• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
QBF

Transat Jacques Vabre - 2015

That profile of the bow is sensational. Very Speeddream like.

She looks pretty sad there without a rig.

Hugo Boss at la coruña port

More from la coruña

Thanks-- did you take those pics?

Just curious about the starboard quarter in Pic 2 : seems a bit ragged.

^I have always imagined that if I would have to stay alone at sea for a long period of time, that I would speak French fluently when I get back to civilization.

Sven Yrvind did that though more than one language. Other wont go that extreme way. :)

Hugo Boss at la coruña port

sure, very interesting, thanks for posting the photos, but this thread is about a race. There are two more threads, each exclusive for HB and Alex, and another for the new Imocas, so does HB really have to destroy this thread as well as their new boat?

Merde!

Just seems to be a fact of life; if you wanna get on in short handed sailing you just have to lean French (like Sam did!). Voila.

It's not really a matter that the racing is mostly based out of France or that the skippers are mostly French. Look at English Premiere league football which is pretty much the most watched sports league world wide. They make sure to show the games in whatever language they need to reach the viewership they want. Even US sports leagues do a decent job, you'd be surprised at the amount of NBA, MLB and NFL you can watch all over the world in a multiplicity of languages even though (outside of basketball) these aren't "world sports". Chinese fans don't care that LeBron James is a black guy from Akron. F1 is popular all over even though the teams are mostly based in England. The upshot of all this is that EPL and F1 Teams have sponsorship from all over the world and they get TV revenue from all over which grows the sport.

A few Vendee cycles ago, almost in spite of itself there was a big draw of international sponsors but that was mostly due to the enterprise of individual skippers I think, you had sponsors like Motorola, Whirlpool, Roxy, Artemis, Ecover etc. But the core sponsors that stay around are mostly French and outside of AT few have managed to hold a non French sponsor for multiple cycles. In fact the French sponsors will often change skippers so it's not just a sponsor-skipper relationship it's a sponsor-sailing relationship which is what the sport needs.

Anyway my point is fans don't so much care if the sport is played in a foreign country by foreigners, what they care about is if the sport itself and the coverage is compelling and accessible. Fundamentally, 1 or 2 people wrestling huge hi-tech boats across the oceans, taking whatever nature throws at them, using nothing but what nature gives them is compelling on so many levels and if it is presented even half-way decently the audiences will come and then everything else that goes with that.

Some skippers do it REALLY well. Conrad Colman is a good example. Perhaps no coincidence that he's fluent in French too. Shame he can't land the sponsorship money to finance his entry, so far anyway.

Yeah, it's a real pity he can't get sponsors. It was actually Clean's interview with him, during their stop on the BWR, that made me realize how cool guy Conrad is. He really deserves a place on the VG. He should be the sponsors' dream, his bilingual reports during the BWR were really fun to read.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for such positive comments guys. They certainly help me get through the long days and nights chasing sponsors!

I have a project in the works and will be sure to share it with the SA community when its more concrete.

- Conrad

Merde!

Just seems to be a fact of life; if you wanna get on in short handed sailing you just have to lean French (like Sam did!). Voila.

, what they care about is if the sport itself and the coverage is compelling and accessible. Fundamentally, 1 or 2 people wrestling huge hi-tech boats across the oceans, taking whatever nature throws at them, using nothing but what nature gives them is compelling on so many levels and if it is presented even half-way decently the audiences will come and then everything else that goes with that.

How many times have we had to sit through coverage pandering to noobs and casual fans? It's tiresome.

The AC34 was new territory for everyone and you put up with the silly stuff and hung on for the technical details.

Now what? We all pretty much know that these new boats (IMOCA 60's and Ultime tris) have some radical designs and are driven by some great offshore racers. I would bet any coverage of VG or RdR, in English, would be watered down and embarassing to anyone paying attention thru the years. It's just the way things go with American TV and sailing.

Like they say, we all need to learn French if we ever want to get dialed in to some in-depth coverage.

Or just wait for the next Vendee, when we will once again cover everything, and in english. Unfortunately having a 3 month old baby meant to TJV start for me, and it's not like any other english language site that can be bothered to do anything but cut and paste press releases.

Or just wait for the next Vendee, when we will once again cover everything, and in english. Unfortunately having a 3 month old baby meant to TJV start for me, and it's not like any other english language site that can be bothered to do anything but cut and paste press releases.

What happened to the agreement with SKMs ???

Come on Clean, no point getting the exclusive if you can't share it. Might as well be home with the wife and new addition to the family.

, what they care about is if the sport itself and the coverage is compelling and accessible. Fundamentally, 1 or 2 people wrestling huge hi-tech boats across the oceans, taking whatever nature throws at them, using nothing but what nature gives them is compelling on so many levels and if it is presented even half-way decently the audiences will come and then everything else that goes with that.

How many times have we had to sit through coverage pandering to noobs and casual fans? It's tiresome.

The AC34 was new territory for everyone and you put up with the silly stuff and hung on for the technical details.

Now what? We all pretty much know that these new boats (IMOCA 60's and Ultime tris) have some radical designs and are driven by some great offshore racers. I would bet any coverage of VG or RdR, in English, would be watered down and embarassing to anyone paying attention thru the years. It's just the way things go with American TV and sailing.

Like they say, we all need to learn French if we ever want to get dialed in to some in-depth coverage.

You know what though, I enjoyed the fact that when NBC was covering the rugby this past w/e that they snuck in the odd clarification about the rules and rugby is a dead simple game. I'm sure there were some "serious rugby fans" who were pissed about "pandering to noobs and casual fans" but guess what? NBC knows there are more of the latter than the former. There aren't enough "serious sailing fans" to *not* "pander to the the noobs and casual fans". We sailors need to get over ourselves. The number of people outside of France who could just get thrown into IMOCA class coverage with no background (even among sailors) is minuscule. I've been following offshore racing since the late 90s and still need some schooling every now and then.

Come on Clean, no point getting the exclusive if you can't share it. Might as well be home with the wife and new addition to the family.

I don't remember claiming any exclusives though my interview with Alex an hour ago was as exclusive as it gets. Anyway, what happened with OSM was that, as usual in these things, getting the job done means a lot more work than anyone estimated, and so movement has been slow. Meanwhile, SKM and other partners are laying out a lot of dough in their attempts and OSM is still trudging forward as you'll see during the Vendee, where I expect a lot of branding, some hard work ensuring there is a solid english language media and spectator presence, and major promotion of several interesting Open 60 races to be announced over the next 12 months. There are one or two if/comes to follow that are extremely exciting for fans of any kind of ocean racing, but I tend to stay cynical on the really grand plans until there's something solid behind them. I was more confident when Leslie Greenhalgh was working on it, but Lord Ben and the Portsmouth ACWS stole her away.

Some skippers do it REALLY well. Conrad Colman is a good example. Perhaps no coincidence that he's fluent in French too. Shame he can't land the sponsorship money to finance his entry, so far anyway.

Yeah, it's a real pity he can't get sponsors. It was actually Clean's interview with him, during their stop on the BWR, that made me realize how cool guy Conrad is. He really deserves a place on the VG. He should be the sponsors' dream, his bilingual reports during the BWR were really fun to read.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for such positive comments guys. They certainly help me get through the long days and nights chasing sponsors!

I have a project in the works and will be sure to share it with the SA community when its more concrete.

- Conrad

friwi = French Kiwi? Like Sam, I guess moving to France and learning French is the way forward for short handed and solo open racers. Thanks too for your English reports into the French races.

Good luck with your sponsor search. I still laugh over the aptness of some of your metaphors, like sargasso as "motivated velcro" #543

I don't remember claiming any exclusives though my interview with Alex an hour ago was as exclusive as it gets. Anyway, what happened with OSM was that, as usual in these things, getting the job done means a lot more work than anyone estimated, and so movement has been slow. Meanwhile, SKM and other partners are laying out a lot of dough in their attempts and OSM is still trudging forward as you'll see during the Vendee, where I expect a lot of branding, some hard work ensuring there is a solid english language media and spectator presence, and major promotion of several interesting Open 60 races to be announced over the next 12 months. There are one or two if/comes to follow that are extremely exciting for fans of any kind of ocean racing, but I tend to stay cynical on the really grand plans until there's something solid behind them. I was more confident when Leslie Greenhalgh was working on it, but Lord Ben and the Portsmouth ACWS stole her away.

Goed bezig!

Like I said before: Please, please get the talking about AT with or without interview to the „sinking“ thread and here lets talk about the ongoing race.

Why open one thread after the other only to mix everything with the other? It starts to get confusing.

Apparently very little wind ahead for the coming hours, for Sodebo and Macif according to the tracker (but they don't need that much ..).

On which one do you bet for the win ?

Macif looks a little quicker in light airs, But Sodebo has a little more multihull experienced sailors on-board.

So I would go with Thomas and Jean-Luc, giving them a slight edge due too over all experience.

But this will be close.

Yes, but Thomas seems to be short on luck usually ;)

I bet on Macif (and Pascal Bidegorry has a lot of multi experience)

Looks like I'm going to win ! :)

Wow, and the last new Imoca standing is now second !

• Downvote 1

Like I said before: Please, please get the talking about AT with or without interview to the „sinking“ thread and here lets talk about the ongoing race.

Why open one thread after the other only to mix everything with the other? It starts to get confusing.

+1. Maybe ocean racing would get more popular with the public if the press ,and some of the so called fans, would actually show some interest in, and do some real reporting on actual racing instead of becoming fixated on an unashamed publicity stunter who has predicatbly crashed out. Potential sponsors would like to think their names and the good sailors and the boats they sponsor would be reported about when they are doing what it says on the can. i.e. actually racing.

The continuing race, especially amonst the Imocas who are racing, is nail biting right now. We have a tremendous tussle at the front with PRB, Bank Populaire and Queguinier all within about 20 miles of each other and the foiler BP having been well overtaken by the older PRB and Queguinier who is snapping at his heels about 2 miles behind. In 5th place Sam Davies (English!!!) with Tanguy de Lamotte on Initiatives Coeur, having rebuilt their transom whilst still racing with only one operable rudder a couple of days ago (rather than crashing out!) are now relentlessly gaining on the 4th placed french driven Le souffle du Nord which overtook them when they had to slow down a bit whilst the resin was curing on their laminating work. The first 3 trying to wriggle free from the doldrums, the next two just struggling to get through. With updates every 30 minutes and interseting news (in French of course) on the official web site, I am finding it difficult to get enough sleep!

Also, when not following the TJV at least there is still some great quality real reporting about a race still available on SA. I refer of course to the Mini Transat where someone is doing a fantastic reporting job on the forum!

+1. Maybe ocean racing would get more popular with the public if the press ,and some of the so called fans, would actually show some interest in, and do some real reporting on actual racing instead of becoming fixated on an unashamed publicity stunter who has predicatbly crashed out. Potential sponsors would like to think their names and the good sailors and the boats they sponsor would be reported about when they are doing what it says on the can. i.e. actually racing.

The continuing race, especially amonst the Imocas who are racing, is nail biting right now. We have a tremendous tussle at the front with PRB, Bank Populaire and Queguinier all within about 20 miles of each other and the foiler BP having been well overtaken by the older PRB and Queguinier who is snapping at his heels about 2 miles behind. In 5th place Sam Davies (English!!!) with Tanguy de Lamotte on Initiatives Coeur, having rebuilt their transom whilst still racing with only one operable rudder a couple of days ago (rather than crashing out!) are now relentlessly gaining on the 4th placed french driven Le souffle du Nord which overtook them when they had to slow down a bit whilst the resin was curing on their laminating work. The first 3 trying to wriggle free from the doldrums, the next two just struggling to get through. With updates every 30 minutes and interseting news (in French of course) on the official web site, I am finding it difficult to get enough sleep!

Also, when not following the TJV at least there is still some great quality real reporting about a race still available on SA. I refer of course to the Mini Transat where someone is doing a fantastic reporting job on the forum!

Personally, I don't mind a bit of loosely related thread drift. Just sayin.

Would have been a much better post without the first paragraph. Feels like the majority of posts demanding to take Alex to his own thread are actually fueled by posts demanding to take Alex to his own thread. DO'H.

Back to the race. Distance to leader is quite interesting:

IMOCA 19nm (3rd: 21nm)

Ultime 121nm

Multi50 148nm

Class40 231nm <--- Le Conservateur did something right. Leading by 7,7% of the distance sailed so far.

So most races are won unless the leader breaks.

In the IMOCA the tens of millions spent on new boats question is if BP8 can spool up again and can catch PRB. Or of course if the last mustache left over also breaks. We'll get an answer to both questions once they find a bit more wind. I think QLE is locked into 3rd.

Based on the direction of the three boats at the midnight update it looks as if Queguinier has overtaken BP. Question is will Yann and Vincent be able to maintain their leads once BP gets back into some breeze.

Apparently very little wind ahead for the coming hours, for Sodebo and Macif according to the tracker (but they don't need that much ..).

Macif looks a little quicker in light airs, But Sodebo has a little more multihull experienced sailors on-board.

So I would go with Thomas and Jean-Luc, giving them a slight edge due too over all experience.

But this will be close.

Yes, it does, Macif looking very quick now, and a steady 2 - 4 knots quicker at this stage.

Great race

But this will be close.

Yes, it does, Macif looking very quick now, and a steady 2 - 4 knots quicker at this stage.

Great race

Starboard side foil really working hard?

Kind of like going to hockey games for the fights, or auto races for the crashes, or taking binoculars to concerts.

This race is heating up, so please take the distractions elsewhere. Thank you very much.

The people complaining here about what others want to post on this thread are not moderators, in fact this is SA, where we get away with almost no modding. If their posts have some relevance to the TJV let them post away I say.

The people complaining here about what others want to post on this thread are not moderators, in fact this is SA, where we get away with almost no modding. If their posts have some relevance to the TJV let them post away I say.

I'd moon you if I could.

I'd moon you if I could.

( )*( ) Should do it.

I always wondered about the folks here who seem unable to scroll past irrelevant posts without it completely distracting them from the main thrust of the discussion. Time for some ritalin, perhaps?

In the (today) new macif video clip, I couldn't see the foil, it must be hidden by the forward beam. Anyone else see it ?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3cabk1_jour-10-macif-ultime-transat-jacques-vabre-2015_sport

Macif obviously had a big advantage in the light airs. Something not at all surprising. In the first vids of Macif, she just looked incredibly light and nimble. Sodebo had the advantage when conditions were severe and with strong winds, but otherwise, the newer slightly smaller, lighter boat has an obvious edge. Question is, however, would Sodebo have enough advantage in the Roaring 40s and across the entirety of the Southern Ocean to win in a RTW race? I'm guessing it would be a preferable boat in those conditions, just not on the Atlantic transitions. How much of an advantage do the boats have in their respective strong suits?

In the (today) new macif video clip, I couldn't see the foil, it must be hidden by the forward beam. Anyone else see it ?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3cabk1_jour-10-macif-ultime-transat-jacques-vabre-2015_sport

Macif obviously had a big advantage in the light airs. Something not at all surprising. In the first vids of Macif, she just looked incredibly light and nimble. Sodebo had the advantage when conditions were severe and with strong winds, but otherwise, the newer slightly smaller, lighter boat has an obvious edge. Question is, however, would Sodebo have enough advantage in the Roaring 40s and across the entirety of the Southern Ocean to win in a RTW race? I'm guessing it would be a preferable boat in those conditions, just not on the Atlantic transitions. How much of an advantage do the boats have in their respective strong suits?

Tough to say, but I would guess the southern ocean is the beast to deal with, and to get through undamaged. I really like both tris, their awesome....

Somewhere, someone, on each team, will have looked at the wind averages for the RTW course, and made their choice, based on their interpretation of percentages of wind pressure....

I do like the on deck rear cockpit/cabin on macif, looks like a very practical idea, for staying close to the action, and resting..

Thread drift, it's what we do best.

The apparent wind increase due to an unforeseen rate of thread drift has created an unanticipated point loading among some of the thin-skinned monocoques around here...

Anyone else noticed that the wind forcast slider on the TJV website tracker seems to have stopped working?

A bit frustrating as lots of close racing in and around the Pot au Noir at the moment.

Good old Volodia, its working OK there!

The apparent wind increase due to an unforeseen rate of thread drift has created an unanticipated point loading among some of the thin-skinned monocoques around here...

Good Lord guys,

I´m 66! How could I manage all this!

All over rover up front. MACIF well in control as Sodebo sits in a hole.

BP8 struggling in the light (as expected) although close enough still to do a blitzkrieg down the coast with the new breeze.

Hi all.Anyone other Sodebo rooters? I am dissapointed. They blew it! They didn't cover ,way back off of Spain. They should have been thinking more like match racers,they went off to the west.....damn.

I mean ,they knew very quickly how close in speed they were with Macif. Of course they would have expected Macif to get faster as their tuning improved,being a newer boat.And they were maybe worried that she ,being lighter would beat them in the lighter air.but to split off seemed really risky imvho.....you shouda covered the bastids........ok i'm done...yours truly" the boatless armchair Oiler in hicksville "~" "

start the flames

IMOCA

The lead group is still together. Not much wind so far, low speeds under 5kts and no real changes.

4th and 5th are out of the doldrums and back up to speed, 12+kts.

The rest of the fleet is compressing further and starts entering the doldrums. FIFO or something else? We'll see.

No news in the other classes as far as I can tell.

Interesting tactical battle developing with MACIF and Sodebo up front.

IMOCA

The lead group is still together. Not much wind so far, low speeds under 5kts and no real changes.

4th and 5th are out of the doldrums and back up to speed, 12+kts.

The rest of the fleet is compressing further and starts entering the doldrums. FIFO or something else? We'll see.

No news in the other classes as far as I can tell.

Not sure which Doldrums?

Leading 3 Imocas only just at southern edge and 4th and 5th still 100 miles or so to escape. Sam and Tanguy just creeping a bit further ahead of Thomas and Adrien.

The runaway is Yannick 274 miles ahead of the 2nd placed 40, but then Yannick is a brilliant sailor.

SailbyDate, I must be missing something, what tactical situation do you see developing between Macif and Sodebo? Macif is very far ahead of Sodebo given miles to the finish with Sodebo straight behind, I don't see the wind dying ahead or changing significantly over the next 48hrs so can you elucidate on what tactical/strategic possibilities you see ahead? As far as I can see, unless Macif breaks something Sodebo is fucked!

http://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/transat-jacques-vabre/2015/live

Just discovered this, for news of what is going on live on initiatives coeur.

Ah! Singing in the rain.

Yep, and their misery with wind speed and boat speed and direction updated every 5 seconds I hear!

Wow. I watched for a while, and the data updated seemingly in real time. Didn't check the time shift, but looks live. And Tanguay even responds to the comments. That's an amazing portal to the fans, and speaking of fans, that site didn't take long to set my laptop's fans spinning.

http://www.initiatives-coeur.fr/transat-jacques-vabre/2015/live

Just discovered this, for news of what is going on live on initiatives coeur.

Ah! Singing in the rain.

Yep, and their misery with wind speed and boat speed and direction updated every 5 seconds I hear!

Wow. I watched for a while, and the data updated seemingly in real time. Didn't check the time shift, but looks live. And Tanguay even responds to the comments. That's an amazing portal to the fans, and speaking of fans, that site didn't take long to set my laptop's fans spinning.

I am assured from a good source that it is 5 second updates (give or take, as its internet to your pc). Yes, experience their misery right now.

Here's a vid of prince de bretagne being docked upside down (still looks fast)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3cjrlt_transat-jacques-vabre-prince-de-bretagne-de-retour_sport

Google translate of http://www.letelegramme.fr/morbihan/lorient/transat-jacques-vabre-prince-de-bretagne-de-retour-ce-matin-05-11-2015-10838444.php

Transat Jacques Vabre. Prince de Bretagne back

November 5, 2015 at 9:38
That's hull upside the racing maxi-trimaran 'Prince de Bretagne "returned Thursday morning at her home port of Lorient at the pontoon-The Base.
Under gray skies and driving rain, the trimaran returned to the fold, around 10 am, towed by the tug of IWD Explorer JIFMAR weapons, and hydrofoils turned skyward since October 26 capsizing off Cape Finisterre. Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain accompanied their pontoon boat to Lorient-La Base, with the assistance of the port zodiac, Banque Populaire and Prince de Bretagne. The trimaran lifting operation is planned in the afternoon.
Engaged in the Transat Jacques Vabre, the maxi capsized Monday, October 26 evening off Cape Finisterre. Lionel Lemonchois and Roland Jourdain were recovered unharmed Tuesday afternoon by a Spanish helicopter.
Bayonne parties last Friday aboard a tug, both skippers and their crew arrived Saturday on the area of ​​his capsized trimaran back since. The downturn in the place of "Prince de Bretagne" should be done in the afternoon.

SailbyDate, I must be missing something, what tactical situation do you see developing between Macif and Sodebo? Macif is very far ahead of Sodebo given miles to the finish with Sodebo straight behind, I don't see the wind dying ahead or changing significantly over the next 48hrs so can you elucidate on what tactical/strategic possibilities you see ahead? As far as I can see, unless Macif breaks something Sodebo is fucked!

Well puppy..too little too late now, maybe. MACIF's lead is still substantial. But I thought I saw a small opportunity for Sodebo as MACIF went offshore to skirt the high and she stayed in shore. Nothing gained by following the leader. Of course, MACIF has now gybed back to cover and as you say, the wind remains steady for her at this stage. It's not over yet though.

Well, then call it erratic driving instead. :lol:

Ultime Still a done deal unless Macif breaks.

Multi50 Winner seems clear but who will be 2nd? Ciela Village is closing quickly.

Class40 Not too much change as fas as I can tell.

IMCOA Lead group up to 10kts for a while, BP8 still in 3rd and still loosing on PRB, now 31nm behind. That said they have 1850nm to go and it's far from over.

So if this was the VG, moustache boats might do well to the doldrums, depending on weather, then they lose big in the ITCZ, then try to catch back up once they get south

SoH held a press conference yesterday. They basically have no idea why the mast broke. Nandor suspects either a spreader breaking or a fastener falling off from one of the shroud attachment point. He found marks on the deck which may have been caused by this.

What makes the investigation difficult is that they had to jettison the broken rig, and during the process the co-skipper was nearly knocked overboard and the camera fell from his head. So all evidence is at he bottom of the ocean.

He is planning to replace the lost rig and enter the singlehanded New York to Les Sables d’Olonne race in next May to prepare for the VG.

BP8 on the charge again.

Certainly going faster than Q-LE, but unsure whether their faster speed compared to PRB is due to them sailing a broader reach

Tight racing going on between Stand As One and Matmut, only 0,7 nm separating them. Also Souffle du Nord hasn't given up either. Cruising quite nicely at 16 knots

Well, with Macif firmly in the lead, with only 228 miles to go, and Sodebo 173 miles behind, It looks like Macif will take this, but if you slide the weather ahead about 6-12 hours it looks to be dropping to 4 -5 knots as Macif gets there....

I wonder what the time difference will be between the Macif and Sodebo..???

Great race by the two of them. I think Pascal (JFC) is the winner here ´cause he decided to stay east in the doldrums when everybody thought that west was best. Great guy. Listen to Gabart saying that he was learning a heap from him.

Ultime, almost done 32nm to for Macif as I write. Won't take too long at 21kts.

Multi50, I think Arkema keeps 2nd.

Class40, I said nothing happened last time? Wrong, again, Solidaires en Peloton ARSEP made a stop right after me posting. Now in 5th and the chasing trio is a dou. Wonder if the back end of the fleet will make it to the finish without a provisioning stop. ;)

IMOCA, PRB in the lead, BP8 now 37nm behind. QLE also falling behind, 50nm. [Distance to finish btw.] A bit back LSDN back in 4th. At the back a nice fight between the remaining four.

Macif sure knows how to put a campaign together . . . again. Well done. Looks like Sodebo reduced the delta to about 90 nm. Well done to them too.

Fantastic race for the 3 groups of Imocas now. Can't see any of them getting much sleep from here on in.

More media I found from Initiatives. How do they do that?

https://theta360.com/s/lyYFotep8vKctzkgBehCewZbU

Looks like the camera is mounted to the sheet/halyard. Probably a bit of post processing of the cam software. The camera type was advertised on the page you linked to

Looks like BP has a small speed and VMG advantage over PRB.

Maybe there will be one moustache celebrating Movember? ;)

Sodebo arrived, 7h18m after Macif; that's about 1.17% more time.

On a 60 days around the world race, that would be about 16h time different at the finish line...

On a 60 days around the world race, that would be about 16h time different at the finish line...

only 16 hours ? you sure about that ?

only 16 hours ? you sure about that ?

That math is way of..

The elapsed time for Macif was 12days 5h 29m, which is 293,5hours. Sodebo was 2,48% slower. 7,3/293,5=0,0248 => 2,48%

On a 60day lap around the planet, the delta would be 35,7 hours roughly.

I mean, on a 5times longer race it doesn't seem reasonable that the delta would be only twice as long ;-)

Problem with delamination of main hull on Arkema. Apparently they're trying to figure out where and how to fix it without abandoning the race

TJV-Facebook

Ultime: Congrats to Macif and Sobedo.

Multi50: The fight for 2nd is closing, 30nm separation between the two, or 17nm DTF distance. On second thought it's already over, Arkema reported delamination problems with the main hull 2h ago. The remaining question is: Fix and finish or stop, fix and finish?

Class40: Something is up with Solidaires en Peloton ARSEP, "NL" on the tracker. They were previously stopped for rudder repairs. Still wondering if CERNO Moustache solidare has to stop for provisions along the way. They are not even past Maderia, 4100nm to go at ~8kts might take a while. (Would be nice if they do make it! Better last than never.)

IMOCA: The fight in the lead is still going, with PRB pulling away. 36nm ahead, current speed and 24 average better than BP8. QLE in 3rd is falling behind, now 85nm. 4th and 5th still going strong, IC still a bit slower on the 24h average. At the back of the fleet a nice formation flight of the remaining 4 boats. Probably needs some weather to mix that up. ;)

Is something wrong with BPVIII? They were closing in to 25nm and now dropped back to 45+, with speeds of 10kn vs. 14/15kn for the others around them.

^So when do you expect BP8 to retire? Cruising at 18 knots right now

Soon

I doubt that. Now up to speed again, although a little slower still than the other two. They were complaining about some energy problems and that they couldn't run their engine, but apparently now things work well enough. Also, wind is a bit unstable, so they can't utilize the foils all the time

TJV-site

Watching BP and PRB is interesting: can't predict whether the greyhound will catch the rabbit.

But if it goes light, we know PRB should not be headed.

Le Conservateur has been stuck in the doldrums for quite a while now. V&B only 80 nm behind.

Now down to 40, interesting...