Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

VOR Leg 9 Lorient to Gothenburg via The Hague

Alvi´s around the corner and Tb has gone over SCA. Still exiting, isn´t it.

Nobody is talking to me (sigh). So I´m going to bed. Hope DF is in the lead tomorrow morning.

ALVI is kickin' the tires right now with a strong lead shown in marinetraffic. I couldn't watch via VE and the spinning boats.

SCA and TBRU are giving me heartburn the way they are shifting positions. Bursts of speed from tide, swirlies? I am curious why the all choose to sail in the wind shadow of Guernsey instead of going outside. Photo Ops? :ph34r:

Now we are all lined up with little for passing lanes other than speed or luck.

Tidal stream is stronger by at least a couple of knots and pushing them.

ALVI is kickin' the tires right now with a strong lead shown in marinetraffic. I couldn't watch via VE and the spinning boats.

SCA and TBRU are giving me heartburn the way they are shifting positions. Bursts of speed from tide, swirlies? I am curious why the all choose to sail in the wind shadow of Guernsey instead of going outside. Photo Ops? :ph34r:

Now we are all lined up with little for passing lanes other than speed or luck.

Tidal stream is stronger by at least a couple of knots and pushing them.

Ah, thank you. That webcam link was astounding

Which side of the traffic separation are they going to pick? I'm guessing on English but is it much further?

So DF currently 2 points in front of TBRU on the leg and 2 points behind on the scoreboard - with AOR in between them...... Interesting dynamic.

Ian doesn't need to cover Bouwe, so will just sail fast. Given Charles dig at Ian in the protest room, the two great outcomes here are ABU overtake DF and give Bouwe 2nd place OA or Bouwe overtakes Ian in a split and takes second place OA.

Mafre realistically also fighting DF not Bouwe, if they come into the mix.

In short Charles can't rely on those around him to cover on his behalf so the fight is twice as difficult.

Personally I'm routing for final OA result of ABU, TBRU, MAP, DF, ALVI, SCA, TVW and can see it playing out now.

Was great tracking the fleet through the Islands on a RIB, leaders had a bit more pressure and were fairly pressed doing around 18/19kts, guys towards the back slightly less. Were all getting a good shove with the tide.

It's starting to look like they might actually choose different sides on that huge TSS zone... unless half the fleet gybes soon to go the other half's way.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Vestas and SCA go South of it while the rest go North. Why not, right?

Weird thing is if Alvi doesn't gybe back soon, then they'll be taking the south side too, which wouldn't make sense if the rest go north...

Unless everyone is going south and we'll see a few gybes from that half soon.

Live tracking is great--watching the surfing battle between DF and MAPF alternating minute by minute between first and second place.

(Back to the race, but didn't like to see people trash the RIB driver, because of bias)

I think there will be plenty of fault found all around, and I was perhaps being a bit tasteless and using a possible fatality to drive home a point about the ridiculousness and inherently unsafe behavior I have seen at stopover after stopover and race start after race start. I am sorry for my lack of tact; it just might be the right time to try to change some behavior and attitude to prevent another death at another event.

I've done marshal boat duty at the start of the Route Du Rhum when there are over 3,000 spectator boats trying to get as close as possible to each racing boat. We did it with 5-6 people, all of them ocean racers, in the boat to make sure we saw everything. Marshal boats for the VOR or any leg start should be similarly equipped. Their job is to keep the yahoos from killing anyone or crashing into the race boats, even when the yahoos are at the helm of a 40m long trimaran, and they need to be trained and equipped to do so.

Please, please, please start another thread about this accident. Here we are talking about the race and not speculating about an accident none has seen.
If you want mindless speculation and blame, just go to the front page:

"This whole thing brings up a much deeper problem that every organizer must now step up and accept; faster sailboats mean support boat drivers MUST BE BETTER TRAINED, and drone operators must be checked out and permitted by each event. There is no way around it, and the longer we wait, the more people will lose their fingers, their toes, their limbs…or worse."

Really.

Let's review:

Spindrift (the fastest ocean tri in the world)chooses to rip through the perimeter of the exclusion zone at high speed, and somehow we have to:

1) Blame the organizer. Why must Knut and VOR "step up and accept" responsibility?

2) Convict the RIB driver, for he MUST BE BETTER TRAINED.

3) Accept that "we" , due to some alleged inaction on our part, will be party when " more people lose their fingers, their toes, their limbs....or worse."

Should the RIB driver anticipate a monster tri going maybe 30 knots in the vicinity of an exclusion zone?

I know very little of the details, but the spin that somehow the RIB driver is the one at fault is laughable. And the spin that they had shortened sail" FFS, they were flying a hull (their wing mast, even with "shortened sail," is pretty powerful).

Common sense would be for the Spindrift people to have kept the boat at the dock and watched from a slow moving RIB.

Did dong, Bru and Map just give up on the North?

Just wondering the same. If so, looks like an expensive change of heart. DF gybed back, so maybe teasing MAPF.

Sailworld.nz always puts together good footage. A lot of onboard action. Worth watching.

Just wondering he same. If so, looks like an expensive change of heart. .
Good call for Alvi then 'cause I was wondering why they didn't cover those three. Hi Steif.

Just wondering he same. If so, looks like an expensive change of heart. .
Good call for Alvi then 'cause I was wondering why they didn't cover those three. Hi Steif.

Guess not.

Sailworld.nz always puts together good footage. A lot of onboard action. Worth watching.

Some nice on-board footage.

Goodmorning,

So we have ourselves a split: DFRT, Mapfre and Brunel taking it outside to battle it out and the rest is playing towards Calais.

Charles seems to have thought this gives more/faster options. Mapfre and Brunel had no options then follow, but I think they rather would have been east... Any thoughts?

Either route doesn't leave much room to manoeuvre between land and TSS for quite a long distance, basically pinned to opposing coasts, unless the Northerly guys can cross back (maybe off Eastbourne?) at approx 90deg safely.. a very interesting split.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like the British side is winning over the French side ATM!!!!!! :ph34r:

I want the Dutch side to win! Go Brunel!

Although to see Alvimedica win would also be very cool as it would not only be great for them, but would also mean that each team that has one around the world has won a leg. But only, only, if Brunel comes 2nd in the leg and overall!

There are bunch of TSSs more before the Hague.

Zoom in (Thanks, Wouter) and watch for pink areas.

Volodia haven't colored all of them to black.

There are bunch of TSSs more before the Hague.

Zoom in (Thanks, Wouter) and watch for pink areas.

Volodia haven't colored all of them to black.

yes - but I'm guessing only TSS Mass Northwest is going to cause any further issues for the Northern boats - and they'll probably run as straight as possible (legal?) down the TSS.

Good morning all,

Volo shows more wind to the south, north of Calais in the afternoon. But it still shows a ridge in the Straight of Dover at noon. so if the southern group will have to tack around Calais in no wind this might be costly.

@Herman: why do you think that there is a problem for the "Northerners" to come back east after the TSS? Volo shows a clear norhwest wind.

And there the tacking starts before Calais while the others are going straight along the walls of Dover Harbour like in the old days Juan Villa and Kostecky on Illbruck

There won't be a TSS problem this leg, virtually all TSS are covered by exclusion zones. (VOR dashboard has them)

Does anybody know if the boats are allowed to sail between TSS Northhinder and TSS Maas Northwest?

The Volvo-Tracker shows a tiny gap between the exclusion zones, but the two seem to be connected on the nav-chart?

Edit: it seems they are allowed to sail through the separation zone between the two TSS

The north is paying at present - so far DF have made up 7 miles of the 19 that Herman suggests they need

The north could work out:

17 nm behind our routing and the last sked has us arriving in The Hague 3 hrs after the England pack. Hoping for more breeze. #InAbuDhabi #…

Gonzalo @volvooceanrace says @DongfengRacing needs great next 2 hours compared to @TeamAlvimedica 4 north to work

CHxUmDuWsAAo79a.png

Alvi just tacked off the French coast. They have already lost something like 15 miles to the Dover group, but the next few hours are going to be really expensive for them sailing at 90 degrees to the shortest route. If the wind stays in the same direction DF-Mapfre-TB should build up a nice buffer.

Does anybody know if the boats are allowed to sail between TSS Northhinder and TSS Maas Northwest?

The Volvo-Tracker shows a tiny gap between the exclusion zones, but the two seem to be connected on the nav-chart?

Edit: it seems they are allowed to sail through the separation zone between the two TSS

I have plotted the TSS's in black using Volodia's tracker. According to the detailed level Navionics text - vessels are allowed to sail through the Maas Centre precautionary areas with caution. For non-commercial vessels, the route to the coast will normally not be going through that precautionary area, but the cross the Maasgeul at the spot indicated by the red circle. And cross at an angle < 5% or face fines up to EUR 8.000. The TSS is radar covered and monitored strictly by the authorities - it is one of the biggest ports in the world. Having read al Dutch papers on that TSS, I think is is not prohibited to cross the Maas precautionay areas. But highly unusual.

source

source2

Thanks Herman (en bedankt ook voor de interessante links)

According to the Volvo-tracker the exclusion zone TSS Maas North West should look more like the green zone below - so in theory they could also sail north of TSS Noordhinder and then south of TSS Maas North West and TSS Maas North in order to have a shorter sail to the outer mark.

Complex complex...

post-9995-0-85672300-1434619890_thumb.jpg

The wind isn't working for me on the VE tracker when it is live ....

But aren't they allowed to cross the TSS zone at a proper angle ?

(let's say at the level of Calais or a bit after, where it is the thinnest)

1. 6 TSS EXCLUSION ZONES

The 17 files named in SI 3 r above are contained in a ZIP file sent to each Skipper and Navigator 15th June 2015. Each file contains the coordinates (virtual marks), which are duplicated in SI 3 (a) for a polygon that forms an exclusion zone. While Racing a Boat shall not enter these zones.

WTF somethings gone wrong out to the right for Oxley (and those that did a bailout and followed them). Certainly blown a 10 mile lead at best but more likely hss now gone right out the back door.

great to have a split, but having DF, Brunel and Mapfre together means that either way, should they arrive before or after the south pack, the podium is pretty much set with Brunel 2nd and DF 3rd. A pity, Mapfre didn't go south. It would have made it more exciting.

WTF somethings gone wrong out to the right for Oxley (and those that did a bailout and followed them). Certainly blown a 10 mile lead at best but more likely hss now gone right out the back door.

TWA sucks on the French side, lead improving for the Dover group every minute. ALVI is going NW atm and not NE. And they need even some more tacks. Two if they are lucky, but probably 4.

.@TeamAlvimedica knew it would be better in the N 1st then pay in the S, but this NNE breeze was not in the forecast

1. 6 TSS EXCLUSION ZONES

The 17 files named in SI 3 r above are contained in a ZIP file sent to each Skipper and Navigator 15th June 2015. Each file contains the coordinates (virtual marks), which are duplicated in SI 3 (a) for a polygon that forms an exclusion zone. While Racing a Boat shall not enter these zones.

Ok thanks, quite clear :)

And is the blue route below possible ? Or do they have to take either the purple or the yellow one ?

post-38962-0-68870200-1434623359_thumb.jpg

(ps : really on a shitty mouse right now ...)

I'm headed to the airport in about 90 minutes to go and buzz the fleet in this little thing as they make their way to Scheveningen. Follow SA on Twitter/Periscope to watch live video of the fleet. Not quite sure what I'm going to do, but it will probably be entertaining. Will check the thread before we take off. www.twitter.com/sailinganarchy.

UPDATE: No consistent 4G in the plane, so it will have to wait until we hit the ground and get somewhere. I'll shoot something interesting.

maxresdefault.jpg

^^ very cool! Enjoy!

Serious boatspeed advantage for the Southern boats at the moment, though Alvi is slowing a bit too.

Funny, you look at the leg before the start and assume it will be somewhat of a drag race and one of the more entertaining splits in the fleet of the entire race happens.

Things looked complicated for the eastern boats two hours ago... Now the turns seem to have changed. It's being a pretty exciting race!

Seaweed problems for Brunel, made them loose the lead. Hopefully now solved. No such thing as a free lunch in this race...

http://www.brunelsailing.net/en_UK/news/view/no-gifts

The boats were sailing close to the French coast in order to avoid the stronger currents in deeper water, but suddenly our boat was going nowhere! You could even feel it. It was as if we were stuck in a slice of birthday cake.

First Alvimedica, then MAPFRE and Dong Feng, followed slightly later by the rest of them. We had dropped from first to seventh place within 45 minutes

This is what I witnessed from the beach, at the time DF overpassed them, they looked stuck ! sails not drawing and dead slow. They were painful to look at..

Should have known that they were crossing a weed harvesting area !

I'm not certain, but I think the DTF calculation in the tracker assumes the boats can point straight at The Hague. If I'm right, then the extra distance that the North group needs to sail to go around the TSS zones isn't accounted for... so the South group is looking even better than the pressure difference advantage.

If pressure difference holds it might save Will's arse

Are they getting sea breeze along the coast?

How long would it last if they where?

I'm headed to the airport in about 90 minutes to go and buzz the fleet in this little thing as they make their way to Scheveningen. Follow SA on Twitter/Periscope to watch live video of the fleet. Not quite sure what I'm going to do, but it will probably be entertaining. Will check the thread before we take off. www.twitter.com/sailinganarchy.

UPDATE: No consistent 4G in the plane, so it will have to wait until we hit the ground and get somewhere. I'll shoot something interesting.

maxresdefault.jpg

Are those the Dutch Alps in the background?

They've all tacked North, It doesn't look very good.

I'm not certain, but I think the DTF calculation in the tracker assumes the boats can point straight at The Hague. If I'm right, then the extra distance that the North group needs to sail to go around the TSS zones isn't accounted for... so the South group is looking even better than the pressure difference advantage.

The English route doesn't look so good when it's not a fetch.

AD and Alvi have reduced DTL 10 miles in the last hour...

Right now, even if the north three pulled in behind ALVI, TBRU would have 2nd locked going into The Hague, DFRT holding onto 3rd. The possibilities have really opened up if those top boats get hung out, but I see little option for ADOR, SCA, and TVW to gain back and mix up the numbers.

Going into the pit stop I see overalls as ADOR, TBRU, DFRT in podium, MAPF, ALVI, SCA, and TVW in that order. If Bouwe sinks behind DFRT then it will be the in-port race to determine 2nd. Not boring at all.

Edit:

Ran some number on my spreadsheet just for fun. In the possibility the north side blows it and the south/east group pulls in to the pit stop in the same over, (ALVI, ADOR, SCA, TVW, then DFRT, MAPF, TBRU) then ALVI would more to fourth in the standings, but no change at the top.

As the north group sails due north ALVI is eating up the DTL.

Could be all playing out for a very tense tie-break in port race.........

Right now, even if the north three pulled in behind ALVI, TBRU would have 2nd locked going into The Hague, DFRT holding onto 3rd. The possibilities have really opened up if those top boats get hung out, but I see little option for ADOR, SCA, and TVW to gain back and mix up the numbers.

Going into the pit stop I see overalls as ADOR, TBRU, DFRT in podium, MAPF, ALVI, SCA, and TVW in that order. If Bouwe sinks behind DFRT then it will be the in-port race to determine 2nd. Not boring at all.

Well, it looks to me ADOR will also beat the North pack, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest do too.

We'll see what the wind does, because it looks better for the north fleet after a few hours, but not much.

Edit:

Ran some number on my spreadsheet just for fun. In the possibility the north side blows it and the south/east group pulls in to the pit stop in the same over, (ALVI, ADOR, SCA, TVW, then DFRT, MAPF, TBRU) then ALVI would more to fourth in the standings, but no change at the top.

As the north group sails due north ALVI is eating up the DTL.

Alvi could actually make it to the podium overall if the whole southern group gets in before the northern group. Even if DF comes in 1st from the N group, they would be on equal points with Alvi, and Alvi is 4 point ahead in the in-port series. This of course assumes that no changes will take place after the pit-stop. Anyway, it would be quite a story.

IT looks like TBRU may have to tack again, they cannot get past the EZ, MAPF maybe, but all three seem "lifted" away from the line, but also lifted away from the finish for the moment. It seems like SCA ADOR and ALVI all have different wind with ALVI being 8 miles off the coast.

it looks like game over for the northern pack, at least against Alvi and ADOR... but we shouldn't forget that there are no points awarded in Den Haag... almost 500 miles still to play for

Seaweed problems for Brunel, made them loose the lead. Hopefully now solved. No such thing as a free lunch in this race...http://www.brunelsailing.net/en_UK/news/view/no-gifts

The boats were sailing close to the French coast in order to avoid the stronger currents in deeper water, but suddenly our boat was going nowhere! You could even feel it. It was as if we were stuck in a slice of birthday cake.

First Alvimedica, then MAPFRE and Dong Feng, followed slightly later by the rest of them. We had dropped from first to seventh place within 45 minutes

This is what I witnessed from the beach, at the time DF overpassed them, they looked stuck ! sails not drawing and dead slow. They were painful to look at..

A weed harvesting area?

it looks like game over for the northern pack, at least against Alvi and ADOR... but we shouldn't forget that there are no points awarded in Den Haag... almost 500 miles still to play for

Why game over?

They're still ahead in terms of DTF and should benefit from a hotter angle no?

Seaweed problems for Brunel, made them loose the lead. Hopefully now solved. No such thing as a free lunch in this race...http://www.brunelsailing.net/en_UK/news/view/no-gifts

A weed harvesting area?

They could not know, but the places they went through have been known for their algae for ages. A number of fishermen harvest the long ones at sea, to sell them to processing factories. Quite a number of them are also pulled out from the bottom by the sea and float by.

Why game over?

+1

Why game over?

+1

hope you are right, but their speed is similar to Alvi, with more distance, it is doubtful that the hotter angle shall make up this gap... but well, we'll find out in 6-8 hours.

A weed harvesting area?

Relax. He's talking about SEAweed.

DF seem to be heading North of the Mass West TSS. I'm wondering why they would want to do that rather than cracking off a little to get some extra speed and join Alvi. Seems high risk - the wind has not behaved according to the forecasts.

Well. Alvi might make it. But anyway, it will be close so nothing is fixed. Still anything can happen in the North Sea

The Pit Stop thing is interesting. First in, first out does not nesseccesarily mean an advantage for the first boat out, tides and wind could vary a lot between the fleet to everybody's (dis)advantage.

Big Question to all: Which Exclusion Zones are correct? Those from the Volo Tracker or those from the Official Tracker? Official Tracker showing a lot more Zones.

Is it Ok for DF and the northern pack to take the blue route below, or would they have to take the yellow part ?

route2.jpg

Volodia tacker does not have all exclusion zones, it's a pain in the butt to transfer each coordinate manually. There are ~18 additional TSS zones covered beyond what voldodia has. Official tracker should have them all and in the right places.

Basically: If it's a TSS, its an exclusion zone.

And DF may or may not have dinged the Dover zone. BUT: As history shows it's to hard to tell with the tracking data we have.

DF were clear of the Dover TSS by some margin, at least according to the Virtual Eye Live thingy. Brunel looks a bit tighter as they are getting headed at the moment.

DF were clear of the Dover TSS by some margin, at least according to the Virtual Eye Live thingy. Brunel looks a bit tighter as they are getting headed at the moment.

The same thing seems to have finally convinced DF to go ESE.

Very exciting. So, if all of the southern boats finish ahead of all of the northern boats, in the same relative order, Alvi gets second overall in the Volvo, no? One can dream...

Seems that the wind is vanishing everywhere. What about current?

Very exciting. So, if all of the southern boats finish ahead of all of the northern boats, in the same relative order, Alvi gets second overall in the Volvo, no? One can dream...

Looking unlikely. Alvi seems to have a good shot still at first (at least to the pit stop), but ADOR and SCA are suddenly sailing slowly due north. Presumably TVW will fall into the same hole soon. Bummer.

Edit: Just as I said that, the North group parked. Who knows... total crapshoot from my desk.

Is it Ok for DF and the northern pack to take the blue route below, or would they have to take the yellow part ?

route2.jpg

They seem to go for the pink route...

Curr Pos Race Pos

ADOR 19 1 4 23

TBRU 27 2 7 34 -11

DFRT 29 3 5 34 0

MAPR 31 4 6 37 -3

ALVI 33 5 1 34 3

SCA 44 6 2 46 -12

TVW 54 7 3 57 -11

Given that scenario, ALVI would be in a three way tie for second with the in-port races being the decider. Wow that would make that race critical.