Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DtM

VOR Leg 9 Lorient to Gothenburg via The Hague

Australia is to VOR like Tibet is to mountain climbing....both are in the business of providing the Sherpas. It is next to impossible to get anyone to stump up for a boat unless they get the payback of a stopover. Maybe a pitstop on east coast of Australia next best thing.

Apart from that Sherpas are from Nepal

Just to be clear: the skutsjes (longer around 20 meters) were barges; the lemsteraken were traditionally used for fishing, not for freight and, thus, should not be called barges. The modern aken are mostly build as a "yacht" version, meaning there is more inside space, although some are still build in the traditional "visserman" version, with no cabin.

The skutsjes are indeed barges, but today used as racing boats. with a long water line, high quality sails and well-trained crews they outcompete many modern yachts.

Back to sailing: it seems Alvimedica made a bit of an unnecessary detour by going left of the last exclusion zone. DF, Mapfre and Brunel are in better breeze and catching up. The blue and pink boat decided to make a bet (and really what do they have to lose) but that does not play out very well so far.

Australia is to VOR like Tibet is to mountain climbing....both are in the business of providing the Sherpas. It is next to impossible to get anyone to stump up for a boat unless they get the payback of a stopover. Maybe a pitstop on east coast of Australia next best thing.

Agree about the Sherpa thing.

Not sure why we haven't seen more Australian entries. Over the history of the race (Whitbread + VOR combined) there has been two only - Team News Corp 2001-2002 and Brunel 2005-2006, IIRC.

I'd say the countries with the greatest involvement have been the NED, SWE and NZL. I'd love to see AUS represented more.

Ooops....my apologies to Nepalese sailors. Will Oxley is certainly one to back his own judgement, Alvi's trip around the outside is certainly rewarding them with extra pressure.

The lack of an Oz boat does get annoying. I suspect the inability to get a major sponsor interested is the biggest problem. It seems that here in Oz the general understanding of ocean racing is that come December 26, you watch the annual Rolex WOXI race to the heads. After that, it gets a bit thin. Our banks mostly don't do much international trade (although the ANZ might be a good prospect given they are now trying a push into Asia) and after that, international brands are Fosters and Qantas. I'm sure they are sick of every man and his dog asking for money for something. News Limited is no longer Australian. Our other large international trading businesses don't even do much B2B - digging stuff out of the ground is a commodity market. Not much schmoozing needed to sell dirt. So we are probably left with tourism.

No doubt we have the talent to put together a potential race winning team of aussie sailors. Although some of the usual names are getting close to the age where they will be hanging up the wet weather gear. It would be great to have a team of old salts and new blood, and try to get a new generation rolling. Probably doable, and this latest race is something of a revelation about what the racing is about. A new package, with improved media, could be made pretty tasty.

If the prime sponsors are for the most part about B2B the success of the race village probably matters less than the ability to target a select few with a high end invitation only event. So make the stop over in Hamilton Island. Book the entire resort out for sponsors and clients. Then the next leg is Hamilton Island to Auckland. Which is an ocean leg of defensible length.

Is there any major international sports team with a big Aussie title sponsor?

Olympics are far cheaper and seem to deliver good returns for aussie sailing.

maybe it's the tall poppy thing.

Agree that with that level of public interest, support and race heritage, the Netherlands should host a full stop-over.

Our national Rugby Union team, the Wallabies is sponsored by Qantas.

Our national Rugby League team, the Kangaroos is sponsored by Holden.

Our national Soccer team the Socceroos, dont appear to have an overall sponsor, but has 13 "Official Partners", 7 of which are Australian.

Maybe if Bob Oatley is out of the A.C. stuff, he could charter a V.O. 65 for his sailing team??

Olympic Sports have limited exposure for sponsors, there are too many restrictions on signage/logos during the Games.

Sometimes I think nine legs is somewhat too long for DFRT. The magic didn't quite happen for Charles and his crew after the mast breakage. It shows on their faces.

In this vid Charles explains the light wind and close finish ahead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzF7D6k6UA&feature=youtu.be

The opposite can maybe be said about SCA, they could use a few more legs to harvest on what have learned during this race.

Quite a bit of media coming from DF, looks like they also make the OBR sleep after the finish. :D

Hi Herman

For grinded say ground - funny the English language - maybe Dutch is too but being an ignorant Englishman how would I know!

Long hard night ahead for the sailors - alright for me in my armchair.......

Not to belabour the point, but Alvimedica lost most of that lead by starting in light wind while the others weren't racing…….still in a nice controlling position, though; light winds at the finish would certainly change that.

<Much like 1642, when they all went down to wave off, Abel Tasman I guess.>. :unsure:

'cept Tasman departed Timor, not Hague, (presume you're referring to his more noteworthy voyage

DF and TBR both gybed away from the coast.. what do they see that we cannot?..

Mapfre is benefiting fully so far by continuing their course

Just clicking around on marinetraffic, I see that the VOR fleet is sailing by a couple of tall ships. The ORP Iskra, which belongs to the Polish navy and is bound for Belfast, and the SV Gunilla, a Swedish sail training ship bound for Gothenburg.

Sailing Vessel ORP ISKRA is one of a few Polish Navy training ships. The Main purpose of the ship is to train cadets from Polish Naval Academy during their practices.

T/S Gunilla is a 50-meter-long three-mast barque, with a total sail area of 1,000m². It holds a professional crew of 11 and 44 trainees/pupils. Onboard the pupils work in three different watches, taking care of all those duties that need to be taken care of on a ship of this size.

I hope one of the OBRs gets an image of the another VO 65 cruising past a tall ship, that would be cool to see.

Alvi did a nice job on some major shifts. Good to have live tracker.

looking at Windity they will get aright shift and about 20 ins which would help the way up to Skagen but then it´s gonna become a beat to Gothenburg. Everything still possible

Is Alvi still holding their lead?

Yes, by about 7 miles

And looking at Volo I don´t understand why they are tacking near the coast while further out should be more wind and from 90 degrees while the course should be around 45.

ALVI is still being ground down, now 5 nm to DFRT. DFRT, TBRU and ALVI within 0.5 nm.

Yes, looks like Alvi is a bit off the pace, but they have a mile and a half or so of weather gauge on DF, who is listed second 4.8 miles behind. I think the tracker is "As the crow flies" to the next waypoint.

Our national Rugby Union team, the Wallabies is sponsored by Qantas.

Our national Rugby League team, the Kangaroos is sponsored by Holden.

Our national Soccer team the Socceroos, dont appear to have an overall sponsor, but has 13 "Official Partners", 7 of which are Australian.

Maybe if Bob Oatley is out of the A.C. stuff, he could charter a V.O. 65 for his sailing team??

Women's soccer team the Matilda's sponsored by Westfield an international shopping centre crowd. Just beat Brazil overnight to advance in World Cup. Not to many countries of 23 million support 4 football codes, 3 which are international and world champions in 2. Sailing has to deal with a lot ot competition for small pool of international marketing dollars.

Olympic financial model largely taxpayer funded and rewards those that suceed hence sailing, cyclying, swimming etc get the bucks so tend to stay on top.

2 Australian Navs having a good time battling each other this leg.

And looking at Volo I don´t understand why they are tacking near the coast while further out should be more wind and from 90 degrees while the course should be around 45.

No wind further out. We flew over them and saw it clear as day. Video uploading.

Great chopper images coming in live on VOR web site.

Where is the actual finish line?

Where is the actual finish line?

Way up the estuary apparently.

Yeah, as I've understood it, the finish will be just of the race village at Frihamnen, but I'm not 100% confident of that. I'll make my way down there in a few hours to find out for sure.

Oh, and if there's any anarchists planning to go out with a boat to watch the finish , and could fit one more sailor, I wouldn't mind tagging along :-)

Hoi Herman, Leuk die skutsje en Stem v/h Water; ik was daar ook in 1966 met Heerenveen en dorp Grouw!

doei,Maarten

Trubadoren is the name of my hotel. We are gpoing to pick up Jen Edney and Petey Crawford at the airport, then straight to the RIB.

Live from Genny and team here:

We'll have stuff going out on Facebook.com/sailinganarchy from right next to the boats.

I don't think it is anything to do with Vestas. Just a coincidence. Vestas is certainly not in that position relative to the other boats

Herman, Er zijn heel weinig skûtsjes in Nieuw Zeeland waar ik al een lange tijd woon! En bedankt voor de routing info. Groet Maarten

Big wind holes up the river. Hopefully Team Alvimedica can get there before a sea breeze comes through.

Live commentator confused about Alvimedica's DTF and lead. How can it be, after 9 months in the job?

I wish the male commentator at the race village knew what he was looking at re the graphic on dtf - he thinks the 10 next to Alvi is their lead...it's not it's their dtf. He's made the same mistake twice in last 20 mins.

Edit: This guy is an idiot saying he thinks Mapfre realised Brunel went around the lighthouse so they had to drastically change their direction. FFS it's a mark of the course, they were sailing below it, tack before the port layline then tacked back on to starboard to get around the mark. You sir are my "Idiot of the Day"

Did the live show stop.. Genny saying thank you and goodbye???... so no images of the arrival?

Ita289, yeah, that is ridiculous, hopefully someone will tell him soon.. I'm down at the village now, but haven't seen the commentators yet:-P

Lot's of people here though, soon time to take up a spot at the pier were the line is :)

Live show for the arrival is this one:

Alvi in safe first

Brunel in almost safe second

DF (looks like wrong side of mark, took time to notice)

MAPFRE (looks like wrong side of mark, took even more time to notice)

ADOR

Vestas

SCA

holy shite...... it will come down to who can drift over the line the quickest. :mellow:

RA2AK got it right, add human propulsion.

With all the exciting drifting contests that should make the VOR much faster.

ALVI is kickin' the tires right now with a strong lead shown in marinetraffic. I couldn't watch via VE and the spinning boats.

SCA and TBRU are giving me heartburn the way they are shifting positions. Bursts of speed from tide, swirlies? I am curious why the all choose to sail in the wind shadow of Guernsey instead of going outside. Photo Ops? :ph34r:

Now we are all lined up with little for passing lanes other than speed or luck.

Tidal stream is stronger by at least a couple of knots and pushing them.

According to my Tidesplanner app, currents are strongest on the outside (4 kts) of Alderney, and half as strong (2 kts) inside at 2300.

I was away, but between alderney and pointe de la Hague, there is no arrows on your screen grab whereas the stream is really strong there.

Whoops. Oxley missed a mark. Jeebus.

Live show for the arrival is this one:

Alvi in safe first

Brunel in almost safe second

DF (looks like wrong side of mark, took time to notice)

MAPFRE (looks like wrong side of mark, took even more time to notice)

ADOR

Vestas

SCA

Will Oxley is making sure it is close by missing a mark on the course!!

Or maybe more like they were sailing for pressure and once they got that pressure and moving the boat they made the gybe towards the mark. In light pressure I was taught the mantra is "keep the boat moving even if it's taking you away from the mark somewhat" At the end of the day moving at 3 knots at 90 degrees to your path is quicker than moving at 1knot directly at the mark. It's all about VMG.

.....Oxley missed a waypoint, ALVI had to tack back!

No they haven't. Don't listen to the male talking head...he is a complete Muppet. Oxley just made a great call to keep Alvi going.

Finish line will be at Älvsborg Gate, the first finish line. Or "start line" as the male muppet just said.

That means Alvi has this.

And now said muppet idiot doesn't know the difference between a gybe & a tack. Thankfully Dee was there to call him up on it!

Congratulations, Team Alvimedica.

Why are we not seeing the fight for second???

Mapfre just passed Dongfeng. Mapfre fighting for 4th overall by taking 3rd in this race. Amazing stuff.

What did iker said in his interview ?

Saw something about him dissing the boat in the YouTube chat

I only heard like 5 seconds, he said he wanted simpler rules, he is definitely not happy with the penalties they got...

I only heard like 5 seconds, he said he wanted simpler rules, he is definitely not happy with the penalties they got...

He was upset with the penalties and put a lot of their mistakes down to Volvo organizers.

He didn't really like the boat- said it was slow and thought the 70s were 'machines'

Thanks for the info

(I guess maybe possible to rewind the live)

4th place for Alvi will only be secured after Saturday's inport race

At this stage they are 2 points ahead of the Spaniards

Good comments from Sam about the race. Sounds like she'll be back.

And now Clean can get those questions to the VOR: about the hopes for tracker improvements, live tracking, rules clarity, and who will be in for the next round.

Anyone have questions for skippers? Press conf now

Would an extended satellite AIS bubble (no 8 mile VHF limit) be better?

Are sponsors happy and now eager to continue?

Would a crew weight total limit be better than a gender limit?

Has Iker given up on the VOR politics?

How will the teams better manage their contacts with the fan(atics) in the future? Mark Turner style with Twitter and Periscope and openness?

What would be the easiest boat improvement? Better reaching struts, sail choice, or . . . ?

Will see if I can squeeze some in

Link to the presser? Periscope?

Not a question for the presser, too much of a cheap shot, but perhaps something to investigate later.

Why do the last two TVW arrivals remind me of SoH?

Not that there is anything wrong with having your family waiting but IIRC (I did not check) the arrival in CT had much more people waiting for TVW on the dock.

To me it seems like the level of commitment dropped out of the campaign.

He was upset with the penalties and put a lot of their mistakes down to Volvo organizers.

He didn't really like the boat- said it was slow and thought the 70s were 'machines'

Iker, censured?

Clean, as you probably have guessed, the hotel is named after the lighthouse ;-) I should know, me and my boss designed the hotel :-)

Well, we love it!

shiould be online soon. I asked about four questions I think, including one of yours.

Slow! Perhaps the 65s are slower than the 70s, but, frankly, to my ear it makes him sound like a spoiled brat. "Daddy didn't buy me the toy I wanted."

Slow! Perhaps the 65s are slower than the 70s, but, frankly, to my ear it makes him sound like a spoiled brat. "Daddy didn't buy me the toy I wanted."

So he's not allowed to give his honest opinion? He clearly liked the 70s better and so do a lot of us. (my personal opinion is that the OD concept was a good one but it should have OD VO70s)

His comments with regards to the protest/points penalties sound more to me like that than did the comments regards to the boat. You are the one that made the mistake, so don't get bad at the OA cause you got busted.

shiould be online soon. I asked about four questions I think, including one of yours.

VOR vs. getting a presser available online. - Right after they fix the tracker. ;)

I even looked on their media server.

Man, I thought the VOR tracker was bad. I was so wrong. You can't find your own ass with a map, headlamp and both hands on that server... - And they pay money for that!

Unless it's really well hidden you can't even do simple stuff, like searching with date limits. Or a date. Yuck!

I'd say the countries with the greatest involvement have been the NED, SWE and NZL. I'd love to see AUS represented more.

Would you? Forgotten that GBR started it all?

As for this race, 10 crew each from AUS, GBR and FRA, 9 from USA, 8 from ESP, based on http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/presszone/en/36_The-race-by-countries.html.

Antigua 1

Argentina 1

Australia 10

Belgium 1

China 6

Denmark 4

France 10

Ireland 3

Italy 1

Lithuania 1

New Zealand 6

Spain 8

Sweden 2

Switzerland 2

Netherlands 4

UAE 1

UK 10

USA 9

think Sailbydate was referring to boats not individual crew members...GBR might have started it (WB) but interest in boat entry through to today has been sustained by other countries not GBR.

think Sailbydate was referring to boats not individual crew members...GBR might have started it (WB) but interest in boat entry through to today has been sustained by other countries not GBR.

That's correct thanks, Jack. Sailers, not sailors.

Race winners:

NED x 3 ('78, '82 and 2006)

SWE x 2 ('98 and 2009)

NZL x 2 ('90 and '94)

FRA x 2 ('86 and 2012)

GER x 1 (2002)

MEX x 1 ('74)

Funnily enough, although GBR started the whole thing, they have never won a race (much like the AC).

Race winners:

SWE x 2 ('98 and 2009)

NZL x 2 ('90 and '94)

FRA x 2 ('86 and 2012)

GER x 1 (2002)

MEX x 1 ('74)

Funnily enough, although GBR started the whole thing, they have never won a race (much like the AC).

what's a sailer?

Race winners:

SWE x 2 ('98 and 2009)

NZL x 2 ('90 and '94)

FRA x 2 ('86 and 2012)

GER x 1 (2002)

MEX x 1 ('74)

what's a sailer?

A boat that sails.

I was surprised to read that ian walker was the first brit to win it as skipper. Think he put a great campaign out there. Considering his last two have been less than stellar (blame the boat) he really grabbed the opportunity of early funding and one design to take the win.

So he's not allowed to give his honest opinion? He clearly liked the 70s better and so do a lot of us. (my personal opinion is that the OD concept was a good one but it should have OD VO70s)

I dunno what a OD VO70 would have brought to the game that a OD VO65 couldn't or didn't. When its OD, small speed gains are inconsequential. It was all about keeping costs down to allow for more entries and making the boat more robust so that they could actually finish legs. In the last go around, how many boats dropped out of how many legs? This time we had a total of one boat drop out of one leg due to a breakage. TVW doesn't count because they fucked up - that wasn't the boat's fault.

I personally would rather have all the boats finish in a tight race than half the fleet finish spread out by days. This iteration to me was FAR more exciting than when one boat usually dominated a leg due to design choices. If I want to see a de$ign battle where the size of the owners wallet, rather than the skill of the crew matters - I'll watch the AC circus.

I dunno what a OD VO70 would have brought to the game that a OD VO65 couldn't or didn't. When its OD, small speed gains are inconsequential. It was all about keeping costs down to allow for more entries and making the boat more robust so that they could actually finish legs. In the last go around, how many boats dropped out of how many legs? This time we had a total of one boat drop out of one leg due to a breakage. TVW doesn't count because they fucked up - that wasn't the boat's fault.

I personally would rather have all the boats finish in a tight race than half the fleet finish spread out by days. This iteration to me was FAR more exciting than when one boat usually dominated a leg due to design choices. If I want to see a de$ign battle where the size of the owners wallet, rather than the skill of the crew matters - I'll watch the AC circus.

You've not been watching lately then?

The skipper who just failed to make the podium is still blaming the boats even though they are strict One Design???

Quelle surprise!

Was he blaming them, or saying he doesn't like them? 'Cause I got news for ya - no one I've spoken to enjoys sailing them much. The whole crazy heel angles thing is too annoying, but then again they stay more or less in one piece and they do look good at the dock. But it was a great race, and with a few exceptions, Knut and team did a very good job turning the VOR into the biggest event in the sport, dwarfing the AC/Olympics/French events in every countable way except for single-day turnout, which the Route Du Rhum still owns.

The skipper who just failed to make the podium is still blaming the boats even though they are strict One Design???

Quelle surprise!

press conference is being encoded now, maybe another three or four hours til it is up. it is decent.

Tomorrow at 1030 is media roundtable with Knut. Should I start another thread?

Was he blaming them, or saying he doesn't like them? 'Cause I got news for ya - no one I've spoken to enjoys sailing them much. The whole crazy heel angles thing is too annoying, but then again they stay more or less in one piece and they do look good at the dock. But it was a great race, and with a few exceptions, Knut and team did a very good job turning the VOR into the biggest event in the sport, dwarfing the AC/Olympics/French events in every countable way except for single-day turnout, which the Route Du Rhum still owns.

Quelle surprise!

Why don't we all face it? The VO65 is a dog.

It's not impossible to design and build a fast boat that is fun to sail and doesn't fall apart.

Quelle surprise!

From what I heard and you can all go back and listen for yourselves was was simply stating that he didn't like the boats and that flat out he thought the 70's were better. As far as I'm concerned they could have gone OD70's with record breaking possibilities without compromising their cost restraints.

What he did blame VOR Organizers for was the rules infringments he got dinged for. Which I thought was poor.

That being said it was nice that he was honest right/wrong or otherwise. There was zero PC corporate babble which I hate.

details coming in about a fistfight and resisting arrest last night...two MAPFRE allegedly sailors ended up in the slammer after a fistfight with an outsider and then resisting arrest