Sign in to follow this  
judge

Sailing shoes for old guys.

For the last 40 years or so I've been a Sperry guy, and over the last 15 or so I've poured scorn on new style "technical", plasticcy shoes. Now, in my advanced years I have been diagnosed with "March-feet", or inflamed metatarsal bones, possibly with stress fractures <_< . I could ignore it for the last couple of seasons because the inflammation would resolve after one or two days, but now it seems it's here to stay.

I need a shoe with a soft, or at least well padded foot bed, especially in the area of the ball of the foot. Last 10 years I've been using the Sperry 'Bill Fish" which I thought were pretty good, but not any more. I obviously need grip, but not at wet foredeck levels (see "advanced years' above :rolleyes: .) and something other than day glows that scream "look at me" would be nice.

What do the cognoscenti suggest? I'm in AUS and price is not the first question I'd ask.

[And if you want to let me know your preferences on sunglasses, knives, sea-boots etc. have at it! :P]

for sunglasses, I still like Maui Jims. Nicest lenses I have owned, and pretty robust frames.

Knives are a bit tricky in aus since they banned any knife that can be opened with one hand. I investigated importing a nice Spyderco, and spoke to customs who seemed to unofficially indicate that offshore yacht racing would be acceptable grounds for special import of a sheepsfoot blade like the one I linked. Otherwise the Gill multitool looks pretty good.

I had a lot of heel pain. Sounds different than yours but just in case here is how I cured it. Every time I get out of bed, I stand back from our highboy dresser and put my hands on the top and lean forward and stretch. Count to 15. No more heel pain.

I switched to Slams and am on my second pair in 8 years. This old guy loves them

Me too. I've got flat feet and need good arch support, which is the Achilles heel of most boat shoes (rimshot), so I'm always looking for a better boat shoe. I thought Slams were way overpriced but then I saw them on supersale and picked up a pair for knockaround use. They've been extremely comfortable and have lasted a long time. I'd definitely buy them again, even at list price.

Laugh all U want. I've used sperry, Harken, and gill.....all crap when U add in a little salt water, sun shine and a few seasons .Oh! and a pair of rockports too!

I race big boats, active dingies and teach in dinghies weekley for 6 mo. a year . I bought a pair of Avia, New Balance and Wal Mart Starters, the "walkers" or runner designs, rotating pairs off and on. The only problem are they take much longer to dry out. A fresh water rinse after use and two days to dry are necessary. With three pair dry time really isn't a problem. I still use the Gills if extensive hiking strap use is anticipated but they are holed and have broken zippers but not from abuse....they are just crap from a durability standpoint.

I have added lifts to all the runners to help with a ankle problem. I can see several more years use from each pair of full time use. Believe it or not, the "Starters are winning out in durability, traction and appearance. My .$.02

I have the zhik zgk, but normally wear one stars. If you need a cushier sole maybe look for some suede skate shoes from converse or dc etc. I wear them for work and they are comfy but not day glow.

vans, converse or trainers. just only wear them on the boat and the grip will be fine. "sailing" shoes are pieces of shit in my experience.

Judge,

I am an old guy too. This doesn't address your question about shoes, but may be helpful; I hope so, because foot pain really stinks. March Feet sounds pretty bad. I had Morton's Neuroma, which is different, but also affects the metatarsal arch. The thing that helped me was yoga. The exercises, done in bare feet on a mat, strengthen the muscles in the foot, and pain from poor support goes away. At least that has been my experience. If your doctor says it's OK, you might consider it. Good luck.

BC

I had a lot of heel pain. Sounds different than yours but just in case here is how I cured it. Every time I get out of bed, I stand back from our highboy dresser and put my hands on the top and lean forward and stretch. Count to 15. No more heel pain.

sounds like Plantar Fasciitis

Sounds wrong but flexible shoes have saved my feet and knees. Used to have a flat foot and awful pronation issues. Spent 5 Months in 5 fingers(yea I know) and developed an arch and fixed most of my problems. Give it a try. Vivo barefoot has good stuff that could be applicable for sailing.

I switched to Slams and am on my second pair in 8 years. This old guy loves them

Which one?

1st pair was the "match-race" - grip lasted 6 years and still use them on land. Replaced with "code 3" - even better to wear and into a third year now. Good stuff

Columbia PFG fishing shoes are fantastic on a sailboat, good grip, comfy, supportive.

Which one?

1st pair was the "match-race" - grip lasted 6 years and still use them on land. Replaced with "code 3" - even better to wear and into a third year now. Good stuff

Where did you find the Slam Code 3's, or, for that matter, any other Slam shoes? -- they don't seem to be available in the US any longer.

For the last 40 years or so I've been a Sperry guy, and over the last 15 or so I've poured scorn on new style "technical", plasticcy shoes. Now, in my advanced years I have been diagnosed with "March-feet", or inflamed metatarsal bones, possibly with stress fractures <_< . I could ignore it for the last couple of seasons because the inflammation would resolve after one or two days, but now it seems it's here to stay.

I need a shoe with a soft, or at least well padded foot bed, especially in the area of the ball of the foot. Last 10 years I've been using the Sperry 'Bill Fish" which I thought were pretty good, but not any more. I obviously need grip, but not at wet foredeck levels (see "advanced years' above :rolleyes: .) and something other than day glows that scream "look at me" would be nice.

What do the cognoscenti suggest? I'm in AUS and price is not the first question I'd ask.

[And if you want to let me know your preferences on sunglasses, knives, sea-boots etc. have at it!

Try a pair of the Sperry Gold shoes. Much better than the regular Sperry shoes which are not very good quality anymore. The Gold Cuo models are lined with deer skin and they have a model with the performance soles you would find on a running shoe style

I have been in the shoe business for 30 + years at the high end level and have also sailed a few thousand miles every year for the past 30 so I am an old guy too but I know shoes. They are twice the price but well worth it and never get stinky. I wont let my younger crew guys leave their shoes in my boat as all of those runner type of shoes smell bad

Laugh all U want. I've used sperry, Harken, and gill.....all crap when U add in a little salt water, sun shine and a few seasons .Oh! and a pair of rockports too!

I race big boats, active dingies and teach in dinghies weekley for 6 mo. a year . I bought a pair of Avia, New Balance and Wal Mart Starters, the "walkers" or runner designs, rotating pairs off and on. The only problem are they take much longer to dry out. A fresh water rinse after use and two days to dry are necessary. With three pair dry time really isn't a problem. I still use the Gills if extensive hiking strap use is anticipated but they are holed and have broken zippers but not from abuse....they are just crap from a durability standpoint.

I have added lifts to all the runners to help with a ankle problem. I can see several more years use from each pair of full time use. Believe it or not, the "Starters are winning out in durability, traction and appearance. My .$.02

Stuff them with balled up newspaper (or almost any kind of paper) after you rinse them out. They'll dry overnight.

Stuff them with balled up newspaper (or almost any kind of paper) after you rinse them out. They'll dry overnight.

What is this "newspaper" of which you speak?

- your an older guy

- you live in AUS

then you already know that these are grippy, comfy, thick soled - and the right price

dunlop_volleys,0.jpg

I used to run 2 pair of Volleys, but they stay wet for days, stink, have a sole that loves to pickup stones and scratch the deck and are getting increasingly hard to find now that the major's don't sell them. By the time you buy 2 x pairs (to alternate) you're not that far off a decent technical shoe. Plus they really lack sole support. But yes, they grip!

What is this "newspaper" of which you speak?

It's this thing somebody throws on my front stoop frequently. "Phonebooks" also work. As far as I can tell, the only purposes of these things that get left on my stoop every now and again is to dry out my shoes.

www.RuggedShark.com

Thanks for the pointer. I just ordered these to try out:

https://www.ruggedshark.com/rugged-shark-classic-p-118.html

Just to close the loop, the shoes arrived late last week and they're not bad for a made-in-China article. I'd say the construction is equal to Sperry's classic leather model and it's marginally more comfortable but the arch support is still poor so it's not what I'd call a revelation.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice.

We're not yet into the sailing season here, but for bumming around I have bought a pair of "Sketchers" Memory Foam trainers. Very comfortable and the footbed foam has not yet compacted or lost any of its cushioning effect. There is a good range of styles available here in-store in AUS and now I have a handle on the sizing I can go net shopping too. Price here is $99 for the ones I have. I have found that most shoes with a "cushion" insole have the padding concentrated on the heel and arch, whereas my problem is on the ball of the foot.

Thanks again for your interest.

Yoga and Chuck Taylors

Mistral boating shoes, Light, not too warm en groovy.

Another question; What happened with Carver blocks? Can't find them anymore. I thought they had a good product.20144-100-11.jpg

If you need a more structured shoe get some shoe inserts to put inside you sailing shoes. I have been using them with a pair of Sperry's for a couple of years as well as a pair of Slam's. Been very happy and comfortable.

Boot%2BDrier%2Blow%2Bres.jpg

I used to run 2 pair of Volleys, but they stay wet for days, stink, have a sole that loves to pickup stones and scratch the deck and are getting increasingly hard to find now that the major's don't sell them. By the time you buy 2 x pairs (to alternate) you're not that far off a decent technical shoe. Plus they really lack sole support. But yes, they grip!

a shoe drier is a GREAT solution for wet shoes and stink. Everyone in ski country knows this, since we have used them all winter since we were kids.

instead of looking for a shoe that might work, why don't you just get a set of custom orthotics?

+1

Quite a few sports physios and a few sports physicians now make them as well as podiatrists, use a hard cell foam which is a lot better than the slippery plastic podiatrists use.

Just tried adidas clima cool boat shoes.

I like em a lot- best sailing shoe I've had in a while- I hate shoes- so having a pair I like is unusual-

Dry fast- great grip- don't look like space boots, light weight and fit well-

Yrmv

I wear these Henril Lloyd Deck Grip trainers and they've been great. Very comfy, well priced (AUD) and a good sole for boat use (won't pickup stones like the zkg).

I have one of the earlier models of these and they've given me 4 years of reliability, comfort and decent grip on the foredeck. Always ensured I looked after them and (rinse and dry) and only now is the sole coming off the shoe. Would certainly buy again.

metatarsal shoes

Why You Should Wear Metatarsal Work Boots

Why are metatarsal work boots so important? Because the metatarsal bones of the foot are very

I use converse convertibles.....combination deck shoe and flip flop.

Multipurpose, rugged, dependable and they take up less space in your seabag.

Thats a win win situation 

IMG_7803.PNG

As for sunglases...

clicks...dont put to sea without a pair 

also availible as bifocal

IMG_7805.PNG