• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Jerryd

Flying Tiger

148 posts in this topic

What ever happened to the Flying Tiger? Strangely quiet, particularly the 10M. We used to have one in a Melbourne, Florida that appeared to be semi-active, but I haven't heard about in for some time?

Jelani Owned by Clive Diem from Ft Pierce just won the Sprit class in the Newport to Ensenada race and was 11 th overall in PHRF out of some 150 boats in PHRF. The Melbourne boat I hear is going to be a little more active this year. The owner has been spending more time with his work and some with new granddaughter. Finding crew is a problem a lot as well so he says.

we have 3 boats on Long Island Sound, 2 at the same club...all 3 of these boats will be at Block Island Race Week in a mixed 30 something sprit boat class...still time to sign up if anybody else wants to come and play!!

Jelani Owned by Clive Diem from Ft Pierce just won the Sprit class in the Newport to Ensenada race and was 11 th overall in PHRF out of some 150 boats in PHRF. The Melbourne boat I hear is going to be a little more active this year. The owner has been spending more time with his work and some with new granddaughter. Finding crew is a problem a lot as well so he says.

Interesting. I live between both boats. I mentioned to the owner of the Melbourne boat (can't remember his name) a while back that I was always available to crew. It would be great to hook up with him at MYC.

Southern California fleet is alive and well. Hull 83 is just getting into the fleet with her new owner and FTB has a new FT10 (hull 118) in a container and on the way to San Diego! Hoping to get six or seven boats for Long Beach race week at the end of the month.

Shameless plug... FT 7.5 offered for sale in the classifieds.

I wish the Melbourne boat could sail more local stuff around here, in Melbourne.

Just draws to much. Once you get out of the ICW there are many places they would run aground.

I believe it is going to be at the Cape Canaveral regatta July 18th. LarryE

I wish the Melbourne boat could sail more local stuff around here, in Melbourne.

Just draws to much. Once you get out of the ICW there are many places they would run aground.

Maybe an FT 7.5? But then he'd have to sail against that hot SR-Max

If they go offshore in July they should be in a good fleet.

M24, Olsen 30, Hobie 33, J27.

If they go offshore in July they should be in a good fleet.

M24, Olsen 30, Hobie 33, J27.

Nice mix! I PM'd you.

Wasn't there a FP story about a fleet of them that got shipped to Toronto?

17.1 knots ripping down the backside of Block on the Around the Island Race today!!...new best for Red Stripe.

post-6087-0-91562900-1435093045_thumb.jpg

Southern California fleet is alive and well. Hull 83 is just getting into the fleet with her new owner and FTB has a new FT10 (hull 118) in a container and on the way to San Diego! Hoping to get six or seven boats for Long Beach race week at the end of the month.

Shameless plug... FT 7.5 offered for sale in the classifieds.

LBRW is back on? Last I heard it was canxed b/c the OC guys wouldn't/couldn't come up. PM me if you want or fill me in on here. MHK doesnt have it on the calendar last I heard based on lack of participation.. I hope I am wrong. Maybe I've been launched.

Wasn't there a FP story about a fleet of them that got shipped to Toronto?

An order of 10 FT 7.5's went to that area for an adult sailing school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQoVUjedAhM#action=share

They're doing a great job of promoting sailing to women.

I would have thought an FT7.5 would be the last place you'd require a sausage fest...

Mex

The older f10 boats. I've heard there were some structural repairs needed. Like maybe the engine doors, or spreader caps. Does any body know of these know issues?

Yeah, he killed it with those turkey sandwiches!

Really minor stuff, not structural unless you hit a rock and addressed as part of regular maintenance. We treat ours as a big dinghy and all this is really DIY. Our 10 is less work than my son's Sabot!

Some folks bring it to the boat yard and sometimes get the run around.....

The older f10 boats. I've heard there were some structural repairs needed. Like maybe the engine doors, or spreader caps. Does any body know of these know issues?

We are looking to purchase a f10 in the teen numbers. Heard that the first boats that needaed a little strengthing in certain areas were still under warranty and pretty much fixed by local boat yards. This sound right?

I would be surprised if that were the case. Contact Academy Yacht Sales in San Diego as they are the broker for Flying Tiger in the U.S. 619-291-9568. They should be able to give you the straight story.

post-458-0-12799400-1439246788_thumb.jpg

There was a birth just 2 weeks ago in SD. Hull 118 and we would be happy to build one for you.

We are looking to purchase a f10 in the teen numbers. Heard that the first boats that needaed a little strengthing in certain areas were still under warranty and pretty much fixed by local boat yards. This sound right?

yes, the builder would typically send replacement/improvements parts (mast step, transom G10 reinforcement, ...) and in many cases did cover the cost of work at local yards.

This is #15 still going strong in San Fran with the new owner...

https://h2oshots.smugmug.com/2015-Sailing/2015-YRA-2nd-Half-Opener/i-czWWzgb/A

Cazza

Thx for info, did talk to academy yacht sales.

All that was needed was g10 added on inside of tansom by rudder and some g10 under mast.

So no big deal little more structure to carry the loads.

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

There was a birth just 2 weeks ago in SD. Hull 118 and we would be happy to build one for you.

Ok, have to ask now, in round numbers, about how much does a new f10 cost these days?

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

Ok, have to ask now, in round numbers, about how much does a new f10 cost these days?

by the time it arrives youre looking at 170k+

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

Strong guy -- holding up the hull.........

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

I wish I could have seen the 'extraction'. I just got to see it in the nursery and it looks nice.

IMG_1422_zpsmlpr6wjb.jpg

Price ex-factory 69K USD. Add freight, commissioning, instruments, outboard, and racing sails. Under 100K gets you fully kitted out.

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

by the time it arrives youre looking at 170k+

You must be confused with the Flying Tiger 13.8

post-195-0-85266600-1439413183_thumb.jpg

To all of those with engine door problems I was able to take a piece of scrap stainless approximately 1/8" thick and cut a template that matched the grooves etched in the fibreglass. Just epoxied and screwed in to match the curve that was originally etched and has worked flawlessly for two seasons. Biggest problem I now have is in keeping water out of the front bowsprit on heavy weather days. Still looking for an answer to that!

Also the PHRF rating on Lake Erie (48) makes it less competitive against the J120, the Melges, the Henderson and even the Benetau 40.7. We are consistently losing to older Shock 35. Rig tension plays a heavy part in how fast we sail, but we are consistently that bad a group of sailors, or the other boats are that good.

I would think a lot would depend on wind condition and sea state. In under 8 and flat water you should beat the J120, the 40.7 and the shock. The better sailboat would win between the Hendo and tiger unless they were idiots on the 32 they would win. med air the big boats take it. Heavy air if you can control her the Tiger should be as good as any.

We consistently lose to a J39 which rates 48 the same as the Tiger. We've tried various rig tensions in various wind conditions. Can't keep up going to windward or even downwind. Would love to know what we are doing wrong.

Red Stripe rates 51 on Long Island Sound

I'm sailing the one in Waikawa NZ we shipped it in from Holland, pleased with the boat, I've heard allsorts of negative shit none of it so far has proved to be correct,

good bang for your buck. Still learning the ropes and tuning it up, which is a bit difficult as no others to race against, so going by gut feeling. It feels like it should be quick.

Bill, would love to see some pictures of your boat sailing in the beautiful Queen Charlotte Sounds

Thanks SENDITBOYS. What a great area to sail in. Very beautiful. Does the Marina there really have 600 slips ?

I have the FT10 in Auckland NZ. We are very happy with its performance. As a poster earlier in the thread said we have spent some time getting the mast rake ad rig tension set for best windward performance.

We are racing it in RNYS C Division and are very competitive in this fleet. Last summer season we were the division outright winners of the RNYS Commodores Cup series. This is the long distance series around the Hauraki Gulf. Also 1st equal for the Division club champs. Lost it on count back to an NZ37.

Because we are racing in a general handicap mixed fleet we have also fitted her with a masthead spinnaker. Turns her into a downwind rocketship! Here is a pic of it in use.

post-106597-0-49096200-1441499750_thumb.jpg

How did you mount the track for the spin pole ...what other modifications did you make to accommodate the change?

What about the 7.5 . How is that boat working out?

I have a 10m and would like to downsize, any comments?

How did you mount the track for the spin pole ...what other modifications did you make to accommodate the change?

We had to fit a mast sheave under the hounds for a spin pole topping lift. Some extra rope guides around the cabin to take the topping lift and downhaul and. Two extra clutches on the cabin top for the spin pole topping lift and down haul. We made our own spinnaker pole from carbon tube.

We did not fit a track for the pole, just a ring fitting at a single point riveted to the mast.

It is all working well.

rtt

b4t?

The boat is a lot of fun. There are 3 of them on San Diego Bay. One of those is for sale at Academy Yachts. There is another one up in LA. The boat is extremely stable and easy to sail. It feels much more like a keel boat than say the J/70 and is faster both upwind and downwind than that boat. I'm not bad-mouthing the J boat. I like that boat, but the fleet in San Diego never seems to go out and I didn't want to get on the travel circuit with a bunch of pros. It will feel beamier than your 10m and won't require near the crew. I race mine with 3 in lighter air and 4 is normal. 5 for heavy air days would be good. It takes 13 kts or so of wind to get it on plane. I have had mine to 13.8kts in15 kts of breeze with 4 aboard. All of the boats here have new jibs cut to max phrf limits and the boat tracks really well upwind. All the boats here also have newer spinnakers with a fuller cut to almost 900 sqft that allows deeper downwind angles. Give Academy Yachts a call and I'm sure they would be glad to hook you up for a ride.

Thanks for the interest. It is a fantastic boat. Sails very well. Easy to maintain. Fast and stable. Lots of sitting room for its size - similar to the 10m.

My boat is currently for sale in San Diego. It is boat USA 101. Listing in on Yachtworld.com. We will get it listed in the SA classifieds soon.

The boat is very well kept. No major repairs. No collisions. 90% sailed in light air. I had a great time sailing this boat for the past 5 years but decided it was time to try something new.

Let me know if you are interested in more info and come out for a sail. I am happy to help deliver the boat to a new owner.

last week Flying tiger took part in the Wine Race across Cook Strait NZ. We managed a 3rd place in a race that started off as close reach turned into a bit of a broad reach, a lucky dip when the wind ran out, when the wind picked up again it was on the nose and a tack all the way into Wellington Harbour to the finish. We managed 3rd on handicap and 5th over the line. https://www.facebook.com/nzwinerace/

the trip home was in less than ideal conditions we ran out of Wellington Harbour with a small jib up and the outboard on. At one point we hit 10 knots and the motor was struggling to keep up with the boat. By the time we were out of the harbour the wind speed was a constant 30 knots with gust in the high 30's. The wind was from the North and to get back to the South Island we had to head almost directly into the wind. We decided to go for the storm jib and the outboard so after a somewhat bouncy sail change we kept bashing away into a very steep and breaking sea. We were to say slightly wet, the inside of the boat was like a washing machine. needless to say we were very pleased when we reached the shelter of the South Island and got some respite from the wind and sea.

Once in the shelter of the Marlborough Sounds Life was much more pleasant and we cracked open a bottle Of Konrad savvy blanc only to find that all the glasses we had were somewhat salty. so necessity being the mother of invention we drank straight from the bottle. A short time later we were caught up by Voila a 54ft beneteau they had been worried about us as they were recording gusts of 50 knots and had taken some big greenies over the yacht. I was quite impressed with how the Tiger handled the weather, I learnt a lot and would do things a bit differently next time, However at no time did I think we were in the proverbial poo, even when getting knocked down and seas breaking around us. We did however find the keel bolts loose on our return. This may have been because the yacht has never been out in a sea so has never been given a good work out. they are tightened up now and I will keep an eye on them.

We did however find the keel bolts loose on our return. This may have been because the yacht has never been out in a sea so has never been given a good work out. they are tightened up now and I will keep an eye on them.

.....ummm,,,loose keelbolts,,,,on a lifting keel? :mellow:

We are buying a F10 and need a copy of the F10 manual. trying to figure out how to lift and lower keel and raise and lower boat with single pick. Anybody have a copy they could send?

Waffler:

Call Tom in SanDiego,

flyingtigerboats.com/flying-tiger-sailboat-10m/

Spoken like a proud parent :) and rightly so.

http://www.ft10class.info/resources

You might want to join the FT forum. The single point lift seemed to work well but I do recall that at least in one case a person had to stand on the bow. You really need some former or current owners input and cell phone numbers.

Also. If there are more pics of the new FT-10's please post. I saw a post elsewhere that made the point that all issues on the boat are solved, great price, add your own basic interior upgrades (thick cushions, 12 volt appliances) and you have a great, fast (PHRF 54) boat.

I also like the blue waterline better...sorry but light or dark blue was the better choice.

post-195-0-93143400-1448253013_thumb.jpg

You don't know what a well designed boat the Flying Tiger is until you sail another sport boat.

After 8 years of happy ownership circumstances changed, sold Panthera and ended up sailing on a Melges 32, driving it sometimes.

After the high transom excellent seating design of the Tiger the declining stern and low seating of the Melges is a disaster. Moving across when tacking means the back man has just a trip seat to land on. With a crew of 7 big guys the helmsman has the lowest seat on the boat and the worst visibility. Sailing boats without windows in their sails should br banned from crowded waterways. With hundreds of boats on our river, and the fastest one blind, I won't sail on it anymore.

I will Stick to windsurfing on the ocean this summer, my whole sail is a window! I sincerely give my Best wishes to the Editor, hope he has a success with his new Anarchy, and my comments might help.

anybody know what shaft length is needed for the outboard....standard or long shaft?

If you don't know what size your own shaft is I really feel bad for you....

Sorry couldn't resist. Merry Christmas

anybody know what shaft length is needed for the outboard....standard or long shaft?

Here in NZ we use the Tohatsu 9.8 longshaft.

Fits well, works well.

RTT

It makes noise....not the quietest engine, but pretty reliable.

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

Saw the 118 sails up on a boat with red stripes in the NYD race. Guessing that was ACPs hull with the new boats gear? Was just curious to see the new boat go and wasn't sure what the story was. Hope to see you fellas out this Saturday again. Happy New Year and congrats on the new boat.

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

Saw the 118 sails up on a boat with red stripes in the NYD race. Guessing that was ACPs hull with the new boats gear? Was just curious to see the new boat go and wasn't sure what the story was. Hope to see you fellas out this Saturday again. Happy New Year and congrats on the new boat.

I'm pretty sure those numbers and stripes were supposed to be changed to blue...

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

I'm pretty sure those numbers and stripes were supposed to be changed to blue...

You'll know when you see the new boat... That was hull 81 with the 118 sails/crew

attachicon.gifbirth.jpg

You'll know when you see the new boat... That was hull 81 with the 118 sails/crew

Thats what we figured. Looking forward to seeing it out there. Sounds like there are going to be a fair number of sportys in SD this year. Its about time (easy for me to say after buying that floating bar).. Congrats.

The would be CST Composites, at least for the original boats. i would double check with Tom Hirsh in case the post-100 series may have changed suppliers.

I see a mention of "spin pole". Are FT10s designed for sym spinnakers as well as asyms? How many of them use both?

I see a mention of "spin pole". Are FT10s designed for sym spinnakers as well as asyms? How many of them use both?

Were only designed for Asym, there's a guy in NZ who retrofitted a sym kite and seems to go quite well.

Looking good fellas!! Can't wait to splash in the USofA

Thinking about an FT10 for LIS. Any concerns about the draft on these boats? 7+ feel could be a problem in my area.

nope, just don't hit anything!! seriously, there are 3 between Southport and Black Rock on the CT side...where would your boat be? LIS has plenty of boats that draw more than 7' just stay behind a J44!!

Westbrook area- I thought my old J35 drew a bit at 7ft for the area. Is there any way the keel can be raised a bit while in the slip? or under power in a shallow area?

I'd think if you're in and around the Pilots Point area you'd be fine...you can't adjust the keel while in a slip or underway.

Westbrook area- I thought my old J35 drew a bit at 7ft for the area.

Is there any way the keel can be raised a bit while in the slip? or under power in a shallow area?

Keel can be raised all the way up with A frame and chain hoist as long as the keel chord is blocked inside the keel box.

For those owners who were not foolish enough to unnecessarily spend ~$5K on a fancy-shmancy C/F replacement rudder, the OEM rudder can be raised and shimmed at desired height in the cassette.

Lifting keel and rudder were one of the key design briefs along with limited sail replacement purchase that was negated by those owners who always try to buy their "fair advantage", never mind how much such deviations adversely affect the OD fleet.

Regarding the 'fancy shmancy C/F replacement rudder... Interesting. Much as us poor Tiger owners yearned to relieve the arse of 50+lbs of bog, we've not been able to determine an advantage when racing against our richer Tiger brethren who did. Best (most often quoted) comment we've heard is the C/F jobbie holds on better down wind (preventing a lay down). Of course, sailing properly also achieves this. And yes, we have a wee wooden wedge that allows the rudder to be raised in the cassette, to reduce drag downhill on light days...

Raising up the keel would be important in my area. There is a lot of shoaling in and around the Westbrook area, dredging seems to be a problem. August tides I'd be sitting in the mud. It seems that some of the boats have different methods of being able to conveniently raising the keel while motoring.

How do you feel the rating is for LIS? I'm told that its fairly aggressive for the area.

Raising up the keel would be important in my area. There is a lot of shoaling in and around the Westbrook area, dredging seems to be a problem. August tides I'd be sitting in the mud. It seems that some of the boats have different methods of being able to conveniently raising the keel while motoring.

How do you feel the rating is for LIS? I'm told that its fairly aggressive for the area.

The Tiger for sale in MI has a set up to raise the keel 2 ft or so to get in and out of his slip. In SA classifieds.

the MI boat is a great deal, it is setup really well. I have done a couple transeries and a mac on it.

"TIGER" in South Florida will be in the classifieds Tuesday if current prospective buyer doesn't come through on Monday.