• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

It is a bid hard finding someone to take the double of both sentimental and actual favourite outside Bekking...all those times around since 85/86 and not a win and arguably the strongest team going around.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Really Norbow...then pray tell us how many Yuan is floating around supporting offshore competitive sailing outside this event? To save you the trouble the answer is the square root of fuck all.

I am sure Wang Bin would disagree with you. UBox ( a Cookson 50) which was 3rd overall IRC, 1st Overall ORCi in last year's Sydney Hobart is owned by him - the whole team was/is funded by him. The team is currently preparing for the Volvo Hong Kong - Vietnam Race (approx. 600 Nm) along with a number of other Chinese funded teams.

I wont tell you how much he has spent on offshore yachting but I can assure you it is waaaay more than the square root of fuck all!

Don't forget that sailing is a new sport in China outside the vocational (paid) national and provincial teams - less than 17 years and offshore sailing even younger. Give them time.

Just sayin

'SS

Well well; as any team manager with any sense defers to the best, most skilled, most experienced, person available when they want their team to win, we can expect Dee's boat to be sailed by Brian.

Suddenly Dee has become my favourite to win this edition.

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is a bid hard finding someone to take the double of both sentimental and actual favourite outside Bekking...all those times around since 85/86 and not a win and arguably the strongest team going around.

I have to agree with you to some extent. I think this race is going to be a shit-fight between Dongfeng, Mapfre and Brunel.

Some real quality amongst these three teams. Pascal Vs Capey in front of the computer screes, Rob Greenhalgh - super fast driver, the Chinese sailors which how will have their "rookie" status dropped by the media, some hard drivers and 3 good skippers.

One thing is for sure, I haven't run down the bookies to place a bet.

2 Hours to the Prologue and we are already on page 40 of this thread, could a SA record be broken b4 the Hague? Ha Ha!

37 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Gee wizz mate one owner doesn't make a summer.

SS 

But someone has to be the first and wind the clock back to when Americans were making their first millions how many of them went out in a boat OFFSHORE within 15 yeas of the sport starting there? The developmental time lines of countries do not run at the same time but if you actually do any research they are remarkably similar.

There are more millionaires here than the whole of Europe (Source: Forbes) and the country has a 15,000km coastline so it is only a matter of time.

Beside, it perhaps doesn't mean the arrival of summer but one swallow has to be first- does it not?

Anyway, my glass is half full! How about yours? ;-)

SS

23 minutes ago, staysail said:

Well well; as any team manager with any sense defers to the best, most skilled, most experienced, person available when they want their team to win, we can expect Dee's boat to be sailed by Brian.

Na, Dongfeng wins hopefully...fingers crossed :)

With just about 1 hour to go to the start of the prologue, is there actually going to be any coverage?

I've just looked at the website and can only see a pretty dry news article which lists the crews.

14 minutes ago, staysail said:

With just about 1 hour to go to the start of the prologue, is there actually going to be any coverage?

I've just looked at the website and can only see a pretty dry news article which lists the crews.

They have started already. Start was 14.00 Local Time. I think Dongfeng nailed that one.

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

They have started already. Start was 14.00 Local Time. I think Dongfeng nailed that one.

The question was "Is there any coverage?"

Brilliant.

Website says start is 1400 local time Lisbon.

Time in Lisbon now according to Google is 1317.

Alinghi4ever says they have already started!

Confusion reigns as usual for this event, and is there any coverage linked from the website?

No wonder the event is on its uppers!

And you call that blog coverage!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, staysail said:

Brilliant.

Website says start is 1400 local time Lisbon.

Time in Lisbon now according to Google is 1317.

Alinghi4ever says they have already started!

Confusion reigns as usual for this event, and is there any coverage linked from the website?

No wonder the event is on its uppers!

And you call that blog coverage!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was wrong. I apologize for the confusion. You are right. It's 13.27 in Lisbon local Time; 30 Minutes to the start.

1 minute ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Sorry, I was wrong. I apologize for the confusion. You are right. It's 13.27 in Lisbon local Time; 30 Minutes to the start.

So what you said about Dongfeng nailing it was pure fiction???!!!!!

What a fiasco.

There we go. Now we know what's happened:

Race Management has indicated it intends to postpone and move the start of the Prologue Leg due to light winds. The fleet is now motoring due south where Race Management will reassess the conditions.

Just like last time! Absolutely no coverage by VOR.

Surely by now they must be embarassed not to be operating any tracker and that people who are interested in their event have to resort to third parties like Vessefinder and Marine Traffic. Avid fans like A4E and SS desparately trying to faithfully support, only to end up putting out absolute misinformation!

RIP VOR.

1 hour ago, staysail said:

As this blog seems to be the official only source of news, am I just being a bit slow, but why can't i find this blog from the menu on the VOR site?. Click "News" and you only get the dumb, out of date, blathering articles, no actual news.

Click Racing on the main menu or the scroll at the top which reads Prologue Live Blog.

Liked it better last race where it just said Tracker. Seemed more obvious.

I thought the tracker was supposed to be live...? I guess since they haven't officially started, that is why the boats on the tracker appear still in Lisbon...? Anyone know how often they are updating that tracker this edition? I recall someone saying somewhere that the boats are receiving position reports every six hours. Dear god I hope the tracker is updated more frequently than that!

8 minutes ago, Rat Pack said:

Click Racing on the main menu or the scroll at the top which reads Prologue Live Blog.

Liked it better last race where it just said Tracker. Seemed more obvious.

I thought the tracker was supposed to be live...? I guess since they haven't officially started, that is why the boats on the tracker appear still in Lisbon...? Anyone know how often they are updating that tracker this edition? I recall someone saying somewhere that the boats are receiving position reports every six hours. Dear god I hope the tracker is updated more frequently than that!

Last time they updated the Tracker every 3 Hours but then that was when good Knut Frostad was still CEO. You don't necessarily need the Tracker as "Race Control" has their own Twitter Account for this Edition and they'll update 24/7 once Racing (Leg 1) starts.

3 hours ago, staysail said:

Brian will not be onboard until after Melbourne. He is still recovering from a broken leg. 

In the meantime Nico Lundven, Figaro champion,  will be the navigator. 

I really fail to understand why VOR doesn't even want people to follow this event. So many obstacles put in the way. I eventually found the "blog" link, but when clicking on "racing" the web site showed a different screen for several seconds, before eventually coming up with "Dashboard" ( what is the dashboard?) and the Blog. If they have a Blog and that is really where the News is, why not show the Blog as a link directly on the menu, and why show articles which are not "News" under the "News" link?
Since third party AIS sites are the only way, in the absence of a sensible continuous tracker, by which one can see where the boats are and what they are doing, it would be a good move for VOR also to provide links to Marine Traffic and Vesselfinder, and to get the boat identification on those websites up to date. For example, TTOP appears as a photo of Vestas on Vesselfinder!.  (Oh but of course, VOR don't want us to know about Marine Traffic and Vesselfinder!)

7 minutes ago, Potter said:

Brian will not be onboard until after Melbourne. He is still recovering from a broken leg. 

Both are top guys and good for Dee! I had forgotten about Brian's leg.

11 minutes ago, Potter said:

And Dee's had enough insight to plan to bring both for one of the more annoying legs from China to Auckland. South China Sea is always harder than ppl expect and the routing decision of whether to stick closer to the Philippines Sea to Solomon islands or head towards Guam before gyping for New Caledonia will be tough routing for navigators. 

Live Call from "Race Control" with Meteorologist Gonzalo Infante & Sam Matson...

I absolutely love these guys...real Insights & Strategy.

24 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Live Call from "Race Control" with Meteorologist Gonzalo Infante & Sam Matson...

I absolutely love these guys...real Insights & Strategy.

If that is what you call "coverage of an event" we are not on the same planet.

Absolutely pathetic!

Just now, scottyMO said:

Thank you so much for your constant complaining this morning, really truly, shut the fuck up about it now you dumbshit

Happy that you are enjoying it so much. Takes all sorts.

1 minute ago, staysail said:

It's the Prologue dude, and you're pissing and moaning to no fucking end. So your sad about it and think it all should be handed to you for free or something, nobody fucking cares anymore about your opinion. Shut up already

3 minutes ago, staysail said:

Have to agree with him. Stop this. We've a "Live Tracker" which is actually "Live". That's all we can ask for.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Have to agree with him. Stop this. We've a "Live Tracker" which is actually "Live". That's all we can ask for.

Seriously, is there really a tracker for this Prologue? If so where?

I am following on Marine Traffic.

5 minutes ago, staysail said:

Seriously, is there really a tracker for this Prologue? If so where?

I am following on Marine Traffic.

Click on "Dashboard". The VOR is Live from the beginning about an Hour ago. Your complaints are really sickening.

10 minutes ago, scottyMO said:

It's the Prologue dude, and you're pissing and moaning to no fucking end. So your sad about it and think it all should be handed to you for free or something, nobody fucking cares anymore about your opinion. Shut up already

Yes, he is nuts. I really like what they are doing.

6 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Click on "Dashboard". The VOR is Live from the beginning about an Hour ago. Your complaints are really sickening.

Seems the problem is that the VOR website doesn't work on the Firefox browser. Clicking on Dashboard gives you the tracker but without any boats or activity. Hope you guys can see why that is a bit frustrating, and anyway "Dashboard" isn't "Tracker" and if it doesn't work you have no way of knowing it even exists!  I tried another PC running IE and sure enough it works. Firefox doesnt have any problems with other trackers though.

If A4E hadn't insisted there was a live tracker and Sailing Anarchy did'nt exist no one running Firefox could find out! Maybe you guys with the foul language could be a bit more considerate?

27 minutes ago, staysail said:

Seems the problem is that the VOR website doesn't work on the Firefox browser. Clicking on Dashboard gives you the tracker but without any boats or activity. Hope you guys can see why that is a bit frustrating, and anyway "Dashboard" isn't "Tracker" and if it doesn't work you have no way of knowing it even exists!  I tried another PC running IE and sure enough it works. Firefox doesnt have any problems with other trackers though.

If A4E hadn't insisted there was a live tracker and Sailing Anarchy did'nt exist no one running Firefox could find out! Maybe you guys with the foul language could be a bit more considerate?

For me it works under Firefox...

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard.html

The Dashboard has a Live Tracker.

2 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Well for me it doesn't work on Firefox but does on IE. Sailing Anarchy has put VOR in touch and I have given them the Firefox version details. I have followed many other races (including the Mini right now), and have had no other issues with any race site trackers on Firefox before this.

22 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Probably an AdBlock on elements on the tracker. Common complaint ppl get from foamy frothing farts on mini transat, VG, VOR site elements. 

Edit: autocorrect does funny hings . By foamy frothing farts I meant JavaScript media elements. 

Can someone explain the benefit of having this warm up non-scoring leg? I'm sure some of the teams might have better things to concentrate on. I don't get it.

A not very flattering photo angle or someone has been into the pies over summer. Maybe they should be swimming this prologue?

DLo3hU1X4AEgsKs.jpg

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can someone explain the benefit of having this warm up non-scoring leg? I don't get it.

A not very flattering photo angle or someone has been into the pies over summer. Maybe they should be swimming the prologue?

DLo3hU1X4AEgsKs.jpg

Practice run for media team/last minute adjustments. Need to get the fleet from Lisbon to Alincante. Might as well try and squeeze some coverage about it. 

Thanks Miffster. Never thought about benefit of warming up the media machine Inc the OBR's. 

Speaking of OBR's this kid in Peter Blake's arms at the end of the 89/90 Whitbread is the OBR on AkzoNobel

images (90).jpg

They need some relationship to dev before Leg 1 - since the OBRs are independent this time around, someone needs to figure out which sad sack (or honorable leader of OBR who sacrifices himself) needs to ride on Witty's boat and listen to him being a jackass and represent his sponsors poorly. At least the crew are nice. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:38 AM, southerncross said:

The good ol' days.  Remarkable how the skippers (Blake) would be in charge of everything from campaigning, boat build and stopovers.

Thanks for that Southern.  One of my biggest regrets was not signing on to Taylor's NZI Enterprise of the '85-'86 go around. A lot of the team were jumping ship in Ft. Lauderdale, while I was there crewing on a large Swan and looking for new work.  I interviewed with Taylor and he wanted me on, but then I chatted with some of the guys that were leaving, and they were older and smarter than me. Turned out to be a bit of a shoestring budget disaster race in the end. But...........  

^^^ Lauderdale would have been stop over during the delivery to the start. A hands on owner and shoe string budget maybe but a fuckin quick  boat with a lot of talent on board  ie Ross Field, Murray Ross, Steve Wilson, Mike Keeton and others. 85/86 was probably the first year that some teams were getting pretty good money which tended to make Taylor's program look cheap and nasty in some eyes. They came second into Auckland which to beat Blake the more popular local hero was pretty special for them. I think it was an unlucky boat though running aground on delivery, mast went kinky before getting to Cape Town and eventually coming down after Auckland etc.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can someone explain the benefit of having this warm up non-scoring leg? I'm sure some of the teams might have better things to concentrate on. I don't get it.

A not very flattering photo angle or someone has been into the pies over summer. Maybe they should be swimming this prologue?

DLo3hU1X4AEgsKs.jpg

Witty doesn't need to train before the race, he's a natural athlete. 

23 minutes ago, mad said:

Witty doesn't need to train before the race, he's a natural athlete. 

He's a social experiment. Can money and memories of being a young fit cat sailor overcome conditioning. 

Quite impressed by the raceblog on the VOR site. If they keep up this rate of updating around the world, much of our senseless speculation here will be even more futile than in previous races :).

Some of the Southern boats look like they are out of breeze.

and here it is...

Raw feed

VOr are supplying what you have asked for.

No doubt Staysail will still bitch and moan that he is not getting enough content, and that it doesn't work for him...

Just after sunrise now, we might soon see some Raw Content of the battle between Mapfre and Brunel.

Bring on the water bombs !

Guess I must be jinxed when it comes to following the VOR on their website. Attached screenshots show what I get for the Dashboard, and Raw content links, on IE and Firefox. Also Marine Traffic on Firefox. Note that both browsers have no problems with any other websites (including SA and the Mini Transat Tracker). As it all seems to work perfectly for you guys, as they say,  Enjoy!

Firefox-Dashboard.jpg

Firefox-Raw content.jpg

IE-Dashboard.jpg

IE-Raw content.jpg

Marine Traffic.jpg

Shortly it is all that porn you browse and indirectly gum up your keyboard with. Run down the road, confess to a priest, come home and never to let your hands slip below horizontal again...you will be sweet.

Is this the thread about the VOR or Avenue Q?
Some days I can't remember.

How to fix the firefox issue.
I'd ditch AdBlock Plus and go with uBlock Origin instead. Same functionality and more. On the upside it is under very active development. Both use the same lists to block things.
The tracker may still have issues, in that case go to settings of uBO and check the "advanced user" checkbox. Close settings, reload tracker. Now you have much more options and can make fine grained adjustments for a site. geovoile.com should be partially blocked (dark yellow marker) klick on the ++ and reload, the tracker should work now.

15 hours ago, forss said:

If tracker is not working then disable adblocker on this site. Geovoile chose unfortunate filenames for its scripts and it will get blocked in most common adblock lists.

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Shortly it is all that porn you browse and indirectly gum up your keyboard with. Run down the road, confess to a priest, come home and never to let your hands slip below horizontal again...you will be sweet.

That, and disable your adblocker as well. Seems to fuck with the page content !

Chasm and Fiji F. I am not a geek and both Firefox and IE work perfectly on my pc with all other websites, (including others which use geovile trackers) so I am not about to start trying to fix something which plainly isn't broke.

2 minutes ago, staysail said:

Chasm and Fiji F. I am not a geek and both Firefox and IE work perfectly on my pc with all other websites, (including others which use geovile trackers) so I am not about to start trying to fix something which plainly isn't broke.

Well stop fucking whinging about it then.

16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Miffster. Never thought about benefit of warming up the media machine Inc the OBR's. 

Speaking of OBR's this kid in Peter Blake's arms at the end of the 89/90 Whitbread is the OBR on AkzoNobel

images (90).jpg

That's just great.  A bit of an adventure himself.

16 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Thanks for that Southern.  One of my biggest regrets was not signing on to Taylor's NZI Enterprise of the '85-'86 go around. A lot of the team were jumping ship in Ft. Lauderdale, while I was there crewing on a large Swan and looking for new work.  I interviewed with Taylor and he wanted me on, but then I chatted with some of the guys that were leaving, and they were older and smarter than me. Turned out to be a bit of a shoestring budget disaster race in the end. But...........  

You know what they say about regrets ...  

The Tracker, Dashboard and Raw Content are everything we have been bitching for.  Looks great.  Works perfectly on the Apple BTW.

I wonder if the content is rich because they are inshore with less of a bandwidth problem?  Will it be the same offshore?  Live?

Schakel, still another 100nm to go until they get to the Straits of Gibraltar, still in Portuguese waters at the moment. Certainly looks as though the Northern option was the right one last night.

Staysail, I am getting all the info on Mac, Android or Windows 10; so I really think the problem is with your set up. 

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Clear to me Mapfre and Brunel choose the right side of the street of Gibraltar.
prologue.thumb.PNG.68c57dd7e6b7c7b417e9b60f2c507adb.PNG

Always trust Juan Vila...

You might say that going inshore was a "local knowledge" call.  But there has to be some local knowledge on all of the boats.  Wondering how much longer the inshore route will hold up?

Well, that makes live easy.

For those playing along at home:
An EasyPrivacy rule gets triggered by tracker.js, specifically http://volvooceanrace.geovoile.com/2017/tracker/tracker.js - chances are that other lists also have such a rule.

With uBlock Origin it is relatively easy to make an exception. Even better that rules are by default tied to a site. On the dashboard the rule applies to geovoile.com and only on volvooceanrace.com. If you open the tracker directly (http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard-only.html) instead you have to add another rule because it is no longer volvooceanrace.com. (Or add a global rule instead. The right column with + and - is site specific, the empty middle column is global.)

The whole split was weird...it was if once darkness fell Vila and Capey just kept doing what they had been doing slowly leveraging away from the fleet who were so fixated with covering each other at close quarters they didn't notice until it was too late. Then at daylight got literally sucked south and sideways by a unforeseen change. I see Plastic who had fell off the back didn't bother following them.

21 minutes ago, Potter said:

Staysail, I am getting all the info on Mac, Android or Windows 10; so I really think the problem is with your set up. 

OK Potter, thanks for the info, but I run Win 7 like millions of others and this is literally the only website which I have used which doesn't work properly with both IE and with Firefox. Many folk like me don't want to disturb a good working system especially when we rely on it for our work. If the VOR site won't work for me then I just won't be able to use it, which is a bit of a disappointment since obviously many others with Android. Mac, Win 10 etc. judging from the screenshots of other forum users, seem to be getting good info this time.

Actually for me the Mini-transat is a more significant race at the moment and I have no difficulties with that website.

4 hours ago, Chasm said:

Is this the thread about the VOR or Avenue Q?
Some days I can't remember.

How to fix the firefox issue.
I'd ditch AdBlock Plus and go with uBlock Origin instead. Same functionality and more. On the upside it is under very active development. Both use the same lists to block things.
The tracker may still have issues, in that case go to settings of uBO and check the "advanced user" checkbox. Close settings, reload tracker. Now you have much more options and can make fine grained adjustments for a site. geovoile.com should be partially blocked (dark yellow marker) klick on the ++ and reload, the tracker should work now.

Thanks for the tip Chasm. I had disabled uBlock for the Volvo tracker, but now with your clear explanation, it's back on, and I've learned something usefull!

As for the prologue, great start by Mapfre and Brunel with their inshore option. It's painful to see all the others stuck in a big hole... Gibraltar sure is a tricky affair!

51 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The whole split was weird...it was if once darkness fell Vila and Capey just kept doing what they had been doing slowly leveraging away from the fleet who were so fixated with covering each other at close quarters they didn't notice until it was too late. Then at daylight got literally sucked south and sideways by a unforeseen change. I see Plastic who had fell off the back didn't bother following them.

None of the teams utilized the option of going stealth - it looks like the fleet that went further offshore were late by about 2hrs and missed an opportunity to break out, instead they got trapped and the morning wind that was supposed to arrive at first light never materialized. The coastal route was risky because of current systems, but seems to be paying off - tho I wouldn't be so sure because it looks like a parking lot just east of the rock and if the wind isn't cooperating the teams might be fighting to not get carried out again.

1 hour ago, staysail said:

OK Potter, thanks for the info, but I run Win 7 like millions of others and this is literally the only website which I have used which doesn't work properly with both IE and with Firefox. Many folk like me don't want to disturb a good working system especially when we rely on it for our work. If the VOR site won't work for me then I just won't be able to use it, which is a bit of a disappointment since obviously many others with Android. Mac, Win 10 etc. judging from the screenshots of other forum users, seem to be getting good info this time.

Actually for me the Mini-transat is a more significant race at the moment and I have no difficulties with that website.

So you're going to stay off the VOR threads because you still use Windows NT?

I fucking love the elderly!

We are back to the 6-Hour Updates nonsense we had during the 2011/2012 Edition. 4 Tracker Updates a Day is definitly not enough. All because of the "Geovile Crap". 14/15 had a different Tracker who updated every 3 Hours. They will need to go back to that PRONTO.

Huh?
The tracker update frequency has nothing to do with Geovoile and everything with what the race organizer, here VOR, decides.

19 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Huh?
The tracker update frequency has nothing to do with Geovoile and everything with what the race organizer, here VOR, decides.

Tell me why they going back from 3 Hour Updates (2014/2015) to 6 Hour Updates. What a bunch of children

Update from Race Control:

DLtz2AvWsAA6roM.jpg

If these GRIBS are anywhere near correct (which they often ain't) it's quite possible that MAPFRE & Brunel in the north could be parked for quite awhile (losing most or all of the gains they made today) while the boats in the south will use the NE gradient getting to the entrance of the Straits of Gibraltar.

That next Update going to be interesting...

3 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Update from Race Control:

DLtz2AvWsAA6roM.jpg

Not surprising.  Have yet to see a proper split pulled off since going OD.

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Not surprising.  Have yet to see a proper split pulled off since going OD.

I've Brunel now on Marine Traffic heading north towards the Spanish Coast. What is Capey thinking?

@southerncross,

I think the Prologue Leg has just gotten more exciting :D

8 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

I've Brunel now on Marine Traffic heading north towards the Spanish Coast. What is Capey thinking?

Did Mapfre go Stealth?  I can't find them on MT.

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Did Mapfre go Stealth?  I can't find them on MT.

No idea where MAPFRE is? They were close to Brunel at the Report at 16.00 UTC (some 3 Miles ahead or so) so I assume these two are going to watch each others moves :)

We'll find out in the next 12 Hours who will be first at the Straits ;)