Sign in to follow this  
Nice!

Round Saltspring

2015 edition.

Which way will the committee send us?

There's a pretty big flood from about the race start until 4:48 PM. So if it's clockwise that means any boat has to get through Sansum Narrows by then or it's game over. If it's counter-clockwise, the faster boats may hit a wall and not be let through until then, meaning a later finish for them than normal.

Which way would you pick if you were RC?

Clockwise. If you can't get to at least the middle of Sansum by 4:30 you're probably looking at an all nighter anyways. (My boat is only medium-fast so my opinion is semi-unbiased).

We finished the whole race earlier than that on the J/39 one year, going clockwise.

Should be no problem to get to Sansum by 4:30 as long as Beaver Point doesn't serve up too much of a black hole for sailboats to fall into.

Just wish I was there to do it, lived at Ships Point in the eighties, miss it and the sailing/skiing.

Since I'll be on Raven again, I'm hoping its clockwise too. But I'll feel bad for the guy coming from Calgary with his SJ21 if it goes that way.

Yes Beaver point or the dreaded Fulford hole could make it for a long night . Well maybe a Batt rock start can save the clockwise decision lots of over 135 PHRF boats in this race. If no pressure in the AM that may be the call ? .

First in class & 2nd overall ( 100 or so boats I was told ) : Ogopogo Dart #2. Pretty good for a little, fluffy cushioned, sport cruiser.

988545_10152738249666290_563515998791484

-jim lee

And with a beer in hand as well....great photo and well done Jim Lee. Fast looking crew you got there!

Naw, I didin't sail the boat, just responsible for building it.

-jim lee

full disclosure: we removed the cushions for the race. But had plenty of beer. Photo courtesy of the crew of Westerly taken shortly after the start.

post-19487-0-66872100-1432062484_thumb.jpg

The 2016 edition of my favourite race approaches. Looks like it's flooding in Sansum Narrows 11:40 AM to 5:40 PM, which nearly guarantees clockwise around. But one never knows!

Digging the split. 5 Beneslows, 4 Ross's, 3 Olson's, the 2 Dash's, and a handful of bigger furniture in Div 3. Should be a good time!

Calling for 8 knots breeze, so I hope it's steady...

Jeez if you scroll through the day on PredictWind and/or Sailflow we ought to get at least 3 distinct wind directions and everything from 0-18 knots or so. That makes it simple.

Who's ready for the 2017 edition?

Sansum Narrows is ebbing from noon to about 7 PM, so that makes it almost for sure an anti-clockwise racecourse.

One month out and there's already 72 boats registered.

And now it's just a week away until the 2018 edition. Looks like there's almost 100 boats registered. The current to me looks like a clockwise around race.

Who's going? What boat? Which way do you think it will be?

I spent a long time in the dripping wet at the top end of Saltspring many years ago and I swore I would never do that again.

I was all excited to do this one, until I realized it was just one week before Swiftsure. Boo. Too much delivery time, too close together. 

32 minutes ago, Roleur said:

I was all excited to do this one, until I realized it was just one week before Swiftsure. Boo. Too much delivery time, too close together. 

Can't you leave the boat up here somewhere?

11 hours ago, Roleur said:

I think for a lot of lower mainland  and Van Island racers that's kind of the point.  Treat it as a feeder race for SS and splits a 2 day delivery into 1 day chunks.

Salt Spring and Swiftsure tie into the plan of getting DILLIGAF home from Astoria.  May is a busy month.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, Ishmael said:

Can't you leave the boat up here somewhere?

Saltspring is further from Victoria than Orcas, never mind the logistics of trying to get from one island to the other, except by private boat.  Still would love to do this race. The Gulf Islands are a happy place. 

3 hours ago, Roleur said:

Saltspring is further from Victoria than Orcas, never mind the logistics of trying to get from one island to the other, except by private boat.  Still would love to do this race. The Gulf Islands are a happy place. 

I see your point.  Also, when I previously posted, I forgot that the Canuck May long weekend is a week before the American one.

So it works out well for Canadians.  Take Friday or Fri afternoon off to deliver boat to SS. Do Round SS.  Deliver boat to Vic on Monday.

Logistics are tricky but doable. Take WA State Ferry to Sidney, then short cab ride to BC Ferry terminal in Swartz Bay.  Regular sailings to Fulford Harbour on SS and I think there are a couple of sailings to and from Long Harbour daily as well.  Both would then require cab rides to Ganges.

Anyways, if you're interested, here is the BC Ferries Southern Gulf Islands routes and schedule: https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/

Flooding in Sansum Narrows from 2:30 to 21:00. That about guarantees a clockwise rounding.

4 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Logistics are tricky but doable. Take WA State Ferry to Sidney, then short cab ride to BC Ferry terminal in Swartz Bay.  Regular sailings to Fulford Harbour on SS and I think there are a couple of sailings to and from Long Harbour daily as well.  Both would then require cab rides to Ganges.

There's actually a bus that runs from Fulford matching up with the ferry schedule.  I'll be taking that on Friday.  Seems that some rig re-tune is required after the "Exercise in Stupidity".  Looking forward to the race.

On ‎05‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Que said:

There's actually a bus that runs from Fulford matching up with the ferry schedule.  I'll be taking that on Friday.  Seems that some rig re-tune is required after the "Exercise in Stupidity".  Looking forward to the race.

If you are taking that bus and want to get off close to the sailing club, ask the driver to let you off at the top of Beddis road. Walk down the hill and veer left on Douglas road and keep walking down the hill.

There is also the Country Grocer Van that will take you and your money to the CG Grocery store (Beer and wine store next door). Details will be posted in the gatehouse or give em a call: http://www.countrygrocer.com/locations/salt-spring-island/

You can also dinghy to the downtown docks for anything you might need. Moauts Home Hardware has a reasonable marine section. Gov. liquor store in town is cheaper.

Feel free to stop by Firefly (Dock C8) - I'll have a truck and happy to help as much as possible.

:-D