Well it is probably bit of a rest in regular programming here on this thread and off down the hallway to the Leg 1 door where Alinguist will keep us updated on the tack by tack runner tension for each boat for the next 1500 mile.

However I can report both Bindi and Dorothy made it onto the start boat. Before her texts started to look like a copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls she said Witty nailed the start, Teapot had the Paintwagon on AP while he did a POB count asking for their names and CV's ..and the King got a bit too friendly with the onboard bar and pissed his pants. 

She said she last saw Dorothy going into a stateroom with the old King holding a bottle of 300 year old Krug and what appeared to be some blue M&M's and then him coming out later asking for a knife so he could put another notch in his cane. 

Maybe this thing is yachting afterall.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dunno...the biscuits?

Pancakes. Somehow kids were awake at 5am and wanted pancakes.  All caught up now.  Alls well that ends ... ?  

2 hours ago, PeteMoran said:

Dalton nailed it a few years ago when he said the "biggest problem with our sport is the ridiculous cost".

A gratutious comment with him sucking and still sucking from a govt/public funding teat driving up the cost and which is not available to high end sailing anywhere else on planet earth that I can think of.

10 hours ago, Miffy said:

The 4 that chose not to sign are hardly deserters. If you think they would give up sailing VOR over some unknown loyalty to AK, you're nuts - more likely to do with ST and his management thus far. Not being fully paid & finding out the management company blew thru 15 million and being in the dark about how bad it got? Ehhhh. 

If the 4 were real cunts, sue ST for back wages sit on the boat and put a lien on the boat so it can't leave. Maritime protection for the crew.

Miffy you clearly should be a lawyer

9 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Thanks Alinghi

I have good connections, internet & otherwise PLUS I keep my head up and check things out. (I'm not always right though)

If my understanding of the original situation - which admittedly was entirely dependant on the he said/they said releases it wasn't Tienpont that was sacked, it was STEAM that had their contract revoked. The scuttlebutt going round (again through press releases) was that Tienpont had been offered to remain as skipper but he declined.

On the arbitration result, having seen several of these cases the 'little guy' or the littler guy often gets the benefit of the doubt. A good example is the 'lead in the king post' incident where really only one guy git hung out to dry while several others must have been involved and even then the sport arbitration body reduced ISAF's punishment significantly.

There is still obviously more to this than we are aware. How much is fact? and how much is rumour? and how much is pure speculation?

On the one side there is a management company which has had its case shouted loud from the rooftops by certain media and on the other side a large corporate body who kept (perhaps too) quiet.

There are rumours of some crew not wanting to go back to the old way but that could be bar talk and malicious stirring by whomever.

I guess we wont know until 1400 CET when the boats cross the start line.

I think the VOR's complicity in this 'affair' is pure conjecture any more than the NFL would have any real influence in how an individual team owner treated a star quarterback, the ongoing "kneeling during the anthem" in the USA clearly demonstrates that sports teams are run by the team and not the league (VOR)

The whole thing is interesting but interesting in a way that does no benefit to, not only the VOR, but to the world f professional sailing sports sponsorship in general.

Lets hope that once the teams leave Alicante on Leg 1 things can be put in perspective and the quality of racing quickly eclipses what is, after all, only internal team politics.

SS

be careful SS: your 'pure' conjecture has a lot of background, and there is a damned good chance there will be emails coming out showing some complicity between VOR and Akzo on this thing. 

Question for you: If you found out that Turner, after Simeon had finalized his contract with Akzo, had gone to Akzo and told them they were spending too much on the sailing team and should renegotiate so they could spend more on activation, and that was one of the reasons this thing turned into a furball:

would you think that inappropriate or otherwise problematic or would you continue to stand by the organizer?

2 hours ago, mad said:

One of the most spectacular PR backfires in sport for many years, not just sailing!

Entirely self inflicted too.
AKN is not a mom and pop shop. They should be big enough to know how to get results, and first and foremost how to get them while looking good all the way to the finish. 

[I try to see it as completely fucked up method to measure the actual VOR media reach in different markets. :P ]

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bindi using her favourite push-down bra just got past Pussywheeler dockside security and also Paintballers security (gave the latter two black eyes without using her hands) and has just sent me a video of who is running around on the Paintwagon, saying goodbyes etc. Unfortunately I have no means to upload..sorry.

Finally organised a upload....you doubters hang your head in shame.

St and team are in a tough position not just because of this current cluster but finishing poorly or even last could skew the PR in Azko's favor. "We told you so." 

On the other hand, a podium finish, not likely, could bold well for ST.  They have a long race ahead of them.

For a nano-second or two I couldn't figure how the f...k it was 1450nm Alicante to Lisbon....?

So is the turn point pre Madeira i.e. Ilha de Porto Santa?

Just now, southerncross said:

St and team are in a tough position not just because of this current cluster but finishing poorly or even last could skew the PR in Azko's favor. "We told you so." 

On the other hand, a podium finish, not likely, could bold well for ST.  They have a long race ahead of them.

He's going to have a tough time finding capable and willing ppl to sign up. Brad and Jules are highly respected and them refusing to sign new contracts?

If he wants his entire boat crew newbies who haven't even sailed big boats for a year... ST/AK issues aren't over just because the race started. 

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Finally organised a upload....you doubters hang your head in shame.

Sailor Girl!  

34 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

there will be emails coming out showing some complicity between VOR and Akzo on this thing. 

Clean you have finally started to join the OC dots. 

Your mate Hunter.

28 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Yes dear and don't forget about the Porto S killer bees

5d3a973863ff57e507d3911986e370d1--funny-humour-math-humor.jpg

31 minutes ago, Marinatrix447 said:

For a nano-second or two I couldn't figure how the f...k it was 1450nm Alicante to Lisbon....?

I had that thought as well. Seems to be a very confusing race given it is listed as 3300nm Newport to Cardiff, but only 10 miles, or 3 hours on the M4.

But it's Newport RI to Cardiff, not Newport, Gwent.

Looking forward to next June when I can walk down to the beach and watch the boats surfing the tides up the Bristol Channel.

Edited by laser 173312
speeling mistook

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

be careful SS: your 'pure' conjecture has a lot of background, and there is a damned good chance there will be emails coming out showing some complicity between VOR and Akzo on this thing. 

Question for you: If you found out that Turner, after Simeon had finalized his contract with Akzo, had gone to Akzo and told them they were spending too much on the sailing team and should renegotiate so they could spend more on activation, and that was one of the reasons this thing turned into a furball:

would you think that inappropriate or otherwise problematic or would you continue to stand by the organizer?

I did mention when this first blew up, if Mark Turner knew about all of this!

1 minute ago, mad said:

I did mention when this first blew up, if Mark Turner knew about all of this!

Nah, probably tried to discourage them from buying a brand new boat as well.

27 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Looking forward to next June when I can walk down to the beach and watch the boats surfing the tides up the Bristol Channel.

I'm envious. Just back from a week hiking the Gower Coast, and often looked out towards Cornwall imagining the fleet coming in next June. Looking forward to your pics :)

13 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

So right DtM

The changing use of language can be quite interesting.

When a boat gybes in an uncontrolled manner the correct (or original) term is "gybes all standing".

A Chinese gybe is where the top half of the main gybes and the boom doesn't. More common with gaff (and junk rigs perhaps rising to the term) rigs.

It has slipped into common parlance but traditional (original) nautical terms reference works do not call an uncontrolled or unexpected gybe "Chinese" :-)

Even top sailors use the term so often it has kind of become (incorrectly) the term used for an uncontrolled gybe.

In fact a modern Bermudan mainsail, especially one properly 'vanged' is virtually impossible to "Chinese gybe"

Just my two pennies worth.

SS

Oh it is quite possible to do with a squaretop main

Does anyone know the legalities involved with the sailor's contracts? Can Brad etc just walk away from both his ST and Akzo's contracts? 

Once signed these are still valid right? 

Fairly tight grouping for much of the fleet according to VOR tracker, except TBRU a mile back, and DFRT who appear to have the freedom and speed to sail deeper with a half mile lead. Is VOR the only tracker for this race? It's not bad, much improved from last time.

Oh how quickly things change. Same who viewed Mark Turner goes from visionary who could helm VOR into future - unjustly pushed out by the board to mega cunt who helped created a clusterfuck in one week.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad this is one of the most fucked things in sailing I have witnessed in terms of long term impact on people's livelihoods, asperations and therefore lives. There is not a winner here. Someone deserves sodomising.

That someone can only be the Campain Director of Team Akzo Nobel, Nathalie Quéré: what a mess she has made out of a potential very competitive campaign. 

It will be difficult to see her surviving this all, but you never know with these Paintballers.

A sensible company would tell her to concentrate on her staff function within the company, dealing with "Brand, Digital and Creative Services" instead of running a sailing team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-F18 said:

Does anyone know the legalities involved with the sailor's contracts? Can Brad etc just walk away from both his ST and Akzo's contracts? 

Once signed these are still valid right? 

All contracts - at least the grown-up ones, are only valid during the conditions they cover. Like marriage, you can get a divorce ;)

2 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Seems to be a very confusing race

Yes it is, but only if ones thinking is constrained, and believe this is a RTW race.

Closer examination of the 2017/18 NOR and SI's for this edition of the VOR will show for instance that in Leg 2 the RO can midway suddenly  turn the fleet north and go to Cuba as a Pitstop before turning south again to continue to Cape Town. The justification for this is simple, providing you're not geographicaly and business opportunity challenged.

Firstly Eduardo's Restaurant Bar and Grill in downtown Havana has stumped up for the majority of the stopover money. Secondly with the demise of the Castro regieme the Pusseywheelers see a huge market there for everything from vehicles/trucks to cane harvester power plants and diesel powered sewing machines.

You may then ask if Eduardo was always cashed up and the local market desire and capacity to pay to move on from circa 1950's Gardener diesels is well known, why then make it a Jack in the Box stopover so boats went over the equator for the 7th or is that 8th crossing? I can assure you it is not to make crews feel giddy as many think to make the race more extreme. 

Unfortunately Eduardo doesn't quite have all the cash to fund the stopover. Bit like the Paintballers wanting to take the best girl to the prom, but didn't have the bucks for the corsage, the limo and vodka shooters.

Anyway the reason is this week Trumpy has the executive power to release to the public confidential government papers surrounding the death of JFK that have been kept under wraps for over 50 years. No one knows what is hidden there, bearing in mind the American public have never ever trusted their Government about this Grassy Knoll, CIA, the Mob or not did it shit. 

Anyway Eduardo has a pretty cool house band  called the Lee Harvey Oswalds, who to cut to the chase reakon those documents will reveal once and for all that their namesake did not fire the fatal bullets that took JFK's scone off. When that truth is finally revealed they think their music will explode outside Cuba and they are then in the big money.

So subject to that all falling into line the band want to throw some big marketing dollars around. So enter the Pusseywheelers on the lookout for a sponsor buck if it has a heartbeat. Therefore you can now see how the Leg 2 route is a bit up in the air. 

I understand commercial negotiations between the band and the Pusseywheelers is a bit bogged down around the concept of naming the VOR Southern Ocean legs collectively as the "Lee Harvey Oswalds". 

I'm not sure how that will go down though with race fans?

1 hour ago, Face said:

That someone can only be the Campain Director of Team Akzo Nobel, Nathalie Quéré: what a mess she has made out of a potential very competitive campaign. 

A bit player, had nothing to do with putting the band together or what would be played. Also would not know what a barrel organ, let alone what a clog looked like.

With 3 of the most experienced Paintwagon bodies left on the dock with no explanation, one thought that comes to mind is the Pussywheelers brokered a last minute truce between Teapot snd the Paintballers for the Paintwagon to do at least Leg 1. 

That absence of a race long comittment led these 3 wise heads to say enough is enough, which is pretty understandable. The observation that the current crew while capable of doing well in Leg 1, lacks some key personnel for the remainder and where one is on loan, also seems to support that this is only a band-aid leg.

If so, you would imagine the Pussywheelers are currently working like crazy in conjunction with the Paintballers to implement a Paintwagon rescue plan to get it to the start of Leg 2 and beyond with Teapot driving. If that rescue fails it goes into the Boatyard and on the chopping block alongside SCA. 

Only time will tell, however one thing is certain and that is Teapot and his motley crew won't be leaving any gas in the tank for their arrival in Lisbon if they think it is maybe their first and last outing.

Pic is Teapot and Teapot Snr working the phones yesterday morning.

20171022-simeon-tienpont-2.jpg

I'm jumping in a bit late on this one.... On the last race someone developed a tracking site that was excellent. Do we know id this is available again?

Where are folks following progress on this edition of the race?

Cheers!

I extracted this from the multi/mono shit fight thread. This Australian dude submitted this in response to the Pussywheelers invitation for multi In-Port-Racing designs for the next edition. 

Something that will appeal to those who like doing things by halves. Live coverage of them "shunting" at every turn would make riveting watching.

http://harryproa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/volvoproa.pdf

6 hours ago, Mephisto Cat said:

I'm jumping in a bit late on this one.... On the last race someone developed a tracking site that was excellent. Do we know id this is available again?

Where are folks following progress on this edition of the race?

Cheers!

Sadly, Volodia's universal tracker is no more http://volodiaja.net/Tracking/ And forss, who developed a fine tracker for the Vendee, has moved on to other projects https://tracker.ee and http://yb.tl/rmsr2017

So, the official tracker and app are the current options http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard.html

Twitter's @RaceExperts is a nice new development: "they" are providing good analyses so far. The VOR's "Raw Content" of media from the boats is another good channel http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.html

And, of course, the SA threads, though the noise level is pretty high so far this time.

Cheers

Women on board Akzo Nobel.
Emily Nagel and Martine Grael.
59edff7a0a6d0_womenonboardAkzoNobelEmilyNagel.thumb.jpg.e6de2673f8c4e0fe61dc1e92c09b3f4b.jpg

Vesta's 11 th hour racing is again the fastest in the fleet.
If they go on like this the first leg will be theirs.
59ee011532df6_VOR23-10.PNG.74d0503729d8b0e3869c25baf03b25cc.PNG

From tomorrow afternoon (UTC) on it's going to become very slow. Will be interesting to see how the boats will approach the dying winds...

All this pussywheel paintball crap makes this pretty much unreadable if you're just coming to this thread now the race has started... Still I guess its good that there are apparently so many 13year old boys interested in the race.

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

With 3 of the most experienced Paintwagon bodies left on the dock with no explanation, one thought that comes to mind is the Pussywheelers brokered a last minute truce between Teapot snd the Paintballers for the Paintwagon to do at least Leg 1. 

20171022-simeon-tienpont-2.jpg

Please mention the source when using our pictures: https://www.clubracer.be/2017/10/22/simeon-tienpont-terug-schipper-team-akzonobel

Thnx in forward.

No, it's not grumpiness. You twits have really spewed your inane nonsense for more than a week now. Everything you "knew" was happening failed to materialize. The presentation of the crap is pathetic. It's long past time to give it a break.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck..getting a belting.

Six of the best, Jack.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:21 PM, Varan said:

On 10/22/2017 at 3:16 AM, schakel488 said:

Incredible, but spectaculair.

...lol,, same here Varan,,, just the way it is,,, loooong from what it was !  :rolleyes:

......Shakel,,,, and what exactly is the difference between Incredible and 'spectaculair', anyways?  :mellow:

4 hours ago, stief said:

Sadly, Volodia's universal tracker is no more http://volodiaja.net/Tracking/ 

...sad to hear.  

42 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck..getting a belting.

...too fuck'n funny,,, don't let the naysayers stop yah,, you've got some of the more entertaining blather goin!  :)

41 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Six of the best, Jack.

...just the way yer like it!  :lol:

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck..getting a belting.

Hang in there. Some of us enjoy your rants. More so than Ed's.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuck..getting a belting.

I know Jack - cheek of them. Only those who have been in the thread for at least a.... well, for a long time have any right to do that to you.

I enjoy our occasional 'spats' by the way. No quarter given or asked and forgotten the next day

As I said to a friend on wechat earlier today, the only time the tracker really matters is on the finish line and as the wind is expected, well forecast by some, to fill in the south first then those to the north may lose out big style. We will only know when they reach the turning mark I reckon.

Of course I may be totally wrong, it has happened before with great regularity ha ha!

Cheers

SS

Anyone knows what the black vests are that AKN are wearing (all crew had them on this night)

A Spinlock deckvest kind of thing, but not one I could find, nor at Zhik.

m104780_crop110015_800x800_proportional_

And why has only one person his handle sticking out of his neck.. LOL.

29 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Anyone knows what the black vests are that AKN are wearing (all crew had them on this night)

New Spinlocks Leo...not yet available to the punters and like a lot of their gear. Some gear doesn't hit retail until after the race is finished, presumably feedback, maybe some tweaks made before full production.

Thanks guys, interesting design. That white handle looks tiny.

Akn had a collision with a Ufo, and suddenly all are wearing them, good from them.

Sucks to be me, I can't even see the VOR websites dashboard. Just not loading the map area. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

New Spinlocks Leo...not yet available to the punters and like a lot of their gear. Some gear doesn't hit retail until after the race is finished, presumably feedback, maybe some tweaks made before full production.

A bunch of tweaking to get the price to an acceptable level and get it tested/approved as well.  Saw it is Naptown and it looks like a nice piece of kit

On 10/22/2017 at 4:11 PM, stief said:

I'm envious. Just back from a week hiking the Gower Coast, and often looked out towards Cornwall imagining the fleet coming in next June. Looking forward to your pics :)

Thank you sir, glad you enjoyed the Gower Coast, been my play ground off and on for over 40 years. I've sailed, canoed and swam (not always intentionally mind) around it often. Even lost my brother once in Oxwich, alas we found him again :)

I now based further east in the Vale of Glamorgan so the natural course for the boats will be close inshore to our beach.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Yes it is, but only if ones thinking is constrained, and believe this is a RTW race.

Yo Jack, not so serious man, I was only being ironic the leg to Cardiff starting in Newport R.I. rather than Newport, Gwent. But I get your point not so much a world race as a grand tour.

Cheers

When the tracker does not work...

If you use adblocking like any sane person you most likely have to add an exemption for volvooceanrace.com
Here is why, the tracker main script

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg1/tracker/tracker.js

triggers the /tracker/tracker.js rule from the EasyPrivacy ruleset (most likely also included in other lists, I did not check.)

If that does not work: The VOR site is a bit picky when it comes to browsers.
- The raw videos stutter bad in Vivaldi, works in Chrome, Iron, Firefox (ESR and 56), Edge, IE11
- The tracker is empty: Vivaldi, Iron works in Chrome, Firefox (ESR and 56), Edge, IE11

That is without any kind of ad or script blocking, no piHole (DNS blocking) either. The tracker tries to figure out which version to serve - apparently if it does not  know the browser it serves nutthin. (Spoofing the user agent makes the tracker work.)

Looks like they are working on this though, while writing this post the tracker did not work with Edge and IE11. Now it does. Vivaldi is also looking better.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Can I frame that?

:rolleyes::D:P

Thanks NotSoFast and Chasm, no luck still. All extensions off, cache and cookies cleared, nothing stopping it, but Volvo itself...

On another note, anyone happy with this seasons news cast? Finding it pretty sparse on YouTube and FB and the pommy commentator is not my cup of tea. Bring on SailorGirl and the Volodia tracker! What a combination that would be!!!

One can only dream. :-)

The news cast?
[Darth Vader] I find your lack of microphones disturbing. [/Darth Vader]

That metallic echo? Chances are that someone is using the mic of the cam showing Neil in front of the round desk. 

Which browser and os?

7 hours ago, lahana said:

Thanks NotSoFast and Chasm, no luck still. All extensions off, cache and cookies cleared, nothing stopping it, but Volvo itself...

On another note, anyone happy with this seasons news cast? Finding it pretty sparse on YouTube and FB and the pommy commentator is not my cup of tea. Bring on SailorGirl and the Volodia tracker! What a combination that would be!!!

I was never a fan of the chick. No offense to her - but she was just too wooden and presentational. At least the POM has some relatable emotion. The production quality - even from the HQ - however has dropped significantly from a technical perspective. I appreciate Mark's point about wanting things to be more raw and boat-centric - without the worry of a weekly series schedule. That is right on. But the bar for all of this - from a viewer's perspective - has been set by the AC. That has been phenomenal television in every respect.

That said - the SAILING of the Leg 1 start was just mind-blowing. The boats ripping through the spectator fleet is what makes the VOR superior to the AC. Damn the rules and proprieties - we're sailing. THAT'S what it's about. THAT'S the story. These guys are the hardcore competitors that will do ANYTHING to win. I want to know more about them.

Again, Mark's point about bandwidth is perfectly valid - and his approach is perfectly valid. But they need to stop with the stilted on-board interviews and just focus on the raw footage coming off the boats and crew and figure out a way to cut that into presentable drama. What they are doing right now is the least of both worlds. It's going to hurt them.

22 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

from a viewer's perspective - has been set by the AC. That has been phenomenal television in every respect.

Imagery maybe but the AC commentating was unedulterated shit by any measure. 

Conrad & crew beat them hands down in that department and they have to do it non-stop for days/weeks with out a break, not 30 minutes per race.

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Imagery maybe but the AC commentating was unedulterated shit by any measure. 

Conrad & crew beat them hands down in that department and they have to do it non-stop for days/weeks with out a break, not 30 minutes per race.

You're completely wrong - as usual. Ken Read's commentary was about as good as it gets. Keep trying. That light bulb is sure to come on at some point.

12 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You're completely wrong - as usual. Ken Read's commentary was about as good as it gets. Keep trying. That light bulb is sure to come on at some point.

Maybe it's me them, but I doubt it. I know Kenny put my goldfish to sleep.

Why on earth do website like the VOR just get worse and worse? I run Firefox with adblocking (no doubt several million other folk also do that. Surely adblocking is a reason for using Firefox) and the VOR site won't show me a tracker map at all and the various link buttons, if I had any clue as to what they are supposed to do, don't seem to do whatever it was they were intended to do.
IE, if I use the link NotSoFast gave here, does manage to show a tracker map, but if there are any toolbars and a status bar there isn't enough screen left to see the full list of boats at the bottom. Depending on what link I use to get a tracker display I can even get a map with no boat list at all, because there is too much Volvo clutter at the top of the screen. If I can't see part of a boat list, then if I hover over a boat to see what it is doing, there is no way of getting to another boat!

If I use NotSoFast's link and switch off some toolbars I can get more than 2 boats on the list and the list scroll bar and so, to an extent it is workable.
At least last time the data was available and a couple of other good functional trackers came out but I gather this time that door has been shut too.
I tried using the website on my galaxy tab andthe tracker wouldnt work on that on any web browser. It tried to force me to download an app. but if the folk doing the software can't get a wesite to work then why would one trust them to write an app which could possibly wreck your tablet?
End result. I harly ever visit the VOR website and I follow the race as best I can on SA, LiveShips and Vesselfinder and look at the screen shots of those lucky enough to get the tracker to work on their browsers and screens. Is that really what the VOR promoters want?
Meanwhile another race is gearing up to go, and I am following loads of much more interesting boats, on AIS, with the worlds real top sailors as they are all delivering their boats to Le Havre. Yep, another French race, the Transat Jacques Vabre, 5th Nov departure, and I have little doubt that there will be a tracker and website which works Ok on most pcs and tablets.

Listen Stay just take a deep breath and relax, think of the first time you got a blowjob from a member of the opposite sex, the time you aced the start in that beer can race...now it's only 50,000,000 volts and won't hurt son.

vSdyPVfrTRPhcsb-800x450-noPad.jpg

Witty looked egotistical at the presser.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkyaXZ4xZRvw0-axlHeCB

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, lahana said:

Sailorgirl just needs to stop giggling like a girl.  Annoying as fuck.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NORBowGirl said:

Hoho!  and all the other RTW racers :)

"According to NASA’s Orbital Debris Office, any objects re-entering Earth’s atmosphere cannot exceed a 0.0001 chance of impact with humans, meaning that if the entry were to occur 10,000 times, there would only be one human casualty expected."

Hope this doesn't go to a vote for the team most likely to be there, even if they have a great video platform.

The concept of saving bandwidth in favor of better raw in race coverage now makes sense to me.  So as far as a show, or series it sounds like they'll go back to the format of leg documentaries, which they did in 11-12.  Upon reflection I prefer that format to the weekly episodes they did last go around.

I guess my only gripe is the 6 hour updates, positional updates don't require much bandwidth.  Maybe bandwidth in the form of staff in the headquarters, which again I can see how there could be a shortfall there.  I might not like it.

45 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

nice insight into the sail plan and use depending on angle and TWS

Good hunting! Meant to hunt down the one they showed (at the start in Alicante, I think), but no need now. Thanks.

Didn't happen to find a link to the polars too, by any chance? 

10 hours ago, random said:

Sailorgirl just needs to stop giggling like a girl.  Annoying as fuck.

Hey Random, what's the name of the character in your avatar again?  I used to read that comic as a kid.  Surfing comic, right?

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

stief ask hitchhiker as he is posting routes everyday 

Good point. I'm also waiting to see if Campbell and Herman jump in too.  They, and others, provided much good content for the threads to ponder last time. Expected the VORGame to have access to the best polars for the VO65, but I think I read the game is testing foils. (Aside: wonder if virtual sailing has been used by naval architects to beta test design ideas). 

22 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hey Random, what's the name of the character in your avatar again?  I used to read that comic as a kid.  Surfing comic, right?

Captain Goodvibes.

5 minutes ago, random said:

Captain Goodvibes.

Wow.  Time warp.  Thanks.