• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
shaggybaxter

Construction of a Pogo 12.50

Per a post above, back into the pen. Takes a little practise but you quickly get the hang of it

Hi Swanno,

Thanks, when I was down at the marina , I was looking at pens with the predominant wind angle in mind and there are some good ones. I reckon she'll be right as long as I'm not fighting a cross breeze every time I'm trying to dock. :(

Any consideration to constrictor clutches?

Hi JS,

No mate, but only because I have no experience with them. Are they worth the change out dramas? I had a look and they seem more expensive than normal clutches, which is disappointing as they look like they're a simpler design, ie less cost to manufacture?

Hi JS,

No mate, but only because I have no experience with them. Are they worth the change out dramas? I had a look and they seem more expensive than normal clutches, which is disappointing as they look like they're a simpler design, ie less cost to manufacture?

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but they're about a third of the weight of traditional clutches, and theoretically promote longer line life. These look like they're pretty close in cost, too: http://www.apsltd.com/xts-clutch-1-4-3-8-6-10mm-single.html http://www.apsltd.com/constrictor-textile-rope-cluch-single-6mm-1-4-quot-line.html

Hi JS,

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but they're about a third of the weight of traditional clutches, and theoretically promote longer line life. These look like they're pretty close in cost, too: http://www.apsltd.com/xts-clutch-1-4-3-8-6-10mm-single.html http://www.apsltd.com/constrictor-textile-rope-cluch-single-6mm-1-4-quot-line.html

They're fantastic in the right application. They don't create a soft chewed up section of line where clutch jaws normally would which likely pays for them in a season of use.

We had some issues with one in the middle of the North Atlantic which almost caused me to lose some fingers though. Spin peel in the middle of the night. Success in getting the new one up and old down, go to unload the winch the halyard was on after closing the constrictor on the new halyard. Hands around the 5 or so wraps as I eased the line, all is good, load is on the constrictor (or so I thought) go to quickly pull the wraps off the winch to throw another halyard on when the constrictor parted from the ferrule. Grabbed the halyard as far back as I could on short notice and got a wrap on the winch to keep us from running the kite over. In the process almost pulled my hand into the drum between the halyard (spare me the safety talk, I know it was dumb). only lost about 15' of halyard and ground it back up quickly. Kept the constrictor halyards on the winches whenever possible after that incident.

As long as they're in a spot on the boat where you can regularly inspect the constrictor for wear and make sure its securely embedded in the ferrule it's a great alternative. Ours were in a covered deck organizer which made them close to impossible to repair/replace. You can buy the constrictor and ferrule parts cheaply and count on doing that as a yearly maintenance item.

It's really worth a look at them. They release under load with no damage to the line as well which is quite nice. Just take some getting used to. You obviously need load on the line for them to work properly, so wont work in every application. There's also a couple inches of slip when loading them up. This becomes a non issue after a season of clutching your halyards as you'll be slipping a few inches at that stage anyways...

HI Murphness,

Thanks for the explanation, they sound well worth a closer look. I hear you on the hand in the drum thing, I have had the same thing a couple of time with non locking jam cleats, so I won't hold that against the constrictors. Might look into these further....

Today is a big day, the keel is finally in .....Hooray! :D

Fully extended, the draft measures in at 3mtrs, or 10 ft (ferk). Retracted, draft is much more manageable at 1.2mtrs, or just under 4ft. The hydraulics incorporates a release valve to allow the keel to fold back and up, taking any shock loads from a grounding away from having to be absorbed by the hull and frames. I would still be up for repairing the glass and vinylester, but I prefer that to some of the horrific damage I've seen to the keel/hull mating area.

The hull colors was a bit of a punt, as I don't really have an eye for color, but feedback from some SA'ers and a good mate and I am really happy with the result. The hull colour (vinyl) is metallic silver, and the stripe is navy blue, with a dark grey for below the waterline.

Splash date is October 5th, and I should be on the ground October 12th for a week to commission the boat.

Alcatraz, mentioned earlier on in the thread how time seems to slow down at fitout time, how true those words now seem to be! The clock seems to have sloooooowed down to a ridiculous rate, it seems like the last couple of weeks has taken a lifetime. Only a couple of weeks to go, and I hope to be posting some pics of her floating in the water. I wasn't this nervous, or impatient, when the kids were born!! :wub: (character flaw methinks?)

post-28484-0-31760300-1443179001_thumb.jpg

I have constrictors on the main and jib halyards. the hold good and if you milk the constrictor before releasing off of the winch they hold without slipping at all. I think they should have a cover because if they are lightly loaded and you hit it or step on the constrictor they will release. it would be nice if they had a lever instead of the ball pull cord because they get tangled together. at least the ball should be color coded to the line. good thing is they fit the same hole pattern as the spinlocks

Wow, Shaggy, nice!

Did you pick the vynilester option for the hull?

Hull painted in awlgrip? And the bootstripe?

And your choice of bottom paint?

Sorry for all the questions, just love this thing.

I think you probably would have enough volunteers here for free delivery, just pay provisions. :)

Hi Spin,

I went with Vinylester for the hull. The extra cost came to just over 5K Aus, and since I am planning to keep her for a while it seemed like a logical step. Overall this added about 1% to the budget so this was a relatively easy decision.

I'll look up the bottom paint for you.

View from the bow, we continued the bottom color up over the prow, just to be different, comments?

Dreaming of a scow bow! :blink:

Build 32

That boat looks like shit Shaggy... I'll give you $10 for it and save you the trouble of all that joy it will bring you and Team Shaggster. :-)

Sniff,,sniff,,what would I do without you guys?Nothing but my best interest at heart...

The grrr/grin....electric winch fitted, stanchions on, deck hardware on, interior still going on. I better start organising the freight soon, and booking the rigger for when she lands in Oz. Mental note: Don't lose track of the admin and customs stuff, in the prep to go over to commission the boat.

post-28484-0-50452900-1443220227_thumb.jpg

One thing that amazed me is the number of boats with blunt bows in France - like they have been designed to ram the enemy - whats the go?

attachicon.gifDSC_1161.JPG

Extra deck area around the forestay perhaps

One thing that amazed me is the number of boats with blunt bows in France - like they have been designed to ram the enemy - whats the go?attachicon.gifDSC_1161.JPG

Extra deck area around the forestay perhaps

The hull section is not fully conducive to a plumb bow, so they just square it off.

That boat looks like shit Shaggy... I'll give you $10 for it and save you the trouble of all that joy it will bring you and Team Shaggster. :-)

Sniff,,sniff,,what would I do without you guys?Nothing but my best interest at heart...

The grrr/grin....electric winch fitted, stanchions on, deck hardware on, interior still going on. I better start organising the freight soon, and booking the rigger for when she lands in Oz. Mental note: Don't lose track of the admin and customs stuff, in the prep to go over to commission the boat.

love your attitude and i'm excited as shit for ya buddy ! hope it all goes smooth !

Hi Bigrpowr,

Thanks mate, everything's crossed and I'm focused for a successful commissioning phase. Then transport, then getting the boat reassembled, then hopefully the fun bit.

This is a picture of the rear starboard head and shower area, hot water for Ms SB. To the rear is the stowage, or techncal area. It can be used as two single berths, there is a lee cloth for this reason, but my intent mainly will be for stowage. Heaps of standing room, so goodbye to the crouched down struggling to get into foulies issues, hooray!

post-28484-0-26786200-1443313093_thumb.jpg

HI JS,

Sorry mate, you've got the forrard berth, its the only one big enough to fit your hat.

Does have its own ensuite though.......

post-28484-0-47241000-1443430760_thumb.jpg

This is the galley/fridge (fridge??) going in, there is the stove yet to fit in, so this will move forrard yet to take the stove. Forrard of this is the main cabin seat, which pulls out to a double berth. This is the reason the main cabin door is offset to the starboard side.

post-28484-0-77615900-1443430994_thumb.jpg

I was going to wait till I got to France to update the wet weather gear, but with the Euro to AUS exchange rate, I don't know if it is worth it. I'll poke around over there and see how it works out. Good thing is Aus seems really expensive compared to the UK and US, so I'll enjoy the window shopping as a minimum!

HI Scanas,

No wrap mate, the silver metallic is the vinyl adhesive, the navy blue bootstripe is painted. I like the idea of the vinyl for the simple reason if it pales after a while we'll change it. I have a client that owns one a signage company, and I was looking at some of their wraps the other day, I must admit they looked pretty spectacular.

She is scheduled to go on the big boat on the 23rd October, landing in Brisbane 7th December, so getting a rigger that is not committed running around Sydney Harbour at that time of year is the next challenge, as the intent is to destep the mast and back on its cradle, and repeat stepping again in Brisbane.

I hope to have her test sailing before Xmas, the one and only time I expect to have it up the river is New Years parked off Riverside. Come down and have a beer,I'll be the one running round the deck with a dustpan, broom and rags chasing all the guests.

Id definitely be keen to check it out & sounds like you'll have a nice xmas present. Out of interest any idea how many boats they deliver per year?

Hi Two Legged,

Bugger. You just highlighted a flaw in my planning, I missed the handholds. I don't believe I missed the bloody handholds. The logical spot would be along the upper cabin wall above the nav table and galley, as the wide beam makes it something of note. Thanks for the reminder, it is something I need to address.

You know the saying, the devil is in the detail? Idiot.

I have been working on the freight and importing aspect, and unfortunately because of the commissioning process finishes on the 16th October, I will miss the first shipment date of October 23rd by a couple of days as the deadline for the truck is the 19th. After commissioning , Structures have to haul the boat out, destep the mast, pack everything, wrap the mast and boat and cradle it all, it is just too close.

Bagulerie's next shipment date is 11th November. 45 days on the water means the new eta into Brisbane is..guess what....December 25th !

So, my chances of getting the boat out of the docks, prepped, getting a rigger, and floating will now be post New Year.

Initially I was gutted, but after a day or two I realised it is lunacy to try and rush through the last stage and jeapordise the last 18 months of work. I am determined to do it right, if that means I don't get to play over the Xmas break, well that's life.

It did have one side benefit out of all this. I have decided we'll use the Brisbane to Gladstone in March as our first shake down sail. We've had an approach for media to come along for the ride, which I am unsure about, I really want to concentrate on the boat. So, now is the time to re-adjust and get the planning in place. Anybody keen to come along for a B2G?

SB

Id definitely be keen to check it out & sounds like you'll have a nice xmas present. Out of interest any idea how many boats they deliver per year?

Hi Scanas, sorry I missed this one. They average 12 per year, the Pogo 30 in comparison is approx 2 per month. We have hull number 35, which is uncanny, as it happens to be my co-owners lucky number! :)

Anybody keen to come along for a B2G?

SB

YES. I'll cook, clean, and scrub the bottom. and I'm not too good to do bow.

Hi JaS, Ok, you're the first on the list . She's an aso , the bow might be a bit boring! Don't suppose you have blond pigtails and answer to the name of Heidi do you??

Anybody keen to come along for a B2G?

SB

YES. I'll cook, clean, and scrub the bottom. and I'm not too good to do bow.

Hi JaS, Ok, you're the first on the list . She's an aso , the bow might be a bit boring! Don't suppose you have blond pigtails and answer to the name of Heidi do you??

I will by dock call...

Hi Two Legged,

Bugger. You just highlighted a flaw in my planning, I missed the handholds. I don't believe I missed the bloody handholds. The logical spot would be along the upper cabin wall above the nav table and galley, as the wide beam makes it something of note. Thanks for the reminder, it is something I need to address.

You know the saying, the devil is in the detail? Idiot.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It's something basic which the yard should be doing as a standard item, and its quite reasonable to assume that it's provided.

I doubt it will be too hard to retrofit ... and if that's the only flaw on such a wonderful boat, you'll still have a face full of smiles :)

Been great following the build and bugger about timing getting it here, but it has to be adventageous sitting with the builder for a little longer rather than wish you left it there to add a finishing touch upon arrival.

Hi Scanas, sorry I missed this one. They average 12 per year, the Pogo 30 in comparison is approx 2 per month. We have hull number 35, which is uncanny, as it happens to be my co-owners lucky number! :)

Ok cool, thanks.

Handholds? You don't need no handholds, just order the crew to go fetch things!

I guess everything will slow down on this side over Xmas so S2C too soon? The swing keel would make an easy delivery down.

Been great following the build and bugger about timing getting it here, but it has to be adventageous sitting with the builder for a little longer rather than wish you left it there to add a finishing touch upon arrival.

HI Swanno,

Yep, you're right, and I'm glad it has panned out that way in some regard. Work has been a bit nuts this year with the economy bouncing around like a ping pong ball, so I am looking forward to a week of playing boats.

Yesterday was the big day, after a year of sleepless nights staring at lists and agonising over the decisions and details , Fusion has officially launched, fittingly due to her heritage her first taste of the ocean will be in Sth Brittany. Its weird to think the next ocean she'll touch will be some 16,000 kms away.

Build39_zps2y0wsqpv.jpg

Ok cool, thanks.

Handholds? You don't need no handholds, just order the crew to go fetch things!

I guess everything will slow down on this side over Xmas so S2C too soon? The swing keel would make an easy delivery down.

HI Scanas,

I would chew my left arm off to have her ready in time for Southport, and the intent is for exactly that.

It really hinges on me getting a rigger early in the new year, at this stage this is the only thing that could really stop me. We are working with our customs agent to see when I can get the boat released from the docks, once I know that date I can implement the plan for the final push to getting her floating.

The silver metallic seems to reflect the mood of the water, I noticed how on a bright sunny day , the color is really light, but can look markedly different when contrasted to an overcast grey. Can't wait, only 5 sleeps to go .....

Build38_zpsivqfxahu.jpg

Interesting that you went with the offset wheel. Must be quite the significant weight savings!

Naa...that's me running out of funds ;)

Congrats Shaggy! Simply gorgeous! Paint looks awesome! Love the angled helm steps, i really need those on my boat. Great name, hope its after the process that powers the stars. Enjoy!

X3. Congrats SB, she looks fast sitting still!

Hope you get a rigger but plans seem to undo themselves pretty easily at that time of year.

You should really try and do s2c even if she is not 100% ready.

You will learn a lot about the boat that will help in preparing her for the rest of the year. It is on 23rd Jan but I assume you only need to stand the rig and throw some safety gear on board. There are a couple of riggers work out of RQ that may be able to help.

So what do you need a rigger for? Just curious as i would have thought about all you would need to do after buying a semi custom boat like this would be have some sails made and that would have gone on during the build and maybe buy some safety gear and ground tackle

TS, the boat is going to be shrink wrapped and cradled for the journey out to Aus, part of this is the mast comes off and is wrapped and cradled separately to the boat. The sail wardrobe (Incidence) was as you suggested done as part of the build.

Safety wise the options list included jacklines, 8 man liferaft, Mob transmitters etc, I just realised I even included tethers :unsure: . The intent was to stand her up and go sailing.

Can you get her rig tensioned up there, then mark all the turnbuckles, then just repeat when home? Running rigging should be easy enough.

Maybe I am being a bit too paranoid? I am worried that the rig aka: performance is highly dependent upon being tuned correctly, and I don't have much experience in carbon sticks without backstays or runners. It's a bit far to expect Structures to come down and give us some assistance, so I am trying to mitigate any owner screwups in rig setup as we are learning how to sail the boat to her full potential.

Thanks guys for the good wishes, I may need them when you look at the remnants of Joaquin and where its headed, and just in time for when I land :ph34r: .

I must remember to take the wet weather gear.

joaquin_zpsq4a5azad.gif

I'll be posting a few pics when I get on the ground.

Re: s2c, it would be a great shakedown BS, as we've decided to do Gladstone, so you couldn't ask for a better way to start sorting the boat!

Looks very very sweet Shaggster.... ..your in France so no excuses and don't be a tight arse.. christening her using anything but a bottle from the shelf above the top shelf is simply not acceptable.

JS, my co-owner is Welsh. (Think of a Scotsman without the generosity)

When this subject came up, he looked at me deadpan and said "Use anything in a plastic bottle so we can drink it afterwards"

:unsure:

Well after the Aust Wales Rugby World Cup game on this weekend he will be really really pissed off so be carefull.....just decant some of the good stuff into the christening bottle telling him its just some elcheapo french shit you picked up at Aldi and the toxic lumps in it are so bad it will bruise the gel coat undecanted.

That is really sweet. Definitely my "next boat"...

Tell me again. Is the silver a vinyl wrap? If so, why a wrap and not paint? Is it more or less expensive than good paint?

That is really sweet. Definitely my "next boat"...

Tell me again. Is the silver a vinyl wrap? If so, why a wrap and not paint? Is it more or less expensive than good paint?

HI Roleur,

The silver metallic is a vinyl adhesive sticker for want of a better word, the cost was $AUS2000 which I found pretty reasonable. I think it was CMS? had previously chased down the OEM manufacturer once, and there were more expensive options available.

Vinyl "wrapping" that one of my customers was showing me seemed a lot thinner and went around the whole boat. The cost for this was a lot more , but varied dependent upon the artwork and colours etc, where the vinyl I have gone with has a range of color options but solid colors only.

In theory, I can peel it off and reapply another color, but Pogo frowned upon any of the dark colors for the usual reasons.

I am flying out tonight, next lot of pics should be from on the ground in Combrit! Looking forward to the next week :)

Shaggy. Formidable. Je suis juste s'y habituer une greement de BR. Not sure about my Franglais assitance by Monsieur Google. Essentially getting used to the BR rig for the Freo Doctor. Whether to use running backstays or not. regards CK

Merci CMS!

I've finally arrived just after 2pm Sunday local time, left home some 36 odd hours ago, but I feel pretty good, I had an overnight in Paris before jumping on the 8am train to Quimper, then a short 25 min taxi ride to Combrit, so all good.

I threw the bags in the hotel and went for a walk to see if I could spot her in the flesh for the first time, and success! I was sooooo tempted to sneak aboard, but I couldn't do that, if I was the builder I'd shoot a prospective owner that went clambering all over the boat before commissioning.

Patience....young Shaggy.....Monday morning I will shoot back in to Quimper to grab a car for the week, then straight over to Structures. Hope they have the kettle on....

IMG_1748_zpshts0ywyb.jpg

Shaggy, Congrats. That is a beautiful boat and it looks ready to go. Thanks for the pics. have a great sail, I know it will be great.

I've finally arrived just after 2pm Sunday local time, left home some 36 odd hours ago, but I feel pretty good, I had an overnight in Paris before jumping on the 8am train to Quimper, then a short 25 min taxi ride to Combrit, so all good.

You just went about 800m past me in Rennes.

Welcome to Brittany, I hope that you enjoy it here. If for some reason, you need local help/knowledge, feel free to ask.

Hull colour & the height of the colour above the waterline look great. Just needs a little Aussie Flag flying off the stern to show it's coming downunder.

Screw the Oz flag flying off the stern Scanas showing where she is bound for....would much rather see a pic now from Shagster with a nice French damsel showing us where his wonderful looking boat is currently floating.

You just went about 800m past me in Rennes.

Welcome to Brittany, I hope that you enjoy it here. If for some reason, you need local help/knowledge, feel free to ask.

Thanks Panoramix, I appreciate it and I may do just that. Last time I was here we got held up coming in to Paris, caught the train to Rennes, hired a car and drove like lunatics to get here on time. This time it was a wee bit more civilised thankfully.

Ferk...jet lag,opened my eyes at 3am all bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Sorry JS, I cant find any french mademoiselles at 3 in the morning for some happy snaps, well....I did find a lovely old gentlemen with only two teeth left out for some early fishing, will that do?

I like how the traveller arrangement is set up, clean,neat and simple.

IMG_1756_zps2wm5s9e9.jpg

Foredeck shot showing the babystay and sprit, toerails look nice and chunky which is good.

IMG_1768_zps32vnad4j.jpg

Wish I could sleep......

Hull colour & the height of the colour above the waterline look great. Just needs a little Aussie Flag flying off the stern to show it's coming downunder.

HI Scanas, Bugger, why didn't I think of that?

2 photos! Did you have a previous career as a burlesque dancer SB? Take it off! I mean, er ... post more photos.

Some Pogos in the last few years have had star crazing around stanchion bases and around some other deck fittings quite early in life. Some deck fittings have had backing plates too small or not contoured to the GRP. Pretty hard to spot these things fresh out of the box, and Structures have been good about having them fixed.

Hi guys, sorry about the lack of pics, too busy enjoying the french hospitality and soaking up the experience. It's 8am here, the light is just starting to come in and I'm enjoying a coffee looking out over the harbour . Our first test sail yesterday and I'm sitting here still grinning like an idiot. The locals probably think I'm unhinged :).

I'll get some pics up soon.

Hi guys, sorry about the lack of pics, too busy enjoying the french hospitality and soaking up the experience. It's 8am here, the light is just starting to come in and I'm enjoying a coffee looking out over the harbour . Our first test sail yesterday and I'm sitting here still grinning like an idiot. The locals probably think I'm unhinged :).

I'll get some pics up soon.

The locals will only think your unhinged Shaggmeister if your not having half a dozen or so Pastise's with your coffee.

Well, there you go, the first day and a test sail under our belt. We spent the morning going over the inventory list, and so far the only discrepancies were minor, a water pipe not anchored, some labels not on yet, jacklines not run. All easily corrected, so far so good.

After lunch at a local cafe, it was time for a test sail. The forecast was for 12-17 knots, and with Coralie and Antoine from Structures as the genial and enthusiastic crew, we piled on board. The marina is located at St Marine in Combrit on the River Odet, about 2nm from the Bay of Biscay, which is a pretty nice spot to sail.

We were moored starboard side in facing the river mouth, and there was a pretty stiff 2kn tide running out, wind was blowing us onto the dock, so I handed the controls over to Antoine to get us off,.

Bugger the electric winch, we put a reef in the main, Coralie jumped up to the mast with Antoine tailing in the cockpit and the main is up and made, I see now why the main halyard is a 2:1, the fat head main is big. The first headsail we tried was the solent. Unfurling as you’d expect is simple, just make sure the furler is set to run and haul on the sheet. As the ropes are all new, we had one moment where the sheet popped out of the jaws, but that was it. So, 4 wraps on all the winches was the norm, and yet it didn’t really feel like you had loads of resistance when tacking and throwing ropes on and off which is good. Initial thoughts were the boat feels really balanced.

I was surprised, I thought these things weren’t supposed to go to windward? After trimming, a true wind angle of 40 degrees in flat water was pretty easy, Speeds were in the 7’s. I need to focus on learning the barber hauler positions as they seem infinitely adjustable. Coralie was warning me the line that controls the sheet ring forrard and aft position needs always to have a few wraps on a winch before release, ie: the loads are pretty high. Must remember that as you could imagine losing a finger if you got complacent.

We furled the solent and next was the staysail. Wind had increased by then, gusty and strong, we had quite a few times 30 knots apparent over the deck, with I’d guess a max 24 knots TWS. So we threw a reef in the staysail, which was a bit finicky as the hanks were tight on the splice at the bottom of the babystay, the sail is new and a heavy cloth. Experience and time will sort this out. The babystay is adjustable from the cockpit, so after setting the staysail you adjust the tension on the babystay before adjusting the staysail halyard.

Again, the balance was all good, racing I can imagine the traveller being the key with the big square roached main, oversheet the traveller and you can’t bear off. Traveller adjustment doesn’t take a gorilla even when loaded up, I was expecting to need more brute strength. Same as the main sheet, the ratios are more biased to more turns and less strength.

She planes almost ridiculously easy, regardless of the headsail choice, 120 to 150 degrees and off she goes, we were planing at 8 knots in 13kn TWS under the solent!

Time for the gennaker. The setup was complicated a bit as the sail was brand new (finding the clew/tack) the staysail reef got in the way a bit but again, nothing that time and experience wont sort out. Got her up and furling from the cockpit, she popped out and in 20 odd kn true and 130, trimmed ok and she took off, comfortably pegged up to 13knots.

Parking, this is what I was worried about the most, and this was the biggest surprise. Coming back into the dock, we had a breeze pushing us against the dock, so I relinquished controls back to Antoine, and watched with interest. We came straight at 90 degrees to the dock, and when we were a boat length away he started turning and we came to rest against the dock. Meh! Wish I could do that and make it look so easy! One of the guys explained that the steering assembly is biased, ie the rudders actually turn at different angles, the inner rudder angles at a higher rate to the outer, and the rudder surface impact is surprisingly effective.

The overriding feeling is she is very tolerant, at no time did it feel out of control or on the edge, the more wind, the more she dug that wide beam in and soaked up the pressure. The helm position felt great, another thing I was worried about, and overall I am really chuffed with the first day’s results. Roll on the rest of the week!

Some more pics!

Vang, what vang??

IMG_1765_zpsv5ww6fza.jpg

The solent, gennaker and spinnaker halyard winch and jam cleat position.

IMG_1771_zpspybkvoor.jpg

Mmm....carbon.......

IMG_1767_zpsvhzct9kk.jpg

Helm position felt great, sitting or standing. The angled steps really make a difference.

IMG_1758_zps4hizletl.jpg