Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shootist Jeff

Baltimore - let's burn this bitch down!

well.... It seems they are trying hard to burn it down.

On the plus side, it seems that at least some - including the obummer, are starting to actually talk about some of the root causes of the rage in inner city neighborhoods, i.e. hopelessness, chronic poverty, lack of education, drugs, etc.

Here are a couple of thoughtful news stories on the matter that I thought discussed it well and remained balanced.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/tracing-rage-distrust-freddie-grays-neighborhood/#transcript

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#142476

And its interesting that the usual suspects are not citing racism this time as much. Because with a black mayor, a black police chief, a black city council and a very diverse police force - its kinda takes away the race card to play like they did in Ferguson.

But let's burn the bitch down anyway.....

I particularly like Sen Tim Scott's (black R-SC) take (in my 2nd link above) that it is not the federal gov'ts responsibility to "fix" the problems the inner cities face. In fact I think the "fixes" of the new deal and Johnson' War on Poverty actually are root causes of the many of the problems that blacks face.

What I got from Sen Scott's message was that it is society as a whole and those communities in particular who need to fix the problem. Local, state and Federal can certainly help provide the framework and support for any initiatives. But a federal one-size-fits-all program is unworkable and inefficient. Any fix needs to come from the community itself.

The one thing I find absent or mostly absent in much of this discussion of the rage of the inner cities is holding the people there to account for their own actions. Yeah, the mayor said they were thugs. Yes, obama criticized them for looting and rioting. But I never hear anyone of importance get up and say to a community something to the effect of: "if you want the police to stop being so heavy handed, stop engaging in illegal activity. Stop selling drugs, stop killing others over turf, stop being thugs, stop, stop, stop......Its almost like the lawlessness of these places is taken for granted and that these people have no choice or ability to stop doing the things that get them in trouble with the Po-Leece. I'm not in anyway condoning police brutality - but it has to be a two way street. If they want the police to be engaged with the community, then the community has to do their part as well and start being responsible for its citizens and its own actions. It seems like no one is willing to step up and call a spade a spade - that these communities are by and large fairly lawless and that by not addressing the behavior there will never lead to solutions. Until the community and its citizens, including the thugs, come to realize that they also have a role to play in taking responsibility for their own actions - I honestly don't see how a police force can be anything BUT a hammer to keep calm and order.

Police brutality has it's consequences. I don't believe it's a race issue however....;)

Police brutality has it's consequences. I don't believe it's a race issue however.... ;)

totally agree

For those of you who feel there is just one thing going on here, I offer this.

Not that I expect anyone to really pay it any mind.

Except that this is Maryland; a former slave holding state with a 400 year history of passing laws specifically restricting blacks, using the police to enforce these law and the courts to hand down punishments for these laws. I'm not sure that people outside of the South recognize the extent that police and the courts were used to enforce Jim Crow up through the 1970's. When the laws are disproportionaltly enforced against a population, why should they trust the police and courts? Look to stop and frisk statistics; if you disproportionatly stop a population, you'll find more offenses.

Besides; is this not the Republican mantra writ large? We have been told for 35 years that we can't trust the government and they are incompetent; the people in Ferguson and Baltimore accept that. Deep in 2nd amendment defense thought is the belief that violence is justified against on oppressive government; would the situations in Ferguson and Baltimore be more acceptable if the masses were armed with AR's?

The cost of the tax cuts that benefit those in our SE classes has been shifted to the working poor, is it a wonder that those stuck with the tab will eventually rebell?

I'm really happy to see the many stories and images popping up on Facebook showing the real citizens of Baltimore standing up for their city. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I needed that.

I particularly like Sen Tim Scott's (black R-SC) take (in my 2nd link above) that it is not the federal gov'ts responsibility to "fix" the problems the inner cities face. In fact I think the "fixes" of the new deal and Johnson' War on Poverty actually are root causes of the many of the problems that blacks face.

What I got from Sen Scott's message was that it is society as a whole and those communities in particular who need to fix the problem. Local, state and Federal can certainly help provide the framework and support for any initiatives. But a federal one-size-fits-all program is unworkable and inefficient. Any fix needs to come from the community itself.

The one thing I find absent or mostly absent in much of this discussion of the rage of the inner cities is holding the people there to account for their own actions. Yeah, the mayor said they were thugs. Yes, obama criticized them for looting and rioting. But I never hear anyone of importance get up and say to a community something to the effect of: "if you want the police to stop being so heavy handed, stop engaging in illegal activity. Stop selling drugs, stop killing others over turf, stop being thugs, stop, stop, stop......Its almost like the lawlessness of these places is taken for granted and that these people have no choice or ability to stop doing the things that get them in trouble with the Po-Leece. I'm not in anyway condoning police brutality - but it has to be a two way street. If they want the police to be engaged with the community, then the community has to do their part as well and start being responsible for its citizens and its own actions. It seems like no one is willing to step up and call a spade a spade - that these communities are by and large fairly lawless and that by not addressing the behavior there will never lead to solutions. Until the community and its citizens, including the thugs, come to realize that they also have a role to play in taking responsibility for their own actions - I honestly don't see how a police force can be anything BUT a hammer to keep calm and order.

why can you not get it through your head that these things are happening to people who are not engaged in the activity you've listed above and there are a hell of a lot of people engaged in the activity you describe who are not even given a glance by the "Po-Leece"?

you, in particular, have exhibited the msm disease time and time again (ironically mentioned in baltimore a couple of weeks ago). keep watching the "news" and you'll swear that baltimore is razed to the ground, raped and pillaged. open your eyes and ears, jeff.

why can you not get it through your head that these things are happening to people who do are not engaged in the activity you've listed above and there are a hell of a lot of people engaged in the activity you describe who are not even given a glance by the "Po-Leece"?

you, in particular, have exhibited the msm disease time and time again (ironically mentioned in baltimore a couple of weeks ago). keep watching the "news" and you'll swear that baltimore is razed to the ground, raped and pillaged. open your eyes and ears, jeff.

gty_baltimore_protest_tl_150428_16x9_992

and you wish us to think that picture is the whole of baltimore?

why can you not get it through your head that these things are happening to people who do are not engaged in the activity you've listed above and there are a hell of a lot of people engaged in the activity you describe who are not even given a glance by the "Po-Leece"?

gty_baltimore_protest_tl_150428_16x9_992

Any Republicans in that picture?

Here's some language to chew on:

"I made it very clear that I work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their right to free speech.

"It's a very delicate balancing act. Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.

That's the Mayor of Baltimore speaking.

How's things working out for her city?

"I made it very clear that I work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their right to free speech.

"It's a very delicate balancing act. Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.

It's pretty clear though when you watch the video, that's not what she meant to say- I'm convinced she meant "demonstrate" or some such instead of destroy. At least that's my take.

It's pretty clear though when you watch the video, that's not what she meant to say- I'm convinced she meant "demonstrate" or some such instead of destroy. At least that's my take.

Whatever "your take" is, was seemingly ignored, and is no consolation to the property owners who lost their assets and livelihoods, workers who lost their jobs, and communities that lost their valuable sources of commerce.

It takes decades after allowed lawlessness and riots to cajole and entice businesses to move into destroyed areas. After the 1960's riots, some neighborhoods are still not fully recovered - 50 years on.

The lack of law and order at this crucial time will be remembered for many years by those considering where to raise a family and make investments.

Flame away.

Now that the cops have photographic evidence, they can pursue the criminals.

Not sure that helps, they all look the same to cops.

Whatever "your take" is, was seemingly ignored, and is no consolation to the property owners who lost their assets and livelihoods, workers who lost their jobs, and communities that lost their valuable sources of commerce.

It takes decades after allowed lawlessness and riots to cajole and entice businesses to move into destroyed areas. After the 1960's riots, some neighborhoods are still not fully recovered - 50 years on.

The lack of law and order at this crucial time will be remembered for many years by those considering where to raise a family and make investments.

Flame away.

can't argue there. Yes businesses will be gun shy.

Interesting. With the exception of the five year old, I didn't see any young people cleaning up.

Assholes like NGS, White Cracker, Grumpy, and a host of others will do nothing but post pics that support their narrow view and is as inflammatory (pun most certainly intended) as Sharpton and Shabazz, who will exhort folks to riot and then say they meant something else.

They are trolls and some of the lowest forms of scum. I have no doubt they keep their traps shut when the white college kids burn businesses and cop cars after a college football/basketball win/loss. Talk about divisive and hypocritical.

In fact, I bet this kind of shit gives them a hardon. Pathetic trolls.

Interesting. With the exception of the five year old, I didn't see any young people cleaning up.

You weren't there. I was.

This City is more than the pictures the mainstream media most of you claim to despise want to tell you.

Those are awesome BD - thanks!

Assholes like NGS, White Cracker, Grumpy, and a host of others will do nothing but post pics that support their narrow view and is as inflammatory (pun most certainly intended) as Sharpton and Shabazz, who will exhort folks to riot and then say they meant something else.

They are trolls and some of the lowest forms of scum. I have no doubt they keep their traps shut when the white college kids burn businesses and cop cars after a college football/basketball win/loss. Talk about divisive and hypocritical.

This City is more than the pictures the mainstream media most of you claim to despise want to tell you.

My point was there appears to be a generational divide among the clean up according to the photos. If there are young people helping, why are there not pictures of them doing so? Peer pressure could help more than enforcement.

Jeff. I'm disappointed that you felt the need to pile on from 12,000 miles away. You are off base here in so many ways.

How so? Honest question. I would really like to hear some other perspectives. I'm not really sure what "I piled on" though. I think I acknowledged fairly well the justifiable anger that many of these communities feel. I just disagree with the means to express it. Fortunately, the true citizens of Baltimore held peaceful and legitimate protests while it was the lawless youth that seemed to cause the damage and trouble. But they are also part of that community as well. And I think the community failed them as much as they failed the community.

And I think its only about 7000 and change.....

Well, a big Fuck You back to you. This is a thread about Baltimore riots. This is not a thread about soccer hooligans, white college frat parties, or Vancouver Canuck fans.

If posting pictures of the riots makes you uncomfortable, and you reply with innuendo and falsehoods directed at the source, maybe you should look in the mirror.

Drunken white college kids, soccer hooligans, sports rioters - they all deserve to have their asses kicked and thrown in jail, and pay restitution for their crimes. The cops should not allow them to "exercise their free speech" at the expense of someone else's private property,

You get the "community" you deserve. Let's see if there is an all out effort to locate, using the hundreds of photos, these criminals who trashed parts of the city.

If not, then we will know that those who are responsible for the enforcement of the law are being advised otherwise. And that's a shame, and will only allow things to degrade further.

You are suffering from HJ mind reading syndrome, apparently. I don't recall where I attributed any of this to the "whole of Baltimore". My family is from Baltimore. I still have close family in Baltimore.

You are suffering from HJ mind reading syndrome, apparently. I don't recall where I attributed any of this to the "whole of Baltimore". My family is from Baltimore. I still have close family in Baltimore.

that was in response to that idiot white cracker's pic.

edit: i was just there on my way to d.c. i will definitely make sure i go back. beautiful city and i only got to see a fraction of it.

edit: i was just there on my way to d.c. i will definitely make sure i go back. beautiful city and i only got to see a fraction of it.

Ok, fair 'nuff. I still don't quite understand what about post #11 that you jumped my shit over? What are my eyes and ears not open to as you claimed?

I've posted my experiences with locals in the Rodney King riots and the elderly woman with the shopping cart that fed us in the middle of the night and apologized for the riot.....as if it was somehow her fault. What I seem to see different.....admittedly from a distance......in Baltimore is people with those perspectives are more vocal and acting on their beliefs. Community leaders and clergy are acting on those beliefs. Local celebrities are speaking out against the violence. The family representives are speaking out. There is a notable absence of the inflammatory excuses. It isn't just a lone "can't we all just get along", it looks like a community voice. I think that's remarkably different than what I've seen before.

This is funny. It's as if I staged the photo.

I suppose CNN are also "idiots" for running video coverage.

The NY Times are "idiots" for putting photos of the riots on the front page.

Whenever some disagree with the reality, they choose to label the messenger as "idiots".

I've posted my experiences with locals in the Rodney King riots and the elderly woman with the shopping cart that fed us in the middle of the night and apologized for the riot.....as if it was somehow her fault. What I seem to see different.....admittedly from a distance......in Baltimore is people with those perspectives are more vocal and acting on their beliefs. Community leaders and clergy are acting on those beliefs. Local celebrities are speaking out against the violence. The family representives are speaking out. There is a notable absence of the inflammatory excuses. It isn't just a lone "can't we all just get along", it looks like a community voice. I think that's remarkably different than what I've seen before.

I agree. I think a lot of the usual suspects are saying the right things this time. As I said in the OP, even obama is finally labeling this for what it is..... thuggery. I still don't understand why the mayor apologized for calling them thugs though. They ARE thugs!

I do think Red Tuna's point about there being no young folk out there cleaning up is pretty telling. I suppose they were all catching up on their sleep after being out all night burning the bitch down.....

There are criminals and protestors. Too many here lump them together. Like White Crackers.

Well, a big Fuck You back to you. This is a thread about Baltimore riots. This is not a thread about soccer hooligans, white college frat parties, or Vancouver Canuck fans.

If posting pictures of the riots makes you uncomfortable, and you reply with innuendo and falsehoods directed at the source, maybe you should look in the mirror.

Drunken white college kids, soccer hooligans, sports rioters - they all deserve to have their asses kicked and thrown in jail, and pay restitution for their crimes. The cops should not allow them to "exercise their free speech" at the expense of someone else's private property,

You get the "community" you deserve. Let's see if there is an all out effort to locate, using the hundreds of photos, these criminals who trashed parts of the city.

If not, then we will know that those who are responsible for the enforcement of the law are being advised otherwise. And that's a shame, and will only allow things to degrade further.

I stand by my assertion you have no interest in seeing anything positive to come out of this. I truly believe you see this as clear and convincing evidence of your own superiority. Your name here suggests you are a racist. The picture associated with it reinforces that.

I have a pretty finely attuned bullshit detector. When I am wrong, I admit it. I am willing to bet you would not be as strident in your postings if we were seeing this done by white kids.

Be a fucking man and use the labels for those people. You know you want to.

This is funny. It's as if I staged the photo.

I suppose CNN are also "idiots" for running video coverage.

The NY Times are "idiots" for putting photos of the riots on the front page.

Whenever some disagree with the reality, they choose to label the messenger as "idiots".

Many will loudly and vehemently bash the MSM, because they don't like a "liberal bias".

Yet, they choose the images they want you to see, thereby creating your reality for you.

You are lapping it up like a kitten with milk.

I stand by my assertion you have no interest in seeing anything positive to come out of this. I truly believe you see this as clear and convincing evidence of your own superiority. Your name here suggests you are a racist. The picture associated with it reinforces that.

I have a pretty finely attuned bullshit detector. When I am wrong, I admit it. I am willing to bet you would not be as strident in your postings if we were seeing this done by white kids.

My screen name bothers you?

Funny, no one seemed to be bothered when Martin called Zimmerman a Cracker, but to you, it means I'm racist.

My screen name bothers you?

Funny, no one seemed to be bothered when Martin called Zimmerman a Cracker, but to you, it means I'm racist.

I think you chose your screen name and picture to be controversial or get a reaction.

Yet, you act surprised when that happens.

Or, are you just dense?

By all means focus on that one aspect of the post you are responding to.

Perfect example of good folks taking care of things for themselves without waiting for/expecting someone else to do it for them. Good on 'em.

Now - I hope those same good people turn on the minority few who created the mess and the problems that those good folks are trying to clean up.

And another big fuck you BD.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=165418&p=4933493

please note the time stamps, you really need to get off your high horse

Guest Dabnis

As I started that thread, & If you are shooting at me, I am guilty as charged. I don't read every thread or post. I either didn't see

it, or saw it was a Special Ed post & ignored it. In any event, I didn't see or read it before starting my thread. I notice there were

three other new Baltimore related threads started after mine. I don't see anybody saying they should have been included in

Special Ed's original thread?

Dabs

The one thing I find absent or mostly absent in much of this discussion of the rage of the inner cities is holding the people there to account for their own actions. Yeah, the mayor said they were thugs. Yes, obama criticized them for looting and rioting. But I never hear anyone of importance get up and say to a community something to the effect of: "if you want the police to stop being so heavy handed, stop engaging in illegal activity. Stop selling drugs, stop killing others over turf, stop being thugs, stop, stop, stop......Its almost like the lawlessness of these places is taken for granted and that these people have no choice or ability to stop doing the things that get them in trouble with the Po-Leece. I'm not in anyway condoning police brutality - but it has to be a two way street. If they want the police to be engaged with the community, then the community has to do their part as well and start being responsible for its citizens and its own actions. It seems like no one is willing to step up and call a spade a spade - that these communities are by and large fairly lawless and that by not addressing the behavior there will never lead to solutions. Until the community and its citizens, including the thugs, come to realize that they also have a role to play in taking responsibility for their own actions - I honestly don't see how a ead

Read # 7 and on... interesting

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/baltimore-orioles-baseball-freddie-gray

Kind of odd coming from a 1%'er

Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is

The one thing I find absent or mostly absent in much of this discussion of the rage of the inner cities is holding the people there to account for their own actions. Yeah, the mayor said they were thugs. Yes, obama criticized them for looting and rioting. But I never hear anyone of importance get up and say to a community something to the effect of: "if you want the police to stop being so heavy handed, stop engaging in illegal activity. Stop selling drugs, stop killing others over turf, stop being thugs, stop, stop, stop......Its almost like the lawlessness of these places is taken for granted and that these people have no choice or ability to stop doing the things that get them in trouble with the Po-Leece. I'm not in anyway condoning police brutality - but it has to be a two way street. If they want the police to be engaged with the community, then the community has to do their part as well and start being responsible for its citizens and its own actions. It seems like no one is willing to step up and call a spade a spade - that these communities are by and large fairly lawless and that by not addressing the behavior there will never lead to solutions. Until the community and its citizens, including the thugs, come to realize that they also have a role to play in taking responsibility for their own actions - I honestly don't see how a ead

Read # 7 and on... interesting

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/baltimore-orioles-baseball-freddie-gray

Kind of odd coming from a 1%'er

Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is

Dumb people shouldn't get loans to buy smart phones.

He's partially correct but still misses the boat. I agree that "poverty programs" aren't "the" answer. The problem isn't policing it's jobs. We need a lot of decent paying jobs for working schlubs. Won't solve all the problems but I guarangoddamntee ya it would ameliorate it to manageable levels.

Keep that in mind when you watch this and you will see what I'm thinking.

Where Tim Scott is dead wrong is in saying the government has no role. "Promote for general welfare". They didn't mean "dole" when they were talking about welfare. It's a clear statement that they knew government can't sit idly by and watch systemic problems breed out of control, and there's a lot of other shit in the document that shows they knew there was a need to regulate commerce. The power is clearly granted, if anyone wants to try to dodge the subject with legalistic BS.

That's some seriously funny stuff there, Two problem gangs, with faces covered, hanging out with the Nation of Islam group... what a mess.....

Funny, no one here thinks the thugs were "protesters"

Do you think the protestors are thugs? Perhaps you could ask RD for us.

FOX is focusing their audience on things that would justify brutality. They are more interested in brutality than analysis. It's better for ratings.

There's no excuse for the kind of violence that we saw yesterday. It is counterproductive.

When individuals get crowbars and start prying open doors to loot, they're not protesting. They're not making a statement. They're stealing. When they burn down a building, they're committing arson. And they're destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities. That robs jobs and opportunity from people in that area.

There's no excuse for the kind of violence that we saw yesterday. It is counterproductive.

When individuals get crowbars and start prying open doors to loot, they're not protesting. They're not making a statement. They're stealing. When they burn down a building, they're committing arson. And they're destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities. That robs jobs and opportunity from people in that area.

So are the protestors thugs? Or are the thugs just thugs.

The protesters are protesters. The looters and arsonists are criminals.

+1

How is there even any debate about this?

Yep, thugs.

+1

White Crackers think all protesters are criminals.

Yep, thugs.

You seem to want to take a word recognized as a perfectly adequate descriptor and replace it with a word that is more ambiguous and carries a racially charged connotation. Why? Is there something about the word "criminal" that is lacking? Are criminal and thug synonymous? Why the need to use that word, when the other is perfectly acceptable and actually used in legal documents?

The Crips and Bloods get positive press?

The Mayor of Baltimore allows destruction of personal property, via edict?

JFC, but we are screwed.

Hang in there, BD. Teach your children well.

The Crips and Bloods get positive press?

The Mayor of Baltimore allows destruction of personal property, via edict?

JFC, but we are screwed.

Hang in there, BD. Teach your children well.

RD, welcome back!

Glad you are doing well. Stay sober.

Yep, thugs.

Thugs, looters, and criminals, are every color. And real protesters obey the rule of law.

Perfect example of good folks taking care of things for themselves without waiting for/expecting someone else to do it for them. Good on 'em.

Now - I hope those same good people turn on the minority few who created the mess and the problems that those good folks are trying to clean up.

Yes and yes

+1

I have a question will the peaceful protestors be witnesses against the criminals. Are auntie, grandma, mom dad going to turn in their criminal sons? That is the problem. No solution in sight for that problem because deep down inside its still the OJ excuse. Well yeah they were wrong., but you have to understand ......

Yep, thugs.

You seem to want to take a word recognized as a perfectly adequate descriptor and replace it with a word that is more ambiguous and carries a racially charged connotation. Why? Is there something about the word "criminal" that is lacking? Are criminal and thug synonymous? Why the need to use that word, when the other is perfectly acceptable and actually used in legal documents?

I'm curious.... why is "thug" a racially charged connotation? It seems the thugs are proud to be called thugs - they wear it as a badge of honor. Might as well apply it correctly where it fits.

2Pac-thuglife.jpg

Start 'em young is the way, I suppose.....

1*Vq0g7RKO_ry4v-yPscs5uw.png

and btw - "thug' is not a color. Its an attitude. Plenty of white and hispanic thugs. Act like a thug, get treated like thug - I don't care what color skin you have!

He's partially correct but still misses the boat. I agree that "poverty programs" aren't "the" answer. The problem isn't policing it's jobs. We need a lot of decent paying jobs for working schlubs. Won't solve all the problems but I guarangoddamntee ya it would ameliorate it to manageable levels.

Keep that in mind when you watch this and you will see what I'm thinking.

Where Tim Scott is dead wrong is in saying the government has no role. "Promote for general welfare". They didn't mean "dole" when they were talking about welfare. It's a clear statement that they knew government can't sit idly by and watch systemic problems breed out of control, and there's a lot of other shit in the document that shows they knew there was a need to regulate commerce. The power is clearly granted, if anyone wants to try to dodge the subject with legalistic BS.

I don't disagree with any of that, particularly about jobs. But I would counter somewhat that how does a blue collar job paying even decent wages at $15-25/hr entice a young black kid out of the ghetto when he can make 10x that selling drugs. So yes, I think jobs are hugely important and will help some, but it is no silver bullet. There are far far deeper problems in these communities.

BTW - I don't recall where Sen Scott said gov't had NO role. I don't think he said that at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff. I'm disappointed that you felt the need to pile on from 12,000 miles away. You are off base here in so many ways.

How so? Honest question. I would really like to hear some other perspectives. I'm not really sure what "I piled on" though. I think I acknowledged fairly well the justifiable anger that many of these communities feel. I just disagree with the means to express it. Fortunately, the true citizens of Baltimore held peaceful and legitimate protests while it was the lawless youth that seemed to cause the damage and trouble. But they are also part of that community as well. And I think the community failed them as much as they failed the community.

And I think its only about 7000 and change.....

IB, seriously - I'm really interested in what you took offense to in my OP.

"Thug" is the new "nigger".

If "thugs" are the ones rioting, why don't we hear of these college kids rioting over important shit like basketball championships being called "thugs"? No, for them, we use words like "students", "revelers" and "rowdy kids".

Seriously, why the need to use the word? "Your honor, my client has been charged with thuggish mischief."

Criminal seems a fine word to describe the behavior, yet there is this need among some to find another word. What is your true motivation to replace the word "criminal"? Is there something lacking with that word?

Yep, thugs.

I'm curious.... why is "thug" a racially charged connotation? It seems the thugs are proud to be called thugs - they wear it as a badge of honor. Might as well apply it correctly where it fits.

Start 'em young is the way, I suppose.....

and btw - "thug' is not a color. Its an attitude. Plenty of white and hispanic thugs. Act like a thug, get treated like thug - I don't care what color skin you have!

i remember when people said, "nigger's not a color, it's an attitude", too, still hear it on rare occasions. now it's thug.

thug

θʌɡ/

noun

noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug

1. 1.

a violent person, especially a criminal.

"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"

synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; More

informaltough, bruiser, hired gun;

informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie;

informalned;

informalhood, goon;

informalroughie, hoon;

2. 2.

historical

a member of an organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travellers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

The dictionary definition has no association to nigger

well.... It seems they are trying hard to burn it down.

On the plus side, it seems that at least some - including the obummer, are starting to actually talk about some of the root causes of the rage in inner city neighborhoods, i.e. hopelessness, chronic poverty, lack of education, drugs, etc.

Drugs? Or...

... I would counter somewhat that how does a blue collar job paying even decent wages at $15-25/hr entice a young black kid out of the ghetto when he can make 10x that selling drugs. ...

The black market profit margin exists because of the risk. The government creates the risk. The government is the root of the problem.

Businesses with assets to protect will always hire a protection racket of some kind. They can pay taxes and hire cops but if that avenue is cut off, they'll pay gangs instead. Maintaining the black market is insane.

White Cracker asked elsewhere what "both teams agree on"?

Prohibition.

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
  1. 1.
    synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; More
    informalned;
    informalhood, goon;
    informalroughie, hoon;
    raremyrmidon
  2. 2.
    historical
    a member of an organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travellers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

I didn't say the words were synonyms. I said the word "thug" is the new "nigger". It's a way of conveying the same loathing, but in a more acceptable form.

Of course, no one who is using it will ever admit to the racial overtones.

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
  1. 1.
    informalned;
    informalhood, goon;
    informalroughie, hoon;
    raremyrmidon
  2. 2.
    historical

I didn't say the words were synonyms. I said the word "thug" is the new "nigger". It's a way of conveying the same loathing, but in a more acceptable form.

That's just bullshit, plain & simple. Complete & utter bullshit.

A thug is a thug.

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
  1. 1.
    informalned;
    informalhood, goon;
    informalroughie, hoon;
    raremyrmidon
  2. 2.
    historical

That's just bullshit, plain & simple. Complete & utter bullshit.

A thug is a thug.

I will accept your statement as having any merit when the term is applied universally.

I won't accept yours regardless.

You're a naughty naughty boy!

Indonesia Preman = thug

PNG Rascal = thug

You can't hijack a word for fuck's sake. Thug =/= nigger.

So you just turn your back on baseless name calling BD. Pathetic.

No need to put your apology in your sig line, I'm not seeing any sincerity there.

So are the protestors thugs? Or are the thugs just thugs.

You might want to ask Obama.

Those are his words from yesterday's speech at the White House.

Does he make you uncomfortable?

"Thug" is the new "nigger".

If "thugs" are the ones rioting, why don't we hear of these college kids rioting over important shit like basketball championships being called "thugs"? No, for them, we use words like "students", "revelers" and "rowdy kids".

Seriously, why the need to use the word? "Your honor, my client has been charged with thuggish mischief."

Criminal seems a fine word to describe the behavior, yet there is this need among some to find another word. What is your true motivation to replace the word "criminal"? Is there something lacking with that word?

Shit, more political correctness.

Are you aware that the Aryan brotherhood are also referred to as thugs?

Aryan Brotherhood thugs were carrying out surveillance of police officers and prosecutors and may have been scheming to carry out an attack when groups of law enforcement officers were gathered together, the memo said, according to ABC News.

Of course, it appears that black thugs don't have no respect for white thugs and seem to want the term for themselves judging by the tattoos.

Thug-Tattoos-22.jpg