Jim M

What Does Gun Violence Really Cost?

Cite or it didn't happen. The Lawful Commerce in Arms Act does not protect them from suits for product defects. Just suits for things like suicides, which are the main topic of this thread.

shall not include—

"(5) an action for death, physical injuries or property damage resulting directly from a defect in design or manufacture of the product, when used as intended or in a reasonably foreseeable manner, except that where the discharge of the product was caused by a volitional act that constituted a criminal offense, then such act shall be considered the sole proximate cause of any resulting death, personal injuries or property damage; or

That definitely does protect them from lawsuits for product defects even when a child does not know the meaning of "volitional"

The main topic of the thread was to create a discussion on the best way if any, to mitigate the cost of gun violence.

Yes, I do know how this works as well as you do. People try BS tactics in an effort to make gun ownership more burdensome and expensive. That's how it works, this thread is an example.

You said the law had been interpreted to protect manufacturers from defective product liability. Interpretations are done by courts.

You posted the text of the law, not any court decision. You also omitted a significant part that reverses the meaning you wanted to see. I added it back in bold and red. Are you hard of reading, or just didn't notice that part, or were you just lying?

So I'm still wondering about the answer to that one, MF. Was citing the part of the law that mentions defects without citing the part that makes clear it mentions them to exclude them from liability protection a mistake?

Also, you claimed at post 152 to have cited the Beretta v Adames case, but I've reviewed your posts in this thread and you never cited that nor any other prior to that claim.

Another mistake?

Because neither of them really look like mistakes to me.

Tom, you're letting dogma get in the way of facts. We know that the NRA went to Congress to help themselves out, why else would a judge invalidate a claim that Beretta wasn't liable because the claimant should have known better. That's legalese for pandering out an exception to the rule of law. I don't blame the NRA for what they did, they helped themselves out, the only fault that I see is that they bought their way out and I don't think much of that. But it is what it is.

Let's face it, the gorilla in the room is the NRA with virtual unlimited funding who will brazenly spend it to make sure they prevail in most torts. The evidence of that is the remarkable success they have had over the Brady bunch types in courts of law.

Hey Tom, do you ever get the feeling you are arguing with a 6 year old?

I do, every single time I argue with Jeff.

Come on, Jeff is more of a 12 year old. A 6 year old won't call you a CUNT.

Not sure how this got into the Non-Violence thread, as we've already established that some suicides are violence. (The ones where a gun was used.)

Homicide ... really? Got any figures for the rest of the people killed with guns? You know, like those in my post above, or are you only interested in just one way to die?

Not that long ago you discounted results from other countries, like Australia. Now you seem quite happy to do so, Mmmmm.

Meanwhile, back in the good Ol US of A;

In 1999, 217 million guns, 28,874 people died by gun.

In 2011, 286 million guns, 32,163 people died by gun.

Guns increased by 24% and Deaths by them increased by 11% between 1999 and 2011 while the number of households were the same percentage

THEN

32163 - 28874 = 3,289 more people dead because ..

286 - 217 = 69 million more guns were out there.

SO

69,000,000/3,289 = 20,979 guns per annual death.

Randoms' Law states that ... For every 21,000 additional guns sold one death a year will result."

Proving my point that more guns = more deaths.

If we just stop selling guns, we'll all be immortal!

Or maybe that's a dumb idea. We need a wise Aussie to show us how reform is done. What have you done so far to stop Aussie Apartheid, random?

So you have capitulated on the topic and once again focused on the messenger. I'll take that as a complement to my research and the soundness of the numbers presented.

But you are mixing topics. I was talking about the relationship between gun sales and deaths, but you always want to talk about race Tom. Why is that?

If we just stop selling guns, we'll all be immortal!

Or maybe that's a ran-dumb idea.

FIFY

So you have capitulated on the topic and once again focused on the messenger. I'll take that as a complement to my research and the soundness of the numbers presented.

But you are mixing topics. I was talking about the relationship between gun sales and deaths, but you always want to talk about race Tom. Why is that?

I can answer part of that.

-- Tom rotates a list of irritating troll topics to get attention.

--Then he steers the conversation into the weeds of his libertarian-based ideology training.

--The flow of the troll topics is predictable, and finite.

--The key with Tom is the dodging (WHEN he shifts the troll topic). Look to what he just avoided discussing... especially the vacuous evidence base for his...opinions.

--His humble "messenger" copout masks the fact that he feels a compelling need to twist facts and use deceit and dishonesty to support his position.

--"They r taking my guns" is itself freudian.

The part of this I can't answer is the particular troll topic of race.

Tom is a decent guy, so WTF?

This isn't conscious racism as much as a sub-conscious un-easiness about race.

I've asked him to quit the race discussion, quite a few different ways.

It got under my skin once, but I took a shower and climbed a mountain and re-gained my perspective.

One week later, it's like a moth back to da fire for Uncle Tom Ray.

At least he is in good company. The Friends of the NRA can help him sort it.

After reading the article below, a drastic reduction in the numbers of guns would get a drastic reduction in gun deaths but there are other forces at play perhaps. The overall culture and attitude of the citizens.

If you want to see the first Nine reasons see here. But Number 10 was...

10. Fewer guns. You had Port Arthur in 1996 and got real in response. America replicates such massacres several times a year and nothing changes. Why? Our religion of individual rights makes the good of the community an impossible dream. Instead of mateship we have ''It's mine and nobody else's''. We talk a great game about freedom, but too often live in fear.

There's more to say - your kaleidoscopic birds, your perfumed bush in springtime, your vast beaches. These are just a few blessings that make Australia a rarity. Of course, it's not paradise - nowhere is - but I love it here. No need to wave flags like Americans and add to the world's windiness. Just value what you have and don't give it away.

David Mason is a US writer and professor, and poet laureate of Colorado.

Randumb is not an Aussie.

Just value what you have and don't give it away.

Excellent advice. We value our rights, all of them, and we are not giving them away....

It seems that in a country where all are free, nothing is.

No one ever claimed that freedom was free.

No one ever claimed that freedom was free.

But everyone is so fuckin scared they have to carry guns! Doesn't seem too free to me.

Really? Everyone carries guns?

That's just not true in my experience.

I'm not carrying one at the moment.

It's pretty terrifying facing the morning this way. I usually need to shoot someone pretty much right away.

(very cool post, hate to snip it)

I talked to my mother about his case again. She said, "He got Judge Morphonios, the hanging judge. She'd do that."

Look her up. My mom said she was in the courtroom for the "Nice shot" comment.

I talked to "Ernie" the other day. Told him I want to come see him and that I didn't think he should be locked up for the rest of his life. I'm going to look into whether there's any way to get him out. Seems rehabilitated to me. Somehow. Despite our prison system, not because of it. Life changes us.

+1. A very sensitive post.

Such admirable compassion could be applied to 309 gunshot victims, every day. And to people whom you race-bait.

Life changes some of us, sometimes.

This was posted in a thread that was not about me nor about guns, but the stat used brings me back to this thread.

Politifact says that to reach that number, you must include all the suicides by gun.

As mentioned, I believe in self-ownership and the right to die.

Guns accelerate our suicide rates. Guns contribute to impulsive deaths; each gun suicide is taken by many as a social and family tragedy.

I can agree with the choice-to-die side, but only as far as death with dignity.

There is nothing dignified, at all, about a gun suicide.

On the contrary, blasting one's brains out is traumatic, and ugly, for many.

Is suicide just a straw man here?

If you ignore the suicides --... then the number of people who got shot, either fatally or non-fatally, was about 86,000, or roughly 235 a day... And the daily number of firearm deaths would be substantially lower -- 35 per day, rather than the 87 cited in the Facebook post.

Pasted from <http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/23/facebook-posts/do-people-get-shot-every-year-facebook-post-says/>

Your cheery source: If you remove the gun suicides, then 235 humans get shot in the USA every day.

Care to comment on them?

Guns accelerate our suicide rates. Guns contribute to impulsive deaths; each gun suicide is taken by many as a social and family tragedy.

We agree that guns are a terrible choice for suicide. The difference is that I see no need to impose my preference in that matter on others. I'd impose it on anyone whose body I own. That's just me. So rest assured, I won't blast my brains out.

We agree that guns are a terrible choice for suicide. The difference is that I see no need to impose my preference in that matter on others. I'd impose it on anyone whose body I own. That's just me. So rest assured, I won't blast my brains out.

If done correctly I'd rather a loved do it with a gun than a rope.

Is suicide just a straw man here?

If you ignore the suicides --... then the number of people who got shot, either fatally or non-fatally, was about 86,000, or roughly 235 a day... And the daily number of firearm deaths would be substantially lower -- 35 per day, rather than the 87 cited in the Facebook post.

Pasted from <http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/23/facebook-posts/do-people-get-shot-every-year-facebook-post-says/>

Your cheery source: If you remove the gun suicides, then 235 humans get shot in the USA every day.

Care to comment on them?

I'm certain ALL suicides are taken that way by friends and family.

And frankly I've seen loved ones die much more tragic deaths than that. A quick self induced death would have brought me peace.

Sorry jojo - dead is dead. And there is nothing "dignified" about hanging yourself either. Or slashing your wrists. Or......

And if the mess is all you have a problem with, then maybe we should recommend that self-killers put a plastic garbage bag over their head before they pull the trigger. No muss, no fuss. Take the brains out with the trash on Monday. You ok with that compromise, joe?

Problem SOLved.

Hey JB. Seems that your preferences and biases have absolutely nothing to so with people who have and will blow their brains out in a fit of depression. Sorry to tell you that they aren't listening to you, even if you do feel superior and right.

Hey JB. Seems that your preferences and biases have absolutely nothing to so with people who have and will blow their brains out in a fit of depression. Sorry to tell you that they aren't listening to you, even if you do feel superior and right.

You are partially right. I feel bad for people who have gotten to the point in life when they have no way out and they choose to leave this world. But I begrudge them neither that choice nor the means with which to carry it out.

Furthermore, taking away all of our guns just to save a few quitters doesn't address the root causes of their depression. Their right to not die messily in no way supersedes my right to own a gun. If you want people to stop committing self-murder - then address mental health rather than inanimate pieces of plastic and metal.

And if society isn't willing to address the actual real causes of suicide and instead wants to punish the rest of us for the choices of a few - then I would rather accept the 15K some odd suicides per year using a gun than abridge the right of even a single a law-abiding citizen. Call it the price of doing business in truly free society.

Yep I get it, the deaths of others is a price you are willing pay.

We only "pay" that price to the extent that we own those lives. Since we don't...

BTW, as the Pink Pistols pointed out here, the second is not our only amendment that carries social costs. The fourth amendment's exclusion rules result in the release of lots of really dangerous people each year. We know they're going to go back out and do bad things.

Don't have time to read the attachment.

From what I have seen all you Amendments don't seem to count for much around guns. The Open carry thing is the best example. No longer tolerated despite what the Amendment says.

Sorry jojo - dead is dead. And there is nothing "dignified" about hanging yourself either. Or slashing your wrists. Or......

And if the mess is all you have a problem with, then maybe we should recommend that self-killers put a plastic garbage bag over their head before they pull the trigger. No muss, no fuss. Take the brains out with the trash on Monday. You ok with that compromise, joe?

Problem SOLved.

You sound quite cheery about our volume of gun suicides. You find them just ducky, you say.

Your crude manner has a fine match in U.S. gun mentality.

I can see where the NRA, and its values, would be attractive to you.

This package (your manner, your deadly justifications, your guns, and your gun club) becomes an extension of the gun problem.

Then reply after you find the time. You seem to have plenty of time to post here daily.

I think you lack the interest to learn, not the time.

Just because you choose to post, doesn't obligate me or anyone else to read it. I opened it then it looked like too much work in 'legalese'. If you want to make a point make it accessible or no one will read it and the fault lies with you.

Just because you choose to post, doesn't obligate me or anyone else to read it. I opened it then it looked like too much work in 'legalese'. If you want to make a point make it accessible or no one will read it and the fault lies with you.

Ah, so "don't have time" becomes "looks too much like work" and your laziness is my fault?

The link made it accessible to me. Well, the link and an inclination to learn.

Too much work means not enough time to comprehend the contents. This is an online forum, understand that the method of communication is different to a legal group. Ignore that at your peril. You are the one that may be wasting your time otherwise.

If you post something that takes more than a minute to read, it won't get read, by me and most others here. Do some work Tom, a couple of sentences, a few short paragraphs to make your point is what is required here. Ant more complicated than that and you will waste your time.

You could have read it in the half hour that has passed. But you didn't.

Oh cut him some slack, Tom. He's already admitted he couldn't comprehend the subject matter and just gave up. At least he admits his limitations. Sometimes.

Ah, so "don't have time" becomes "looks too much like work" and your laziness is my fault?

The link made it accessible to me. Well, the link and an inclination to learn.

That's not what you said another time. And it really struck me.

It was to the effect that you didn't need to consider anti-gun points of view, that you had already considered them, and knew better. As if you had moved on.

Your mind seemed pretty made up that day.

It hit me hard because you blatantly ignore a TON of learned research. Just sayin'.

I wish I could cite the conversation. I can only cite what I posted to you then.

"The fool doth think he is wise: the wise man knows himself to be a fool"

- W. Shakespeare

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Isaac Asimov

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

--M. L. King

We only "pay" that price to the extent that we own those lives. Since we don't...

BTW, as the Pink Pistols pointed out here, the second is not our only amendment that carries social costs. The fourth amendment's exclusion rules result in the release of lots of really dangerous people each year. We know they're going to go back out and do bad things.

Again, you kind of absolve all gun damage by dismissing all gun suicides...as (whew) totally okay.

You are stretching decency, as we know it, as you do this, buster.

I asked this previously. What about the other deaths and injuries?

110,000 total gun casualties (counting injuries) less 19,000 suicides is 91,000 gun casualties per year.

Writing off all gun suicides already has you on thin ethical ice here.

Please comment on the other, non-suicidal, 255 gun casualties, per day.

If you post something that takes more than a minute to read, it won't get read, by me and most others here. Do some work Tom, a couple of sentences, a few short paragraphs to make your point is what is required here. Ant more complicated than that and you will waste your time.

You have a great point.

I've cut my column inches way down.

But first, I made sure the bully boys had "eyeballs on" the best studies out there.

Their ignorant lot had much to ignore, didn't they? It was a Full Text tsunami. Yeah, sorry.

random, let's say for a moment that de-bunking is admirable, or fun.

If disinformation persists, or dumbassery reigns on the gun forums, that's when the SA Gun Club makes for a target-rich environment.

We have a groove here. They like to ignore evidence-based research, and I like to present knowledge, and sourced facts about the gun situation.

One minute reading time, max? That's a challenge around here.

I exaggerated. I suspect that the message needs to be visible in less than that. You can read a lot in a minute, most won't bother. It looks the same as a lengthy bibliography oft used by some. They know that no one will look at them but it looks important.

Takes effort to distill the message to a digestible size. This is a different medium and most scan rather than read threads. As I said to Tom, it takes effort to predigest the message, less effort to link, less effective.

From what I have seen all you Amendments don't seem to count for much around guns. The Open carry thing is the best example. No longer tolerated despite what the Amendment says.

Tom was being cute, and ethereal. His subject was gun rights outdoors.

The attachment was a Rick-Roll. Tom's link went to the 25-page Peruta decision.

The Peruta decision was a stretch, but it influenced guns being okay outdoors.

Much of Judge Scullin's reasoning followed from the recent Peruta decision, in which the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a concealed-carry law that had effectively made it impossible to carry a gun outside the home in San Diego County. This decision struck down the County's law which required applicants to show "good cause" for wanting to carry a gun outside the home, because the definition of good cause went far beyond a general desire for self-protection and basically required the applicant to prove that without a gun he or she would be unable to protect themselves against a specific threat and therefore would be placing themselves in "harm's way." The Peruta decision claimed that the 2nd Amendment, as decided in Heller, required some form of concealed-carry outside the home. This is an interesting reading of Scalia's decision in Heller, which explicitly limited civilian ownership of guns to keeping them within the home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/dc-concealed-carry-guns_b_5626590.html>

Tom, I was hoping you could link me to any court decision which went into the following logic or argument:

"The First Amendment applies to the Internet even though it hadn't been invented when the Constitution was written; so the Second Amendment gives me the right to own a modern sporting rifle."

Again, you kind of absolve all gun damage by dismissing all gun suicides...as (whew) totally okay.

110,000 total gun casualties (counting injuries) less 19,000 suicides is 91,000 gun casualties per year.

"I don't think I have a right to interfere with what you're doing" and

"I'm totally OK with what you're doing" are different sentiments to me.

As for the other people, some are actually attempted firearms suicides that failed, some are aggressive acts of violence, some are defensive gun uses, a handful are accidents. Those are 4 very different groups. Do defensive gun uses really belong among the "costs of gun violence"?

I exaggerated. I suspect that the message needs to be visible in less than that. You can read a lot in a minute, most won't bother. It looks the same as a lengthy bibliography oft used by some. They know that no one will look at them but it looks important.

Takes effort to distill the message to a digestible size. This is a different medium and most scan rather than read threads. As I said to Tom, it takes effort to predigest the message, less effort to link, less effective.

Randumb, I'm curious.... how old are you? I'm betting mid 20s something?

As for the other people, some are actually attempted firearms suicides that failed, some are aggressive acts of violence, some are defensive gun uses, a handful are accidents. Those are 4 very different groups. Do defensive gun uses really belong among the "costs of gun violence"?

Of course they do. According to tweedle-jo - they are vigilante murders. Tweedle-(ran)dumb agrees.

Clown toss, I'm curious.... how old are you? I'm betting old, bitter, washed up and cleaning toilets for a living... :lol:

Clown toss, I'm curious.... how old are you? I'm betting old, bitter, washed up and cleaning toilets for a living... :lol:

I know Jeff personally....and you couldn't be more fuking wrong if you tried. Idiot....

Old and bitter, yes. Washed up and cleaning toilets for a living, no.

Sailing my ass off and enjoying life..... absofuckinglutely! Suck it clown-boi

I'm thinking idiot boi should change his name to Fuk-Stik Joe.....

Tom Ray, you just failed to answer a very, VERY pertinent question.

What about the daily meatgrinder in the USA, driven by gun fever?

You are our SA Gun Club prophet, more or less. Go ahead and weigh in on this.

When YOU start answering very, VERY pertinent questions without dodging - then we might take you seriously and reciprocate. Until then, blow me.

Sorry, I must have overlooked them. If I were to comment on them, I'd probably say some are actually attempted firearms suicides that failed, some are aggressive acts of violence, some are defensive gun uses, a handful are accidents. Those are 4 very different groups. Do defensive gun uses really belong among the "costs of gun violence"?

Sorry, I must have overlooked them. If I were to comment on them, I'd probably say some are actually attempted firearms suicides that failed, some are aggressive acts of violence, some are defensive gun uses, a handful are accidents. Those are 4 very different groups. Do defensive gun uses really belong among the "costs of gun violence"?

It should probably be added to the benefit column of the cost/benefit spreadsheet.

More dodger bullshit. And a third failure to address 255 gun casualties per day.

This isn't about DGU's, that seems to be a sidetrack mechanism.

1.some are actually attempted firearms suicides that failed

Not many, Tom. But how is any "failed suicide" without effects, or acceptable? Each is a firearm casualty.

2. some are aggressive acts of violence ALL of them are "aggressive acts of violence". Each is a firearm casualty.

3. some are defensive gun uses Note: Tom, you have failed to document these. The best media research has counted 1600 DGU's/yr. max. The figure is pretty insignificant.

4. a handful are accidents. Handful? About 700 gun accidents occur per year, and each is a gun casualty.

Let's get back to the question I asked. What about the massive scale of gun casualty in the USA?

Why aren't you weighing 255 deaths and injuries per day (NOT COUNTING THE 55 SUICIDES PER DAY) against the libertarian "benefits" of guns everywhere?

Why are you avoiding that?

Problem SOLved.

This sounds pathological, Jeff.

Tom, Jeff, check your attitudes, eh?

I've told you twice about a neighbor boy who offed himself . One of nine brothers, they were my mates.

That kid could laugh, he could run, he was not unlike the kid in Stand by Me.

There was nothing beneficial or right about what went down.

I know with certainty that such an occurrence is not exactly swept away by the trashman.

No bad intentions set up that suicide.

Actually, the love of hunting elk set it up.

When YOU start answering very, VERY pertinent questions without dodging - then we might take you seriously and reciprocate. Until then, blow me.

VERY pertinent questions

If a woman was being raped, and she used a gun, would she be a vigilante?

Yes or No.

Deliverance_027Pyxurz_zpsnosfljro.jpg

I don't feel any need to hang any label on such a woman...and I'm pulling for her, too, Simple Jeff.

Yo, she will shoot fourteen associates before she shoots a stranger rapist.

Your question was leading, tricky, myopic...and set in a YES or NO format.

Yet, your question was described both as "simple" and "reasonable."

It was of the "Have you stopped beating your wife lately" variety.

I liked the hell out of my answers, Jeffie.

"No badge required" shows mental preparation and rationalization for taking the law into one's own hands.

"Donut eater" is code for "My justice is better, and faster, than law enforcement."

And dude, I can see where this is going.

For example, Boothy can justify a certain bullet in a certain perp's back. Others can justify other shootings of other perps in the back, of course.

Guns are seductive. And guns plus adolescent values will lead to vigilantism, IMO.

Here's what you get:SheriffDavidClarke_zps76d5a818.png

More dodger bullshit. And a third failure to address 255 gun casualties per day.

Not many, Tom. But how is any "failed suicide" without effects, or acceptable? Each is a firearm casualty.

2. some are aggressive acts of violence ALL of them are "aggressive acts of violence". Each is a firearm casualty.

3. some are defensive gun uses Note: Tom, you have failed to document these. The best media research has counted 1600 DGU's/yr. max. The figure is pretty insignificant.

4. a handful are accidents. Handful? About 700 gun accidents occur per year, and each is a gun casualty.

Let's get back to the question I asked. What about the massive scale of gun casualty in the USA?

Why aren't you weighing 255 deaths and injuries per day (NOT COUNTING THE 55 SUICIDES PER DAY) against the libertarian "benefits" of guns everywhere?

1. Once again, the fact that I feel I don't have the right to interfere in someone's life does not mean I find all of their behavior acceptable. It simply means I don't have a right to interfere.

2. I don't consider aggression and defense to be the same thing.

3. I'll go with the CDC over the "best media research" on that point.

4. Yes, a handful. In the context of the 93,000 incidents you asked about, 700 is a handful.

But why are we talking about all of this in a thread that's primarily about suicide. Why don't you explain why you feel you have a right to interfere if someone wants to end his life. Do you own his life, or does he?

One of 255

An 18 year old male named Adric White enters a Family Dollar while wearing a mask and carrying a gun. He holds employees at gun point, and is ordering them around when a conceal-carry Good Samaritan noticed the crime in progress. Knowing that seconds can count when police are minutes away, the Good Samaritan entered the store and told the criminal not to move, his own firearm out and pointed at the robber. Instead of doing what he was told, the robber spun around to face the Good Samaritan, which earned him five well placed bullets. Adric survived the shooting.

Adric’s family got involved, but not in the way most would like to think. Instead of giving a wounded Adric the speech about crime and consequences, and how lucky he was to survive, the family turned against the Good Samaritan, arguing that if the customer’s life wasn’t immediately in danger, he should have left the store and do nothing. That he should have minded his own business....

Having a young man wearing a mask point a gun at you and demand money is in no way threatening. He was just explaining an economic reality! It's really sad that he was injured while peacefully going about his business.

Is that what you were looking for, jocal?

More on Adric White

White was out of jail on bond after previously robbing The Original Oyster House at gunpoint just a little over a month before he robbed the Family Dollar.

Accomplice Tavoris Moss, 19, was also arrested in the Family Dollar robbery.

We should probably have some kind of rule against armed robbers who are out on bail having guns. That surely would have prevented this.

That link is broken but a video of the Oyster House robbery report is available. His accomplice that time around was a guy named Tavoris Montgomery. Tavoris M. two months in a row? What are the odds?

1. Once again, the fact that I feel I don't have the right to interfere in someone's life does not mean I find all of their behavior acceptable. It simply means I don't have a right to interfere.

2. I don't consider aggression and defense to be the same thing.

3. I'll go with the CDC Gary Kleck's nonsense figures over the "best media research" on that point.

4. Yes, a handful. In the context of the 93,000 incidents you asked about, 700 is a handful.

But why are we talking about all of this in a thread that's primarily about suicide. Why don't you explain why you feel you have a right to interfere if someone wants to end his life. Do you own his life, or does he?

Can you count, Tom? Seven hundred lives lost, each year, is just not "a handful".

You have the nerve to claim that in the enormity of the problem, now gun accidents can be just written off. WTF?

Listen to yourself, mate.

"Firearm accidents are insignificant and tolerable, because the gun mess is way up at 90K/yr, not counting suicides."

Back to suicide. You think your degenerate view, that all gun suicides are sweet, somehow justifies or masks massive gun casualties.

And I think both these points of view POV (that gun suicides are fine, and that gun accidents are few) expose some seriously shitty ethics.

Twice.

I also think that too many people with shitty ethics, like yours, are drawn to guns.

This combination seems to be a bad mix.

Jocal, roughly 50% of suicides (I'm too lazy to look the actual number up) are committed with a gun.

What about the other 50% that commit self-murder with other means such as ropes, razors, poison, drugs, cars, etc? Why don't you care about them? Are they also not important and worthy of your ire? Why aren't you mounting a national campaign against the razor mentality? Or jumping off bridges mentality?? It only matters if its messy?

Talk about dodging.....

One of 255

An 18 year old male named Adric White enters a Family Dollar while wearing a mask and carrying a gun. He holds employees at gun point, and is ordering them around when a conceal-carry Good Samaritan noticed the crime in progress. Knowing that seconds can count when police are minutes away, the Good Samaritan entered the store and told the criminal not to move, his own firearm out and pointed at the robber. Instead of doing what he was told, the robber spun around to face the Good Samaritan, which earned him five well placed bullets. Adric survived the shooting.

Adric’s family got involved, but not in the way most would like to think. Instead of giving a wounded Adric the speech about crime and consequences, and how lucky he was to survive, the family turned against the Good Samaritan, arguing that if the customer’s life wasn’t immediately in danger, he should have left the store and do nothing. That he should have minded his own business....

Having a young man wearing a mask point a gun at you and demand money is in no way threatening. He was just explaining an economic reality! It's really sad that he was injured while peacefully going about his business.

Is that what you were looking for, jocal?

Reductio ad absurdam.

The statistics for armed good samaritans supporting public safety are questionable.

In fact, any such CCP claims have been soundly de-bunked in several major studies.

Gary Kleck's work was NOT supported in peer review.

Kleck hasn't been published by a quality journal since the NRS debunked Lott in 2004.

This researcher, however has a stream of current peer-reviewed work:

Kleck and Lott's formal peer review conclusion (written by Daniel Webster)

Although research by John Lott and Gary Kleck has challenged the prevailing view that

gun regulations can reduce lethal crimes, the many limitations of Lott’s and Kleck’s research

indicate that there is no reason to move from view of guns and violence backed by research in

previous decades. Until proven otherwise, the best science indicates that more guns will lead

to more deaths.

http://www.bmsg.org/pdfs/myths.pdf

Jocal, roughly 50% of suicides (I'm too lazy to look the actual number up) are committed with a gun.

What about the other 50% that commit self-murder with other means such as ropes, razors, poison, drugs, cars, etc? Why don't you care about them? Are they also not important and worthy of your ire? Why aren't you mounting a national campaign against the razor mentality? Or jumping off bridges mentality?? It only matters if its messy?

Talk about dodging.....

Gun suicides, but not other forms of suicide, are extremely high in the USA.

This is a quantified public health problem.

Other forms of suicide (plastic bag suicides, hang glider suicides, or take-your-pick) are not out of whack.

Your gun suicide beliefs are convenient to your narrative, but they are denial itself.

The Cuntfinder needs to reflect that dumping on me non-stop doesn't address our gun suicide problem.

Gun%20control%20girl.jpg

This is cheap, uncivilized logic.

Please show me a credible study that says guns will improve the safety of women in the USA.

Here's one that strongly suggests otherwise:

Here's one that lays out rape at college.The Nursetta will soon be shooting up her own social circle.

Rick, you like FBI info, so check this out:

FBI report on Women and Self Defense

In 2009…1,818 females were murdered by males in single victim/single offender incidents that were submitted to the FBI for its Supplementary Homicide Report. Examination of that data dispels many of the myths regarding the nature of lethal violence against females.

• For homicides in which victim-to-offender relationship could be identified, 93% of female victim (1,579 out of 1,693) were murdered by a male they knew.
  • Nearly fourteen times as may females were murdered by a male they knew (1,579 victims) as were killed by male strangers (114 victims).
  • For victims who knew their offenders, 63% (989) of female homicide victims were wives or intimate acquaintances of their killers.
  • There were 296 women shot and killed by either their husbands or acquaintances during the course of an argument.
  • Nationwide, for homicides in which the weapon could be determined (1,654), more female homicides were committed with firearms (53%) than any other weapon.

Don't you care about those 114 dead women? ....

Please show me a credible study that says guns will improve the safety of women in the USA.

You make this too easy.... Like a softball over the center of the plate:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18319/priorities-for-research-to-reduce-the-threat-of-firearm-related-violence

Is the CDC credible enough for you?

I suspect we are about to learn that the CDC is the propaganda arm of the NRA.

And bank rolled by Team Glock....

You tell me. I can't figure this out.

I still want to know how Kleck became the DGU chair for the CDC/IOM/NAS 2013 work.

I contacted some key guys to find out. (Twitter has placed me among about eight others as "followers" of the key research orgs. Mutual contact is easy, quick, and direct.)

Tom Diaz, the ex-VPC junkyard dog of anti-gun characters, deferred at first, then offered a "third rail" premesis.

Dr. Daniel Webster responded, too, but would not answer the question.

No matter how he got the job, Dr. Gary Kleck's work has been challenged by key players, and it is just plain unsupported by others.

The only exceptions I can find are the work of Mark Gius, and Kastes and Mauser.

Kates is a lobby schill, with testimony for hire. Mauser is or was an exec in the Canadian NRA.

Gius' own study conclusion flat-out suggested that loopholes in present laws might explain their failure in his pro-gun conclusion. His work was not accepted into any peer-reviewed journals. (The links go to the work of the respective men.)

History will not be kind to Gary Kleck...unlike how it has sorted Arthur Kellerman already.

You make this too easy.... Like a softball over the center of the plate:

1. Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker:

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18319/priorities-for-research-to-reduce-the-threat-of-firearm-related-violence

Our question related to WOMEN and guns. That CDC report had no section on women, IIRC.

Not if cherry-picked. Overall, the IOM (the actual authors of the report for the CDC) cautioned that gun mishaps have to be weighed against iffy DGU benefits.

Then they stated the overall benefits needed confirmation by better study.

What is Cuntfinder the Great's position on federal funds for gun violence study?

Your quote leads us to the study which suggests that gunpackers draw danger (meaning assaults) 450% more than normal people.

Hmmm. When combined, these two studies suggest after gun carriers are a catalyst for trouble, they face better odds.

See the U.S. gun mentality in action, right here:

Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault

The Branas Study , Publication Date: November 2009, Charles C. Branas, PhD,

Therese S. Richmond, PhD, CRNP, Dennis P. Culhane, PhD, Thomas R. Ten Have, PhD, MPH, and Douglas J. Wiebe, PhD

This is a case-control study that looks at the relationship between being shot in an assault and possession of a gun at the time.

The most striking finding from the study is that individuals in possession of a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, the adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.5.

The study concludes that: “On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault.”

You follow someone on twitter and think that makes you buddies? That is delusional stalker behavior right there. Someone ought to warn those folks,

You follow someone on twitter and think that makes you buddies? That is delusional stalker behavior right there. Someone ought to warn those folks,

I didn't say that, Len.

You used to be a cut above disparagement and ad hominems. What happened?

Do you have any comment on the subject matter at hand?

I pointed out the amazing present-tense capability of direct communication with key players in this issue.

I didn't see that coming...especially on Twitter.

I get much better info about gun violence issues from Twitter feeds than from media or PA.

Some social media comments sections are sourced, and loaded with non-incendiary discussion.

Most investigative journalist articles even offer a direct e-mail.

My side of the gun debate is refreshingly open, Len.

I hope your forty five guns are doing well.

Yep, you were correct.....

Talk about dodging.....

Gun suicides, but not other forms of suicide, are extremely high in the USA.

This is a quantified public health problem.

Other forms of suicide (plastic bag suicides, hang glider suicides, or take-your-pick) are not out of whack.

Listen to yourself, mate.

"THOUSANDS OF SUICIDES PER YEAR DON'T COUNT IF THEY WERE NOT COMMITTED USING A GUN!"

We're putting quotation marks around complete distortions now, right? Just want to make sure I'm playing on your field.

This is about the massive Dr. Seigal's 2013 study, done by a Harvard school, and published in the swanky Journal of AMA.

Actually, it’s hard to find a more robust correlation in the social sciences than the one between gun laws and gun violence. The cry comes back: “But those are just correlations. They don’t prove causes!” And, indeed, the most recent damning study, published in that cranky, left-wing rag the Jourmal of American Medicine which shows a clear correlation, state to state, between strong gun laws and less gun violence—...

From the link:

Importance Over 30 000 people die annually in the United States from injuries caused by firearms. Although most firearm laws are enacted by states, whether the laws are associated with rates of firearm deaths is uncertain.

And on and on and on with the "suicides are gun violence" meme.

They've proven that people with access to tools use them, but people without access to tools do not. It's shocking stuff. And has nothing to do with what normal people think of when you say the word "violence."

You need to repeat the phrase "self murder" endlessly for quite a few more years before anyone is going to buy it.

Three Juvenile Criminals Pick Wrong Men to Rob – One Dead, One in Critical Condition

CBS Local reported:

Officers rushed to 431 S. Kalispell Way on reports of a shooting just before 11 p.m. Friday. When they arrived at the Bayberry condominiums off Alameda and South Kalispell Way, officers found two males with gunshot wounds. Both were rushed to the hospital…

…Police confirmed that one of the males died at the hospital and the other was treated for critical injuries. Another male suffered non-life threatening injuries in the shooting.

Police say three white males in their 20s were moving into an apartment building when they were approached by three black males between the ages of 16-20 in the foyer of the apartment building. Those males demanded their money at gunpoint.

“Two of the movers started to hand over their money, the third mover who was in fear for his safety of his friends, pulled out his weapon,” said Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz.

During the alleged robbery, the third male who was with the moving party, grabbed a firearm and shot towards the robbery suspects. Police say he shot each one of them.

One of the suspects died, another was wounded and was in serious condition on Saturday afternoon, and the third male walked into an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the shoulder. He is expected to survive and was taken into custody on unrelated charges.

The suspects have not been identified. The man who fired the shots has not arrested or charged. Police say he was questioned and released.

“I don’t think we would call this necessarily a make-my-day issue. This is a straight up regular common sense statutorily codified self defense,” said Brauchler.

Three Juvenile Criminals Pick Wrong Men to Rob One Dead, One in Critical Condition

CBS Local reported:

Officers rushed to 431 S. Kalispell Way on reports of a shooting just before 11 p.m. Friday. When they arrived at the Bayberry condominiums off Alameda and South Kalispell Way, officers found two males with gunshot wounds. Both were rushed to the hospital

Police confirmed that one of the males died at the hospital and the other was treated for critical injuries. Another male suffered non-life threatening injuries in the shooting.

Police say three white males in their 20s were moving into an apartment building when they were approached by three black males between the ages of 16-20 in the foyer of the apartment building. Those males demanded their money at gunpoint.

Two of the movers started to hand over their money, the third mover who was in fear for his safety of his friends, pulled out his weapon, said Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz.

During the alleged robbery, the third male who was with the moving party, grabbed a firearm and shot towards the robbery suspects. Police say he shot each one of them.

One of the suspects died, another was wounded and was in serious condition on Saturday afternoon, and the third male walked into an area hospital with a gunshot wound to the shoulder. He is expected to survive and was taken into custody on unrelated charges.

The suspects have not been identified. The man who fired the shots has not arrested or charged. Police say he was questioned and released.

I dont think we would call this necessarily a make-my-day issue. This is a straight up regular common sense statutorily codified self defense, said Brauchler.

The shooter was definitely a vigilante. If he had just quietly given in to the criminals and been robbed and/killed, none of this would have happened. He obviously left the house that day with a mentality to kill.

Three Juvenile Criminals Pick Wrong Men to Rob One Dead, One in Critical Condition

CBS Local reported:

Officers rushed to 431 S. Kalispell Way on reports of a shooting just before 11 p.m. Friday. When they arrived at the Bayberry condominiums off Alameda and South Kalispell Way, officers found two males with gunshot wounds. Both were rushed to the hospital

Police confirmed that one of the males died at the hospital and the other was treated for critical injuries. Another male suffered non-life threatening injuries in the shooting.

Two of the movers started to hand over their money, the third mover who was in fear for his safety of his friends, pulled out his weapon, said Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz.

I dont think we would call this necessarily a make-my-day issue. This is a straight up regular common sense statutorily codified self defense, said Brauchler.

The shooter was definitely a vigilante. If he had just quietly given in to the criminals and been robbed and/killed, none of this would have happened. He obviously left the house that day with a mentality to kill.

When calculating the "cost of gun violence', how do you factor in the value of a life saved, a robbery or rape or murder prevented. These things are never a part of the calculus of the folks who want people to surrender their firearms.

CBS Local reported:

When calculating the "cost of gun violence', how do you factor in the value of a life saved, a robbery or rape or murder prevented. These things are never a part of the calculus of the folks who want people to surrender their firearms.

None of this is even suicide-related. Didn't you guys read the topic post? The thread is mostly about suicides.

The Myth of Defensive Gun Ownership thread would have been a better choice.

CBS Local reported:

I've brought this up several times in the past and each time its been ignored by jocal and his band of merry grabbers.....

This is about the massive Dr. Seigal's 2013 study, done by a Harvard school, and published in the swanky Journal of AMA.

Actually, it’s hard to find a more robust correlation in the social sciences than the one between gun laws and gun violence. The cry comes back: “But those are just correlations. They don’t prove causes!” And, indeed, the most recent damning study, published in that cranky, left-wing rag the Jourmal of American Medicine which shows a clear correlation, state to state, between strong gun laws and less gun violence—...

From the link:

Importance Over 30 000 people die annually in the United States from injuries caused by firearms. Although most firearm laws are enacted by states, whether the laws are associated with rates of firearm deaths is uncertain.

And on and on and on with the "suicides are gun violence" meme.

On and on with no comprehension of loved ones rashly lost to suicide.

They've