Jim M

What Does Gun Violence Really Cost?

1 minute ago, dogballs Tom said:

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/suicide/index.html

Yes, I know.

And instead of the sensible plastic bag and rope control I suggested earlier in this thread, you're proposing to stop all the suicides that were NOT committed with firearms by grabbing guns?

No. You are making shit up, in a silly direction, just fabricating propaganda and sticking my name on it. (Which is why a few the top guys around here won't mix it up with you on other subjects.)

I am proposing to follow the number one priority to reduce gun suicide. I am discouraging guns in our homes...and in our thinking, and in our lives.

I am an illiterate racist, but I give it a go. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, jocal505 said:
24 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Bloomberg $peak$

But 45,000 is way more impressive. Also, at least the 23,000 imaginary ones you're exploiting don't have families. Or do they have imaginary families?  GHOUL CHOOSES MATH MAJOR

The recent CDC suicide figure, sourced elsewhere, is 45,000, and you are hatin' it. So you apply the Libertarian math, as suggested by Libertarians for homeschooling. 

Yes, you finally got something right.

ALL the libertarian home schooling manuals recommend Bloomberg'$ $peech highly.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Gun deaths in US reach highest level in nearly 40 years, CDC data reveal

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/13/health/gun-deaths-highest-40-years-cdc/

Excerpt -

Nearly 40,000 people in the United States died by guns last year, marking the highest number of gun deaths in decades, according to a new analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's WONDER database.

Most self-murders do happen in the home, but this seems more relevant in a thread about suicides.

I find it a bit ironic (ok more than just a bit) that very likely the same folks here who are opposed to other people having the right to end their own lives are probably very much in favor of a pregnant woman being allowed to choose to end another's life.  

And for the record, I strongly support the right to choose in both cases.  

On 11/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, jocal505 said:

I am proposing to follow the number one priority to reduce gun suicide.

And once again we see your focus is only on ~50% of suicides.

Guess the others are not worth addressing...

On 12/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, bpm57 said:

And once again we see your focus is only on ~50% of suicides.

Guess the others are not worth addressing...

Use your keed DeadEye factor. Or go ask the doctors why guns are the number one suicide problem in the USA.

There are two reasons, they were explained to you recently.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, jocal505 said:

Use your keed DeadEye factor. Or go ask the doctors why guns are the number one suicide problem in the USA.

There are two reasons, they were explained to you recently.

Joe, this would be like saying you support abortion, or at least ambivalent about it as long as the mother doesn't shoot the fetus.  You can rip it out with a coat hanger, suck it out with a vacuum cleaner after cutting it up into pieces, etc.  But just don't shoot it!

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Joe, this would be like saying you support abortion, or at least ambivalent about it as long as the mother doesn't shoot the fetus.  You can rip it out with a coat hanger, suck it out with a vacuum cleaner after cutting it up into pieces, etc.  But just don't shoot it!

Hmmm. This is Jeff's brain, his DNA, stuck on POS.

I like to walk around Rome, Italy at night.  It is fun, common and safe.  Unfortunately, it it not safe in Atlanta.  The reason is the proliferation of guns.  I kept guns in my homes when my children were there.  As a person involved in law enforcement, I felt it necessary.  It is not necessary now so I don't.  I detest all of the murder I have had to investigate.  I testified yesterday in a motion for new trial in which the victim was killed by the man who broke into his car.  The victim was killed by his own handgun. 

12 hours ago, Olsonist said:

MORE CHILDREN WERE SHOT DEAD IN 2017 THAN ON-DUTY POLICE OFFICERS AND ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY, STUDY SAYS

https://www.newsweek.com/kids-and-guns-alarming-rise-firearm-deaths-among-american-children-1370866

Those Well Regulated Militias sure are Necessary for a Free State.

Some 6,464 deaths involved children between 5 to 14 years of age, amounting to 340 deaths annually on average. A further 32,478 children between 15 to 18 years old died, or 2,050 per year on average between 1999 and 2017.

Of these children, 61 percent were killed in an assault involving a firearm, while 32 percent died by suicide. A further 5 percent died in an accident. The death was undetermined in 2 percent of cases.

Usually, when grabbers use suicide statistics to justify gun bans, 2/3 of the people they are talking about committed suicide.

In the case of kids, it's 1/3.

What does this tell us about the need to ban and confiscate scary guns?

12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Another victim claimed by Parland AW wielding killer. 2nd this week.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/second-parkland-student-in-a-week-has-committed-suicide-say-police/

Well, no, self-murders are, as the name implies, committed upon oneself.

The gun doesn't do it. Someone in prison doesn't do it.

The person committing suicide does it.

And they do it at a much higher rate in places like Japan, with an almost zero gun ownership rate.

So quit with the "suicides mean we must DO SOMETHING" bullshit.

Mass killers armed with ASSault weapons continue to kill even after they are killed or incarcerated.  As may victims were claimed by the Columbine killers after their death than before it.  

They are a truly malicious public health hazard  whose cost is unbearable. Tom Dogballs effort to deflect by steering the convo from the ASSault weapons thread is.....

SAD!

On 3/24/2019 at 5:15 PM, Fakenews said:

Another victim claimed by Parland AW wielding killer. 2nd this week.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/second-parkland-student-in-a-week-has-committed-suicide-say-police/

12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Killer armed with assault weapon, aka agent of death, kills another today this time it’s a Sandy Hook victim.  That is three in a week.

https://jezebel.com/father-of-sandy-hook-victim-died-by-apparent-suicide-at-1833544405

Most of our "gun violence" takes the form of suicide. Over 50 people a day.

But only two of those are politically convenient and get brought up to support banning ordinary squirrel shooters.