• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

VOR Leg 9 Lorient to Gothenburg via The Hague

665 posts in this topic

Plenty to sail for in the minor placings.

Two sprints to go.

Anyone else hoping for MAPF to make the podium? ;)

Nope, I'm just hoping for Dongfeng to nail it and Brunel finishing last ;)

I gotta route for the only Swedish sailor in the race :-)

Does anyone know what the philosophy/thought process was/is behind the pit stop?

Isn't it mostly about exposure to the Dutch audience, mainly for/because of Brunel? Dont remember when Brunel signed up, but I think I remember that the pit stop was a rather late addition to the race?

Isn't it mostly about exposure to the Dutch audience, mainly for/because of Brunel? Dont remember when Brunel signed up, but I think I remember that the pit stop was a rather late addition to the race?

The pit-stop was included after Brunel signed up. I can't remember anymore, but maybe also Powerhouse became sponsor before Den Haag was added, so they might have been a driving force for it too - the active sponsor they are.

Forgive my ignorance (wishful thinking probably!) but how does this pit stop work if it's one leg? Timings coming in and then set staged departures, a bit like the last edition getting up to Abu Dhabi?

Exactly.

Arrival is trough a timing gate. First boat leaves again on Saturday the 20th at 1200 though said gate (or an alternate), other boats follow with the time difference they arrived in.

No work on the boats other than by the crew with on board spares. Should be interesting.

I'm planning to go to Scheveningen to have a look at the boats and village. Program details here.

Initial weather routing for Lorient => Scheveningen and Scheveningen => Gothenburg based on the 00:00 UTC GFS GRIB run predicts an ETA for Scheveningen at the 19th around 03:00 UTC. Local time + 2 hours so 05:00 Dutch time/CEST. Then a 24-hour stopover up to 20th 03:00 UTC/05:00 local time, race restart. Routing to an outer marker 12 NM out of the finish, it would be around 21st 16:00 UTC to arrive there. Add for the remaining 12 NM 3 hours in light winds tacking up the river, and the Finish ETA is 21st around 19:00 UTC or 21:00 local time. As this is around the longest day of the year, they would be finishing in daylight. If the GRIB holds up.

input:

• GFS GRIB 00:00 UTC
  • 3 hour time steps
  • tides model North Sea and English Channel

post-49019-0-07228600-1434359890_thumb.jpg

post-49019-0-36979000-1434359900_thumb.jpg

Super Herman, thanks!

I may have gotten you wrong above, but as far I I read it, the first boat won't start from Den Haag before June 20, 12:00 (noon) local (10:00 am UTC), followed by the other boats in the order and time difference according to the arrival.

Please confirm or correct.

@Herman

Your routing is probably optimistic as it goes through 2 TSS

Super Herman, thanks!

I may have gotten you wrong above, but as far I I read it, the first boat won't start from Den Haag before June 20, 12:00 (noon) local (10:00 am UTC), followed by the other boats in the order and time difference according to the arrival.

ETA Scheveningen 19th 0300 UTC then 24-hour stopover gives a predicted race restart for the first boat at 20th 0300 UTC. Thats the start time to Gothenburg as used in that part of the leg.

Super Herman, thanks!

ETA Scheveningen 19th 0300 UTC then 24-hour stopover gives a predicted race restart for the first boat at 20th 0300 UTC. Thats the start time to Gothenburg as used in that part of the leg.

In the Addendum 6 it says:

8 HAGUE TIMING STOP-RESUMING RACING
(a) The first Boat will resume Racing at 1200 hours (local) Saturday 20th June 2015.
Has there been anything new issued that I've been missing (sorry to be so insisting, but I've been accused before to be a compulsive planner.)

@Herman

Your routing is probably optimistic as it goes through 2 TSS

Yep, I did not route in detail around TSS's, it's weather routing. But the routing did more or less avoid the TSS's. See the dark brown line. Sailing boats are anyway allowed to cross those on an angle <= 5 degrees maximum. I would probably stay under the French/Belgium coast in order to avoid crossing those TSS's twice, which have one of the highest traffic in the world.

post-49019-0-09440000-1434363276_thumb.jpg

Super Herman, thanks!

In the Addendum 6 it says:

8 HAGUE TIMING STOP-RESUMING RACING
(a) The first Boat will resume Racing at 1200 hours (local) Saturday 20th June 2015.
Has there been anything new issued that I've been missing (sorry to be so insisting, but I've been accused before to be a compulsive planner.)

You got me there, I missed that in the SI's. I wondered why they build a 3 day program around boats being 24-hours in port maximum, probably all at the same time. This makes more sense. My bad.

Updated start time Scheveningen for the first boat to 12:00 local / 10:00 UTC time to Gothenburg. ETA moved back to 23:36 UTC / 01:36 local time on the 22nd. Night finish. If GRIB holds up.

post-49019-0-73291600-1434366931_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Still quite a few TSS left for a repeat of the IJ trouble and a potential remix of the standings after the fact.

TSS exclusion zones ha been changed yet again, this time by providing skippers and navs with files.

No idea if Volodia manages to get those. =)

And now the coordinates are also in the SI for leg 9 amendment 8.

~18 TSS zones are covered. Something along the lines of "Any and all TSS zones are exclusions zones as far as the race is concerned and if the authorities just look at you you'll get dinged again." would have been easier. =)

In other news MAPFRE requested the reopening of their boat mod case, which was rejected.

Also heaps of new Q&A, mostly about TSS.

Exactly.

Arrival is trough a timing gate. First boat leaves again on Saturday the 20th at 1200 though said gate (or an alternate), other boats follow with the time difference they arrived in.

No work on the boats other than by the crew with on board spares. Should be interesting.

Thanks!

~18 TSS zones are covered. Something along the lines of "Any and all TSS zones are exclusions zones as far as the race is concerned and if the authorities just look at you you'll get dinged again." would have been easier. =)

In other news MAPFRE requested the reopening of their boat mod case, which was rejected.

Does anyone know whether or not Mapfre's hull did actually start to delaminate? (Not unheard of for the VO65). That would change my view about the IJ decision. Beefing up something which isn't breaking is one thing; reinforcing a structure which is showing evidence of failure is another.

Does anyone know whether or not Mapfre's hull did actually start to delaminate? (Not unheard of for the VO65). That would change my view about the IJ decision. Beefing up something which isn't breaking is one thing; reinforcing a structure which is showing evidence of failure is another.

Just blue skying, if if was less pro-active and more reactive, perhaps the issue with the IJ was in the "permanence" of the correction. If they had, for example, shored up the suspected area with a brace that could be removed upon arrival at port and documented that the hull was compromised I could see an acceptance.

However, it does seem more like they were pro-active and epoxied something in place like it was a permanent adjustment.

Gutsy move to try and open the issue....hmmm...I wonder if SCA could... (kidding).

The channel TSS is an exclusion zone, for this leg.

See http://volodiaja.net/Trackingfor the exclusion zones and main buoys.

Thx. The Dover vs Calais option it is, no crossing.

Wow, Tight on point for the minor placings.

There has been a lot of whining about this edition of the race. This one has kept my attention all the way to the end more than any previous edition.

Stay, this was the moment they touched at the back:

Photo replay: The moment @team_sca didn't keep clear as windward boat above @desafioMAPFRE. Hear there was contact!

CHdnK1oWIAAR97O.jpg

Photo replay: The moment @team_sca didn't keep clear as windward boat above @desafioMAPFRE. Hear there was contact!

CHdnK1oWIAAR97O.jpg

Staysail is asking about the subject of Case 8, not yesterday's encounter.

As far as I can remember there were not very well reported delamination issues on SCA during their pre-race trainings. Nothing else was made public.

Mapfre acted proactively, stengthening the bow section, IIRC.

CHdnK1oWIAAR97O.jpg

In the presser Sam was pretty cool to accept the hit/damage and apoligize to Iker. There was some frustraion as the camera had stayed on TBRU while this tight rounding was occuring. WHne they switche over all one could see was Sam waving arms and clearly not happy. When you look at the picture it is hard to tell how much room SCA gave, but not enough for contact it seems (sigh). I don't like contact or protests, but man I love the close racing with these 65s.

Despite the penalty SCA was able to grind back to 5th in a tough crowd. The alst in-port will be intense since SCA needs to beat ALVI by two boats to get on the podium, MAPF needs to beat SCA by three (with ALVI behind). If the podium means anything then the fight for third will not be gentle.

Just to clarify I was asking about the Mapfre penalty for modifying their boat.

This is the case they tried to re open. It is known that one of these boats suffered delamination of the forward part of the bottom during pre-race sailing in rough weather. I am interested to know whether Mapfre suffered a similar problem or not. Boat faults in this race to seem to be "hushed up", but the engineers amongst us are interested to know how structures like this are really performing. If Mapfre really suffered damage, in my opinion their action to re-inforce the bottom should not have been penalised. If Mapfre did not suffer damage/delamination to the bottom prior to their modification that would be an alteration to the design as opposed to a repair to damage sustained which could threaten the boat integrity. There is a world of difference.

I guess Mapfre must have been in the wrong though, else why not show some test report to the IJ?

This had nothing to do with the Lorient in port race.

VOR app stating that tracker will be live for the entire leg, but updates could range from 10 seconds to 5 minutes depending on technical limitations.

I think the only technical limitations they have are the people who designed the tracker and the people at VOR who thought the official tracker was a good product to put out there.

To borrow a term from baseball it is the bottom of the 9th and the bases are loaded.

Dongfeng needs to beat Brunel with 2 boats in between to grab second (unlikely they will do well enough or Brunel do badly enough in Gothenburg in-port to make up the tie break difference)

Mapfre need to beat Dongfeng by 2 places and Dongfeng not beat Mapfre in the final in-port by 2 places to get on the podium. Alvimedica need to beat Mapfre by 2 places and Dongfeng by 4 places and stay ahead of them in the Gothenburg in-port to get on the podium.

So Brunel needs to loose cover Dongfeng who needs to attack Brunel and still keep and eye on Mapfre and to a lesser extent Alvi - Confused? 's

Place your bets!

It's gonna be a long 3-4 days for Dongfeng fans.

See ya on the water

SS

Not sure to have the faith/time to do it before the start.

BTW, you have all the TSS on the Navionics maps.

BTW, you have all the TSS on the Navionics maps.

I would say that is a good answer. It isn't as if you add exclusion zones for the land, so one could reasonably assume most people can read the chart. :rolleyes:

VOR front page is dating their tracker will be live all of leg 9!!!!

Thanks for listening guys! Better late than never!

If it goes crunch something went wrong. ;)

Let's see if I'm bored enough to transcribe the datapoints.

Edit: The format is a pain. I doubt that I'll spend time on it.

Just to clarify I was asking about the Mapfre penalty for modifying their boat.

This is the case they tried to re open. It is known that one of these boats suffered delamination of the forward part of the bottom during pre-race sailing in rough weather. I am interested to know whether Mapfre suffered a similar problem or not. Boat faults in this race to seem to be "hushed up", but the engineers amongst us are interested to know how structures like this are really performing. If Mapfre really suffered damage, in my opinion their action to re-inforce the bottom should not have been penalised. If Mapfre did not suffer damage/delamination to the bottom prior to their modification that would be an alteration to the design as opposed to a repair to damage sustained which could threaten the boat integrity. There is a world of difference.

I guess Mapfre must have been in the wrong though, else why not show some test report to the IJ?

This had nothing to do with the Lorient in port race.

The area that Mapfre 'fixed` was nowhere near the area that SCA had an issue. Brunel had a similar issue sorted in Auckland that was about 2.5 metres forward of the keel.

Mapfre put structure much further forward. More to the point they prepped the materials in Auckland prior to the leg start, and when inspected they had no issue there anyway.

Live coverage of the start:

Looks like not everyone has jumpers for this one.

VOR front page is dating their tracker will be live all of leg 9!!!!

Thanks for listening guys! Better late than never!

Indeed good news. But Volodia's tracker does not receive live data unfortunatly, so no detailed Navionics maps with rocks and TSS's..

Yep, 3D tracker (and app?) only.

Requiring unity -a game engine- is an easy way to cut down your market share in no time.

Not that it is that interesting any longer. Everything TSS is an exclusion zone on this leg. Quite funny after that much Q&A about TSS.

Then there is AIS, not as cool but it works for a quick look. Also a great way to show that the Volvo tracker limitations are 100% artificial.

Does the iPhone app have a tracker? I can't find it if it does, wonderful ergonomics on all their platforms.. haven't seen the tracker on anything yet!

Does the iPhone app have a tracker? I can't find it if it does, wonderful ergonomics on all their platforms.. haven't seen the tracker on anything yet!

Touch the three white bars on the upper right and select it from the drop down list.

Touch the three white bars on the upper right and select it from the drop down list.

Feed

Teams

Route

Ranking

Scoreboard

Live at the extreme tv

notifications

about

share this app

settings

no tracker

Feed

Teams

Route

Ranking

Scoreboard

Tracker <-- on mine

Live at the extreme tv

notifications

about

share this app

settings

no tracker

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

Yes it does, it's the same as on my ipad. Open the VOR app, then you should see screen 1. Click top right on the three horizontal lines for the pull down menu. Select tracker in the middle, et voila Bouwe on fire.

post-49019-0-84922600-1434480525_thumb.jpg

post-49019-0-51847700-1434480539_thumb.jpg

post-49019-0-10697600-1434480594_thumb.jpg

I presume you have the latest iOS and latest version of the app?

Feed

Teams

Route

Ranking

Scoreboard

Tracker <-- on mine

Live at the extreme tv

notifications

about

share this app

settings

no tracker

Hmmm funny peculiar - I'm in Chile right now perhaps it isn't available in this region. Just checked and it's all up to date etc.. Thanks guys

My iPad is ancient and I can't install OS7 on that so that's a non-starter

Feed

Teams

Route

Ranking

Scoreboard

Tracker <-- on mine

Live at the extreme tv

notifications

about

share this app

settings

no tracker

Hmmm funny peculiar - I'm in Chile right now perhaps it isn't available in this region. Just checked and it's all up to date etc.. Thanks guys

My iPad is ancient and I can't install OS7 on that so that's a non-starter

Use www.marinetraffic.com, the coverage will be excellent in the coming days.

So much for the tracker remaining live. Looks like they've reverted to every 3 hours.

So much for the tracker remaining live. Looks like they've reverted to every 3 hours.

Tracker is live for me, the ranking page is 3 hourly the last time I looked.

Which tracker are you looking at? The VE tracker is saying it is live and I see numbers change. How nice it would be to have an actual map on the screen instead of the polygon shapes, but at least I can see in painful detail SCA gain and lose tenths of miles on TVW as they consolidate in 7th place. Officially pisses me off for two reasons. 1 - This is the third start they blew. Unless they had a boat below I cannot fathom why they did not just duck hard instead of trying to run it. 2 - They make great gains round the buoys to get back then before my eyes, in almost real time I watch them get passed by ADOR (now in second) and ALVI, who was last.

I'm still cheering SCA, but man your'e not making it easy.

On a side note, looking at the DTL, ADOR and DFRT just when to over a 100 miles DTL, ALVI over 200. I love this tracker :rolleyes:

Which tracker are you looking at? The VE tracker is saying it is live and I see numbers change. How nice it would be to have an actual map on the screen instead of the polygon shapes, but at least I can see in painful detail SCA gain and lose tenths of miles on TVW as they consolidate in 7th place. Officially pisses me off for two reasons. 1 - This is the third start they blew. Unless they had a boat below I cannot fathom why they did not just duck hard instead of trying to run it. 2 - They make great gains round the buoys to get back then before my eyes, in almost real time I watch them get passed by ADOR (now in second) and ALVI, who was last.

I'm still cheering SCA, but man your'e not making it easy.

On a side note, looking at the DTL, ADOR and DFRT just when to over a 100 miles DTL, ALVI over 200. I love this tracker :rolleyes:

Then... Just for you:

post-20594-0-21400500-1434485976_thumb.jpg

post-20594-0-48387400-1434486003_thumb.jpg

VOR is reporting an incident between a trimaran and a marshall RIB before the start. One person is badly injured. Anyone has details?

here the press release:

Race Statement: On-water injury before Leg 9 depature

We have been informed about an incident on the water involving a trimaran (not related to the Volvo Ocean Race) and a marshal rib from the Lorient stopover close to the starting area for Leg 9 of the Volvo Ocean Race earlier today.

A woman has been seriously injured and is currently receiving treatment at the hospital in Lorient.

We are concerned about her wellbeing and remain in close contact with the Lorient stopover organisation and local authorities. We will give you more information as soon as we have it.

VOR is reporting an incident between a trimaran and a marshall RIB before the start. One person is badly injured. Anyone has details?

here the press release:

Race Statement: On-water injury before Leg 9 depature

We have been informed about an incident on the water involving a trimaran (not related to the Volvo Ocean Race) and a marshal rib from the Lorient stopover close to the starting area for Leg 9 of the Volvo Ocean Race earlier today.

A woman has been seriously injured and is currently receiving treatment at the hospital in Lorient.

We are concerned about her wellbeing and remain in close contact with the Lorient stopover organisation and local authorities. We will give you more information as soon as we have it.

A Trimaran called Spindrift 2...

photo-afp_2403759_660x242.jpg?v=1

http://www.letelegramme.fr/fait-divers/volvo-ocean-race-un-blesse-grave-dans-une-collision-16-06-2015-10669181.php?xtor=EREC-85-%5BPartageTT%5D-20150616-%5Barticle%5D&utm_source=PartageTT&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=PartageTT

The incident must have happened before we arrived at the start. On our way we passed a couple of police boats with blue lights flashing. Something was communicated via VHF. In French, so my understanding was limited.

Bad news indeed. Hope she will get well soon.

EDIT: It happened ~after~ the start? O.k., then the police boats were there for something else...

Spindrift 2 vs RIB.

There are pictures, say Getty Images 477324570

Looking at the tip of the rudder. I certainly hoping that its dirt, otherwise ...not looking good.

Edit: That's not dirt.

Sequence:

Getty Images 477324562

Getty Images 477324570

Edit: (serious) Leg injury on the woman. Could have been much worse.

Edit: One of the news reports says that two more photographers got knocked of the photo security RIB. Conflicting reports as far as details go.

heavy stuff. Injured in both legs...big cut, I guess, after seeing the pic. Let's hope it is not deep...

Really dumb RIB driver.

Driving this close to 40m trimaran...

The RIB was stopped. Spindrift was sailing.

What are you talking about? is this about boat accidents or about the race? I have quite a difference between the VOR-Tracker and marine traffic which seems to not get all the boats every time. They are northwest of Belle-Ile with Brunel first and SCA last, Vor showing no wind while Volo is showing wind right from Northwest. Looks like going upwind all the way to the next mark.

The official tracker still is not live for me... both on their website and the downloaded app. Are you guys still seeing live tracking in those places?

post-26739-0-22055500-1434490394_thumb.png

Mine is getting live data.

Fleet sailed over islands. Vestas style

Look at www.marinetraffic.com

set filter on yachts and everything is ok

It does look like they hit some holes as the boats on the tracker were spinning around. Too bad I can't zoom in closer. They are all within 2 miles between first and last position.

It's live now for me. I guess the pipe got clogged for a little while.

marine traffic has all boats going between 14 and 15 kn heading around 300 degrees

It's live now for me. I guess the pipe got clogged for a little while.

+1

Nasty accident, and someone was not judging speed and distance accurately.

Meanwhile, I've done some weather routing to Scheveningen harbor (or The Hague as its called more conveniently for all non-Dutch speaking people :P ).

Weather routing from TBRU position 21:11 UTC, rest of the fleet within spitting distance. ETA 18th in the late afternoon, BUT OpenCPN routes through the middle of the Channel and TSS. So add another 2 hours and the ETA is early evening UTC and in the evening local time. My guess is that they will stay close to the coast of France (Calais) in order to prevent potential time loss circumventing the TSS.

Input:

• GFS GRIB 12:00 UTC
  • 1 hour timesteps
  • tidal model North Sea

post-49019-0-19515800-1434490974_thumb.jpg

It would be nice to see them split around a TSS. But I suppose they'll stay in a pack.

Fun but most unlikely, there is no going back with the exclusion zones.

Final Podium Place going to be decided between Dongfeng Race Team and Desafio MAPFRE and that damn thing might come down to the Final In-Port Race in Gothenburg.

SCA's little split to the south seems to be paying a bit. Decent speed down there at the moment.

Looking at WIndty, once they round the point they have mainly downwind sailing going up the channel. That might make dealing with the TSS eaiser. Might see some gybes that could help teams pass. Looks like TVW splitting north did not help.

REM, thank you for the shots. So close to the action on a great day for racing.

So, Team SCA have already assumed the 'normal' position. WTF. Why the inconsistency from this team?

SCA must be in different wind already as they have split to the north, or else the pack is letting them split again. The pack is meanwhile headed off west. Either way I hope SCA leap into the lead!

Live Ships showing TVW picked up a place and SCA dropping further back.

Seems something is amiss with SCA, recently they have been able to hold the pace of the pack, but now seem to be dropping back.

Still a bit to go through the Channel, but boatspeed seems lacking ATM.

Alinghi, if Mapfre finish 2 places ahead of DF they gain the podium as they have a much better in port record than DF

Nervy times

SS

Bulk of the fleet at 260-270 degrees right now. SCA at 320. Looks to me like they're on a flyer. It paid last leg. Next 12 hours will be interesting. (This is from current AIS)

what's the story - can the fleet pass inside Ile de Sein and SCA's taken a flyer inside, or are they planning to skirt just to the south?

so - don't know if I have my research correct, but here goes:

• its high tide at Brest at 0617 (ie: now)
  • in an ebb tide flowing South through Raz de Sein until 6hr after high tide at Brest (ie: in 6 hours) when it quickly switches to a northerly flood.

SCA have to be planning to tuck into the coast until slack water / flood tide to pull them through. They'll struggle to get through with the breeze as it is now (although it'll be flat water wind same direction as tide).

They're only a couple of miles away - that's a long time to wait... is it worth it? Seems like a huge gamble.

EDIT: tide is about 5m, flows at 5-6kn ?

SCA skipper is almost a 'local' here, right? Reckon she'd know a thing or two about sailing around here. Fascinating break so early in the leg.

mmm Vestas gone back after a very slow tack north - clearing something?

Forecast is no breeze for the next few hours, too.. (if marine traffic is to be trusted). Could be a leg winner if it pays off, as SCA will be ready for the tidal suck with a shorter distance to sail once the breeze kicks in... but they'd better be hoping it dies pretty damn fast, or it'll all go pear shaped.

SCA playing silly buggers? AIS dropped out 200m off the shore.

EDITED: They're back up, sailing 150m off the coast - out of the tide.

This is an amazingly brave split - good on them.

post-722-0-94196000-1434517237_thumb.png

Hey I thought this leg was going to be different that legs 1-8??? But feels much the same: online tracker still doing 3 hour updates and the pink dot separated from the rest of the fleet!

Is Ile de Sein a mark of the course, left to starboard? Presume deep enough to get through that gap, right? Not familiar - at all - with this part of the world.

As mentioned above, these are Sam's local waters.

May be a winning strategy?

post-30181-0-67760900-1434517867_thumb.jpg

ouch - 7.1 @ 180.

This is painful - 7kn of breeze on the point (observations) - do they have enough grunt to get through the tide?

It'll be very little apparent breeze if there's 5kn of tide!

The nav'll be under a bit of pressure, I reckon.

post-722-0-17032900-1434518876_thumb.png

Caught in the tide maybe?

Anyone know the yacht 'Traunt of Oamaru'?

Maybe a good photo op coming up.

post-30181-0-78238100-1434518886_thumb.jpg

According to the 'watch log' on the volvo site, Ile de Sein seems not to be a mark of the course; they talk of SCA's split from the fleet.

and around they go. diameter is about 1nm.

post-722-0-71171900-1434519683_thumb.png

here's the tide heading right to left (South) now at the point off the webcam: http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1307649280-Weather-Plogoff,-La-Pointe-du-Raz-Pointe-du-Raz

If my eyeball is correct, they need to clear that outer light.

post-722-0-67466400-1434520303_thumb.jpg

no wonder they can't get through.

They've headed back inshore for another stab at it.

post-722-0-94616800-1434520502_thumb.png

SCA gambled - and lost. They just did a full circle. Tide is a ripping 8 kts I read somewhere. Light winds => anchor time!

If they are moving that fast in the tide will the anchor hold?