• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
shaggybaxter

Construction of a Pogo 12.50

I'll be curious to see what your impressions of the interior layout are after you've had the boat for a while. Looks like it could be a bit of a pain to use the galley in head seas, with nothing to brace yourself on fore and aft. Not criticizing your choice or the design at all, just curious to see how it works out.

No problems JaS, I will be curious too, and more than happy to report back any findings. Should I warn most dearest about it prior whilst beating to windward in a short sharp seaway?

Hi Shaggy, I hope the email address I sent you was of use. If not I can forward phone number. I have recieved message from beepo!! All the best with the commissioning. regards CK

Cheers CK, all good , we had a great chat. Thanks!

Seems like the list is still as long as when I started it....sigh..

Shaggy, i know the base boat comes with swept back spreaders and no runners.

Here is one racing right now in the Transatlantic Race and it has runners.

Do you plan to have them or not?

Post more pics. Love to see my favorite boat being built.

post-57849-0-18657100-1435859428_thumb.jpg

You mentioned "standing room" in the rear port cabin. What is the standing room height? At 6'2" (1.85m) it is something that seems like it might keep me away from a 12.50 (as much as I want one). You also said that the stringers are exposed, any idea of how high they are?

Shaggy, i know the base boat comes with swept back spreaders and no runners.

Here is one racing right now in the Transatlantic Race and it has runners.

Do you plan to have them or not?

Post more pics. Love to see my favorite boat being built.

Hi Spin,

Yep, I almost did, but no. I kept having visions of a southerly buster in the s2h in a vicious swell and having heart flutters.

If I think about it, a big reason was simply that I have not owned/sailed on a CF masted backstay-less yacht. I am intrigued enough to try it and really see if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

If I was planning a lot of trans(insert favourite ocean here) racing I would have gone for a backstay or runners.

post-28484-0-60812800-1435918824_thumb.jpg

This is the deck assy being prepped for the infusion process,obviously upside down, but it gives you an idea of the cabin hatchway, cockpit seat backrest etc.

Backrests, what the hell are backrests?

The photo appears misleading, it looks like an IOR hull shape in this picture!

Hi Inarathree, I'm 6'3'' and am able to stand comfortably in one aft and in saloon.f regards CK

Yep, I'm 6'1" and even felt pretty comfortable in the rear cabin practicing the wild-swinging-arms-stuck-in-jacket routine :) (never liked that bastard jacket).

You mentioned "standing room" in the rear port cabin. What is the standing room height? At 6'2" (1.85m) it is something that seems like it might keep me away from a 12.50 (as much as I want one). You also said that the stringers are exposed, any idea of how high they are?

Inathree, re: stringers, I can't remember exactly, I'd guess 6 inches 'ish, or 150mm. They are big enough to have to consciously step over. See pic for maybe a better idea of what I mean.

post-28484-0-47114500-1435920219_thumb.jpg

Edit: Could be 100 x 100.erm...maybe ..nah.

The more holes in a CF mast is worser. What's the swept back angle?

HI Scanas, I'll double check the next time I talk to Structures, but from memory it is 27 degrees. That's sounds like a too? aggressive rake to me, but I am pretty sure that's right.

The only real issue I have with too much rake is trying to run deep, which I don't think will be a great angle for her anyway. We shall find out soon'ish :)

post-28484-0-94994200-1435930417_thumb.jpgpost-28484-0-09466200-1435930499_thumb.jpg

HI Scanas, no to the fixed sprit, retractable sprit, and hoo-fucking-ray it doesn't penetrate below decks. :) I have never seen a bowsprit that doesn't leak when they have a thru hull fitting, I much prefer it on deck even if it takes up bean bag rooom for the kids.

post-28484-0-86546400-1436181787_thumb.jpgpost-28484-0-21794000-1436181835_thumb.jpg

I like the under-deck centerline sprit on my Viper 640. However, I don't have to worry about water or sleep down below. I actually think the symmetry of your bowsprit and anchor roller is quite elegant, and the offset anchor hatch nicely matches the angle and placement of the on-deck sprit.

Seeing a dividing hatch in that anchor locker, is the aft portion for spinnaker launch and douse?

Cheers,

Jason

Bump

So how is it progressing, SB? Deck on yet? You know what they say about pics......

Sorry South,

Been a bit manic at work of late. The launch date is rapidly getting closer, and sod's law says work requires a large commitment at the same time of course. I'll get some more pics uploaded soon.

I like the under-deck centerline sprit on my Viper 640. However, I don't have to worry about water or sleep down below. I actually think the symmetry of your bowsprit and anchor roller is quite elegant, and the offset anchor hatch nicely matches the angle and placement of the on-deck sprit.

Seeing a dividing hatch in that anchor locker, is the aft portion for spinnaker launch and douse?

Cheers,

Jason

HI Streetwise,

Mmmm...viper 640. Yes re: the rearward well in the foredeck hatch is a spinnaker well. It was a bit of a surprise how big it is, but I think it will get pretty wet though. If the foredeck stays dry it will be excellent, but chances of that are slim methinks. Seeing a boat on the dock is misleading when the lift keel is in the up position, the prow is almost clear of the water because the keel folds backwards, lifting the bow.

post-28484-0-91694600-1437647602_thumb.jpg

Another angle. The clearances are tight but I like that. Looks european in style for some reason, if there is such a thing. Little things jar that remind me of my Ducati, hence my rationale.

A foredeck beer/champagne cooler

But foredeckies don't drink cold beer, they're subhuman after all. Ours just eats the bottle whole, doesn't even bother to open it. :ph34r:

Hooray! It is starting to resemble a real boy boat!

This is the deck mould after trimming and prep work being flipped ready for fitting to the hull mould.

post-28484-0-33942900-1437727046_thumb.jpg

And then the glueing and binding process starts to take place.

post-28484-0-50933500-1437727228_thumb.jpg

And then another shot from the rear. I think its theme song is going to be Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen looking it from this angle.... :)

post-28484-0-26548400-1437727469_thumb.jpg

Instruments and navigation next!

Well, the deck is on , and now we're Into the mind numbing, but veery important sanding and filing, sanding and filing, sanding and filing.....

The first shot is the starboard rear bathroom/shower, you can see the hatchway through to the stowage/technical area.

The second photo I will leave to your imagination! See if you can guess where it is.

post-28484-0-17096500-1438446863_thumb.jpg

post-28484-0-65905700-1438446943_thumb.jpg

I just realised I'd missed the waste water tank/s. Two heads, one in the forrard cabin and one in the rear starboard technical area. Aus regulations require a waste water tank for all inshore areas, so another piece to the puzzle my checklist didn't pick up. It is surprising, its only a boat but it is a bit like building a house, detail, detail detail.

I've decided to fully commission the boat in Combrit, including stepping and tuning the mast, taking it out to kick the tyres, then bring her back, destep the mast and then prepackage everything for the long trip to her new home.

It is soo tempting to sail her home , seems only proper for an ocean going capable yacht, I keep wondering how I could possibly pull it off. Time is the only enemy here. I dont supose there are any Yachtmasters kicking around in Europe bored shitless looking for an ocean delivery??

By the time you add up a handful of one-way parafin-pelican rides, port/customs clearance charges (inc the PC), passage making add ons such as tankage, charting/pilots, spares inventory and temporary power generation/storage etc, breakages/depreciation, running costs, stop-over costs and provisioning then less difference in GST/Duty on landed boat value new v depreciated, I think you may find deck-cargo rates are pretty compelling.

Also the best part of that tour is the back end which if your inclined you can do easier enough from your own backyard sometime down the track.

By the time you add up a handful of one-way parafin-pelican rides, port/customs clearance charges (inc the PC), passage making add ons such as tankage, charting/pilots, spares inventory and temporary power generation/storage etc, breakages/depreciation, running costs, stop-over costs and provisioning then less difference in GST/Duty on landed boat value new v depreciated, I think you may find deck-cargo rates are pretty compelling.

Also the best part of that tour is the back end which if your inclined you can do easier enough from your own backyard sometime down the track.

Ding! Couldn't have said it better JS.

It would be a great adventure, but I'd like more time on the boat , to do it with time on your side, and do these sorts of miles when we're racing ...well...anything.

Lots to learn on her, so we should start with some conservative competition like semi submerged shipping containers, leebow a sunfish or two , move up to skulking the local Opti fleet, you know, work our way up.

I had a spare moment, and I drew up a quick to scale overlay of the Benny First 40 and a Pogo 12.50 hull plan elevation.

IRC and non-IRC friendly you could say! Thought it might be interesting...

Edit: It didn't convert to jepg very well, but it gives you an idea.

post-28484-0-22933900-1438696826_thumb.png

The swing keel taking shape, woohoo!

3mtrs down, 1.2 mtrs retracted.

I have this thing for lines, every now and then some line to a hull shape, or rudder mount, or deck assembly will catch my eye.

I enjoy wondering what the designer was thinking to create it that way. Does the beauty in a shape form through function or form? Or to put it another way, is the beauty in a shape a by-product of good design, or is it part of a good design?

post-28484-0-13125000-1439023002_thumb.jpg

I enjoy wondering what the designer was thinking to create it that way. Does the beauty in a shape form through function or form? Or to put it another way, is the beauty in a shape a by-product of good design, or is it part of a good design?

"It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law." -Louis Sullivan

Hi CK, yep, shipping from France. I forgo the cost for the convenience.

I've got the nod that the slip date is the 1st week of October, so busy organising the details, we'll probably be on the ground for 10 days.

We've opted to commission the boat in Combrit, go right over the boat, then destep the mast, shrink wrap everything and put it on the truck.

It'll be 45 days on the water, so with tying in shipping dates we're hoping to have her all put back together and sailing for the Xmas break.

A couple of photos of the interior fittings getting put together.. These are the storage lockers that run either side of the main cabin and the berths. Doors aren't on yet, latches are soft which I like.

post-28484-0-38126500-1439396351_thumb.jpg post-28484-0-06329500-1439396672_thumb.jpg

This is the galley box, this sits to port opposite the nav station. The forrard section is the fridge, 80l, no freezer, then a dual sink with hot and cold water (I know, I'm an evil bastard doing this to a Pogo) then a working area. The stove sits between this and the rear cabin bulkhead.

post-28484-0-10045600-1439396762_thumb.jpg

We're getting to the pointy end now. Deck hardware going on and furniture going in.

Booking flights for week 42 on the ground to commission, defect rectification, sign off and the de step the mast and everything gets packed up for the long journey home.

The small port hatch is over the galley for reference purposes.

post-28484-0-03964500-1441887328_thumb.jpg

And the pedestals going in. This is the big difference compared to the tiller setup for me, is the position of the helmsman.

post-28484-0-82279300-1441887588_thumb.jpg

Upgrading the battery bank to 400A AGM, from the standard 220A sealed lead acid.

Hi js,

Yep and too busy to think worth a tinkers damn at work at the moment, but I'm not complaining!

Eek, it's got doors! This is the forrard cabin, the head is the door off to the left.

The port berth in the main cabin pulls out to a double berth, so the forrard door is offset to starboard.

post-28484-0-85576900-1441895325_thumb.jpg

You were talking at the start of the thread about taking corporate passengers out. Have you had the plans approved and the build monitored by a surveyor or are you planing on sorting that when it gets here? Please tell me you've done the first.

Hi TS and JF,

Lets break the usual mould,as when the shoe is on the other foot I always want to know the answer to this too.

Pogo publish their price list on their website so no commercial in confidence issues there. So if the only issue is copping flak from some internet troll, meh...go your hardest

I have optioned up the build so there is nothing to spend/do when she gets here, so the options list is pretty complete. So in general terms in $AUS:

Boat inc all options: $350K (no dials or sails)

Dials and Sails: $65K

Freight, Duty and taxes: $125K

I am not going to total it as I am a bit simple and I don't want to know. :blink:

You were talking at the start of the thread about taking corporate passengers out. Have you had the plans approved and the build monitored by a surveyor or are you planing on sorting that when it gets here? Please tell me you've done the first.

Hi Scarecrow,

Unsure what you mean mate. I am not putting it in survey, I am not paying professionals nor am I charging clients. Is this what you mean?

The purchase is personal, not by the company, but I will use it for corporate entertainment when it suits us.

To give you an idea, we take the boat to HIRW. Fly customers in for a day/night, take them out for a social day/race, get drunk, fall over, sleep, then pour them onto the plane the next morning. Clean boat ready for the next group. Repeat until alcohol runs out, or skipper elopes with the Audi promo girl.

Yes I will have a surveyor in France kick the tyres when we commission it.

Have I missed something I should know?

Hi TS and JF,

Lets break the usual mould,as when the shoe is on the other foot I always want to know the answer to this too.

Pogo publish their price list on their website so no commercial in confidence issues there. So if the only issue is copping flak from some internet troll, meh...go your hardest

I have optioned up the build so there is nothing to spend/do when she gets here, so the options list is pretty complete. So in general terms in $AUS:

Boat inc all options: $350K (no dials or sails)

Dials and Sails: $65K

Freight, Duty and taxes: $125K

I am not going to total it as I am a bit simple and I don't want to know. :blink:

Coupled with the exchange rate going south(?)...ouch.

Hope the wife is not on SA.

Yep, that really hurt. Wife is thankfully not on SA, although the silent guilt trip syndrome has netted her some expensive home renovations B)

How can the Euro have issues like the Grexit, and the Aus dollar tanks instead of the Euro??? Grrr......International money markets, you can keep them.

Hi Shaggy, I hope your enjoying the ride. She'll be a great boat when your finished. Unfortunately for me the AUD heading beyond the toilet and into the septic tank has meant a change of plan from SF 3200 to a Beneteau First 30 nice little 2nd hand one. I will pretent I am going as fast you (in my head) regards CK

Hi Scarecrow,

Unsure what you mean mate. I am not putting it in survey, I am not paying professionals nor am I charging clients. Is this what you mean?

The purchase is personal, not by the company, but I will use it for corporate entertainment when it suits us.

To give you an idea, we take the boat to HIRW. Fly customers in for a day/night, take them out for a social day/race, get drunk, fall over, sleep, then pour them onto the plane the next morning. Clean boat ready for the next group. Repeat until alcohol runs out, or skipper elopes with the Audi promo girl.

Yes I will have a surveyor in France kick the tyres when we commission it.

Have I missed something I should know?

No issues unless you claim part of the cost of your boat as a business expense. A Ce mark will save you a shed load of problems if you do ever want to put it into survey.

Hi Shaggy, I hope your enjoying the ride. She'll be a great boat when your finished. Unfortunately for me the AUD heading beyond the toilet and into the septic tank has meant a change of plan from SF 3200 to a Beneteau First 30 nice little 2nd hand one. I will pretent I am going as fast you (in my head) regards CK

HI CK,

Congrats on the First 30, they look like a great boat! Reply with some pictures, lets see what she looks like!

I originally went to Structures thinking of a Pogo 30, as I wanted the new owner mindset of minimalist crew requirements, the First 30 is much the same from memory? They look like a great boat mate, not a bad 2nd alternative :).

This is a pic of my didn't-want-but-got-outvoted option, and that is the electric Harken 46.2 winch for the main halyard. This is sitting behind the door to the head and technical area, which is located where the starboard rear cabin would normally be.

My only bitch about it is this is the main stowage area, and as Structures rightly pointed out it will foul the door from opening all the way, making it a bit more difficult for dragging sails in and out.

The simple solution is when we're racing, we'll take the door off, and re-instate once we're in happy family mode. All good.

post-28484-0-35679200-1442230136_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the response, SB. The S2 is pretty quick, and with higher freeboard pretty comfortable too. I hope you have a lot of fun with her. I'll follow your thread with interest

34 S, here's a good shot of a 40S2 in the mould and my 12.50, ie: same hull. Much more cabin volume to say the least. Mmm...waterballast..

Sorry, the 40S2 picture is a bit small.

attachicon.gifPogo 40S2.jpgattachicon.gifBuild 10.jpg

OK, so same hull mould, but you get a coach roof, which is good, but no water ballast? Is the keel a lot deeper and heavier to compensate? Gunwales the same height as S2?

Even if offered I wouldn't go flip up rudders, the class 40's seem to be moving away from them. I guess gybes are exciting enough without having a rudder popping up half way through.

Interesting, but all the new Imocas have them.

So does the most recent Class 40.

This is a pic of my didn't-want-but-got-outvoted option, and that is the electric Harken 46.2 winch for the main halyard. This is sitting behind the door to the head and technical area, which is located where the starboard rear cabin would normally be.

My only bitch about it is this is the main stowage area, and as Structures rightly pointed out it will foul the door from opening all the way, making it a bit more difficult for dragging sails in and out.

The simple solution is when we're racing, we'll take the door off, and re-instate once we're in happy family mode. All good.

Does the boat have a 2:1 main halyard?

Innocent, yes, both the main and the gennaker halyards are 2:1.

CK, thats a lot of boat for the money. Congratulations on the new toy, she looks great, and hardly looks used! When's the first sail?

Innocent, yes, both the main and the gennaker halyards are 2:1.

CK, thats a lot of boat for the money. Congratulations on the new toy, she looks great, and hardly looks used! When's the first sail?

Seems to me the power winch is a lot when you already have a 2:! halyard. What luff hardware are you sourcing?

Innocent, I was going to ask if you are inferring that my good self appears to be a lazy sodden drunkard that couldn't be arsed grinding up a little old main...........till I realised the answer to that is most likely yes, so I confess guilty as charged.

JS, when I told my wife I had swallowed my pride and rolled on the powered winch, she wanted to know whether the button could break her nails :) . (No she is not a diehard sailor)

Rantifarian, I remember grinding up the main on a 60' cat horribly hung over, dry heaving and double vision, my co-ordination with the pedestal get disappearing and the handles kept delivering the best series of uppercuts, courtesy of the evilly grinning bastard on the other side. I would willingly have died that day.

This is the first of the timber cupboards going in, this is housing the electronics/radios next to the Nav table. The upraised glass moulding visible in the bottom right of the pic is the footing for the nav seat, you can see a small space behind it for hanging foulies , moving forrard the moulding drops away into a footrest before rising again to form the base of the nav table.

Regards nav, I have opted for Adrena First Offshore, as I am new to Adrena, and I thought I'd start with the lighter version until I get my head around it. Me being a numbers guy, I am enjoying poking around in software and seeing what numbers I can output.

post-28484-0-77765000-1442389908_thumb.jpg

My most favourite video at the moment, as I prep for not trying not to make a dick of myself trying to park the bloody thing in front of a cast of thousands.

Why thousands you say? 'Cos every time i try and park a new boat for the first time, there is usually some open day or festival where the normally quiet waterfront will be teeming with novices just gagging for a pretzel like me to come along and make their day.

Props to the Maryland school of sailing, good videos and genuine effort to educate the masses.

https://youtu.be/PoGMAEjiHmU

My most favourite video at the moment, as I prep for not trying not to make a dick of myself trying to park the bloody thing in front of a cast of thousands.

Why thousands you say? 'Cos every time i try and park a new boat for the first time, there is usually some open day or festival where the normally quiet waterfront will be teeming with novices just gagging for a pretzel like me to come along and make their day.

Props to the Maryland school of sailing, good videos and genuine effort to educate the masses.

https://youtu.be/PoGMAEjiHmU

just read this thread, im really excited for you buddy. gonna be awesome.

Wide stern, flat bottom, light weight, twin rudders and center mounted Saildrive and you have boat that will be blown all over the place, does not pivot very well, rudders do not make sharp turns and do not turn the boat at all when moving slow even if you give it more throttle. Takes some getting use to. Getting our First 30 in the cross/downwind slip with a very narrow fairway, you need to time the turn perfectly.

This article describes some details on the Beneteau First 30 and some details of the origins and theory behind it

"The First 30’s deck-stepped mast is straight, steeply aft raked and positioned well back on the hull, leaving space for large, non-overlapping headsails. The square-topped main is set on a long boom that overhangs the stern, leaving no room for a backstay. That arrangement would normally require running backstays, but the First 30 doesn’t use runners, relying instead on a variation of the B&R rig that was developed by Lars Bergstrom and Sven Ridder in the 1960s for use on shorthanded around the-world yachts. The B&R rig is distinguished by the absence of a fixed backstay or running backstays, allowing unlimited mainsail roach and easy gybing. The standard sailplan includes a square-topped mainsail and a 105 per cent headsail. In the B&R rig, the shrouds and the forestay are disposed at 120- degree intervals, triangulating the mast support. Hunter Yachts universally adopted the B&R rig in 1993. Beneteau’s First 30 rig is similar, but the spreaders are swept back only 25 degrees, not 30 degrees. Assisting the shroud disposition is mainsheet tension, via a multi-block tackle, mounted on a transom beam."

And the First 30 we race against atm is kicking our ass atm all be it due to the advent of new sails lol. The Sydney 32 we sail with swept back spreaders interestingly enough we allow the the back stay to be loose going down wind for better speed -

: P

Wide stern, flat bottom, light weight, twin rudders and center mounted Saildrive and you have boat that will be blown all over the place, does not pivot very well, rudders do not make sharp turns and do not turn the boat at all when moving slow even if you give it more throttle. Takes some getting use to. Getting our First 30 in the cross/downwind slip with a very narrow fairway, you need to time the turn perfectly.

Hi Overbored,

I am intending to spend a lot of time practicing this! I am looking at choices for 13m berths at the moment, a couple right near the yacht club that are a bit shallow (convenient, no probs with swing keel, but potential for embarrassment), and a couple further out (not as convenient, but not as public :unsure: ) . I might go down on the weekend and have another look with the easiest ingress/egress in mind.....

Viewed from the front or side, it doesn't really appear that beamy until you see it from the rear......

post-28484-0-27732300-1442573569_thumb.png

Tight manuevering with keel up will be very hard - the boat will not pivot around a point, it will slide sideways quite a bit during turns & not track straight at all. So a shallow slip that requires keel up needs to have lots of approach room.

Tight manuevering with keel up will be very hard - the boat will not pivot around a point, it will slide sideways quite a bit during turns & not track straight at all. So a shallow slip that requires keel up needs to have lots of approach room.

Does that still apply with pogo style swinger? You still have all the area there to stop sideslip, although I'd reckon turning circle would be shittier.

Yes. Couple of things happen as keel is raised: CE moves way aft, so windage forward becomes an issue. Hydrodynamics of keel go to shit, so even tho area stays the same, flow is ruined. So keel really loses 'grip' in the water as it's in turbulent flow all the time. So combine this with twin rudders where prop wash does not strike rudders (have to get forward speed to get rudder force) and keel up maneuvering will be tricky.

Hi Overbored,

I am intending to spend a lot of time practicing this! I am looking at choices for 13m berths at the moment, a couple right near the yacht club that are a bit shallow (convenient, no probs with swing keel, but potential for embarrassment), and a couple further out (not as convenient, but not as public :unsure: ) . I might go down on the weekend and have another look with the easiest ingress/egress in mind.....

Viewed from the front or side, it doesn't really appear that beamy until you see it from the rear......

attachicon.gif12_50b.png

Best to try and keep the spectator issue out of your mind as you consider your parking choices in my opinion. Go for the easiest and safest. A little embarrassment from having your first awkward docking manouvers viewed by an audience is nothing compared to the anguish of banging up your beautiful new boat. Having a simple approach and exit, where you can have a bit of speed to keep flow over your keel and rudders would be preferrable for me.

Picture of the mast being delivered, prepping for the single spreaders being fitted. Interesting that the spreaders are alloy, and the boom,sprit and mast are carbon.I am not knowledgeable enough to understand why, one would assume due to loads.

The spreaders are enormous, makes it easy to spot amongst the forest of masts at the dock!

post-28484-0-33407800-1442631449_thumb.png

Hi Ctutmark,

Sorry, thanks for the correction, you are right of course.Having a blond moment, disconnect between brain and fingers.

SB

No worries, would have been an interesting look with a single spreader rig.

Alloy spreaders are simply a cost cutting feature. No reason carbon could not have been used, except that it's hard to get such a small section compacted well.

It looks like a winch mounted on your mast there, surely not.

and three clutches. I would assume main halyard, spin staysail halyard and ?

More like Solent, Spi and either Gennaker or Staysail. Main goes to the cockpit

Is there an inherent advantage to this layout or are the more trying to get some stuff out of the cockpit?

Solent is typically on a furler so once it is up it doesn't need much. Spinnakers/Code sails are on furlers so someone has to be up forward in setting and dousing so minimal penalty to having the halyard on the mast.

One thing to keep in mind is that, with Structures, their boats are truly meant to sail in the ocean.

As this is Shaggy's boat, he can likely answer which lines are clutched on the mast better than I can