yeah..... Dave Witt(less)  and Nicho..... obviously you are not from around here...   There would be blood if they ever got on the same boat ... and getting on the same boat will not happen.

Nicho is a good fit for Burling, as Burling would hem for the import stuff anyway....

Not sure if this was posted here yet. From the Volvo site today: The World According to David Witt:

On the introduction of a mixed crew rule…

I’ve made my decision – we’re going with seven guys. I just don’t think the rule is a good fit, and I don’t think the dynamic will work. It’s hard enough to win the race, the last thing we need is to be part of a social experiment. Teams that win this race are rock solid from the start – and that’s what we’re planning to be. I’m not saying it won’t work, but I think that it will take a very special group of people to make it work well on board. I’m not willing to take that risk.

[me again]

There's a side of me that would love to see him come to regret that choice. But I admit there's also a side that loves that such an attitude will be represented in the race. Let the opinions fly!

One chick on heat, a couple of peacocks and thats your race over right there

40 minutes ago, jbc said:

Not sure if this was posted here yet. From the Volvo site today: The World According to David Witt:

I’ve made my decision – we’re going with seven guys. I just don’t think the rule is a good fit, and I don’t think the dynamic will work. It’s hard enough to win the race, the last thing we need is to be part of a social experiment. Teams that win this race are rock solid from the start – and that’s what we’re planning to be. I’m not saying it won’t work, but I think that it will take a very special group of people to make it work well on board. I’m not willing to take that risk.

[me again]

There's a side of me that would love to see him come to regret that choice. But I admit there's also a side that loves that such an attitude will be represented in the race. Let the opinions fly!

Well it's why the rule is an optional carrot. That being said since he's admitting he's getting old and also seems to be minimizing gymwork, hope he keeps it together. 

2 hours ago, DtM said:

There will be a boat 8,count on it.

Counting on it cap'n. There was another option not yet included 7w+1/2m, not likely but perhaps easier than 11w now. Probably another 7m+1/2w.

2 hours ago, xsailmakerSYD said:

yeah..... Dave Witt(less)  and Nicho..... obviously you are not from around here...   There would be blood if they ever got on the same boat .

I used to be a long time ago before a certain PM took away my citizenship!

I would note that David Witt is not so much dismissing the mixed crew format, as being adamant that he is not going to add any more people to his existing team. I suspect that if his existing group included women they would be part of his VOR crew. But he isn't interested in sailing with random mercenaries, of either sex. Especially not rock-star professionals.

It is getting late to add an 8'th boat. I suspect that if we do get boat 8 it will be TNZ, simply because they about the only group that could credibly do so, and have a good reason for announcing so late. OTOH, I don't actually think this round has been all that high on their radar, so it seems a slim bet. Dunno. How many kiwi veterans are currently without a ride? Rather a few should be thinking about hanging up their foul weather gear for good, but that hasn't stopped them before.

2 hours ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

8th boat confirmed. Another charity case...

You can't just leave us hanging like that....

Since we are playing  WHAT'S MY LINE until there is an announcement... 

Could you say that this is another 50/50 team?

4 hours ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

8th boat confirmed. Another charity case...

Well VOR commissioned a new hull, and spent all the money on its own boatyard crew to fit it out from scratch. Be a shame to just let it sit in the shed because no full price paying sponsor is interested.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:40 PM, staysail said:

Well, the VOR65's a dead parrot and the VOR60 is a next generation dead parrot, so you must forgive us all for dreaming.

....wow,,, Bekking's back for a late late entry on another round ,,,, all power to him, but..........

.........talk about dead parrots,        indeed.   :mellow:

1 hour ago, couchsurfer said:

....wow,,, Bekking's back for a late late entry on another round ,,,, all power to him, but..........

.........talk about dead parrots,        indeed.   :mellow:

My goodness, you still exist?  Now I know there is an 8th boat, because we woke the VOR Kraken, devourer of avatars young or old.  Seems like that band is getting back together after all

3 hours ago, Potter said:

I assume this will help the designers of the new 60 decide if they are to innovate or not.

Hybrid or electric only for Volvo

Just heard that this morning and thought the same thing.  All electric by 2019 would really be a boost to the R&D for doing so on a sailboat.  This will be interesting.

18 hours ago, jbc said:

[me again]

I will cheer for them but will also love to see him regret the choice. Fucking stupid. He's basically saying that if a team have female members, the men can't behave and will forget about the racing. Or that women can't be a part of a team that wants to race. Either way it's just stupid.

Thad adding women is a risk is a huge insult to all the teams in the world who are mixed. Maybe he's never seen any.

(also, I suspect that his girlfriend said "you can go, but there will be no women on your team", but thats the childish part of me)

I thought this lot were all your mates !!

I think you will find this is pretty much Witt all over. 

Having said that I have been told by someone I have a great deal of time for that he is a very good helmsman. 

Will the short crew work? I doubt it and his reasoning is back with the dinosaurs.

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I will cheer for them but will also love to see him regret the choice. Fucking stupid. He's basically saying that if a team have female members, the men can't behave and will forget about the racing. Or that women can't be a part of a team that wants to race. Either way it's just stupid.

Thad adding women is a risk is a huge insult to all the teams in the world who are mixed. Maybe he's never seen any.

(also, I suspect that his girlfriend said "you can go, but there will be no women on your team", but thats the childish part of me)

My take on the all male crew was that their late entry meant the crew had already been decided and they have sailed together before and know each other's strengths and weaknesses.

8 hours ago, vtsail said:

Anyone know which teams for this edition got which boat from the last race?

Does it really matter? It's only some non-professionals, like I was for most of my sailing career, that believe that boats have personalities and that they therefore care about how they are equipped, the way they look (graphics etc.), who sails on them, and how well the crew does that. OD takes away some of those traits but only some. Just call me old fashioned (no puns or graphic pictures please Jack).

On 7/5/2017 at 6:50 AM, jbc said:

[me again]

In other words:

I talked with the lads, and we agree that we don't trust ourselves to be professionals. So we decided not to take any of those wimmen folk, and stay safely put in the 1950s.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:05 AM, jbc said:

[me again]

Reaffirming why they call him FuckWitt. His neanderthal views on the value of women in ocean racing are well known here. Labelling women on VOR yachts as 'a social experiment' is crass and I look forward to seeing him beaten by them soon. Some of the women in offshore sailing could bench-press that prick and not even raise a sweat.

Lets see if his program actually gets off the ground once the heat comes on about his Sugardaddy's AVEO aged care facilities scandals here in Aus.

9 hours ago, DtM said:

I thought this lot were all your mates !!

I think you will find this is pretty much Witt all over. 

Having said that I have been told by someone I have a great deal of time for that he is a very good helmsman. 

Will the short crew work? I doubt it and his reasoning is back with the dinosaurs.

I'm sure it will work, but they won't win. They will be much more tired than other teams of course. The only sure thing is that they will be very entertaining....

Electric.
Yeah, that should be that even if Cars has to hit Penta with a clue by 4. (Penta is not part of Cars.)
48V is not very much. I'm willing to bet that it is very similar to the already seen integrated generator systems. The kind that is positioned at the flywheel. (Makes me wonder if they also go through with the decade old idea of moving all kinds of high power systems off 12V to 48V in oder to reduce weight.)

In other news a certain other sailor, the other famous Vesta sponsored vessel, has a interesting(tm) ideas for a record breaking transatlantic sailboat. Looks like he'll take the regenerative energy to an utterly new level. Why sail fast in a straight line? Paul Larson wants the Blue Ribbon... More in the Sailrocket thread if I can find it.

Roughly 3 months till that start of Leg 1 and I see 7 teams on the VOR site.  Is it to early to start handicapping the field?  I'll give it a go based soley on what I remember of those returning and what I know of the new teams:

1. The Donger

2. Brunel

3. Mapfre

4. Vestas

5. Akzo

6. Scallyway

7. Clean Seas

WetHog  :ph34r:

On 05/07/2017 at 8:37 PM, NORBowGirl said:

It'll be interesting to see there's a U turn on this decision half way round?

52 minutes ago, mad said:

Nah, that would mean to admit being wrong....I find that hard to imagine. But they might have to send worn out men back on land and get fresh ones, many times....

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Nah, that would mean to admit being wrong....I find that hard to imagine. But they might have to send worn out men back on land and get fresh ones, many times....

Unless they realise they're suddenly short of man power (flame suit on):lol: and have to up their game 

2 hours ago, WetHog said:

Roughly 3 months till that start of Leg 1 and I see 7 teams on the VOR site.  Is it to early to start handicapping the field?  I'll give it a go based soley on what I remember of those returning and what I know of the new teams:

1. The Donger

2. Brunel

3. Mapfre

4. Vestas

5. Akzo

6. Scallyway

7. Clean Seas

Someone hinted that 8 was taken, but nothing since.  Cannot stand teasers or liars.

1. Brunel

2. Mapfre

3. The Donger

4. Vestas

5. Akzo

7. Clean Seas

6. Scallyway

8.  (The Dark Horse)

I think Bowie is hungry and wants a win.  He learned from DF and will apply it to his boat.  Actually, I think many of the boats will adjust to DF's approach and positions may be even tighter on legs.  It was a tough call between Vestas and DF.  Charlie had good moments last race and given the same boats, I think he'll be better able to apply his skills for some strong legs.

I moved Dee up, because she has two things going for her..  Previous VO65 and VOR experience and a larger, younger crew.  On the long legs (not expecting much for leg 1) she will be able to keep her crew better rested, less tired.  Less tired means less mistakes.  Unless she's doing this just for the visuals, there are going to be sailors on her boat that will want to topple some icons for bragging rights.

If NZ jumped in with the 8th boat, all best are off, because they have the talent to race at the top.  I think it would be the best if NZ jumped in and it would fit Dalton's comments about tieing the overall pro racing together.

On 7/5/2017 at 10:44 AM, bucc5062 said:

My goodness, you still exist?  Now I know there is an 8th boat, because we woke the VOR Kraken, devourer of avatars young or old.  Seems like that band is getting back together after all

....fack,, yer making me sound like the 2nd coming.... I wish.  ...in more ways than one! :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, mad said:

...would they be able to change crew -format- as such,,, and what's the amount of crewchange that can be made??  

3 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

On 7/5/2017 at 10:56 PM, Last Post said:

Reaffirming why they call him FuckWitt. His neanderthal views on the value of women in ocean racing are well known here. Labelling women on VOR yachts as 'a social experiment' is crass and I look forward to seeing him beaten by them soon. Some of the women in offshore sailing could bench-press that prick and not even raise a sweat.

Lets see if his program actually gets off the ground once the heat comes on about his Sugardaddy's AVEO aged care facilities scandals here in Aus.

....too funny,,, 'fuckWitt' fersure,,, what a classic noggin of ancient attitude.   The only 'social experiment' going on will be to watch that mindset in operation under the pressurecookermicroscope of what the VOR is.

Do we get the delight of being able to randomly view from multiple webcams on each boat at will,,, saving favorite clips to share here?   :lol:   ........or at least non-indentured videojockies on each boat??

I think Witt said it was going to be the same 7 all the way around the marble and they would never have a break from the race even when they arrive at each stopover so they get the full feel of the race.  Hmmmmm

My top 4 are interchangeable based on their experience, for the most part, with the boats from the last race.  Actually, I was going to put Bouwe and his Boys #1 because I feel they are the favorites but listing them 2nd just feels right. ;)  Mapfre 3rd because that team back to Moviestar has 3rd place, or worse, luck.  Vestas 4th because they are my personal favoriates and I don't want to jinx them.  

NZ team is rumored for this mythical 8th boat?  That would certainly change my order if true.

5 hours ago, WetHog said:

. . .NZ team is rumored for this mythical 8th boat?  That would certainly change my order if true.

....Time for Team Anarchy to mannn (and girl) UP!!!B)

12 hours ago, mad said:

I cant see that ever changing for Scalywog, Tell me what woman would ever want to sail with a bloke with his publicly stated attitude to women in sailing?

no matter what we think about Witt's decision, it is actually great for us armchair sailors to have a fleet using all crew options. And maybe, who knows, the approx 200kg of the two additional crew make up for the tiredness of being just 7. umm?

It is also refreshing to have a boat without any sponsor commitments. Fully focussed on the racing (and partying at the stopovers?). I wonder anyhow what it is in for the owner of Scallywag? 

31 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

no matter what we think about Witt's decision, it is actually great for us armchair sailors to have a fleet using all crew options. And maybe, who knows, the approx 200kg of the two additional crew make up for the tiredness of being just 7. umm?

It is also refreshing to have a boat without any sponsor commitments. Fully focussed on the racing (and partying at the stopovers?). I wonder anyhow what it is in for the owner of Scallywag? 

Agree.  And what a fun thing to do with all your money.....have your own boat in the VOR :)

6 hours ago, Last Post said:

I cant see that ever changing for Scalywog, Tell me what woman would ever want to sail with a bloke with his publicly stated attitude to women in sailing?

Oh, I'm sure many would love to do it!  Just to prove him wrong ;)

21 hours ago, couchsurfer said:

....fack,, yer making me sound like the 2nd coming.... I wish.  ...in more ways than one! :rolleyes:

...would they be able to change crew -format- as such,,, and what's the amount of crewchange that can be made??  

....too funny,,, 'fuckWitt' fersure,,, what a classic noggin of ancient attitude.   The only 'social experiment' going on will be to watch that mindset in operation under the pressurecookermicroscope of what the VOR is.

Do we get the delight of being able to randomly view from multiple webcams on each boat at will,,, saving favorite clips to share here?   :lol:   ........or at least non-indentured videojockies on each boat??

Good point, do they have to stay with the same amount of crew all the way round, or can they chop and change as needed?

38 minutes ago, mad said:

Good point, do they have to stay with the same amount of crew all the way round, or can they chop and change as needed?

....I imagine there's some changes allowed,,, the 'where's Wouter'' moment,,,,, and Martinez's...''A want mah mommah'....Come to mind:mellow:

I believe they can chop and change. Both as to individuals and the mix number.

Witt has said they will have the same 7 all the way round.

Nothing official on the last boat so far.

There is a minimum crew of 6 so boats can chop and change within their declared crew configuration. That section of the rules is getting changed by amendments and is getting quite complicated. 
7+2 should be the most popular as they can change to 7+1 or 7+0 as needed. Fun with rules: You can explicitly do a leg with 7, in port with 7+1, leg with 7. - But only if the 7 are male, not the other way around. Guess there wont be any 7 female + 2 male crews this round. ;)

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

Nothing official on the last boat so far.

There is a minimum crew of 6 so boats can chop and change within their declared crew configuration. That section of the rules is getting changed by amendments and is getting quite complicated. 
7+2 should be the most popular as they can change to 7+1 or 7+0 as needed. Fun with rules: You can explicitly do a leg with 7, in port with 7+1, leg with 7. - But only if the 7 are male, not the other way around. Guess there wont be any 7 female + 2 male crews this round. ;)

Does that mean the graphic below from http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/the-race/77_Crew-rules.html is no longer accurate? Or just that there are specifics (on things like leg-to-leg changes) that the graphic doesn't cover? Does one have to read the amendments to be up to speed on the latest, or are the current rules all reflected at the above URL?

vor_crew_rules.jpg.00012c988e7b617b7f08042713d0347e.jpg

That is still true.

Changes are in the additional rules how you can change crew between legs and in ports.  Overall still the same rules as last round. At least it looked that way a Caipirinha or so ago.
NOR 9.7 says that you have to arrive with the leg or go out with the next leg to do the in port race. As of change 5 it also says:

A boat that sailed the previous Leg with an all male crew of seven and will sail the next Leg with all male crew of seven, will be also be permitted to carry one additional female crew on the In-Port race.

which is a goof and should have been written as gender neutral. Then rule 9.7 continues: 

For the Newport In-Port race only, the designated Navigator for the Newport to Cardiff Leg may be replaced by any Crew Member, even if that Crew Member does not meet the requirements of NOR 9.7.

Then there is some stuff about substitutions which  are not allowed but can be granted. 
The Newport change is very specific.  I wonder who that rule was written for. ;)

On 05/07/2017 at 3:05 AM, jbc said:

[me again]

Just been reading Emma Westmacott and Tracy Edwards and friends (chatting on facebook) about this guy, and Mark T and the Volvo. Fun reading!

16 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

@ couch,

Welcome back mate :) 106 Days before VOR 2017/18 Start.

jeez, thanks,, surprised to have been missed,, but perhaps I'm assuming too much!:lol:

I'd prefer to think I've progressed from such pedantic obsessions as following the VO here,, but here I am,,, ummm,, 105 to go!

Time we'll wasted,, as they say. :mellow:

here some of their comments. This next VOR is looking promising. One Design takes away most of the intrigue, but the new crew setup is going to be fun to watch and comment.

---commenting on the VOR interview with Witt----
Emma Westmacott Mark Turner I can't believe you blokes published this?!! WTF comes to mind!!! You should be ashamed of yourselves. Wonder what the Magenta Project Girls think - or even Tracy Edwards - this is right up your street Tracy Edwards??!!!!
 · Reply · 12 hrs · Edited
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards Wow! I didn't realise arseholes like this still exist. What an embaressment to the Volvo! Will be sure to post the fact that in 2002 the MIXED team on Maiden II broke the 24 hr record with 694 miles. I believe it stood for quite some time. This idiot wouldn't have stood a chance back then.
---
Tracy Edwards Hard to find the words to describe what a neandethal this idiot is. Volvo must be so proud.
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Remove
Emma Westmacott
Emma Westmacott Maybe some of u Antipodeans want to have a chat with your mate .... Alby Pratt  Greg Homann Richard Mason or Neal Mcdonald you are one of Witty's heros ..... seriously even u would not be so bold!!! Besides your wife would string u up!!!
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards I think it is telling that Lawrie Smith, Sir Peter Blake and Skip Novak, all Legends of the WRTWR were all supportive of Maiden right from the beginning. I think they would be appalled by language like this as I am sure Neal would be. Talk about going back to the dark ages.
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs · Edited
Remove
Greg Homann
Greg Homann What has he said or or done this time?
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards If you want a laugh read the article - he is saying that mixed teams are a 'social experiment' - I have pointed out that we did that, rather successfully, in 2002!
 · Reply · 
 · 11 hrs
Remove
Emma Westmacott
Emma Westmacott Greg Homann He also says fitness is not important - it is all about mind strength!! He is such a pillock!

16 hours ago, Chasm said:

Nothing official on the last boat so far.....

...Last minute negotiations are going well so far.......FullSail is in as a beer sponsor,,, we've got Cheetos on for official food supplier,,, and it looks like Lay-z-boy is in for a nice set of deck chairs,,, Ohh so important!!!!

Just waiting for a response from whutzhisface at VO, before we make it official!:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

here some of their comments. This next VOR is looking promising. One Design takes away most of the intrigue, but the new crew setup is going to be fun to watch and comment.

---commenting on the VOR interview with Witt----
Emma Westmacott Mark Turner I can't believe you blokes published this?!! WTF comes to mind!!! You should be ashamed of yourselves. Wonder what the Magenta Project Girls think - or even Tracy Edwards - this is right up your street Tracy Edwards??!!!!
 · Reply · 12 hrs · Edited
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards Wow! I didn't realise arseholes like this still exist. What an embaressment to the Volvo! Will be sure to post the fact that in 2002 the MIXED team on Maiden II broke the 24 hr record with 694 miles. I believe it stood for quite some time. This idiot wouldn't have stood a chance back then.
---
Tracy Edwards Hard to find the words to describe what a neandethal this idiot is. Volvo must be so proud.
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Remove
Emma Westmacott
Emma Westmacott Maybe some of u Antipodeans want to have a chat with your mate .... Alby Pratt  Greg Homann Richard Mason or Neal Mcdonald you are one of Witty's heros ..... seriously even u would not be so bold!!! Besides your wife would string u up!!!
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards I think it is telling that Lawrie Smith, Sir Peter Blake and Skip Novak, all Legends of the WRTWR were all supportive of Maiden right from the beginning. I think they would be appalled by language like this as I am sure Neal would be. Talk about going back to the dark ages.
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs · Edited
Remove
Greg Homann
Greg Homann What has he said or or done this time?
 · Reply · 
 · 12 hrs
Tracy Edwards
Tracy Edwards If you want a laugh read the article - he is saying that mixed teams are a 'social experiment' - I have pointed out that we did that, rather successfully, in 2002!
 · Reply · 
 · 11 hrs
Remove
Emma Westmacott
Emma Westmacott Greg Homann He also says fitness is not important - it is all about mind strength!! He is such a pillock!

Funny, he's made quite a splash at least...Likely to break some lines in the Sunday Times!

...tWitt certainly has the pressure on,, there's a number of those 'social experments' that'd likely be happy to take him on in a dark alley of a stopover,, let alone on the course! :o

1 hour ago, staysail said:

Just been reading Emma Westmacott and Tracy Edwards and friends (chatting on facebook) about this guy, and Mark T and the Volvo. Fun reading!

Any links?

That should have been this FB video

Or perhaps the posting on the Scallywag FB page that linked to it. Comments have been exorcised since then. (Looks like that pissed off female PR pros too. Nice move, I guess the official Heel for this VOR edition has been selected.:ph34r:)

1 hour ago, mad said:

Any links?

I'm not clever enough to know how to do that. Maybe I'm not the only one here to have read the conversations?

1 hour ago, mad said:

Any links?

30 minutes ago, staysail said:

I'm not clever enough to know how to do that. Maybe I'm not the only one here to have read the conversations?

com'on, guys. It is not so difficult. Just search for Emma Westmacott on Facebook. Her page is public: https://www.facebook.com/emma.westmacott.7

anyhow, their main comments about Witt are already posted in a previous post.

4 hours ago, Chasm said:

That should have been this FB video

Or perhaps the posting on the Scallywag FB page that linked to it. Comments have been exorcised since then. (Looks like that pissed off female PR pros too. Nice move, I guess the official Heel for this VOR edition has been selected.:ph34r:)

Wow that boat finish looks as antiquated and from another decade as Witt. I've never rooted against a team before, guess there is a first for everything. Damn shame it had to be sponsored from Hong Kong.

On 08/07/2017 at 10:07 AM, duncan (the other one) said:

I'm waiting with popcorn and beer for Mr 'Witt to pull one of his famous start-line maneouvres.

Charles from DongFeng: "Eh Witt, where do you want ze fucking hole?"

At least with only 7 guys on board Scallywagg the sound of their assholes snapping shut won't be deafening.

The Scallywag 100 is still going through its refit, is it going to be sailing at all during the VOR with a different skip? Or is that whole project being put on hold?

23 hours ago, Miffy said:

23 hours ago, Miffy said:

...I've never rooted against a team before, guess there is a first for everything. Damn shame it had to be sponsored from Hong Kong.

..No need to wince about it laddy, weve now got the 'Good ole Boys' team to 'cheer' for,, should add nicely to the entertainment package better than anything Martinez ever did, or even 'dontchaknowhoIam' Ainslie could ever dream of. The race would not be nearly as good if all boats had bunked-in with the girls!:rolleyes:

...And anyone in HK should be darn pleased with such an opportunity...Play pan face with farkWitt, and you should get a nice tour and some candid answers to whatever life questions are burning your mind when you interview him. :lol:

Gosh its gone quiet here. Not exactly long to go.

It occurs to me that Mr Witt is probably exactly correct when he talks about a "social experiment." After all, it isn't every day that you place seven knuckle dragging misogynist Neanderthals* in a boat with a couple of talented professional women sailors. Sort of sad that they are essentially the team from Oz.  I wonder what it will be like being the media crew on their boat.

We really need a story about the 8'th boat, if there is to be one, pretty soon.  If Peter Burling wants a go, this is possibly his best chance for a while, as he may be rather occupied to consider it in two years time. Then again, it isn't as if he is exactly short on remaining career time.

*OK, that is probably unfair to the other six members of the team, at least until proven otherwise.

Witt has named one 21 year old as part of the crew but the other 5 remain a mystery at this stage.  Not sure why.  In a video on SailWorld he certainly pushes that they are all very very experienced !!

Can someone summarize for me how David Witt achieved his current level of notoriety? I don't really know anything about him other than what's been discussed here so far.

On 06/07/2017 at 0:31 AM, Potter said:

I assume this will help the designers of the new 60 decide if they are to innovate or not.

Hybrid or electric only for Volvo

On 06/07/2017 at 3:46 AM, bucc5062 said:

Just heard that this morning and thought the same thing.  All electric by 2019 would really be a boost to the R&D for doing so on a sailboat.  This will be interesting.

Often renewable energy advocates in their enthusiasm can conjure up their own train smash. Great Britain has recently had a lightbulb moment talking of mandating that all new cars be EV's from a date not too far off. Someone then decided it might be a good idea to do the maths.

Firstly commercial/trucks consume the majority of fossel fuels, not cars. So we may be waiting a while for the all electric Volvo truck line. Secondly the additional energy capacity required to charge these electric suckers using renewables meant the country's entire coastline plus some would be a sea of giant propellors. Seems it is on the back burner now until the time comes that cars can scoot off all by themselves to get charged at off peak load times.

Those advocating the 100% renewable VOR might have to wait until it is either a non-crewed race or humans can drink saltwater...mmmm or it goes less energy required multi :-)

Could be a few more icy chunks to avoid down south for the boys and girls when they get there   -- a 5000km^2 chunk of Larsen C just broke off.

Anyone know how long it takes for pieces of these things to start circulating in the upper 50's?

17 hours ago, jbc said:

Can someone summarize for me how David Witt achieved his current level of notoriety? I don't really know anything about him other than what's been discussed here so far.

Skiff sailer (18 footers)  gained notoriety by managing to helm Nokia to Hobart when the Volvo fleet used this as a leg...  Hard reaching running conditions and NOKIA was first Volvo Boat and set race record in 1999.  Sponged off the King of Tonga for a while sailing his yacht and has been involved with Lludde Ingvall with Yuuzoo / Nicorrette 

Surely the 8th Volvo Boat may involve the Manouch Moshayedi & Keith Kilpatrick  RIO 100 team :)   

Luckily for us, we have a very experienced crew who have all been with the boat since its christening, plus we have onboard  multiple Volvo veterans, Chris Nicholson, Justin Ferris, Bouwe Bekking, Will Oaxley, and our own ace craftsman and Magyver, Jeff Messano onboard who came up with a plan.

Obviously Bouwe has been 'claimed' ... but the rest..... sounds like a great 'crew training' opportunty running to Hawaii....  

I mentioned Nicho a few posts ago... watch this space    ;)

3 hours ago, xsailmakerSYD said:

Surely the 8th Volvo Boat may involve the Manouch Moshayedi & Keith Kilpatrick  RIO 100 team :)   

Luckily for us, we have a very experienced crew who have all been with the boat since its christening, plus we have onboard  multiple Volvo veterans, Chris Nicholson, Justin Ferris, Bouwe Bekking, Will Oaxley, and our own ace craftsman and Magyver, Jeff Messano onboard who came up with a plan.

Obviously Bouwe has been 'claimed' ... but the rest..... sounds like a great 'crew training' opportunty running to Hawaii....  

I mentioned Nicho a few posts ago... watch this space    ;)

Niet

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Firstly commercial/trucks consume the majority of fossel fuels, not cars.

Where'd you get this? I am pretty sure cars are 2-3 x commercial trucks.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Those advocating the 100% renewable VOR might have to wait until it is either a non-crewed race or humans can drink saltwater...mmmm or it goes less energy required multi :-)

Seems like your statistics are about as accurate as the rest of your post Jack!

Internal combustion engines have only been present on ships and boats of any kind in the last hundred years or so yet people have been crossing oceans in monohull and multihull boats and ships for thousands of years. Do you seriously think that in the 21st century humans have suddenly become so stupid that they can't work out how to race across the oceans in a sailing boat without having a diesel engine running almost everyday?

Sure we would all agree that a VO65 is not going to manage it. A suitable design is required, and the combination of best design and best sailors will win, and that is just one of many reasons why I would like to see the end of one-design for this race.

8 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

indeed..

oil-consumption-by-sector-usa-2004.jpg

Transport isn't even the biggest consumer of fossil fuels... it's 'stationary energy' a.k.a. power generation and industrial.

Electricity/heat, industrial and buildings is 57% of emissions according to this source. Transport is only 14%.

10 hours ago, staysail said:

Seems like your statistics are about as accurate as the rest of your post Jack!

Internal combustion engines have only been present on ships and boats of any kind in the last hundred years or so yet people have been crossing oceans in monohull and multihull boats and ships for thousands of years. 

I think you forgot they had a thing called tankage, electricity hadn't been invented  and anyway as soon as each form of stored energy came into being, it was immediately grabbed by the marine world, starting with coal. Renewable energy whether it be in a raceboat or anywhere, always comes with some form of penalty or trade-off. That's a fact you seem to forget.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think you forgot they had a thing called tankage, electricity hadn't been invented  and anyway as soon as each form of stored energy came into being, it was immediately grabbed by the marine world, starting with coal. Renewable energy whether it be in a raceboat or anywhere, always comes with some form of penalty or trade-off. That's a fact you seem to forget.

Could you use that in a better sentence for it makes no sense, even when I looked up the word.  

tankage

the capacity of a tank or tanks.
the act or process of storing liquid in a tank.
the fee charged for such storage.
the residue from tanks in which carcasses and other offal have beensteamed and the fat has been rendered, used as a fertilizer.

22 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Someone then decided it might be a good idea to do the maths.

It would be no bad idea for you to do some maths to see how just how easy it can be for a forward moving boat to generate way more electricity than needed to sustain the need for water for a crew, and with minimal drag. If you call it a "sailboat", don't you see that it is really cheating to rely totally both for drinking water and for powering essential boat systems, on a desel engine? If you allow yourself to power the keel mechanism with electro-hydraulics, then why not electric winches? autopilots?, where do you stop?
It is so simple to return the race to at least a semblance of purity (and encourage design and innovation) simply by prohibiting the use of fossil fuel completely.

8 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Could you use that in a better sentence for it makes no sense, even when I looked up the word.  

tankage

the capacity of a tank or tanks.
the act or process of storing liquid in a tank.
the fee charged for such storage.
the residue from tanks in which carcasses and other offal have beensteamed and the fat has been rendered, used as a fertilizer.

Try a means for storing water where in this context, back then they didn't have the technology to make water, only the means to collect and store it, so there was no need for stored energy.

I can't believe we are still doing this. 

Look ok I embrace environmentalism and wish we can leave the planet better than we found it. But seriously, the boats use about 4 liters of diesel A DAY. Between the crew's water needs, the electricity powers the substantial coverage electronics. They don't even have a cool box, and have water demands of basically 100 liters every 12 hours. 

If if you want VOR boats with huge fresh drinking water tanks for the long legs, ok. I get that. 

If you want to talk seriously about hydro gen and solar, which I personally have used and enjoy, ok we can do that. But at this point this obsession about eliminating 4 liters of diesel a day while underway just screams irrational obsession. Just look at the logistics train the VOR carries. 

If you want to be green? Eliminate new boats and make them sail on the existing ones until they're broken. Get rid of the traveling journalists and make everything telecommunications. 

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Try a means for storing water where in this context, back then they didn't have the technology to make water, only the means to collect and store it, so there was no need for stored energy.

Thank you.  Now I understand the proper context .

12 minutes ago, staysail said:

It would be no bad idea for you to do some maths to see how just how easy it can be for a forward moving boat to generate way more electricity than needed to sustain the need for water for a crew, and with minimal drag. If you call it a "sailboat", don't you see that it is really cheating to rely totally both for drinking water and for powering essential boat systems, on a desel engine? If you allow yourself to power the keel mechanism with electro-hydraulics, then why not electric winches? autopilots?, where do you stop?
It is so simple to return the race to at least a semblance of purity (and encourage design and innovation) simply by prohibiting the use of fossil fuel completely.

Gee it must have been a long and torturous journey for that thought to cross your mind. The maths is simple. Energy demand cannot exceed reliable supply/storage capability having regard for the application/platform.

The alternatives to diesel being used to as a means for energy storage all come with a penalty and in a race boat that will be sacrificing demand, reliability and energy storage weight. So sure go 100% renewable, but be prepared to take a hit somewhere.

Jack. I apologize for sounding as dumb as I did a few months back. I am that dumb, I'm just apologizing. These guys might never get what you're saying...

Well Jack and Miffy, you can take a horse to water!

Keep on truckin in your gasoil powered "sailboats".

If ad hominem will make the environmental challenges go away - you can use me as a punching bag all you want. 

Until then?

Figure out how to produce 200 liters in 24hr without a 10amp draw at 12volt in cold southern ocean conditions, power communication gear that supplies the VOR product and keeps the sailors safe. 

Just reading the Fastnet entry list.  7 boats listed, but Class total noted as 8.  Can we read this as there is a confirmed 8th that is withholding their announcement until closer? Or VOR just living in hope?

2 hours ago, staysail said:

Well Jack and Miffy, you can take a horse to water!

Keep on truckin in your gasoil powered "sailboats".

Actually like most things your also wrong there.

I've got a SH expedition mono that is kept light and fast to be able to pick my weather. I've therefore got very limited tankage for both water and diesel noting both are limited in supply and or quality in most places this thing goes. My only concessions to weight is lots of fresh food/refrigeration, systems redundancy, tools/parts/materials and inner spring mattresses.

My energy solution is big arsed diesel powered alternators, lots of LFP storage and both engine driven and electric water maker pumps. That generation is supplemented with some solar (largely at anchor & portable to max output with limited solar real estate on a mono plus a desire for no junk hanging off the back) and hydro when passage making. I would rather gouge an eye out with a spoon than have a wind generator. Nothing has appeared on the market yet to better that hybrid solution, that is 6 years old now.

With maybe the recent advent of  photovoltaics being bonded to performance sailcloth, I also suspect the above hybrid is also the closest you will see in the foreseeable future to sucessfully  reduce fossil fuel dependency on crewed RTW race boats.

8 hours ago, dangerousdave said:

Transport isn't even the biggest consumer of fossil fuels... it's 'stationary energy' a.k.a. power generation and industrial.

Electricity/heat, industrial and buildings is 57% of emissions according to this source. Transport is only 14%.

Your link is for global numbers. The charts you quoted are for US. I am not sure how good the numbers are from regular cars around the world. Adding up the industrial numbers is a lot easier.

Tuke announced as being hired by MAPFRE. So, our hopes to have ETNZ as the 8th boat are gone.  Looking at timing (Fastnet qualifying race starts Aug 6th, in three weeks), the 8th boat is looking unlikely (or VOR forfeits the qualifying race). 

http://www.expansion.com/nauta360/mapfre-in-the-vor/2017/07/14/596861e6268e3e12558b4577.html

Lordy, I'll repeat something I said before. With current technology, albeit at the leading edge, it is viable to run an incident free VOR race totally with hydro-power. My expectations are that the round after this may well require it.  However, there is currently no known way we can fit a boat out to meet modern accepted levels of safety for a deep ocean class 0 race without an emergency power source that is capable of being refuelled at sea.  They only viable fuel for this is diesel.

Some people may still regard the VOR as an adventure. Clearly some people regard it more as a reality TV show than a race. If you want to watch a reality show where people are placed in serious danger, and may even die, you are in the wrong place. There is zero chance that the VOR will run a race that so endangers its crews, and zero chance that the ISAF will relax the rules for class 0 races so that such endangerment happens. None.

A VOR boat is not a multi-hundred ton exploration ship with a years rations, tons of water and the resources to rebuild rigs from scratch from on-board stores. Nor is is some sort of modern day Kon-Tiki with barely sane adventures aboard, living life on the edge of survival. It is a race boat. The purpose of the Volvo Ocean Race is to race the boats. Not to be explorers or provide entertainment to landbound voyeurs that get off on car accidents.

The VOR is clearly going to pursue a low to zero carbon race.  They are not going to pursue a race where they recklessly endanger the crews.

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Lordy, I'll repeat something I said before. With current technology, albeit at the leading edge, it is viable to run an incident free VOR race totally with hydro-power.

Francis have you actually used current high spec hydro on a boat and gone places with it??? I suspect not by saying that as you would remember all that time you spent clearing weed off, rebuilding the fuckers because they are like an attractotrom for other objects in the ocean, their regulators are prone to spitting the dummy etc. Hydro is still a supplementary or emergency generating source in a RTW race boat...not primary.