Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

VOR Leg 9 Lorient to Gothenburg via The Hague

They got closer on the 3rd go, but still pushed back.................

Needless to say, things will be a bit tense on board.

post-30181-0-13672400-1434523562_thumb.jpg

This is pretty nailbiting - why is there not a crowd on that point cheering them on ?

post-722-0-93872000-1434524201_thumb.png

tack out - 2.4 @ 316

Leka - keep posting those screen-grabs, you're the only one that seems to have live access.

Slowly making forward progress..........

post-30181-0-95633500-1434524323_thumb.jpg

There is an old saying (in french) : " Qui voit Sein, voit sa fin" (When you see the Isle of Sein, you're near from your end).

A bit true for SCA.

Yep, out to calmer water by the looks now.

post-30181-0-48374000-1434524781_thumb.jpg

They sure got away once out of the tidal flood around the headland.

post-30181-0-90084100-1434525356_thumb.jpg

They're now off the right hand side of the webcam. Moving along now. Bizarre times!

They're through! 4.6kn @ 356

Fork me.

post-722-0-25355000-1434525392_thumb.png

Alvi (2.4kn) and Vestas (0.8kn) are still stuck at their shortcut - DF is going a bit slow (4.3kn) and Brunel / Mapfre have shot off, but aren't moving fast (~4kn)

post-722-0-90555700-1434525411_thumb.png

Duncan,

Funny that your track picture has the tide running the way SCA wishes it was!!

I think the same drama is going to happen at Ushant (Ile de ouessant). Depends on when you get there. Been there at high tide. The water is running around in circles like on a carussel. We´ve been praying that our motor would bring us through. Really scary.

Take current DLSR with a long lens, add one of those and a LTE / UMTS stick and you could make a bit of profit. Or at least interesting coverage.

Lets see if they managed to get something for the inside track.

Looking at the AIS it seems like SCA is in the back.

Alinghi, if Mapfre finish 2 places ahead of DF they gain the podium as they have a much better in port record than DF

Nervy times

SS

Not really ss.

Overall

Dongfeng Race Team 29 Points

Desafio MAPFRE 31 Points

In-Port Race Series

Desafio MAPFRE 34 Points

Dongfeng Race Team 36 Points

Even in the Event Mapfre ties DFRT in the Overall Standing Donger can get it back by finishing 3 Places ahead of Mapfre in the Final In-Port Race in Gothenburg.

Caught in the tide maybe?

Anyone know the yacht 'Traunt of Oamaru'?

Maybe a good photo op coming up.

7f86e1416130268.jpg

The dutch Open40 "Masai" is really heading for the fleet. Photo-op? Anyone know if they have a homepage?

post-9995-0-36994600-1434528534_thumb.jpg

one of my friends is on a dutch boat which is following the fleet from lisbon to gothenburg. not sure of the name of the yacht though. think it is an ex-volvo

*edit* she's on sanya :)

that's cool pixie. Tell her to wave when she sees a little 6-seater plane come by at very low altitude tomorrow if she wants to be on camera.

that's cool pixie. Tell her to wave when she sees a little 6-seater plane come by at very low altitude tomorrow if she wants to be on camera.

they don't have any web access afaik, but i'm sure she'll be on deck :)

it's a pretty cool programme from what she's told me about it. they have a 60 and a 70, three well known dutch sailors and they run a talent academy for kids as well as the adult programme. only available in NL though :(

it's a pretty cool programme from what she's told me about it. they have a 60 and a 70, three well known dutch sailors and they run a talent academy for kids as well as the adult programme. only available in NL though :(

got a link to it?

got a link to it?

I think it is Hans Bouscholte's company, can't remember what it is called.

Watching the replay of the tracker, SCA almost got past the point 2 or 3 times. A bit more wind and it would have been a good move. But as Charles says: zee girlz, zey ah zo unlockee!

So Alvi passed Mapfre as well, now all heading for Rade du Four, doing 6-7 knots (SCA 9 knots)

Nice pic Terrorvision!

post-9995-0-84485300-1434534386_thumb.jpg

Team SCA overtook AD and Vestas, good sailing, you can see that Sam is a "local". Those suggesting to drop an anchor have clearly never been there! There is more current in the raz de sein but they were more sheltered after.

I am a bit disappointed by DFRT. They are being beaten on their ground!

What a great race for 2nd. Brunel, Alvi, Mapfre and DFRT are 1, 2, 3, 4 right now.

SCA gambled - and lost. They just did a full circle. Tide is a ripping 8 kts I read somewhere. Light winds => anchor time!

Or not.

This is gonna be a drag. Looking at Volo and tomorrow there will be a ridge in the street of dover if they even make it there until 12 tomorrow. I don´t expect anyone going to the english side - not enough wind to spend all these miles.

AIs shows Alvi and Mapf going 115 Degrees heading for the coast. Whazzup?

Now the leading for all are heading southeast :huh:

More wind at the coast?

I mean four

More wind at the coast?

I mean four

North Brittany is mostly about tidal streams. I haven't checked tides, but my guess is that they are sheltering from adverse current. Brunel let them go the coast, they must feel uneasy now.

It is scary enough with 2m draft, with 4m I would be very nervous at the chart table. I hope that no crab will be harmed during this leg!

For those who like navigation, racing there is interesting. I recommend the "tour du finistère" or "tourduf" to experience it.

More wind at the coast?

I mean four

North Brittany is mostly about tidal streams. I haven't checked tides, but my guess is that they are sheltering from adverse current. Brunel let them go the coast, they must feel uneasy now.

It is scary enough with 2m draft, with 4m I would be very nervous at the chart table. I hope that no crab will be harmed during this leg!

For those who like navigation, racing there is interesting. I recommend the "tour du finistère" or "tourduf" to experience it.

With low tide 2h 10mn ago, sneaking in Chenal du Four to get more favourable current on a shorter route ;makes sense;

Wind is a light 9-10 NW (WNW further east on the route) and in sunny days like today a N-E thermical adds up close to the shore

Edit: and ... today is spring tide (91) !

Edit2: within 1/2 hour in front of the office, thks for the head-up I was going to miss that !!

And Brunel lost it by going too far away.

This real time thing is bad for my productivity!

And Brunel lost it by going too far away.

This real time thing is bad for my productivity!

+1

Whattya think? Left or right off Guernsey?

So, back from the beach into the office.

20mn of a great show, sitting in the sun (thank you Panoramix)

Alvi entered first, kind of 4-5mn ahead of Mapfre then 1 and 1.30 behind were Brunel and Dongfeng.

not as close to shore as the Figaros 2 days ago (but those were fighting the tide).

Then I was granted a series of gybes.

Brunel did look a bit a slow and by going the farther inshore the Dong easily overpassed them .

Dong obviously gaining on Alvi and Mapfre by being further inshore and powered (anything to do with Eric Peron's grand-father having founded the village's yacht-club ???)

Kind of 5-8mn later (I had moved and lost my bearing) were the girls slightly ahead of Azzam but on a more powered route IMHO (Figaro memories ?)

Then last was Vestas

Thanks moody frog.

The tide reversal was 2 hours ago and they are just leaving the coast now, do you understand why? Or is it just an impression becaus the official map is so crude?

@ET1

It is all about timing, I would need a paper chart (sorry, I've learnt to navigate in the 90s), a tidal atlas and a guesstimate of their average speed to tell you. In "raz Blanchard" stream will max around 8 knots - if I remember well - so they will go inside only if the current is with them. If they go inside and time it wrong they will be stuck somewhere between Sark and cap de la Hague for a few hours. For brave skippers there are eddies but I don't think that a MOD65 can play this game. Even on a small boat I wouldn't do it, I leave this to figaro sailors.

Thanks moody frog.

The tide reversal was 2 hours ago and they are just leaving the coast now, do you understand why? Or is it just an impression becaus the official map is so crude?

@ET1

It is all about timing, I would need a paper chart (sorry, I've learnt to navigate in the 90s), a tidal atlas and a guesstimate of their average speed to tell you. In "raz Blanchard" stream will max around 8 knots - if I remember well - so they will go inside only if the current is with them. If they go inside and time it wrong they will be stuck somewhere between Sark and cap de la Hague for a few hours. For brave skippers there are eddies but I don't think that a MOD65 can play this game. Even on a small boat I wouldn't do it, I leave this to figaro sailors.

They are 3 hours after low tide right now , so the overall Channel tide is with them, but ... you can get additional effects at the shore specially with that kind of spring tide (e.g my village harbour filling in and mostly Ile de Batz channel filling in)

Marine Traffic is currently very slow to refresh but I can see that Dong staid ashore till Batz ;)

I do agree with you, depending at which state of tide they come into the Channel islands, Grand and Petit Russel and of course Blanchard can be "freight-trains"; but but but they should be there slightly before high tide !

Might be fun ! and the rich might get richer

Imagine the in port race if this leg finishes as:-

Alvamedica 1

Azzam 2

Mapfre 3

SCA 4

Dong Feng 5

Vestas Wind 6

Brunel 7

Of course, I don't wish Brunel to be 7th (Brunel fan as well as Azzam fan) but 4 boats tied for 2nd would be very exciting.

Right now according to the virtual eye, Brunel, Azzam and Vestas are sailing up the Batz channel, a feat worth admiring in boats which draw 4.5m, and SCA is actually flying across the island itself.

From Spindrift 2:

Saint-Philibert, le 17 juin 2015 – Le trimaran Spindrift 2 a été impliqué hier dans un accident au large de Lorient avec un bateau à moteur de l’organisation de la Volvo Ocean Race.

Alors qu’il naviguait sous voilure réduite, le trimaran Spindrift 2 est entré en collision avec le semi-rigide qui croisait sa route.

Une personne qui était à bord du bateau à moteur a été grièvement blessée avant d’être prise en charge par les secours, puis transportée au centre hospitalier du Scorff à Lorient.

Yann Guichard, skipper de Spindrift 2, déclare : « Nous sommes avant tout préoccupés par l’état de santé de la victime. Toutes nos pensées vont vers elle et sa famille. L’équipe est profondément affectée par cet accident et naturellement, nous coopérons pleinement aux investigations en cours. »

http://sailinganarchy.com/2015/06/17/cuts-like-a-knife/

Thanks moody frog.

@ET1

They are 3 hours after low tide right now , so the overall Channel tide is with them, but ... you can get additional effects at the shore specially with that kind of spring tide (e.g my village harbour filling in and mostly Ile de Batz channel filling in)

Marine Traffic is currently very slow to refresh but I can see that Dong staid ashore till Batz ;)

I do agree with you, depending at which state of tide they come into the Channel islands, Grand and Petit Russel and of course Blanchard can be "freight-trains"; but but but they should be there slightly before high tide !

Might be fun ! and the rich might get richer

West of Héaux de Bréhat, I don't know the coast that well and you've just taught me something!

The trimaran Spindrift 2 was involved in an accident yesterday with a motor boat from the Volvo Ocean Race organisation.

While under reduced sail, Spindrift 2 was in collision with the rib which was crossing its path.

A person on board the motor boat was seriously injured. She received attention from the emergency services and was then transported to the Scorff hospital in Lorient.

Yann Guichard, skipper of Spindrift 2, said: « Above all else, we are concerned about the condition of the injured person. All our thoughts go out to her and to her family. The team has been deeply affected by the accident and naturally we are cooperating fully with the investigation that is underway. »

Pinch me Martha, I can't believe my eyes...

Checking in, TBRU dropped to 5th!???

If ADOR slips past TBRU DFRT moves to Second. It is Bouwe's to lose (2nd) and it's not going his way right now.

Loving that SCA has pulled into 4th. Now it would be nice if the boats would stop spinning and jumping 100'd of miles on the VE Tracker. Its fun to watch, but irritating as well.

Marine Traffic says

1 Alvi

2 Mapfre

3 DF

4 Brunel

5 SCA

6 ADOR

7 Vestas

right now (all with positions from 0 to 3 minutes updates)

SCA gambled - and lost. They just did a full circle. Tide is a ripping 8 kts I read somewhere. Light winds => anchor time!

It has been done a lot of years with old boats , anchor and wait the good tide .

It has been done a lot of years with old boats , anchor and wait the good tide .

I did the "tour de France à la voile" twice (when it was on Selection 37), and on a leg from Ouistreham to Perros Guirrec (East to West), we had to use the anchor in the raz Blanchard. I think we reached 7, 8 or even 9 knots at the anchor (forgot exact figure, but the raz Blanchard is the place with the highest tide current in France I think), and when the time came to lift the anchor it was impossible : had to cut the rope.

The boat that won this leg was the one that anchored much in advance and very close to the shore (the place where the change in tide was the earliest) ...

The trimaran Spindrift 2 was involved in an accident yesterday with a motor boat from the Volvo Ocean Race organisation.

While under reduced sail, Spindrift 2 was in collision with the rib which was crossing its path.

A person on board the motor boat was seriously injured. She received attention from the emergency services and was then transported to the Scorff hospital in Lorient.

Yann Guichard, skipper of Spindrift 2, said: « Above all else, we are concerned about the condition of the injured person. All our thoughts go out to her and to her family. The team has been deeply affected by the accident and naturally we are cooperating fully with the investigation that is underway. »

A previous report said the RIB was stationery- looked so from the stills I saw. Serious miscalculation by the RIB driver if they got bottled by the ass-end of a 70'er and they were stationery or banging it into reverse.

A previous report said the RIB was stationery- looked so from the stills I saw. Serious miscalculation by the RIB driver if they got bottled by the ass-end of a 70'er and they were stationery or banging it into reverse.

Being stationary is no excuse unless they were at anchor or "not under command".

I didn't see that report. I saw someone write something like that in the forum, but nothing in any newspaper or statement. Do you remember where you saw it? It appears to me that the RIB was trying to get across the bow, and when they realized how badly they misjudged it, the driver got scared and slammed it into reverse. Of course that is speculation, but I've been on the phone all day piecing this together.

It is very easy to misjudge the speeds of these boats, and when dealing with things like this, or moths, or foiling cats, good teachers will bang it into the head of RIB drivers to NEVER go into reverse, and never cross the bows unless you are 100% sure of both your speed and his speed.

Sure, this could be entirely Guichard and crew's fault. But knowing how inexperienced most of the RIB drivers are at every one of these stopovers (and how experienced the crew of the S2 are), it is highly unlikely. NEVER, NEVER try to cross a fast boat's bow. Never!

I didn't see that report. I saw someone write something like that in the forum, but nothing in any newspaper or statement. Do you remember where you saw it? It appears to me that the RIB was trying to get across the bow, and when they realized how badly they misjudged it, the driver got scared and slammed it into reverse. Of course that is speculation, but I've been on the phone all day piecing this together.

It is very easy to misjudge the speeds of these boats, and when dealing with things like this, or moths, or foiling cats, good teachers will bang it into the head of RIB drivers to NEVER go into reverse, and never cross the bows unless you are 100% sure of both your speed and his speed.

Sure, this could be entirely Guichard and crew's fault. But knowing how inexperienced most of the RIB drivers are at every one of these stopovers (and how experienced the crew of the S2 are), it is highly unlikely. NEVER, NEVER try to cross a fast boat's bow. Never!

Short of engine failure, it's the RIB drivers fault.

I live on Guernsey, just wondering which side everyone thinks they will pass, might head out in a RIB and chase them for a few miles!

Marine Traffic says

1 Alvi

2 Mapfre

3 DF

4 Brunel

5 SCA

6 ADOR

7 Vestas

I had gotten the numbers from VOR's VE Tracker (supposed live). Now I see the Tracker seems minutes behind Marine traffic

...wow,,still at it eh!? ....someone want t'bring me up to date? :mellow::rolleyes:

Kind of like Vestas, coming late to the dance? :mellow:

SCA won a leg, shut some folk up.

Alvi won another in-port

ADOR won the whole thing

DFRT is trying to stay on the podium

TBRU is trying to lose 2nd

MAPF still looks suave

Vestas is showing what happens when you miss practice.

Enjoy the race.

Marine Traffic says

1 Alvi

2 Mapfre

3 DF

4 Brunel

5 SCA

6 ADOR

7 Vestas

I had gotten the numbers from VOR's VE Tracker (supposed live). Now I see the Tracker seems minutes behind Marine traffic

The Virtual Eye tracker was not live for me at that time (when it is it says so at the bottom right, instead of the "next report in " info )

Apparently DF has passed Mapfre now.

Any reason why multiple boats (gybed?) to be further east. I see SCA hanging out pretty much alone and just now TBRU and ADOR again sail east. What's going on?

I see a zone off in the distance, but it looks like the wind may go a little more right with could favor SCA being outside.

From an AFP photographer's point of view, it seems the rib was stationary, Spindrift didn't see it, and the driver panicked, didn't have time to reverse... :(

http://blogs.afp.com/makingof/?post/spindrift-2-lorient-volvo-ocean-race-accident-fauches-par-la-formule-1-des-mers#.VYGtxXv1Rdc

before the crash:

.volvo-race-accident-3_m.jpg

...and after

.volvo-race-accident-4_m.jpg

I live on Guernsey, just wondering which side everyone thinks they will pass, might head out in a RIB and chase them for a few miles!

You should check them on Marine Traffic :

https://www.marinetraffic.com/fr/ais/home/centerx:-3.6/centery:49.1/zoom:12

Tough to say at this point

Yeah got them in Marine Traffic, going to be a late call which way we take the RIB out... Plenty of tide around these waters, could be lining up for a lingshot between the islands, or standing off for clearer breeze.

[...]

There have been various reports yesterday, mostly stock from AFP but also many many variations. Stopped RIB was IIRC one of them, but I can't find it.

I suppose the best source from the SA crowd is @volodia who covered the incident yesterday on twitter.

Another option is asking the AFP photographer, @JSEvrard who also wrote an AFP blog which has the most information so far. You speak French, google translate makes it hard for me but it seems like he says the rib was stopped and the driver in freeze. (flight fright freeze response)

From an AFP photographer's point of view, it seems the rib was stationary, Spindrift didn't see it, and the driver panicked, didn't have time to reverse... :(

http://blogs.afp.com/makingof/?post/spindrift-2-lorient-volvo-ocean-race-accident-fauches-par-la-formule-1-des-mers#.VYGtxXv1Rdc

before the crash:

...and after

And your point is.........?

before the crash:

...and after

It'll definitely take more evidence to know for sure... but the foreground propwash almost indicates that the rib turned to port into Spindrift 2's path. Regardless, its horrific error indeed and I hope she is ok.

In the M32 we saw a skipper take his fast machine and run it right into a buoy. Sometimes a skipper can just miss seeing things on the water.

In this case the boat was not part of the race, I would figure they have an obligation to attempt to not only keep clear of the course, but keep a sharp watch for local traffic. The thing is 130 ft long and based upon this view, was not moving that slowly so the idea that crew and skipper may have had their attention diverted by other spectator boats, maybe watching the VO65s, that on the RIB they were also distracted taking pictures it am hard pressed to throw the RIB driver under the bus so quick...nor the skipper of the tri though if I was driving something that massive in an area with multiple boats moving around in possibly unpredictable ways, I'd not be sailing but be under power, and I might have two dedicated spotters calling traffic. I seriously doubt that thing is maneuverable enough to dodge traffic that fails to miss the elephant in the room.

At the moment it is a tragic accident

(Back to the race, but didn't like to see people trash the RIB driver, because of bias)

I translated it, and took out a few parts that are redundant after teh first piece.

bloody tuesday

AFP photographer Jean-Sebastien Evard had another view of the Spindrift 2 versus Volvo Ocean Race RIB incident, and it differs from that of the Spindrift in several ways; first, that the RIB was stationary (though the prop wash in several pics calls that into question), and second, that the trimaran was under reduced sail (a photo and caption in his original story show a full main and solent). Our thoughts go out to everyone effected by this horrific accident, and most especially to the woman fighting for her life in a hospital. We have little doubt that phone videos and viewer accounts will help pin down the chain of events leading to this one and lay blame where it belongs, but for now, positive thoughts or prayer are in order.

Read the full account in French here.

This is the start of the ninth and final stage of the Volvo Ocean Race, a prestigious sailing race around the world for monohulls. The Spindrift 2 is not among the competitors. But the boat in Lorient as home port, and it is traditional tall ships attend the race starts when they take place at home.

I find myself on a press boats with three other photographers and two pilots. The weather is beautiful, the working conditions are ideal. Before launching out to sea towards Gothenburg, the end point of the race in Sweden, the Volvo Race yachts must carry a small race course near Lorient.

The media boat on which I find myself took position at the limit of the exclusion zone strictly limited by the organizers not to hinder competitors near the starting line. There are always many people on the water on racing days. Several organizer boats are there to prevent boaters and jet skis that swarm around the perimeter to venture into forbidden.

I see the Spindrift 2 going to the starting line. Almost stopped, the boat turns to port and picks up speed. He heads straight for the marshal boats. Immediately, the maneuver seems dangerous. This trimaran is a real Formula 1 of the sea, with great sailing, unheard-of acceleration and tremendous inertia. The helmsman does not have a good view. The Spindrift 2 is like a big ship, difficult to maneuver down the track towards a stopped marshal boat. The boat driver knows that if he advances, his boat will pass under the hull of the trimaran. It seems paralyzed, like us, on board the press boat.

The scene lasts only three or four seconds. The shock is inevitable. I see the RIB occupants jump overboard in panic. Life jackets inflate automatically on contact with water. One of the rudders of the trimaran hits with full force the side of the RIB, making a frightening noise that sounds like “tac”. A woman is launched violently into the water. I am the only photographer on board the press boat to have the reflex to whip my camera into place and take 15 continuous images. Why? I do not know … I have not had time to understand what happened.

Immediately, our skipper rushes to the scene of this rare accident, thirty or forty meters from us. But we will not have to intervene: In seconds, two National Rescue Society boats are already there and take things in hand.

A huge bloodstain slowly spreads in the sea near the RIB. After twenty minutes, a helicopter arrives, hoisting the victim aboard. She looks in very bad shape…

Full google trans here.

(Back to the race, but didn't like to see people trash the RIB driver, because of bias)

I think there will be plenty of fault found all around, and I was perhaps being a bit tasteless and using a possible fatality to drive home a point about the ridiculousness and inherently unsafe behavior I have seen at stopover after stopover and race start after race start. I am sorry for my lack of tact; it just might be the right time to try to change some behavior and attitude to prevent another death at another event.

I've done marshal boat duty at the start of the Route Du Rhum when there are over 3,000 spectator boats trying to get as close as possible to each racing boat. We did it with 5-6 people, all of them ocean racers, in the boat to make sure we saw everything. Marshal boats for the VOR or any leg start should be similarly equipped. Their job is to keep the yahoos from killing anyone or crashing into the race boats, even when the yahoos are at the helm of a 40m long trimaran, and they need to be trained and equipped to do so.

You should check them on Marine Traffic :

https://www.marinetraffic.com/fr/ais/home/centerx:-3.6/centery:49.1/zoom:12

Tough to say at this point

Yeah got them in Marine Traffic, going to be a late call which way we take the RIB out... Plenty of tide around these waters, could be lining up for a lingshot between the islands, or standing off for clearer breeze.

Vesselfinder seems much better than Marine Traffic right now as they approach Guernsey. Will be interesting to see who goes where round there.

The virtual eye is vaguely useful for DTF, but boats rotating at random on my Galaxy, and the joke maps where you have to guess the Channel Islands does rather spoil the fun.

No matter how it happened and who is at fault this is one of those situations where you can only hope that the guys in the SAR boats are not asleep and on top of their game. And preferably nearby.

Incident is supposed to have happened minutes before start, all reports however say it happened at 16h15. No exif data on the pics taht could be used as second source.

1700 start

Hoisted into SAR helicopter at 17h11

Arrival at the hospital 17h16

Not very timely for what from the picture sequence looks like life threatening injuries. (A 10-20cm tall smudge on the rudder, never good.)

This article has a few additional details, the wife of the rib driver took the hit.

Another aspect raised for example by this article is the question if the accident happened within an exclusion zone set by the prefecture. Not the VOR, set by the regional government.

As far as the race goes, Alvi is in front by a mile or two. The tide shuffle will go on for a while.