46 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Your browser settings are the cause of this. 

I haven't "set" my browsers! and they work perfectly OK with other websites and other race trackers.

36 minutes ago, staysail said:

I haven't "set" my browsers! and they work perfectly OK with other websites and other race trackers.

Well, apparently you and BR3232 have some strange browser/OS/network configuration since the tracker works just fine with my Firefox on Win7 and Safari on iOS Ipad mini.

2 hours ago, Marty6 said:

Well, apparently you and BR3232 have some strange browser/OS/network configuration since the tracker works just fine with my Firefox on Win7 and Safari on iOS Ipad mini.

Lucky you!

I'll be following the TJV.

6 hours ago, Marty6 said:

That's not how the internet works, old man.

I'm late to the party but why didn't they get the 8th boat on the line? Lack of willing team?

6 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

That's not how the internet works, old man.

Much to learn you still have my young padawan

is anyone also annoyed with the speed of Neil's talking in the morning quick fix and the midday show?? Not sure why he thinks he needs to speak that fast, and not sure why VOR thinks the morning quick fix needs to be max 2 minutes long, and the midday show not more then 15 minutes. VOR tries to squeeze too much info in very little time. Also Niel's standing in front of the camera and continuous moving is quite annoying and comes across as hectic. Niel should sit down like at the Vendee Globe daily show and slow down.  Show is good, but could be improved. 

9 hours ago, Chasm said:

Which OS and which browsers?

They must have improved it as this morning it now works on IE Win7 on the pc, works with Firefox and Chrome on a Galaxy tab android. Still doesn't work at all on Firefox on the pc (Win7) (Volvo screen but no map and no boat list), and doesn't work with IE on the Galaxy (boat list but wrongly formatted with no header line and no map).

I haven't changed any settings.

1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

is anyone also annoyed with the speed of Neil's talking in the morning quick fix and the midday show?? Not sure why he thinks he needs to speak that fast, and not sure why VOR thinks the morning quick fix needs to be max 2 minutes long, and the midday show not more then 15 minutes. VOR tries to squeeze too much info in very little time. Also Niel's standing in front of the camera and continuous moving is quite annoying and comes across as hectic. Niel should sit down like at the Vendee Globe daily show and slow down.  Show is good, but could be improved. 

I guess it is horses for courses. I actually prefer the VOR show to the VG one. The VG smacked of the BBC news at 1000, quite stale and without any personality.

As to why Nial (not Neil) talks that quickly...he is like that in real life.  Sometimes your ears start bleeding, and sometimes his mouth overtakes his brain but that happens to even the slow presenters/MCs.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 9:25 PM, BR3232 said:

wtf is going on with the tracker? I get this with 3 different browsers.

Q4mAdAE.png

+1

Chrome/Firefox/Explorer on Win7

Come on VOR, get ya act together!

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Full speed Niall and laconic Conrad ...a great mix.

FIFY. 'Laconic' is good. But yeah, Niall's voice can grate.

12 minutes ago, lahana said:

+1

Chrome/Firefox/Explorer on Win7

Come on VOR, get ya act together!

All the elements are hidden because ppl are using adblockers and despite repeated specific advice from another poster - refuse to disable it for the VOR site or add an exception for the tracker element. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

All the elements are hidden because ppl are using adblockers and despite repeated specific advice from another poster - refuse to disable it for the VOR site or add an exception for the tracker element. 

Miffy, an adblocker is there to block ads. In the case of the Volvo website it is not "ads" which are getting blocked. Why should one have to disable an adblocker to allow content to get through? If one is asked which software is more likely to be defective, between Firefox's adblocker and the VOR tracker I know which one I would trust least! And millions of people who have perfectly good functioning browsers and are not computer geeks are very uncomfortable messing around with settings. Surely VOR should be available to normal people and not just geeks. And why does IE without an adblocker not work on some OSs?

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm just waiting for a Stayfucked post that says you will get cancer logging into VOR.

It is like a geriatric person wearing polarized sunglasses in doors, complaining they can''t see - even after being told they can just take it off. No - it is everyone else's responsibility to install floodlamps indoors.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Miffy said:

As mentioned in an earlier post, ALL extensions OFF, including ad blocker etc.  Cookies cleared and Virus disabled and yet no go. If you're not part of the solution...

Jeez, I'm an old luddite using win 7, and I'm getting it LIVE, through ADBLOCKER.. updating every minute.

VOR Tracker.JPG

One of the issues with Windows and with IE is that slightly different versions, with different configuration, extensions, apps, behave very differently for web technologies. This is mainly due to MS's approach that allows/reauires app developers to go deep into the OS. This is good for game developers who take advantage of it, but pretty bad for everyone else.

On 22-10-2017 at 5:31 PM, jack_sparrow said:

On 22-10-2017 at 4:01 PM, Face said:

That someone can only be the Campain Director of Team Akzo Nobel, Nathalie Quéré: what a mess she has made out of a potential very competitive campaign. 

A bit player, had nothing to do with putting the band together or what would be played. Also would not know what a barrel organ, let alone what a clog looked like.

Just curious, Jack, what would this character be called in your fairy tale? No doubt a main character in the (on shore) days to come... saving herself and the whole project. 

• Like 1

Just been reading JBC's comments post the previous race (see link below) and what a difference a race makes.

As a further example of the steps towards a more open and engaging culture, contrast the rapid response yesterday when some of us were having difficulty with the audio compared to the outright denial I received by email when highlighting some errors on the tracker during the last edition. Even when it was plain to see that an error existed with screen shots to prove it. It's not necessary to go into more detail, things have moved on.

Hats off to VOR staff past and present for taking note.

Don't get complacent but please accept my/ our thanks for what you are doing.

33 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Just been reading JBC's comments post the previous race (see link below) and what a difference a race makes.

As a further example of the steps towards a more open and engaging culture, contrast the rapid response yesterday when some of us were having difficulty with the audio compared to the outright denial I received by email when highlighting some errors on the tracker during the last edition. Even when it was plain to see that an error existed with screen shots to prove it. It's not necessary to go into more detail, things have moved on.

Hats off to VOR staff past and present for taking note.

Don't get complacent but please accept my/ our thanks for what you are doing.

VOR executives and minions read this forum like a junkie.  I wrote something about Leon, head of TV, last week, and he emailed me about it within 4 hours.  Turner reads SA.  Bicey has been a SA junkie for 15 years.  Teams, captains all read this forum when they have time.  Sponsors, PR folks too.  Some even post, and all have told us that they are happy to address concerns of the anarchists.  If you have an issue you would like to see addressed (and your name is not staysail or bucc), let me know and I'll make sure they see it.  Or just start a thread that has VOLVO OCEAN RACE in it and your issue, and maybe that will work.

No where else to go talk about it with (some) knowledgeable people.

• Downvote 1

Thinking about a possible issue being behind Brunel's go slows, has she for instance been lifted out of the water (with the OK naturally being only a pitstop)????

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

VOR executives and minions read this forum like a junkie.  .....  If you have an issue you would like to see addressed (and your name is not staysail or bucc), let me know and I'll make sure they see it.  Or just start a thread that has VOLVO OCEAN RACE in it and your issue, and maybe that will work.

Nothing personal Clean, but since all the important people in the sailing world already read the threads, why would anyone bother to "let you know"?

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, grandsoleil said:

Any information yet on who will be on board AkzoNobel in the inport race and on leg 2?

The Leg 2 crew has to do the in-port, afaik - so same people.

I know that doesn't really answer your question :)  They borrowed crew from other teams (at least from Scallywag) for leg 1, I guess the question is if they can still borrow them.....it will be interesting!

11 minutes ago, Face said:

Crew List has to be issued 48 hours before the race (see Cl 6.1 of Amendment 6 of the SI) , so we will know more by Wednesday at the latest....

Actually no it can be up less than 48 hrs before the race. Amendment No 6 dated 27 Oct has a new clause  6.1 c which says

c)  The RC can accept late submissions under 6.1(a) or 6.1(b) if there is a good reason to do so.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

VOR executives and minions read this forum like a junkie.  I wrote something about Leon, head of TV, last week, and he emailed me about it within 4 hours.  Turner reads SA.  Bicey has been a SA junkie for 15 years.  Teams, captains all read this forum when they have time.  Sponsors, PR folks too.  Some even post, and all have told us that they are happy to address concerns of the anarchists.  If you have an issue you would like to see addressed (and your name is not staysail or bucc), let me know and I'll make sure they see it.  Or just start a thread that has VOLVO OCEAN RACE in it and your issue, and maybe that will work.

No where else to go talk about it with (some) knowledgeable people.

Well, none of all those people seem to post here, no one in Alicante and no one in Lisbon at least.

So those who should have time, like sponsors and PR folks, hangers on and ORC's, could perhaps contribute a bit.

Or are they all way to busy posting in those god-damned social media ?

3 hours ago, Fiji Flaky said:

Well, none of all those people seem to post here, no one in Alicante and no one in Lisbon at least.

So those who should have time, like sponsors and PR folks, hangers on and ORC's, could perhaps contribute a bit.

They do, but rightly expect not to be outed. Takes a while to recognize them, and never with certainty.

Knut Frostad and Mark Turner have affirmed in the past the importance of being open and transparent. The VOR seems to mostly try. Teams are more open too now that they  are OD.

Too, there are channels to communicate with the VOR org. Website enquiries: webmaster@volvooceanrace.com and app@volvooceanrace.com have been quite responsive this time and last. Still no easy way to search on the main site though. There used to be an org chart with contacts, but haven't found that yet.

The new Race blog comments section hasn't been useful so far. Comments are difficult to follow and login is awkward so far. Almost ready to sign up for a Facebook login (have resisted for so many years hate to change). Almost.

Twitter has been the best, also thanks to the upgrades to the SA site that resolves many posting issues of the past. 

Most welcome IMHO additions to the VOR site would be:

-page of links for the addicts who spend too much time hunting down team pages, blogs, twitter handles to follow, etc.

-search function. Where is that pic of Groupama sailing past the night skyline of Shanghai!? 

On 23/10/2017 at 2:01 AM, Face said:

That someone can only be the Campain Director of Team Akzo Nobel, Nathalie Quéré: what a mess she has made out of a potential very competitive campaign. 

On 23/10/2017 at 3:31 AM, jack_sparrow said:

A bit player, had nothing to do with putting the band together or what would be played. Also would not know what a barrel organ, let alone what a clog looked like.

On 28/10/2017 at 5:28 AM, Face said:

Just curious, Jack, what would this character be called in your fairy tale? No doubt a main character in the (on shore) days to come... saving herself and the whole project. 

Faceboo sorry for the tardy response. I think we may be seperated by having different 1st laungages or if the same, seperated as such. 

In short if the Paintwagon is to continue with any chance of capitalising on their grande effort on Leg 1 there has to be someone running the show onshore which has to be visable and very experienced. To date there hasn't been a body in that seat full stop.

As for the on water crew you don't have to be Einstein to appreciate that continuing both short-handed and or borrowing bodies from other teams is going to end up in tears.

It is not my fairy tale, it is their true story. I just paint a picture that retarded people can follow...Ooops shouldn't have said the R word..the girls just all bitch slapped me. They did say however when hauling me off the deck after the slap that I'm good at keeping a secret..so maybe watch this space.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

so maybe watch this space.

Will do...as there seems to be no interest from any of regular (sailing) press at the moment for this soap of the century. Of course, both parties stick to their confidentiality agreement, but one would expect a little more information leaking at this stage. Or some investigation from journalists, at least. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 3:55 PM, staysail said:

Miffy, an adblocker is there to block ads. In the case of the Volvo website it is not "ads" which are getting blocked. Why should one have to disable an adblocker to allow content to get through? If one is asked which software is more likely to be defective, between Firefox's adblocker and the VOR tracker I know which one I would trust least! And millions of people who have perfectly good functioning browsers and are not computer geeks are very uncomfortable messing around with settings. Surely VOR should be available to normal people and not just geeks. And why does IE without an adblocker not work on some OSs?

for some reason adblockers don't like the way the VOR page is set up,
if you want the benefits of an ad-blocker you just have to put up with the occasional inconvenience

on firefox, with uBlock Origin, the VOR tracker map is blocked, whichever version of the map you are logged into.

minimal map only : http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg1/en_babylon.html
map + standings only : https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg1/en.html
normal map, standings + links : https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard.html

my solution is, when you get the blank map page, to click on the uBlock Origin tool bar button,
and then CTRL-CLICK the on-off button in the menu, which disables the blocker for that page only.
refresh the page + it should load

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Face said:

, but one would expect a little more information leaking at this stage. Or some investigation from journalists, at least. 

Mate Bindi and Dorothy have been in Lisbon since last Wednesday staking out the airport, girlie bars, gladiator gyms, the whole shooting match. Dorothy even disguised herself as a TravelLift and hoisted a great exclusive from under the noses of a bunch of metro sexual sailing journos wearing all Prada shit and drinking exfoliated coconut water. At the same time Bindi pretended she was a  statue of Knut in the Race Village but all she got was wet feet from dogs lifting their legs. Anyway these two professionals have enough even now to make a movie and have you cancel a SUV Pussywagon or Saildrive order without further thought, be assured. I stake Bindi's reputation...sorry runway on that.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 2

Seems my little troll doesn't sleep. Mr Idiot there is a multitude of threads I have posted on that you can down vote me on. Wise up and get cracking between your solo acts of self satisfaction. Up votes that cancel you out must really annoy the fuck out of you.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 2

Keep it up fool. Hint: First go check your IP address and the email addresses for you and your socks if you to keep this down vote shit up. Out.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

In other news the SI changed again. With amendment 7:
No more medical questionnaire after the finish of a leg.
The hydrogenerator shall be used as the RC says.
PIC or nav have another job: Write and deliver to RC a report fit for publication of at least 100 words, every 48 hours.

SI for leg three have also been posted.
A bit more complex this time. Start, stay out of the AEZ, round a channel marker,  go through a gate, finish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Keep it up fool. Hint: First go check your IP address and the email addresses for you and your socks if you to keep this down vote shit up. Out.

Geez Jack.  Ghosts from the past?  It is Halloween after all. 

• Like 1

Southern maybe I should have married her...the kids now after me for some reason....maybe cause I took the Opti with me. Might have to go stay with Hank when I'm next in LA. He always has good advice about relationships as you well know.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Southern maybe I should have married her...the kids now after me cause I took the Opti with me. Might have to go stay with Hank when I'm next in LA. He always has good advice about relationships as you well know.

On the lam again, eh? Must have gotten pretty bad to take the Opti.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chasm said:

In other news the SI changed again. With amendment 7:
No more medical questionnaire after the finish of a leg.
The hydrogenerator shall be used as the RC says.
PIC or nav have another job: Write and deliver to RC a report fit for publication of at least 100 words, every 48 hours.

SI for leg three have also been posted.
A bit more complex this time. Start, stay out of the AEZ, round a channel marker,  go through a gate, finish.

Heh they finally caught on that self reported questionnaires have virtually no diagnostic value? 

The boats might not be happy having an extra task, but the write-ups will potentially hilarious b

13 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The boats might not be happy having an extra task, but the write-ups will potentially hilarious b

Mif Nav's just can't wait to do that. Would a 100 words comprising water temp logs or sail crossover numbers comply?

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mif Nav's just can't wait to do that. Would a 100 words comprising sail crossover numbers comply?

Open grib file in notepad. Copy paste. 

Get a query from OA re what's wrong with the article? It is just hex code. 

What do you mean? I sent the weather predictions and process I use. 

35 minutes ago, southerncross said:

On the lam again, eh? Must have gotten pretty bad to take the Opti.

I left the Swan 651 behind FFS..my replacement who looks albino and is alergic to air will no doubt sell it and buy another Taco restaraunt to add to his portfolio. It's been a very tough week.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I left the Swan 651 behind FFS

You did what?!   Get behind in the slip fees?  Do tell.  

I had an ex (Apache) chase after me with a butcher knife once.  Another ex beat my 356 to a pulp with a baseball bat.  Damn they were good looking though.

(I guess we're getting pissed on for the thread drift)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, southerncross said:

I had an ex (Apache) chase after me with a butcher knife.  Another ex beat my 356 to a pulp with a baseball bat.  Damn they were good looking though.

...caveat emptor.        yer get whatcha pay for.   :mellow:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Heh they finally caught on that self reported questionnaires have virtually no diagnostic value? 

Perhaps . Or too many last minute injuries during leg 1. Burns during kedgeing, head to the boom etc.

Does anyone know where all of the OBR stuff is this time around?  I rarely do the website and use the iOS app.  I am probably idiot, but I was last time too and I could find it just fine.  Also, can someone start a thread and just post stuff Witty says? 

3 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Perhaps . Or too many last minute injuries during leg 1. Burns during kedgeing, head to the boom etc.

The questionnaire with Stevey probably convinced them. Any injuries? No I'm good. *while wearing a neck brace*

Last edition you'll have men who lost 15 pounds say nope I'm good. No dehydration and ate normally. 

:rolleyes: let's just take out the calipers and ignore everything you said. 

On 10/29/2017 at 1:09 PM, staysail said:

Nothing personal Clean, but since all the important people in the sailing world already read the threads, why would anyone bother to "let you know"?

not sure, but shit tons of them do.

42 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I had an ex (Apache) chase after me with a butcher knife once.  Another ex beat my 356 to a pulp with a baseball bat.  Damn they were good looking though.

(I guess we're getting pissed on for the thread drift)

Look at my ranking thanks to my bi-sexual pennyless brain dead stalker, southern do you honestly think I now give a fuck about thread drift and getting pissed on about online manners from those that sit in silence and don't come to the rescue. They could be next you know, smug bastards. 

Anyway a big yeek about your Apache girl knife thing...sounds sort of exciting though.. except if she had caught you you would be now typing in squeaky font. You say 356 so I'm hoping you mean Chevy not one of those classic Porches that uber wealthy  hairdressers drive. Actually southern the Apache aka Jeep..then the 356 ?? I'm detecting a pattern here.

Anyway your query..slip fees..fuck off..the boat lived at the bottom of the garden on a 100' slip. Her greasy lawyer claimed that was then a chatel...I only got the Opti by accident because it was on top of my truck when I departed and I didn't notice until 5000 mile later.

Anyway better fly before my stalker gets upset and hits me into double ton figures. He prefers I only write lots of short posts, helps with his  batting average.

PS no sooner than I finished writing he hit me. His winky must be swelling to huge proportions now.. like visible. His socks will come in shortly to try and finish me off.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

classic Porches

Porsche, yes but of the bondo/primer type.  We did have a Chevy Apache though.

Going after the boat is just mean.  Sorry to hear it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Porsche, yes but of the bondo/primer type.

Wow. Closest I got to a classic like that was a bondo/no primer Kombi. I think we must be brothers. Had shit brakes and ended up in my girlfriend's parents swimming pool. They were very cool about that other than the six people in it being in danger of drowning including their daughter and a neice. I was still invited around for Sunday dinner though..good sign of a lucky life unfolding I thought at the time.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, garpgarp said:

for some reason adblockers don't like the way the VOR page is set up,
if you want the benefits of an ad-blocker you just have to put up with the occasional inconvenience

on firefox, with uBlock Origin, the VOR tracker map is blocked, whichever version of the map you are logged into.

minimal map only : http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg1/en_babylon.html
map + standings only : https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg1/en.html
normal map, standings + links : https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard.html

my solution is, when you get the blank map page, to click on the uBlock Origin tool bar button,
and then CTRL-CLICK the on-off button in the menu, which disables the blocker for that page only.
refresh the page + it should load

Sincere thanks for the advice which sure does help in getting some joy without having to interfere with the browsers and OS. The various links posted on SA by you and other guys do work and avoid having to go to the VOR site. Also it seems if anything interesting happens on the VOR some anarchist will post it on SA so SA stays my best interface for following this event.

But I am now in Le Havre and will be much more interested in the TJV for the next few weeks. A variety of super intersting and different boats are here and lots of really top sailors. It's all just a lot more fun than the VOR, which is now by comparison pretty pedestrian. Just hope the website and tracker for the TJV works better than the VOR's attempts. It usually does. Next trip - to Salvador for the finish!

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

not sure, but shit tons of them do.

I believe you, only pulling your leg.  Shit tons? that would be the American version of the English "shit loads"?

Still no news from the AN front?

This is getting ridiculous. Why can't these people start acting as grown-ups! Smoke the peace pipe, get Salter and Chuny back. And win the fucking race!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Face said:

Still no news from the AN front?

Face ..it is frustrating for Paintwagon followers I know. Bindi tells me getting anything out of anybody in the village is like getting sense out of a turnip.

She did tell me the special security detail in the Portugese Guarda Nacional Republicana carry Glock 19's as opposed to their uniform brothers who get Sig Sauer P320's. Upon asking her how she got this piece of riveting information, she said Mr Smiley Security Face with the bulge overseeing the Village ribbon cutting told her. Why did he tell you that I asked. Oh I showed him my Texas Tan she said. Well the Minister and the Mayor wouldn't be too happy to hear you were distracting him I said. 

Not true she said. He wasn't there protecting the suits. He follows Mark Turner around everywhere to catch him in case of another spill.

Anyway Face I know it is not much, but that's all we could pull out of Lisbon yesterday.

IMG_20171101_100532.jpg

IMG_20171101_101158.jpg

IMG_20171101_101554.jpg

• Like 3

Finally, some coverage of capable sailors in mainstream media. Here is a good article in the New York Times highlighting the opportunities for women in the VOR:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/sports/new-rule-opens-up-jobs-for-female-sailors-at-the-volvo-ocean-race.html

10 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Simeon should stick with the Crew he has now. These guys & girls are good.

I think they are probably one of tightest teams out there now and in top spirits after Leg 1. Some teams in this show would beg for some of that, because money can't buy it.

However they are 2 crew down or 1 down if the dude they borrowed from Scally stays on. So some new faces will appear.

• Like 1

Good vibes and team spirit will help a team perform under duress. But if Akzo and the slick Dutchman can't figure out their finances, how will they pay for crew and services?

It is like a game theory prisoners dilemma, ST wants to sail and wants his management company to get a cut, AK wants to cut cost and not tarnish themselves even more. I suspect this will go down to departure day again. 

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I suspect this will go down to departure day again.

Might be right there Miff. If the Paintballers fuck this up after what they have seen can be achieved under duress, I'm never buying Awlgrip again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Might be right there Miff. If the Paintballers fuck this up after what they have seen can be achieved under duress, I'm never buying Awlgrip again.

Hempel thanks you for your business. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herman said:

AN dissolves the 2nd contract and asks the sailors to join the AN payroll. It looks like an elegant solution with minimal loss of face for the involved parties.

Herman thank you very much for translating that newspaper article. However there are two corrections and or additions that need to be made. 

Firstly the above omits the explosive email message addressed to Teapot  snd the crew mid-way through the prologue one morning. It stated and I apologise if my translation is not quite precise, as follows.

Message: "We take from Tienpont, who is captain, employer and manager of the operation, all directions and operations from his hands. Everyone else is now to be employed by Akzo. Tienpont may stay as a skipper, nothing else. Respond before 1 o'clock!"

Now that is hardly an elegant solution with minimal loss of face for the involved parties, as reported above in your post. 

It left the crew in a unenviable if not diabolical position and a few hours to consider while at sea mid race. It left Teapot with no option but to tell the Paintballers to stick their email up their arse and see you in Arbitration. This dumbfuck gun to the head Paintballer approach proved to be the own goals of own goals, as determined by Arbitration outcome some 11 days later.

Secondly, you omitted to recognise Teapots appointment of Madge and her partners legal, PR and general gossip firm to look after his arse. It will probably take years for the full story of the girls contribution to come to light. In fact it might be decades if the period the Kennedy Assasination  files were sealed from public view, is taken as a guide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alinghi4ever said:

These guys & girls are good.

But not good enough. And not big (strong)  enough.

The two parties (ST / Steam and AN) actually need each other to come up with a strong enough crew that could win a podium spot in the race.

They need Salter + one, probably two strong, experienced guys.

One interesting side of the story which I haven't seen addressed yet: the position of the girls on board. If one of the two -Nagel or Grael-  drops out (for whatever reason, injury or having enough of this whole situation) they will be impossible to be replaced on short notice, resulting in the boat having to be sailed by only 7 men...

(this is actually a problem the other teams have as well) 

• Like 1

And beggars can't be choosers. 

Akzo boat did a great job in adversity. Problem is now there's uncertainty cloud over them, and as attractive as doing a VOR is - professional sailors who actually have experience aren't going to drop everything and everyone at the last minute without good guarantee income. It isn't an accident that basically all the experienced ppl jumped ship. How do you get more is the Q? One you can't solve by saying well we can sail really well - but I can't promise you won't be left at the docks in Capetown when we've run out of money and the boat isn't allowed to leave and you have to buy your own ticket home. 

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

professional sailors who actually have experience aren't going to drop everything and everyone at the last minute without good guarantee income. 

Completely wrong.  There are plenty of ex VOR sailors who will jump at the chance to get aboard.  Maybe not the cream of the crop, but plenty of great RTW sailors, and plenty of them can make the time.

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Completely wrong.  There are plenty of ex VOR sailors who will jump at the chance to get aboard.  Maybe not the cream of the crop, but plenty of great RTW sailors, and plenty of them can make the time.

Sounds good. Give us an exclusive re Akzo team re what's going on from the inside scoop and who is flying where to join them. 

If Xabi calls you up and says he has a spot you jump. If Brad calls an old mate they'll jump. Let us know who ST is calling and when they jump. 

14 minutes ago, Miffy said:

It isn't an accident that basically all the experienced ppl jumped ship. How do you get more is the Q? One you can't solve by saying well we can sail really well - but I can't promise you won't be left at the docks in Capetown when we've run out of money and the boat isn't allowed to leave and you have to buy your own ticket home.

Miff as long as our arses point to the ground the Pussywheelers will underwrite any potential shortfall in potential funding above the Paintballers contribution. Simple maths, their $ loss if they didn't would probably exceed that by a country mile.

Geez Mifster.  I reckon they should just chuck it all in and call it a day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Miff as long as our arses point to the ground the Pussywheelers will underwrite any potential shortfall in potential funding above the Paintballers contribution. Simple maths, their $ loss if they didn't would probably exceed that by a country mile.

Hope so. Tho may be complicated by fact that Akzo the paint company is an actual Race Sponsor - DF/MAPFRE may be less than happy that not only did they not get the late entry discount, but they're footing the bill for the official sponsor - what is this? another official team after TTToP?

Southerncross: No - it is called recognizing it isn't easy. I don't pivot from OMG VOR is terrible sinking no funding major cuts OD ruining everything evil north sails southern spars to OMG coverage is great, best ever, love the race experts, etc etc etc. Just calling it as a I see the reality. 

35 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If Brad calls an old mate they'll jump.

Not sure Brad is taking or receiving too many calls just now as his head is probably still spinning. If he is speaking to anyone it will be Teapot, subject to money and their relationship being not irretrievable. Bear in mind they worked together pretty well to date, did a fine job in the Prologue and Stage 1 has dispelled any fears BJ may have had about Monson's capacity.

I suspect BJ probably had more issues with being asked to tear up his contract with AK, which provided backpay - and sign another contract with ST's pass thru organization that still owed him money. If I recall correctly, he's been more hands on in the entire build up w/ AB on the new boat and crew - ST went to Bermuda for who knows what when for the AC shenanigans. 

35 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Sounds good. Give us an exclusive re Akzo team re what's going on from the inside scoop and who is flying where to join them. 

If Xabi calls you up and says he has a spot you jump. If Brad calls an old mate they'll jump. Let us know who ST is calling and when they jump. 

Unfortunately I have too much on my plate to devote investigation time to the VOR right now, and I just canceled my trip to Lisbon that was supposed to happen tomorrow night to go and shoot a show in Chicago.  I have to rely on SA forums like everyone else!

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

ST went to Bermuda for who knows what when for the AC shenanigans. 

To find money

1 hour ago, Face said:

One interesting side of the story which I haven't seen addressed yet: the position of the girls on board. If one of the two -Nagel or Grael-  drops out (for whatever reason, injury or having enough of this whole situation) they will be impossible to be replaced on short notice, resulting in the boat having to be sailed by only 7 men...

(this is actually a problem the other teams have as well) 

They can sail with just one girl if they had to.

21 minutes ago, Alinghi4ever said:

Team Chemistry is much more important than having some good Sailors onboard a boat especially in Ocean Sailing cuz you can spent at times up to 3 weeks together IMO. If some people can't stand each other during that time it affects the whole Team.

Totally agree on that. But I don't think ST and JS can't stand eachother. 

Salter is the guy they need and I would not be surprised if he is already in Lisbon.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

For some reason I only thought the addition of a JO was the only significant platform change for this edition. I just only noticed the keel fin has been lightened and increased in length from 4.5 meters to 4.7. That is quite a significant upgrade. Need to pay attention.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:44 AM, Yeah Buoy said:

Does anyone know where all of the OBR stuff is this time around?  I rarely do the website and use the iOS app.  I am probably idiot, but I was last time too and I could find it just fine.  Also, can someone start a thread and just post stuff Witty says? 

The main source of the stuff coming off the boats is the "Raw feed" page on the official site, at:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.html

I'm creating a spreadsheet of metadata about the OBR videos from that page (as well as the various videos posted to YouTube by the VOR people, the teams, and assorted others) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WVwCp5qwKKfOeAnyFJyDjAIINpPhrj_FQC20DJ7StW8/edit?usp=sharing

Still working on that, but it's coming along. If you're super interested you can watch me talk to myself about what to do next on this Trello board:

https://trello.com/b/NdS8IopU

Re: that media-operation thread I started in the last edition; good lord what a whiner I was (and am). They've basically done everything I asked for. What will I whine about this time around?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jbc said:

The main source of the stuff coming off the boats is the "Raw feed" page on the official site, at:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw.html

I'm creating a spreadsheet of metadata about the OBR videos from that page (as well as the various videos posted to YouTube by the VOR people, the teams, and assorted others) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WVwCp5qwKKfOeAnyFJyDjAIINpPhrj_FQC20DJ7StW8/edit?usp=sharing

Still working on that, but it's coming along. If you're super interested you can watch me talk to myself about what to do next on this Trello board:

https://trello.com/b/NdS8IopU

Re: that media-operation thread I started in the last edition; good lord what a whiner I was (and am). They've basically done everything I asked for. What will I whine about this time around?

I was hoping you'd restart that thread :)

Re the media spreadsheet, very useful. As the Front Page noted (congrats), not sure how sustainable it is, but definitely  shows the VOR website what a good idea it is. They should be maintaining it :) 

Data junkies would love a chance to access this data too.

Meteorological data 

All of the boats will send 36 data points back to Race Control at Race HQ in Alicante every 10 seconds. This information covers temperature, barometric pressure, wind strength and direction. This data will be passed on to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts.

This data will contribute to more accurate weather forecasts and climate models in order to better understand the weather tomorrow and climate change in the coming decades.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/10225_What-is-the-Science-Programme.html

SA posters have interested enough data geeks who have used SA to beta test some fine tools (thanks, Volodia, forss, and, and, and . . . ). 

Give 'em some open data, and they will reward. 

1 hour ago, jbc said:

Re: that media-operation thread I started in the last edition; good lord what a whiner I was (and am). They've basically done everything I asked for. whine about this time around?

You don't think that's a coincidence, do you?

You call it whining.  They called it an incredible source of market and audience research and critique - all for free.  You know how much it costs to get a consultant to come to those kinds of conclusions?  And how much more it is to find one who comes up with such accurate observations?  

Pat yourself on the back, also for the Google Doc, which I gushed over on the front page a few minutes ago and will be using as a resource in the TV show that I me and a former OBR are about to start up.