Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeronimoII

VOR Leg 7 Newport - Lisbon

High profile crew change on board Dongfeng for the transat crossing. French media reports that Sydney Gavignet is replacing Eric Peron for the leg. Charles expects "big breeze" and is happy to have Gavignet's experience on board

NOR incl Amendment 17 is up on the noticeboard. Some oddities, like not allowing garbage to be removed or crews to use a hose, and emphasis on the involvement of the IJ.

29.2 not copied here (regards the times of the obligatory skipper presence at the press conferences).

AMENDMENT 17: 19.3, 19.4, 19.5 (f), (g), 24.12, 29.2 (Lorient), (The Hague)END.

19. NON-HAUL-OUT AND PITSTOPS

1. 19.1 When a Leg finishes at a Non-Haul-out Stop or a Boat has crossed the line in The Hague Pit Stop and is waiting to resume racing, a Participant shall not use any machinery, systems, devices or other methods of removing the Boat from the water or the water from around the Boat and shall not use a crane or other method to remove or step the rig or any other item.

2. 19.2 The mast shall not be removed from the Boat.

3. 19.3 A diver may be used for underwater maintenance and repairs. and a Crew Member may use a

hose to wash down the boat and other equipment.

4. 19.4 Should a Boat require work that would contravene either NOR 19.1 or 19.2, 19.5 (a) or ( B) the Participant shall, prior to commencing the work. Apply to the RC for permission to carry out the work, the application shall contain information from the VCA, BY or supplier of the item that needs the work outlining the problem and the suggested method of repair or replacement. The RC may refer the matter to the IJ, which may result in a hearing and the Boat shall be bound by the IJ’s decision.

5. 19.5 In addition during a Pit Stop the following permissions and restrictions apply:

(a) Repairs, replacements or modifications to the Boat shall only be carried out by a Crew Member who is on the Boats crew list for the Leg from Lorient to Gothenburg and only using equipment and spares carried on-board for that Leg.

1. ( B) All work carried out under NOR 19.5 (a) shall be carried out on-board the Boat.

2. © Extra fuel, water, food, provisions or shore power shall not be taken on-board during the

Pit Stop.

3. (d) Crew Members may leave and return to the Boat during the Pit Stop.

4. (e) Other than the clothing and personal items the Crew Member is wearing at the time or is required to have with them (watches, sunglasses, passport, sunglasses etc.) all other items including computers, gear bags etc. shall remain on-board during the Pit Stop.

5. (f) Guests and media may go on-board for visits or interviews. While on-board they shall only be accompanied by Crew Members. The guests or media shall not be on-board with bags but may carry and use cameras and recording sevices, they may wear clothing that is suitable for the prevailing conditions.

6. (g) Garbage may be removed from the Boat.

7. 19.6 The Leg SI’s or their addendums may contain further restrictions or permitted activities.

19.7 An infringement of NOR 19 will be reported to the IJ and may result in a protest.

24.12 CLASS FLAG[/size]

The [/size]VO65 [/size]Class flag will be supplied by the [/size]OA [/size]and each [/size]Boat [/size]shall display the flag on an aft support leg for the aerial frame at all times while afloat or [/size]Racing[/size]. [/size]

Regarding the "Garbage cannot be removed"...

The Hague is the last stop (and only a 24 hrs pit stop at that) before the final run to the finish line...

Imagine that you are 10 minutes behind your predecessor on the overall scoreboard in The Hague, and from the weather forecast, you know that the last stretch is going to be light winds only; or even fickle winds....

Suddenly, to lighten your boat, A LOT OF STUFF on board could be labeled "Garbage"... Would the race rule forbid to consider all personal gears, heavy weather sails, all spares, etc. to be called Garbage and make your boat a few hundred kilos lighter than the competition ? I do not know the rules, but that might be tempting to some teams.

Minoprio is joining Brunel for the last three legs. Replacing Spanish De la Plaza

I wonder who Brunel expect to be match racing to the finish line in Lisbon :D

Just as the Top Gun reference from DFRT at the Auckland Prize Giving dinner Charles clearly "feels the need, the need for speed" ha ha

SS

Great review. In summary, a drag race across the Pond. Little in way of transitions so I consider that the fleet will be tightly grouped for any break away will spell doom but too much separation may not be made up coming into Lisbon where instead of a drifter, they may finally motor in.

Anyone have the YouTube link for today 's in port trace?

Well! Thanks for making the options clear, especially the use of running % of Polars. Guess that's where Expedition would be more optimal than CPN

I didn't 'get' the "might not be so straight forward for Team SCA" comment, unless it's related to the poetry tweets.

Fun, though. I've never considered the Owl poem as a metaphor for racing, but lots of possibilities. ADOR and DF?

Periscope coverage is manic. Lost connections, so many streams. No scrolling, hearts and comments obscuring the shaky views.

Manic.

As a beta, some potential.

That's what we've been talking about stief. Not quite ready for prime time, but the potential is there. And I've tried every live stream app in existence over the past 5 years.

Bouwe:

Wanna know when the VOR goes multihull? Watch this one.

I liked your interviews (commented on in the apt threads), though wish you'd update you sig links. Took a while to hunt the Vimeos down, but glad they can be posted in these forums

^^ Many thanks Mr C. loved it

Dock walk is UP. 15 minutes of good shit, hit it now.

CO-ED a more likely option than either SCA going another round, or Sam putting together another all-girls team as said earlier? Interesting.

"Bigger than the Cup" -- bold, but IMHO, correct.

Another interesting start, ducking the fleet paid off, then Iker sailing aggressively.

Another interesting start, ducking the fleet paid off, then Iker sailing aggressively.

Yep. Great start, since the wind allowed decent windward leeward. Glad to see MAPF scare the commentators with the close call on the rock(s). Ian Walker must be anxious seeing DF's lead, but there is still a long way to go, and Ian won this leg in a slower boat last time by playing the weather systems. Maybe we'll now see a real split.

I liked your interviews (commented on in the apt threads), though wish you'd update you sig links. Took a while to hunt the Vimeos down, but glad they can be posted in these forums

Sorry, will put a Vimeo link in my sig as soon as Mer makes me a carbon one!

Worth my time, but the production was amateur hour. A different sound feed kept breaking in and drowning out Clean. Please someone get the cameraman off methedrine before he hurts himself.

Yep. Great start, since the wind allowed decent windward leeward. Glad to see MAPF scare the commentators with the close call on the rock(s). Ian Walker must be anxious seeing DF's lead, but there is still a long way to go, and Ian won this leg in a slower boat last time by playing the weather systems. Maybe we'll now see a real split.

I know wishful dreaming BUT I hope DFRT will put Walker & his ADOR gang away this time :D

Well, you'll like the pep talk for DF (especially since they've fixed the sound). e.g. 30% of the points still up for grabs, and remember Telefonica who was leading at this point last time, and then came 4 to 5th. (I remember, grrr. ). Enjoy:

Worth my time,

Glad to hear it.

Anderson:

Good one. Nice leg preview, and convincing take on Newport. Minor note: Campbell updated his leg preview 8 hrs ago from the one mentioned.

So SCA grabbed the lead according to the 21:45 sked, and the teams closed up ADOR ahead of Alvi, Brunel still ahead of ADOR. Tracker (on the app) has MAPF, DF, and SCA cutting through the exclusion zone. Volodia's tracker hasn't got the latest, but Nezor's has a 20:00 hr feed.

Oh well. Don't know what to know :) we'll see.

[edit Volodia's tracker has them all properly clearing the TSS, but MAPF still ranked 1]

I know wishful dreaming BUT I hope DFRT will put Walker & his ADOR gang away this time :D
+1

That first beat to the windward was probably the best beat of any in port or leg start so far.

And... the official tracker is officially bonkers.

Volodia's tracker shows them all staying outside the exclusion zone.

Don't know how to cut it across on to this page.

It feels like the official tracker still shows the leg 5 restricted zone (Separation zone + Outward channel).

NP Start

Matt Knighton OBR, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

Go to team website

Between 2000 and 2100 UTC on May 17, Dongfeng Race Team, MAPFRE and Team SCA entered the part of the Traffic Separation Schemes that is not forbidden by Leg 7 Sailing Instructions.

According to the Rule 6.3 of the General Sailing Instructions,

Breaches of RRS 48.2 will not be grounds for protest by a Boat. This changes RRS 60.1 (a).

And according to the Rule 48.2 of the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing,

A boat shall comply with rule 10, Traffic Separation Schemes, of the IRPCAS.

More information on the International Maritime Organisation website HERE.

Race Control is establishing facts regarding this situation. See Matt Knighton's blog below.

“I wanted to be in front of Dongfeng so we could control them”, Ian said in frustration as he sat on the bow in the light wind. “Now because of all this Exclusion Zone business, they’ve managed to slip away from us.”

Just minutes earlier, we had gybed several times around an invisible mark in the ocean. The spectators on the last few power boats shadowing us would never have guessed it was there – there was no blinking buoy or square floating mark – it’s marked by GPS coordinates.

This specific mark was the corner of a larger box that forms a Traffic Safety Separation Exclusion Zone. Consisting of two lanes for incoming and outgoing ships with a figurative barrier between, oceangoing vessels use these TSS areas for safety in high traffic areas. Before the leg, race management decided that teams needed to either respect the correct flow of traffic in the lanes or not enter the zone at all.

Dongfeng, Mapfre, and SCA entered the zone.

We watched as their courses on the nav computer sailed deeper and deeper into the red colored box against the traffic flow. Their routes didn’t just cut the corner on a piece of open water with little significance – no, they were the equivalent of riding a bike across an eight-lane highway and then turning left into oncoming traffic.

They had raced several miles down the course while we had to perform several tacks to get around the zone. Ian, SiFi, and the rest of the guys – still buzzing on deck from the magnificent send-off in Newport – were furious at the loss.

The day has now turned to a familiar darkness and below deck you can hear the light drips of water on deck from the dense fog bank we’re sailing through. The deck is faintly glowing through a dull haze lit by the red instrument lights.

Chuny somehow managed to smuggle a half dozen bags of potato chips onboard before we left and just broke a bag open. Sharing it with all the guys gathered around the nav station, there’s a faint crunching sound as every eye is fixed on the gap that’s growing between Dongfeng and ourselves.

Will there be a penalty? We don’t know. All we can do now is chase them down as Lisbon grows nearer on the horizon.

interesting that ADOR cannot protest the other boats. This reads like Ian Walker calling foul and seeing if it sticks. Will we here anything before the finish in Lisbon or will we have to wait for the IJ? I guess the next step is for Volvo to protest the three boats?

if you go to volodia and select nautical charts, you can see that the boats sailed across / up the wrong way on the separation lane. Although Mapfre's track is not easy to see as it is White on White.

The TSS traffic seperations scheme is governed by IRPCAS = turned into local law enforced by local government, US Coastguard can hand out fines? General Sailing Instructions prevent boats from protesting here.

The course is defined in the sailing Instructions. The exclusionzone defined in Sailing Instruction $ 2 is dealt with in Sailing Instructions amendement 7 § 5 ROAD ISLAND SOUND TSS Exclusion Areas.

The exclusionzones do not cover the TSS completely. 3 boats entered parts of the TSS left out of the exclusion zones.

No rule was breached (my opinion)

You can always protest, weather dismissed or if there will be a hearing is another matter, and frivolous protesting could be deamed unfair as per ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing §2.

In my opinion only SCA crossed the TSS at as right an angle as possible. None the less i don't think the US CG will stop Dong Feng or Mapfre.

The TSS traffic seperations scheme is governed by IRPCAS = turned into local law enforced by local government, US Coastguard can hand out fines? General Sailing Instructions prevent boats from protesting here.

The course is defined in the sailing Instructions. The exclusionzone defined in Sailing Instruction $ 2 is dealt with in Sailing Instructions amendement 7 § 5 ROAD ISLAND SOUND TSS Exclusion Areas.

The exclusionzones do not cover the TSS completely. 3 boats entered parts of the TSS left out of the exclusion zones.

No rule was breached (my opinion)

You can always protest, weather dismissed or if there will be a hearing is another matter, and frivolous protesting could be deamed unfair as per ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing §2.

In my opinion only SCA crossed the TSS at as right an angle as possible. None the less i don't think the US CG will stop Dong Feng or Mapfre.

i think youve missed a bit - the racing rules of sailing - rule 48.2 states "A boat shall comply with rule 10, Traffic Separation Schemes, of the IRPCAS."

It looks like the boats did not comply with Rule 10 of the traffic separation scheme, they therefore broke rule 48.2 of the Racing Rules of Sailing. What the US coast guard thinks is not relevant (in this case...)

Switch MAPF track to grey to make them more visible on Navionics maps.

If you have a better idea for the color, feel free !

Rule 10

Traffic separation schemes.

(a) This rule applies to traffic separation schemes adopted by the organisation and does not relieve any vessel of her obligation under any other Rule:

(B) A vessel using a traffic separation scheme shall:

(i) proceed in the appropriate traffic lane in the general direction of traffic flow for that lane;

(ii) so far as practicable keep clear of a traffic separation line or separation zone;

(iii) normally join or leave a traffic lane at the termination of the lane, but when joining or leaving from either side shall do so at as small an angle to the general direction of traffic flow as practicable.

© A vessel shall, so far as practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes but if obliged to do so shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles to the general direction of traffic flow.

(d)

(i) Inshore traffic zones shall not normally be used by through traffic which can safely use the appropriate traffic lane within the adjacent traffic separation scheme.
However, vessels of less than 20m in length, sailing vessels and vessels engaged in fishing may under all circumstances use inshore traffic zones.

(ii) Notwithstanding subparagraph (d) (i), a vessel may use an inshore traffic zone when
en route
to or from a port, offshore installation or structure, pilot station or any other place situated within the inshore traffic zone, or to avoid immediate danger.

(e) A vessel other than a crossing vessel or a vessel joining or leaving a lane shall not normally enter a separation zone or cross a separation line except:

(i) in cases of emergency to avoid immediate danger.

(ii) to engage in fishing within the separation zone.

(f) A vessel navigating in areas near the terminations of traffic separation schemes shall do so with particular caution.

(g) A vessel shall as far as practicable avoid anchoring in a traffic separation scheme or in areas near its terminations.

(h) A vessel not using a traffic separation scheme shall avoid it by as wide a margin as practicable.

(i) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any vessel following a traffic lane.

(j) A vessel of less than 20m in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane.

(k) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre when engaged in an operation for the maintenance of safety of navigation in a traffic separation scheme is exempted from complying with this rule to the extent necessary to carry out the operation.

(l) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre when engaged in an operation for the laying, servicing or picking up of a submarine cable, within a traffic separation scheme, is exempted from complying with this Rule to the extent necessary to carry out the operation.

The SI Amendment 7 went wrong by missing the part(s) of the TSS in the definition of the exclusion zone(s) as they should have as per Sailing Instructions $6.2

6.2 Some TSS zones that interact with the route will either be identified as an exclusion zone or an obstruction. The RC shall use C-MAP charts to identify a Boats compliance with RRS 48.2 at IMO adopted TSS zones.

The identified in "will either be identified as an exclusion zone or an obstruction." did not quite work here.

Some boats obviously read "some that interact with the route" are not all TSS. Sailing Instructions § 6.3 gave them liberty to enter and cross TSS that were not identified. And nobody asked questions checking the exclusion zones.....

It is just plain odd, at least on the surface. The leg instructions placed restrictions over the separation zones and inbound lanes of two TSS zones. But in both cases left the outbound free. You would have to ask why? But there is no doubt that they identified "some" zones.

This is clearly done with forethought and intent. It would be hard to see how the RC could protest under these circumstances.

The boats were not using an inshore zone, or using the TSS lanes, so they are left with "so far as practicable avoid crossing". But the letter of rule 10 allows crossing at right angles, so a breach of the rules is perhaps even harder to pursue.

Matt Knighton OBR, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

Go to team website

Between 2000 and 2100 UTC on May 17, Dongfeng Race Team, MAPFRE and Team SCA entered the part of the Traffic Separation Schemes that is not forbidden by Leg 7 Sailing Instructions.

According to the Rule 6.3 of the General Sailing Instructions,

Breaches of RRS 48.2 will not be grounds for protest by a Boat. This changes RRS 60.1 (a).

And according to the Rule 48.2 of the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing,

A boat shall comply with rule 10, Traffic Separation Schemes, of the IRPCAS.

More information on the International Maritime Organisation website HERE.

Race Control is establishing facts regarding this situation. See Matt Knighton's blog below.

“I wanted to be in front of Dongfeng so we could control them”, Ian said in frustration as he sat on the bow in the light wind. “Now because of all this Exclusion Zone business, they’ve managed to slip away from us.”

Just minutes earlier, we had gybed several times around an invisible mark in the ocean. The spectators on the last few power boats shadowing us would never have guessed it was there – there was no blinking buoy or square floating mark – it’s marked by GPS coordinates.

This specific mark was the corner of a larger box that forms a Traffic Safety Separation Exclusion Zone. Consisting of two lanes for incoming and outgoing ships with a figurative barrier between, oceangoing vessels use these TSS areas for safety in high traffic areas. Before the leg, race management decided that teams needed to either respect the correct flow of traffic in the lanes or not enter the zone at all.

Dongfeng, Mapfre, and SCA entered the zone.

We watched as their courses on the nav computer sailed deeper and deeper into the red colored box against the traffic flow. Their routes didn’t just cut the corner on a piece of open water with little significance – no, they were the equivalent of riding a bike across an eight-lane highway and then turning left into oncoming traffic.

They had raced several miles down the course while we had to perform several tacks to get around the zone. Ian, SiFi, and the rest of the guys – still buzzing on deck from the magnificent send-off in Newport – were furious at the loss.

The day has now turned to a familiar darkness and below deck you can hear the light drips of water on deck from the dense fog bank we’re sailing through. The deck is faintly glowing through a dull haze lit by the red instrument lights.

Chuny somehow managed to smuggle a half dozen bags of potato chips onboard before we left and just broke a bag open. Sharing it with all the guys gathered around the nav station, there’s a faint crunching sound as every eye is fixed on the gap that’s growing between Dongfeng and ourselves.

Will there be a penalty? We don’t know. All we can do now is chase them down as Lisbon grows nearer on the horizon.

interesting that ADOR cannot protest the other boats. This reads like Ian Walker calling foul and seeing if it sticks. Will we here anything before the finish in Lisbon or will we have to wait for the IJ? I guess the next step is for Volvo to protest the three boats?

Right, but no matter. ADOR won't need to protest: they can get their sponsor, Volvo's Race Partner AbuDhabi, and Ian Walker's Star partner Mark Cavell in Race Control to make sure that ADOR benefits.

The IJ will be under the gun again. Offending participants are SCA, MAPF and SF -- three of the IJ's favourite teams :)

Oh, and doesn't this deserve its own thread before this thread gets buried under pages of long pedantic posts?

Anyone notice the red restriction zones removed from tracker now to make review impossible.

And Ian Walker's "From the Boats" blog on it was taken off VOR website this morning.

Then I made a comment on Facebook VOR page......and that was removed.

Pass the hand sanitizer please........

One night underway and Brunel position doesn't look too good.

From the In port race there is a photo taken of Mapfre running aground.

I am still a classic look fan. Can anyone tell me what the nice cabin cruiser in the front is is?

post-17796-0-66901600-1431955493_thumb.png

Morris 42? Old Hinckley? Sparkmann and Stephens?

Anyone notice the red restriction zones removed from tracker now to make review impossible.

And Ian Walker's "From the Boats" blog on it was taken off VOR website this morning.

Ah, I thought the Watch Log had been edited since I first read it a few hours ago. Wayback machine didn't have a snapshot for the time. Interesting that your comment was removed.

The exclusion zones are still on the tracker.app, off the dashboard, but changed to show no infringement on the VOR site VE tracker,

Nice comment about sanitizer.

It was just a desperation attempt by Ian "The Bitch" Walker to gain an Advantage. He knows DFRT is faster than ADOR so he's using every trick in the playbook.

Huh? If they went the wrong way up a TSS lane that have both broken the RRS and the law.

Not sure about the states, but here racing boats can, and have, been convicted by the courts for this.

Interesting to note that according to volo, in the Ambrose to Nantucket lane, both Mapf and DF appear to have done the same thing.

It is just plain odd, at least on the surface. The leg instructions placed restrictions over the separation zones and inbound lanes of two TSS zones. But in both cases left the outbound free. You would have to ask why? But there is no doubt that they identified "some" zones.

This is clearly done with forethought and intent. It would be hard to see how the RC could protest under these circumstances.

The boats were not using an inshore zone, or using the TSS lanes, so they are left with "so far as practicable avoid crossing". But the letter of rule 10 allows crossing at right angles, so a breach of the rules is perhaps even harder to pursue.

It would make sense to leave the "outbound" lane free for them to use for the purposes of opening up the gap between them if the teams were forced to head directly south out of Newport. That would enable teams to use the same exit that a couple of the boats used upon entering Newport (Alvi and I think SCA both went between the TSS zones entering the western one with the flow of traffic). Sailing against the flow is against the rules and, while they may not have crossed into the exclusion zone as defined in the SIs, the Q&A posted in October is quite clear on what will happen.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m27956_rm-tss-qa.pdf

The editing of blogs and watch logs that have been posted makes me quite worried that VOR may just try to sweep this under the rug. Boats clearly sailed against the flow.

I am still a classic look fan. Can anyone tell me what the nice cabin cruiser in the front is is?

mapfre-crash-newport-ri-volvo.png

Cape Dory?

I saw the tracks inside the TSS NE mark for 3 boats,

I see the "adjusted" TSS marks on the tracker,

I read the now the edited report from the boats!

WTF??? VOR?? You're going to have to have a bigger rug to sweep this under!

A conspiracy? By those in charge? Shocked, shocked I say...Smart move to follow DFRT, who will rule against the boy wonders and if you don;t find the vunderkin wrong, then so too go free their compatriots.

Meanwhile, ADOR has hauled back into 2nd, just @2 miles behind so Ian must have gotten inspired to drive hard (though now he loses speed again). And we thought the sailing was drama.

Cape Dory?

Might be; except for the front cabin window.

post-17796-0-49095200-1431959592_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-75209700-1431959622_thumb.png

Tracker (IOS app) updated the TSS too. Managed to get before and after screenies.

post-63767-0-64287800-1431959597_thumb.pngpost-63767-0-81111500-1431959626_thumb.png

:lol:

The wonders of the Internet.

Makes me wonder if scraping the VOR site every half an hour or so is too much work to setup... :ph34r: Naw, can't be bothered.

A conspiracy? By those in charge? Shocked, shocked I say...Smart move to follow DFRT, who will rule against the boy wonders and if you don;t find the vunderkin wrong, then so too go free their compatriots.

Meanwhile, ADOR has hauled back into 2nd, just @2 miles behind so Ian must have gotten inspired to drive hard (though now he loses speed again). And we thought the sailing was drama.

in either case - this is not a way to deal with the issue!

I really don't give a shit about a few miles or a few extra jibes - it is a long leg and everyone will have a chance to mess up.

I do give a shit if VOR thinks it can get away with stuff like this - this is kindergarten level response - they lost a lot of cred on this one!

With ADOR doing almost a 1 kt faster, perhaps Ian wants to personally tell Charles where to go....next time they come to an exclusion zone. MAPF and SCA are not helping DFRT by keeping ADOR back two spots so unless DFRT gets a leg on, ADOR is going to be knocking on the stern in roughly 3 hours. Can't wait for the 12:00 sched.

Name Date/Time Ranking DTL (nm) Speed (kts) Heading (°) DTF (nm) TWS (kts) TWD (°) Dongfeng Race Team 2015-05-18 12:30:00 1 0 14.9 105 2714.58 17 20 Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing 2015-05-18 12:30:30 2 2.11 15.8 114 2716.69 16.6 33 MAPFRE 2015-05-18 12:30:00 3 3.17 14.8 116 2717.75 18.4 21 Team SCA 2015-05-18 12:30:00 4 4.96 14.1 109 2719.54 15.7 31 Team Brunel 2015-05-18 12:30:00 5 5.41 13.9 105 2719.99 16.2 27 Team Alvimedica 2015-05-18 12:30:00 6 5.9 13.8 117 2720.49 14.9 29 Team Vestas Wind 2015-05-17 18:00:00 7 DID NOT START

It was just a desperation attempt by Ian "The Bitch" Walker to gain an Advantage. He knows DFRT is faster than ADOR so he's using every trick in the playbook.

Huh? If they went the wrong way up a TSS lane that have both broken the RRS and the law.

Not sure about the states, but here racing boats can, and have, been convicted by the courts for this.

Interesting to note that according to volo, in the Ambrose to Nantucket lane, both Mapf and DF appear to have done the same thing.

Yep, but this time not ignoring the TSS lane, only cutting the edge for DFRT with 0.25 nm. Naughty Charles again.

On this one you cannot tell, due to the frequency of position reports.

^ agreed, full disclosure is the proper way.

(edit: re the updated tracks and deleted comments)

Cape Dory?

Might be; except for the front cabin window.

attachicon.gifCape Dory 2.jpg

attachicon.gifmapfre-crash-newport-ri-volvo.png

Strongly doubt it's a Cape Dory. The CDs mostly have very straight sheer lines.

Francis, are you going by Amendment 4? http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m39629_leg-7-addendum-amendment-4-150516.pdf

Just wondering if there is a virtual/ reality updating problem. I haven't checked to see if the lat/longs of the various "Marks" agree with the variance in the tracker displays. Wouldn't be the first time the virtual display of "Marks" (and land) are at odds with reality.

In any case, the Cape Dory question is much more interesting. :)

Renny's been doing fine work keeping that thread updated, but you're right. Another race within a race. Cool to think of TVW trialling their crew work against the incoming fleet into Lisbon :)

That kind of stuff bugs me. A lot. At a certain point I stop wanting to follow the shenanigans and just write off the people trying to manage my access to information as both (1) possessed of an agenda that does not have my being accurately informed as a key value, and (2) inept about it.

Would much prefer that both (1) and (2) be the other way around. I'll give them a pass on (2) if I think they're doing their best. But (1) is harder to forgive.

"The Race Committee has information that some of the boats on Leg 7 may have entered one of the exclusion zones for Leg 7 and also may have infringed COLREG Rule 10. The Race Committee will continue its investigations and if it gathers sufficient proof of a rule infringement the boat(s) that have infringed a rule will be protested."

Don't be tiresome. If the same happened to you I am sure you'd be pretty peeved as well.

Cheoy Lee Offshore. Probably a 41 given the mizzen mast.

--Kevin

"The Race Committee has information that some of the boats on Leg 7 may have entered one of the exclusion zones for Leg 7 and also may have infringed COLREG Rule 10. The Race Committee will continue its investigations and if it gathers sufficient proof of a rule infringement the boat(s) that have infringed a rule will be protested."

Anyone have a firm idea of which boats they're talking about? Mapfre looks pretty blatant. The other 2 or 3 depend on how accurate the tracker really is. For example, the tracker seems to show SCA inside it, but it also looks like they made a big turn to go around a corner. Like maybe they observed the zone and the zone is just off a bit in the tracker representation.

Anyone have a firm idea of which boats they're talking about? Mapfre looks pretty blatant. The other 2 or 3 depend on how accurate the tracker really is. For example, the tracker seems to show SCA inside it, but it also looks like they made a big turn to go around a corner. Like maybe they observed the zone and the zone is just off a bit in the tracker representation.

in from the boats section, abu's obr says that they saw dong, mapfre and sca in the exclusion zone...

3 boats went through the Buzzards Bay TSS lane outbound, I marked that lane partially in red so you can see it clearly. The inbound lane and separation zone were off limits. MAPFRE's course is parallel to SCA more to the west.

Assuming that the tracks are accurate, and the underlying cartography is up-to-date, I'd have no issues with at least two boats there being DSQ, and hauled over the coals by the courts.

It's crap like this that gives yachties a bad name on ships' bridges.

Firm? Good luck, based on the tracker. SCA was in first at that time, then DF, followed by MAPF. DF went furthest south east, but their track is the faintest in the screenie above #69 , so doubt MAPF was "the most blatant".

Yes cheoy lee

"Pentagon report, released on May 8, said that Beijing’s most powerful weapon now bore MIRV warheads. The intercontinental ballistic missile is known as the DF-5 (for Dongfeng or East Wind)"

Nytimes

Chinese lesson for today: dong bu dong?

Firm? Good luck, based on the tracker. SCA was in first at that time, then DF, followed by MAPF. DF went furthest south east, but their track is the faintest in the screenie above #69 , so doubt MAPF was "the most blatant".

In the image from post 69, isn't Mapfre the white line that goes across the SW corner?

Shouldn't be too hard for VOR to prove one way or the other. Don't they get 5 (or is it 10?) second updates?

By way of precedence:

Safran getting about £10k in fines and £4k in costs back in 2012:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/303239/mca_prosecutions_2012.pdf

(page 8)

And in the Vendee a protest, again in 2012:

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/newswire/4031/seven-boats-given-penalty.html

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/news/articles/maritime-traffic-safety-and-penalties

Finally, but most interestingly, here's the VOR themselves:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/assets/content_v2/media/files/m27956_rm-tss-qa.pdf

See final bullet point of Q1.

In the image from post 69, isn't Mapfre the white line that goes across the SW corner?

The brightest white line furthest south is the layline to Lisbon, if that's the one you mean.

Otherwise, DF and MAPF lines are together higher up

The brightest white line furthest south is the layline to Lisbon, if that's the one you mean.

Otherwise, DF and MAPF lines are together higher up

Oh! Ok. I stand corrected. I was thinking that would have been a pretty ugly mistake by Mapfre.

The girls got protested by the RC for something similar leaving Cape Town in the 2001 race. There was some discussion at the time that the shipping channels weren't very well documented, but the RC pointed out they had a legal obligation to protest where they were aware of an infringement else it opened another set of issues ...

Shouldn't be too hard for VOR to prove one way or the other. Don't they get 5 (or is it 10?) second updates?

By way of precedence:

Safran getting about £10k in fines and £4k in costs back in 2012:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/303239/mca_prosecutions_2012.pdf

(page 8)

And in the Vendee a protest, again in 2012:

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/newswire/4031/seven-boats-given-penalty.html

Interesting discussion here:

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/news/articles/maritime-traffic-safety-and-penalties

Finally, but most interestingly, here's the VOR themselves:

See final bullet point of Q1.

Antoine Koch (Sopra 8) was fined £15,000 +£2.7k

Dalts (Club Med) was fined £12k+3k back in 2000

A private yacht was fined £20k

Getting Dover TSS wrong is frowned upon.

If just one boat had gone through I would think they had screwed up, but when half the fleet goes through it suggests some ambiguity in the rules.

Or covered without checking the chart.

Wouldn't be the first time someone's gone the wrong way and then been followed by half the fleet...