Jim M

What Does Gun Violence Really Cost?

Nice bullshit as usual. "Violent Crime"? So you are comparing gun numbers to Beatings?

Meanwhile ...

In the United States, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

Year: Deaths

2013: 33,636

2012: 33,563

2011: 32,351

2010: 31,672

2009: 31,347

2008: 31,593

2007: 31,224

2006: 30,896

2005: 30,694

2004: 29,569

2003: 30,136

2002: 30,242

2001: 29,573

2000: 28,663

1999: 28,874

How dare you mix violent crimes with violent crimes? Outrageous!

Now excuse me while I mix self-murders with actual murders and accidents!

Hey it's Tom, the NRA spokesperson. So how was the last "Friends of the NRA" meeting? Any black people rock up this time?

Oh sorry, that's right I forgot. The NRA is about white people having guns to protect themselves from a slave rebellion.

Hey it's Tom, the NRA spokesperson. So how was the last "Friends of the NRA" meeting? Any black people rock up this time?

Oh sorry, that's right I forgot. The NRA is about white people having guns to protect themselves from a slave rebellion.

I've been waiting and waiting for you to actually ask that question.

You assumed, based on one picture, that no black people were in attendance. You assumed wrong. Yes, black people "rocked up" last time.

But feel free to continue pursuing your wrong assumption and act like you never actually asked a question and learned something. It will be more in character.

Go for it PoxDog. The record of the US invasions in the last years if one of fail after fail after fucking fail. Losers.

"If we get chased out of Iraq with our tail between our legs, that will be the fifth consecutive Third-world country with no hint of a Navy or an Air Force to have whipped us in the past 40 years." Hunter S Thompson 2003

Which is a perfect argument for the 2nd Amendment. If even a few thousand rag-tag group of goat fuckers can do damage to the mighty US Army - I'm betting a determined group of 100 million armed citizens could overturn a repressive dictatorship if it ever got to that point. Thanks for making the case for us. Welcome to the pro-gun rights camp! I knew you would see the light.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure there were some AUS soldiers as part of that effort - i guess they are losers too?

No. Just more victims

You assumed, based on one picture, that no black people were in attendance. You assumed wrong. Yes, black people "rocked up" last time.

But feel free to continue pursuing your wrong assumption and act like you never actually asked a question and learned something. It will be more in character.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Go for it PoxDog. The record of the US invasions in the last years if one of fail after fail after fucking fail. Losers.

"If we get chased out of Iraq with our tail between our legs, that will be the fifth consecutive Third-world country with no hint of a Navy or an Air Force to have whipped us in the past 40 years." Hunter S Thompson 2003

Losers who control your government and thus your country. Our government loves countries that they can place huge military forces into and then get hosts to disarm themselves. Suckers.

American public isn't as dumb as you think. We'll keep our arms.

Yep, what was that noise? Maybe it was a black guy trying to break in! Get the gun quick.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Specifically, I'd like a picture of some black Friends of the NRA at Tom's table. And maybe a recording of the conversation.

Some suggestions for TR (a nice icebreaker transition to get things rolling):

"Good evening, all. Nice to see you again. Nice weather out.

How was your day today? Is your back-to-school shopping complete?

I'm quite close to Ernie, and I'm all about learning, so let's chat a bit about cultural developments.

I hear that the Black Panthers are coming, with their guns.

And that Louis Farrakhan & the Nation of Islam are coming, with their guns.

I have heard that Rev. Mosteller is leading the armament of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

Have any updates?"

Tom, why would the VA recommending that a vet suffering from dementia not have a gun, be inappropriate if it lowers self murder? Or is self murder always a good thing?

Gun bans may have some small effect on the rate of self-murder using firearms but seem to have little or no effect on the overall rate of self-murder. To infringe on a protected right, there must be a compelling reason. The government has no compelling reason to change the method (but not rate) of suicide, even if we assume that dementia means that his right to life has been assumed by the government. That last assumption is debatable in my mind too, but I assumed for argument's sake that the debate went your way.

Self ownership is almost always a good thing and should be overridden only in rare, extreme circumstances.

You wax philosophically really well here, Tom. Very high-tone...using empty, debunked claims.

You have claimed that you have an interest in learning, so what's the deal?

You forgot a recent interchange with me.

You couldn't dispute these rate-of-suicide death sources then. So you oughta know better than claim the bolded, above.

You learned nothing, then denied the knowledge.

UCSF, Access to guns increases risk of suicide, homicide

http://medicalxpress...e-homicide.html>

Access to guns increases risk of suicide, homicide

Research: Less Access to Guns Does Reduce Suicide

http://www.motherjon...ckground-checks>

Firearm Access is a Risk Factor for Suicide

http://www.hsph.harv...ns-matter/risk/>

Suicide Barriers and Gun Control

http://www.armedwith...s-relationship/>

The Accessibility of Firearms and Risk for Suicide

http://annals.org/ar...id=1814426#f2-6>

Pasted from <http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=165680&p=4948543>

The rates of self murder using guns should not be mixed in with other rates of self-murder, jocal. Aren't you the one who taught me that?

Either way, I still believe more strongly in self-ownership and our right to die than I do in the nanny state's obligation to protect us from ourselves. The fact that suicide rates are unaffected by strict gun control in places like Japan is really not relevant. Even if protecting us from ourselves through gun control worked, I would still oppose it.

Why do you keep bringing up self-murder in other threads? You know it's just going back to this thread.

Hi Tom. You are a gun suicide cheerleader, who hi-jacked a thread to rant for more human tragedy.

Avoid this woman.Rhonda%20Rousey%20and%20sociopaths_zps6w

The rates of self murder using guns should not be mixed in with other rates of self-murder, jocal. STRAW MAN ALERT Aren't you the one who taught me that?

Either way, I still believe more strongly in self-ownership and our right to die than I do in the nanny state's obligation to protect us from ourselves. The fact that suicide rates are unaffected by strict gun control in places like Japan is really not relevant. Even if protecting us from ourselves through gun control worked, I would still oppose it.

Why do you keep bringing up self-murder in other threads? Because you lied about suicides here. You know it's just going back to this thread.

You changed the subject to a libertarian talking point. Back up your statement, Badgeless Boy:

Tom Ray, on 08 Aug 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Gun bans may have some small effect on the rate of self-murder using firearms but seem to have little or no effect on the overall rate of self-murder...The government has no compelling reason to change the method (but not rate) of suicide

The info that I find is consistent with this very intelligent, evidence-based content:

In overall suicide rate, the United States ranks roughly in the middle of the pack among industrialized nations. However, we are the exception when it comes to suicides among children between the ages of 5 and 14, with an overall rate twice the average of other developed nations. This stark difference is driven almost exclusively by a firearm-related suicide rate that is 10 times the average of other industrialized nations.

Adolescents living in states with higher gun prevalence also suffer from higher rates of suicide. Adolescents who commit suicide are significantly more likely to live with a firearm in their home even after adjusting for various risk factors. This increased risk holds true regardless of how the firearm is stored or the type of gun. Firearms that are stored loaded have the highest risk, while safely stored guns (locked and unloaded) are much safer. Proper firearm storage can’t mitigate the entire risk of adolescent gun suicide, but it is a necessary step.

Pasted from <http://www.armedwith...ic-combination/>

Back up your statement

Gun bans may have some small effect on the rate of self-murder using firearms but seem to have little or no effect on the overall rate of self-murder...The government has no compelling reason to change the method (but not rate) of suicide

The info that I find is consistent with this very intelligent, evidence-based content:

In overall suicide rate, the United States ranks roughly in the middle of the pack among industrialized nations. However, we are the exception when it comes to suicides among children between the ages of 5 and 14, with an overall rate twice the average of other developed nations. This stark difference is driven almost exclusively by a firearm-related suicide rate that is 10 times the average of other industrialized nations.

Adolescents living in states with higher gun prevalence also suffer from higher rates of suicide. Adolescents who commit suicide are significantly more likely to live with a firearm in their home even after adjusting for various risk factors. This increased risk holds true regardless of how the firearm is stored or the type of gun. Firearms that are stored loaded have the highest risk, while safely stored guns (locked and unloaded) are much safer. Proper firearm storage can’t mitigate the entire risk of adolescent gun suicide, but it is a necessary step.

Pasted from <http://www.armedwith...ic-combination/>

Your cite backs up my statement. The red words agree.

In the context of gun control, the rest of what you posted probably means we should make it illegal to sell guns to 5 year olds.

Oh, wait, we already did.

You just cherry-picked your quote. You left these out:

...small effect on the rate of self-murder
...change the method (but not rate) of suicide

Then you cherry-picked my content from yesterday. See Post 519. Yikes, six informed sources show that guns are stoking U.S. suicides.

Five of six sources mention the gun access problem in the article's title.

You have no cites for your dishonest statements, but are stating your deadly, compromised opinions as definitive.

You are trying to use 21,500 gun suicides/yr. to marginalize11,500 gun fatalities per year, and 85,000 gunshot survivors per year.

I'm not sure it's working.

Hey, I already agreed that we should make it illegal to sell guns to kids. What more do you want? The problem doesn't apply to adults as your own cite shows.

Tom - Jocal is just making noise. His attitude and desires are irrelevant, because he's trying to address a symptom, and not a cause.

The fight he's trying to pick was lost before he even got to the playground. I'm tired of beating my forehead against the wall with him, but, will end my participation in this conversation by acknowledging that his attitude has indeed been responsible for changing my mind: I will now, for the first time ever, join the NRA, and enthusiastically engage my elected representatives in promoting pro-2nd positions.

I will now start utilizing the CCW permit that I've had for 25+ years, by carrying my handgun, and enjoying the angst that such an act causes to the ignorant grabbers who want to focus on everything EXCEPT the real causes of violence in this country - the 50 years of failed liberal social policies that have gutted poor communities, leaving behind generations of desperate, dependent, disillusioned people with no family, no hope, and no way to express their despair except violence.

Guy, the real cause of gun violence is the thought process you are peddling.

Tom Ray, Suicide Cheerleader, Posted Today, 07:36 AM

The problem doesn't apply to adults

Tom, if you enjoy learning, you will enjoy this post. It's about ADULT suicide in the USA.

STUDY: More Guns Lead To More Suicides

A new study, coauthored by a libertarian-aligned economist, has found strong evidence that the spread of gun ownership around the United States is a threat to public health. Guns, this research suggests, really do cause people to kill themselves when they wouldn’t otherwise.

Gun research is often unfairly tarred as “biased” liberal hackwork, but Alex Tabarrok, one of the study’s two authors, isn’t anyone’s idea of a progressive. Tabarrok teaches at George Mason University, a famously libertarian-inclined economics department. He’s a fellow at the libertarian Mercatus Institute and one of the lead authors of Marginal Revolution, one of the web’s most famous libertarian-inclined blogs.

Lots of studies have investigated the relationship between firearms and homicide but the potential for reverse causality makes this a difficult problem. More homicides in a region, for example, might cause an increase in gun ownership so a positive correlation between guns and homicide doesn’t tell you which is cause and which is effect. Reverse causality is less of a problem for understanding the guns to suicide link because it’s less likely that a rash of suicides would encourage gun ownership.http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/11/firearms-and-suicides-in-us-states.html>

Twelve or more U.S. case control studies have compared individuals who died by suicide with those who did not and found those dying by suicide were more likely to live in homes with guns.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/risk/>

When firearms were accessible, men were nearly four times more likely to commit suicide than when firearms were not accessible, while women were almost three times more likely to be victims of homicide.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-01-access-guns-suicide-homicide.html>

RESULTS:

Results largely indicated that states with any of these laws in place exhibited lower overall suicide rates and suicide by firearms rates and that a smaller proportion of suicides in such states resulted from firearms. Furthermore, results indicated that laws requiring registration and license had significant indirect effects through the proportion of suicides resulting from firearms. The latter results imply that such laws are associated with fewer suicide attempts overall, a tendency for those who attempt to use less-lethal means, or both. Exploratory longitudinal analyses indicated a decrease in overall suicide rates immediately following implementation of laws requiring a license to own a handgun.

CONCLUSIONS:

The results are thus supportive of the potential of handgun legislation to have an impact on suicide rates.

Am J Public Health., (A study by total unknowns. from the University of Southern Mississippi)

US military brass have been spending a lot of time and money looking at how best to reduce the suicide rate among US troops, which has skyrocketed in recent years. They have concluded that it's false to assume that people intent on killing themselves will find a way to do it even if they can't get a gun. In a report to Congress in July, the Military Suicide Research Consortium noted that "Studies demonstrate that method substitution is rare."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/suicides-vs-handgun-background-checks>

Good, the less slackers and weak minded folks in this country the better....doncha think?....

In overall suicide rate, the United States ranks roughly in the middle of the pack among industrialized nations.

Where do we rank in access to firearms and gun ownership rate among those same nations?

Tom Ray, where do we find your base of evidence for these statements?

Gun bans may have some small effect on the rate of self-murder using firearms but seem to have little or no effect on the overall rate of self-murder...The government has no compelling reason to change the method (but not rate) of suicide.

I can offer quite a few academics who offer another opinion. The American Academy of Pediatricians doesn't want even locked guns in our homes. It's no better for grown-ups.

Who is Most Affected by Suicide?

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S. and the fourth leading cause for males under 65.1

For each death, about 45 people attempt and survive. Those who die are more likely to be male, older, and to use more lethal methods.

Pasted from <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/basic-suicide-facts/who/>

So, an overall 45:1 suicide survival ratio. With an 85% gun lethality ratio, the lethality of firearms itself is a player.

Guns most deadly choice in suicide attempts

(Louisville, Ky.) Courier-Journal12:07 a.m. EDT July 21, 2013

While suicide attempts usually stem from temporary setbacks, access to guns makes the equation much more lethal — because those who choose a gun over pills, cutting or hanging almost never survive.

(...) -- More than 38,000 Americans, including roughly 600 Kentuckians, take their lives each year, and those numbers are growing. From 1999 to 2010, suicide rates in Kentucky rose 22 percent to 14.2 deaths per 100,000 residents. Indiana's rate rose 26 percent, to 13.1 per 100,000; the U.S. rate rose 15 percent, to 12.1 per 100,000.

-- Guns are used in about half of U.S. suicides, compared with 64 percent in Kentucky. And suicides involving firearms are fatal 85 percent of the time, compared with less than 3 percent for pills, according to the Harvard Injury Control Research Center

Suicide, Guns, and Public Health

“Means reduction” TOOLS (reducing a suicidal person’s access to highly lethal means) is an important part of a comprehensive approach to suicide prevention. It is based on the following understandings (click on each to learn more):

Tom - Jocal is just making noise. His attitude and desires are irrelevant, because he's trying to address a symptom, and not a cause.

The fight he's trying to pick was lost before he even got to the playground. I'm tired of beating my forehead against the wall with him, but, will end my participation in this conversation by acknowledging that his attitude has indeed been responsible for changing my mind: I will now, for the first time ever, join the NRA, and enthusiastically engage my elected representatives in promoting pro-2nd positions.

I will now start utilizing the CCW permit that I've had for 25+ years, by carrying my handgun, and enjoying the angst that such an act causes to the ignorant grabbers who want to focus on everything EXCEPT the real causes of violence in this country - the 50 years of failed liberal social policies that have gutted poor communities, leaving behind generations of desperate, dependent, disillusioned people with no family, no hope, and no way to express their despair except violence.

Some of the wisest thoughts in our gun forums have come from you, Guy

You often speak to the internal workings behind human behavior.

You also seem to be genuine in asking for efficacy in gun solutions.

You expect proven policy, you say.

By hiding the facts and fighting gun violence study, the SAF and NRA are responsible for making effective policy impossible.

I wish you all the best, Guy, but effective, causally-related solutions won't be found in your chosen direction.

No bondo for the Guyster...yet the chassis of the NRA has the worst body rot in town.

BoothandJefffieNRAmembers_zpsf6520cf3.pn

Gun bans may have some small effect on the rate of self-murder using firearms but seem to have little or no effect on the overall rate of self-murder...The government has no compelling reason to change the method (but not rate) of suicide.

Right here in this thread. Isn't it convenient keeping all the self-murder talk in one thread?

In overall suicide rate, the United States ranks roughly in the middle of the pack among industrialized nations. ..

In gun ownership rate, where do we rank against those same countries?

You seem to want to compare states with different gun ownership rates but the differences between countries are larger. We should see a pronounced effect!

Unless other countries in your study own guns at more or less the same rate we do. If the guns are causing the suicides and we're middle of the pack, we must be middle of the pack in gun ownership rates, right?

I find it more than fuking hysterical that in four years. JokeAwf has been telling us that 'gun violence ' research and studies have been severely curtailed, dumbed down, under funded or have completely ceased altogether----yet in those same four years he has literally cut & pasted hundreds and hundreds of them.

Wierd, innit?.....:lol:

I can offer quite a few academics who offer another opinion. The American Academy of Pediatricians doesn't want even locked guns in our homes. It's no better for grown-ups.

Who is Most Affected by Suicide?

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S. and the fourth leading cause for males under 65.1

For each death, about 45 people attempt and survive. Those who die are more likely to be male, older, and to use more lethal methods.

Pasted from <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/basic-suicide-facts/who/>

So, an overall 45:1 suicide survival ratio. With an 85% gun lethality ratio, the lethality of firearms itself is a player.

Guns most deadly choice in suicide attempts

(Louisville, Ky.) Courier-Journal12:07 a.m. EDT July 21, 2013

While suicide attempts usually stem from temporary setbacks, access to guns makes the equation much more lethal because those who choose a gun over pills, cutting or hanging almost never survive.

(...) -- More than 38,000 Americans, including roughly 600 Kentuckians, take their lives each year, and those numbers are growing. From 1999 to 2010, suicide rates in Kentucky rose 22 percent to 14.2 deaths per 100,000 residents. Indiana's rate rose 26 percent, to 13.1 per 100,000; the U.S. rate rose 15 percent, to 12.1 per 100,000.

-- Guns are used in about half of U.S. suicides, compared with 64 percent in Kentucky. And suicides involving firearms are fatal 85 percent of the time, compared with less than 3 percent for pills, according to the Harvard Injury Control Research Center

Suicide, Guns, and Public Health

Means reduction TOOLS (reducing a suicidal persons access to highly lethal means) is an important part of a comprehensive approach to suicide prevention. It is based on the following understandings (click on each to learn more):

Some please explain to me how pediatricians are experts on fire arm related issues.

85% lethal means 15% chance of surviving with horrible injuries and probably brain damage.

15% is waaay to high for me.

In the unlikely event I ever decide to kill myself, I will choose a much more lethal and less messy method.

But I think that's a choice for individuals and would not presume to impose my choice on others. If someone is fine with a 15% chance of horrible injuries and brain damage, it's their life.

Its agreed! jocal is a shill for the NRA, it seems. Jocal was the single reason I joined the NRA as well after having zero interest in promoting the gun culture. Obama doesn't even bother me as much as jocal does when it comes to gun-grabbiness.

I wonder how jocal feels being responsible for not only failing in his quest to address the so-called "gun culture", but is actively promoting it and causing it to grow? Had it not been for fuckawf-boy - the NRA still wouldn't have my $$.

Well done Jocal! How much is WLP paying you???

050edcea980327978087068eaf92fdb51cd907-w

He practices on human shaped targets.

Some please explain to me how pediatricians are experts on fire arm related issues.

Because they notice their kids getting shot a lot?

85% lethal means 15% chance of surviving with horrible injuries and probably brain damage.

In the unlikely event I ever decide to kill myself, I will choose a much more lethal and less messy method.

But I think that's a choice for individuals and would not presume to impose my choice on others. If someone is fine with a 15% chance of horrible injuries and brain damage, it's their life.

Just make it doubly illegal to kill yourself with a gun.

Because they notice their kids getting shot a lot?

Pediatricians kids get shot a lot?

So we're all experts then?

Just make it doubly illegal to kill yourself with a gun.

Suicide victims should get capital punishment?

Practice makes perfect.

If the robber doesn't arrive, he may go looking for one. Gun nuts have been known to do that over your way. They like the movies, lot's of targets in a confined space.

I find it more than fuking hysterical that in four years. JokeAwf has been telling us that 'gun violence ' research and studies have been severely curtailed, dumbed down, under funded or have completely ceased altogether----yet in those same four years he has literally cut & pasted hundreds and hundreds of them.

Wierd, innit?..... :lol:

This has been asked and answered a few times.

Publicly funded studies have great creds with the American people. Federal grants follow study suggestions, and then universities pave the way for fact-based public awareness. The game-changing role models include classic fights with vested interests of coal mining, asbestos, tobacco, automobile production, superfund cleanup, alcohol prohibition, timber over-harvest, and civil rights.

Public funding for gun research will be a game changer. It was quite clever (but also devious and deadly) for the gun lobby to stuff the flow of this damaging information. Ex-Sen. Jay Dickey regrets creating such a monster, and publicly admitted his regret for the '96 ban in July 2012.

Opening the flow of public funding will be about second base in this game of gun sensibility, IMO. How the present "gun culture" reacts will be pivotal. From what I've seen, the gun nutters will change little, and with their favorite amendment, will become social pariahs.

Practice makes perfect.

Well I bet if you asked a couple of the 'Progressives' here, they'd probably tell you that white cops practice at the range using buckets of fried chicken and watermelons....

Looks like it's still going up to me ...

Oh, and the OP? (date May 14, 2013 @ 10:00 PM)?

Same old JB bullshit, just Homicides, no accidents or suicides. Nothing new here.

And yet, despite our high gun ownership rates, we have an average suicide rate.

Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg

Must be the guns.

But what about the suffocation violence and the poison violence?

All suicides
  • Number of deaths: 41,149
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.0
  • Cause of death rank: 10
Firearm suicides
  • Number of deaths: 21,175
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7
Suffocation suicides
  • Number of deaths: 10,062
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.2
Poisoning suicides
  • Number of deaths: 6,637
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

They add up to 16k people, far more than are killed by the type of gun violence that is inflicted by others. Almost as many as self-inflicted "violence" using guns.

We obviously need plastic bag control just to start. How much financial responsibility should plastic bag manufacturers take? Or do people usually use ropes? Are we going after the rope moguls for being merchants of death?

Jocal has had this effect for me -- now buying my .223 / .556 ammo by the case.

Target Shooters Bring Mayhem to National Forests

By THE EDITORIAL BOARDAUG. 22, 2015

Photo

Recreational target shooters call it “trigger trash” — tons and tons of refrigerators, car parts, televisions, sofas, bowling pins and other unwanted junk that shooters haul onto pristine federal woodlands and shred with gunfire for sheer enjoyment.

The abuses are scarring forest lands from the Carolinas to the Pacific Northwest. An emergency halt to target shooting had to be issued for the Croatan National Forest, in North Carolina, after hundreds of complaints from alarmed visitors. Forest Service records show an increasing raft of violations, like shooting from cars and shooting in campgrounds

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/opinion/sunday/target-shooters-bring-mayhem-to-national-forests.html?emc=edit_th_20150823&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=62011679

Looks like it's still going up to me ...

Oh, and the OP? (date May 14, 2013 @ 10:00 PM)?

Same old JB bullshit, just Homicides, no accidents or suicides. Nothing new here.

And yet, despite our high gun ownership rates, we have an average suicide rate.

Must be the guns.

All suicides
Firearm suicides
Suffocation suicides
Poisoning suicides

They add up to 16k people, far more than are killed by the type of gun violence that is inflicted by others. Almost as many as self-inflicted "violence" using guns.

We obviously need plastic bag control just to start. How much financial responsibility should plastic bag manufacturers take? Or do people usually use ropes? Are we going after the rope moguls for being merchants of death?

"Plastic bag control"? Liability for makers of rope, when rope suicides are not an epidemic?

YOUR NUMBERS SAY HALF THE SUICIDES ARE BY GUN? (6.6 /100K out of 13.0/100K)

Tom Ray, where is your pro-gun-suicide premise supported by research or study or academics or social scientists?

The simple math is that half of successful suicides employ guns, as agents in our rash of high gun suicide numbers.

Since the evidence shows that method substitution is rare, fewer guns = fewer suicides.

Our average suicide rates could fall below average...while saving vibrant lives.

Let's me mindful of these guns.

Here are four Tom Ray mis-truths (well, lies) about gun suicide in the USA:

Suicide%20cheerleading%20with%20Tom%20Ra

We have about as many suffocation suicides in a year as we do homicides. Excluding the self-murders, of course, since normal people make a distinction between murder and suicide.

So if rope suicides are not an epidemic, that means gun homicides are not either.

Even under this broad definition, it's worth noting that mass shootings make up a tiny portion of America’s firearm deaths, which totaled more than 32,000 in 2013.

Ah geez, not more self-murder stats being used to justify gun control. Haven't we established that the US is NOT an outlier in self-murders, despite our high firearm ownership rate?

Interesting how Tom can't bring himself to use the word 'Suicide'.

Interesting how Tom can't bring himself to use the word 'Suicide'.

Nope. Never have. I think self-murder is waaaay funnier.

OK, so maybe I used it two posts above yours.

Self-murder is still way funnier.

We have about as many suffocation suicides in a year as we do homicides. Excluding the self-murders, of course, since normal people make a distinction between murder and suicide.

So if rope suicides are not an epidemic, that means gun homicides are not either.

The topic of suicide in the USA is a rolling tragedy, not a breezy amusement for you and your lowbrow friends.

Mr. Ray, your ideas about suicide are shameless, and sociopathic. Rhonda%20Rousey%20and%20sociopaths_zps6w

normal people make a distinction between murder and suicide.

NO, THEY DON'T. Social scientists, researchers, doctors, and pediatricians are "normal people," but put suicide firmly at the top of the list of gun violence. That's where it belongs.

21,000 suicide deaths per year relate to the acceptance of guns in our lives, and in our homes.

Gun suicides are the biggest part of the U.S. gun problem.

You are abnormal, Bubba. You lack the decency to accept that.

Instead, you peddle the most lethal tool available for suicide.

This blatantly advertises the scary values in play with the gun mentality.

The only people who use suicide stats to promote gun control are gungrabbers like yourself, jocal.

I don't care who considers it

It's deceptive to try to drag some of our self-murders into the gun debate. If the concern for suicide were real, those same people would be advocating rope and plastic bag control, but they don't. They want more gun control, not fewer deaths.

The only people who use suicide stats to promote gun control are gungrabbers like yourself, jocal.

I don't care who considers it

So there we have it. The real Tom. The first principles of his thought process.

This is why he posts unintelligible stats, because he doesn't care. Just bundle everyone who opposes the NRA (view of how many guns need to be sold this year for us to hit target and get our bonuses,) under the one 'Gungrabber' label. Then stand back and "don't care".

Nice work Tom. Why bother with the complexity of discussion here when you have a comeback like that?

So Chopper random says ...

"This is Tom.

Tom doesn't give a fuck about the premature deaths of others ...

Soften the fuck up Tom"

a little data for the head-in-the-sand folks (Favre)

Here are a few facts, however, to help arm thoughtful people in arguing with the charitably uninformed masses:

• This is the 264th mass shooting this year. Yes, 264 mass shootings in less than a year.
  • Firearms kill 33,000 people every year.
  • ..The second amendment was written by slave-holding men who carried muskets to protect themselves from tyranny and from their slaves. A musket took over 10 seconds to reload for a single shot.

Can't we keep the self-murder discussion over here? Most of those 33k are self-murders after all. I really don't see what self-murders have to do with angry losers who murder people like the one in that other thread.

By the way, are those just things you listed off the top of your head or was there a source?

Here's what else they said.

The second amendment does guarantee the right to bear arms for a "well-regulated" militia the people in order to preserve their ability to form a militia if needed.

Edited for accuracy since some people seem to think that a right of the people is something other than what the words actually say.

So many questions but no answers Tom. You have so much to learn.

No time to waste then! Start teaching. You can start by answering whether you think gun possession is gun violence, whether you think a car crash is gun violence if the car contained a gun, and whether stealing a gun is gun violence.

I don't think any of them are gun violence and am eager to learn from those who disagree why those things should be considered gun violence.

Please link where I said those things.

If I had an answer from you, I would not be asking for an answer from you. You have offered no opinion on the things I found misleading, other than a bit of derision that I might find such things misleading in post 93. I could assume from the derision that you don't share my view that those are misleading examples of gun violence, but decided to ask instead of assuming.

You say I have things to learn about gun violence. OK, let me in on your wisdom about some of the gun violence Sean posted. Do you believe a car crash is gun violence if the car contains a gun? Do you believe gun possession is gun violence? Do you believe stealing a gun is gun violence? Do you share Sean's belief that a policeman shooting an assailant in self-defense is the kind of gun violence we should by trying to prevent?

Fuck your 'beliefs' or 'opinions', I'm not interested.

What I'm interested in is seeing a reduction in the facts as reported. Like those below.

Every Day on Average (ages 0-19)

Every day, 48 children and teens are shot in murders, assaults, suicides & suicide attempts, unintentional shootings, and police intervention.

Every day,

• 7 children and teens die from gun violence:
  • 5 are murdered
  • 2 kill themselves.

Every day,

• 41 children and teens are shot and survive:
  • 31 shot in an assault
  • 1 survives a suicide attempt
  • 8 are shot unintentionally

OK, if you want to express an opinion on my beliefs and then claim to have no opinion, we can discuss self-murders instead here in the self-murder thread. We might need a new thread to talk about 19 year old "children" and the fact that they can't vote or sign contracts, being children. Except for the fact that they are adults.

Despite our much higher rate of gun ownership, the US has a suicide rate in line with the rest of the developed world. Or a bit below. Maybe if we had almost no guns we could have a much higher suicide rate, like Japan. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

RD, you need to fix the hump in that international assault fatality chart.

If you don't, others will set about to do so.

Hey dumbschidt - given that the "hump" was back in the late 70s - I'd say its been fixed.

You'd say "its been fixed"? Look at Post 271 again.

It shows that as of 2010, the median international gun deaths are around 1.8/100K, with the USA around 5.6/100K.

We are three times as bad as other leading nations. You are less than honest if you call that "fixed."

How did this post, which is mostly about self-murders, get into the thread about Billy Backstay registering his standard capacity magazine for his mildly mean-looking rifle?

Ever helpful, I moved it here to the main thread about self-murders.

Your cutesy promotion of gun tragedy by suicide is noted.

You are part of the problem, Tom Ray.

Your cutesy use of the phrase 'gun tragedy' is.....indeed tragic.....

jocal is a "gun tragedy"

jocal is a "gun tragedy"

Just a matter of time before his gun makes him wig out and shoot somebody. Or self-murderate himself.....

jocal is a "gun tragedy"

Just a matter of time before his gun makes him wig out and shoot somebody. Or self-murderate himself.....

Hopefully he will get the "murder-suicide" thingy backwards like he does the rest of his schtick here.

We are talking about US trends, dumbschidt. Who fucking cares what the rest of the world does or does not do? Apples and orangutans......

No, we are not. We are comparing the gun violence trend in the USA to other advanced countries.

You said the problem was "fixed."

(Jocal;) You'd say "its been fixed"? Look at Post 271 again.

It shows that as of 2010, the median international gun deaths are around 1.8/100K, with the USA around 5.6/100K.

We are three times as bad as other leading nations. You are less than honest if you call that "fixed."

How do we compare to those "leading nations" in self-murder rates?

Oh yeah, asked and answered...

Must be the guns.

All suicides
Firearm suicides
Suffocation suicides
Poisoning suicides

Our overall suicide rates would fall below normal, meaning below international norms, if they weren't being fed by gun proliferation.

This matter is a rolling tragedy of immense proportion. "Self murder" is not a problem which is simply dismissed by clever banter and cutesy Tom Ray conversation.

Firearms and Suicides in US States

Suicides outnumber homicides in the United States by 3:1. (In 2010 there were 38,364 suicides and 12, 996 homicides.) Lots of studies have investigated the relationship between firearms and homicide but the potential for reverse causality makes this a difficult problem. More homicides in a region, for example, might cause an increase in gun ownership so a positive correlation between guns and homicide doesn’t tell you which is cause and which is effect. Reverse causality is less of a problem for understanding the guns to suicide link because it’s less likely that a rash of suicides would encourage gun ownership.

In my latest paper, Firearms and Suicides in US States, written with the excellent Justin Briggs) we examine the easier question, what is the relationship between firearms and suicide?

(...) Put differently, when gun ownership decreases other methods of suicide increase. Substitution among methods is not perfect, however, so when gun ownership decreases we see a big decrease in gun-suicide and a substantial but less than fully compensating increase in non-gun suicide so a net decrease in the number of suicides.

Our econometric results are consistent with the literature on suicide which finds that suicide is often a rash and impulsive decision–most people who try but fail to commit suicide do not recommit at a later date–as a result, small increases in the cost of suicide can dissuade people long enough so that they never do commit suicide.

The results in the paper appear to be robust but the data on gun ownership is frustratingly sparse due to political considerations.

- See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/11/firearms-and-suicides-in-us-states.html#sthash.VORfuuB1.dpuf

Guns are a great tool for suicide. So common access to guns feeds suicide, as these link titles demonstrate:

Six suicide links, from PA

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=165680&p=4948543

UCSF, Access to guns increases risk of suicide, homicide

Access to guns increases risk of suicide, homicide

Research: Less Access to Guns Does Reduce Suicide

http://www.motherjon...ckground-checks>

Firearm Access is a Risk Factor for Suicide

http://www.hsph.harv...ns-matter/risk/>

Suicide Barriers and Gun Control

http://www.armedwith...s-relationship/>

The Accessibility of Firearms and Risk for Suicide

http://annals.org/ar...id=1814426#f2-6>

So you actually fuking believe that the 22,000 depressed people a year that self-murderate themselves with guns will NOT try to off themselves in another manner?.....

They only did that in Australia Booze. That wouldn't happen here.

Funny thing too that JokeOff is only concerned with self-muurderators who use specific tools. The rest are 'normal'. Wtf?

Funny thing too that JokeOff is only concerned with self-muurderators who use specific tools. The rest are 'normal'. Wtf?

I've mentioned that before too. The words jocal and logic should never be used in the same sentence......

Meanwhile, while you are all for how it works now ...

Braylon Robinson shooting: Three-year-old boy shoots baby dead in latest US child gun accident
Police are investigating who had left the gun unattended in the house

"A one-year-old baby was killed yesterday after he was shot in the face with a gun fired by a boy, three, who had found it inside a house, police said."

I guess the parents kept the gun unlocked for self defense?

So you actually fuking believe that the 22,000 depressed people a year that self-murderate themselves with guns will NOT try to off themselves in another manner?.....

Not 22,000, but thousands of them (say 12,000) will still be alive. Below is what happened in Australia (from 1996 when the gun laws change), for all suicide and then gun suicide.

Gun suicide less than half and all suicide reduced substantially.

Rate of Suicide per 100,000 People (any method)

In Australia, the annual rate of suicide by any means per 100,000 population is

2012: 11.51

2011: 10.93

2010: 11.52

2009: 10.98

2008: 11.14

2007: 10.73

2006: 10.34

2005: 10.38

2004: 10.49

2003: 11.20

2002: 11.88

2001: 12.72

2000: 12.34

1999: 13.17

1998: 14.34

1997: 14.69

1996: 13.07

Rate of Gun Suicide per 100,000 People

In Australia, the annual rate of firearm suicide per 100,000 population is

2012: 0.79

2011: 0.65

2010: 0.79

2009: 0.82

2008: 0.87

2007: 0.92

2006: 0.88

2005: 0.73

2004: 0.84

2003: 0.98

2002: 1.11

2001: 1.35

2000: 1.16

1999: 1.42

1998: 1.26

1997: 1.78

1996: 2.09

Our overall suicide rates would fall below normal, meaning below international norms, if they weren't being fed by gun proliferation.

So we agree that the US suicide rate is within international norms and you think we could do much better if only we adopt strict gun control to prevent self-murders.

OK. I don't agree because I look at places like Japan, with almost no private gun ownership and a very high suicide rate, and conclude that people inclined to self-murder will find a way to do it.

At least you're talking about it in the right thread this time and admitting that we have a normal suicide rate compared to the "leading nations" you referenced earlier. That's progress!

Your data is showing a decrease in gun suicide coenciding with an increase in overall suicide rates from 2006 to 2012. Obviously suicide is not tied to guns in Australia.

Your data is showing a decrease in gun suicide coenciding with an increase in overall suicide rates from 2006 to 2012. Obviously suicide is not tied to guns in Australia.

Ahhhh from 2006 to 12? Really? You didn't like the 1996 to 2012 numbers?

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891

Oh, now I get it, that must be why ...

Firearm deaths among leading causes of death

"Gun deaths -- 33, 636 -- pale in comparison to the nation's leading killer, heart disease, which claimed 611,105 lives in 2013, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But, as the graph shows, guns took more lives than other top causes of death, such as hypertension (30,770) and Parkinson's disease (25,196)."

and stuff like this happens;

"A three-year-old boy has killed himself while playing with his mother's handgun, according to police in Ohio.

The boy shot and fatally wounded himself in the chest after finding the gun at his home near Cincinnati."

This post that is mostly about self-murders somehow found its way into one about the topic of gun sales, so I moved it here.

Do you agree with jocal that we would self-murder ourselves at a lower rate than other "leading nations" if only we got rid of all those pesky guns?

I feel sorry for the Darwin Award winner. Usually, such people take themselves, not their offspring, out of the gene pool, but the result is the same. That one should really go in a Darwin Awards thread but I don't feel like finding one.

So we agree that the US suicide rate is within international norms and you think we could do much better if only we adopt strict gun control to prevent self-murders.

OK. I don't agree because I look at places like Japan, with almost no private gun ownership and a very high suicide rate, and conclude that people inclined to self-murder will find a way to do it.

At least you're talking about it in the right thread this time and admitting that we have a normal suicide rate compared to the "leading nations" you referenced earlier. That's progress!

Your international comparison is poor, and misleading. Japan has a unique tradition steeped in suicide.

They have valued suicide for centuries, but get a clue, facilitating suicide is considered ghoulish in our country.

I'll discuss total firearms violence numbers on any thread I wish. Same for posting suicide information.

Suicide Is Leading Cause Of Gun Deaths, But Largely Absent In Debate On Gun Violence

The overall suicide rate is rising so rapidly that it now outnumbers deaths from car crashes. Most recently, health officials noted a startling spike in suicides among middle-aged Americans: they have jumped by 28 percent from 1999 to 2010.Pasted from <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/guns-suicide_n_3240065.html>

It's true that Dr. Kevorkian had a somewhat ghoulish appearance but I think he was a great American who was willing to help people who were suffering when others would not by facilitating their self-murders.

Another false comparison. More dishonest propaganda.

Dr. Kevorkian did not propose guns for suicide. His approach did not traumatize relatives, loved ones, and cleaning crews.

You are not Dr. Kevorkian.

Dr. Kevorkian did not propose guns for suicide. His approach did not traumatize relatives, loved ones, and cleaning crews.

Then you should be more specific and say what you mean. It would look like this:

...facilitating suicide is sometimes considered ghoulish in our country.

I still say you own your body and your life and can self-murderate yourself when or if you wish by whatever means you choose, including your gun.

Did I just facilitate your suicide?

Well from 1996 to 2000 the overall rate INCREASED substantially. Then it fell from 2000 to 2006. Something good happened between 2000 and 2006.

Based on the very limited data you posted one can only deduce the confiscation caused a substantial rise in the overall suicide rate and something else reversed it.

Personally I find hanging, jumps, poisoning to be more ghoulish. Guns seem much quicker and less traumatic.

Personally I find hanging, jumps, poisoning to be more ghoulish. Guns seem much quicker and less traumatic.

Except for those who find the body. Usually a loved one.

46fd8e9a4a3217c29cac44f015b87aa3.jpg

Well from 1996 to 2000 the overall rate INCREASED substantially. Then it fell from 2000 to 2006. Something good happened between 2000 and 2006.

Based on the very limited data you posted one can only deduce the confiscation caused a substantial rise in the overall suicide rate and something else reversed it.

Except for those who find the body. Usually a loved one.

46fd8e9a4a3217c29cac44f015b87aa3.jpg

Like I said - I'm more concerned with time aspect. Other means can't be very pretty either.

So you want to take guns away from us to keep cleaning crews from being traumatized??? YCMTSU!

I am pro gun in case there is a question. So what some here believe is that we should impose gun control to reduce suicide rates, but how many people that commit suicide would fail their background check to buy a gun? I can only guess at the answer, but likely most would pass their background check, so I can only conclude that you support banning guns, and confiscating them in an effort to prevent people from taking their own life. I OBJECT! The U.S. of A. is/was a republic, with a constitution, that says you cannot do that. I also fail to understand how any individual, or group can tell any given law abiding individual that they are not allowed to save their own life. Essentially you are saying that if someone wants to kill me for the 50 in my wallet, I have to just let them do it, might as well get on my knees and beg before they SHOOT me(criminals will continue to posess firearms). brilliant. Unalienable rights and all that, if you don't like the 2nd ammendment, thats fine, if you think it only applies to the national guard, so be it. But the constitution clearly outlines the unalienable right to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness. How exactly do you propose to maintain your right to life? tell the bad man he is a bad man, and shouldn't do what he is going to do? or perhaps you believe that your right to life is superceded by anothers desire to end your life? I am confused. I think those of you who believe that gun control is the future of the USA ought to read your history books

This is svpahto. His name is svpahto.

jack2.jpg

I am pro gun in case there is a question. So what some here believe is that we should impose gun control to reduce suicide rates, but how many people that commit suicide would fail their background check to buy a gun? I can only guess at the answer, but likely most would pass their background check, so I can only conclude that you support banning guns, and confiscating them in an effort to prevent people from taking their own life. I OBJECT! The U.S. of A. is/was a republic, with a constitution, that says you cannot do that. I also fail to understand how any individual, or group can tell any given law abiding individual that they are not allowed to save their own life. Essentially you are saying that if someone wants to kill me for the 50 in my wallet, I have to just let them do it, might as well get on my knees and beg before they SHOOT me(criminals will continue to posess firearms). brilliant. Unalienable rights and all that, if you don't like the 2nd ammendment, thats fine, if you think it only applies to the national guard, so be it. But the constitution clearly outlines the unalienable right to LIFE, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness. How exactly do you propose to maintain your right to life? tell the bad man he is a bad man, and shouldn't do what he is going to do? or perhaps you believe that your right to life is superceded by anothers desire to end your life? I am confused. I think those of you who believe that gun control is the future of the USA ought to read your history books

Welcome. You must be new here. Those of us on the pro gun side have repeatedly brought that up wrt to passing background checks and then committing suicide. The idiots like joke-al ignore it as if it's never been said and the. Go on with their hand wringing about self-murder with guns. And yes, they actually call it "self murder". Silly innit?

So there we have it all from the new guy. Condensed, for all to see.

If you put this rant together, clearly there is no freedom in the USA, it is an illusion, only held together by the threat of death to the other guy. No surprise, that's the message the gun nuts want, but it does not have to be that way. Countries where the politicians still have at least some say in what happens, have done something to stop the slaughter.

The US has been under the control of corporations since 1915, probably from the start. They know what to feed to the sheeple to maximise sales, and the sheeple love it, even if it kills them. As demonstrated here.

What a cunt of a place where 'rights' are only assured to those with a gun.