Barnyb

Team Japan

If NZ doesn't fold it would be interesting to see DB and whoever from NZ in the start box .

DB won't be with a new NZ team. His temperament is not suited, unlike BA who has complete focus when his arse is against the wall.

You misunderstood my post.

DB is with Jpn already ,there was no thought of another NZ team. They are having a hard enough time getting the original team to the line much less a second group.

My point was if NZ does actually make it to AC 35 it would be interesting to see DB and whoever is at the helm for NZ match up in the start box.

DB would certainly have a well warranted of a chip on his shoulder.

If Barker is with Team Japan, then his failed AC career is complete.

He would be following in the footsteps of another NZ choker and 100% AC failure....

Chris Dickson (KZ7. Team Nippon, and Tag huer}

The resembelence is uncanny.

Aside from being a whiny bitch, why don't you enlighten us to your sailing accomplishments. I'm pretty sure Barker or Dickson could sail rings around you all day long.

Sorry! I don't talk to monkey's! :-)

Well, it is an interesting comparison: Gilley went to Japan with the old Bondy boats and not much came of that, Dicko had some minor success making the quarters, and time will tell how DB does.

Speed Demon: Sorry! I don't talk to monkey's! :-)

Surprised as thought this was your native language

^

And does he own a sailboat? A yachting cap maybe? [dogwatch need not reply]

^

And does he own a sailboat? [dogwatch need not reply]

No, I see nothing at all related to him about sailing.

He does have business ties in the area where the Kansei Yacht Club is, perhaps he's a member.

^

He does have business ties in the area where the Kansei Yacht Club is, perhaps he's a member.

Knowing nothing about sailing, would get him your vote as an ideal team owner in the world super league of the world...

If anyone questions whether he is a member of the challenger YC he could always join it....

^

I heard from a reliable source that he drinks water.

^

Knowing nothing about sailing, would get him your vote as an ideal team owner in the world super league of the world...
Yes, much better to have guys like TT and LE, who not only like sailing but have participated in it at a high level.

MSon has my vote for nothing AC related so far but maybe he'll say something encouraging or at least fun, whenever the (completely unattributed so far) announcement does come. If you look into that baseball team he apparently has it in goods hands since the team has won several titles and is known for hiring good talent. Hopefully it will be his approach here too.

^

I heard from a reliable source that he drinks water.

Is that sparkling water or still ? Makes a big difference in the AC.

^

Yes, much better to have guys like TT and LE, who not only like sailing but have participated in it at a high level.

MSon has my vote for nothing AC related so far but maybe he'll say something encouraging or at least fun, whenever the (completely unattributed so far) announcement does come. If you look into that baseball team he apparently has it in goods hands since the team has won several titles and is known for hiring good talent. Hopefully it will be his approach here too.

But the question remains - is he at home plate swinging the bat or just observing ?

^

But the question remains - is he at home plate swinging the bat or just observing ?

You wouldn't expect him to buy a dog and bark himself would you?

^

No, he is with the other 38, 500 fans that turn up every week to watch and the millions more who watch on TV.

As an aside, Son doesn't own the baseball team. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Softbank, which Son owns 20% of. In Japan, baseball teams usually make a loss but those losses are treated as tax-deductible marketing costs by their corporate owners, meaning it is actually a very cost effective marketing tool. It is considered a matter of prestige and pride for a corporation to own a team in a country that is obsessed with the sport.

I wonder whether LE sold the idea as tax deductible, prestigious and with a huge following of obsessive fans. (Maybe LE used SA as evidence of obsessive fans :D )

^

He does....

Shite!... Barker should fit in perfectly!,, he know nothing about sailing too!

If/when they do announce then my guess is that a Japanese 'industrialist' and sailor named Mokoto Uematsu will be involved. He has won the 'City of St Francisco Trophy' in the SF BBS. He has also campaigned his TP52 Esmeralda III at NYYC events including this year, has raced with Ken Read as his tactician and, if the Gtrans were accurate, is or was Vice Comm of the Japan Sailing Federation (JSAF) and head of its America's Cup committee.

My best guess as to the rumored Japanese skipper would be the 49er sailor Yukio Makino, seen here and elsewhere:

---

Alt_Yukio%20MAKINOKenji%20TAKAHASHI49er.

Yukio Makino and Kenji Takahashi, 49er,JPN 81 - 2014 Sail for Gold Regatta, day 1

Yukio Makino and Kenji Takahashi sealed two race wins and a fifth to take an early lead in the 49er class. The Japanese sailors, who finished 18th at London 2012 and seventh at last year’s Sail for Gold Regatta, hold a three point cushion over the British Sailing Team’s Nic Asher and Fynn Sterritt who end their day in second.

BINGO

It's official:

http://www.softbank.jp/en/corp/news/press/sb/2015/20150430_01/

--

SoftBank Team Japan to Challenge for 2017 America's Cup

Press Releases

April 30, 2015

SoftBank Corp.

Kansai Yacht Club

Japan Sailing Federation

SoftBank Corp. and the Kansai Yacht Club announced they have come to an agreement to express their intent to challenge for the 2017 America's Cup. As SoftBank Team Japan, the team will compete in the 2015 America's Cup World Series events, and try for the 2017 America's Cup in Bermuda. SoftBank will support the team as a sponsor.

To lead a Japan team challenge for the America's Cup is a dream come true, said Kazuhiko Sofuku, the team's general manager. This is a great opportunity for Japan and for Japanese sailors to get back into the America's Cup game, Sofuku added.

It is an honor for the Kansai Yacht Club to try for the America's Cup for the first time, said Ko Watanabe, commodore of Kansai Yacht Club. This is a great challenge to take on, not just for our club, but for the entire country. With support from across the entire nation, I am sure we will represent Japan with pride.

SoftBank Group representative Masayoshi Son said, I am thrilled to announce that we will be supporting Team Japan at the America's Cup. He added, Taking on this major challenge at the pinnacle of yacht races matches with the SoftBank Group's aim to be the global No.1. We look forward to cheering on Team Japan along with all of their supporters.

--

announced they have come to an agreement to express their intent

when is/was the entry deadline

announced they have come to an agreement to express their intent

when is/was the entry deadline

Unless the date has or will be moved again, the latest deadline was May 1. The announcement being today may or may not be a coincidence.

As to 'an agreement to express their intent' well that rings of a translation issue; perhaps also a press release let fly too early by someone in some timezone.

If/when they do announce then my guess is that a Japanese 'industrialist' and sailor named Mokoto Uematsu will be involved.

your 'guess'?

riiiiight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/japans-kansai-yacht-club-to-compete-in-americas-cup/2015/04/29/67eafb42-eeea-11e4-8050-839e9234b303_story.html

SoftBank Team Japan general manager Kazuhiko Sofuku, known colloquially as "Fuku", said that “to lead a Japanese challenge for the America’s Cup is a dream come true.”

Pronounced as Fuck You !!

^

A former bowman, like Max - doesn't bode well. Not that he'll have to worry about being blindsided by legal issues, presumably ..

Go Team Joracle!

AC is monos right?

Voile-une-equipe-japonaise-candidate-pou

http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr

11178332_654830231316234_816731528475506

oops...

603798_654829281316329_81178148930219096

That's OB2 repainted :D Oracle has sold them a lemon?

Alt_11035571_1102014099825022_6365606661

What's with all the sprits?

* Osaka Bay - I approve the 'home waters' of this Club!

Oracle sold them the wrong designs!

or maybe RC, poodles, COR, challengers and OR, are going to change yacht class back to mono's to lower costs, and to attract the team from Tuvalu

You couldn't make some of this up if you tried. New AC challenger, team owned by somebody who doesn't sail, has model of wrong type of boat painted in team colours and a man wearing a yellow suit, red shirt and a boater hat because that is what all sailors wear.... :D:lol:

You couldn't make some of this up if you tried. New AC challenger, team owned by somebody who doesn't sail, has model of wrong type of boat painted in team colours and a man wearing a yellow suit, red shirt and a boater hat because that is what all sailors wear.... :D:lol:

I guess that fits perfect in RC;s vision. A lot of useless challengers that will pay him a lot of money to buy a starter kit with no real possibilities to do any thing good and that is no threat to OR. But then as long as he is willing to spend to much cash, who cares :rolleyes:

Its just another team that will not be a possible winner just to make up the numbers. Its a good thing that we lost LR and got this ones as it will make a much better show. :o

The silly-looking PR likely reflects how primitive the campaign still is. Speaking of, maybe Stuart Alexander got this part wrong:

Has there been any mention of Barker?

This helps explain the mono model in the photo; from here

--

p9-sailing-a-20150501-870x580.jpg

SoftBank Team Japan General Manager Kazuhiko Sofuku (second from right), actress Manami Hashimoto (right), SoftBank executive Tatsuro Kurisaka and a SoftBank mascot dog unveil a scale model of the Team Japan yacht used at the 2000 America's Cup, at a news conference at the company's Tokyo headquarters on Thursday. The mobile giant announced an agreement Thursday with the Kansai Yacht Club to race in the 2017 America's Cup, bringing to an end a 17-year absence from the race for Japan. | AFP-JIJI

It all seems all kind of meh to me. Mr. Son has plenty of money, that is certain. His baseball team has done well in its short history. This just seems like just another commercial venture along the lines of cage fighting or monster truck racing, which I guess is exactly what the AC is intended to be now.

no, no...those two organizations SELL tickets...

Lost the link but saw the mention of a Q&A with the press that followed, so perhaps more detail was given there (surely in Japanese media, and so a bit tricky to google for but I'll give it a shot anyway)

The press, seen at SW

Alt_11196277_940923545928338_92186891505

It all seems all kind of meh to me. Mr. Son has plenty of money, that is certain. His baseball team has done well in its short history. This just seems like just another commercial venture along the lines of cage fighting or monster truck racing, which I guess is exactly what the AC is intended to be now.

Well, ACWS Portsmouth has been selling tickets. Although the ones they "sold" me were free. I guess they wanted me to "buy" tickets so the ticket company (separate, well known UK ticket services company) can spam me and what they actually "sold" was my email address. I wonder how many of the pay-for seats they have actually sold.

Some of the Gtran'd articles out of Japan apparently have it that TJ:

Will compete in Portsmouth
Will be active in Bermuda starting in June
Will field a Youth Team
Are considering holding an ACWS event in Japan
Have had one or more of the manager-types active full-time since January '15
Are not announcing the skipper yet

Softbank is in it for the long haul, not for just AC35

The silly looking PR is Japanese culture at work. Ever seen Japanese TV? This actually looks pretty serious to me. I lived and sailed for several years outside of Yokohama (actually nearer to Enoshima where '64 Olympic sailing was held) and this is just the way they do things.

she's got red socks...?

that's what sailors wear :)

Oracle sold them the wrong designs!

or maybe RC, poodles, COR, challengers and OR, are going to change yacht class back to mono's to lower costs, and to attract the team from Tuvalu

Only if King Teaky skippers!

Well, ACWS Portsmouth has been selling tickets. Although the ones they "sold" me were free. I guess they wanted me to "buy" tickets so the ticket company (separate, well known UK ticket services company) can spam me and what they actually "sold" was my email address. I wonder how many of the pay-for seats they have actually sold.

In San Diego ACWS sold tickets on site to access the best viewing area. Also sold tickets for the "VIP" Lounge, allegedly a free booze and meet the players thing.

Hey guys - hold off on these Jap's

At least they have a mascot dog! How many other teams have one eh!

The silly looking PR is Japanese culture at work. Ever seen Japanese TV? This actually looks pretty serious to me. I lived and sailed for several years outside of Yokohama (actually nearer to Enoshima where '64 Olympic sailing was held) and this is just the way they do things.

Yep, worked for more than 2 decades for one of these big japanese companies and can confirm also that when the guys went to play golf they were kitted out in the most golf-like clothing bordering on the ultra ridiculous, when they turned into soccer fans they had all the kit and kaboodle any soccer fanatic could dream of and so on ... but that does not say anything about how serious they can go into things especially -as mentioned- on long haul.

The thing that makes me wonder anyhow, thinking about the typical old japanese ethos, is how they will go about the typical AC shenanigans, the little dirty tricks, the "jimmy the rules" tradition, the sue me sue you buggery ... just not japanese, but maybe Son&co can show us the face of a new Japan ?

Yes, the guy in the colorful clothes and hat is a well known TV commentator and the lady with the red socks a well known actress. Some of the Japanese language coverage even focusses more on her appearance than on the rest.

Yes, the guy in the colorful clothes and hat is a well known TV commentator and the lady with the red socks a well known actress. Some of the Japanese language coverage even focusses more on her appearance than on the rest.

kawaiiiiiiii

Name Manami Hashimoto

Japanese: 橋本愛実 (はしもと まなみ)

Birthdate: August 8, 1984

Birthplace: Yamagata Prefecture, Japan

Education: Horikoshi High School

Height: 168 cm.

Blood Type: AB

Movies

Joshi Camera (2012) - Chiharu

Oneechanbara: The Movie (2008)

Drama Series

Giga Tokyo Toy Box | Dai Tokyo Toi Bokkusu (TV Tokyo / 2014) - Shinako Kubonochi

Tokyo Toy Box | Tokyo Toi Bokkusu (TV Tokyo / 2013) - Shinako Kubonouchi

Jidankoshonin Gota Keshi (NTV / 2011) - ep.4

Boys Este (TV Tokyo / 2007)

Shimokita GLORY DAYS (TV Tokyo / 2006)

TV Movies

All Esper Dayo! SP | Minna! Esupa Dayo! Bangaihen - Esupa, Miyako e Iku (TV Tokyo / 2015) - Haruka

post-33465-0-21095800-1430430755_thumb.jpg

My God! She looks like anime in that photo.

Nice foils.

There are a few photos of her from during the presser yesterday that are very good. An absolutely angelic smile, she's a serious attention getter that must have lit up the YC's atmosphere too, may even have drawn most of the press. Bet that appearance came at a nice price!

Screw '17' TJ should just name their foiler Manami.

Will field a Youth Team

This is the part that I wonder about. When the team was first talked about after LR pulled out it was pointed out that the Japs had been on the go for 3 months. At the same time it was pointed out that the leap straight into the 62 was to big for any new team.

If the Japs were starting anyway either the leap was not to big or OR had already decided in Jan, presumable after discussions with some of the challengers, that the boat size was changing no matter what. They just needed to find a way to do it without looking like controlling assholes, something else they have failed at.

At least one of the gran'd articles that i read suggested they were going to challenge even under the AC62 Rule; it's not clear how much the change to the AC48 influenced whoever the TJ decision-makers are.

I suppose that some teams and players who were in favor of it will point to this challenge as being a result of the change, regardless how big a factor it really was.

The first rumors of Team Japan came out of Luna Rossa and Oracle crew last summer, and other AC team members were talking about it fairly openly at the Sydney Hobart and then Moth Worlds in January. [snip...shouldn't have said that] ;)

Will field a Youth Team

This is the part that I wonder about. When the team was first talked about after LR pulled out it was pointed out that the Japs had been on the go for 3 months. At the same time it was pointed out that the leap straight into the 62 was to big for any new team.

If the Japs were starting anyway either the leap was not to big or OR had already decided in Jan, presumable after discussions with some of the challengers, that the boat size was changing no matter what. They just needed to find a way to do it without looking like controlling assholes, something else they have failed at.

Nice foils.

Yep. Low drag uptips with heave stability.

One of the reasons given to justify the change to smaller boats was that starting from scratch for an AC63 was too big a mountain to climb for a new team. So it was better to lose LR and gain TJ and maybe TF would stay in the game.

Now we are told that TJ didn't have a problem with the mountain climbing but maybe the smaller boat helped. So was the comment on mountains to climb actually just PR crap to try and justify the change or is the comment about TJ already climbing the mountain PR crap to hide the fact they already knew about the smaller boat.

Trying not to see any conspiracy theories here, not sure Oracle is good enough to hide them for long, just trying to make sense of the continuous doublespeak that seems to come out of the Defenders camp.

Nice foils.

I regret, but they are not in accordance with the Rule: it's well known they should be big enough to fill the hand of an honest man (who said that, TC?)

I think that is the wrong way around. Let's screw Manami and name their foiler '17' :D

I don't see a deep conspiracy by OR to change to smaller boat. Every indication by other teams had GD lobbying for AC55 or similar at every meeting. Even LR had no problem with reducing size. The eventual AC48 was smaller than LR wanted and TNZ wanted a qualifier that nobody would come to. LR stomped off like they always do when things don't go their way and GD just wants money and an advantage as he always does. I see many to to lay some responsibility on the current state-of-the-cup, but LR and TNZ are certainly not innocent parties.

Name Manami Hashimoto
Japanese: 橋本愛実 (はしもと まなみ)
Birthdate: August 8, 1984
Birthplace: Yamagata Prefecture, Japan
Education: Horikoshi High School
Height: 168 cm.
Blood Type: AB
Movies
Joshi Camera (2012) - Chiharu
Oneechanbara: The Movie (2008)
Drama Series
Giga Tokyo Toy Box | Dai Tokyo Toi Bokkusu (TV Tokyo / 2014) - Shinako Kubonochi
Tokyo Toy Box | Tokyo Toi Bokkusu (TV Tokyo / 2013) - Shinako Kubonouchi
Jidankoshonin Gota Keshi (NTV / 2011) - ep.4
Boys Este (TV Tokyo / 2007)
Shimokita GLORY DAYS (TV Tokyo / 2006)
TV Movies
All Esper Dayo! SP | Minna! Esupa Dayo! Bangaihen - Esupa, Miyako e Iku (TV Tokyo / 2015) - Haruka

I'm glad we know her blood type.

Didn't they already named it 'Yamamoto'? Or was it 'Yamato'? :lol:

"To the glorious Japan!"

11174217_1102014103158355_74006287465301

I don't see a deep conspiracy by OR to change to smaller boat. Every indication by other teams had GD lobbying for AC55 or similar at every meeting. Even LR had no problem with reducing size. The eventual AC48 was smaller than LR wanted and TNZ wanted a qualifier that nobody would come to. LR stomped off like they always do when things don't go their way and GD just wants money and an advantage as he always does. I see many to to lay some responsibility on the current state-of-the-cup, but LR and TNZ are certainly not innocent parties.

It's all in the timing. TNZ and LR's calls for smaller boats were rejected.

Imagine the money and effort spent in those three months by the fully committed and paid up LR, because the 62 was locked in and couldn't be changed in any way without their consent...vs...TUSA and the paid-nothing-done-nothing Joracle, who apparently knew that if they just cruised for a few months it would be reboot time!

Spat the dummy? No bloody wonder!

So this Team Japan business is legit?

Cool paint job? Unisex black on black with national flag? Dull as dishwater

Worked for TNZ back in the day. Black Magic one of the best looking, if not best, AC boats of all time. All black boat with a silver fern at the back, and some sponsor tags, but I am a simple man. Not a big fan of crazy graphics on race boats and race cars.

2podtnc.jpg

WetHog :ph34r:

Their is always the Volvo to complain about nav -

Hey you just go on spinning and justifying the US sponsored malfeasance in the world - job for several lifetimes

@wetHog - true but then NZ has something of a link with all black team colours.

Didn't they already named it 'Yamamoto'? Or was it 'Yamato'? :lol:

"To the glorious Japan!"

11174217_1102014103158355_74006287465301

You know these guys wish it were being sailed in san Francisco bay. so much for planning for the TV audience.

I'm thinking the man at the presser in the yellow suit is entertainer George Tokoro, who always dresses that way.

I'm thinking the man at the presser in the yellow suit is entertainer George Tokoro, who always dresses that way.

Very appropriate for the event... Did somebody just say (AC) circus?

jointed-circus-clown-cutout-400x400.jpg

Very appropriate for the event... Did somebody just say (AC) circus?

jointed-circus-clown-cutout-400x400.jpg

AC flying circus I think that was, mate.

One of the photos, think it's on either TJ or the Kansai YC page on Fcabook, is of their Challenge paperwork. It was just two pages and may be from a form that's an appendix in the Protocol, but since it's unusual too see one photographed then the details could be fun to zoom in to. For an AC obsessive, on an otherwise-slow news day, interested in annual regattas or whatever else club qualifications that are included. Not as interesting as Manami's bio, and umm other details, but still :)

One of the photos, think it's on either TJ or the Kansai YC page on Fcabook, is of their Challenge paperwork. It was just two pages and may be from a form that's an appendix in the Protocol, but since it's unusual too see one photographed then the details could be fun to zoom in to. For an AC obsessive, on an otherwise-slow news day, interested in annual regattas or whatever else club qualifications that are included.

Get your glasses out.

post-20594-0-75613300-1430512438_thumb.jpg

Signed agreements mean nothing to AC challengers - just ask TNZ about there hostign agreements

Thank you but am on a small-screen so.. anything at all fun or interesting?

Just saved it, old reflex. Haven't read it either, not interested.

Confirmation of club registration and annual regatta is two tick boxes at the end to say that details are included separately. No fun

Mostly just (mildly) curious about what boats are popular in whatever their annual regatta is; probably Dragons. edit: okay, thank you too, rgeek

Hey you just go on spinning and justifying the US sponsored malfeasance in the world - job for several lifetimes

"US sponsored malfeasance in the world"

I think your fucked up hatred of the US goes way beyond a simple sailboat race.

Black monohull model, red socks - did someone high up in Japan read Peter Blakes biography?

Black monohull model, red socks - did someone high up in Japan read Peter Blakes biography?

Let's be honest. TJ will be bringing nothing 'new' to the AC, except new money.

"US sponsored malfeasance in the world"

I think your fucked up hatred of the US goes way beyond a simple sailboat race.

Lost his meds apparently.

Do you ever say anything that is true, SWS?

Like team France is fully funded ?
Careful now, Clean likes to think he is free to be as abusive as he wants without any counter argument.

His threat if you argue is a ban from We's web site so you'd best be vewy, vewy, quiet!

Careful now, Clean likes to think he is free to be as abusive as he wants without any counter argument.

His threat if you argue is a ban from We's web site so you'd best be vewy, vewy, quiet!

You mean like this, which Mr Integrity denied ?

"I have never banned anyone, but you are now #1 on my list.

Push it if you like, but don't expect any leniency or a time-out this time."

Got it.

Nice foils.

I regret, but they are not in accordance with the Rule: it's well known they should be big enough to fill the hand of an honest man (who said that, TC?)

"Couvrez ce sein que je ne saurai voir" Tarfuffe, Molière. Would he have said that if Manami was existing at the time ?

at least he edit:[spinbot] keeps his post count up by regurgitation of articles...maybe just keep em on your own thread like this one

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=161734

If NZ doesn't fold it would be interesting to see DB and whoever from NZ in the start box .

DB won't be with a new NZ team. His temperament is not suited, unlike BA who has complete focus when his arse is against the wall.

WTF, he was your hero not that long ago. Now it's his temperament ? You Kiwis are really fickle fuckers.

Just got wifi again.

DB has never been my hero. He is a bloody good sailor, but not my hero. Give me the reference where you BELIEVE that I said he is or get off the grass.

His temperament is excellent - until his back is against the wall. When he was young he could not handle it when things went sideways. He improved a huge amount, but there is no comparison between his temperament and BA or PB. Those two have complete focus when behind the 8 ball, and it is that small difference that takes a man to the top 1%.

It is easy to achieve the top 20% in anything, be it sport, business, or design. Just a lot of hard work. Top 10% a lot more hard work and dedication. The top 5% drivers - they are where the big money is. They are the top helms.

The top 1% win at the VERY top. Not too many of them around. But BA, PB and RC are of that ilk. DB is not.

Isn't it the teensiest bit presumptuous to conclude they will bring nothing else new? There are some good people around right now looking for a new gig, as we know.

They will bring media interest in the 3rd largest economy in the world, which is going to benefit other teams' search for those elusive sponsors.

They seem to be bringing quite a lot of cultural confusion to the backwoodsmen of SAAC too, which is entertaining.

Isn't it the teensiest bit presumptuous to conclude they will bring nothing else new? There are some good people around right now looking for a new gig, as we know.

They will bring media interest in the 3rd largest economy in the world, which is going to benefit other teams' search for those elusive sponsors.

They seem to be bringing quite a lot of cultural confusion to the backwoodsmen of SAAC too, which is entertaining.

All good for the RCFC I'll grant, but progressing a challenger-based AC contest - not at all, IMO.