Look at that would you.  SMA has come back out for a victory lap.

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

The way this thing is going you never know. Dongfeng holding on by the skin of their teeth now according to Marine Traffic.

Wish they could do a livestream off the boats like they did in the real race last time even for night finishes. I'd love to know what's going on right now, even if the production values weren't spectacular.

28 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Well thank you.  At the moment DF seems to be holding a slim lead....how you think it will finish?

Close :-)

SS

love the gentle sniping on this thread, much more tongue in cheek and adult than in many - keep it friendly guys, like a yacht club bar after a few pints :-)

SS

Just now, Alinghi4ever said:

Very bad indeed. Would have loved to see that finish.

I assume the OBRs are getting great night-vision stuff, at least. Looking forward to seeing it after the fact.

Can anyone confirm the config of IMOCA 60 SMA? Is she still a previous gen machine non-foiler (ie the old Macif)? And was she double-handed? Seems like VORs worst nightmare to me if that's the case.

Strange the differences between the Yellowbriock and VOR control. I would have thought they were getting the same info off the boats.

ss

Looks like 5 or 6 boatlengths from this photo, maybe.

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

So I was right, under a minute.

It is going to be a long 9 months starting in October - better order the extra-strong coffee now and beat the rush

SS

5 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

These are OD Boats. Mapfre would need to make a pretty big mistake to surrender that kind of lead. Every time I look at Marine Traffic they have higher speeds than the Chinese Boat. More likely they will stretch and Charles/Pascal will settle for 2nd.

Oh really? Fat lady is taking the stage! You were soo wrong.....again!

1 hour ago, PeteMoran said:

Can anyone confirm the config of IMOCA 60 SMA? Is she still a previous gen machine non-foiler (ie the old Macif)? And was she double-handed? Seems like VORs worst nightmare to me if that's the case.

Pretty sure she is the original. Haven't seen any news about a refit. Also she was a bit slower around the course than most Volvos, as the imocas started earlier. Conditions a lot different  at start though

3 hours ago, southerncross said:

Do you think when JPD passed some of the fleet, the crews thought, "That will be us some day"?

Pity it was at night. Its always frustrating for a crewed boat to be passed by a double or worse a singlehanded boat.

3 hours ago, PeteMoran said:

Yes SMA was double-handed with Paul and Gwénolé. Is in fact the old Macif and is back to two canted out daggerboards, having not seen benefits from their trial foil earlier in the year 

"Skipper Bekking having unfinished business. This quiet professional...." 

ahhh quiet professional & Bekking, hmm. 

35 minutes ago, theadmiralty said:

Setup.
The VOR is like WWE wrestling.

You think?

4 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

SC,

Pascal Bidegorry feels "dead" after that one :D That must be torture for a Navigator :D You gotta feel for the guy and his Spanish Counterpart Joan Vila as well....

“It was a very short race compared to most Volvo Ocean Race legs, but my feeling was that it was a very long one. I am dead,” joked Dongfeng navigator Pascal Bidégorry. “I ate nothing but one freeze-dried meal and two chocolate bars. I think we are going to fight a lot of times with MAPFRE, and with the other boats too. AkzoNobel, for example, were sometimes really fast,” he added.

:D

I think Wit's comments goes to Bucc's earlier question about big boat offshore sailing adjusting to OD offshore.

Favoring Mapfre in this edition.  Feeling they will be able to stretch out on a longer course esp w/Pascal.

Folks it's a OD race around the world - the way navigation works a very reasonable routing option can lead to days of disadvantage vs a team behind with nothing to lose opting for greater risk/break that pays off. 

The thing with VOR, one very bad night amongst 20 can mean the diff between 1st and last. 

Finally, the main reason I joined this forum for this race, there's some really good downloaded footage etc. from members.  However, I note that neither VOR nor this forum has quotes or whatever from Vestas or TTOP?? Have they had nothing to say on media that I can access?? I'd really like to know why Charlie and Si-Fi seemed to screw up so badly on the return to and through the Scilly's TSS.  I'd also like to know that Dee is still upbeat! 

There is an interview with Dee on the RORC Facebook page, and various videos during the race from TTTOP on their Facebook as well. Not sure where else it might be.

Yes, she is upbeat but also a little deflated after having got into 5th. Lots to debrief tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, Potter said:

Yes, she is upbeat but also a little deflated after having got into 5th.

My thanks Potter, and I hadn't realized she got past Charlie before the finish . Unfortunately, dinosaurs like me don't use social media to communicate, we just thump our tails and stamp our big feet.

19 hours ago, PeteMoran said:

Seems like VORs worst nightmare to me if that's the case.

One extremely well sailed boat does not make a nightmare, and SMA was the only one, and led both his fleet and VOR from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

There is not a lot of time to debrief anything until they reach Lisbon. Tomorrow at 12.00 UTC they will sail from Plymouth to St. Malo.

Okay, there are likely several TSS zones involved in both of the next two legs. There appeared to be several shall we say 'close calls' during the Fastnet.  Although there are agencies that monitor compliance and can fine or otherwise punish non-compliance, does anyone know whether Rolex Fastnet or VOR was monitoring that race and in the case of the next two legs whether VOR will be monitoring compliance?  Also except for the marine traffic channel, will there be any way to track VOR fleet?

2 hours ago, Potter said:

There is an interview with Dee on the RORC Facebook page, and various videos during the race from TTTOP on their Facebook as well. Not sure where else it might be.

Yes, she is upbeat but also a little deflated after having got into 5th. Lots to debrief tomorrow.

Interview is here: 

I definitely would call her upbeat. Given the experience level of her crew and their relatively late start with the boat I think they did fine to come in as close on the heels of the others as they did. These Leg 0 races are about training and learning, and they're going to be on the steep part of that curve for a while. But I can see why she's popular with people who've sailed with her. That's the kind of skipper I'd want to crew for. And if I were going to be heading into the Southern Ocean for the first time, I'd appreciate having someone with her experience calling the shots.

19 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I absolutely don't know. Probably not unless VOR Race Control gives us their own Tracker for viewing. I hope they arrange something tbh. I don't want to sit in the dark sort of.

I'll be disappointed (and surprised) if the online fan experience isn't at least as good as last time. Hopefully it will be better. It seems like maybe we won't be getting whatever it is we're going to get until Leg 1, though. I guess I can wait. This morning I totally had that feeling of a void in my life -- "what? no tracker to check?" -- that put me right back in how I felt after the end of each leg last time.

I guess it's like falling off the wagon with any kind of dependency. Once you fall you fall hard. Hook us up, Mark!

8 minutes ago, jbc said:

I guess it's like falling off the wagon with any kind of dependency. Once you fall you fall hard. Hook us up, Mark!

Thanks jbc for the Dee interview, and I'm with you on the dependency, the withdrawal is hell until the next in-port or leg start!!

As for the next leg, are they going to moor at the lower dock or go up in the lock (it's known as the Cowes Dinard in the Solent Points race), but St. Malo is where the Moulle Mariniere is.  I hope all VOR skippers make sure that their crews enjoy that before the steaks arrive!!

20 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Thanks jbc for the Dee interview, and I'm with you on the dependency, the withdrawal is hell until the next in-port or leg start!!

Came across this tweet I hadn't seen before. What a goofball! :lol: 

Pretty cool that PB is joining the race. I think there is a lot of sentiment that it would be great if Bouwe did finally manage to win one. So far ever the bridesmaid. I can't see him signing on for another one after this.

I'm totally torn about who to support. Almost every team is worthy of support, and I would hesitate to pick a winner.  I think the fat lady will be waiting a long time for her call.

8 hours ago, jbc said:

Interview is here: 

I definitely would call her upbeat. Given the experience level of her crew and their relatively late start with the boat I think they did fine to come in as close on the heels of the others as they did. These Leg 0 races are about training and learning, and they're going to be on the steep part of that curve for a while. But I can see why she's popular with people who've sailed with her. That's the kind of skipper I'd want to crew for. And if I were going to be heading into the Southern Ocean for the first time, I'd appreciate having someone with her experience calling the shots.

She's come to participate not win so she has every reason to be upbeat

3 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Pretty cool that PB is joining the race. I think there is a lot of sentiment that it would be great if Bouwe did finally manage to win one. So far ever the bridesmaid. I can't see him signing on for another one after this.

I'm totally torn about who to support. Almost every team is worthy of support, and I would hesitate to pick a winner.  I think the fat lady will be waiting a long time for her call.

I was until this signing... Bouwe all the way.

He's put in the yards and it would be good to see him win it

Funny how Jo Aleh's signing didn't really make the news

40 minutes ago, damagesmith said:

I was until this signing... Bouwe all the way.

He's put in the yards and it would be good to see him win it

Funny how Jo Aleh's signing didn't really make the news

Not sure if she's been officially signed yet

12 hours ago, Retired Sailor said:

One extremely well sailed boat does not make a nightmare, and SMA was the only one, and led both his fleet and VOR from start to finish.

Didn't the IMOCA fleet start a bit earlier than the Volvos though? If I'm not mistaken Mapfre and Dongfeng's total elapsed time was less than SMA

Dongfeng: 2d 15h 38m 10s

SMA: 2d 16h 14m 2s

Edited by Jachtař
Bloody smartphone touchscreen

I love that we have a split. Anyone with routing software want to weigh in on what's going to happen from here to the turning mark?

IMG_0477.thumb.PNG.0b9a0296a43bea9d68c64c6d944e060d.PNG

The Brunel team page had an update. Andrew Cape is not listed yet, no females either.

Fun on the team website: The Carlo Huisman photo in in his ENTZ gear.

46 minutes ago, Chasm said:

The Brunel team page had an update. Andrew Cape is not listed yet, no females either.

Fun on the team website: The Carlo Huisman photo in in his ENTZ gear.

Is there a rumor mill of Capey joining Brunel?  That would be quite the coup!

VOR website is pretty poor, but there is a link to an older web page showing Capey as Nav.  I think I now have a team to get behind.

¡Vamos MAPFRE! :)

I saw something somewhere about how some boats are choosing to use old sails for Leg 0, while some are using newer sails. I think maybe it was an interview with Bouwe? And he was using the older sails, while MAPFRE and DF were using newer ones? Something like that. So now I'm curious if anyone knows more details on that, or remembers seeing that same interview and can confirm my (sketchy) memory.

I can imagine some of the tradeoffs involved. The older sails are going to be shit at this point. Last time there were, if memory serves, a set of training sails and a set of race sails, with the option to swap out one for the other between legs. And then of course, the provision that if a sail was lost/destroyed/unusable, a team could petition the race committee to get a replacement. And the part where a certain team exploded their FR0 and a few of us may have written several hundred thousand words of opinionated commentary about the aftermath...

But in terms of now, I certainly can see the logic of sailing with the old stuff for Leg 0, which doesn't count for anything except glory. I have a harder time seeing why a team would use the new sails, except I imagine there's always pressure to do well for the sponsors, regardless of whether it counts toward the main race or not. And there's psychology, and learning. And of course these are hyper-competitive professional athletes who've dedicated their lives to never, ever losing if they can help it.

I'm also curious if there's any good info out there about the current sail inventory. That same Bouwe (?) interview mentioned something about the current version of one of the downwind sails being smaller than in the last race, I think? I'd like to get up to speed on all that so I can make better sense of the sail-related commentary and videos coming off the boats. And as long as I'm wishing, if someone has a version of polars with crossovers, that'd be neat to see.

43 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting track for Scallywag.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 9.44.02 AM.png

Someone dropped a hat overboard and Witt figured fuck it; we're already last. Might as well go back and pick it up.

598c99602215c_ScreenShot2017-08-10at10_33_30AM.png.8d5ccce01572c59fcb7161e79673c232.png

Those poor bastards in the back are all under 5 knots of boatspeed -- some closer to 1 knot -- in the 1830 BST update. It's gonna be a long night.

Meanwhile, MAPFRE's still doing 8.7 and Brunel's at 7.2. Not exactly flying, but way better than TTOP's 0.9.

Now watch it fill in from behind and put them all in each other's laps at the turning mark.

This looks like one of the best VO65 races yet in the history of the design. Just proves that coastal racing is where one-design is great - not long ocean crossings! The differences in the speed potential of the boats will be small and tactical and navigation decisions should be the deciding factors in this kind of race. Pure luck and "follow my leader on AIS" just wont cut it for this kind of race. That is what makes a big one-design fleet (i.e. Figaro) perfect for coastal racing and box rule boats best for interesting long distance ocean races. Pity there are not more boats in this particular race, but Mapfre looks very impressive in this one so far.

5 minutes ago, staysail said:

This looks like one of the best VO65 races yet in the history of the design. Just proves that coastal racing is where one-design is great - not long ocean crossings! The differences in the speed potential of the boats will be small and tacitcal and navigation decisions should be the deciding factors in this kind of race. Pure luck and "follow my leader on AIS" just wont cut it for this kind of race. That is what makes a big one-design fleet (i.e. Figaro) perfect for coastal racing and box rule boats best for interesting long distance ocean races. Pity there are not more boats in this particular race, but Mapfre looks very impressive in this one so far.

I wonder how many of the teams have a stealth switch for the AIS!

8 minutes ago, staysail said:

This looks like one of the best VO65 races yet in the history of the design. Just proves that coastal racing is where one-design is great - not long ocean crossings! The differences in the speed potential of the boats will be small and tactical and navigation decisions should be the deciding factors in this kind of race. Pure luck and "follow my leader on AIS" just wont cut it for this kind of race. That is what makes a big one-design fleet (i.e. Figaro) perfect for coastal racing and box rule boats best for interesting long distance ocean races. Pity there are not more boats in this particular race, but Mapfre looks very impressive in this one so far.

+1

For this particular race course I think the winner will be the one who makes the best navigation decisions and the one who is best at interpreting the weather info. and has confidence in their own abilities. Following anyone on AIS is not likely to be the winning formula!

7 hours ago, Jachtař said:

Didn't the IMOCA fleet start a bit earlier than the Volvos though? If I'm not mistaken Mapfre and Dongfeng's total elapsed time was less than SMA

Yes they did, and thank you for taking the trouble to post the elapsed  times. They reinforce the point that I was making that one well sailed boat doesn't make a nightmare.

15 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Yes and No. Certainly for Leg 1 between Alicante and Lisbon it will be more like following the Leader and AIS. Given how close in Performance MAPFRE and Dongfeng are I don't expect either of them making a stunt (bold) move.

For Legs 2 & 3 it will be about Speed, Speed, Speed. Who has the best Drivers that will be the Question there.

I'm talking about this race, Plymouth to St Malo. Not the VOR itself which, with these OD boats, I fully expect, will be "follow my leader", just like the last one.

16 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Today has had an awful lot of luck involved.

I am not convinced that luck has had anything to do with it, nor can the drivers account for the speed differences that we are seeing.  Seems to me what counts most is a very canny navigator who sees that the boat goes where most wind and least current is. I assume they are all trying to carry the most sail.  Wait until they get to the French Coast and the Alderney Race!

16 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

I am not convinced that luck has had anything to do with it, nor can the drivers account for the speed differences that we are seeing.  Seems to me what counts most is a very canny navigator who sees that the boat goes where most wind and least current is. I assume they are all trying to carry the most sail.  Wait until they get to the French Coast and the Alderney Race!

Based on very sketchy eyeball nav, if the leaders average 15 knots they'll be hitting the Race in the wee hours around the middle of the ebb, which I think (from some quick googling) means they'll have a favorable current and a reduced sea state. Does that sound right?

21 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

When does the ebb start? We have now just past 11pm Local in France AND the Leader MAPFRE hasn't reached "The Needles" yet.

Sorry; I should have been more clear that I was thinking "wee hours UTC".

I just went and redid my earlier super-sketchy nav, and got this:

Time as of latest tracker update for MAPFRE (in the lead; vamos MAPFRE): 2215 BST (2115 UTC)

Distance from MAPFRE to turning mark off the Needles: 13NM

MAPFRE current speed: 16k (roughly. I'm assuming they'll average that the rest of the way. Like I said, super-sketchy.)

Distance Needles buoy to Race entrance: 58NM

Distance Race entrance to Race exit (passing Jersey): 32NM

So that gives me the following estimated arrival times:

Needles buoy: 2205 UTC

Race entrance: 0145 UTC

Race exit: 0345 UTC

Going by this site, they'd ideally want to hit the entrance at high water slack (or HW - 1 hour at Dover as given here). Per that second link, HW tomorrow will be at 0043 UTC, with the ensuing LW at 0815. So I'm taking that to mean the fleet should be passing through there at a pretty opportune time. Too bad it's going to be dark; I bet that'd be pretty interesting to see.

1 hour ago, jbc said:

Based on very sketchy eyeball nav, if the leaders average 15 knots they'll be hitting the Race in the wee hours around the middle of the ebb, which I think (from some quick googling) means they'll have a favorable current and a reduced sea state. Does that sound right?

I haven't the faintest idea when or what the conditions will be when they reach the Race, but it's not unlike several locations where I live now, narrow channels relative to the speed of the tidal current, can create some pretty harsh conditions. I once went through the Race downwind at night crouched in the transom compartment of a Peterson 44 fixing a problem with the wheel steering arm. Anyone familiar with Peterson designs will know just how narrow the transoms were and the driver was doing his damnedest to keep the boat in a straight line while I fixed it. I was however allowed one of the only beers on board when I fixed it and g-t-f-o!

When we went back to Cowes from St Malo, the tide was flooding, the wind had switched to the South and I was driving. It was fantastic fun!!

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Today has had an awful lot of luck involved.

Yeah! Just like a leg in the Solitaire, The ones at the front of the fleet are just very lucky. Funny though, how the same ones seem to be lucky on most of the legs.

Where's Scallywag going?

598cdf9e5c4b2_ScreenShot2017-08-10at3_33_12PM.png.9ea222ef4df8eedd9acda6456bf516fa.png

17 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I agree about being torn.

Last time round I was supporting Ian Walker/ AbuDhab because I like Ian and Simon (and other team members). They had done great things previously with two uncompetitive boats and I wanted it to be their time.

This time. I really like the spirit on the Dong Feng Team. I want Charles to get a well deserved win.

But I also would love to see Brouwe get a win before hanging up his hat.  I worry about the funding from Brunel, who were subsidized last time and not sure how much expenditure  they can justify to shareholders in an environment where temp workers for oil and gas is not exactly a booming business at the moment. It will likely be a budget campaign...but PB could not have been a cheap last minute addition.

30 minutes ago, jbc said:

Where's Scallywag going?

598cdf9e5c4b2_ScreenShot2017-08-10at3_33_12PM.png.9ea222ef4df8eedd9acda6456bf516fa.png

Guess Witt was just taking a flyer in hope of better wind or something.

598ce6f6cbd8e_ScreenShot2017-08-10at4_05_07PM.png.e6463ae3fedcd3f1c9e33b75eb80fb75.png

Love that tight pack of DF, Vestas, and Akzo.

34 minutes ago, jbc said:

Where's Scallywag going?

My initial response was 'off hunting down more crew', until I realized you missed a YB update!

My question right now is where is V11th hour? I can't isolate her.  They were overlapped by Dongfeng but now??  Okay she's still overlapped with Dongfeng but is now slightly ahead!

Peter Burling will be a big plus for Bouwe and Team B. Will be interesting to see Kyle Langford (Oracle) and Peter Burling (Team NZ) advise Bouwe. With less crew on the boats some talent makes a big difference. Great to see Blair Tuke (Mapfre) go head to head with his best mate in Burling too. 

The 'currents' that YB gives cannot be tidal currents.  The ebb was already well advanced half an hour ago, as clearly shown by the 4 knot higher speed of Mapfre, and by the Alderney tide tables but YB showed an outward and upward flow at the Race, which I would take to mean flood??

One notes that if Capey is part of Brunel, plus Pete Burling, they have listed 8 males, and zero females. PB did note that he may not do every leg, and having a bit of slack in the crew roster is a good thing.  But the question of women in the team is still unaddressed.

I am sure they will get to it. Patience.  They will not be doing a Scallydog

10 hours ago, Retired Sailor said:

Yes they did, and thank you for taking the trouble to post the elapsed  times. They reinforce the point that I was making that one well sailed boat doesn't make a nightmare.

Shouldn't there be 7 really well sailed, fully crewed, more capable boats than a double-handed previous gen 60-footer?? What would people reckon the SMA budget is?

Anyway, it re-inforces for me why VOR won't repeat sailing with the Sydney-Hobart fleet again, and probably do Fastnet reluctantly. Thankfully for them too that Monster Project is low budget and the other VO70s are scattered elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, PeteMoran said:

Shouldn't there be 7 really well sailed, fully crewed, more capable boats than a double-handed previous gen 60-footer?? What would people reckon the SMA budget is?

Anyway, it re-inforces for me why VOR won't repeat sailing with the Sydney-Hobart fleet again, and probably do Fastnet reluctantly. Thankfully for them too that Monster Project is low budget and the other VO70s are scattered elsewhere.

SMA: One race means little in sailing...  And they were likely allowed much more latitude in preparing their boat for the race vs. the strict OD VO65. And it's also a much more open class in the first place. And 600 miles double handed is a lot different from a leg that is 10x as long.

1 hour ago, DtM said:

I am sure they will get to it. Patience.  They will not be doing a Scallydog

I was really just noting how in all the conversation about additions and possibilities the numbers seemed to have got lost. I don't doubt there will be more announcements.

Brunel is building a roster because, as has been noted here on SA, not everyone will do everything (and injuries are still a worry).

With regards to the females on board:

1. Bouwe is on board with the idea
  2. Quite (but also quietly) active trialling various candidates (different sailors for: delivery Lisbon-Portsmouth, RTI, Fastnet and now this leg to St Malo)
  3. I've seen Annie Lush (SCA) and Annabel Vose (winning tactician RB Youth AC in Bermuda with BAR amongst other things) at various stages on board. Jo Aleh (gold&silver in 470 Olympics) did the Fastnet and I forgot who else has been trialled so far.

Akzo for instance also has two female crew confirmed but are trialling additional crew.

All pretty sensible I think: Chance of injury is unrelated to sex but you can obviously only replace male-male and female-female.

Anyhow, looks like Mapfre are pretty close to finishing and Scallywag might miss out on this tidal gate to enter St Malo... (or did I read the info from Mark Turner wrong in that they had to be there at a certain time?) ->

and Vestas have had Abby Ehler on board (certainly for the Fastnet)

8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Peter Burling will be a big plus for Bouwe and Team B. Will be interesting to see Kyle Langford (Oracle) and Peter Burling (Team NZ) advise Bouwe. With less crew on the boats some talent makes a big difference. Great to see Blair Tuke (Mapfre) go head to head with his best mate in Burling too. 

Just wondering how long it will take Bouwe to start every interview answer with "Yeah, for ourselves..."

Results show it must have been hard for scallywag to lose their 8th man for this leg ... I guess volvo learnt who the supposed VIP guest really was in the end ...