• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

With a few exceptions VOR sponsor opportunities rely very heavily on senior management already having an interest in or some connection, even tenuous with offshore sailing and even then its a hard sell in terms of ROI. That limitation, this CEO gap, the timing of the VG sucking some air out the opportunities window etc etc makes what already is a tough gig even harder for those trying to kick start an entry. Someone needs to pull a CEO rabbit out of hat pronto and get cracking, otherwise a delayed start might become inevitable.

• Downvote 1

Abu Dhabi pretty much tapped-out a while back no? Their stopover will go to Oman.

There's been some movement there...don't count Abu Dhabi out just yet.

I hope they do another round- I enjoyed the stop over (except for the no booze day!).

Not sure how many of the IMOCA sailors care about the "ocean masters champioship", but they're clearly trying to get more continuity to keep the fans happy.

Given that there already is a handful of transats and 600's, then maybe there should be a crewed ocean racing series too with VOR as the pinnacle.

It doesn't look good for the future of the VOR.

Where is the CEO? Where are the new sponsors?

Where are the new teams officially?

Only things that is certain are the stop overs, and the VOR 65 class.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route.html

Some of the stopovers are certain already, but there will be more. Martin Stromberg and Anna-Lena Elled said in an interview at a boat show last weekend that they think the route will take the boats into the southern ocean more than the last edition. They both seemed very excited about it. So am I :D

I'll be plenty disappointed if they wont have a stop over at the south Georgia and the south sandwich islands or Heard and McDonald Islands.

Some of the stopovers are certain already, but there will be more. Martin Stromberg and Anna-Lena Elled said in an interview at a boat show last weekend that they think the route will take the boats into the southern ocean more than the last edition. They both seemed very excited about it. So am I :D

Anne Lena is a big contribution to the sport. She was OBR aboard SCA wasn't she?

post-17796-0-99959300-1455188454_thumb.jpg

post-17796-0-81688300-1455188477.jpg

Martin Stromberg was aboard Groupama during their win in 2011/12

And aboard Dong Feng in the last episode as second man, watch leader, helmsman aside Charles Chaudrielier.

dongfeng__140811_dfg_riou_349.jpg

Anne Lena is a big contribution to the sport. She was OBR aboard SCA wasn't she?

attachicon.gifAnne Lena F18-Worlds-2015-12-07-2015-Kiel-Germany-7698.jpg

attachicon.gifAnne Lena 2.jpg

Martin Stromberg was aboard Groupama during their win in 2011/12

And aboard Dong Feng in the last episode as second man, watch leader, helmsman aside Charles Chaudrielier.

dongfeng__140811_dfg_riou_349.jpg

Thanks for the info, I had no clue about who they are.

If there will be the stopover in Brazil I expect to have a boat from there... Don't you think?

If there will be the stopover in Brazil I expect to have a boat from there... Don't you think?

They had a stopover in Brazil last time around, but no Brazilian boat.....so that's not a given. But it would be nice :)

They had a stopover in Brazil last time around, but no Brazilian boat.....so that's not a given. But it would be nice :)

Well they might as well try and make up for the 'sailors in sewage' fiasco that's coming up.

Well they might as well try and make up for the 'sailors in sewage' fiasco that's coming up.

They are so completely corrupt in every way....it's in their veins. Been their 8 times and seen it for myself. So yes, they might actually do that. Some money are exchanged, a few threats, and suddenly Banco de Brasil is sponsoring a Brazilian team. I wouldn't be surprised.

Corporate Brazil is motherless broke, componded by an Olympic hangover. They will be lucky to scratch together the cash to pay for a VOR stopover.

ditto!!!

Just anounced that North Sails have kept hold of the sail supply gig for the next VOR.....things are rolling on CEO or no CEO.

....wow,, good to hear something's going on :mellow:

so, pretty interesting news. He mentions a stopover in HK, too. Boat & stopover then. Bye bye Sanya.

It is likely anyhow that this is all early stage, i.e. still looking for sponsors. So nothing fixed until it is signed. And nothing shall happen until a CEO is found. No idea who could be leading the negotiations now without Knut and Touber. Karin Backlund?? Bice? Mason?

Karin and the Spanish CFO (forget his name) can run a lot of this on her own while things stay relatively quiet. I'm working on getting Bice in the studio for three hours for one of the first few Sailing Anarchy podcasts.

was serious? link?

I spoke to Witty here: https://youtu.be/JHwVsUDg0xE (second last interview)

But no mention of VOR. Might have been joking.

Hey Jack. Where do you get the Rags 100 news. I must have missed it.

https://youtu.be/JHwVsUDg0xE

Abu Dhabi pretty much tapped-out a while back no? Their stopover will go to Oman.

There's been some movement there...don't count Abu Dhabi out just yet.

I hope they do another round- I enjoyed the stop over (except for the no booze day!).

me too. although I'd prefer AD now obviously ;)

So there's no chance of avoiding the Arab states altogether?

That's a pity.

I absolutely hate the legs from SA to there, such a waste when you could be heading through the southern ocean to OZ like the more traditional route

Schakel, you should read a little better. Also in these two articles is stated clearly that he is leaving soon.

I found it

Over here he says: .Voor Touber is de presentatie ‘het laatste kunstje’ in zijn functie als racedirecteur. In januari van dit jaar kondigde hij zijn afscheid aan, om zich te kunnen richten op een Nederlandse campagne.

Also noteworthy in the TV-interview (in Dutch) at the bottom of the page here, Bouwe is looking forward to be skipper for what would be his 8th race. And the chances for a Dutch boat have improved with The Hague being the finish in the fall of 2017. But to be confirmed yet. Anyway, I will be there at the finish :D

Worst kept secret in ocean racing.

Probably but I honestly think the last person to know that Mark was taking the job was Mark...

It's no poisoned chalice- It's the biggest job in the sport that involves an actual sailing race (ie. not the crock of shit that the AC has become and is set to remain for the foreseeable future). The teams will come, they just need time. There's an economic recovery happening and there has been enough interest in the last two editions to make it a sure thing that it will be a success IMO

It's no poisoned chalice- It's the biggest job in the sport that involves an actual sailing race (ie. not the crock of shit that the AC has become and is set to remain for the foreseeable future). The teams will come, they just need time. There's an economic recovery happening and there has been enough interest in the last two editions to make it a sure thing that it will be a success IMO

hope you are right, but not so sure. This is a Volvo owned event. For them, it works extremely well. Exposure, reach, B2B activation and exciting values for a boring but reliable brand. For the team sponsors it is definitely (still) not working as we can infer from the lack of continuity of their sponsorship. (If it worked for them, they would come back, right?). Mark created possibly the only commercially viable sailing platform out there, the ExSS. With the backing of Volvo and his experience, he is indeed the best qualified candidate to make this event a top one again, for fans and sponsors. (and let's hope they drop the Middle East detour!)

On the team front, let's recap the status:

- Dutch (Bouwe): working on potential sponsors via the Caribbean races. Looking very plausible with the finish in The Hague

- Magenta: no idea. Active via their M32? team

- USA (Charlie/Mark): no idea. Activation via 11 hour

- Spanish (Campos/Iker): likely as the tax benefits for Spanish companies still apply

- Vestas: they wanted to decide by E2015... maybe they did and we don't know?

- Abu Dhabi (Walker): decision was supposed to happen in 1Q2016... anyone?

- Chinese/Honk-Kong: hints via Witt that it could be happening

- Swedish: rumors

As usual, it is going to be quite intense work for Mark & the VOR team to secure 7-8 teams for the next edition. As they say, it is more difficult to get to the starting line than the race itself.

The other issue now is that there is little incentive for teams to activate until much closer to the start of the race. In the past you had to design and build your boat, so you had to start by now. With the VO65s you don't need to get started until the middle of next year. I wouldn't expect sponsors that may have already decided to go ahead to tell us about it yet. There is no reason and it will only increase their costs. Better to concentrate on getting all sorted out behind the scenes at this stage.

Also, as the VO65s are going to get a refit/upgrade later this year there is not much benefot from crew training now in the existing boats. better to wait until you knwo the route and the sail package first.

Mark hasn't been associated with many organisational failures so I am hoping the fact he has taken it on means that behind the scenes there is some action going on. Whatever, but there must be some well kept secrets amongs sponsors.

Re: Bouwe. I wonder if the people he was talking to at the Loro Piana really cares much about ocean dinghy racing. I assume they would be more interested if they were sailing 140 feet megayachts in the VOR

What's a Spinlocker Schakel?

It's a trading firm for all kind of nautical equipement.https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/load-analysis/product_groups/rig-sense

Named after modern cleats for lines for trim, spinakker, gennacker, halyards.1667-XAS0612_1.jpg?1387411815

But you could have googled that yourself.XAS0615_3_ROPE.jpg?1387401667

iWKad22.jpg

Sigh.

Don't worry, This is for fun. I bet afterwards you knew what spinlocks are. I call them line stoppers. Spinlock is a tradename just like Zodiak is one brand of Rubber Inflatable Boats.

Loved Mark's open communication style with DFRT in the last VOR. The emotions of skipper Caudrelier in his blogs grabbed me. That's what the race needs to survive. Connect to the people, then the sponsors come to pay for the teams. My 2 cts.

It's a trading firm for all kind of nautical equipement.https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/load-analysis/product_groups/rig-sense

Named after modern cleats for lines for trim, spinakker, gennacker, halyards.1667-XAS0612_1.jpg?1387411815

iWKad22.jpg

Sigh.

Don't worry, This is for fun. I bet afterwards you knew what spinlocks are. I call them line stoppers. Spinlock is a tradename just like Zodiak is one brand of Rubber Inflatable Boats.

I am lost for words

iWKad22.jpg

Sigh.

I am lost for words

Will you guys stop playing with the village idiot? It just makes it worse.

hope you are right, but not so sure. This is a Volvo owned event. For them, it works extremely well. Exposure, reach, B2B activation and exciting values for a boring but reliable brand. For the team sponsors it is definitely (still) not working as we can infer from the lack of continuity of their sponsorship. (If it worked for them, they would come back, right?). Mark created possibly the only commercially viable sailing platform out there, the ExSS. With the backing of Volvo and his experience, he is indeed the best qualified candidate to make this event a top one again, for fans and sponsors. (and let's hope they drop the Middle East detour!)

On the team front, let's recap the status:

- Dutch (Bouwe): working on potential sponsors via the Caribbean races. Looking very plausible with the finish in The Hague

- Magenta: no idea. Active via their M32? team

- USA (Charlie/Mark): no idea. Activation via 11 hour

- Spanish (Campos/Iker): likely as the tax benefits for Spanish companies still apply

- Vestas: they wanted to decide by E2015... maybe they did and we don't know?

- Abu Dhabi (Walker): decision was supposed to happen in 1Q2016... anyone?

- Chinese/Honk-Kong: hints via Witt that it could be happening

- Swedish: rumors

As usual, it is going to be quite intense work for Mark & the VOR team to secure 7-8 teams for the next edition. As they say, it is more difficult to get to the starting line than the race itself.

Dutch are in

Abu Dhabi I'm told is not done but I think it is

I heard HK is wrapped up from a good source

Nico is close

Spain depends on a lot of politics

Charlie and Mark working their contacts hard

girls, ditto

Swedish rumors are not positive right now.

I think there have to be four firm letters of intent with big deposits or Mark wouldn't have announced.

Shanghai Sailor, can you tell us why mainland China is not looking like a go this time (if that is correct) when they went to such lengths to say that last time was the start of a long term programme?

Not a criticism just trying to get an handle on what is going on and you seem to be close to them.

nice to have a new stopover on the program... although the VOR has never really worked in big cities. Too small of an event for these locations. But Hong-Kong will deliver great pics for the sponsors & fans (hopefully without fog and with some breeze!)

we should "safely" assume that the Hong-Kong team is part of the deal. On the stopovers, just missing to know if the (dreaded) Middle East detour is going to happen again, or not. There must be hard negotiations ongoing with Abu Dhabi for the package "team+stopover".

I was told "You can bet on AD being part of it one way or another" just a few days ago

So... no big jump from Cape town to Hong kong... It's a pity (and a massacre for the sailors)!

I was told "You can bet on AD being part of it one way or another" just a few days ago

So... no big jump from Cape town to Hong kong... It's a pity (and a massacre for the sailors)!

There may yet be a pit-stop in Muscat announced.

Cape Town to NZ, then north to HK before going the long haul round the Horn to somewhere in South America.

Would that keep the fans happy?

So the Front Page crowing about something ahead of schedule once again.

The Hong Kong press conference DID NOT confirm that HK is "in with both a team and a stopover".

The only announcement was Hong Kong as a stopover. From what I hear there is still quite a funding gap.

Time will tell. It would be great for 2 entries from Greater China.

By the way Bruno, most Chinese don't consider HK to be China proper so not really the best city in China. Chinese people even need a special visa to visit there.

SS

Auckland???

Cape Town to Auckland to Hong Kong to Sth America.....Auckland can't get two gigs unless you made it Cape Town to Australia to HK to Auckland to Sth America to avoid a freeze dried mutiny on the Sth America leg....that said a non stop HK to SA leg would sort the men out from the boys.

In the 2008-9 race there was a leg from Qingdoa to Rio which was the longest in the race's history. No reason they can't do something similar again. And I am sure the sailors will cope with being paid a shed load to eat FD food for 40 days. Might be a nice incentive for alternative energy.

In the 2008-9 race there was a leg from Qingdoa to Rio which was the longest in the race's history. No reason they can't do something similar again. And I am sure the sailors will cope with being paid a shed load to eat FD food for 40 days. Might be a nice incentive for alternative energy.

40 days+ of an AIS procession would be an audience killer... well, if AIS stays as last time, anything longer than 3 days is a killer. (that leg on 2008-9 managed to keep an audience due to Ericsson 3 move to go north against all prevailing tactics... and finally winning the leg with a skipper with broken ribs despite starting late into the leg. Great edition it was)

It is possible to modify the boats individual AIS units and delete certain AIS codes I believe. As such it would be possible to leave the boats visible to the outside world but invisible to eachother on AIS.

I'll reprise my counter thought to the AIS question.

The issue seems to be that nobody is prepared to let a boat get out of AIS range. So they stick like glue. Why? Because then they can see where everyone else is.

So, the question is - if they could see where all the other boats are even if they were out of AIS range, would they continue to stick so close together?

Maybe not.

The experiment would then be to allow them all to see continuous location information of all boats via their satellite data feed from VOR central. No silly x-hour scheds or other issues. Just give everyone - (including the fans of the race) 7x24 continuous real time position data. At the moment they are prepared to take no risks and run a stupid processional race in order to keep the feed. As long as they do so it makes no difference if they are given the data feed or not. But guaranteeing them the feed may act to break the umbilicals.

I'll reprise my counter thought to the AIS question.

The issue seems to be that nobody is prepared to let a boat get out of AIS range. So they stick like glue. Why? Because then they can see where everyone else is.

So, the question is - if they could see where all the other boats are even if they were out of AIS range, would they continue to stick so close together?

Maybe not.

The experiment would then be to allow them all to see continuous location information of all boats via their satellite data feed from VOR central. No silly x-hour scheds or other issues. Just give everyone - (including the fans of the race) 7x24 continuous real time position data. At the moment they are prepared to take no risks and run a stupid processional race in order to keep the feed. As long as they do so it makes no difference if they are given the data feed or not. But guaranteeing them the feed may act to break the umbilicals.

Francis having long range position knowledge won't change anything. They are sticking together not to stay in range, rather sticking together to stay in the same weather pattern is less risky than going alone in terms of routing options. Put them alone then they have to back their own routing judgement, there is no follow the leader routing options.

That said once outside AIS range, which happens to them regularly, they are alone, though probably not for long, so I'm not sure AIS is the genisus to follow the leader. They are in OD boats and mostly all using the same routing programs so I think they have a fair idea where the others are going even if they can't see them.