Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

El Mariachi

PSA alert---stolen Star in So Cal....

Don't know this guy but I stumbled across his stolen Star ad on C/List a minute ago. Just thought I'd pass it along.....

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/boa/5061975930.html

Attention sailors. Star 8088 was stolen.

This Italian built Folli 22' Star Class Racing Boat is hull number 8088. It was taken from behind a sailors business at 13563 Alondra Blvd., Santa Fe Springs, CA (Los Angeles), between May 20th and June 5th.

Sitting on a galvanized BALBI road trailer with a California tag # 4GK5140, all wording on the trailer frame is in Italian. It has three large white fiberglass storage boxes (the paint on them is peeling badly) and bright blue fenders, it also has a side mounted spare tire. Securing the boat to the trailer are fiberglass mast racks holding two 31' long masts with dark covers and the boat itself has a white storage cover on it.

If you see it around, or have any info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

They're great boats but seriously, who in their right mind would steal a Star. There's not exactly a massive market that would be easy to sell stolen goods into.

They're great boats but seriously, who in their right mind would steal a Star. There's not exactly a massive market that would be easy to sell stolen goods into.

people steal stuff with no idea what they are taking. thief probaby saw it and figured they can get a few hundred for it with out knowing what it is or what it is worth. hopefully it makes its way home in one piece. scrap metal from the masts and trailer is about the only easy cash out of a stolen star :(

maybe put a craigslist want to buy ad. wtb strange long narrow boat missing engine. also wtb. 2 flag poles approximately 30' long. top dollar paid.

Just for drill, what's that old girl worth these days?....

saw ads for #8069 and #8017 asking 10k, one was a Folli and the other a Mader

Oh shitski, had no idea they were worth that much. ....

Probably stolen for the lead in the keel.

Imagine the shock when the salvage yard tells the thief it's iron!

He'll probably torch the boat out of spite.

Oh the Iron-knee :)

A few years ago I read a database of stolen boats in the U.S. It pretty much said you can take a sailboat, put strobe lights on a sign saying, "The Keys Are Here" and your boat will be safe. I'm pretty sure it was less than 100 sailboats stolen nationwide a year. And a Star? Can't imagine what anyone would do with a stolen Star. Gotta bet it turns up any day.

Maybe they just wanted the trailer?

for their star? the trailer is pretty unique to a star. if i was looking for a a free "donor" trailer for just about any boat or project, a star trailer would be at the bottom of the list of suitable starting points.

my guess is guy on drugs with trailer hitch sees boat and takes it. any theft is bad but the real shame of this is that the boat, trailer, and masts are worth so much less to the thief than the guy who stole them. Forget pennies on the dollar, the thief will be lucky to get a penny on the dollar.

Or a good boat for towing down the road on a trailer to Mexico and back a few times. There are a number of tanks in the floor, bow and back end. Good place for a drug head to stash a whole bunch of stuff.

Or a good boat for towing down the road on a trailer to Mexico and back a few times. There are a number of tanks in the floor, bow and back end. Good place for a drug head to stash a whole bunch of stuff.

I feel like that would be a fairly easy gambit to sniff out, so to speak.

A few years ago I read a database of stolen boats in the U.S. It pretty much said you can take a sailboat, put strobe lights on a sign saying, "The Keys Are Here" and your boat will be safe. I'm pretty sure it was less than 100 sailboats stolen nationwide a year. And a Star? Can't imagine what anyone would do with a stolen Star. Gotta bet it turns up any day.

I had a sailboat stolen a few years ago. All the kayaks and motorboats were left alone.

I had a sailboat stolen a few years ago. All the kayaks and motorboats were left alone.

Did you get it back? I had a car stolen out of my driveway once. You don't want to get that back, whereas I would feel very differently about a boat, depending on the boat.

Did you get it back? I had a car stolen out of my driveway once. You don't want to get that back, whereas I would feel very differently about a boat, depending on the boat.

Nope. I didn't. Still have the blades and sails that were not on the boat!

They'll try sailing it and, after realizing sailing stars is horrible, give it back.

Doute they give it backe, propably juste leave it somwheare.

saw ads for #8069 and #8017 asking 10k, one was a Folli and the other a Mader

Folli with a Balbi trailer. Assuming it's not beat to crap definitely worth 10, probably more depending on the spares that come with it.

I sailed a beautiful boat like that -- a Folli -- with the same Balbi trailer -- bak in the 90s. Sweet boat vacuum bagged. But the wrinkles in the laminate in places would have failed inspection -- if she'd been an airplane. Good enojugh for a sailbaot though :-)

I had an interview with the local statey that deals with boats, (over a shady CL thing with no HIN that I took to him for inspection). He showed me a pretty darned impressive impound yard full of expensive boats (considering that this is BFE) stolen from other parts of the country. I asked him something about one of my sailboats and he said something like, "SAIL boats? Do you know how many times I've even LOOKED at a SAIL boat in the last 20 years? Like... NEVER."

So... I got the impression that we can keep on with cocktail hour in the cockpit, as long as we keep the glasses below the gunnels when the fuzz jets by.

Wonder where the owner stashed it before filing the insurance claim

The owner is a well known and very good California Star sailor. I´m sure the boat was in top condition amd well worth 10,000 or more. Pretty wierd choice to steal.

Wonder where the owner stashed it before filing the insurance claim

Or possibly trying to keep out of divorce proceedings. It's not unheard of. (just an observation on missing boats I do not know anything about the people that own this boat.)

If you check the address into G-Earth you'll see it wasn't in a very secure location to begin with.

If you check the address into G-Earth you'll see it wasn't in a very secure location to begin with.

Yups---that's another part of Hell-A that you only wanna be in while the Sun is still up....

Saw a star at a rest stop on I-95 a few nights ago. 3am somewhere in South Carolina or North Carolina. Matches some of the same descriptions of the ad. Ive got a picture I snapped of it but I cant figure out how to upload it from my phone.

Saw a star at a rest stop on I-95 a few nights ago. 3am somewhere in South Carolina or North Carolina. Matches some of the same descriptions of the ad. Ive got a picture I snapped of it but I cant figure out how to upload it from my phone.

Send it to my phone---310-two hundred-7852....

That's his fuking boat, Jo! Wfd!....

Wtf? Someone stole a 80XX series Star and towed it across the country? Very strange.

Maybe it is already stuffed in a container on a banana boat heading south out of Charleston with a load of strawberries heading for Colombia.

Wtf? Someone stole a 80XX series Star and towed it across the country? Very strange.

Trying to verify with the owner right now. The rear bumper looks a bit different from Jo's pic (tail lights)...but everything else looks identical to his ad. Stay tuned.....

imagine that .

Well we were close...but no Thai stick. The tail light arrangement doesn't match his trailer....but Greg says Thanks for our efforts......

Keep your eyes peeled boys. It's in a vacant lot out there somewhere, though probably still in LA county. Replacement value on the hull, spars, sails, spares and trailers is significant.

We've locked down a loaner for the Districts in Newport Beach this weekend. These f*ckers are not keeping us out of the fray!

Greg

Keep your eyes peeled boys. It's in a vacant lot out there somewhere, though probably still in LA county. Replacement value on the hull, spars, sails, spares and trailers is significant.

We've locked down a loaner for the Districts in Newport Beach this weekend. These f*ckers are not keeping us out of the fray!

Greg

After my boat got stolen I thought how ironic it is that all I needed was to have a tracking device hidden in a tank. But of course I didn't have one.

Greg

After my boat got stolen I thought how ironic it is that all I needed was to have a tracking device hidden in a tank. But of course I didn't have one.

Battery life would be an issue. Unless you left a note for the boat thief to please turn on the tracking device.

Wouldn't they need to steal at least one mast a year as well?

ArBee allerte gose into hi-geare and gettes resulltes! :)

Can babelfish translate Snagglespeak?

RB (me) alert goes into hi gear and gets results. You can take a free course at most community colleges in Snagglese 101. Trust me, it's worth the time.....

Rick Booth, P.I.?

It has the makings of a Lifetime network movie! Maybe they could get Tom Selleck to star in it!

More like danny devito or Steve Buscemi..... ;)

More like danny devito or Steve Buscemi..... ;)

Thanx for that, ass-carrot----you just saved me a stamp and a f'ng Christmas card..... :lol:

RB (me) alert goes into hi gear and gets results. You can take a free course at most community colleges in Snagglese 101. Trust me, it's worth the time.....

I better sign up for the quick course, at the moment I understand about 20%, the rest is gibberish.

ArBee is meant to be RB ?

Rick Booth, P.I.?

It has the makings of a Lifetime network movie! Maybe they could get Tom Selleck to star in it!

The Rickford files

I better sign up for the quick course, at the moment I understand about 20%, the rest is gibberish.

That's the beauty of Snagglese, most of what most people post is bullshit anyway, in Snagglese, you can cut to the heart of the matter even with a limited understanding.

That's the beauty of Snagglese, most of what most people post is bullshit anyway, in Snagglese, you can cut to the heart of the matter even with a limited understanding.

All it does it give me a headache trying to decipher the gibberish.

I get less brain drain reading snagglese than bastardised americanese of some posters USA interprataion of the english language.

You started out well, but got a little mangled in the middle. Next year we can explore capitalization.

I get less brain drain reading snagglese than bastardised americanese of some posters USA interprataion of the english language.

You started out well, but got a little mangled in the middle. Next year we can explore capitalization.

:lol:....

Bastardized is spelled with a z btw...

llo :)

It's spelt with an ess, not a zed, (or even a zee, for that matter).

:rolleyes:

What the fuk would you know? You're Irische for krysts sakes.....:lol:

bastardiessed...no, that doesn't work either. B)

Ah!! The intellectuals' comments have arrived on the thread

While Ricko is looking for the Star, maybe he can find the escaped murderers from New York!

Who the fuck are you calling intellectual??? There's no need for that.

No no no. baesstardiessed. Sheesh...

That's just pure fuktabulousism......

Who the fuck are you calling intellectual??? There's no need for that.

No no no. baesstardiessed. Sheesh...

Don't you have some Lucky Charms to be guarding?

I'm going to be in the area today, I'll keep an eye peeled.

Saw a boat on a trailer that looked just like this one as I was haulin' ass down the 405 in The OC yesterday eve with my own boat in tow. It was behind a truck (white pickup?) in the Northbound lanes, about .5 mile north of the Brookhurst exit. 'Twas about 7:00 p.m. Took me a minute to remember why it looked familiar. I'm sorry I was not going in the same direction or able to flip a u-ee to chase and photograph, and also sorry I couldn't get to a computer to post this until now.

Star district Championships this past weekend in Newport Beach.......lots of Stars on Balbi trailers moving around that area Sunday evening.

However, don't want to discourage people keeping their eyes open to help.

Friend had a Coronado 15 stolen from his house a few years back. He found it driving through the not so nice area closest to his house. Called the cops. They came and cut the chain on the fence it sat behind and he collected his boat. The resident had no idea how it got there. Doubt anything ever came of it. There are people out there that will take anything not bolted down or locked up.

saw this star on the 55 South on Friday, probably headed to NHYC but would be a good place to get ride of a boat.

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

That was 6801. Had a little problem with the hitch receptacle and NO safety chain. Some guys never learn...

saw this star on the 55 South on Friday, probably headed to NHYC but would be a good place to get ride of a boat.

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

That was 6801. Had a little problem with the hitch receptacle and NO safety chain. Some guys never learn...

I learned this lesson ONCE- watching in the rearview as my 470 careened down a crowded ramp towards some boats and people including little kids.

Luckily it spun out and no one was hurt. I swore to myself then that I would never move a boat a single foot without the safety chains, and I haven't.

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

I learned this lesson ONCE- watching in the rearview as my 470 careened down a crowded ramp towards some boats and people including little kids.

Luckily it spun out and no one was hurt. I swore to myself then that I would never move a boat a single foot without the safety chains, and I haven't.

Lost mine at carter. Luckily it was right at the curve coming up the hill empty . If it had broken off before the turn, well... Glug Glug into a Very long ramp into res.

Was pulling John Ross Dugan's Sonar from Florida to Long Beach, CA.

Took a wrong turn on the Pacific Coast Highway and ended up in a big parking lot. (Boing?)

No problem, I'll just cut across and get back on the highway. There was a traffic signal that trips when there is a vehicle, but it was a very short one. So the next time it tripped, I took off a little quicker.

When the back of the van bumped that deep California gutter it broke the trailer hitch off. It broke off inside the chains and all.

The Sonar slowly passed us by and turned into the turn lane of Pacific Coast Highway.

Good thing, as the really deep concrete river was straight ahead.

A California Highway patrol guy set out flares and helped us call a tow for the boat. He wanted our Lottery numbers. Said it was a sight to see that boat park itself.

Cost $75 to get the boat towed a mile to the Sailing Center.

I never did tell John Ross. No damage to trailer or boat.

Oh, and the trailer hitch company supplied us free a massive hitch in exchange at no charge.

Dave Ellis

<snip>

Oh, and the trailer hitch company supplied us free a massive hitch in exchange at no charge.

Dave Ellis

I bet they did!

I was coming back from the lake on gravel roads with my Wayfarer in tow behind my Celica. Going like a bat out of hell as I am wont, I crested a hill to discover that there was a T-intersection right there. I managed to slide the car around on the shoulder, with the trailer further down the bank acting as a turning aid. Luckily, nothing broke. I'm a pretty good driver, but I'm a stupidly lucky driver.

When I was a kid we were towing our little 16' Lyman motor boat up a rather steep, cobblestone paved hill that led up from the launch ramp. We were almost to the top of the rather long hill when all of a sudden there was a horrible noise from behind the car. We stopped and went to look, the trailer had popped off the hitch but the safety chains held fast in spite of the trailer tongue bouncing on the cobblestones. Getting the hitch back on the ball on the steep hill was no fun but that was nothing compared to what would have happened had the trailer got loose and careened back down the hill with the little Lyman. Probably would end up with a bit of firewood. I learned about the importance of trailer safety chains at an early age. For anybody from the NW PA area, it was the old Chestnut street launch ramp next to the waterworks on Presque Isle Bay.

Not a boat story but we had a 24' travel trailer in Arizona. We went to a campground near a river down a very steep and winding one lane dirt road. When it was time to leave I disconnected the safety chains and told everyone to hold on. I wasn't stopping for anything and if the trailer went over I didn't want it taking us with it....

Drift>>>>>>

In the stupid but lucky category;

A few years back I took my dad for a brief sail in my 14' skiff-type dinghy. He was having trouble with his balance, etc. (early signs of brain degeneration, in hindsight). So we launched the boat and I single-handed it to a beach in the sail-only part of Mission Bay. He drove to a parking area next to the beach, but needed to separate the car from the trailer to park. The sailing was great and we didn't capsize (if we did, we were never more than a few hundred yards from a beach to drift into). When bringing the car and trailer back to the ramp, he couldn't get the hitch lock mechanism to close. "Fortunately" a big young guy helped him, so he was able to get the mechanism closed. No further incident until I went to take the trailer off the hitch at home about an hour's drive away. The hitch lock mechanism was closed alright; but closed on air. The ball was underneath the hitch lock. In other words, the trailer was riding on only the top 1/2" of the ball and could have bounced off at any time! At least the chains were attached properly.

Note to self; always check the hitch myself. Duh.

Not a boat story but we had a 24' travel trailer in Arizona. We went to a campground near a river down a very steep and winding one lane dirt road. When it was time to leave I disconnected the safety chains and told everyone to hold on. I wasn't stopping for anything and if the trailer went over I didn't want it taking us with it....

Drift>>>>>>

Not boating related either but Dad & I pulled into an rv park in San Carlos, Mexico one afternoon around '73 in our motor home. Picked out a space and were walking back to the office to pay up. Just then an old Chevy pick-up pulled into the drive way and up to the office too. It was pulling a 24' Airstream. The guy slowly and calmly came to a complete stop-------which is right when the trailer ball completely crystalized, turned to dust and the Airstream kept going forward under the bumper another three feet or so before it hit the tail gate and the receiver plowed a small furrow in the asphalt. This older couple had just spent the entire day driving from Phoenix to San Carlos----maybe 450 miles.....thru some pretty curvy, hilly and skinny roads. Could have ended SO much worse..... .

" Could have ended SOO much worse "

We had a road fatality here on Oahu last month when a small tank-trailer from a paving company parted ways with the tow vehicle and killed a man sitting in his pickup truck, waiting at a stop sign.

Towing is serious bid-ness.

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

How do you know that was 6801? That used to be my Star, a Gerrard hull :(

I had the trailer completely rebuilt (axles, wheels, lights, hitch) in 2007 before Marcus bought it and took it to the GGYC.

Great post. Totally agree. The ormegas as my Latin team calls the scavengers. Take anything not tied down.

Countless thefts by two legged animals. Couple of years ago we lost a trailer. The hwy patrol traced it back to us. While thanking the officer, he said its three to five trailers a week. When one had a tracking device they found it choking down the recycling grinder.

The old man drove the Star to Florida 2 years ago. The engine or transmission was bucking like a wild bronco. He couldn't stand it and stopped at a dealership. They drive it around, feel what he's feeling, run every diagnostic they can think of, replace one of those new type ignitors on one spark plug, check the balance of the tires, look for loose bearings, you name it.

What was the problem? The nut had fallen off the ball.

One of my mates had his smallish utility box trailer stolen from his driveway in the middle of a Friday afternoon on a busy road. He had a nearly new Ducati in it and heaps of bike gear worth even more. Security camera at the Cumberland Farms corner gas station got a pic of it and of the thieves pickup truck, but I don't think they ever found the guy.

DFG ??

Hi Jack,

Just across the Black River bridge on 10 St I stopped to look at a Sea Ray. Its trailer tong was parked 3 feet into a very large tree near the curb. The boat almost touching the tree. Walked over to the trunk hauling the boat. Only the bottom 1/2 of the ball was in the hitch. How long do balls on trailer hitches last?

Under the heading of,, How fuckin usless are the Los Angeles Police? Or boggeled down in Bullshit.

Store owner calls the Police,,,, Hey come get this Sail boat out of my Strip center parking lot....??? its been here a couple of weeks.

The Police come,,, and give the Store owner Shit for not haveing Tow away Signage posted,,,, Sorry can't help you..... The Fags don't even run the licence plate????

Boat sits another couple of months, while frustrated Store owner gets the proper Signs up and registers with the City???? Then calls again....

By Now the boat has been completly vandalized, the mast and boom have been carted off for aluminum salvage, the sails have become homeless patios,, and the storage boxes have been cleaned out.

Finaly the Tow yard folks are involved,,,,, they like the Police cary guns, and possibly nastier attitudes than the cops, if thats possible? Tow Yard Folk, are only intrested in one thing,,,, Who Gona Pay?

Finally the Licence plate is looked up and lo and behold it is Stolen????

Still gota Pay, but nothing a new set of sails and spars won't fix.

Gould's Star has been returned!

great Boat and a even Better Team, Good news

Brownie

post-1675-0-42727500-1439081525_thumb.jpg