• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I'm seeing a large involvement of Red Bull in these days.

New big sponsor?

In I come to comment about the amount of VOR related content Red Bull are pushing and I see the above.... great minds.

I dont think they would have any other reason to do so unless they were considering entering a team?

Can't see that vid without signing in, but weren't RB a helmet sponsor (for tis a thing) for Oracle USA (whether or not there were US sailors onboard at the time) in the last AC? Might have been bitten by the bug?

Would be cool to see them sponsor a team though, good videos if nowt else

Can't see that vid without signing in, but weren't RB a helmet sponsor (for tis a thing) for Oracle USA (whether or not there were US sailors onboard at the time) in the last AC? Might have been bitten by the bug?

Would be cool to see them sponsor a team though, good videos if nowt else

There was Red Bull Youth America's Cup with AC45s for 19-24 year olds.

red-bull-youth-america-s-cup.jpg

yeap, VOR related footage keeps popping up on the Red Bull facebook feed. It would be great news if they join with a team or as a race sponsor at the next edition. It would increase the coverage considerably, as Red Bull Media House is quite a powerhouse these days. The name "Volvo" and its connotation of "safety" etc. (a value of Volvo) has always been a deterrent for RB to join this gig.

yeap, VOR related footage keeps popping up on the Red Bull facebook feed. It would be great news if they join with a team or as a race sponsor at the next edition. It would increase the coverage considerably, as Red Bull Media House is quite a powerhouse these days. The name "Volvo" and its connotation of "safety" etc. (a value of Volvo) has always been a deterrent for RB to join this gig.

It will become the Red Bull Ocean Race then! :-D

another novelty for the next edition. A very short leg to start with, Alicante-Lisbon. Not many tactical options, just a sprint to watch the horses for the first time.

Lisbon shall also be the refitting and training base prior to the 2017-18 race. With the contract with Alicante running out after this edition, Lisbon is positioning itself as the potential new headquarters for the race, I reckon.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9215_First-stop-Lisbon.html

That means we have the route. Pending the addition of stops of course.

Start in Alicante
Lisbon
Cape Town
Hong Kong
Auckland
Newport
Cardiff
Gothenburg
End in The Hague
NOR says start in Alicante.
Lisbon says 1st stop after Alicante.
Cardiff anouncement says they come from Newport.
The announcement of The Hague said says they come from Gothenburg.
The announcement of The Hague said that it will be the end of the 2017/18 race.

Mixing up Cape Town, Hong Kong, Auckland does not make too much sense.

well, my assumption of the HQ moving to Lisbon was quickly denied. Alicante and VOR have just announced that the race shall start from there in 2020 and 2023.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9216_Staying-put.html

on the remaining stopovers, we are just missing the South American and the Middle East one.

That means we have the route. Pending the addition of stops of course.

Start in Alicante
Lisbon
Cape Town
Hong Kong
Auckland
Newport
Cardiff
Gothenburg
End in The Hague
NOR says start in Alicante.
Lisbon says 1st stop after Alicante.
Cardiff anouncement says they come from Newport.
The announcement of The Hague said says they come from Gothenburg.
The announcement of The Hague said that it will be the end of the 2017/18 race.

Mixing up Cape Town, Hong Kong, Auckland does not make too much sense.

I would love to have the course of the first leg passing around Corsica, Sicily and maybe Malta!!!

In genova last year, the VOR organization said that they were working to have an italian team... It sounded just like bla bla.... but who knows!

In this case a close call to Italian coasts is possible.

Not bad to have a consolidation stop as getting out of the Med can be a crap shoot which puts a team deep on the first leg. Some very long legs in there, and a fair bit of north-south vv sailing, hard on crews and gear.

well, my assumption of the HQ moving to Lisbon was quickly denied. Alicante and VOR have just announced that the race shall start from there in 2020 and 2023.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9216_Staying-put.html

on the remaining stopovers, we are just missing the South American and the Middle East one.

Great to hear, and I still don't understand why the race doesn't end in Alicante. Cardiff, Gothenburg, The Hague then finish up with last leg to Alicante. Finish where you start.

In regards to Red Bull, sure seems like they are gearing up to participate in the next VOR. Would they limit themselves to sponsoring just one team, or do what they did for the AC and sponsor Oracle Team MUTT and the Youth Series? How about the Red Bull In-Port Race?

WetHog :ph34r:

Not related to the next edition, but an article in the french sports magazine L'Equipe yesterday mentioned a potential french entry for the 2020 VOR, led by Lionel Pean (winner of the '86 Whitbread).

Pean has been running SFS II (VOR 70 ex-Puma from 2011) in the french IRC(!) circuit for the last two years, after SFS I, ex Abu Dhabi, burnt on the hard in January '15. Obviously wins line honors in anything he enters (closest competition being a couple of TP52s), hopefully is a good platform for his sponsor at least....

Not quite sure how he plans to fund it, the article is very vague at this point, I fond it doubtful his current sponsor (http://www.sfs-groupe.com/en) would be able to pony up for that on its own.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Voile/Actualites/Lionel-pean-pense-a-la-volvo-ocean-race-2020/672546

M. - for what it's worth....

So the worst kept secret of Abu Dhabi not being in the race is confirmed, will be interesting to see who lines up. Announcements must be coming through soon.

doh ! I saw Newport and Cardiff and could't work out why they would have such a short leg with two stops in Wales :)

AD have done the race twice, got the win so time to move on to something else.

Hello there... just booked a charter for the Newport Stopover and thought I'd check out news etc, hard to believe we are 14-15 months from the start of another race! I noticed the route left out Brazil and had a run from CT to HK... Seems a strange choice given the options especially given a run to NZ would be epic. Oh well...

Dongfeng VO65 AIS signal just pop up Sweden port Goteborg - any clue ?

They are doing some events with young Swedish sailors, with Martin Stromberg. Some from SCA are also there.

Saw the route for the next race has been posted:

1. Alicante - Lisbon 700 nm

2. Lisbon - Cape Town 7,000 nm

3. Cape Town - Auckland 7,600 nm

4. Auckland - Hong Kong 5,700 nm

5. Hong Kong - Itajai 13,400 nm!!!!

6. Itajai - Newport 5,600 nm

7. Newport - Cardiff 3,300 nm

8. Cardiff - Gothenburg 1,230 nm

9. Gothenburg - The Hague 520 nm

That leg 5 is going to be an ass kicker....

Saw the route for the next race has been posted:

1. Alicante - Lisbon 700 nm

2. Lisbon - Cape Town 7,000 nm

3. Cape Town - Auckland 7,600 nm

4. Auckland - Hong Kong 5,700 nm

5. Hong Kong - Itajai 13,400 nm!!!!

6. Itajai - Newport 5,600 nm

7. Newport - Cardiff 3,300 nm

8. Cardiff - Gothenburg 1,230 nm

9. Gothenburg - The Hague 520 nm

That leg 5 is going to be an ass kicker....

Posted where?

They took it from a published amendment, They have already been told it is not the final route.

I hope not. Legs 4 and 5.....no bueno.

Why not Leg #3 be Cape Town to Hong Kong with a way point on Krakatoa to avoid the Malacca Straight, then Hong Kong to Auckland and Auckland to Itajai?

Because Itajai is not the list, at this time. =)

Official news from the VOR:

The 2017/18 announcement gets live streamed on FB, tomorrow 1100CEST / 0900UTC

It's the moment we've all been waiting for - almost exactly a year since the end of the 2014-15 Race, it's time to look forward to the next edition!

The last race was unforgettable, with the fleet navigating four oceans and five continents before a big finish in Gothenburg last June. And now, it's time to announce the route for the Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18.

What's in store, you ask?

Well with a host of exciting stopovers, including Alicante, Auckland, Cape Town, Cardiff, Gothenburg, The Hague, Hong Kong and Newport already announced, the next edition looks like it could be the best yet.

But it's not just about the puzzle pieces, it's about how they fit together - and tomorrow, in front of the world's media at the Race's HQ in Alicante, all will be revealed.

In the meantime, check out the video below featuring some of our most iconic racetracks to whet your appetite...

Are you following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram? We'll be covering the route announcement as it happens on our social media channels - and the good news is that we'll also be broadcasting the whole thing on Facebook Live!

The stream is scheduled to begin at 1100 CEST, so don't miss out - grab a comfy chair, fire up your Facebook, and join us as we lay the tracks for next time's fleet.

Wow!

VOR.png

That third leg...

Interesting... I never liked the through Strait of Malacca part.

I like that the Indian ocean lottery has been removed.

(And hopefully also the worst of the Agulhas head bashing....)

Thought the prospect of Tasman Sea to HK and return to Aukland seems somewhat "going through the motions" to appease sponsor demands.

I expect the crews to be full of dry observations of doing a Cul de Sac trip to visit their Asian relatives.

Be interesting to see if they remode the boats with different spec keels and sails, to make them less tender and better downwind / allround.

Otherwise the crews will all come off the back of this race very lopsided from the high angles of heel that were found to be fast last time around.

looks like a good route. is Australia to port specified or just artistic license and its down to the naviguessers which side to pass?

looks like they are keeping the options over for a 24hr pitstop in Sydney if they can convince a stopover.

That 3rd leg.....

Better than going from Cape Town to Auckland, then up to Hong Kong, but wow.

The real sailors will really enjoy that 3rd leg but what about those in the virtual race? ;)

Thank God Abu Dhabi pulled the pin allowing race to back get to the southern ocean. Tough stuff might not just be down there..sprint from Cardiff to Gothenburg leaving Scotland to stb could be a boat killer.

Thank God Abu Dhabi pulled the pin allowing race to back get to the southern ocean. Tough stuff might not just be down there..sprint from Cardiff to Gothenburg leaving Scotland to stb could be a boat killer.

+1. Great stopover in Abu Dhabi (despite the lack of crowds, but a great location) but the sail up there was boring as hell. Great route for the next edition. A pity they have to go up to Hong-Kong.

Spoke with Turner today. Some interesting discussion about the b-to-b and luxury VIP sponsorship model and the consumer branding/maximum exposure/growth of the sport model, and how to keep one from destroying the other. Also look for big OBR program changes similar to what we were begging for last time (rotating OBRs, landside editing). Also he said one new team with a brand new sponsor will be the first announcement, in a couple weeks.

looks like a good route. is Australia to port specified or just artistic license and its down to the naviguessers which side to pass?

It is, they have to leave Australia to port

I like that the Indian ocean lottery has been removed.

(And hopefully also the worst of the Agulhas head bashing....)

Thought the prospect of Tasman Sea to HK and return to Aukland seems somewhat "going through the motions" to appease sponsor demands.

I expect the crews to be full of dry observations of doing a Cul de Sac trip to visit their Asian relatives.

Be interesting to see if they remode the boats with different spec keels and sails, to make them less tender and better downwind / allround.

Otherwise the crews will all come off the back of this race very lopsided from the high angles of heel that were found to be fast last time around.

has there been talk of improving righting moment? course looks good.

The new course is clearly crying out for someone in Oz to step up to the plate and put together a stopover (and maybe a team).

I'll reiterate my bit of insanity. Sandy Oatley should run a stop over in Hamilton Island. Make it a premium B2B opportunity.

Forget about the prols, go for maximum ROI for the sponsors in a way that only an exclusive island resort could do.

An entry? Maybe. It isn't as if there isn't some reasonable ocean racing pedigree to hand. Whether anyone is is insane enough to

want to take a year out of their lives to do a VOR might be another matter. Much more of a difficult idea, but a stopover on Hamilton Island

could work astonishingly well if you think in terms of B2B opportunities for big sponsors.

Yes for a Oz entry but a fail for a stopover at Hamilton Is ....might be good for the Oakley's ....would do fuck all for anyone else save for the Bollinger swiggin brigade. Sydney on the other hand a cracker.

Yes for a Oz entry but a fail for a stopover at Hamilton Is ....might be good for the Oakley's ....would do fuck all for anyone else save for the Bollinger swiggin brigade. Sydney on the other hand a cracker.

Sydney for sure.

The only reason I suggest Hamilton is that despite the opportunities in the last couple of rounds there has been no interest from the obvious cities in Oz. Just seems to not be on the radar. I don't expect anything to change. So a left field bit of madness. Go for the core interests of the VOR and address the B2B interests. This is as much to underline the manner in which the real VOR has changed over the years. The prols (us) haven't mattered for ages anyway. So why not go the whole hog? It could actually make all round business sense in a manner the other stopovers don't always manage.

What I haven't looked at is the weather expectations when the circus would be there.

(Mind you, doing race week in Hamilton is still on my bucket list.)

Sydney, as a city, is just not interested in supporting international sailing events. I have been involved in three separate events and have always struggled to get support from the city. There seems to be an opinion that ailing will come anyway.

Spoke with Turner today. Some interesting discussion about the b-to-b and luxury VIP sponsorship model and the consumer branding/maximum exposure/growth of the sport model, and how to keep one from destroying the other. Also look for big OBR program changes similar to what we were begging for last time (rotating OBRs, landside editing). Also he said one new team with a brand new sponsor will be the first announcement, in a couple weeks.

Well, I guess you hinted to Team AkzoNobel led by Simeon Tienpont - now official announced in the Dutch news. http://nos.nl/artikel/2115523-tienpont-verrast-met-nieuwe-nederlandse-boot-in-volvo-ocean-race.html.

Interestingly, it's appears not to be one of the known Dutch initiatives.

first team announced: Dutch AkzoNobel with Simon Tienpont as skipper.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9229_Welcome-Team-AkzoNobel.html

so with Brunel, potentially two Dutch teams at the next edition. The Dutch really love this event.

They'll probably split the bill.

would be one of 3 in the making. As a reminder to the corporate crowd: A top notch VOR campaign will set you back less then the average dutch premier league football club like NAC Breda..(..that you all know so well...) .there should be some sponsor budgets available for epic ocean racing (route did not come from nowhere) live 24/7 The only thing is dutch economy could tank while the population is glued to their mobiles, tablets, and monitors.

Interestingly, it's appears not to be one of the known Dutch initiatives.

This is a surprise yes, but a good one. At least 1 Dutch boat is in the race. Tienpont and Akzonobel have kept total media silence up to now. I give a penny for the thoughts of Bouwe Bekking and his Sailing Holland initiative. Fishing in the same small pond for sponsoring by a Dutch company, and team resources. Tienpont has the advantage now. Fingers crossed for Bouwe!

I thought when Brunel was announced leading up to the last race, they had said that Schouten, the partner sponsor was going to enter the next edition as it's own entry. Obviously lots can change in 3-4 years, it seemd like a bold statement at the time.

Quite a coup for Tienpont. Considering how hard it is to get money together for sailing in the Netherlands, I doubt there will be a second Dutch entry. But, who knows.

Is there any good gossip about other possible entries (apart from the HK crowd)?

Bit behind the eight ball I know but this is awesome news. No Left Turn at Cape Town. I'll have to rename my virtual VOR yacht :)

I'll also be getting very excited if, like the last 3 VOR's that did not turn left at Cape Town, a little island off the South Coast of WA called Eclipse Island is included as a waypoint to bring the yachts closer to Oz and closer to Maritime Rescue services in the event that they are needed.

Rumor: a new boat will be built... maybe Akzo Nobel does not want an used one.

It is, they have to leave Australia to port

well - the big bit of it.

Imagine the media opportunities around Tasman if they'd left Tassie to port.

That is a loooong third leg.

I have it on very good authority that Dong are close to announcing their entry.

I have it on very good authority that Dong are close to announcing their entry.

yeap. Dongfeng (and Mapfre) are in

If there is really no Stopover in Australia and they have to sail this 12,000 nm Leg from Cape Town to Hongkong it could be getting very interesting once the Boats reach the Tasman Straight and head along the Australian Coast. They may have to sail through the Solomon Islands.

@Jeronimoll,

Yes, I hope Dongfeng does it again.

Wonder if they'll be balancing up a 24 hour stopover in Australia to restock and do some boatwork against fully stocking for the whole leg and keeping fingers crossed.

In the last edition, if they stopped off somewhere they had to stop off for 24 hours........(correct me if I'm wrong?).......so would they not consider a stop off and take the 24 hour hit if they could make it work for them?

One would imagine that the VOR office have been talking earnestly with anyone who they could think of to see if an Oz stopover was viable. It would make all sorts of sense. The lack of one would suggest that there simply wasn't a close enough meeting of minds to make it happen. It isn't as if they have not been here before, or that there are not a lot of people who they could talk to. But the consistent lack of an Oz team boat is a good start on realising the lack of big time interest here. Which is really sad. But the dire state of the economy is also a good reason no-one is about to step up to the mark.

As to taking a 24 hour penalty versus the gain with doing a restock - given the tightness of the last race, even a 24 minute penalty would probably be considered too risky.

For the VOR to add a pit-stop to the leg might be reasonable. Fly the flag, give the boats a chance to restock and fix the inevitable issues they will have accreted. But no-one really likes the pit-stops, so it isn't easy. (They could do one here in Adelaide. I would vote for that. Given Nick Bice lives here he might find it appealing too.)

[CUT] I Completely agree

If a Oz team will show up, the pit stop will be added for sure.

Last time they came this way 2 boats pit stopped in Albany - Movistar & Pirates of the Caribbean - and another dropped their mast about 1,200nm southwest of Leeuwin - Team Brazil. The leg was Cape Town to Melbourne.

I can't imagine them sailing all the way from Cape Town to Hong Kong without at least a 24 hour stopover somewhere in Oz. Hey they're more than welcome to stop here again but me thinks this event is a bit big for this place.

The decision would need to be made now. Certainly before the end of this year. As such I just can't see it. Not for the round after this. But they could eek put a third round with the 65s and cut to multis after that. That could provide the breathing room needed to make the transition viable.

Then the next big question. One design or not?

Cant see such an announcement being made until after the start of the current race, even if they are planning for it right now.

Any news about such a fleet switch would only serve to diminish and undermine current sponsorship search and devalue the "product" for those sponsors already signed on.

Overall better to drip feed such a possibility and build a story about how the event is evolving into its next exciting stage - and taking the current audience and sponsors onto the next level.

With respect to whether it will a one Design - whether you like the VO65 or not - it did deliver the race back from the brink of self induced extinction where one major sponsor would dominate each race edition by starting early and spending big - EF Language, Illbruck, ABN Amro, and Groupama. The boatyard concept at stopovers also allowed much cost saving to be had.

The AC has proved that you can over niche the sport into a technology corner that provides diminishing returns in terms of widening the audience appeal whilst at the same time making the costs horrific.

I personally love the tech and geeky shit - but I understand that for the more average audience, as long as it is "respectably" high tech it is worthy - then let the other elements make up the story and interest, whilst not dumbing down the competition.

Look at how F1 evolved into this ultra high technology that now has to have artificially engineered overtaking devices to allow there to be any interesting activity aside from who is leading. They have pushed the exclusivity of their sport so far that it is unsustainable and affordable by only very limited numbers.

Look at how the Vendee still thrives on the concept of one man in a battle to make it around the planet - the wider French public do not care that they now have one design mast choices - this it is not how the story or context of the Vendee Globe is delivered.

The Whitbread/Volvo has history and heritage - care needs to be taken in choosing how to take the next steps. Whether it is one design or not, mono or multihull, it is still a ferociously complex and expensive beast to undertake. The B2B model has proved to be both effective and sustainable, as well as giving the brand another point of difference from other sport sponsorship opportunities.

The difficulty becomes the picking of a route that satisfies both sponsor needs with providing sailing integrity - look at the push back that is being voiced more aggressively from those at the top of the sport about stadium sailing venues that are so contrived as to deliver neither good visuals, sailing or sponsor return. Such concerns can be had when the route around the world becomes so complex and circuitous that the logistics and sailing get too complex and the race itself becomes overly long, just so the race can visit all the major marketplaces as well as those emerging markets.......

And whether we like it or not - it is the Sponsors who must see value for any of this to occur.....

There is still a place in the wider market for a crewed mono RTW race with some history behind it..if it goes multi then it will be simply competing with the French-Centric multi offerings already happening and doing well....big fail if Volvo back that shit idea that Kurt left behind before he bailed out to go multi cruising.

So Brian Hancock put his thoughts on the front page. I largely agree with him. The IMOCA boats are more exciting that the current 65's and the Vendee itself has a stronger claim to the extreme adventure aspect of what used to make the Whitbread so exciting. And that is because technology marches on, and what used to be right out on the edge becomes commonplace. At some point the VOR on regular monohulls becomes like a more elaborate Olympic 470 race. Quite interesting to us knowledgeable people but not appealing to a wider, adventure oriented audience. Unfortunately, improving technology and knowledge can make previously exciting things boring, but that's the way it is.

Volvo multis wouldn't have to be particularly on the technical bleeding edge, more of a development of the Mod70's and Ultimes which have been pretty well sorted by now. Hancock points out it looks to be no more expensive to build these than to make new 65's. The increased speed would give you options of a shorter, cheaper race, or a race with more stop overs if you found you could make money that way. Also, to Jack's point, I don't think there is as much of a french multi scene as there could be. There's the Jules Verne trophy which isn't really a race, the big trans Atlantic races every few years and some regional races like the Fastnet. A multihull VOR would potentially complement the French multi infrastructure quite well.

I like the arguments for multihulls. Given that the Mod 70 was developed from the ORMA 60's to be safer in the ocean, they seem like a good starting point that was developed by those who have been there and done that. Adding in the Gitana (now Marerati) foiling mods, I wonder if it's necessary to go to 100+'. There may be an off the foils reduction in pitching in ocean size waves that make the added length worthwhile.

All good points - The MOD70 would be great - it was a concept that was undone more by circumstances out of its control than (remember that thing called the GFC) which sucked the appetite for such a event away more than the design deserved.

They are large enough to have presence without being too large for most ports to accommodate.

Blisteringly fast - would cover any crazy route as fast as could be hoped for.

Large enough to be wired for the multimedia/comms suite that is a pre-requisite.

Could be engineered into full foiling as proved by the BP/Maserati boat.

Moulds already exist - that cold be modified if the appetite was for updated aesthetics (- though really not worthy IMHO).

The boats would slot into TJV, RdeR, Fastnet and Ostar duties to further defray sponsor costs with good exposure very readily.

The need to give the Volvo fleet exposure outside Volvo race times should not be underestimated - its all about selling a package that can maintain critical mass and sustain sponsor returns.

What's not to like?

Changing to trimarans would make a huge difference and bring excitement back indeed. But do not forget the considerable costs involved for building the new boats, when VOR is still struggling to find enough team sponsors for the "smaller" One Design budget.

Not to mention the issue of requiring a third race village set as the container ships won't be fast enough to get to the stopovers on time. (A solution for this would be longer stopovers, but that is also costly).

I fear that despite Mark Turner's boldness, Volvo might force him to keep the VO65 for another round. Hope not, but could happen for economic reasons...

Changing to trimarans would make a huge difference and bring excitement back indeed. But do not forget the considerable costs involved for building the new boats, when VOR is still struggling to find enough team sponsors for the "smaller" One Design budget.

Not to mention the issue of requiring a third race village set as the container ships won't be fast enough to get to the stopovers on time. (A solution for this would be longer stopovers, but that is also costly).

I fear that despite Mark Turner's boldness, Volvo might force him to keep the VO65 for another round. Hope not, but could happen for economic reasons...

2 sets of 'Boatyard' would fix timing - always one port ahead

2 sets of 'Boatyard' would fix timing - always one port ahead

VOR has already two sets leapfrogging the stopovers...and they barely made it on time. With trimarans, they would need a third set

That was one of the major drawbacks of going multihull mentioned by Knut at the end of the last VOR cycle.

They are so fast that the VOR would need a 3rd set of the race village. Boatyard is one thing, sponsors buying yet another pavilion is another..

You just have no imagination our logistical finesse.

The solution is not more bases in motion, the solution is longer legs and longer stops.

But the real solution is to go back to roots. Let's see today's super maxis race a Whitbread style race. Wild Oats, Comanche. Rambler, a few new build and a dozen more racing on IRC.

That would be interesting.

Mapfre seen in Sanxenxo, Spain, the other day. Hope this means they will be in the next vor.

Hope so! I saw Vestas, Brunel and Dingdong in Gothenburg last Friday, but it probably just means that Volvo is playing with them :)

...... or that there is an announcement coming !!!!

I doubt it....the boats have been there for months already...

Announcements will come starting from mid autumn I think. Boats are ready and well known, therefore there is no rush.

Mapfre in Sansexo since ages (probably becase they bought the boat and not leased it) the other three doing corporate sailing.

This autumn starts also the overhaul of all the boats, and I guess Boat #8 is in production.

Let's keep an eye on "marine traffic.com" to see when the boats are converging in Portugal.

Cheerz

Announcements will come starting from mid autumn I think. Boats are ready and well known, therefore there is no rush.

Mapfre in Sansexo since ages (probably becase they bought the boat and not leased it) the other three doing corporate sailing.

This autumn starts also the overhaul of all the boats, and I guess Boat #8 is in production.

Let's keep an eye on "marine traffic.com" to see when the boats are converging in Portugal.

Cheerz

Martin Stromberg posted a picture of him waving goodbye to Dong Feng in Gothenburg this morning....guess the next stop is Portugal, then. I'm going to Gothenburg this weekend for a race and hope to see Brunel and Vestas out to play one more time :)

Interesting Volvo discussion on the SA podcast. Is handicap the long term solution or Is it multihull? Seems at least like that it will difficult to move to bigger monohulls, even if they're one design.

IRC was the Hail Mary maneuver, possible once every 25 years or so.

The rest sounds quite a bit like Multihull will be the way. Certainly not a lot of active denial. No denial at all if I remember correctly.

Also interesting to hear that the Turn Key aspect of the race has been expended, from RIB to the team pavilions to other unspecified things.

I guess one reason to chose IRC would be, as Mike S explained, to make the overall win accessible to boats with a smaller budget and thus would attract more teams overall. Also, as was discussed, offshore sailing has become more professional and physical, which makes it harder for lighter crew members, especially women to make it to the current teams. Another solution was going to Open 60's. Already a lot of boats around and would require smaller crews

Any hint the boat will not finish or bring embarrassment to the brand will hurt individual boat sponsorship opportunities. That is clearly a strike for new build leading edge designs. Anything the design does to limit the crew pool is not good for the Volvo program overall. The race needs to be one more about focus for days on end and less about leading edge boats coupled with razor edge sailors that are few and far between.

Does anyone know what the cost or range of costs are for each port stop and how much a port stop needs to produce to break even?

The The Hague 24-hours stopover did cost around EUR 677.000 for the municipality. But that event (and others) were heavily sponsored in order to promote The Hague as top sport city in The Netherlands, and lasted 3 full days. I'm not sure if these costs are just "extra" expenses like marketing (PR agency), banqueting (cheers!) or also including police and other staff from the municipality.

Source (Dutch): http://www.omroepwest.nl/nieuws/2862679/Volvo-Ocean-Race-kost-gemeente-Den-Haag-300-000-euro-meer

God not IRC. No.

I would maybe in favour of going to Hadicap, but I don't think the IRC rule would make nice boats. Fast maybe, but not as impressive.

I honestly think that the current form, with one design 65 footers works really well, and that it's how the race should stay for the foreseeable future.

Multihulls would be incredible from a sponsor's point of view with them looking spectacular and fast in every condition imaginable, but it would be such a massive departure from the race's roots I don't know if it's the best idea.

Interesting and crucial times for the race.

What the race's roots are is something it will never go back to. The world has moved on.

There was a time when any circumnavigation was a big deal. Now the oceans are replete with cruising boats circumnavigating. Once any solo circumnavigation was a big deal. Now it is a race.

There was time when the race was for adventurers. Now the RTW race for adventurers is a commercial operation called the Clipper.

There was a time when the race was a race for Corinthians. Then it became possible to make a career out of being a professional race sailor. Corinthians could no longer afford to compete.

It is what it is.

I think the idea was to make it more like Sydney Hobart or Fastnet Race, where you have a lot pro sailors, but also some amateurs and a wide range of boats. Obviously the slowest ones wouldn't be accepted, as it will take too long for them to complete a leg. Also I think that there maybe could be some interest from the maxi owners and then we would see 100+ footers join the race. But true it is, financing a RTW project isn't really the same as a S2H.

Anyways I think it is important that the future VOR boats are designed for the best sailors in the world, not the heaviest ones.

Interesting Volvo discussion on the SA podcast. Is handicap the long term solution or Is it multihull? Seems at least like that it will difficult to move to bigger monohulls, even if they're one design.

Why is the debate always that a long standing mono race needs to change to multis?