Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Dalton should stay out of the VOR Business. I'd rather have the AC, VOR and VG splintered.

Be that as it may, he talks about it and he certainly has an influence in how NZ will approach the next AC and even this VOR, though the door is swinging close quickly.  Jack's comment notwithstanding, there is no reason that the next AC could not have foiling mono's (aka IMOCA style boats), or canting keels or flying toys again.  Side comments and the movement of NZ sailing personnel seemed to lean towards a monohull in the next AC and yes, that allows the country that controls to cup, has two VOR stop overs the option to link the events together, even it is just through boat style and tourist promotion.

13 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I just don't like it when these folks from TNZ now that they won the AC think they need to merge all these Events together. That has never been a winning formula in Sailing. It's better to keep these Events like how they are now: Independent from each other.

I mainly agree.  For example, MTs idea to put FF cats for inport races is stupid.  Why?  They have nothing to do with ocean racing, it takes a whole different style of ....piloting....and they will cost a lot.  Still he does it and I'm guessing because he wants crossover from other extreme(ish) sailing.  Blech!!!

I was/am hoping the TNZ would jump on the VOR mainly for rounding out a fleet, but keeping them in the forefront of sailing news.  I'm a fan of the Kiwi's (outside RC).  I'd probably be cheering them and Dee, but I drift.  I'd like to see how FA monos work in an AC event and if getting TNZ into the VOR so they get practice that type of boat...works for me.  Perhaps I don't se it as a merger, but a continuity of focus.

Maybe that is the new connection. The (co-branded) team that wins the VOR inport series gets extra points for the AC challenger round. :P

Perhaps a bit more realistically the VOR is a reasonably priced activity that keeps people working in the background of ENTZ active and on payroll. If done competently a way for sponsors to stretch out the AC win effect for all that it's worth. Next AC is far off, any shortfalls in the VOR results have faded until then. Different discipline, youth team, and so on and so forth.

I really doubt etnz is going to happen. Unless VOR literally gives the boat away, there's no way ETNZ has the surplus cash flow at this point to just send a crew on VOR. They just got back from Bermuda, incurring expenses working on the protocol and probably the new boat parameters. Meanwhile probably still have team talent on contract so they don't get poached. 

All this talk about publicity. Publicity is not helpful if you can't make money from it. ETNZ can't negotiate revenue from VOR. There's no tourism dollars it can tax. Also while there's potential for time on water, why would you invest that on crew you can't even anticipate having at this point? Yes for top sailers finding speed is finding speed. But they can doing that on their own without a 9 month commitment that's more heavily impacted by ocean sailing challenges that's more about discipline watch keeping, weather routing and risk management. Not really the most transferable technical experience for AC sailing. 

7 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Maybe that is the new connection. The (co-branded) team that wins the VOR inport series gets extra points for the AC challenger round. :P

Perhaps a bit more realistically the VOR is a reasonably priced activity that keeps people working in the background of ENTZ active and on payroll. If done competently a way for sponsors to stretch out the AC win effect for all that it's worth. Next AC is far off, any shortfalls in the VOR results have faded until then. Different discipline, youth team, and so on and so forth.

That looks likely. Eg the extreme series, where both BAR and NZ are taking part in right now, doesn't get nearly as much media attention.  Best way to link AC and VOR together is to keep the main events as far apart as possible schedulewise, so that they don't interfere with each other. Let the volvos sail fastnet, middlesea race, S2H, Caribbean 600 and Transpac to keep the teams busy during off years. For the AC its more difficult, as the boat development takes so much time. 

Personally I'm not convinced that a FA canting keeler is a good idea for match racing. Just get rid of the lead and make a superfoiler type tri or a cat, maybe with flaps on the foils? anyways, better controls needed

26 minutes ago, jonas a said:

That looks likely. Eg the extreme series, where both BAR and NZ are taking part in right now, doesn't get nearly as much media attention.  Best way to link AC and VOR together is to keep the main events as far apart as possible schedulewise, so that they don't interfere with each other. Let the volvos sail fastnet, middlesea race, S2H, Caribbean 600 and Transpac to keep the teams busy during off years. For the AC its more difficult, as the boat development takes so much time. 

Personally I'm not convinced that a FA canting keeler is a good idea for match racing. Just get rid of the lead and make a superfoiler type tri or a cat, maybe with flaps on the foils? anyways, better controls needed

Completely agree. Basically VOR and AC needs to behave like a coordinated cartel. "let's not viciously compete, share venue development and cost so cities want to host" - try and get sponsors overlap and appropriate spacing so ppl can have careers instead of 2 year jobs. 

We'll find out soon. Or as soon as this lackluster edition gets a move on. Somewhere in the next 90 days.

Is Conrad the commentary sidekick or the new Genny?

Not sure where the idea that the next AC would be going back to monohulls, let alone a 60 ft ocean going one comes from. Dalton has already said he has no problems with the AC 35 format. The reason they didn't sign was the required time between events.  Not the boat. Linking the AC and VOR is all about pinnacle events, and zip to do with merging formats. Sailors like PB and Blair Tuke are in the mode of potentially showing they can win on anything. 

2 hours ago, jonas a said:

Ugh!!!  Why?  Seriously why not?  They can do anything so to say a FA monohull, canting or not is not viable requires some supporting thoughts.  Can we get over speed for a moment and concentrate on the idea of interest.  

This is the fastest "Car" in the world

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/land-speed-(fastest-car)

Wow!!!  How many people know about it.  How many care?  People care about what they connect too and something that is the max of technological capability may not be what the masses want to experience.  

Cats were an expression of DC to cheat to win and RC to feed his ego...they did nothing for the AC and the will do shit for the VOR.  Remove the canting keel and add FA monos and I bet you get a heck of a better race in both the AC and the VOR then what we see today.  Hugo Boss led the way on this and the future is not in flying boats right now, it is in the next step technology that can come from this round of the VOR and the next that moves up to FA monos   Foiling Cats are the X15 of sailing and perhaps someday they will be mainstream, but not now.

Not so interested in the politics of it all, more in having a boat that works in most conditions, is not too complicated to sail and tacks well. Obviously if we were guaranteed 20+ knots on most days and big seas, some kind of monohull would probably work. I don't think the imoca necessarily is a great starting point for the AC, as they're optimised for certain wind angles and has specific design limits. 

Hmm, this  has gotten a bit messy. Arguing about VG, VOR and AC boats in the same thread is probably a good way to confuse everyone.

16 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I just don't like it when these folks from TNZ now that they won the AC think they need to merge all these Events together. That has never been a winning formula in Sailing. It's better to keep these Events like how they are now: Independent from each other.

Didn't you quit Anarchy twice? Seems your shit at quitting too.

5 hours ago, jonas a said:

Hmm, this  has gotten a bit messy. Arguing about VG, VOR and AC boats in the same thread is probably a good way to confuse everyone.

Well, we can blame Dalton for that and while we're at it, blame MT for the dearth of news that keeps tin foil hats at the ready.

I've taken to checking on the boats with marinetraffic everyday just to see them move around.  When you look at the tracks you can also see when they do a sail change or take a break.  I'm jonesing for a race.

Jesus what did GD do to VOR now?

MT can't really be blamed for team 8. The barrier to entry is lower than ever. The one design haters always complain about homogeneity, but never give credit for how teams don't need a 18 months build up anymore. 

I'm still hoping for a VOR sponsored "Team Future"

4 minutes ago, Miffy said:

MT can't really be blamed for team 8. The barrier to entry is lower than ever. The one design haters always complain about homogeneity, but never give credit for how teams don't need a 18 months build up anymore. 

Well, I was more joking, can't speak for A4E.  While I don't see a blending, the idea of capitalizing on one race to help promote another is not a bad approach, and it would be made easier if boats were somewhat similar.

I think what surprises me is that the VOR just does not polp the boat in the water and throw a team on it.  They've already paid for the boat basically.  Hell, offer the boat and tell a Team they only need to pay expenses after that.  If the VOR put a sign out tomorrow saying looking for crew they'd have a line around the block.  I know that may offend some who think you need to earn some "right" to race at the top, but looking back at the good old days....yeah, not so much.  I can accept that it's over for an 8 boat fleet, but its a sad statement to sailing in general that they could not get it done.

21 minutes ago, Miffy said:

yes, the long build up periods are a problem also for the AC, as it keeps the teams busy testing and not racing for extensive periods of time. I think the ACWS was a bad idea, as it needed to be coupled to the AC to have any relevance. Why not make the match racing world tour great, so that all the best sailors would be attracted to it. 

9 minutes ago, jonas a said:

yes, the long build up periods are a problem also for the AC, as it keeps the teams busy testing and not racing for extensive periods of time. I think the ACWS was a bad idea, as it needed to be coupled to the AC to have any relevance. Why not make the match racing world tour great, so that all the best sailors would be attracted to it. 

I don't think AC/VOR partnerships should involve the same sailors or similar boats by design. That's 50 people in the world. At the expense of new talent, women and emerging programs. 

The savings should really come from venues. Say a nice sailing waterfront locale where the local gov gets assurance that if they make improvements, AC challenger events will be there in 2019.  VOR will stop in 2020. 

The analogy I would use is essentiality building a track of road that you can use for multiple events and when not in use, it's a nice place for common people to sail and vacation. 

Good venues last. Boat class/sailor teams don't because ETNZ or whomever won't hold the cup forever and venue investment need long term relationship. 

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

How about taking your TNZ shit to other Forums and not the VOR Thread?

How about you sticking to your promise of fucking off and leaving SA?

I get the feeling Brunnel and Team AKZ are either heading over to England or are doing some deep offshore work.  Lost AKZ on the 22 from AIS and Brunnel's last position and heading had them pointing at England and their now not reporting and not in port.  Maybe heaeding over and gettign some work on local waters before the Fastnet start?

15 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I only promised to leave the America's Cup Forum so too bad for you crappy.

Great, so you turn up and starting spewing shit here instead. Is there any particular reason for your trolling?

7 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

I think what surprises me is that the VOR just does not polp the boat in the water and throw a team on it.  They've already paid for the boat basically.  Hell, offer the boat and tell a Team they only need to pay expenses after that.  If the VOR put a sign out tomorrow saying looking for crew they'd have a line around the block.  I know that may offend some who think you need to earn some "right" to race at the top, but looking back at the good old days....yeah, not so much.  I can accept that it's over for an 8 boat fleet, but its a sad statement to sailing in general that they could not get it done.

it's not so simple. By doing so, VOR risks upsetting the team sponsors that are paying the full price to be at the starting line, and if doing so risking getting a request to offer a discount to them (on the boat lease and boatyard services). Sure, they are not that many that could be upset (Akzonobel essentially, Dongfeng maybe, Mapfre unlikely due to the spanish tax benefits scheme - I am assuming Vestas and Brunel are getting already a financial help/discount, not to mention the clean seas foundations. Those would never spend 12 Million Euros on an sporting/corporate event). VOR would need to find a plausible sponsor that stays quiet about the deal like Disney did back in 2005. (Akzonobel might be already pissed with this situation. Thus, the VOR offer to be the official painting of the fleet (?)). 

Hopefully MT learns the lesson for his first real helm at the VOR for next time. The problem with the one design effort is there are certain teams that were holding out knowing the boats will be there. Not a lot of incentive to be early unless you get some tangible benefit. 

Last cycle Dee Caffari was working on getting her own team until the talks fell thru then she joined SCA basically at the last minute. 

Consumables and boat yard service costs are divided equally amongst the teams once the event starts.

5 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I'm not trolling. I just have an absolute distaste for Grant Dalton. You want me to be totally honest: I want his head on a plate. I can't stand him and he once and for all should stick to his beloved TNZ and leave the other Sailing Events alone.

You want his head on a plate?  So you wish him dead then.  

Dislike the man for how he conducts his sailing business is fine, hate him even if you like, but wishing death on the man crosses the line.  

Maybe you should extend your self imposed exile to all SA related forums for a while.  Clearly you need a break to decompress.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Miffy said:

Last cycle Dee Caffari was working on getting her own team until the talks fell thru then she joined SCA basically at the last minute. 

So who was Dee's potential sponsor? and why did the talks fall through?

14 minutes ago, staysail said:

So who was Dee's potential sponsor? and why did the talks fall through?

A number of different sponsors, some of whom would come on board for the right program,  others that will not get involved whilst Brexit and economic conditions are what they are.

Dee's team last time was based around a family of sponsors on a global trade program. It got quite close but was just taking too much time and money to bring together. Eventually I had to go and get a job to pay the mortgage.

With SCA it was a chicken or egg situation.  They would not talk to her whilst she was looking for sponsors, but she was not going to stop until they spoke to her... 

35 minutes ago, Potter said:

A number of different sponsors, some of whom would come on board for the right program,  others that will not get involved whilst Brexit and economic conditions are what they are.

Dee's team last time was based around a family of sponsors on a global trade program. It got quite close but was just taking too much time and money to bring together. Eventually I had to go and get a job to pay the mortgage.

With SCA it was a chicken or egg situation.  They would not talk to her whilst she was looking for sponsors, but she was not going to stop until they spoke to her... 

So who were the sailors on her team? was it going to be a mixed one or all female?

SCA were trialling and trying to sign up all the best female sailors for maybe 2 years before the race, so who was committed to Dee? and will they be sailing in her boat this time?

6 hours ago, WetHog said:

You want his head on a plate?  So you wish him dead then.  

Dislike the man for how he conducts his sailing business is fine, hate him even if you like, but wishing death on the man crosses the line.  

Maybe you should extend your self imposed exile to all SA related forums for a while.  Clearly you need a break to decompress.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

+100 

Telling others to keep ETNZ to other forums but jumping on the bandwagon at the first mention of GD. Fuck off and get a life. 

Oh wait, iggy will do. 

22 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

How about taking your TNZ shit to other Forums and not the VOR Thread?

Who mentioned TNZ?

How about quitting like you said you would, twice.

According to scuttlebutt two Brazilians on AkzoNobel Martine Grael and  Joca Signorini

It looks like this morning, Scallywag and T**3 are on the move to England as well.  Ya think Marinetraffic could have personal use  cost for satellite coverage of a small fleet :-( 

Mapfre may be also moving over today for their heading on straight line away from shore.

So we got 
Brunnel,
TAKZ,
T**3,
Scallywag  out of Lisbon on the move
Mapfre out of Spain on the move
DF still parked in France
11thHour already in England.

I guess no miracle for the 8th boat and now the fleet is gathering.  Looks like the starts can be watched online (Woo Hoo) except I'm blocked (Boo).  I hope they stay close enough to land to follow on AIS

------

Fastnet TV:

For the first time in the history of the race, live TV coverage of the Rolex Fastnet start sequence will be broadcast from the RORC Fastnet web site: http://fastnet.rorc.org

Fastnet Radio:

Broadcasting live on 87.7fm on start day from 1145 with race commentary from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line and out on the water. Fastnet Radio will also be available on line at: http://fastnet.rorc.org

Latest race news, blogs from the boats, pictures, video and much more: http://fastnet.rorc.org

Watch the Rolex Fastnet Race unfold online with the fleet tracker. Trackers are fitted to every yacht so you can see each boat's position along the course. http://fastnet.rorc.org/2013-fleet-tracking.html

Armchair enthusiasts can negotiate the course from the safety of their living room by playing the Virtual Fastnet Game. Choose your yacht name, plan your strategy and see how you fare against a fleet of thousands. Be warned: this game is very addictive! http://manyclick.manyplayers.com/click.php?li=109

Come on, they are just coasting along with minimum effort.
VOR can't even be bothered to update the team pages weeks after a major crew announcement.

2 hours ago, Chasm said:

VOR can't even be bothered to update the team pages weeks after a major crew announcement.

In this I agree.  Lack of news, lack of updates....about the only way to follow is like what I'm doing with MarineTraffic.  At least there I can follow boat movements and was able to see boats heading to UK before they announce.   One would think MT doesn't give a shit about promoting this Event or he needs a better marketing/PR person.

3 hours ago, Chasm said:

for an organisation that's asking for millions from runners, and who's prime purpose is promotion and sponsor exposure, they sure haven't got their shit together.

Mixed team medley relay in the FINA World Swimming Championships in Budapest.  Exciting stuff.  Lot's of lead changes.  A new Olympic event beginning in Tokyo.  Also in the Open Water 5K Freestyle Relay.  +1 for mixed teams.

9 hours ago, Chasm said:

I expect it could be a cash flow issue and they can't afford do do the publicity just now, or maybe just careful cost management.
Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder give us news of boat locations and trips and that costs VOR nothing.
They know the Fastnet race organisation will be putting out news and crew lists and VOR won't have to be paying for that. We can read what the teams want us to on their facebook pages, free to VOR. More news about the event by far here on SA than on the VOR website, and that's free to VOR.
Life at the Extreme?
Life on a Budget.

After all, the great new attraction of the VOR for the sponsors is its affordability.

22 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

How about telling Grant Dalton trying not to intervene in other Major Sailing Events and keep it to his AC Business. We've had fantastic Editions of the VOR in 08/09, 11/12 and 14/15 and it shouldn't be destroyed by a guy who thinks he is "Jesus Christ" himself.

That move to get TNZ on the VOR Starting Line for 2017/18 is just a Desperation Attempt to generate Revenue & Money for the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron to host the AC in 2021 because they at the moment have no way near the facilities & infrastructure to host an Event of this magnitude.

So, a bloke that has won the event and competed another 3 or 4 times shouldn't get an opportunity to voice his opinion? Has he even voiced his opinion or are you so fixated on the bloke that you want him to say stuff to dislike him more?

Time and time again you show this group that you are a wanker. Time to type with both hands, mate, or better yet, log off like you said you would, twice. You will get a bit more respect if you take some time out in the sunshine.

Yes GD (and I know him) is a sanctimonious, self serving, rude as prick with no manners at all...but one that always delivers as promised (except AC34). Thats life. So get over it A4ever or fuck off like you promised.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes GD (and I know him) is a sanctimonious, self serving, rude as prick with no manners at all...but one that always delivers as promised (except AC34). Thats life. So get over it A4ever or fuck off like you promised.

Yes, You don't win the AC by being Mr Nice guy. Every winning team has always had at least one controversial figure in the background to play the dirty game

13 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Fine, why doesn't he stick to his AC then. Why does he intervene into VOR? They are some things in the AC Press Conference he never should have said. I like it when Events stay for themselves.

TNZ should be prohibited from having a Team in the 2017/18 VOR and Auckland should be scrubbed as Stopover.

How did GD intervene? Is there no freedom of expression in Deutchland? A former participant whose VOR experience was actually made into promotion videos by VOR within the past year is not going to get iced because some butt hurt rando has beef with GD. 

II'm no a Kiwi apologist, GD is abrasive, but you're nuts.

Auckland has been the last stop before the southern ocean because of the great logistics and fan support in NZ. Really you're nuts.

Not sure if it's news here, but it was news to me: Sophie Csizek has a ride on Mapfre:

So: I just became a Mapfre fan. :-)

4 minutes ago, jbc said:

Not sure if it's news here, but it was news to me: Sophie Csizek has a ride on Mapfre:

So: I just became a Mapfre fan. :-)

Now that's good news!  So glad for Sophie.

If Sophie hadn't of scored a ride then the whole gender balance idea would be down the toilet. She is a pretty tough and talented cookie. Like to see her get some experience at the back of the bus for the future.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If Sophie hadn't of scored a ride then the whole gender balance idea would be down the toilet. She is a pretty tough and talented cookie. Like to see her get some experience at the back of the bus for the future.

+1.

Hope she gets equal pay too!

In the Volvo picture? That should be Pablo Arrarte behind her.

in the mapfre picture and written VOR article there is also Támara Echegoyen. (Spain, Elliott 6m Gold medal in London)

20393669_516226678719589_4040849225150365696_n.jpg.26bc80e632499d971a7a10f0c4e58715.jpg

In slightly older news AkzoNobel announced Martine Grael. (Brazil, 49er FX gold medal in Rio) 
....Apparently they send the press release to scuttelbutt but not the VOR. *g* 

Looking through crew lists once more we have 4 complete crews. Akzo, DF, mapfre, Vestas
All are 7+2, what a surprise. Both Akzo and DF list 3 spare males.

That leaves TTT, Scallywag, Brunel and the mystery team.
Looking at the females 3 come from Team SCA, 6 do not. Interesting(tm). There should be 8 more slots, 4 on TTT, 2+2 on Brunel and the mystery boat.

Oh, and someone lit a fire under the VOR, team pages now have much more complete crew lists.

Well, at least some good news today, Sophie's got a ride. She's on Mapfre's crew with Tamara Echegoyen.  Check it out. You did check it out I see. Apologies I was on Page 25 when I signed in!!!!

55 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Looking through crew lists once more we have 4 complete crews. Akzo, DF, mapfre, Vestas
All are 7+2, what a surprise. Both Akzo and DF list 3 spare males.

That leaves TTT, Scallywag, Brunel and the mystery team.
Looking at the females 3 come from Team SCA, 6 do not. Interesting(tm). There should be 8 more slots, 4 on TTT, 2+2 on Brunel and the mystery boat.

Oh, and someone lit a fire under the VOR, team pages now have much more complete crew lists.

Annemieke Nees on AkzoNobel was almost SCA but didn't the spot. Wonder if Brad Jackson and her had a little chat about that on AN. 

Carolinjn was probably the strongest helm on SCA?

Since there are only 6 boats considering mixed crew, we should be expecting 14-15 involved. Pretty good for next cycle IMO - perhaps enough cross pollination between men and women so that future crews will have less resistance to mix teams and team scallywags can go fuck themselves. 

I'm crossings my fingers for LG to get invited by DC to be navigator. 

4 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Fine, why doesn't he stick to his AC then. Why does he intervene into VOR? They are some things in the AC Press Conference he never should have said. I like it when Events stay for themselves.

TNZ should be prohibited from having a Team in the 2017/18 VOR and Auckland should be scrubbed as Stopover.

I've been reading this thread on and off with mild interest.  I don't see that Dalts is involved much with the current VOR other than offering conjecture.

I think you are missing a little history. Dalts completed seven round the world races, fives as the Whitbread and two as the VOR before, getting involved with the AC.

IIRC, New Zealand has been a stopover in every iteration of the event.

Please feel free to correct.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

I've been reading this thread on and off with mild interest.  I don't see that Dalts is involved much with the current VOR other than offering conjecture.

I think you are missing a little history. Dalts completed seven round the world races, fives as the Whitbread and two as the VOR before, getting involved with the AC.

IIRC, New Zealand has been a stopover in every iteration of the event.

Please feel free to correct.

New Zealand didn't have a stopover in 1973/74 (Whitbread, obviously) or 2008/09 races.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I'm crossings my fingers for LG to get invited by DC to be navigator. 

You and me both, but I would have expected the navigator to be one of the first to be chosen after the skipper. Dee has seen first hand what Libby can do. Dee acknowledged that she would be still be selecting crew during the Fastnet and later but I took that to be the 'more junior' members.  Can't someone who has access to Facebook, i.e. crew pages, tell us what they know?

Also when is VOR going to start the website dedicated to the forthcoming race????

7 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Fine, just watch and follow the events that you like. You obviously don't like the AC anymore or the VOR, so why not change to an event or sport that you enjoy? 

8 hours ago, DFL1010 said:

New Zealand didn't have a stopover in 1973/74 (Whitbread, obviously) or 2008/09 races.

Thanks for that.  I probably should have know the 73/74 since my dad was in that, but then I was only 7 or so!

OBRS announced. Stoked to Jen Edney made the list. Enjoy the ride, rockstar!

On 7/25/2017 at 9:10 PM, Alinghi4ever said:

I'm not trolling. I just have an absolute distaste for Grant Dalton. You want me to be totally honest: I want his head on a plate. I can't stand him and he once and for all should stick to his beloved TNZ and leave the other Sailing Events alone.

I can hear your German Jackboots marching on the ground. You germans sure have a desire for wanting peoples head on a plate. You and your great grandfather adolf  would make a great team with your "final solution" for Grant Dalton. Who would thought a German psycho path would exists. 

On 7/28/2017 at 3:10 AM, Alinghi4ever said:

Jealousy...the old green eyed monster. Dalton sailed and won the whitbread before he sailed and won the AC. He is a Volvo Ocean Race icon, and now an Americas Cup icon.

7 hours ago, DtM said:

and Clean missed the list :lol:

didn't apply this time.  Daughter the wrong age for me to leave.  Bouwe did call and ask me to apply though, because he wanted me aboard with him.  Oh well!  Will be doing some VOR podcasts next week: Bouwe, Simeon, Carlin, and some others.

2 hours ago, DFL1010 said:

Scallywag has appeared in Falmouth (UK). No pics 'cos it's chucking it down.

Probably going to check out the tide gates and bay wind conditions between Lands End and Cowes on the way to Cowes for the start.

45 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Probably going to check out the tide gates and bay wind conditions between Lands End and Cowes on the way to Cowes for the start.

No need to stop in Falmouth for that. Forecast for tonight is a bit breezy, maybe they are just taking it easy. 

39 minutes ago, Potter said:

No need to stop in Falmouth for that. Forecast for tonight is a bit breezy, maybe they are just taking it easy. 

Maybe they just fancied a pasty and a decent pint?

Betty_stogs_cutout_hero_new-1920x3200-c-

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Doesn't matter what tonight's forecast says, the race doesn't start until Sunday next. But in a true westerly or true easterly wind, and particularly if the wind is light and the tides strong either on the outbound or the return leg, then how you play it between Cowes and Lands End outbound or Lands End and Plymouth on return is critical to doing well. Local knowledge is invaluable. After Lands End it's pretty much equal odds for everyone with the information a large proportion of the fleet have, whatever the conditions.

I'm sure Charlie has been studying that, he showed his skill in that area several times in the last race, particularly on the approach to the Lisbon finish!!

And even more particularly, in the way Charlie played the tides and breeze in leg along the French coast to the stopover in the Hague!!!! This and my last post should have acknowledged the role of his navigator.

Only two boats left to get to England...Scallywag and DongFeng and they are on their way.  I certainly believe these teams will be heading out and testing tides/winds for the next week, but seeing as how they seem to be all docked near each other, I figure some sparring will occur as well.  

A shame the 8th boat (aka SCA) was not able to join the fleet.  Unless magic occurs we will get to see the first jousts of seven boats starting Aug 6th and it will be fun to watch.

17 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

A shame the 8th boat (aka SCA) was not able to join the fleet.

I haven't quite given up on Team Eight yet. The fact that it hasn't shown up yet doesn't prove that it doesn't exist. (Deliberate double negative) There's a whole host of professionals out there that could crew a 'works team' for the Fastnet. Several teams are still selecting crew, why not one more. Maybe VOR has given up, but I'm inclined to agree with Jack about a VOR65 gathering dust in October. That would put quite a tarnish on VOR, not to mention 'egg on the face'.

As to the possibility of jousts, anyone care to speculate on which of the VOR boats will be first to finish the Fastnet?

49 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I haven't quite given up on Team Eight yet. The fact that it hasn't shown up yet doesn't prove that it doesn't exist. (Deliberate double negative) There's a whole host of professionals out there that could crew a 'works team' for the Fastnet. Several teams are still selecting crew, why not one more. Maybe VOR has given up, but I'm inclined to agree with Jack about a VOR65 gathering dust in October. That would put quite a tarnish on VOR, not to mention 'egg on the face'.

As to the possibility of jousts, anyone care to speculate on which of the VOR boats will be first to finish the Fastnet?

Dongfeng it they can get their ass out of France.  Opps, spoke too soon.  The fleet is gathered.  The fSCA boat has not left it's position so short of a sprint where by they hit the line running in six days...It would so easy for someone over there to just wander near the yard and snap a shot.  FFS, this is not area 51 here.  Is it white, is it branded, is it in the water.  Who lives around there that can take a picture.

Anyway,

Dongfeng
11th
TAKZN
Brunnel
T**3
Mapfre
Scallywag

DF is the clear favorite (not who I'm cheering for), 11th and TAKZN have had a lot of time with the boat, Brunnel not as much, but ...Bouwie.  T**3  may surprise and Mapfre could beat them.  SCallywag wher e ti is based on no time on boat and lack of experience in VO65.

Wouldn't write Scallywag off too quickly particularly in heavy weather. They have only been at it in Lisbon training for a short time but it won't take them long to get a feel of the 65. As for experience I am assuming Matt Humphries and similiar are on board to add that, I think he has been around 5 or 6 times? 

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wouldn't write Scallywag off too quickly particularly in heavy weather. They have only been at it in Lisbon training for a short time but it won't take them long to get a feel of the 65. As for experience I am assuming Matt Humphries and similiar are on board to add that, I think he has been around 5 or 6 times? 

Okay, so my list is slightly biased and I'd not make a great analyst in this regard.  I did put in the top tier DF, Brunnel, and 11th, the next tier is Mapfre and TAKN, and finally T*3 and Scallywag and that's for the main event.  One guy cannot carry a ship and sailing with 7 around the world....not sure if that's smart.  There are some experienced VOR sailors in the top three, some in the next and while I am going to be cheering for Dee, I see her campaign as educational, not top tier competitive, but I hope she proves me wrong.

I see the VO65 start is @ 740 EST so I can see it at home since work is not friendly to sailing.  

IRC Z & VO65 Pennant 0 12:30 12:36 12:39 12:40

2 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

The fSCA boat has not left it's position so short of a sprint where by they hit the line running in six days...It would so easy for someone over there to just wander near the yard and snap a shot.  FFS, this is not area 51 here.  Is it white, is it branded, is it in the water.  Who lives around there that can take a picture.

Hi bucc5062, what are you using for ex-SCA's position? The locator beacon isn't necessarily on - naughty yes -  but if one was trying to keep a boat's position secret and one keeps a sharp lookout, why not? And what if it's a totally different MMSI number anyway, and its name isn't SCA?  Just keeping hope alive!! Still, I agree that it would be good to have local proof that it is still in Lisbon.

33 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Hi bucc5062, what are you using for ex-SCA's position? The locator beacon isn't necessarily on - naughty yes -  but if one was trying to keep a boat's position secret and one keeps a sharp lookout, why not? And what if it's a totally different MMSI number anyway, and its name isn't SCA?  Just keeping hope alive!! Still, I agree that it would be good to have local proof that it is still in Lisbon.

Yes, I'm using the last MMSI number and it is valid from 2015...so....I hate surprises.  Either VOR tell the world 8's in the mix or say "it ain't happening"... the game playing is bullshit after while.

3 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Yes, I'm using the last MMSI number and it is valid from 2015...so....I hate surprises.  Either VOR tell the world 8's in the mix or say "it ain't happening"... the game playing is bullshit after while.

I checked and I don't think you can actually turn off an AIS transponder if its connected or if it has battery power. I was going to say something about it ain't over til the ---, but The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie said it with no physical or gender qualifications. If it hasn't happened, it isn't over yet!

On 7/29/2017 at 2:46 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

didn't apply this time.  Daughter the wrong age for me to leave.  Bouwe did call and ask me to apply though, because he wanted me aboard with him.  Oh well!  Will be doing some VOR podcasts next week: Bouwe, Simeon, Carlin, and some others.

.....aww krikey,,, we came sorta close to having to put up with...   ''me,me, me,,,,,,mommy mommy,,, I'm cold and scared,,,me, me, me......''..... for a whole VO... I'm very thankful you had a child. :mellow:

20 hours ago, Retired Sailor said:

.....not bad to have a spare boat on hand in case some nav forgets to zoom in.     Where's Wouter these days, anyways :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

.....aww krikey,,, we came sorta close to having to put up with...   ''me,me, me,,,,,,mommy mommy,,, I'm cold and scared,,,me, me, me......''..... for a whole VO... I'm very thankful you had a child. :mellow:

.....not bad to have a spare boat on hand in case some nav forgets to zoom in.     Where's Wouter these days, anyways :rolleyes:

As memory serves, they didn't pull out the spare, but repaired the art deco'd one instead.  If the option for getting a new hull was smashing the old one up, we'd might see a race to the bottom, literally.  All's I know is that this world has a bunch of rich pansy's that decry "12 million is too much daddy, just too much to play on a boat", but thewn will go out and by a fucking private jet or worse, some mega yacht that may ride on a few days out of the year.

Rich people disgust me, not so much because they are rich, but because they flaming tightwads; like they can take it with them when they go to hell.  Religious people keep trying to tell them paper money will burn, gold will melt, so spent while you can.

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I see Liz Wardley and... Ellen MacArthur?

Can't make out any faces, but unless Libby is deliberately tweeting misinformation, she isn't on board.  She's offering weather information to anyone who wants it.  Pity. Maybe that's Ellen Macarthur's role, for now, although her website says she's retired?

Ellen has not been an active racer for nearly a decade. She is not on the crew. Though if she was available that would be amazing.

Not sure when this interview was done, but Dee talking about the Fastnet and preparations. 

Dee interview 

18 hours ago, Retired Sailor said:

I checked and I don't think you can actually turn off an AIS transponder if its connected or if it has battery power.

They can be put into "listening mode" (receive but not send) quite easily via a PC based program.

31 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

They can be put into "listening mode" (receive but not send) quite easily via a PC based program.

You can also fit a switch to the aerial power...

32 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, Potter said:

You can also fit a switch to the aerial power...

And thanks again, but the real issue was whether there could be a 'stealth VOR65' out there, and today's VOR 'news' articles indicate that Team Eight is DOA, not MIA.

Sure looks like team 8 is pining for the fiords. Sadly. There is no realistic chance a stealth team would make leg 0, and that is about it.  

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Sure looks like team 8 is pining for the fiords. Sadly. There is no realistic chance a stealth team would make leg 0, and that is about it.  

Agree... I hope that the boat will be on the starting line in Alicante.

The 8th boat is behind the 8th ball ;-P

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Just heard through the grapevine #8 will be a starter subject to sign off in a month or so.

OK, Wow!.  So, how do they manage leg 0 as a component of the race proper I wonder?  A dispensation from the VOR obviously, but given how much the VOR are spruking leg 0 as a critical prelude, I wonder how they will spin this.

You do really need to give a bit more of a hint than just "grapevine."  (pretty please...)

I guess we all felt that leaving boat 8 in the dock was never going to be a good look.  But this isn't just 11th hour stuff, this is Minutes to Midnight.

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

OK, Wow!..

You do really need to give a bit more of a hint than just "grapevine."  (pretty please...)

2 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

OK, Wow!.  So, how do they manage leg 0 as a component of the race proper I wonder?  A dispensation from the VOR obviously, but given how much the VOR are spruking leg 0 as a critical prelude, I wonder how they will spin this.

I guess we all felt that leaving boat 8 in the dock was never going to be a good look.  But this isn't just 11th hour stuff, this is Minutes to Midnight.

grapevine + australia... the plot thinkens! :ph34r:

And we have confirmation that the Liz Wardley is going to be with Turn the Tide. Can't think of a better person to look after your boat than a boatyard captain who spent all her time off working out getting ready for the next VOR :)

Glad to see Liz has got a confirmed job on Dee's boat.

Really surprised that she wasn't offered one long ago, before Dee's project got off the ground.