Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

but boy I'd love a mic on Dee to see what her thinking is.

I'm with you, she could just be playing it simple (far fewer tacks) while seeing how the crew do or just being real canny. Still way too early to tell. Witt is the only one taking a flyer at the moment. We'll see how that plays out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jbc said:

Great footage off Vestas from shortly after the start. Short-tacking through the Solent on these boats is bananas! It looks like a port/starboard violation at one point; I thought there was another such violation in the footage I was looking at earlier with all the start-line shouting on Scallywag (which, yeah; I get what you guys have been saying about them).

But that made me wonder: what are the rules in a race like this these days for something like a port-starboard violation? I can't imagine the penalty would be retirement after a post-race protest hearing. Do they do time penalties? Or do they all just be grown-ups about it and refrain from protesting as long as the transgressor isn't being a dick or blatantly taking advantage?

 

If you're talking 0:51  -- Scallywag looks like she's pinned by Brunel to windward -- and maybe can't call for room to tack as Brunel is too close to the moorings (continuous obstruction) to windward of them. Can't tell, due lens / zoom compression.  On the other hand, he's not known as F. Witt for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

If you're talking 0:51  -- Scallywag looks like she's pinned by Brunel to windward -- and maybe can't call for room to tack as Brunel is too close to the moorings (continuous obstruction) to windward of them. Can't tell, due lens / zoom compression.  On the other hand, he's not known as F. Witt for nothing.

 

I withdraw that -- look at 7:22 on the start Vid. Scallywag had plenty of room to tack behind Brunel.

 

How to make friends and influence people in the VO fleet - by D. Witt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The navigator on Rambler 88 is either a genius or a knucklehead. As I write this they are all alone up north of the fleet and right inshore. Soon they will have to tack out to the south and punch into the chop close hauled while all of the IMOCA 60s will be approaching them on a reach.

" A courageous decision " as the Brits would say. Things will soon get interesting.

Hugo Boss is getting clobbered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jbc said:

Here's the video of all the screaming aboard Scallywag. I know there are people who think that's the right way to race a boat, but my own experience has been that if there's yelling going on it's a sign of people making it up as they go, where a more polished team just quietly goes about their business. Not to say there hasn't been a fair amount of yelling (sometimes by me) on boats I've raced. But it's not the ideal; more a response to problems. And problems aren't fast.

I think the ideal is more like what it looked like on ETNZ while winning the Cup: eery silence.

I'll admit it though: yelling is entertaining to watch:

completely agree jbc - "A quiet boat is a quick boat"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

At 7:19... Did Scallywag foul the starboard boat.  It sure looked like it.  The starboard tacked over as did Scally back to startboard, but that looked close from this angle.

Looked to me that Scallywag was not "Tack complete" before the the other boat (German I think had t start heading up. Kind of conformed y the onboard footage of Scallywag.

Also on the Facebook feed they say that SW owes them some beers for that manouver

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pleased to see that Witty hasn't lost any of his cowboy instincts that have "enhanced" skiff sailing for so many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scallywag reportedly have 8 of their declared volvo race crew on board for the fastnet even though they declared only 7 on the fastnet crew list as posted on the volvo site .... the 8th being the hk chinese token come back up navigator is rumored to be on board as the VIP guest ... here he is in the red jacket ... listening and learning ...

scallwag 8th crew.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they in distress Wittless? Surely the Hong Kong flag has the single flower petal pointing upwards to the sky, not down to the ground (or water)

Perhaps with 8 declared crew on board (whatever they told the organisers he was) might cause a little distress come Plymouth?

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wittless said:

Scallywag reportedly have 8 of their declared volvo race crew on board for the fastnet even though they declared only 7 on the fastnet crew list as posted on the volvo site .... the 8th being the hk chinese token come back up navigator is rumored to be on board as the VIP guest ... here he is in the red jacket ... listening and learning ...

scallwag 8th crew.jpg

A 1st post ..stick it into Witt troll..fuck off you turnip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

I am pleased to see that Witty hasn't lost any of his cowboy instincts that have "enhanced" skiff sailing for so many years.

What have you driven to the start of a big offshore race other than your sister???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

What have you driven to the start of a big offshore race other than your sister???

And what have you driven to the start of a big offshore race Jack?

SS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

A 1st post ..stick it into Witt troll..fuck off you turnip.

 

Have you got a little man crush on Witty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

 

Compared to this, I have a rough idea about which boat I'd prefer to be on...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

82 footer and you???

same - honours even :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mad said:

 

Have you got a little man crush on Witty? 

Mmmm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

MAN, what a Turnaround. Biggest goal for Dongfeng for: Beat the Spaniards on MAPFRE. Pascal once again made on of the best Navigators Joan Vila look average.

Hard to tell from this shitty YB tracker but it looked like Mapfre may have had some issues to drop back in the fleet as far as they did.  Not to take anything away from Pascal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

MAN, what a Turnaround. Biggest goal for Dongfeng for: Beat the Spaniards on MAPFRE. Pascal once again made on of the best Navigators Joan Vila look average.

Go Dutch!!  I guess teams are still just experimenting (lol).  Words adn timing are two objects you don't want to mess with.  Not even halfway...things can happen.  I'm hoping TToP is positioned because of a green and just picked crew.  They have moments, but very hard to play catch up without doing something drastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the new changes to come to the VOR, the mixed teams is the winner.  Seeing Sophie on the grinder and sitting on the rail with the guys just looks great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which boat I'd rather be on? Cochise 10 of course, almost at the rock. ;) 

Akzo in front, TTT now 6nm behind. Lead pack is with 1.5nm of each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some random observations....

Couldn't help by notice the VO65s caught and passed almost all of the IMOCAs.  Wind angle?  Speed?  Single vs crew?  Perhaps those IMOCAs are not the best thing since sliced bread.

It struck me that in the IRC0 groups, there was a VO70.  Wow, but it must be putting a hurt on those slow assed VO65.....oh wait...nope.  Maybe size doesn't matter all the time.  Especially when a few 60s and under are ahead of mister pokey.

Can you believe it, CLEAN must be having orgasms...why those multi's are making the monohulls look like....damn...really, the VO65s passed them?  Man you got to love multihull speed.  Granted, Concise 10 is making a fool of everyone else, but then that boat looks like it's moving mach 5 at anchor.

I guess this shows that we all can have our favorite types, we can all have pinups of boats that gives us a woody, but to hold one up and say "This is the best" is just not true.  Certainly races like Fastnet, where we get to see a vast variety of boats, gives everyone a chance to see how boats perform in various conditions.

Last thought, when you turn YB on for all boats, man what a clusterfuck is going on in the back.  Sailing through that at night, lookouts would seem mandatory.

(In case you don't get it, tongue in cheek humor for a monday)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Some random observations....

Couldn't help by notice the VO65s caught and passed almost all of the IMOCAs.  Wind angle?  Speed?  Single vs crew?  Perhaps those IMOCAs are not the best thing since sliced bread.

It struck me that in the IRC0 groups, there was a VO70.  Wow, but it must be putting a hurt on those slow assed VO65.....oh wait...nope.  Maybe size doesn't matter all the time.  Especially when a few 60s and under are ahead of mister pokey.

Can you believe it, CLEAN must be having orgasms...why those multi's are making the monohulls look like....damn...really, the VO65s passed them?  Man you got to love multihull speed.  Granted, Concise 10 is making a fool of everyone else, but then that boat looks like it's moving mach 5 at anchor.

I guess this shows that we all can have our favorite types, we can all have pinups of boats that gives us a woody, but to hold one up and say "This is the best" is just not true.  Certainly races like Fastnet, where we get to see a vast variety of boats, gives everyone a chance to see how boats perform in various conditions.

Last thought, when you turn YB on for all boats, man what a clusterfuck is going on in the back.  Sailing through that at night, lookouts would seem mandatory.

(In case you don't get it, tongue in cheek humor for a monday)

Bucc,  Having followed the entire Vendee, what are the IMOCA's designed for?  Or was this tongue and cheek too?  Are you missing SMA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Bucc,  Having followed the entire Vendee, what are the IMOCA's designed for?  Or was this tongue and cheek too?  Are you missing SMA?

Good lord do you guys got any humor.  Of course I see SMA :rolleyes:

Caught this video from TToP.  They seem pretty laid back.  At the moment it looks like they stopped bleeding distance and are roughly matching the pack.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That explains a lot.

 

Quote

Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag caught up with the pack after rounding Land’s End by joining Vestas 11th Hour racing in a daring move to sail down a 260-metre wide channel in between the Longships rocks. MAPFRE and Brunel chose a more conservative route closer to the mainland shore but got caught in lighter winds and dropped two positions.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9820_AkzoNobel-lead-after-series-of-Fastnet-gambles.html

Looking like a slow motion drag race, but what an opportunity to speed test.  Next up, who pulls the trigger first and when.  It looks like they are already above SMA's line.  Looking at Windyty there is a shift (coming more from the north) so do you time for maybe one tack or stay more mid course with a couple more tacks.

Capturea.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucc, along with Alinghi, I am an obvious fan of Dongfeng - coz I know the guys but not only is Dee a good sailor - that goes without saying - she is also a good skipper and having spent time chatting to her while waiting for a flight to Gothenburg last year she alright. I don't mean that in any other way other than she has no side to her, if she has an ego it was kept well hidden and she clearly loves our sport. She has a green crew - in terms of sailing together - and I sincerely hope that this "social experiment" as someone called it works out for all the crews, for sailing and for women's sailing in particular.

I also agree in that she has not only stopped bleeding miles, they are gradually (very gradually) coming back at the fleet.

The big switch round over the last few hours has been the Hong Kong entry with their dash up the Longships Channel.

It will be interesting to see who flops over onto Stb first but I am sure the naviguessers will be conscious of the wind modelling showing the breeze backing closer to the Irish coast. On what YB is showing another 30 miles then tack but I freely admit I am no Pascall.

I reckon order at the Rock will be the Akzo, Dongers, Vestas then I suspect Mapfre will regain her slot from HK

They don't make it easy to shut down the tracker and head to one's scratcher that's for sure (1 hour to midnight here in China)

SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It will be interesting to see who flops over onto Stb first but I am sure the naviguessers will be conscious of the wind modelling showing the breeze backing closer to the Irish coast. On what YB is showing another 30 miles then tack but I freely admit I am no Pascall.

(SS)

We wait no more.  Mapfe and Brunel decided to stop playing follow the leader.  I wonder if TToP will flop as well.  I think the YB updates every 6 minutes, so it will be interesting to see the rest of the fleets reactions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

We wait no more.  Mapfe and Brunel decided to stop playing follow the leader.  I wonder if TToP will flop as well.  I think the YB updates every 6 minutes, so it will be interesting to see the rest of the fleets reactions.

That's quite a header they have tacked into - we wait and see :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of a good offshore crew tryout is how they react when we're behind or losing miles. Many good Olympian sailors have found offshore sailing difficult to transition to because the mentality has to be different or you'll drive your team crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

That's quite a header they have tacked into - we wait and see :-)

 

I guess they heard you, two tacked back, maybe Dee did after the YB update.  Mapfre held on longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jbc said:

Here's the video of all the screaming aboard Scallywag. I know there are people who think that's the right way to race a boat, but my own experience has been that if there's yelling going on it's a sign of people making it up as they go, where a more polished team just quietly goes about their business. Not to say there hasn't been a fair amount of yelling (sometimes by me) on boats I've raced. But it's not the ideal; more a response to problems. And problems aren't fast.

I think the ideal is more like what it looked like on ETNZ while winning the Cup: eery silence.

I'll admit it though: yelling is entertaining to watch:

 

I almost can't recall a single race start when there wasn't any screaming. I can't really see anything strange about this, the team is new and there's a lot at stake, I think it looks quite normal for an event like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I almost can't recall a single race start when there wasn't any screaming. I can't really see anything strange about this, the team is new and there's a lot at stake, I think it looks quite normal for an event like this.

 

How do you feel about the "social experiment" views from Witty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mad said:

How do you feel about the "social experiment" views from Witty?

I think the views are an ugly hand gesture to both female sailors and to his crew, thinking they would lose their focus if there were females on the team.

I hope they regret the decision, but that will never be said out loud.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Fu..ng tracker !!!!! One more time dead .

Use the yellow brick tracker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

I think the views are an ugly hand gesture to both female sailors and to his crew, thinking they would lose their focus if there were females on the team.

I hope they regret the decision, but that will never be said out loud.

 

Can he change his mind and revise the crew mix? And more to the point how many women would be keen to go with them? 

And want to stay on for the whole race?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mad said:

Can he change his mind and revise the crew mix? And more to the point how many women would be keen to go with them? 

The teams can change the configuration for each leg. I think there's a rule saying that for each leg, the crew must participate in the inshore race before the start, or something.

But for this particular team I reckon their backups will be male.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, southerncross said:

 

Great drone shots.  I guess every OBR now has a drone and some training?   That one moment, with Brunel in the background sails flapping, ugh, hate those conditions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

The teams can change the configuration for each leg. I think there's a rule saying that for each leg, the crew must participate in the inshore race before the start, or something.

But for this particular team I reckon their backups will be male.

Be interesting to see if the opinion of the crew end up forcing a change half way round or sooner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Southern. Is that the first time we have seen someone post some drone footage?

Hell if I know?  I just post here.

There's some new drone footage on the Twit page but I don't know how to link Twit's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mad said:

Be interesting to see if the opinion of the crew end up forcing a change half way round or sooner. 

For sure it's very interesting for us all to see how this plays out :)  I guess they'll do just fine in the beginning, but they will struggle in all the in-port races cause they will really feel the lack of hands there,  and that will BUG their egos. After a couple of legs I predict that they'll suffer from more fatigue than teams with more crew. If they realize this or not, is another question. Maybe they'll just state that they are tougher than the rest and see no issues.

As to the question if any female sailor would join them, I can't see why not. It will be too tempting to decline!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that is how the camera moved, media guy on board. =)

I'm not entirely clear how VOR teams can switch up their configuration. Perhaps it's my reading comprehension, there is a provision to go from 7+0 to 7+1 but nothing else?
More fun is in the section 11 of the NOR Now up to 3 guests for a leg start, one of them for up to 3h. Then there is also the provision to carry one guest (VIP or media) the whole(!) leg. All teams are supposed to have 1 guest for the final leg.   Sounds like a fun. Maybe Clean can finally get his ride. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to confirm what several people think of my posts, it struck me (logging on to the tracker every15-20 minutes) that because most of the boats are now being sailed to produce the same performance, and with relatively steady wind conditions, it must be extremely difficult to keep a clear lane to sail your own race. I think that could be one reason for some of the tacks we've seen since about halfway to Lands End from Cowes until now. Plus before they rounded a couple of IMOCA 60s were giving the two leading VOR65s a bit of strife closing on them from windward, although it's hard to judge the distance on the tracker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scallywag look to have a bit more boatspeed than everyone else.

 

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.06.20 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

 

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.06.20 PM.png

Snapshot looks are tough on the watcher.  Saw TToP with 10.1 which was the fastest this moment was recorded.  This morning they had a front 4 even, 2 even in the middle with TToP in the back.  Now Dee seems to slowly be reeling the front in, and 11th has been slipping along with DF (albeit slightly).  AK is hitting a good stride and seems to be in a controlling position at the moment.


I'm going to be curious to see how Mapfre handles the tack.  Tack when other do and try to work back up to them and gain back distance or tack on their line and try to pull back.  They are not showing the same speed performance, that next gear this round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Southern that's VMG, YellowBrick shows BS on profile tag.

Hmm.  I'm not seeing Scally as having significantly more BS than others in the profile tag.  Screenshot? AKZ looking pretty sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Snapshot looks are tough on the watcher.  Saw TToP with 10.1 which was the fastest this moment was recorded.  This morning they had a front 4 even, 2 even in the middle with TToP in the back.  Now Dee seems to slowly be reeling the front in, and 11th has been slipping along with DF (albeit slightly).  AK is hitting a good stride and seems to be in a controlling position at the moment.


I'm going to be curious to see how Mapfre handles the tack.  Tack when other do and try to work back up to them and gain back distance or tack on their line and try to pull back.  They are not showing the same speed performance, that next gear this round.

Tracker is a 15min average, isn't it?

Slow left bend at the moment, but next shift should be post-frontal and building from the NW. Big righty coming, Mapfre exposed on the left if they can't find more pressure out there soon. GO MAPFRE!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point is, they are all going to have to cross sooner or later, because I just realized that there's a f-g traffic separation zone south of the Rock that wasn't there when I did it several times. The Rolex site isn't working, so I can't get the sailing instructions but it was always round the Rock leaving it to starboard. Going to get real interesting very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I think the point is, they are all going to have to cross sooner or later, because I just realized that there's a f-g traffic separation zone south of the Rock that wasn't there when I did it several times. The Rolex site isn't working, so I can't get the sailing instructions but it was always round the Rock leaving it to starboard. Going to get real interesting very soon.

That's correct. It used to be that they could go anywhere to get to the rock (leaving it to port, I thought) and then they had to leave some tiny buoy to port after rounding the rock on their way back. Our navigator out here has done a bunch of Fastnets and said it was a change in recent editions when the rule book started to include references to TSS zones. Now the Fastnet course says to leave the Fastnet TSS to port on your way to and back from the rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rat Pack said:

That's correct. It used to be that they could go anywhere to get to the rock (leaving it to port, I thought) and then they had to leave some tiny buoy to port after rounding the rock on their way back. Our navigator out here has done a bunch of Fastnets and said it was a change in recent editions when the rule book started to include references to TSS zones. Now the Fastnet course says to leave the Fastnet TSS to port on your way to and back from the rock.

Wow, now it's going to be 'thread the needle', which is actually more dangerous for the competitors than it used to be, and that was bad enough, and really scary at night with upwind and downwind boats crossing each other either side of the Rock depending on wind direction!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So depending on that shift, it it looks like YB is using GFS models, they could one tack it if they stay out, or put one in soon and hope the shift lifts them into the mark.  I switched windyty model to ECMWF and that one shows a little more pressure coming than GFS.  Seems by the time they turn it will be 10-15 and almost on the back.  It could be hard to pass most of the way back unless someone throws up more sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southerncross said:

Of all the new changes to come to the VOR, the mixed teams is the winner.  Seeing Sophie on the grinder and sitting on the rail with the guys just looks great.  

Love her upbeat, but competitive, attitude. The kind of person I'd want to sail with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Wow, now it's going to be 'thread the needle', which is actually more dangerous for the competitors than it used to be, and that was bad enough, and really scary at night with upwind and downwind boats crossing each other either side of the Rock depending on wind direction!!

No "threading the needle" at all.....

Leave the TSS to port on your way to the rock, leave the rock to port, leave the TSS to port on your way back from the rock. Consider the whole thing basically a five sided giant mark between the four corners of the TSS and the rock to the NW. Leave the whole thing to port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

YB using weather models???

YB is using windyty, windyty can show three different models as I understand it.  Eyeball comparing makes it looks like YB  is using GFS

NEMS    http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/txt_descriptions/NEMS_NMM_doc.shtml
ECMWF    http://weather.unisys.com/ecmwf/
GFS   https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/model-data/model-datasets/global-forcast-system-gfs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rat Pack said:

No "threading the needle" at all.....

Leave the TSS to port on your way to the rock, leave the rock to port, leave the TSS to port on your way back from the rock. Consider the whole thing basically a five sided giant mark between the four corners of the TSS and the rock to the NW. Leave the whole thing to port.

Hi Rat Pack, my apologies, I still had the previously customary starboard rounding in my mind's data base! Now it's basically leave the Rock and TSS to port and the TSS to port on leaving.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

On Scallywag: Remember, they have the "Azzam Boat", the Boat that won the VOR 2014/15. If that boat is properly sailed they eventually will make some gains. Once the Fleet reaches the Fastnet Rock it's going to be even more of a boatspeed contest with downwind towards UK again and then a reaching towards the finish and these vessels can reach pretty quick.

I don't like these guys but that's the way it is.

That's an odd statement for a OD fleet.  Now if you said that they had Ian Walker, or the ghost of Ian Walker on board I say having that boat might help.  AKN got a brand new one and it seems they have started to figure it out PDQ.  IF we're going to think that way, TToP got the Vestas hull so it may be smart of them to look out for rocks.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

I am pleased to see that Witty hasn't lost any of his cowboy instincts that have "enhanced" skiff sailing for so many years.

 

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

What have you driven to the start of a big offshore race other than your sister???

I am not sure how relevant that is when commenting on rule observance. Are you trying to suggest that International Jurors shouldn't rule on incidents unless they have raced that type of boat?

Let's get this straight. I have known Witty since he was about 16 and used to play golf with him. I would call him a cowboy to his face and he would have no defence. I bet he would actually laugh. We have seen it with the skiffs and we have seen it with the start of the S2H. Now we have seen it this start. I don't think it is a coincidence that as far as I can see, there were 2 port/starboard incidents near the start and both where involving him. With the German boat, it was probably understandable and maybe even unavoidable. With the other one, he simply dd not want to head back the other way and held his course. Maybe it wasn't his call, but as skipper, he is responsible for attitude and pushing things to the limit is his attitude. It's what makes him such good value and entertainment and why he can be such an amazing sailor but I don't think his temperament is suited to sailing big, powerful boats through crowded start lines.

Witty's biggest problem is coming to the game so late. His instincts will always be to go full bore, but he needs to learn the boat and build a crew. I hope and expect him to be pretty conservative early in the race but hopefully, by the southern ocean, he will be right up there and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get a 24 hour record. If they can catch it on camera, he could add to his collection of "greatest sailing videos ever"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

It seems an odd Statement but it is the right one. The Scallywag Crew has nowhere near the talent of the entire Abu Dhabi Crew. Abu Dhabi won the 2014/15 Race with this boat for a reason.

My goodness someone still believes in the Ghost of Christmas Past! Incredible in this day and age, particularly with a totally refitted boat and crew. Or are you a believer in boats having souls??? ADB won for a reason, that had nothing to do with the boat itself, it had all to do with the crew!! But never let a boat hear you say that's why they won!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

It seems an odd Statement but it is the right one. The Scallywag Crew has nowhere near the talent of the entire Abu Dhabi Crew. Abu Dhabi won the 2014/15 Race with this boat for a reason.

And... the reason is that they had a great skipper, and a great crew, and sailed the boat better, and were super-consistent, and knew when to push and when to save their energy. And there was probably a little luck in there, too.

Your statement (or at least your previous statement, 'On Scallywag: Remember, they have the "Azzam Boat", the Boat that won the VOR 2014/15. If that boat is properly sailed they eventually will make some gains.') seems to be implying that you think it's important for us to remember that they have the specific boat that won the last race. I take that to mean you think the boat itself has some kind of speed advantage over the other boats. Which I guess is possible? But if so, it's happening in spite of the best efforts of the designers and builders and owners to make the boats as even in performance as possible.

I think it's unlikely that the boat makes a significant difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, the MOD 70 is pulling 20 + knts.  Can they tie up in Plymouth before the last of the VO turns the corner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Meanwhile, the MOD 70 is pulling 20 + knts.  Can they tie up in Plymouth before the last of the VO turns the corner?

Come on now, that's like bringing a bazooka to a gun fight, and most likely yes.  Rambler seems on its way for line honors.  I don't follow these maxis, but is this another example of size doesn't matter?  I guess you need a stiff breeze to get these behemoths up and running.

Seems like Rambler is in a great spot, able to reach off a little more than Nikita and CQS so cpuld they hold off the monsters?  

Anyway, on the VOR side, As they converge, and I may stay up for this, all still have to point up, Mapfre, Brunel, Clean Seas a bit more, but maybe they can work some magic and close the gap.  I fear once they turn, passing lanes will be few.

I got to thinking about Scallywag.  In the 2014-15 race, after a while what we was witnessed was teams finishing really wrung out.  Skippers would talk about the stress of OD racing, the being in touch all the time taking a toll mentally, but also physically, because now you saw the competitor in real time.  From what I've gotten reading here, most of the crew of Scally and the skipper sail big boats that after a while, sail their "own" race, not pushed by other boats of the same class.  Lord knows I'll get corrected on this, but I ponder if he and his crew can handle the pressure that is this VOR race (not quals, the real thing).  Not sure about Akzonobel, but every other boat except SW has either been there done that, or they have crew/skipper who has.  What happens when they start leg two (leg one is just Fastnet 2.0) and see the other boats for many miles, when they can see them on AIS for many miles.

Even now they are slipping back and Dee's TToP has quietly started to snuggle back with the fleet.  Of course SC has talent, but I think Akzonobel (as a new team) is where it is, because they understand the long game, OD, and numbers.  I'm not counting TToP out at all and for all those DF fans, Mapfre is looking for the pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

@bucc5062  In RTW races, attrition is the name of the game (if that's what you mean).

Basically yes.  Not so much the failure of equipment or people, but in this case, the mindset.  If there is one thing watching the VG and the VOR, and being here, has taught me is that there is a long game to these races.  I think 5 of the teams get that and that's why they went they way they did.  Clean seas...not sure, but if Dee can whip them into shape she may prevail well, because even that one extra person can ease the load.

Seven guys, 7000+ miles, boats in clsoe contact and the understanding that this *is* the race....I'm not betting on them.  Put it another way, 5 teams embraced the whole OD concept since they have equal crew.  Dee went up, Witt went down, and between those two, we'll see how the experiment works out.

Mapfre is indeed pointing slightly higher so they are closing the gap on AKN and DF.  Same with Brunel and TToP.

The models on Windyty differ on pressure and wind direction as they close on the rock.  If I was the navigator on any of these boats this would be my line..."I picked the wrong day to stop drinking".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, theadmiralty said:

LOLing so much coz they can't even get past SMA! 

On the whole the IMOCA's hanging in there.  Boss struggling.  Expect things to change once they round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will could always up the ante and go for 8 blokes.

Not only they can take 1 VIP/media guest for whole legs this edition, as of right now that guest is not restricted from sailing in any way. Only restriction is that VOR is excessively unlikely to permit pro sailors and to pass the survival training. (Three. Two. One. NOR change! B) )

Actually this could be quite a bit of fun as long as it is an actual VIP/media person. Esp. if it is much about the message like TTT.

 

In other news CQS is still ahead of SMA and the VO65, they seem to hold together a lot better than in the last SH. Akzo is really trying to get SMA. Downwind should be a lot of fun. Hugo Boss should have brought a keg of beer as a prop along with a lawn chair. "Just cruising" works both ahead and far behind. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chasm said:

 

I fully expect BOSS to overtake the VO65s on the downwind leg! Place your bets and put your house on BOSS finishing infront of all the Volvos! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Clean seas...not sure, but if Dee can whip them into shape she may prevail well, because even that one extra person can ease the load.

Good grief, you doubter, give Dee the chance. She was, to skipper a VOR65. We don't know whether the 50/50 crew was a condition, and we probably never will, but two women and seven guys with one woman the skipper may not have been what VOR wanted. Given SCA's early performance after a years training, I'd say she's doing bloody well right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Good grief, you doubter, give Dee the chance. She was, to skipper a VOR65. We don't know whether the 50/50 crew was a condition, and we probably never will, but two women and seven guys with one woman the skipper may not have been what VOR wanted. Given SCA's early performance after a years training, I'd say she's doing bloody well right now.

Whoa...chill...I'm all in on TToP, but they did dig a hole and getting out of it, in this crowd....Given Dee's words in the recent past, I am going with the idea that she's doing team building right now.  Pressure on, Pressure off.  The race to Lisbon.  That one I'll be curious about, because it is the last best push of her team.  Were I a reporter I'd ask her regarding the big race, are you in or out.  Adventure or win this fucker.  I'm banking on win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, theadmiralty said:

I fully expect BOSS to overtake the VO65s on the downwind leg! Place your bets and put your house on BOSS finishing infront of all the Volvos! 

With 15 knts and enough miles ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

but they did dig a hole and getting out of it,

I'm not talking just about the Fastnet, she's still selecting crew g----t!

Meanwhile, someone please wave off SMA, he's f---g up the VOR65 leaders, presumably to clear his air, but he's so far ahead of his fleet, let the frigging leading VOR65 by!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I'm not talking just about the Fastnet, she's still selecting crew g----t!

Meanwhile, someone please wave off SMA, he's f---g up the VOR65 leaders, presumably to clear his air, but he's so far ahead of his fleet, let the frigging leading VOR65 by!!

Well, they do need to catch up to him and at the moment, he's not hurting my boys in the lead.  

Sure she's selecting crew and by the lisbon race she better have them.  I can accept Dee where she is right now if she's still testing the mettle of her crew, but at some point the gloves need to come off.  TToP has shown they can make speed, soon they need to show they can take it and the boat to the next level and that will be the moment when that boat is tight in the fleet, or leading like Akzonobel.  Go Dutch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

bucc,

MAPFRE is starting to lose out to AkzoNobel & Dongfeng. They have to do at leat 2 or 3 Tacks around the Fastnet Rock while Akzo and Dongers could reach them making just 1 Tack. Dongfeng has stepped up above Akzo.

ETA Finish

# 1 AkzoNobel August 9th 17.17 UTC

# 2 Dongfeng Race Team August 9th 17.47

# 3 MAPFRE August 9th 18.07

# 4 Scallyway August 9th 18.23

30 Minutes for a 600 nm Race is a lot between 1st and 2nd as is 20 Minutes between 2nd and 3rd.

 

Are well looking at the same thing?

Akzonobel still leads, but we see DF behind and above, Mapfre behind them and below, but there is no way Mapfre needs to do two tacks.  As I said before, the lead boats had to come down a little, Mapfre, Brunel and TToP had to come up and we are now seeing the fleet tighten and kind of compress.

When you consider they've been sailing over 350 miles, that there is just 10 nm front to back means this thing is still wide open.  They have @ 4 hours to the rock and my SWAG is that Mapfre will have eaten into AKN's lead and will be matched up with DF again.  Brunel will put some coals on to tighten this race and given I see Dee at 13 kts, she's not wanting to be a wall flower as this race enters into stage two.  SW will hold 3 or 4th, but anyone challenge him like it's not a VOR, but what this is, a regatta with bragging rights, he will fold or fuck up.

 

Capture11.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Keep on dreaming with MAPFRE :D

:lol: And so it begins.  As my boys are in the lead, I'm a happy guy.  As I see TToP reeling in the pack, still happy.  DF may not be the giants here, and while I was not so much a Mapre fan before, I'm a Sophie fan so I'll take Mapfre for second Alex (lol)

As it stands, I am loving all the action.  I may start a new job soon and it might reduce my VOR watching some, but if this is the type of battling we might see...hell of a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here ya go Dongfeng fans....beautiful shot

DGqKNQSXYAETz7P.jpg

Wait, is that Akzonobel way out there in front?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucc, your endless musings are tedious at best. STFU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I smell compression.  

We got Mapfre back in third and less pressure heading into the Rock  Oh this is good..

If I was TToP, I'd slowly climb over the line the front boats are taking than as the wind fades, put as much sail as I can up and have a better reach.  Use the pressure now so you can spend it later.  Same with Mapfre.  The two lead boats are focused on themselves and the line.  Now is the time to make a move.

eta:  ya think they are dogging it now?

Capture22.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites