• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

He He - I have to laugh at some of the uninformed comments on the forum.

In the last race DFRT were criticised for 4 sail reaching and now Mapfre are being praised for it - make your minds up guys.

But the comment by Bucc that Dongfeng had no heart had me falling off my chair and to follow up with the "fact" they could have passed Mapfre in the RTIOW sprint an didn't because they "have no heart". It was a practice race my dear boy, they were pacing Mapfre so took the opportunity to try a couple of things to see if it was faster or slower - it was slower. This is part of Leg 0, the real stuff starts in October.

The Fastnet Race is a bit different and already it is DFRT & Mapfre that appear to be the front runners but only just. It will be interesting to see the positions when I wake up in the morning (close to midnight race time when the first tidal gate will have been negotiated and the tide will have turned (and turned back) or maybe Dee's Southerly position will pay off further out into the channel - who knows.

Don't you remember the footage of Charles thumping the wheel or jumping down onto the cockpit floor in the last race, or the efforts he made to learn enough Chinese to say the right thing when they got to the stage in Sanya?

Mo Heart - that's so funny.

SS

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

He He - I have to laugh at some of the uninformed comments on the forum.

In the last race DFRT were criticised for 4 sail reaching and now Mapfre are being praised for it - make your minds up guys.

But the comment by Bucc that Dongfeng had no heart had me falling off my chair and to follow up with the "fact" they could have passed Mapfre in the RTIOW sprint an didn't because they "have no heart". It was a practice race my dear boy, they were pacing Mapfre so took the opportunity to try a couple of things to see if it was faster or slower - it was slower. This is part of Leg 0, the real stuff starts in October.

The Fastnet Race is a bit different and already it is DFRT & Mapfre that appear to be the front runners but only just. It will be interesting to see the positions when I wake up in the morning (close to midnight race time when the first tidal gate will have been negotiated and the tide will have turned (and turned back) or maybe Dee's Southerly position will pay off further out into the channel - who knows.

Don't you remember the footage of Charles thumping the wheel or jumping down onto the cockpit floor in the last race, or the efforts he made to learn enough Chinese to say the right thing when they got to the stage in Sanya?

Mo Heart - that's so funny.

SS

Okay, I did clarify so can you at least acknowledge that.  I didn't word it right initially and good lord, we all have favorites.  How they are presented, the public face...I don't connect to the team in the same as others, as you and since perception for many comes from what we see, I see a hell of a well sailed boat, yes I remember Black and Horace, but it took a long time for that story to emerge.  

Maybe it is the french way.  Following the VG it was much easier to cheer for HB, Coleman, a couple others, because I could relate in some way.  The front runner not so much.  Not questioning his ability to sail, but his ability to connect to the crowd.  

I've said my mea culpa, agree with everything you said, but my heart is for TToP and Askonobel and those two I hope do well.  They are hanging tough right now.  

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

bucc,

Be honest, did you really think Dongfeng Race Team would put every card on the Table for these Qualifying (Leg 0) Races? I still think they're holding back somewhat. Yes, these Boats are OD but depending on the configurations you can win or lose a lot. That's what happened with Dongfeng at the "Round the Island" Race.

That's an interesting take.  Would any team?  How much is at stake, image wise, vs what you learn playing.  Aknobel talked about throwing all kinds of sail plans up for the next "race" so perhaps none of them are taking it serious as a "gotta win".  I just saw that Mapfre tacked over and yb has them as leader so at what point to you stop testing and start hitting the pedal.  It is a level of sophistication above my scale for when I raced, I didn't hold back.  

At last check the spread front to back was @ 1.3 miles so if DF is pushing harder this time, so too is everyone else.  As a side note, Mapfre AIS is not sending for I can see the other six and it seems yb is slightly behind Marinetraffic (I see DF and AKN have now tacked) and Brunel and TToP remain heading out.  Certainly not all playing follow the leader

Nobody gains anything by winning this race except a bit of a bit of sponsor glory (which isn't to be sneezed at.)

But these races are the first time the boats have come together.  Tactically, learning everything you can sailing in the fleet has to be top priority. Minimally you have a chance to see how your setups are working against the other boats.  Which of course cuts both ways.   But you would want to be pretty confident about how good you were to be sandbagging. You stifle your own ability to learn. 

Some teams are going to be learning fast, as the latecomers are still getting to grips with the boat and their crew.  There are times when every team will want to push as hard as they can, as they will be learning when they do.  And there will be other times when it makes more sense to look about them, and pace things accordingly, and learn other things.

I'm sure that winning is something everyone wants, and they will all be in race mode.  But at this early stage, I would hope that the broader picture would dominate thinking.

Hm. Turn the Tide on Plastic appears to be off the back of the group in the tracker. Did something happen to them?

59874b64ab2d3_ScreenShot2017-08-06at9_59_32AM.thumb.png.eacf778d564d9de9c25b218b5043519d.png

Eh; I just updated and they're looking a lot closer. I think it's probably just a combination of them being toward the back (which is understandable, given their program at this point) and the tracker updates being staggered/laggy:

59874c8faadcd_ScreenShot2017-08-06at10_03_58AM.thumb.png.0d032fca5e4e68df4342e5eabc8afba3.png

Edited by jbc
update with latest screenshot

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I can't seem to get onto the Fastnet page or tracker, now.  Anyone else having an issue?

The official site's tracker wasn't working for me, so I'm using this one:

http://cf.yb.tl/fastnet2017

The Fastnet page has been dead all day for me, the YB tracker works.

TTT falling behind and going more south. We'll see how that works out once the rest has to tack. Call it 3nm behind the pack at 18h15

Great footage off Vestas from shortly after the start. Short-tacking through the Solent on these boats is bananas! It looks like a port/starboard violation at one point; I thought there was another such violation in the footage I was looking at earlier with all the start-line shouting on Scallywag (which, yeah; I get what you guys have been saying about them).

But that made me wonder: what are the rules in a race like this these days for something like a port-starboard violation? I can't imagine the penalty would be retirement after a post-race protest hearing. Do they do time penalties? Or do they all just be grown-ups about it and refrain from protesting as long as the transgressor isn't being a dick or blatantly taking advantage?

Here's the video of all the screaming aboard Scallywag. I know there are people who think that's the right way to race a boat, but my own experience has been that if there's yelling going on it's a sign of people making it up as they go, where a more polished team just quietly goes about their business. Not to say there hasn't been a fair amount of yelling (sometimes by me) on boats I've raced. But it's not the ideal; more a response to problems. And problems aren't fast.

I think the ideal is more like what it looked like on ETNZ while winning the Cup: eery silence.

I'll admit it though: yelling is entertaining to watch:

Hm... Yelling is one thing. Yelling different commands is another.

Skip: How long?
Nav: 20 (sec)
Skip: Wind it up!
Nav: Slower! Slower!

What a box of fun.

Well, y'all got me confused now for is TToP testing ,strategizing , or playing possum.  To my eye it looks like Dee was trading a little speed for more upwind position (more south).  The fleet has to tack towards her so.....a left shift would really help TToP, but seems a gamble.

I'm also following the IMOCA fleet and boy did SMA go in close.  It does seem that the VO65s are playing a slow catch up on that IMOCA fleet.

15 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

And they told DFRT.  All they get on the boat when driving are a set of warning lights that tell the helmsman they hit the red zone. Little more than a "please back off" warning.  Trouble with those is they become a target, and a helmsman might decide to drive hard enough to just have the lights flickering on.

Hi Francis, just a short quote of your excellent explanation of why things are the way they are to thank you for taking the time to explain to someone who asks questions so that they can learn more about the boats and crews that are the subject of this forum.  Others just respond as if I am an idiot, which I am not.

Meanwhile, back at the Fastnet, there's a hell of a gradient around Start Point, which the VOR fleet will shortly experience, and the leading IMOCA 60 is making good use of it (2.5 knots faster than boats much further offshore. As the tide will shortly turn, the extra knots will hopefully help it get out and away.

43 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Looks like that was filmed off a Fairey Swordsman 37.  Fairey Marine built some truly fantastic boats.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

65285724.jpg

2 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

So which position do you like the most?

Dee's, Charles or Xabis.

Charles is in a strong position, but not knowing tides or local conditions, I'd not commit.  Clearly a strong contest up front, but boy I'd love a mic on Dee to see what her thinking is.  They have stayed more outside much of this race.  The IMOCAs went further south so could there be a tide moment, a wind change?  As a racer I'd want to be on Charles' boat, as a fan, Dee's, as a reporter, on Mapfre, because I'd ask, do you have the next gear and if so, when do you shift?

At 7:19... Did Scallywag foul the starboard boat.  It sure looked like it.  The starboard tacked over as did Scally back to startboard, but that looked close from this angle.

46 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

but boy I'd love a mic on Dee to see what her thinking is.

I'm with you, she could just be playing it simple (far fewer tacks) while seeing how the crew do or just being real canny. Still way too early to tell. Witt is the only one taking a flyer at the moment. We'll see how that plays out.   

7 hours ago, jbc said:

Great footage off Vestas from shortly after the start. Short-tacking through the Solent on these boats is bananas! It looks like a port/starboard violation at one point; I thought there was another such violation in the footage I was looking at earlier with all the start-line shouting on Scallywag (which, yeah; I get what you guys have been saying about them).

But that made me wonder: what are the rules in a race like this these days for something like a port-starboard violation? I can't imagine the penalty would be retirement after a post-race protest hearing. Do they do time penalties? Or do they all just be grown-ups about it and refrain from protesting as long as the transgressor isn't being a dick or blatantly taking advantage?

If you're talking 0:51  -- Scallywag looks like she's pinned by Brunel to windward -- and maybe can't call for room to tack as Brunel is too close to the moorings (continuous obstruction) to windward of them. Can't tell, due lens / zoom compression.  On the other hand, he's not known as F. Witt for nothing.

6 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

If you're talking 0:51  -- Scallywag looks like she's pinned by Brunel to windward -- and maybe can't call for room to tack as Brunel is too close to the moorings (continuous obstruction) to windward of them. Can't tell, due lens / zoom compression.  On the other hand, he's not known as F. Witt for nothing.

I withdraw that -- look at 7:22 on the start Vid. Scallywag had plenty of room to tack behind Brunel.

How to make friends and influence people in the VO fleet - by D. Witt.

The navigator on Rambler 88 is either a genius or a knucklehead. As I write this they are all alone up north of the fleet and right inshore. Soon they will have to tack out to the south and punch into the chop close hauled while all of the IMOCA 60s will be approaching them on a reach.

" A courageous decision " as the Brits would say. Things will soon get interesting.

Hugo Boss is getting clobbered.

10 hours ago, jbc said:

Here's the video of all the screaming aboard Scallywag. I know there are people who think that's the right way to race a boat, but my own experience has been that if there's yelling going on it's a sign of people making it up as they go, where a more polished team just quietly goes about their business. Not to say there hasn't been a fair amount of yelling (sometimes by me) on boats I've raced. But it's not the ideal; more a response to problems. And problems aren't fast.

I think the ideal is more like what it looked like on ETNZ while winning the Cup: eery silence.

completely agree jbc - "A quiet boat is a quick boat"

6 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

At 7:19... Did Scallywag foul the starboard boat.  It sure looked like it.  The starboard tacked over as did Scally back to startboard, but that looked close from this angle.

Looked to me that Scallywag was not "Tack complete" before the the other boat (German I think had t start heading up. Kind of conformed y the onboard footage of Scallywag.

Also on the Facebook feed they say that SW owes them some beers for that manouver

SS

Scallywag reportedly have 8 of their declared volvo race crew on board for the fastnet even though they declared only 7 on the fastnet crew list as posted on the volvo site .... the 8th being the hk chinese token come back up navigator is rumored to be on board as the VIP guest ... here he is in the red jacket ... listening and learning ...

scallwag 8th crew.jpg

Are they in distress Wittless? Surely the Hong Kong flag has the single flower petal pointing upwards to the sky, not down to the ground (or water)

Perhaps with 8 declared crew on board (whatever they told the organisers he was) might cause a little distress come Plymouth?

SS

1 hour ago, wittless said:

Scallywag reportedly have 8 of their declared volvo race crew on board for the fastnet even though they declared only 7 on the fastnet crew list as posted on the volvo site .... the 8th being the hk chinese token come back up navigator is rumored to be on board as the VIP guest ... here he is in the red jacket ... listening and learning ...

scallwag 8th crew.jpg

A 1st post ..stick it into Witt troll..fuck off you turnip.

3 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

I am pleased to see that Witty hasn't lost any of his cowboy instincts that have "enhanced" skiff sailing for so many years.

What have you driven to the start of a big offshore race other than your sister???

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

What have you driven to the start of a big offshore race other than your sister???

And what have you driven to the start of a big offshore race Jack?

SS

A 1st post ..stick it into Witt troll..fuck off you turnip.

Have you got a little man crush on Witty? 

18 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

MAN, what a Turnaround. Biggest goal for Dongfeng for: Beat the Spaniards on MAPFRE. Pascal once again made on of the best Navigators Joan Vila look average.

Hard to tell from this shitty YB tracker but it looked like Mapfre may have had some issues to drop back in the fleet as far as they did.  Not to take anything away from Pascal.

21 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

MAN, what a Turnaround. Biggest goal for Dongfeng for: Beat the Spaniards on MAPFRE. Pascal once again made on of the best Navigators Joan Vila look average.

Go Dutch!!  I guess teams are still just experimenting (lol).  Words adn timing are two objects you don't want to mess with.  Not even halfway...things can happen.  I'm hoping TToP is positioned because of a green and just picked crew.  They have moments, but very hard to play catch up without doing something drastic.

Of all the new changes to come to the VOR, the mixed teams is the winner.  Seeing Sophie on the grinder and sitting on the rail with the guys just looks great.  

Which boat I'd rather be on? Cochise 10 of course, almost at the rock. ;) 

Akzo in front, TTT now 6nm behind. Lead pack is with 1.5nm of each other.

Some random observations....

Couldn't help by notice the VO65s caught and passed almost all of the IMOCAs.  Wind angle?  Speed?  Single vs crew?  Perhaps those IMOCAs are not the best thing since sliced bread.

It struck me that in the IRC0 groups, there was a VO70.  Wow, but it must be putting a hurt on those slow assed VO65.....oh wait...nope.  Maybe size doesn't matter all the time.  Especially when a few 60s and under are ahead of mister pokey.

Can you believe it, CLEAN must be having orgasms...why those multi's are making the monohulls look like....damn...really, the VO65s passed them?  Man you got to love multihull speed.  Granted, Concise 10 is making a fool of everyone else, but then that boat looks like it's moving mach 5 at anchor.

I guess this shows that we all can have our favorite types, we can all have pinups of boats that gives us a woody, but to hold one up and say "This is the best" is just not true.  Certainly races like Fastnet, where we get to see a vast variety of boats, gives everyone a chance to see how boats perform in various conditions.

Last thought, when you turn YB on for all boats, man what a clusterfuck is going on in the back.  Sailing through that at night, lookouts would seem mandatory.

(In case you don't get it, tongue in cheek humor for a monday)

5 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Some random observations....

Couldn't help by notice the VO65s caught and passed almost all of the IMOCAs.  Wind angle?  Speed?  Single vs crew?  Perhaps those IMOCAs are not the best thing since sliced bread.

It struck me that in the IRC0 groups, there was a VO70.  Wow, but it must be putting a hurt on those slow assed VO65.....oh wait...nope.  Maybe size doesn't matter all the time.  Especially when a few 60s and under are ahead of mister pokey.

Can you believe it, CLEAN must be having orgasms...why those multi's are making the monohulls look like....damn...really, the VO65s passed them?  Man you got to love multihull speed.  Granted, Concise 10 is making a fool of everyone else, but then that boat looks like it's moving mach 5 at anchor.

I guess this shows that we all can have our favorite types, we can all have pinups of boats that gives us a woody, but to hold one up and say "This is the best" is just not true.  Certainly races like Fastnet, where we get to see a vast variety of boats, gives everyone a chance to see how boats perform in various conditions.

Last thought, when you turn YB on for all boats, man what a clusterfuck is going on in the back.  Sailing through that at night, lookouts would seem mandatory.

(In case you don't get it, tongue in cheek humor for a monday)

Bucc,  Having followed the entire Vendee, what are the IMOCA's designed for?  Or was this tongue and cheek too?  Are you missing SMA?

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Bucc,  Having followed the entire Vendee, what are the IMOCA's designed for?  Or was this tongue and cheek too?  Are you missing SMA?

Good lord do you guys got any humor.  Of course I see SMA :rolleyes:

Caught this video from TToP.  They seem pretty laid back.  At the moment it looks like they stopped bleeding distance and are roughly matching the pack.

That explains a lot.

Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag caught up with the pack after rounding Land’s End by joining Vestas 11th Hour racing in a daring move to sail down a 260-metre wide channel in between the Longships rocks. MAPFRE and Brunel chose a more conservative route closer to the mainland shore but got caught in lighter winds and dropped two positions.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9820_AkzoNobel-lead-after-series-of-Fastnet-gambles.html

Looking like a slow motion drag race, but what an opportunity to speed test.  Next up, who pulls the trigger first and when.  It looks like they are already above SMA's line.  Looking at Windyty there is a shift (coming more from the north) so do you time for maybe one tack or stay more mid course with a couple more tacks.

Capturea.JPG

Bucc, along with Alinghi, I am an obvious fan of Dongfeng - coz I know the guys but not only is Dee a good sailor - that goes without saying - she is also a good skipper and having spent time chatting to her while waiting for a flight to Gothenburg last year she alright. I don't mean that in any other way other than she has no side to her, if she has an ego it was kept well hidden and she clearly loves our sport. She has a green crew - in terms of sailing together - and I sincerely hope that this "social experiment" as someone called it works out for all the crews, for sailing and for women's sailing in particular.

I also agree in that she has not only stopped bleeding miles, they are gradually (very gradually) coming back at the fleet.

The big switch round over the last few hours has been the Hong Kong entry with their dash up the Longships Channel.

It will be interesting to see who flops over onto Stb first but I am sure the naviguessers will be conscious of the wind modelling showing the breeze backing closer to the Irish coast. On what YB is showing another 30 miles then tack but I freely admit I am no Pascall.

I reckon order at the Rock will be the Akzo, Dongers, Vestas then I suspect Mapfre will regain her slot from HK

They don't make it easy to shut down the tracker and head to one's scratcher that's for sure (1 hour to midnight here in China)

SS

It will be interesting to see who flops over onto Stb first but I am sure the naviguessers will be conscious of the wind modelling showing the breeze backing closer to the Irish coast. On what YB is showing another 30 miles then tack but I freely admit I am no Pascall.

(SS)

We wait no more.  Mapfe and Brunel decided to stop playing follow the leader.  I wonder if TToP will flop as well.  I think the YB updates every 6 minutes, so it will be interesting to see the rest of the fleets reactions.

11 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

We wait no more.  Mapfe and Brunel decided to stop playing follow the leader.  I wonder if TToP will flop as well.  I think the YB updates every 6 minutes, so it will be interesting to see the rest of the fleets reactions.

That's quite a header they have tacked into - we wait and see :-)

Part of a good offshore crew tryout is how they react when we're behind or losing miles. Many good Olympian sailors have found offshore sailing difficult to transition to because the mentality has to be different or you'll drive your team crazy. 

8 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

That's quite a header they have tacked into - we wait and see :-)

I guess they heard you, two tacked back, maybe Dee did after the YB update.  Mapfre held on longer.

21 hours ago, jbc said:

I almost can't recall a single race start when there wasn't any screaming. I can't really see anything strange about this, the team is new and there's a lot at stake, I think it looks quite normal for an event like this.

2 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I almost can't recall a single race start when there wasn't any screaming. I can't really see anything strange about this, the team is new and there's a lot at stake, I think it looks quite normal for an event like this.

How do you feel about the "social experiment" views from Witty?

1 minute ago, mad said:

How do you feel about the "social experiment" views from Witty?

I think the views are an ugly hand gesture to both female sailors and to his crew, thinking they would lose their focus if there were females on the team.

I hope they regret the decision, but that will never be said out loud.

2 minutes ago, Puntone said:

Fu..ng tracker !!!!! One more time dead .

Use the yellow brick tracker. 

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

I think the views are an ugly hand gesture to both female sailors and to his crew, thinking they would lose their focus if there were females on the team.

I hope they regret the decision, but that will never be said out loud.

Can he change his mind and revise the crew mix? And more to the point how many women would be keen to go with them? 

And want to stay on for the whole race?! 

Just now, mad said:

Can he change his mind and revise the crew mix? And more to the point how many women would be keen to go with them? 

The teams can change the configuration for each leg. I think there's a rule saying that for each leg, the crew must participate in the inshore race before the start, or something.

But for this particular team I reckon their backups will be male.

26 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Great drone shots.  I guess every OBR now has a drone and some training?   That one moment, with Brunel in the background sails flapping, ugh, hate those conditions.

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

The teams can change the configuration for each leg. I think there's a rule saying that for each leg, the crew must participate in the inshore race before the start, or something.

But for this particular team I reckon their backups will be male.

Be interesting to see if the opinion of the crew end up forcing a change half way round or sooner. 

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Southern. Is that the first time we have seen someone post some drone footage?

Hell if I know?  I just post here.

There's some new drone footage on the Twit page but I don't know how to link Twit's.

Just now, mad said:

Be interesting to see if the opinion of the crew end up forcing a change half way round or sooner. 

For sure it's very interesting for us all to see how this plays out :)  I guess they'll do just fine in the beginning, but they will struggle in all the in-port races cause they will really feel the lack of hands there,  and that will BUG their egos. After a couple of legs I predict that they'll suffer from more fatigue than teams with more crew. If they realize this or not, is another question. Maybe they'll just state that they are tougher than the rest and see no issues.

As to the question if any female sailor would join them, I can't see why not. It will be too tempting to decline!

And that is how the camera moved, media guy on board. =)

I'm not entirely clear how VOR teams can switch up their configuration. Perhaps it's my reading comprehension, there is a provision to go from 7+0 to 7+1 but nothing else?
More fun is in the section 11 of the NOR Now up to 3 guests for a leg start, one of them for up to 3h. Then there is also the provision to carry one guest (VIP or media) the whole(!) leg. All teams are supposed to have 1 guest for the final leg.   Sounds like a fun. Maybe Clean can finally get his ride. ;) 

Just to confirm what several people think of my posts, it struck me (logging on to the tracker every15-20 minutes) that because most of the boats are now being sailed to produce the same performance, and with relatively steady wind conditions, it must be extremely difficult to keep a clear lane to sail your own race. I think that could be one reason for some of the tacks we've seen since about halfway to Lands End from Cowes until now. Plus before they rounded a couple of IMOCA 60s were giving the two leading VOR65s a bit of strife closing on them from windward, although it's hard to judge the distance on the tracker.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scallywag look to have a bit more boatspeed than everyone else.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.06.20 PM.png

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.06.20 PM.png

Snapshot looks are tough on the watcher.  Saw TToP with 10.1 which was the fastest this moment was recorded.  This morning they had a front 4 even, 2 even in the middle with TToP in the back.  Now Dee seems to slowly be reeling the front in, and 11th has been slipping along with DF (albeit slightly).  AK is hitting a good stride and seems to be in a controlling position at the moment.

I'm going to be curious to see how Mapfre handles the tack.  Tack when other do and try to work back up to them and gain back distance or tack on their line and try to pull back.  They are not showing the same speed performance, that next gear this round.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Southern that's VMG, YellowBrick shows BS on profile tag.

Hmm.  I'm not seeing Scally as having significantly more BS than others in the profile tag.  Screenshot? AKZ looking pretty sharp.

4 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Snapshot looks are tough on the watcher.  Saw TToP with 10.1 which was the fastest this moment was recorded.  This morning they had a front 4 even, 2 even in the middle with TToP in the back.  Now Dee seems to slowly be reeling the front in, and 11th has been slipping along with DF (albeit slightly).  AK is hitting a good stride and seems to be in a controlling position at the moment.

I'm going to be curious to see how Mapfre handles the tack.  Tack when other do and try to work back up to them and gain back distance or tack on their line and try to pull back.  They are not showing the same speed performance, that next gear this round.

Tracker is a 15min average, isn't it?

Slow left bend at the moment, but next shift should be post-frontal and building from the NW. Big righty coming, Mapfre exposed on the left if they can't find more pressure out there soon. GO MAPFRE!!

I think the point is, they are all going to have to cross sooner or later, because I just realized that there's a f-g traffic separation zone south of the Rock that wasn't there when I did it several times. The Rolex site isn't working, so I can't get the sailing instructions but it was always round the Rock leaving it to starboard. Going to get real interesting very soon.

2 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I think the point is, they are all going to have to cross sooner or later, because I just realized that there's a f-g traffic separation zone south of the Rock that wasn't there when I did it several times. The Rolex site isn't working, so I can't get the sailing instructions but it was always round the Rock leaving it to starboard. Going to get real interesting very soon.

That's correct. It used to be that they could go anywhere to get to the rock (leaving it to port, I thought) and then they had to leave some tiny buoy to port after rounding the rock on their way back. Our navigator out here has done a bunch of Fastnets and said it was a change in recent editions when the rule book started to include references to TSS zones. Now the Fastnet course says to leave the Fastnet TSS to port on your way to and back from the rock.

3 minutes ago, Rat Pack said:

That's correct. It used to be that they could go anywhere to get to the rock (leaving it to port, I thought) and then they had to leave some tiny buoy to port after rounding the rock on their way back. Our navigator out here has done a bunch of Fastnets and said it was a change in recent editions when the rule book started to include references to TSS zones. Now the Fastnet course says to leave the Fastnet TSS to port on your way to and back from the rock.

Wow, now it's going to be 'thread the needle', which is actually more dangerous for the competitors than it used to be, and that was bad enough, and really scary at night with upwind and downwind boats crossing each other either side of the Rock depending on wind direction!!

So depending on that shift, it it looks like YB is using GFS models, they could one tack it if they stay out, or put one in soon and hope the shift lifts them into the mark.  I switched windyty model to ECMWF and that one shows a little more pressure coming than GFS.  Seems by the time they turn it will be 10-15 and almost on the back.  It could be hard to pass most of the way back unless someone throws up more sail.

6 hours ago, southerncross said:

Of all the new changes to come to the VOR, the mixed teams is the winner.  Seeing Sophie on the grinder and sitting on the rail with the guys just looks great.  

Love her upbeat, but competitive, attitude. The kind of person I'd want to sail with.

19 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Wow, now it's going to be 'thread the needle', which is actually more dangerous for the competitors than it used to be, and that was bad enough, and really scary at night with upwind and downwind boats crossing each other either side of the Rock depending on wind direction!!

No "threading the needle" at all.....

Leave the TSS to port on your way to the rock, leave the rock to port, leave the TSS to port on your way back from the rock. Consider the whole thing basically a five sided giant mark between the four corners of the TSS and the rock to the NW. Leave the whole thing to port.