Realizing that marinetraffic is sketchy, it looks like they are having to gybe down the coast and man is is slow now.  The only two with less than 10 reporting are TToP and Brunel, both doing less than 5 kts.  They are crawling past malpica and last ping on TToP was 2.5 kts.

Looooooong is right.

For a race like this VOR can shove their three hour updates up their waste discharge pipe.

Looks like the stage of the tide is going to be crucial for most of the fleet to get past the Cape.  I haven't been able to access anything useful. Anyone know whether its flooding or ebbing??? 

15 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

For a race like this VOR can shove their three hour updates up their waste discharge pipe.

Hi Bucc, for the race itself, I think 3h updates are okay except when they get close to the finish, and then it should be 15 min at least.  As I recall last time, those who were willing to stay up could follow it in almost real time with video.  I thought Knut did a really good job of that but whether MT will be as good, who knows. 

2 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

Hi Bucc, for the race itself, I think 3h updates are okay except when they get close to the finish, and then it should be 15 min at least.  As I recall last time, those who were willing to stay up could follow it in almost real time with video.  I thought Knut did a really good job of that but whether MT will be as good, who knows. 

RR, to clarify, for a coastal race like this, three hours suck.  Maybe when we're looking at long distances, but honestly I don't see why even 15 minutes would be a bother.  If they are looking for clicks on their site, that would do it.  People can choose when and how much or long.  Even the management still seems to see this as a race where boats get strung out so who needs updates.  

Anyway, it is what it is....

3 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

RR, to clarify, for a coastal race like this, three hours suck.  Maybe when we're looking at long distances, but honestly I don't see why even 15 minutes would be a bother.  If they are looking for clicks on their site, that would do it.  People can choose when and how much or long.  Even the management still seems to see this as a race where boats get strung out so who needs updates.  

Anyway, it is what it is....

Okay for Leg Zero, I agree, but the race itself is really where it's going to be at. Furthermore, too many posts came in while I was trying to edit my last post about the good job Knut did.  So I'll add it here.  Despite the criticism of the lady who did the live updates for the last race, I would much prefer her return rather than the new guy, whose voice grates.  

RACE CONTROL: Latest weather models suggest that #SHKScallywag best chance is to go west & leave TSS to port. What will they decide to do?

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 12.46.43 PM.png

Hell, I can't get an edit in edgewise with all these posts. So I'll say that not only did she have a smoother voice, but she was a damn sight better looking, and didn't need a shave before she came on camera!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Very buccin looooooong 

*g*

I actually meant the moderator in the live videos. Don't like the voice, at all.
But hey, more time to do other stuff is that not bad either.

12 minutes ago, Chasm said:

I actually meant the moderator in the live videos. Don't like the voice, at all.

I'm with you!

Meanwhile back to Leg Zero, seems Witt has had a change of plan, he's now going for the inside as well. Perhaps, he's hoping they'll wait until he can catch up? Perhaps they will have no choice?? We shall see.

1 hour ago, Retired Sailor said:

I'm with you!

Meanwhile back to Leg Zero, seems Witt has had a change of plan, he's now going for the inside as well. Perhaps, he's hoping they'll wait until he can catch up? Perhaps they will have no choice?? We shall see.

I was going to say the same, though maybe he's just on a long gybe and in the next three update we'll see he want back out :rolleyes: I'm done with that.

I liked the girl as well, but she was either not comfortable with the role or prepared, for at times she seemed to wander off on things.  Maybe they will switch out.  They guy as eye candy for the woman, the girl for the old salts who now only dream.

With SCally @ 34 nm back, in these conditions...it will be a long ride to the finish.

5 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

bucc,

There is decent breeze below Cape Finisterre. Obviously the Team who reaches that breeze first is going to get a huge jump on the others.

I've seen this before numerous times in the last VOR. Ask shanghaisailor for example on Leg 3 from Abu Dhabi to Sanya. Every Dongfeng Supporter was holding their breath not knowing how much time it would cost Charles/Pascal to navigate through Sri Lankas huge wind shadow. They popped out first and got a huge jump on the others.

Let's go with the VOR tracker, Scally is 43 nm behind and the gap, front to back for the other 6 is @ 15 nm.  I think the first 4, if they stay that way coming into the next update will have the best chance of putting pressure on Mapfre.  However, the VOR tracker has them looking like they are parked right now so ....who knows.  It is hard to imagine a race, even a long on where information is given out in such dribble.  Trying to imagine a NASCAR 500 miler where we only get to see the cars every 10 miles and then as a snapshot.  Watching the tour de France, but only allowed to see the riders positions every few miles.  These gaps don't add to the suspense as much as they start to diminish interest over time.

I remember that leg and that moment...it worked...that time :-)

8 hours ago, Rushman said:

YB charge to view the tracker on a mobile device (phone/tablet) but provide free tracker to desktop, they also charge VOR for the use of the trackers

YB do not need a donation

I've just opened my YB app on the iPad and added the latest leg for free. 

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What's the YB link for desktop?

Sorry, not sure. I only have an iPad at the moment. 

Google it. 

Look how the Twits are added to the trails in the YB tracker.  Smart way to drive traffic.  VOR could do the same by providing links to updates on their website or team pages.

For example, as I was saying earlier, when we see a boat suddenly change course or stop etc, VOR could pin a link on the tracker to news of the incident on their site.

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 3.43.03 PM.png

Can the Witless Wonder and team go any slower!

The route they have chosen tends to disprove the theory that routing software is a great equalizer.

To err is human, to really fuck things up, one needs a computer.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:
RACE CONTROL: Latest weather models suggest that #SHKScallywag best chance is to go west & leave TSS to port. What will they decide to do?

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 12.46.43 PM.png

Southercross, where did you grab this screen shot?

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Mucho Gracias.

The URL that I am using has a # sign as the last digit, not 'b', but since I have used it for all the legs, and it gives you the choice of leg when you enter it, the # may just be because of that. Try both.  

Okay YB is now officially MIA, the 3h update is now 30 min late, maybe they are all in 'stealth' mode, and Marine Traffic has now decided that I am 'persona non grata'!!!! 

10 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Can the Witless Wonder and team go any slower!

The route they have chosen tends to disprove the theory that routing software is a great equalizer.

To err is human, to really fuck things up, one needs a computer.

Anybody else predicting a rapid and frequent crew turnover on this program? 

1 minute ago, Hitchhiker said:

Looks like RC is using Exp.  Someone has to leak those polars!

I don't think anyone was able to get hold of the VO65 polars last edition.  I think someone tweaked VO70 polars in Exp.  I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, mad said:

Starting at the top?

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Starting at the top?

Actually southerncross the URL ends in b#, but I wouldn't waste your time. VOR has probably got to YB and said cut your feed,  because it's now almost an hour late updating!!

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I don't think anyone was able to get hold of the VO65 polars last edition.  I think someone tweaked VO70 polars in Exp.  I could be wrong.

There was a guy running an open software routing prog.  Went by Zezo (?) He had put together a polar file based off the VOR game last go around (I think).  But, I cannot find a working link to a .csv file any longer. 

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Starting at the top?

Close, I'm predicting Steve Hayles walks or gets flicked first. 

I'm not sure if the program has a spare skipper in mind or place, it doesn't seem to run the same way as the other programs. 

10 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

We're going to know more in two hours I guess when VOR Race Control does their update.

F--k MT, not good enough, you introduced Leg Zero, now put up or get f-----g lost. This forum should have a battle flag, but only one not associated with any cause except to get rid of MT and his new minions!!!  Jack got any ideas, and no racial stuff please, this is just getting rid of VOR corporate anarchy!!

3 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

F--k MT, not good enough, you introduced Leg Zero, now put up or get f-----g lost. This forum should have a battle flag, but only one not associated with any cause except to get rid of MT and his new minions!!!  Jack got any ideas, and no racial stuff please, this is just getting rid of VOR corporate anarchy!!

Grow the fuck up, this a forum with a few people watching the race and talking shit. You stamping your foot like a child is fucking comical. :lol:

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 4.19.18 PM.png

Can't see Scallywag in there, or am I missing something?

Just now, mad said:

They're off the chart - so to speak.

Just now, southerncross said:

They're off the chart - so to speak.

Ha!

I was going to say there's only so much bandwidth!

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

How about you going away from this Forum and stick to AC Forum & Programming.

I think you'll find I was here a long time before you and I rarely frequented the AC forums in the latest or the last cup. As for the programming?? I have no clue what you are talking about. 

.....more to point, I wasn't even addressing you and last time I looked, you weren't in charge here either.

You can always retreat yourself back to the AC forum that you were spawned from. ;)

There' a funny video on Twit from Dee asking Franscesa to describe the event in one word ... "Really close".  

"That's two words, Franchesca."  says Dee.   "I don't have the brightest crew."  

Catch it before it gets deleted.

31 minutes ago, mad said:

What you are missing is more than Scallywag, a couple of other things come to mind, beginning with r, p and then some!

So, while I was gone...nothing got updated.  Yea VOR, doing a bang up job!!

YB - Same as when I left
VOR, same as when I left and your snapshot had the fleet looking like a parking lot after a NASCAR race
Marine Traffic - WTF - I cannot believe I cannot see them they have to be close to shore.

So we have no real way to know how the fleet stands at 8:01 EST US.  On MT I got Brunel close inshore at 7 kts and no one else.

If this is how VOR is going to run tracking on the fleet I will again say it is bullshit.  I walk in the door expecting even a three hour update and nothing changes?

SCallywag needs to do some rael soul searching about their approach to this event.  Social experiment...not so good at the moment, but I suspect it is not so much the lack of women, but the inability to pivot to OD.

eta:  I really wonder if the teams were told to turn off AIS.  Brunel still reports, but not another boat and they all cannot be that far off shore.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

YB Tracker update: Race to Lisbon is between Vestas, Mapfre and AkzoNobel.

Agreed.  Wind makes it look like a gybing game down the track and folks behind could make up if they push....if they want to at this point.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Close, I'm predicting Steve Hayles walks or gets flicked first. 

Tend to agree Mad. Hayles is pretty capable and his strong point you would think would be these short races in his own backyard. However so far he is looking pretty ordinary. Starting to think his time spent on TP52's is doing him no favours with this platform.

9 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Nice!

All things considered, having these guys go through such conditions will perhaps show us a preview of those moments crossing the equator.  I think they get the point now that OD is not always about legging out, because the design will save you, but that you have to consider the other boats, where they are at.  Coming back from behind in OD is very hard so close racing will be key for towards the finish, a boat 4 miles ahead is fair game and time to push it to 11.

I am loving the drone shots!  

2 hours ago, mad said:

Somethings gotta give they are embarrassing now. I have a little sign which I think is appropriate for the Tailwag Team..!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMaAAAAJDhhMDUzZTc5LTEyOGUtNGExZS05ZWIzLTkwZDhlMDljNWI4Nw.jpg

10 hours ago, Rushman said:

iPhone and iPad do not display the YB tracker, maybe other tablets don't show up as a mobile device (lucky you)

Sorry Rushman but I am looking at YB on my iPad right now - and as a double check my iPhone too

SS

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Their mood on the boat sums it up quite well

My goodness...and if they are in the same position on some 6000+ mile leg...oh that will be a fun boat.

1 hour ago, Retired Sailor said:

Feels awfully early in the contest to be going to the red zone on Mark Turner. But to each his (or her) own.

Looking pretty exciting at the front of the fleet. In the latest update you can see how Mapfre sailed into a hole and Vestas got ahead; I'm looking forward to checking the next update in a few more hours. As long as it stays light and patchy like this the leader is going to have a target on their back for anyone within striking distance.

I'm a little disappointed by the every-3-hours thing with the tracker, but I got used to it last time. And in this case at least the official tracker seems to have more/better features. So there's that.

The bigger worry for me is a potential downside to the centralized OBR operation that I hadn't considered. I'm on record as seriously hating the "2 minutes of choppily edited music video" approach to releasing media from the boats. It feels very much to me like being a fan of (American) football (if you know what that is), but only being able to see the action via amateurishly edited highlight films. I was very annoyed in the last edition when the guy reposting the somewhat raw video packages coming off the boats was barred from accessing the official media FTP server. Please, if the central media operation wants to justify their existence by making and posting those things, go ahead and post them. But for the love of god let the actual fans of the sport SEE THE ACTUAL SPORT. I know I'm not going to get a continuous live feed, or even much more than 4 or 5 minutes of 1st-pass-edit shots coming off the boats every day or so. But at least give me that. You have it anyway.

Anyway: the bigger worry. In the last edition I loved Yann Riou's footage off Dongfeng specifically because he told compelling stories with a fairly light hand. You got compelling footage put together in a way that told a story. But it wasn't just the "bad rock music plus splashy waves shots I've already seen 100 times before" that the central media team sometimes seemed to specialize in. And I figured well, since Mark Turner was sort of running that team, maybe the fact that Yann's stuff was so good meant that with MT running the whole show, *all* the teams' output would be that good.

It's still early, obviously. Maybe things will change. But so far I'm seeing it lean the other way: A centrally trained, centrally controlled OBR cadre seems like it may just mean we get more of that central office marketing footage designed to be compelling to... someone. Sponsors? General-interest audiences who don't know much about sailing? I'm not sure who, actually. But it's not aimed at me.

Yann's stuff was that good last time because *he* was that good. He's not there this time, and so far I haven't seen much that justifies the anticipation I've been feeling.

But again, it's early days.

16 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Sorry Rushman but I am looking at YB on my iPad right now - and as a double check my iPhone too

SS

'Via the app without paying $$$$?

If so thanks Yellowbrick for changing

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Dongfeng 8 Miles behind. Looks like we're going to finish 4th in this portion of Leg 0. Charles/Pascal and the Drivers have to up their Game when real racing starts. We had such good Drivers last time.

These conditions are not favorable to "real" racing since it is more a luck of the draw.  TToP was up at the top and now hanging with Brunel.  It does show that in light wind conditions if you lose the leader you may not have the ability to gain it back.  This would be a good win for vestas, but it ain't over till they cross.  At least I can get a good sleep, given the finish times now.

This is still some of the best raw footage to come out of the last edition.  IMHO.  

7 minutes ago, jbc said:

Feels awfully early in the contest to be going to the red zone on Mark Turner. But to each his (or her) own.

Looking pretty exciting at the front of the fleet. In the latest update you can see how Mapfre sailed into a hole and Vestas got ahead; I'm looking forward to checking the next update in a few more hours. As long as it stays light and patchy like this the leader is going to have a target on their back for anyone within striking distance.

I'm a little disappointed by the every-3-hours thing with the tracker, but I got used to it last time. And in this case at least the official tracker seems to have more/better features. So there's that.

The bigger worry for me is a potential downside to the centralized OBR operation that I hadn't considered. I'm on record as seriously hating the "2 minutes of choppily edited music video" approach to releasing media from the boats. It feels very much to me like being a fan of (American) football (if you know what that is), but only being able to see the action via amateurishly edited highlight films. I was very annoyed in the last edition when the guy reposting the somewhat raw video packages coming off the boats was barred from accessing the official media FTP server. Please, if the central media operation wants to justify their existence by making and posting those things, go ahead and post them. But for the love of god let the actual fans of the sport SEE THE ACTUAL SPORT. I know I'm not going to get a continuous live feed, or even much more than 4 or 5 minutes of 1st-pass-edit shots coming off the boats every day or so. But at least give me that. You have it anyway.

Anyway: the bigger worry. In the last edition I loved Yann Riou's footage off Dongfeng specifically because he told compelling stories with a fairly light hand. You got compelling footage put together in a way that told a story. But it wasn't just the "bad rock music plus splashy waves shots I've already seen 100 times before" that the central media team sometimes seemed to specialize in. And I figured well, since Mark Turner was sort of running that team, maybe the fact that Yann's stuff was so good meant that with MT running the whole show, *all* the teams' output would be that good.

It's still early, obviously. Maybe things will change. But so far I'm seeing it lean the other way: A centrally trained, centrally controlled OBR cadre seems like it may just mean we get more of that central office marketing footage designed to be compelling to... someone. Sponsors? General-interest audiences who don't know much about sailing? I'm not sure who, actually. But it's not aimed at me.

Yann's stuff was that good last time because *he* was that good. He's not there this time, and so far I haven't seen much that justifies the anticipation I've been feeling.

But again, it's early days.

Agreed.  I would have thought MT got the message that if you over control the data of the race, you do more to push people away, not draw them in.  Of course produce media bits, polished nothings that many of the masses will get, but there is a strong subset of supporters that more raw experience, be it tracker or video.  Social media today is about grabbing attention and 3 hour updates, pabulum video feeds won't capture that crowd.

Leg 1 will be telling in how the truly interested, re sailors, are drawn into the contest.  Not sure the current formula will last.

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

This is still some of the best raw footage to come out of the last edition.  IMHO.  

Wow!!!  that was amazing to watch.  Thank you.

Please wait - the real event is still 60+ away and many actual coverage folks are recovering/getting primed to put family and friends away for 9 months. 

10 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Can anyone actually state anything DW has won as a skipper ?

Well, nothing is worth waiting 6 hours for, not even a fix, a screw and definitely not a blood transfusion!  I've had it for Leg Zero.  Hopefully for the crews, it will be better than staying up to watch nothing until either the tide turns or the wind fills in, and we wouldn't know that for another 4 hours  plus.

One does have to ask with so little time in the boat on a non-scoring leg, why Scallywag took a flyer West.

What are they trying to prove?

As others have pointed out -- surely it'd be more productive in the long-game staying with the fleet and tweaking their boatspeed against the others.

EDIT: I see they were ~20nm behaind when they split -- maybe they figured they were already out the back door.

Race was abandoned/shortened this morning at 04:30 UTC, which may explain some of the tracker shenanigans.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9884_MAPFRE-seal-overall-Leg-Zero-victory-as-light-winds-force-shortened-course-on-final-stage.html

Too bad it goes out with a fizzle like this, but I think the concept of leg zero was quite good. Introduce the teams, give them some idea where they stand relative to each other and help them tune.

8 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

One does have to ask with so little time in the boat on a non-scoring leg, why Scallywag took a flyer West.

What are they trying to prove?

As others have pointed out -- surely it'd be more productive in the long-game staying with the fleet and tweaking their boatspeed against the others.

EDIT: I see they were ~20nm behaind when they split -- maybe they figured they were already out the back door.

Dunc more to the point they were 20 back in a OD race then went flying...WTF...they travelled more miles than anyone else in the Fasnet to end up at the back of the bus and for this one they have travelled to the moon and back...Steve Hayles has to be gone and Witt better get his shit together or he won't be too far behind him. The Chinese are not to forgiving when it comes to their noses being rubbed in it and a Witt personal circus they won't put up with.

OR...they have not engaged on purpose in this Race Zero shit and are saving their powder.

Is Team Maverick making a late push for this edition of the VOR?

(From a post on FB)

11 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Not yet time to beat him up about it but certainly time to make some noise. There are 2 month left to make changes, better have that discussion now than after the start. Esp. since I suspect that we'll see another tracker system in the real VOR. After all someone spend a lot of money on that 3Dtracker last round...

11 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

bucc. You obviously did not get the memo.
There is a size limit on the internet. You can't just post any length video you want. That's unpossible.[/Ralph Wiggum] And posting different versions of long, mid, and short form content? That is way to complex for the fans(!!!11!) to understand.... Better keep it down to just a few seconds, easier to post on Twitter too.

16 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Not yet time to beat him up about it but certainly time to make some noise. There are 2 month left to make changes, better have that discussion now than after the start. Esp. since I suspect that we'll see another tracker system in the real VOR. After all someone spend a lot of money on that 3Dtracker last round...

bucc. You obviously did not get the memo.
There is a size limit on the internet. You can't just post any length video you want. That's unpossible.[/Ralph Wiggum] And posting different versions of long, mid, and short form content? That is way to complex for the fans(!!!11!) to understand.... Better keep it down to just a few seconds, easier to post on Twitter too.

Chasm, I did not write that post.  Try again with the correct author.  

However, Size limit?  Internet?  I had nothing to do with what you responded too, but let's keep the nomenclature on technical stuff clear.  It is bandwidth.  The larger the bandwidth the more information (bytes) you can send and receive.  Of course, if bandwidth was free then VOR could put 24/7 video, because these days Sat networking is approaching some broadband speeds.  Alas, someone has to pay the piper so bandwidth matches dollars spent.  It is not technology that limits VOR's ability to send larger video feeds, it's money.  Even then, if they wanted to they could send compressed video on the existing line, giving it a lower priority than other protocols and still transmit larger files.  It would just take longer.

I see they abandoned the race.  Congratulations to Vestas for winning that ....thing...and to Mapfre for being the overall winner.  TToP made a good showing this leg and I suspect Dee and the crew are going to not settle for 5th all the time.  They got the speed, now they need consistency.  It looks like we may see the Mapfre Dongfeng duel around the planet race with the rest fighting for third :) Then Akzo has also shown great improvement.  It will certainly be a tight race and one or two mistakes will hurt on a leg.

The biggest failure in this race was  the VOR itself.  If the point is to draw more people into this race then the worst thing is to make it harder to follow.  One suggestion I read would be a reasonable compromise, updating a tracker when something changes, boats gybes, tacks so we can see the impact then and not some hours later.  Hell, they could help support a third party tracker like forss's and tie it directly into their media feeds.  Following on YB I noticed they posted twitter icons on a boats track when something was posted from that boat.  The VOR could do that on a uncluttered tracker, it still can drive people to their site and they don't have to support their own tracker which may look slick, but pales to even last race's open tracker.  With Remora, folks can play navigator without getting yelled at (looking at you Scallywag, not the best of decisions).

A good tracker in this type of race can be more than just a 3 hour "where are they" tool.  It can teach and would draw people/sailors more into the race.

1 minute ago, bucc5062 said:

I see they abandoned the race.  Congratulations to Vestas for winning that ....thing...and to Mapfre for being the overall winner.  TToP made a good showing this leg and I suspect Dee and the crew are going to not settle for 5th all the time.  They got the speed, now they need consistency.  It looks like we may see the Mapfre Dongfeng duel around the planet race with the rest fighting for third :) Then Akzo has also shown great improvement.  It will certainly be a tight race and one or two mistakes will hurt on a leg.

The biggest failure in this race was  the VOR itself.  If the point is to draw more people into this race then the worst thing is to make it harder to follow.  One suggestion I read would be a reasonable compromise, updating a tracker when something changes, boats gybes, tacks so we can see the impact then and not some hours later.  Hell, they could help support a third party tracker like forss's and tie it directly into their media feeds.  Following on YB I noticed they posted twitter icons on a boats track when something was posted from that boat.  The VOR could do that on a uncluttered tracker, it still can drive people to their site and they don't have to support their own tracker which may look slick, but pales to even last race's open tracker.  With Remora, folks can play navigator without getting yelled at (looking at you Scallywag, not the best of decisions).

A good tracker in this type of race can be more than just a 3 hour "where are they" tool.  It can teach and would draw people/sailors more into the race.

You might have quoted me on this ... but I agree that imbedding links to updated news such as the Twit links would be a big improvement to the tracker going forward especially during periods when the boats appear to be doing something unusual.  During a Leg, I believe the tracker should be central to the VOR social media.  Rather than miss Live interviews with teams for example, VOR could pin a notice on the boat about an upcoming interview.  The alternative has been to scour the internet on FB, Twitter, YT, Team sites to find news.  

12 hours ago, Miffy said:

Please wait - the real event is still 60+ away and many actual coverage folks are recovering/getting primed to put family and friends away for 9 months. 

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

You might have quoted me on this ... but I agree that imbedding links to updated news such as the Twit links would be a big improvement to the tracker going forward especially during periods when the boats appear to be doing something unusual.  During a Leg, I believe the tracker should be central to the VOR social media.  Rather than miss Live interviews with teams for example, VOR could pin a notice on the boat about an upcoming interview.  The alternative has been to scour the internet on FB, Twitter, YT, Team sites to find news.  

Yes!!  That is taking the marketing and publicity into the 21st century.  I'm guessing that VOR even controls twits of the boat, along with facebook posts.  I could see a track line interspersed with fb, tw, and vor icons. What makes that cool is for late comers, they only need to follow back on the track to catch up on news.

Boat icons could, as you say, could indicate not only a live interview, but an article had been posted in the VOR website about that team.  YB and MT use tooltips to display last/current data on the boat so you don't need a huge leaderboard to take up space.

What really kills me is that they could get their hands on the bulk of such a site (forss) and build in the social media links.  Give a line at the bottom for sponsor ad's or logo's that link to a sponsor.

This is not rocket science nor need it cost as much, but it would make people enjoy the race more.

52 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Chasm, I did not write that post.  Try again with the correct author.  

However, Size limit?  Internet?  I had nothing to do with what you responded too, but let's keep the nomenclature on technical stuff clear.  It is bandwidth.  The larger the bandwidth the more information (bytes) you can send and receive.  Of course, if bandwidth was free then VOR could put 24/7 video, because these days Sat networking is approaching some broadband speeds.  Alas, someone has to pay the piper so bandwidth matches dollars spent.  It is not technology that limits VOR's ability to send larger video feeds, it's money.  Even then, if they wanted to they could send compressed video on the existing line, giving it a lower priority than other protocols and still transmit larger files.  It would just take longer.

Ooops.... The quote system officially sucks. Better be careful what you highlight with the mouse and click "quote this".

14 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

20841019_1658306557555226_69314094863618

Love this photo...this is how tight it can get.

where'd that one come from, please?

17 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

There was a guy running an open software routing prog.  Went by Zezo (?) He had put together a polar file based off the VOR game last go around (I think).  But, I cannot find a working link to a .csv file any longer. 

"Universal Tracker" @ http://volodiaja.net/Tracking/ - offline now

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

where'd that one come from, please?

That was a link from Dongfeng's facebook page

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dunc more to the point they were 20 back in a OD race then went flying...WTF...they travelled more miles than anyone else in the Fasnet to end up at the back of the bus and for this one they have travelled to the moon and back...Steve Hayles has to be gone and Witt better get his shit together or he won't be too far behind him. The Chinese are not to forgiving when it comes to their noses being rubbed in it and a Witt personal circus they won't put up with

I don't think you understand the dynamic between Witt and his sponsor. They are personal friends who have sailed together for a reasonably long time. Paying for Witty to do the Volvo is petty cash for Lee and is about a friend helping another to realise his dream. I think he could end up last in every leg and it wouldn't sour the relationship between them. As for his results to date, it's not a surprise. Wait until we see some big wind sailing. I doubt he will be as quick a the leaders, but I would bet in those conditions he will look far better than he is looking now. The biggest issue he will face is the lack of crew. 7 is not enough to sail one of these boats on big offshore legs. He needs to see how he gets on in a Doldrums situation where you might go a couple of days with urgent sail changes every hour. At some point he will realise that he needs 2 women, but is biggest challenge will be to find any woman good enough who will put up with his misogynistic views. 

A Class that relationship is still pretty fresh and Lee is not the only one putting in the money. As for when it's fresh Witt will excel, however look around, there are few others who are arguably better equipped to go quick and stay in one piece.

I never said Witty would excel. I said he would do better. Who else is putting up money? From what I hear, the relationship might be fairly new but they have become very close.

Witty et al can't seem to get their heads around the offshore OD scene even after three Legs.  20 points behind in Leg 0.  Doesn't count but telling.  

1 hour ago, A Class Sailor said:

I never said Witty would excel. I said he would do better. Who else is putting up money? From what I hear, the relationship might be fairly new but they have become very close.

'when it gets fresh' is exactly when he'll need those extra bodies..  so its a lose-lose for them.

If they can't get it right with 7 in light airs..

Witt's trouble is attracting talent that is actually going to help the team get better. 

People don't talk about this much but Peter Blake progressively got better crew because he was safe to sail with and calm but professional. Over the long run, ppl like Blake and Burling types to sail with. 

There's a difference between being competitive but calm/focused like an eagle and competitive loud. 

There are women who will be willing to put Witt's attiude and potential for a horrible crew experience aside for a shot. But probably none who have practical exp that'll help his boat perform. 

First he would have to eat his hat and admit that 7+0 was a bad idea and worse choice. Then there should be enough candidates to choose from. Esp. if team 8 does not happen.

Volvo Ocean Race‏Verified account @volvooceanrace  5h5 hours ago

CORRECTION: @brunelsailing finished ahead of @TurnTidePlastic on the final stage of #LegZero – in fifth. Overall rankings aren't affected.