• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QBF

Transat Jacques Vabre - 2015

On the cliffs of Etretat watching the turning marks. PdB went into irons during tack. First imoca is queginier followed by sma. Pics when I get back to the states on Tuesday

There's about 75 people crowded on this tiny piece of rock, including30 fans of Le souffle du nord, who are singing some kind of fight song accompanied by a tenor saxophone. Incredible atmosphere, and a beautiful day

Clean, two small typos in the title of your video - it's still 2015 and Vabre is without s (sorry, my "déformation professionnelle")

Merci, mec

As the boats leave the coast, the tris are up to 18s and not just the maxis but as the 50s hook in, there up to speed!

great footage of the boarding of the boats then out to the starting area very light start but the footage was just brilliant even with no wind you had had cameras on board then long shots ...profile, stern helicopter for at least half the boats maybe more but you could see the planning for the tack, the hoist of large reachers...the steering linkages on the tris to rudders along the beams

and not just footage of one show pony but most show ponys even the 40s

but the scale of Macif and Sodebo great .. and the sheer numbers of the 60s together Rivetting

Of course for us here, the true sailing peanut gallery, this race is going to be all about O Canada vs. Spirit of Hungary. They're .2nm apart right now. It's going to be epic and last longer than those over-too-fast Ultime multicoques.

the tracker features just kicked in interesting weather

Looks like it won't be a homerun for the moustache boats, although they might save some for Movember

Sodebo currently going 35 knots... In the dark, double-handed. Nothing to it.

Looks like an offshore breeze, so perhaps the sea state is really, really flat?

Any word on the Canadians?

They have now gybed, wonder if they fell asleep. Not enough coffee onboard ?

Looks like good conditions for the foils right now. 3 of the 5 new boats at over 20 knots and moving up quickly.

Maitre Coq broke something? Heading to shore slowly.

not enough tim horton's on board.

Looking at the tracker can't tell the distances to finish or between the boats? Hugo Boss is miles back.? I would have thought early on in the lighter stuff she might have had an advantage? Early days for Alex but wow he is a long way back.

HB is on the move.

with a VMG of 16.1 kts his 4.98 nm deficit to PRB will be short lived as their VMG is only 11.7 kts

Although this is a bit of a shakedown race for Hugo Boss I think that Alex will give it a red hot go.

HB leads PRB by 11 nm and still has a 5 kts VMG advantage although MACSF is closing both of them down now. Macif is now closing down Sodebo who still has a 14 nm lead but is starting to run into bigger winds & seas.

Launched off some freighter waves and blew up their primary A2. They have a spare on board but it is lighter, although better cut. Will have to nurse it to Brazil but we have other sails that can somewhat fill that hole in the inventory.

Eric (skipper) Twitter: https://twitter.com/ericsholden

Canadian Ocean Racing Twitter: https://twitter.com/OceanRacers

HW

not enough tim horton's on board.

Seems like Alex knows something the others don't....or he's deciding to avoid the really lairy stuff for a while with such a new boat

Yup

Alex Thomson, GBR, IMOCA HUGO BOSS: “The fastest route gives you a pounding, straight through the low pressure. I don’t like the look of that very much and so we will be watching and monitoring the other options. I don’t fancy 40kts and six metres waves. We have not done that on the boat yet and so we need to really look after the boat. That is priority. I am looking forwards to it.”

In the Imoca's and Open 40's there seems to be a split.

Hugo Boss, Macsf, Bastide Otio, Bateau de metier by aerocampus and Spirit of Hungary are going West South West, (240 degrees course)

Rest of the Imoca's (including Safran and EdR) are going West North West (275 degrees )

In the Open 40's Banque Credit mutuel elite and Groupe Setin took the south course, the rest more northerly.

When you look at the overall card it doesn't look like north is in the right direction.carte_parcours_vert_2015_copie.jpg

And Windyty foresee a high presure area in the course of the north fleet with the wind turning south.

Interesting.

Hey Volodia...you and your tracker are gems. +++++ Thanks again +++++++!

Absolutely! Esp. now that the official site switched to a Flash based tracker.

Flash... WTF! Its 2015, Flash has even more holes than ever and e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y. is switching to away from it.

Even advertisers on the major German news sites. They noticed, after a few months of serious mocking, that requiring flash for video content is not cool when the videos are right next to articles warning against the dangers of flash and suggesting deinstalling it... Special points go to "Der Spiegel" for the video about the perils of Flash, requiring Flash. :)

Boss in front, lets see how long that works. (And if he can keep his boat together.)

I'm liking what AT and the others in the south pack are doing. I can't really see how sailing into a low 2 days into the race as the northerners are doing is prudent. I suppose the routing is telling them it's faster but those are probably boat breaking conditions. I reckon there's going to be some expensive broken bits in the sea in the next couple days.

I'm liking what AT and the others in the south pack are doing. I can't really see how sailing into a low 2 days into the race as the northerners are doing is prudent. I suppose the routing is telling them it's faster but those are probably boat breaking conditions. I reckon there's going to be some expensive broken bits in the sea in the next couple days.

South is king as well in my opinion.

With dominatly southern winds most southern course is gaining most height I believe.

On the other hand: the northern fleet Imoca's is doing 18 knots while southern fleet is doing 12 knots.

We will see.

The ultime class tacked south at the moment. (they have a completely different race I think.)

Yeah AT said so on the last interview on the VG site. I guess since the wind is coming in from the west that it makes sense but it's going to suck big old donkey balls getting west. I reckon AT and GA will be able to get HB to a higher polar fraction than a lot of the other crews slogging it out in the low over the next day or so.

Interesting to see SMA pretty much hanging with the new gen. boats in the north.

I was surprised to see AT and GA happy to chance the wax on their Dalis, so close to the coastal fishing hazards. Better that than a force 8 gale at this stage I guess. Go HB.

Issue on Edmond du Rothschild?

Looks like they're going east...

Edit: They're out http://www.gitana-team.com/article.php?id=1149 hope there will be something in English soon. Apparently "a series of incidents" led them to retire due to the weather forecasts being rough and they didn't want to take further risks

Interesting race so far for the IMOCA fleet. Assuming that the most experienced French sailors with the fastest boats know what they are doing when it comes to routing, and that whatever has turned Gitana around 180 degrees on the TJV tracker at 20.00 hrs is terminal for them, then the current leader board for the top ten would read,
1 Safran DTL 0 miles
2 Banque Pop 12
3 SMA 16
4 Queg 27
5 PRB 40
6 Initiatives 48
7 Virbac 61
8 Le souffle 70
9 Newrest 80
10 Bureau Vallee 89
Rather different from what the trackers show.
I wish them all good fortune during what promises to be a tough old night out there!

Got to the race launch in Paris, see a few sailing rock stars. Going to be an interesting decision as to how far I to the weather to go before heading South. Following the girls on the Concise 40.

Looks very much like Safran is also done, turned back followed by tracker off.

With harsher weather still to come for the northern group there may be some early abandons still in the cards. Should Alex finally be the one who does not break his boat?

"Don't break the boat, get us some much needed performance data instead." seems to be not such a decision so far. (Esp. if the others already have lots of data.)

So the remaining new-gen IMOCAs are

HB - in lead

BP - WAY northwest

Virbac - in the wake of BP

Retired: Rothchilde

Probably out: Safran

I forget, are there any others?

Not in this race. It would be quite embarrassing if none of them made it to Brazil.

Not in this race. It would be quite embarrassing if none of them made it to Brazil.

Let's hope the remaining three make it. For me, can't help but root for HB.

The north and west option seems like a really good option for the tried and true like PRB, Queginer, Ryan B., etc... Not so much for the foilies. I like Alex's move a lot. In order to finish first, first you have to finish.

The north and west option seems like a really good option for the tried and true like PRB, Queginer, Ryan B., etc... Not so much for the foilies. I like Alex's move a lot. In order to finish first, first you have to finish.

Safran and EdR still had a couple of months to prepare versus HB, who only had eight days at sea, so I guess that extra time made them confident enough to go big. Although it sucks to retire this early, it's all preparation for the next VG, so I suppose some setbacks is to be expected

Bit of a demolition derby then. And all in only 35 hours or so. Except, this time nobody has hit anything - yet.

I guess the purpose of this race was for a shakedown and they've certainly got that. Breaking boats isn't on the agenda so really when it's all said and done we may not be able to take a lot away from this race.

Sheesh, just back from Le Havre and Étretat with some photos and Maître Coq, Edmond de Rothschild & Prince de Bretagne out, Safran sailing to Brest...

gallery_117532_1156_835005.jpg

gallery_117532_1156_396831.jpg

Some Ultimes

gallery_117532_1156_138483.jpg

Sodebo

gallery_117532_1156_522272.jpg

A real bad night.... 3 monos abandoned, one Maxi Tri capsized... but it seems all are safe.

60 ft. Edmond de Rothschild reported 40 knots wind in peak and 7 meter waves... must be tough times now

Oh.... and not yet noticed. This (Monday) morning Maitre CoQ had to take a break, too... :-(

http://www.transat-jacques-vabre.com/en/maitre-coq-retire

150916bi_3jml1025.jpg?itok=tU-ioIvG

So in total now 5 boats out of the race... thats more than 10% within first 30 hours. Really a bad quote.

And a question mark for SMA (ex-Macif) co-skippered by Mich Dej, has suddenly gone north.

Too early to say if they're out, but if I were a betting man...

Looks like false alarm/tracking issue. Good job I'm not a betting man.

Macif unable to make any ground on Sodebo? Is this a surprise, early days or conditions related.?

Early days.... new boats, and its a long run...

I would hope, they are close together, most of the way...

PS, Go O Canada Go.....

Macif unable to make any ground on Sodebo? Is this a surprise, early days or conditions related.?

Early days.... new boats, and its a long run...

I would hope, they are close together, most of the way...

PS, Go O Canada Go.....

Go O Canada go indeed but I do note Spirit of Hungary is in 5th. Go the Fa!

I wouldn't be surprised if MACIF was trying not to break the boat at this early stage. Also their trick foil is on starboard and I think they're on port right now, if that's a thing. At any rate, I was thinking today it would be good for the sport if Sodebo did well since Route de Rum was such a disaster and it is a high profile program.

The Ultime trimaran of Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain has capsized while they were 140 miles off La Coruna. The two co-skippers are safe and have taken shelter inside the trimaran. They have not requested assistance and their technical team is making every effort to organise help to rescue them and their vessel.

Am I right in thinking that prince de bretagne capsized recently in the Indian Ocean? Not sure the quote from the front page about it being the safest trimaran is valid, this is a modified orma 60 and very very light.

The Ultime trimaran of Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain has capsized while they were 140 miles off La Coruna. The two co-skippers are safe and have taken shelter inside the trimaran. They have not requested assistance and their technical team is making every effort to organise help to rescue them and their vessel.

Two Jacques Vabre multihull campaigns: two capsizes in a gust for Roland Jourdain !

Virbac training in 2013, PdB in 2015.

More time for his political activities (he is standing for election next December) ;)

Virbac look like they have turned around? Or is it a false tracking issue? Sodebo extending on Macif..

Looks like Virbac had to fix something. They lost a bit of ground to Intiatives-Coer.

The leaders of the northern pack seems to be more or less in the eye of the storm. SMA, BP and Q-LE will soon feel the intensity of the backside of the storm