• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Heaven can wait

"Heaven Can Wait" 24 hour Yacht Race

The Minimum crew numbers were mainly to prevent one crew being on deck alone, just incase things went pear shaped, or skipper falls overboard - sounded a bit of over kill, howvever it's happened before unfortunately, so the establishment has Errd on the safety side of things.

was only jokin bout the crew number problem for the flying 15, 4 for min crew is a good number, e7's sailed competitively with min of 5 iirc, t7's iirc sail competitively with 4 or 5, ye min 4 is good.

GybeSet,

You're right about the "Iron Sail" almost forgot about that, but it's there on the Compliance Certificate.  :ph34r:

cmoorrrnnn, you forgot

I didn't just pop out from behind the closest tree.

Just trying to validate why the F15's and the like have been overlooked as potential starters - just forgot that those boats generally don't carry O/B's. Just focusing on "other" prime reasons why these boats were excluded over and above the Cat 5 Cert that's all.

I was pretty diplomatic don't you think, don't want to offend too many punters out there, or bamboozal them with logic?? :ph34r:

was very diplomatic, i have not been offended.

Great News guys the Starting Cannon works, and how loud is that thing???.

Got a news flash for you, we're going to aim it down the start line, so pity help the boats that are early?? :lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

well if they are 20'1"(easy fix), self draining, cat5 cert and have an outboard i'd say your rooted actually
In what way?? :ph34r:

A1. every which way but loose? LOL

A2. They'd qualify under YA blue-book guidelines, wouldn't they

Would need 4 quite light individuals however.

You should be at work there Grasshopper (y2k4)??, do you go to Ryde Tech to do your trade course?? :ph34r:

mmm, was at tech, its up at broadmeadows (newie) Hunter Institute of technology or somethin similar,.

mmm, was at tech, its up at broadmeadows (newie) Hunter Institute of technology or somethin similar,.

Y2k4,

Give my regards to Ron, and Ewan if he's still there?? Just don't get Ron to show you how to work a Chain Saw - He's Dangerous??

GybeSet, just think if we had a F15 with not even half the gear listed on a Cat 5 Cert, plus Night Gear plus 4 crew - I'd reckon the poor little thing would get 1 maybe 200 metres from the Start line and sink.

Only till the Buoyancy kicks in of course. :ph34r:

ewan is still there & ron is still there.

what stuff is on the cat 5 cert??

where's the entry list?

where's the entry list?

Y2k4,

No active entry list for this years trial, however we have a number of our Club, local and Lake Clubs sending down boats with also some interstaters.

Have 26 Owners to date that are participating in the trial.

The Main Event next Year is a different story. When the Official 06 NOR is released, which shall be shortly after the Trial, all boats must have their entry in approx 1 month prior to the Race Day Start.

Hope this helps?? :ph34r:

phil this is a sign that we are no longer part of a Gentleman's sport ??

a good idea anyway, from a safey pov as well?

or require a sked ?

HCW,silly Q for the day?

Will you have a judge boat at each major mark watching for those who short cut?

Phil,

For the Trial the Volunteer Coastal Patrol will be monitoring all Trialists, however we shall not be policing the Marks in the same way that we shall for the main Event.

The purpose of the Trial is to gain information, data and ensure Safety Controls are established and understood by all Authorities.

As a result of the Trial, our Club is presenting all information gained at a meeting with the VCP, NSW Maritime and Water police, to discuss the Trials findings and implement any changes necessary to ensure the 2006's Events success.

Because the 2005 Trial is not a race, cheating serves NO purpose, hence cutting corners achieves absolutely nothing except provide incorrect information and or feedback, which is detrimental to not only the would be trialist but for the greater Event itself.

All Marks during the trial will be periodically monitored by the Race Organisers, The Volunteer Coastal Patrol, the NSW Maritime and the Water Police as they have a direct influence in how the 06 Event can be better organised.

In short Phil, there is nothing to gain by cutting corners in the Trial, however for the Main Event, should a boat registered in a division not round a Course Mark and be NOT logged as passing that Mark, with no Radio notification at night, a search shall be initiated. The prospect of the Cost of that search may be worn by that boats owner given mitigating and or suspect circumstances why that boat failed to round that rounding Mark, other than gear failure, or what is deamed to be prudent.

During daylight hours boats not rounding Course Marks, shall be classified as a DNF, and or disqualified.

Race Officials shall be placed at all rounding Marks for the Main Event in 06 and in the future, to negate any cheating and monitor the Greater Course. :ph34r:

I wouldn't think that it was to important to have a officials at all marks, stretches resources . If a boat is going to cheat like that, it can't be a good winning feeling.

I wouldn't think that it was to important to have a officials at all marks, stretches resources . If a boat is going to cheat like that, it can't be a good winning feeling.

Hey Steve,

Main thing is we shouldn't need Judge and Jury on each mark, or any I spyer for that matter during the Trial as cheating helps no one, however during the 06 Event we will have VCP boats at or near rounding marks to watch roundings as well as more so to watch out for trouble on the greater course.

Cheating in a Charity High Profile Event, you wouldn't live with yourself would you. :ph34r:

, there is nothing to gain by cutting corners in the Trial,  :ph34r:

nothing to be gained, but plenty to be lost !!

If you finished the trial quicker for any reason your hcp would be shot for the main event !!

nothing to be gained, but plenty to be lost !!

If you finished the trial quicker for any reason your hcp would be shot for the main event !!

GybeSet,

As long as we know where those boats stopped we can determine an AV distance sailed to make up the 24-hours to get a distance overall.

The Multi-hulls are using a Backward system that I'm told is a handicap based on a percentage of the average speed achieved over a distance or a set time. The Multi's also shall be finishing out on the course - due to the apparent "Huge" discrepency in Boat Speed, between boats in the same division.

Which is a help as you wouldn't want any slow-pokes to be run over in eye shot of the finish.

On the social side for the 06 Event, almost the entire waterfront is going for a Carnivale atmosphere, so bring yer families. :ph34r:

Looks like the locals are getting excited about the prospect of you lot that compete.

Great stuff??

FAIRY nuff hcw, my point

"If you took an unofficial shortcut for any reason your hcp would be shot for the main event !! "

GybeSet,

Agree with you totally, however you'd have to question the reasoning to go the unofficial shortcut in a Trial, when you can't win anything short cut or not.

Barring a midnight "Storm" we should have enough boats represented to get a pretty good idea of how the Divisions are going to be made up.

Interesting to see how far an Adams 10, an Elliot 7 and Penguins can get in 24hours? :ph34r:

not my idea/initiative ! go up-thread !!

"Roger" - GybeSet??

Silly thing is we don't even need a course for the Trial, it's mainly to determine how far each boat actually sailed over a 24 - hour period in relation to others participating in the same trial.

The Course is however what everyone will sailing for the main Event in 06. Cutting corners only disadvantages YOU the trialist as it's the LOG distance we want.

The Course also gives the punters a much broader range of sailing angles, which does of course impact of No.. Laps completed over a set time.

Historically, October has primarily NEast afternoon seabreezes that kick in at about 1-2pm and fade around 10pm, and swing around to the West. Similarily should we have a Southerly Air stream, we generally get SEeasters so the opposite applies.

On starting boats will work up to Belmont Bay, then kite - 2 sail reach to Warners Bay. From there they will reach/run under kite to Wangi. A short work out of Wangi then Reach/run back to Mannering Park Mark.

Ideally each lap should have a fair amount of working, which of course gives the RC the opportunity to run the Course Clock wize, instead of Anti-Clockwize, however the Rounding buoys are still in the same location, depending on the prevailing winds.

All in all it should be a nice change to work the boat for the distance, instead of set and forget or hike for hours on end like Offshore.

It's definately sailing unchartered waters when it comes to sailing around Marks at night - not a lot of experience anywhere as I've found out, might have to sharpen yer pencils and plotters. :ph34r:

HCW,it came up at our sailing committee meeting tonight ,that the Swansea bridge has been shut for a while.

Can you check please ,no point in coming up if we can't get in!

HCW,it came up at our sailing committee meeting tonight ,that the Swansea bridge has been shut for a while.

Phil,

We've been told that it will only be worked on for another week apparently, I'll get a more definitative answer for you. :ph34r:

Phil,

We've been told that it will only be worked on for another week apparently, I'll get a more definitative answer for you. :ph34r:

Hey Phil,

Spoke to the RTA today being Wednesday, and they assure me that marine traffic should be able to pass from the 11th of Sept.

Bloody hope so my neighbours boat broke it's mooring last week, and it's now sitting on my Commercial Mooring until my Mooring contractor can bring his boat into the Lake. He's been stuck in Newcastle Harbour for the past fortnight. Makes it a bit hard to earn a living eh. :ph34r:

HCW,looks like we may not be coming with a A10.The owner is looking to do Lord Howe and Hobart and may not have enough 'points' for another weekend away.

Mel has to work as well so if we don't come.all the best and see you on the water sometime.

Phil

HCW,looks like we may not be coming with a A10.The owner is looking to do Lord Howe and Hobart and may not have enough 'points' for another weekend away.

Mel has to work as well so if we don't come.all the best and see you on the water sometime.

Phil

Sorry to here about that Phil,

We'll keep you posted with the results from the trial, and hopefully we'll see you for the main Event in 06.

Theres only 5 left!I don't think they'd be too happy with one of us 'borrowing' one of theirs.

Phil,

I could make some calls if you would like to do the trial on one of the Lake Boats, as I know a couple of the owners, or I could get you a ride on any number of the Trials participating boats.

First Compliant boats to enter to the HcW Trial were received today, a Ross 830 and a Roberts 370 (37').

Guess it gets a bit exciting from here on in eh guys?? :ph34r:

Just found out that the Chairman of the Special Regs, Stuart Primrose Died last night, he and Roger Hickman were overseeing the Nuts and Bolts for the HcW 24-hour.

Really Nice bloke and sympathy to all of his Family at this time.

Looks like the New Cat Regs might be delayed until further notice. :ph34r:

Just found out that the Chairman of the Special Regs, Stuart Primrose died last night

HCW,

Is that the same Stuart Primrose that does a lot of umpiring and safety certification work out of the RSYS??

If so, very sad, he was not that old. Only audited me a couple of weeks ago

CC

Just found out that the Chairman of the Special Regs, Stuart Primrose died last night

HCW,

Is that the same Stuart Primrose that does a lot of umpiring and safety certification work out of the RSYS??

If so, very sad, he was not that old. Only audited me a couple of weeks ago

CC

Yes CC, unfortunately - I too found him easy to work with - nice guy!

I only spoke with him late last week, seemed in good spirits then.

Steve, I have you well and truly penciled in!

[

Yes CC, unfortunately - I too found him easy to work with - nice guy!

I only spoke with him late last week, seemed in good spirits then.

Stuart's brother Neil is the E7 Assoc Chair. I have told him that SA was already talking about Stuart's untimely and very sad passing.

Looks like the Heaven can Wait 24-hour will get "Dispensation" from rule 3.2.2, which is helpful - Just looking after yer Masts guys??

The YA are finalising recommendations before it's made official.

The Trial is just a little over a week away, so watch this space for the results, photo's ect........

Bring it on eh guys. :ph34r:

so without reading through all the posts, will the race  be next year - not this year?

Both Max

HCW Trial this weekend

HCW Race 2006

HCW mebbe re-post a direct link/ email address now for enquiries for this weekend.

Both Max

HCW Trial this weekend

HCW Race 2006

HCW mebbe re-post a direct link/ email address now for enquiries for this weekend.

Thank you GybeSet,

Anyone interested in the goings on for this weekend PM, me here for further details, otherwize goto My Club

As GybeSet explains, the HcW24-hour Trial is this weekend being the 1st and 2nd of October 05.

Main Event October Long Weekend 2006

What is it with you blokes and yer Rigs - thats 5 yachts with problems this week.

:ph34r:

Just had a suggestion from one of the Trialists.

Would the Heaven can Wait 24-hour suite more people if It were moved to the first week in November - instead of the October Long Weekend???

His reasons - get the Event away from the Footy Finals, Bathurst and into longer days, Warmer Weather, Daylight Saving, and less impact on family time!!

Your thoughts?? :ph34r:

Jervis Bay have a 32 miler around the Bay about the middle of November. It is also a TYA event, so that might not work real well. Having said that the E's have avoided long weekends and holidays this season so that family and sailing lifestyles don't conflict.

It will be a tough weekend, and for the NSW/ACT guys they can then do the family or recoup thing on Monday.

The footy is on the Sunday night, and Bathurst is the following weekend. They don't really interfere.

I would vote leave it. We are also more likely to holiday with the family at the Lake.

Edited by Steve AUS

Jervis Bay have a 32 miler around the Bay about the middle of November. It is also a TYA event, so that might not work real well. Having said that the E's have avoided long weekends and holidays this season so that family and sailing lifestyles don't conflict.

Besides that is a tough weekend and for the NSW/ACT guys they can then do the family or recoup thing on Monday.

Bathurst is the following weekend, and the footy is Sunday night.

So what are you saying Steve - leave the Race Date where it is??? :ph34r:

So what are you saying Steve - leave the Race Date where it is??? :ph34r:

Hi H, I hope I cleared it up a bit better!

Clear as Mud, my friend!!

The HcW Trial is but 2 sleeps away, I sincerely hope that this "Breeze" quietens down a tad otherwize we are going to be peeling boats off the Cliffs of Lord Howe. :lol::lol::(:ph34r:

Sorry you wont be out there Steve, next year.

Well I couldn't have wished the weather God's to perform any better -

The forecast NE 10 - 15 knots, partly cloudy 25 degree's "Nice".

So what's the rest of the world doing???

Whilst the Starting numbers are down, the fleet will cover all of the intended Divisions, which is all we need??

I'm expecting that the fastest Cat entered will get around the course in about 3 - 4 hours, the fastest Mono about 4 - 5, should be interesting though??

I'll be watching for news on the 24-hour Trial!

Who knows... perhaps I can even make it to AUS in October '06 for the big show, assuming anyone can use an extra crew (even if I speak the US version of English)?

;)

Quick update guys,

All Yachts and Multi's started at 1pm

"Foxy" - Catamaran, rounded the Southern Mark at 5.08 PM

(1 complete lap of Lake Macquarie)

"Penguins on Parade" - Sportsboat, rounded the Southern Mark at 5.12 PM

The main group started passing the Southern Mark some 26minutes later.

Wind is a light East North East, at last contact Penguins has caught "Foxy" and is enjoying a slight lead.

All good guys - I'll wrap the Trial placings up tomorrow night.

Oh and it's as black as the Ace of Spades out there!!! :ph34r:

whats the breeze, ie 1st 6hrs, 2nd six hours ?

Sounds lightish ??

go penguins !

GybeSet,

1st 6hrs 10 - 13knots

2nd 6hrs 10 - 5knots as of 10.55PM :ph34r:

To be honest "Pengin's OP" is sailing well and they're pushing pretty hard. :ph34r:

And!

So your guessmations on the laps were pretty close then.

Yep Steve,

The boys were telling me off "Foxy" that between 1&5am they managed to get in a round of golf - golf you say?

They reckon they played all 18 holes, and even found the 19th such was the lack of wind, anyway they had a decent battle with Penguin's all night. Penguin's was actually able to get Half an hour lead over "Foxy", which deminished once daylight came.

1st through to 3rd were able to sail 3 complete laps of Lake Macquarie in 24 hours, however, if the breeze had stayed in a little longer on Saturday, the boys were flying and would have completed upward of 6 laps.

"Foxy" was able to sail 1 lap in 4 hours, averaging over 9 knots, Penguin's not far off that.

Didn't realize that Penguin's was built off a Young 780 plan?

Very satisfyed with the overall result though, and all of the Trialists were really positive about next year.

Once we iron out a few communication problems, and get all of the VCP on the same page, we are going to have a fantastic race next year.

All in all we managed to get a lot more out of the Trial than we expected, and the assistance of the boats and their crews made the whole execise enjoyable to say the least.

Got to say guys watching a pair of large Assy kites glow with the very last whisp of daylight was a picture, can't wait till next year when there'll be hundreds. :ph34r:

what a poetic scene HCW, now you've got me going

got a pic

I've always maintained we'd hear your dolset tones rattle the LM floorboards again for the main Event there GybeSet.

Yeah, I got 2, my wife neglected to delete the crap off the memory card she'd taken of Eric the Crocodile.

Seriously though I believe others took photo's so I'll post them in due coarse. :ph34r:

Seeing those 2 boats at dusk, really re-enforced why I'm doing all of this in the first place?? :ph34r:

For those that are interested the boats representing there Clubs that entered were from:

Mannering Park Yacht Club 1

South Lakes Ameteur Sailing Club 2

Wangi Ameteur Sailing Club 2

Royal Motor Yacht Club (Toronto) 1

Newcastle 1

LAKE MACQUARIE YACHT CLUB "0" I hope that they make more of an effort next year?? :ph34r:

did you bother talking to the club and asking them to make announcements about it or send them an info pack with sum flyers or sumthin like that to promote the event??

Hey Gorn,

LMYC set the Belmont Bay Mark for the Trial, figured the Sailing Chief would have preached the word as I'd organised LMYC to have an involvement in the Trial and also with Main Event, and this was done a number of weeks ago. Also word of mouth is much more potent than yer notice board.

Found that out when I organised a SSSC Course for Offshore Yachties a couple of years ago, complete with an actual CHC Helicopter high-line demonstration too and fro from Hi-Hopeless - awesome site that with the chopper just above your mast crane - pity the greater part of LMYC missed it because Messer Cummings forgot to mention it to Club members.

Next year different kettle of fish, by the time we all get to race day you'll have to do it just to shut the promotional machine up.

Gorn, we had our hands tied a little bit this year with the Trial, as we only hoped for a max of 20 or so boats, as this was primarily a test-run and not a sanctioned as a proper Race as such.

Either way the Trial was successful and exceeded our intended expectations, so can I count on GORN FRANTIC next year for the Real Deal.

HcW :ph34r:

fair enough then, well seeing as they set a mark for it they should have said sumthin about it, but we got no announcements during weekly race result readings, or info in notice boards etc, but none of that really surprises me, fits in nicely with LMYC piss poor information and organising abilities

fair enough then, well seeing as they set a mark for it they should have said sumthin about it, but we got no announcements during weekly race result readings, or info in notice boards etc, but none of that really surprises me, fits in nicely with LMYC piss poor information and organising abilities

Hey Gorn,

I would have thought since Messer Cummings concentrates on the sailing only these days, information would be better available.

Oh well, you can only do so much??

At least with the Real Deal next year, all the big Sailing Media and local TV stations are going to give the HcW a descent push.

On the Trial, you have to be impressed with Penguin's on Parade, having completed 1 complete lap of the LM course in 4 hours, thats an average of 9knots, and that was not far off what wind strength we had. :ph34r:

H, are you staying here or kicking off another thread, this being the greatest SB thread of all time.

Work with me Steve, the Trial has got me all charged up again to get back to organising the Main Event.

Had a raffle that coincided with the Trial, and I won a holiday, just a shame that it's for 4 nights mid week, in the Caravan Park next door to the Yacht Club. "Bugger" :ph34r:

Work with me Steve, the Trial has got me all charged up again to get back to organising the Main Event.

Had a raffle that coincided with the Trial, and I won a holiday, just a shame that it's for 4 nights mid week, in the Caravan Park next door to the Yacht Club. "Bugger" :ph34r:

Cool, can you use it the week before the big event, you should not have to much spare time to be going home and back again!

I'll work with ya, just let me know.

Problem is because of the HcW and just the October Long Weekend being the start of all things Summer, the Caravan Park is booked out for the next 3 years.

The Operator is a huge supporter of the 24-hour Race, and also of me, and he's going to help my Club achieve it's Race budget requirements, and help me get my old girl back in the water.

Really nice guy - for a Zillion Aire :ph34r:

We are just in the throws of working out a Logo (Cartoon) for publicity stuff, any thoughts??.

I've created one which I reckon sums up the HcW, which I'll post shortly, but get creative guys and we'll see what we can create.

Any assistance with posting flyers and posters in your travels around the State guys will be a great help to the HcW 24-hour Race. :ph34r:

We did posters for the Northies Nats last season, they were sent to all NS clubs plus a lot of others, problem is some clubs probably still have them in a pigeon hole or something.

Best thing is hand deliver and put it up if possible.

Evident too with LMYC, you can't just leave it with those who are not directly getting/doing something.

Back to the poster, we just did it as a photo and put a watermark over it of what, where etc and then one of the guys had access to a good colour printer.

This came up alright though??

yeah, it dosen't need to be flash, just info, and as said before in view. Don't worry about all the logo and stuff for now, just get it out, you can always update later. Thing about getting it posted is that we should make contact with interested parties there at the sane time. Send the new logoed fandango to them.

get them done and send down, just the file will be fine.

Had a chat to the owner of Ex-tension a Davidson 36 and he sounds very much like of the Turkey Slapper mentality - retired at midnight because he ran out of beer - nice one guys! :ph34r:

What was he thinking, worried about to much weight in theTrial!

like i said earlier in the thread HCW, perhaps you need to look at getting GPS possies for all the marks in the course and distribute them with the SI's just about every man and his dog these days can get access to a small hand help GPS for the weekend if they dont already own one

Hey Gorn,

One of the strongest points about the HcW 24-hour, is that because the start is at 1pm, all yachts should be able to sight the course in daylight hours, so there shouldn't really be an issue. You're right though GPS aren't expensive and just about everyones got access to one.

A couple of the boats had GPS's but didn't use them as there is enough in the way of Fixed land features to get a pretty good bearing from.

- I'm open to suggestions though as to how we are going to finish the Race, please consider that we are trying to make the logistics of finishing all of the boats as easy as practical, and also because good personnel are light on the ground.

words words , but a coupla plots is tooooooo easy, even IF not totally necessary, they are nearly essential at the MPONR nightrace where marks are 'over horizon' nearly

the GPS location of 'Sunken Rock' may be more valid