• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

13 minutes ago, Retired Sailor said:

You're worried about the update cycle? Give some thought to the wretched people out there living it every second. I'm sure it's hell, even if the Prologue doesn't count!

That's not hell.  Hell is a Chinese Gybe in a gale driving 30 knots down 6 meter seas, 40 freezing degrees south on a black, moonless night with the smell of growlers about.

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

That's not hell.  Hell is a Chinese Gybe in a gale driving 30 knots down 6 meter seas, 40 freezing degrees south on a black, moonless night with the smell of growlers about.

A bit like the Australian Cricketer and WW2 Fighter pilot Keith Miller being asked if he felt pressure batting that day.

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

That's not hell.  Hell is a Chinese Gybe in a gale driving 30 knots down 6 meter seas, 40 freezing degrees south on a black, moonless night with the smell of growlers about ....and knowing your best mate back home is probably shagging your girlfriend.

Fixed

2 hours ago,  southerncross said: 

That's not hell.  Hell is a Chinese Gybe in a gale driving 30 knots down 6 meter seas, 40 freezing degrees south on a black, moonless night with the smell of growlers about ....and knowing your best mate back home is probably shagging your girlfriend.

Fixed

Haha!

That's not hell.  Hell is a Chinese Gybe in a gale driving 30 knots down 6 meter seas, 40 freezing degrees south on a black, moonless night with the smell of growlers about ....and knowing your best mate back home, whom your dog likes better than you, is probably shagging your girlfriend

12 hours ago, Miffy said:

....it looks like the fleet that went further offshore were late by about 2hrs and missed an opportunity to break out, instead they got trapped and the morning wind that was supposed to arrive at first light never materialized.

Miff maybe this summer's fires in Portugal are playing havoc with the normal seabreeze pattern more than many appreciate??

Which OBR is on which boat?

With video making its way to YT different styles can be seen. But who has which style?

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

Which OBR is on which boat?

Chasm who's your Daddy

Dongfeng OBR - Jérémie Lecaudey

Mapfre OBR - Jen Edney

AkzoNobel OBR - James Blake

Brunel OBR - Richard Edwards

Scallywag OBR - Konrad Frost

Turn the Tide on Plastic OBR - Sam Greenfield

Vestas OBR - Martin Keruzoré

Boat #8 OBR - Staysail

29 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Boat #8 OBR - Staysail

Thanks Jack. Employment, a brand new boat, and I don't even have to do any work!

Great routing by Nico Lunven on Turn the Tide on Plastic, they went from last to 3rd with a good weather option. Quite impressive.

The fleet is compressing a bit at the last update, but Mapfre and Brunel still have a good lead. Brunel has managed to get a bit of separation with Mapfre, but will it pay?

vorprologue.PNG

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

^^^^Can hardly be navigation as they have stuck with the pack. They have a boat speed issue or are foxing.

I was going to same the same thing but I was reading about Fridtjof Nansen.

3 hours ago, Hydrogene said:

Great routing by Nico Lunven on Turn the Tide on Plastic, they went from last to 3rd with a good weather option. Quite impressive.

Not really they got to the crossroad and had a choice of either following Mapfre and Brunel or the others out to sea. Maybe the coin should get the congrats.

Why not give Dee a pat on the back for making a good decision/choice.

Pascal is taking the Chinese boat deep and Scally is giving chase.  3 mindsets showing now - high road, middle and low.

22 hours ago, staysail said:

Thanks Jack. Employment, a brand new boat, and I don't even have to do any work!

Actually it is not the brand new 65...the Clogmiesters on Paintball Wizard got that one...you have the pinky girls old boat..thought that OB position and that boat was sort of apt having regard to your posts. You really need to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

anyone knows the ETA in Alicante?

I don't know about ETA to Alicante, but the distance to finish has just changed from 150ish Nm to 13.3Nm for Mapfre.  I guess the Committee Boat has just hung out the S flag.

23 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Chasm who's your Daddy

Dongfeng OBR - Jérémie Lecaudey

Mapfre OBR - Jen Edney

AkzoNobel OBR - James Blake

Brunel OBR - Richard Edwards

Scallywag OBR - Konrad Frost

Turn the Tide on Plastic OBR - Sam Greenfield

Vestas OBR - Martin Keruzoré

Boat #8 OBR - Staysail

Which navigator is on what boat:

Dongfeng Nav - Pascal Bidégorry

Mapfre Nav - Joan Vila

AkzoNobel Nav - Jules Salter

Brunel Nav - Andrew Cape

Scallywag Nav - Steve Hayles

Turn the Tide on Plastic Nav - Nicolas Lunven

Vestas Nav - Simon Fisher

Boat #8 Nav - Jack Sparrow

1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

anyone knows the ETA in Alicante?

Dont they have to be in Alicante by tomorrow ready for Saturday's In-Port? If so they need to get a wriggle on.

In-Port starts might be more interesting than usual. Wittys style is a combo of 18' skiffies and I'm the biggest 100' elephant in the room. Are they live??? I have never watched them.

Prologue shortened. ETA in Alicante Thursday morning (under motor then). 

Volvo Ocean Race Prologue Leg course shortened

The Volvo Ocean Race Prologue Leg has been shortened, with the compulsory gate off Cabo de Gata now becoming the finish line.

Race Director Phil Lawrence informed the teams at 0800 UTC on Wednesday morning when the leading boats were approximately two hours from the gate.

The teams are currently sailing in winds near 10 knots. But the forecast is for the wind to ease significantly on the other side of the cape. 

With the shortened course, the fleet is expected to begin arriving in Alicante early on Thursday morning local time.

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

and Shackles if I really wanted to hear from an arsehole I would simply fart.

That would be your own arsehole...

22 minutes ago, schakel488 said:

That would be your own arsehole...

ahhh yes...I haven't yet quite perfected the art of farting out of someone else's. If I do I will worldwide patent the technique and end up very very fuckin rich. 

Hi everybody!

My first contribution on SA!

i wonder how the VMG can be higher than the SOG (see picture).
Can someone tell me? 

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-11 um 11.25.31.png

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

In-Port starts might be more interesting than usual. Wittys style is a combo of 18' skiffies and I'm the biggest 100' elephant in the room. Are they live??? I have never watched them.

They were live last edition so I expect no less this time around!

59 minutes ago, Milli said:

Hi everybody!

My first contribution on SA!

Must be ..be kind week. Son this is a huge break with tradition...however your off the hook if you simply post a pic of your sisters favourite kitchen appliance. 

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^Thanks NorChick..helpful as always.

:)  It will be the highlight of this weekend! I have some friends who'll travel to Alicante to watch the in-port or Leg start. Personally, I'm considering going to Hong Kong for the stopover there....nice occasion to visit a friend and also have a closer look at the boats! Flights are actually cheaper from Norway to Hong Kong than to Alicante also.....

2 hours ago, Milli said:

i wonder how the VMG can be higher than the SOG (see picture).
Can someone tell me? 

It's called "The Fourth Mode"

19 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Personally, I'm considering going to Hong Kong for the stopover there....nice occasion to visit a friend and also have a closer look at the boats!

And temps in the T Shirt high teens instead of a minus sign in front for you at home. Good move.

Probably means batshit but that warm up leg for the OBR's ended up being the Villa and Capey show and by a country mile...other Nav's will now be under the pump big time for the real thing.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Probably means batshit but that warm up was the Villa and Capey show by a country mile...other Nav's will now be under the pump big time.

Mapfre was dialed in early on.  They've looked dominant from the get go.  

Surprised to see inconsistency in DF.  Reminds me of the last go around.  Talented and promising but inconsistent.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the standings of this race become the standings of the race overall - except DF and Brunell battling for second.

BTW.  The Raw Content is really a step in the right direction.  Keeps it all centralized and traffic driven to the site obviously.  I wonder if they stopped short of adding a Forum?

Video: TtTOP didn't transfer their water ballast before a tack and had to bail the leward tank bucket by bucket. I didn't know they only had gravity fed.  No pumps?   

Just now, southerncross said:

Surprised to see inconsistency in DF.  Reminds me of the last go around.  Talented and promising but inconsistent.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the standings of this race become the standings of the race overall - except DF and Brunell battling for second, and Witty taking out the start boat in the first In-Port, the Scallymonster sinking, then him swimming away quickly towards Morroco to the sounds of Kung Fu swords being sharpened.

Fixed....actually I want them to prove me wrong and do well, he and that team are trying fuckin hard I'm sure and they sort of have that oily rag privateer flavour, even though there might be bucket loads of money in the background.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fixed....actually I want them to prove me wrong and do well, he and that team are trying fuckin hard I'm sure and they sort of have that oily rag privateer flavour, even though there might be bucket loads of money in the background.

There is one video from Scally in the Raw Feed and it's of Witt, of course, bemoaning their position and reiterating how tight OD racing is.  The kid on the helm looked pretty miserable.

7 minutes ago, Potter said:

I will be happy if this is the info we are getting for the coming race. TTTOP admitting a cock up and showing how to deal with it.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/583.html

I posted about this ^^^.  Have the tanks always been gravity fed?  No pumps?  I don't recall ever seeing a team hand bail a tank.

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I posted about this ^^^.  Have the tanks always been gravity fed?  No pumps?  I don't recall ever seeing a team hand bail a tank.

The tanks are fairly simple for reliability sake. There's a foot operated valve you pop open, fills tank with a scoop at the front, drains at the rear. 

The TTT folks just forgot before they tacked. And once they did you can't drain the tank by gravity because it is now on the leeward side and below the water line. 

Just now, Miffy said:

The tanks are fairly simple for reliability sake. There's a foot operated valve you pop open, fills tank with a scoop at the front, drains at the rear. 

The TTT folks just forgot before they tacked. And once they did you can't drain the tank by gravity because it is now on the leeward side and below the water line. 

Right.  But you could transfer the water via a pump to the other tank which is how some ballast systems are set up.  And the leeward tank should have been easy to drain. Maybe the drain malfunctioned?  Anyway, just never saw bailing a ballast tank before.

This is the second straight 'race' that was shut down because VO65s don't move in light air, right?

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

This is the second straight 'race' that was shut down because VO65s don't move in light air, right?

To be fair, there was no air for a large part of it for those that went south.  Otherwise, yes.

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

No this was the third straight shut down due to light stuff. The second is the 20/21 edition shut down due to light money.

31 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Right.  But you could transfer the water via a pump to the other tank which is how some ballast systems are set up.  And the leeward tank should have been easy to drain. Maybe the drain malfunctioned?  Anyway, just never saw bailing a ballast tank before.

Like I said they're really simple systems.

Not really sure you'll think a leeward tank would be easy to drain, after tact the tank is below the water line. Opening it would just fill it some more. The system doesn't use a pump - open valve close valve. Physics takes care of the filling and draining. 

I'm sure Dee doesn't want to name names, but someone near the helm forgot to so their job. 

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Not really sure you'll think a leeward tank would be easy to drain, after tact the tank is below the water line. Opening it would just fill it some more. The system doesn't use a pump - open valve close valve. Physics takes care of the filling and draining. 

Huh?  Ever drain a dinghy opening a scupper?  Why would you think opening an aft drain would fill the tank?  Maybe if they were at a standstill.

I don't understand why you're fighting this. The keel boats aren't dinghys. If you open the leeward tank (which isn't filled to capacity) - it will flood. It is below the water line and the valve on deck by the helm will vent air. It will not drain. There's lead in the keel. It isn't a dinghy. 

The team said it was an error. You seem hell bent on finding a mechanical issue where there is none. 

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

No this was the third straight shut down due to light stuff. The second is the 20/21 edition shut down due to light money.

Ha.

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I don't understand why you're fighting this. The keel boats aren't dinghys. If you open the leeward tank (which isn't filled to capacity) - it will flood. It is below the water line and the valve on deck by the helm will vent air. It will not drain. There's lead in the keel. It isn't a dinghy. 

The team said it was an error. You seem hell bent on finding a mechanical issue where there is none. 

SC isn't fighting it - he doesn't actually know how a boat works.  Give up.

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I'm not fighting anything and maybe you're right.  The dinghy is an example.  Your saying that even though the tank is below the water line rate of water intrusion would have to be greater than the hull speed of the boat with an aft facing drain?

And piss off Clean.

I apologize I'm on vicodin right now for broken jaw so I'm probably more terse than usual - but I'll give it a bite figuratively because I can't bite anything to eat.

The aft ballast tanks are 800 liters each. Teams don't fill them all the way in light conditions. The difference between a dinghy and a keel boat is waterline and buoyancy. You can't physically drain water below the water line without a pump, once the ballast tank (say 3/4 full) is below the waterline after a tact, opening the valve will only flood it to 800 - even worse. 

If you're not getting the physics - take a milk bottle, pop a hole on its side, pop a hole at its bottom. Try and drain it empty underwater.

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

I apologize I'm on vicodin right now for broken jaw so I'm probably more terse than usual - but I'll give it a bite figuratively because I can't bite anything to eat.

The aft ballast tanks are 800 liters each. Teams don't fill them all the way in light conditions. The difference between a dinghy and a keel boat is waterline and buoyancy. You can't physically drain water below the water line without a pump, once the ballast tank (say 3/4 full) is below the waterline after a tact, opening the valve will only flood it to 800 - even worse. 

If you're not getting the physics - take a milk bottle, pop a hole on its side, pop a hole at its bottom. Try and drain it empty underwater.

Thanks.  I get that.  But what if the milk bottle is moving at 5 knots?  Or 20 knts?  The dinghy will fill up too if it's at a stand still.  It drains because the pressure of the water moving past the scupper is greater that the PSI at that depth, sucking it out.  At 2 feet deep water pressure is around 15.59 psi.  What is the pressure of the water moving at 5knts?   

We can drop it if you want.  I've been working all night and am brain dead and need to sleep.

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the standings of this race become the standings of the race overall - except DF and Brunell battling for second.

Re: DF, having to restart in a one-design fleet is a good way to get buried. I mean, sure; that's inconsistency of a sort. But it's a one-time mistake/mishap, not (yet) a pattern. Same with last time: being dismasted on Leg 5 wasn't (to my mind at least) a mark of inconsistency as much as very bad luck. (I know, I know. No need to argue again over whether they caused it by over-stressing the rig, vs. getting a lemon of a mast that had problems throughout the race. Except this is SA, so of course it will be argued again. And again. AND AGAIN. So, you know; whatevs.) But anyway, they were in strong contention for the overall win last time when the dismasting happened. So yeah; I guess I'm basically agreeing that inconsistency is what doomed them. But I still think they've got a good shot this time around.

But boy, MAPFRE sure is looking super-strong. ¡Vamos!

2 hours ago, Potter said:

I will be happy if this is the info we are getting for the coming race. TTTOP admitting a cock up and showing how to deal with it.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/583.html

I do love the "Raw Content". Unfortunately the video player doesn't work with either of the browsers on my iPad (Safari or Chrome). I wish they would just post the videos to youtube and embed the videos from there. No reason to reinvent a (slightly clunky version of) the wheel. With youtube I also can easily use Chromecast to put it on my big screen, which is my preferred way of watching.

But I'm glad to be getting more raw video off the boats. Yes. Yes yes yes. Please more like this, all the way around the world. Thank you MT, or whoever is running the show at this point.

10 minutes ago, jbc said:

Re: DF, having to restart in a one-design fleet is a good way to get buried. I mean, sure; that's inconsistency of a sort. But it's a one-time mistake/mishap, not (yet) a pattern. Same with last time: being dismasted on Leg 5 wasn't (to my mind at least) a mark of inconsistency as much as very bad luck. (I know, I know. No need to argue again over whether they caused it by over-stressing the rig, vs. getting a lemon of a mast that had problems throughout the race. Except this is SA, so of course it will be argued again. And again. AND AGAIN. So, you know; whatevs.) But anyway, they were in strong contention for the overall win last time when the dismasting happened. So yeah; I guess I'm basically agreeing that inconsistency is what doomed them. But I still think they've got a good shot this time around.

But boy, MAPFRE sure is looking super-strong. ¡Vamos!

The real Race hasn't even started. I think Dongfeng will do very well when we start racing in earnest on Oct. 22 :)

What might doom them are the Drivers/Trimmers. They had better Drivers in 14/15 IMO.

What, no drain/fill combo scoop ? Amateurs.

How do they drain the central tank ?

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Actually you can - depending on boat speed.  The scoops work as a ventury and will drain water (not fast though) just like an Elvstrøm bailer.  The fill scoop will on the other hand fill the tank above the waterline (maybe not all the way though) as there is higher pressure in front of the scoop (obviously also depending on boat speed).  Done all the time on O60's and Class 40's

Im not sure sure if the V65 have separate drain and fill scoops or the kind that simply rotates - both systems available.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually it is not the brand new 65...the Clogmiesters on Paintball Wizard got that one...you have the pinky girls old boat..thought that OB position and that boat was sort of apt having regard to your posts. You really need to get up to speed.

So the first boat out is now boat No.8. Cunning plan Baldrick.

Why VOR tracker is LIVE when they are motoring, but during racing there is 6h or whatever blackout?

Does not make any sense other than killing joy of following racing.

To be honest I'm more interested in upcoming Sydney Hobart than this year's VOR.

9 minutes ago, forss said:

Why VOR tracker is LIVE when they are motoring, but during racing there is 6h or whatever blackout?

To be honest I'm more interested in upcoming Sydney Hobart than this year's VOR.

+1

and this side of the world, the genuine article - follow the Mini-Transat!

7 hours ago, southerncross said:

Thanks.  I get that.  But what if the milk bottle is moving at 5 knots?  Or 20 knts?  The dinghy will fill up too if it's at a stand still.  It drains because the pressure of the water moving past the scupper is greater that the PSI at that depth, sucking it out.  At 2 feet deep water pressure is around 15.59 psi.  What is the pressure of the water moving at 5knts?   

We can drop it if you want.  I've been working all night and am brain dead and need to sleep.

A venturi will not work when depressed under water more than 450mm, I guess it is because the vacuum created by the moving water is less than the water pressure.

4 hours ago, forss said:

As this prologue appears to be more about being a media warm up headquarters and OBR's, I assume they are still doing the live bit allocated for the approach to the finish to get that practise in, even though the race is over.

Team Akzo Nobel happily ever after.
Even after the prologue, and the race has not even begun yet!
DL6q1u7XUAEv1tw.jpg:large
From left to right top row,
Emily Nagel, Martine Grael, NIcolai Sehested, Luke Moloy, Brad Farrad, Joca Signorini, Jules Salter (Navigator)
Bottom row Left to right
Simeon Tienpont (Skipper) , Brad Jackson 

DL2-lbuXkAA8mo4.jpg

10 hours ago, forss said:

I don't know how the boats send their data to HQ, so this is just a suggestion from a non-technical view: they can transmit live while motoring because then they don't worry about batteries?  

14 hours ago, Miffy said:

I'm sure Dee doesn't want to name names, but someone near the helm forgot to so their job. 

Are you saying that the helm must remind all crew of their jobs before each maneuver? :)

No, they are all as clever as you after days at sea !!!   One delivery on Rags100 !!!

15 minutes ago, DtM said:

No, they are all as clever as you after days at sea !!!   One delivery on Rags100 !!!

Yeah, I'm expecting a world sailing award for that one and that's the only sailing I've ever done. Thank you for reminding me of how little I know, I hope this makes you feel really good about yourself.

44 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Yeah, I'm expecting a world sailing award for that one and that's the only sailing I've ever done. Thank you for reminding me of how little I know, I hope this makes you feel really good about yourself.

Big sailing dreams Norbowgirl?
Sailing is best to be enjoyed as leisure. 
And that is really, really true:

No weeks away from home.
Sailing when the weather is up to your expectations. (Mine is force 6)
With friends who invite you or gets invited.
With a nice lunch and a swim at 12 o'clock.
What more can a human being want?

1 hour ago, schakel488 said:

Big sailing dreams Norbowgirl?
Sailing is best to be enjoyed as leisure. 
And that is really, really true:

No weeks away from home.
Sailing when the weather is up to your expectations. (Mine is force 6)
With friends who invite you or gets invited.
With a nice lunch and a swim at 12 o'clock.
What more can a human being want?

No big dreams but I prefer racing - not cruising :)

8 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Are you saying that the helm must remind all crew of their jobs before each maneuver? :)

On these boats in particular with so many moving pieces to coordinate before a maneuver, the watch captain and helm are responsible. Someone didn't pop the right scoops to drain the tank before the type. Liz, prob the off watch watch captain/boat mechanic superstar has to clean up the mess. 

They showed the scoop system a few times during the last race. IIRC it can be used to to siphon water, OTOH that requires a bit of boat speed.

I wonder if it would be easier/faster to throw in another double tack. Just long enough to empty the tank, no stacking or other stuff.

1 hour ago, Chasm said:

They showed the scoop system a few times during the last race. IIRC it can be used to to siphon water, OTOH that requires a bit of boat speed.

I wonder if it would be easier/faster to throw in another double tack. Just long enough to empty the tank, no stacking or other stuff.

Good point. Maybe there was some reason why they didn’t, or maybe a brain fart. It’s known to happen during racing. Like zooming in charts, remember marks, etc. The professionals are as good as amateurs at making a mess :)

7 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Good point. Maybe there was some reason why they didn’t, or maybe a brain fart. It’s known to happen during racing. Like zooming in charts, remember marks, etc. The professionals are as good as amateurs at making a mess :)

You got it right there NORBowGirl, only person to never make a mistake is the one who has never tried anything and there are obviously a few of those on these forums.

BTW, maybe bump into you in HK or Guangzhou as I will be at both those stopovers.

See ya on the water

SS

I know It is old news but just been reading the piece in the latest Yachting World (thank goodness for Zinio) about Mark Turner leaving VOR. in the sidebar Elaine Bunting (who is a damn good writer) comments on his tenure and departure. Her last line kind of sums up what many people in sailing already think - "The board flunked it". Can't put it any more succinctly than that.

SS

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

You got it right there NORBowGirl, only person to never make a mistake is the one who has never tried anything and there are obviously a few of those on these forums.

BTW, maybe bump into you in HK or Guangzhou as I will be at both those stopovers.

See ya on the water

SS

Cool. I'll take you for drinks, Viking style :D

I don't know how long it takes to empty the water ballast on the VO65, have only experienced it on a Class 40 and it took 3-4 minutes to fill/empty, using a chaotic french designed pump system so it's easy to imagine what can go wrong. Tacking the boat with water in both tanks might not be ideal in some conditions I guess. Would be interesting to hear the details!

3 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Her last line kind of sums up what many people in sailing already think - "The board flunked it". Can't put it any more succinctly than that.

Not exactly unexpected coming from a industry media outlet Shang be it on the money or otherwise. If Elaine or anyone gets a corresponding interview with a senior Volvo exec, then a true and balanced picture will be unveiled. That ain't going to happen anytime soon though, if ever.

I spent yesterday's afternoon at the Alicante village. Huge crowds and queues to enter as everyone is being (briefly) searched by security. Compared to last editions, no large pavilions, very limited offer of things to do, but lot of action on the water with (unbranded) M32 cats and dinghies sailing around. A nice new Volvo pavilion (the old one had been in use in at least 3 editions), a semi large one from Dongfeng. All other teams are using a new standard container set as base with public access. Mapfre as local player has no large pavilion this time. 

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ A Frugal Wind is blowing.

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

You may be right Jack

'May be"???...it has been blowing hard out of the Nordic north for a while now.

a real Scallywag ?

Couldnt believe the egotistic spray by captain "Fawk Witt" published the other day on the Volvo and Scallywag website !!

Talk about an ego out of control ... once again the main topic of  conversation at the maIn bar at the RHKYC , ahead of the Volvo Vietnam  race where despite earlier promises by Witless about beating the record again .... the Scallywag 1OO is not to be seen ..

Further chuckling at the bar as Word has also leaked out that the much look forward to  and Witt and owner Seng Huang  hyped Scallywag Sydney to Hobart reappearence is a non event  .. the boat is still in Subic .seems even super ego cant do 2 things at once !!

Still one has to feel sorry for the current sponsor of Wittys ego  sailing Tyro Lee   who has put his company and his mates $$$MILLION  behind Witts program .[ Given the quality of the crew compared to the other teams some wondered where the cash has gone ....]

However Mr Lee shouldnt despair he follows in the footsteps of a number of well known yachtsman to be conned by the smooth talking one and then dudded ..Grant Warrington ; Ludde Ingvall ; Syd Fischer and Geoff  Hill all ended up looking prettty ordinary after a taste of Witt

his comments on loyalty to the team had us all laughing as we listed out all those yachties he had  dumped including a couple like Mark Fullerton ,Matt Humphries and Sophie Cizack  Campbell nox  ,or Ian Walker who  had sailed with Witt and who might have actually helped him win a leg or 2  . Still it will be interesting to see if Witt and his 18 foot skiffies can actually  make it to Australia on the Volvo

The piece de resistence of course is his views on women .. im sure his  wife and the girls in Subic were impressed as would sponsors Accor and Ray White who actually employ a few of the species 

oh and finally another reverse first .. how many is that ??

3 minutes ago, jonas a said:

AkzoNobel is about to change skipper according to sailing Illustrated 

Seems a bit extreme.  Has to be more to this than poor results to this point.  The friggin race hasn't even started yet.

Who takes his place at this very last minute?

WetHog