Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

VOR Leg 9 Lorient to Gothenburg via The Hague

Can someone check on the virual eye tracker if DF hit the exclusion zone? Not the corner but on the straight.

At least most teams will make the pit stop before the restart. ;)

How good must it feel onboard Alvi to get a sched that shows their 3hr average almost double everyone else in the fleet.

That looks better than on volo tracker.

As far as AIS goes the northern group is mostly parked. 1-2kts.

Seaweed problems for Brunel, made them loose the lead. Hopefully now solved. No such thing as a free lunch in this race...http://www.brunelsailing.net/en_UK/news/view/no-gifts

The boats were sailing close to the French coast in order to avoid the stronger currents in deeper water, but suddenly our boat was going nowhere! You could even feel it. It was as if we were stuck in a slice of birthday cake.

First Alvimedica, then MAPFRE and Dong Feng, followed slightly later by the rest of them. We had dropped from first to seventh place within 45 minutes

This is what I witnessed from the beach, at the time DF overpassed them, they looked stuck ! sails not drawing and dead slow. They were painful to look at..

Should have known that they were crossing a weed harvesting area !

A weed harvesting area?

They could not know, but the places they went through have been known for their algae for ages. A number of fishermen harvest the long ones at sea, to sell them to processing factories. Quite a number of them are also pulled out from the bottom by the sea and float by.

Thanks for that.

The Pit Stop thing is interesting. First in, first out does not nesseccesarily mean an advantage for the first boat out, tides and wind could vary a lot between the fleet to everybody's (dis)advantage.

If there's a big split and odd wind (none) at the restart, I wonder anybody would wait and cover? Rather than risk having one of the others sail round them.

Can someone check on the virual eye tracker if DF hit the exclusion zone? Not the corner but on the straight.

At least most teams will make the pit stop before the restart. ;)

Edit: Pascal is not stupid ;)

Fool me once and all :)

TSS zone game . This time the winner is ........................Brunel

click to enlarge

ed5a83416524335.jpg

Are you sure? On my screen they are fine.

2 minuts ago , no change . They crossthrough the angle

5ca630416533757.jpg

This is gonna be a long night. Shit! I hoped for once I could be awake when they finish.

click to enlarge

ed5a83416524335.jpg

5ca630416533757.jpg

Good Lord guys, we all know that the VOR tracker doesn’t show these points exactly. Wait and see. Don´t speculate.

I favor the yellow and black boat but I sure do respect the resilience shown by DFRT. They well manage to stay ahead of the northern bunch with good boatspeed.

I think they all learned the lesson in the newport-lisbon leg, and am pretty sure they stayed outside.

click to enlarge

ed5a83416524335.jpg

5ca630416533757.jpg

Good Lord guys, we all know that the VOR tracker doesn’t show these points exactly. Wait and see. Don´t speculate.

Besides, there isn't another boat around to yell about it ;) I agree, much adue about nothing unless RC wants to dig into it.

Looks as though wind speed more evenly spread. Alvi have got the jump, particularly as wind direction off the coast to the south favours port gybe so northerners will have to continue south on starboard for a while yet so they gybe to port as breeze goes left behind them.

To me it seems thatTBR consistently has less wind as Mapfre and TDF, but has similar speeds.. something wrong with their windspeed data or???

Looks as though wind speed more evenly spread. Alvi have got the jump, particularly as wind direction off the coast to the south favours port gybe so northerners will have to continue south on starboard for a while yet so they gybe to port as breeze goes left behind them.

Yep, wind looks much the same , I was fooled by a blip methinks.

Edit: The tracker being live would have been brilliant if it had of been on for the previous legs . You missed an opportunity there Volvo.

I wish they published apparent wind angle as well as true for lazy types like me. I am always interested how much apparent wind they generate with the various sail configurations and wind speed.

When is DF gonna gybe?

They'll be wanting to cover ADOR, I'd imagine.

Here they go.

Think they will have to gybe again back south

Looking at Volo the more you get Northeast the more wind you get. Already showing DF 8 to 9kns Abu 5 to 6 Alvi 12

So it´s better to go northeast as soon as you can. That´s just what they did.

ADOR will be in a massive hole when they arrive at the "The Hague Pit-Stop". They could be 40+ nm away from Alvimedica once the arrive which rougly could translate into over 4 Hours Stoppage Time on Saturday. Given that Alvi will leave at Noon by the time ADOR can start there might be no wind.

Good night. Df Mapf and brunel will make it in front of Abu

ADOR will be in a massive hole when they arrive at the "The Hague Pit-Stop". They could be 40+ nm away from Alvimedica once the arrive which rougly could translate into over 4 Hours Stoppage Time on Saturday. Given that Alvi will leave at Noon by the time ADOR can start there might be no wind.

I'm a bit confused about the pitstop. I watched a video with SCA where Libby Greenhalgh said that regardless of when the boats arrived, the fleet would leave together at noon on Saturday. I guess the idea being that the boats get 'up to 24 hours' as a pitstop but not necessarily 24 hours.

or is it that they all get their individual 24 hours pitstop?

like I say, I'm a bit confused :wacko:

I'm a bit confused about the pitstop. I watched a video with SCA where Libby Greenhalgh said that regardless of when the boats arrived, the fleet would leave together at noon on Saturday. I guess the idea being that the boats get 'up to 24 hours' as a pitstop but not necessarily 24 hours.

or is it that they all get their individual 24 hours pitstop?

like I say, I'm a bit confused :wacko:

From the website:

For this pit-stop, the boat that crosses the line first into the port will resume racing at 12:00 local time on June 20. The finishing delta (time) between the boats will be the same amount of time that the boats will resume racing behind the leader.

The boats get timed as they arrive.

First boat leaves at noon on Saturday.

Next boat leaves with the same time difference it arrived in. And so on and so forth.

ahh ok. so they all get 24 hours for a pitstop. that kind of makes sense and kind of doesn't, as split fleet starts mean you won't know what position everyone is in until they finish. I've been in this situation before, where we were announced as third, then another boat still out on the race track beat our elapsed time by 20 minutes. gutted......

and yeah, variable weather conditions aren't great.

ahh ok. so they all get 24 hours for a pitstop. that kind of makes sense and kind of doesn't, as split fleet starts mean you won't know what position everyone is in until they finish. I've been in this situation before, where we were announced as third, then another boat still out on the race track beat our elapsed time by 20 minutes. gutted......

and yeah, variable weather conditions aren't great.

No no no. They depart with the same deltas as they arrive.....so they basically restart in same time order apart. The order they finish in Sweden is the final lag placings.

The only variable is that one may restart in different weather. For example if ALVI finishes in light weather it may be hours before DF makes up that 16 mile lead.

Then on restart IF IT WAS heavy running, then ALVI would have heavy running for those same number of hours. But it can work both ways. I haven't looked at the restart forecast.

click to enlarge

ed5a83416524335.jpg

5ca630416533757.jpg

Besides, there isn't another boat around to yell about it ;) I agree, much adue about nothing unless RC wants to dig into it.

Tracker issue

• photo.jpg
    Volvo Ocean Race
    @stief, the watch producer checked with RC - they are not aware of any TSS infringements, and it is indeed a scaling issue with the tracker.

Alvi first into the Hague? If so, what a call by Oxley.

I just realized they have live coverage of the gate on VOR's site. I'm not sure because I just turned it on, but I think Alvi has finished.

Nice work, Team Alvimedica. A 26nm lead should be pretty handy.

Alvi really benefited from FIFO -- their lead would probably be the same had they gone north into the building pressure.

Alvi's over....best nav spectacle seen so far. Hats off to Oxley.

+1

Congrats Alvi!

• Yeah Alvi & Oxmeister & the Americans

My tracker isn't working on this computer. What do we figure Alvi's margin is until the next boat arrives?

Anybody have a forecast for wind / current for the restart?

My tracker isn't working on this computer. What do we figure Alvi's margin is until the next boat arrives?

Anybody have a forecast for wind / current for the restart?

VOR weatherman won't commit to an ETA in Gothenburg--forecast is too uncertain, but likely light winds.

Current delta between DFRT and Alvi likely to be ~2 hours

ALVI finish time 23:34:01 UTC

It would be good for the race if Alvi hang on to the lead to the Gothenburg finish

My tracker is not live but was earlier today. Anyone know if this is a cookie issue or browser related or did they switch back to 3 hour updates?

My tracker is not live but was earlier today. Anyone know if this is a cookie issue or browser related or did they switch back to 3 hour updates?

The IOS and the desktop app are both still live here. Quitting and restarting often gets it back up after it freezes though.

DF doing 18 knots and 7.5 miles to the finish

Live Hague arrivals on YouTube. Dongfeng coming in soon.

Coming in hot too.

Live Hague arrivals on YouTube. Dongfeng coming in soon.

Coming in hot too.

And TVW chose a high lane with better pressure than ADOR. Might be interesting

ADOR back in the breeze; TVW shaved off a mile, but ADOR looking safe now.

Just as well the weather forecast for re-start is for light/variable winds. A 1:46 delta would be a hell of a time advantage in a blow.

Is the second half of this leg a straight shot to Gothenberg?

Is the second half of this leg a straight shot to Gothenberg?

Other than the TSS zones, yes.

MAPF finish 01:54:18 UTC

2:20:17 delta for the restart

Iker was being a bit bullish in saying he was happy with their position in comparison to Avlimedica...

Mex

Iker was being a bit bullish in saying he was happy with their position in comparison to Avlimedica...

Mex

And another good one from the dock.

Iker: "What is hard is exclusion zones and penalties; sailing is great."

Well played.

So second place between DF and Brunel will probably be determined by the in port in Gothenburg, but requires DF 1st and TBRU last, highly unlikely.

And if MAPFRE pass DF in the second part of this leg, to be third DF will need to be ahead of MF in the in port with at least two boats in between ...

So, who will go which way around the various TSSs - I guess it is the option to thread your way through, but the navigators are going to have a busy pit stop as the weather picture develops!

post-22759-0-61975500-1434696182_thumb.jpg

Offsets for restart:

Alvi 0

DF 1:46:29

MAP 2:20:17

Brunel 2:37:46

ADOR 3:53:43

TVW 4:04:17

SCA 4:32:36

The barges are a slight update over the 1960s version.

While we are still in pauze mode. I think that vid is very well shot and edited especially for being from 1966 (are you pating attention VOR?). But then again, it is from one of the best film makers The Netherlands ever had.

Lots of sail boats are coming over to the start. I will drive by car in an hour to Scheveningen with the family

Have fun, and thanks for the pics and updates.

I think they have this pit stop thing wrong. Firstly, the restart is a bore….just boats leaving the dock, and heading out to sea,,,,but more importantly it's unfair to the competitors as the clock is ticking for those on the course(first to start) while it isn't for those waiting for their start time. If Alvimedica starts in no wind, but the wind picks up in 2 hours, their hard earned lead evaporates. The reverse is true in that a windy start, followed by a lull 2 hours later lets the leaders race while the later starters can't compete. I think the leg, however short(and there's nothing wrong with some short legs…they're quite compelling) should end with points awarded, and the next leg begins. You could have full blown legs with the 2 weeks in between, fanfare in port race etc., and have shorter "mini" legs with just a day or two in between and no in port race. You could even award different points for longer/shorter legs, although I don't think that's necessary

Imagine if points were awarded for this leg(Lorient to the Hague)….Alvimedica would be closer to the group in points vying for a podium spot and the finish in Gothenburgh more exciting.

Interesting that the teams get the tracker info up to their prep signal. Might be a benefit to SCA to see which route the leaders choose.

I think they have this pit stop thing wrong. Firstly, the restart is a bore….just boats leaving the dock, and heading out to sea,,,,but more importantly it's unfair to the competitors as the clock is ticking for those on the course(first to start) while it isn't for those waiting for their start time. If Alvimedica starts in no wind, but the wind picks up in 2 hours, their hard earned lead evaporates. The reverse is true in that a windy start, followed by a lull 2 hours later lets the leaders race while the later starters can't compete. I think the leg, however short(and there's nothing wrong with some short legs…they're quite compelling) should end with points awarded, and the next leg begins. You could have full blown legs with the 2 weeks in between, fanfare in port race etc., and have shorter "mini" legs with just a day or two in between and no in port race. You could even award different points for longer/shorter legs, although I don't think that's necessary

Imagine if points were awarded for this leg(Lorient to the Hague)….Alvimedica would be closer to the group in points vying for a podium spot and the finish in Gothenburgh more exciting.

+1

Looks like the DTF on the tracker is once again straight line, not accounting for the TSS zones, so everyone's going to look closer to the leader than they really are until they've all turned the corner of that big TSS zone.

Did Alvimedica sail through the TSS Zone? Interesting Strategy on Mapfre hugging the Netherlandish Coastline.

The race just got more interesting. MAPF trying hero/zero move, and Mark Turner is tweeting

1. This just in! Looks like @desafioMAPFRE is taking the inshore option! Will anyone go with them? #VOR

CH8m-tOWIAEsbMr.png
  1. 0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet
    Favorite
    More
  2. It’s a shit or bust move @desafioMAPFRE as if beach route works, they just need @brunelsailing to catch us- as @brunelsailing will follow us

To CAN44...100% agree. The stop detraacts from the race and even two short legs with a restart, no in-port would be better than this mess.

As to the takeoff, MAPF doubles down and makes the hard right along the coast. What do they see or is it just a case of why follow, TBRU follows DFRT (of course), but what will SCA do? I'm thinking they follow MAPF jsut to see if it works. At this point I don't case much for the finish, the numbers are pretty much set and short of boats sailing into holes, those leading out should not give up position.

EDIT: I'll leave my original statement, but now MAPF went back...so a freight train to Gothenburg seems to be in store. That's what I get for commenting and not watching

fascinating that it took VOR TV/APP 8 months to come up with onboard video...and it's 240 x 180 from iphone lashed to the antenna/dish farm.

Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 4.12.20 PM.png

4b2c6f416919647.jpg

acde4f416919653.jpg

Bad as the tracker's DTL is in the open ocean, it's ten time worse right now. And of course, it determines the list of who is ahead of whom.

Bad as the tracker's DTL is in the open ocean, it's ten time worse right now. And of course, it determines the list of who is ahead of whom.

Better a Live Tracker than nothing or only 3-Hour Updates, no?

What's Dongfeng doing?

They've taken an option for sure, serious bet

What's Dongfeng doing?

They've taken an option for sure, serious bet

What's the latest, is Alvi still looking good? They were headed northwest last chance I got to look, apparently intending to go all the way north of the TSS's.

Some pictures I took today at the stopover below. Even had my first encounter with a sailing Anarchist in the flesh, teamed up with Rennmaus. Btw, as I recall correctly, the stopover is created by VOR for Brunel. I'm not sure that is a budget thing or not, or invented by VOR because the time from Lorient to Scheveningen and Gothenburg was too short anyway for a race village, despite they have two.

Anyway, I enjoyed my first VOR stopover with the family. Lots of crowds. I counted 50-something boats in the wake of TBRU. Saw DFRT, MAFP and TBRU sailor parades. Just too many people for high-5s

Shots:

1. Sailor parade MAPRE

2. Sailor parade TBRU Bowman Gerd-Jan Poortman with his kid. Bouwe with the green cap chatting up with the jumper, Floortje Dessing (local TV-star in travel programs - still wondering why her)

3. Royal Dutch Navy present with ship

4. For the kids a superficial lake with Optimists

Thanks for the pix. Yep, it was cool meeting you, although short.

Scheveningen really deserves to get a proper stopover the next time. Overcrowded press conference, and the village... wow, those were crowds!

post-20594-0-73284400-1434832997_thumb.jpg

post-20594-0-14991700-1434832985_thumb.jpg

post-20594-0-29166300-1434832988_thumb.jpg