• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Heaven can wait

"Heaven Can Wait" 24 hour Yacht Race

The regatta begins at 1100 hours on November 17, with the 24-hour race finishing at 1100 hours the following morning.

My apologie; that date of course should be November 16 (the Saturday)

I'm off to Oz on Tuesday for year 8!

After 7 years of going counter clockwise around Lake Maquarie, we're trying marks to Starboard and going the other way this time. Should be fun!

I can still use an extra hand or two on the starting line boats, so if anyone would like to join in, please let me know. :)

Only 10 more sleeps till the best challenge you will do all year!

Look out you sporties as I'm bringing a few of my Multi mates to the party this year and we will be gunning for some records. Game on boys!

So if you haven't already entered, the gauntlet has been thrown down to put us heathens in our place. ;P

This is SA after all and if a quick jab with a pointy stick (or picklefork) can get more boats to show up then its worth a shot.

See ya all on the starting line.

Bump.

With just 6 sleeps to go I figured this thread needed another push to get all you sporties at the line come Sat. If we get the winds like the past two days it should be an awesome race into the dark.

The Heaven Can Wait dinner tonight at RMYC is going to be off the charts! The special guest speakers will be:

Liesl Tesch (Paralympic gold medallist in London)

Haylee Outteridge (aspiring Olympian)

Kyle Langford (wing trimmer on Oracle Team USA's successful defense of the America's Cup)

Nathan Outteridge (2nd at Moth Worlds in Kaneohe, Hawaii, helmsman for Artemis team's AC 72, and oh yeah… 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist in London).

;)

Tomorrow morning, the briefing will begin at 8:30, and the 8th annual HCW race will start at 1100.

I'm thrilled to be back once again!

Nathan Outteridge blazed around the 32.52 mile course to finish the One Lap Dash portion of the 8th Annual Heaven Can Wait race in 2 hours, 14 minutes, 32 seconds. Moths simply crush the competition!

Just under half of the fleet is out on the lake tonight for the full 24 Hour race. Wind and occasional rain continue. The moon is almost full, but unfortunately mostly hidden. :/

Next radio sled will be at 0700

TV interview from just after the start today:

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2013/11/16/race-to-cure-cancer-at-lake-macquarie/

As of the 0700 morning sled, it appears that multihulls are in charge. The Egan 9.5 Voodo Spirit has confirmed completed 5 laps, but we think the rocketship Tri "Morticia" is leading the fleet for line honors in the 24 Hour race. They either don't have a working VHF, or are moving too fast to bother responding to our radio sleds, but we have stake boats stationed at each mark, and have multiple reports of volunteers seeing them flying past.

DCMJ, there is a HCW thread on multihull anarchy too, might be better to dual post since there were barely any sporties(and more multis) in this years race.

By the way, thanks for making the effort and coming back year after year for this event.

DCMJ, there is a HCW thread on multihull anarchy too, might be better to dual post since there were barely any sporties(and more multis) in this years race.

By the way, thanks for making the effort and coming back year after year for this event.

Thank you. It's an honor to be here again.

Update:

24 Hour race done. The big Tri Morticia took line honors, having completed more than 7 laps of the lake, and over 248 miles in the race. Handicap scores being sorted now, and awards by about 3pm

Super keen to do this race next year. Genuinely surprised the race is not more popular! Only Cat 5 plus the novelty & adventure of some night racing a lot of people don't get. Can't imagine the top boats are getting much sleep?

Super keen to do this race next year. Genuinely surprised the race is not more popular! Only Cat 5 plus the novelty & adventure of some night racing a lot of people don't get. Can't imagine the top boats are getting much sleep?

Hope you do join us next year!

I remain surprised that local "point race" (or other?) politics for neighbor clubs on the lake get in the way of better participation. When 60 boats in the HCW fleet sail right through another 40 boats racing out of LMYC, it begs the question of who needs to talk to who, to combine the racing for one weekend, even if just the one lap dash on Saturday?

If I lived closer than 9000 mile away, I'd be honored to make the calls, shake the hands and provide the time and energy to bring folks together. In my experience, participation is king, and all it takes is the passion of a single person (or small team of people) to make a huge difference. If we can get 60 boats of all shapes and sizes to enter (in what is essentially a communications vacuum), who knows what the possibilities could be if somebody could step up and simply TALK to other sailors on the lake, and do so with genuine passion about this unique race, and the amazing cause it stands for?

I remain surprised that local "point race" (or other?) politics for neighbor clubs on the lake get in the way of better participation. When 60 boats in the HCW fleet sail right through another 40 boats racing out of LMYC, it begs the question of who needs to talk to who, to combine the racing for one weekend, even if just the one lap dash on Saturday?

So once again you're asking LMYC to change their program to suit this race?

Making the 1 lap procession part of our point score is also thankfully something that will never happen.

so GF( not trying to start an argument,) just interested in why the LMYC (and other local clubs) doesn't support it. is there an issue , history, personality clash.? couldn't the point score skip a week to allow people to enter or average points awarded for paticipants,? not sure why "procession" a race is a race. Can you elaborate.

Its considerably warmer than that here, i'll be passing Pulbah Island on sunday, in the Australia day regatta out of wangi sc, i'll think of you as I sweat it out!

mucho quieter, as Mainsheetgirl would have said, it got all "nicey nice" although many try to keep it on the crooked and tacky road it belongs.Very happy to report there remains many supportive and dedicated folks.

Hope you are getting your boat wet, mine does not get the mooring line dropped as often as it should - but that is what life does to ya - doesn't it..

ML

My Boat unfortunately has been land locked following my pretty lengthy illness.

The HCW reaches a huge milestone next February turning the big 10.....not bad for a race that started its humble life on a flaky hospital wall.

My Boat unfortunately has been land locked following my pretty lengthy illness.

The HCW reaches a huge milestone next February turning the big 10.....not bad for a race that started its humble life on a flaky hospital wall.

Thinking about coming out or retirement for the anniversary edition. Thinking..

Thanks Grumps......I'm pretty proud of it.

Phil, it would be great to see you if you can make it around the 20th of Feb....you to should be proud of how far the HCW has come.

How's Blake going I haven't seen nor heard from him for months?

Yeah, Would be great if we could the other 32's could come out and do a regatta aswell. None of them have been off their trailer at RPA for months and the other 3 don't leave the Harbour.

Thanks Grumps......I'm pretty proud of it.

Phil, it would be great to see you if you can make it around the 20th of Feb....you to should be proud of how far the HCW has come.

How's Blake going I haven't seen nor heard from him for months?

BM's thinking about it too.

Been a while folks but I'm back.

Hcw

Great news Shaun. Good to hear you're on the improve mate. Whod'a thunk HCW would get to 10 years - magnificent work by all concerned. Love to do it one day but doesn't fit in our Vic sailing program right now.

Been a while folks but I'm back.

Hcw

Great news Shaun. Good to hear you're on the improve mate. Whod'a thunk HCW would get to 10 years - magnificent work by all concerned. Love to do it one day but doesn't fit in our Vic sailing program right now.

Yup........10 Years Mate. 7 operations and a lot of grey hairs later it's still the only on water 24 hour torture test in Oz.

What's the latest on the Channel. Thinking of coming down from Newcastle. 2.4m draft.

You should be ok, but will probably bump the bottom in places.

We went in and out on the weekend before Australia Day and skipped over a few high spots on the way out (middle of the tide in the channel). We draw 2.15m.

One the way back in though, the boat bottomed out enough to knock over one of the crew and crack a couple of ribs.

His hands were full of tinnys at the time though!

The worst spot was, again, just past the marina/Marine Rescue at the entrance to Swan Bay. The bottom of the channel seemed to be made of waves of sand 0.6m high, so the depth would go from 0.6 to 0 in a second. That was just after dredging though so it should have flattened out by now.

High tide will be your friend (the channel's about 2.5 hrs after Swansea). You should be ok then unless it's changed much in the last couple of weeks.

Top speed 17.8 on the Melges, was quite surprised to run down the canting farr 36 down wind. First lap was awesome. Hard to say cause they were so far back, but I suspect some of the sports boats closed on us. But whats with RMYC not being open at the end of the 12 hr?

The start on Saturday was sensational, spinnaker start and blast down to Spears Point with upwards of 80 boats in this years HCW. I was on the Eastern Start boat launching the flags which unfortunately made getting pic's somewhat hazardous, anyway I believe Greg Dickens on the Western Start boat got some rippers. Wind was predominately South tending SW at times and gusting to 25/26 knots during Saturday afternoon and stayed with the fleet till quite late evening.

First around the Spears Point mark was Stealthy, Toy story, Easy Tiger II then Two Tribes (Now a Tri), however once around the Toronto mark the Two Tribes took off.

Stealthy broke a spinnaker Halyard, 2 beers then more terminally with rudder problems pulling out near home. The Mumm 30 - 2 Excess had a visit from the "Habibs" delivering hot KFC for dinner, which turned into cold for breakfast.

Wallop parked up behind Fantastique, a huge Cat as the wind died, adding to insult in not being able to pass, Wallop was left to endure the tortuous smell of dinner wafting from the BBQ of the big Cat.

Classic of the race was all of the crashes, broaches, round ups and mishaps were all caught by other boats having there own crashes.

The wind dropped off early morning then filtered back in early to around 15 by race end.

There were numerous sporties in this years OLD race with a Shaw 650 "Barely Legal", a tweeked VX "Reo Speedwagon", Elliot 7's, a Boatspeed 23, a JS9000 however after many years of trying "XRated", a Sonata 8 took home the overall prize for Division 2, "Austral" a Sydney 38 for Line Honors and Div 1.

The funds raised were just shy of $40k, which again is an outstanding effort, kudos to all who made the effort to sail in this event and make the 10th edition awesome.

HCW

Hi Shaun, there's alot wrong with that post. First around Speers was Release the hounds, Stealthy, Easy Tiger 3, Two Tribes, Toy Story.

Results:

http://www.rmyctoronto.com.au/.sucuriquarantine/results/2015_2016/HeavenCanWaitRegatta2016/series.htm

12 Hour Line Honours was Easy Tiger, Wallop, Austral

24 Hour Line Honours was Wallop, Austral, 2Excess

Sorry Rumpig, it doesn't help when some of the boats have black sails and me being a few K's away, sorry.

Honest....I'm not sure when X Rated was launched however when the big Sonata was first launched it was built by Sonata Yachts and called a Sonata 8. It wasn't until David Rose purchased the moulds did it become a Sonata 26. Same boat, just different builder.

Like MASRM 720's, Sonatas were very few in a fixed keel version.

HCW, some one may correct me here,but I believe the sonata 8 was a masthead rig, the 26 is fractional,very underpowered by comparison, just to confuse the issue further there was also a sonata 6, yet another design, looks similar to the 8, both nothing like the 26. He and his crew have put in lots of HCW 24 hour miles/hours to get to this point, a great acheivment.

Anyway back to the thread.

post-61772-0-90036300-1456453597_thumb.jpg

We are still sorting the rig out on REO Speedwagon but happy with 7.5 to 7.8 knots upwind. Top speed downwind was 18.4 with 17.6 knots 10 second average.

Fourth over line in one lap dash just behind JS30 who got us on the leg across from Belmont to Toronto when we could not set the kite as the block for the pole launch had blown up.

Second on handicap behind a TS, not too bad for the third time in the water for the boat.

attachicon.gifLaunching LR.jpg

We are still sorting the rig out on REO Speedwagon but happy with 7.5 to 7.8 knots upwind. Top speed downwind was 18.4 with 17.6 knots 10 second average.

Fourth over line in one lap dash just behind JS30 who got us on the leg across from Belmont to Toronto when we could not set the kite as the block for the pole launch had blown up.

Second on handicap behind a TS, not too bad for the third time in the water for the boat.

Are the traps standard, or were they just added for the HCW? BTW, I wish we could get 7.5 to 7.8 out of the Melges 32 upwind, we must have had outstanding tactics to be so far ahead.

Trap was just for HCW. The gusts knocked a lot off our speed and M32 would be a lot quicker in the light air out of Wangi etc

Are the traps standard, or were they just added for the HCW? BTW, I wish we could get 7.5 to 7.8 out of the Melges 32 upwind, we must have had outstanding tactics to be so far ahead.

You realise who was calling tactics, so you know that isn't a factor :ph34r:

Second on handicap behind a TS, not too bad for the third time in the water

Only way you were doing 7.5 to 7.8 was sailing at 60 degrees plus, and I'll bet you didn't declare that Trapeze

We may have been a bit lower than some but as a 7.2m boat we beat the T8 by 5 minutes, Shaw 650 by 19 minutes and overtook the Stealth 8 before she pulled out!

So our VMG was not too bad upwind. The boat performed the same upwind in the ASBA nationals in a breeze with 4 on the rail as she did with three of us in HCW with one on trap.

Just as the JS30 did not have to declare that they had 6 crew with their feet on the gunwale at full stretch on their hiking racks their was no requirement in the SIs for us to declare that we had a trapeze!

The JS30 sails with 6-7 crew like that every week, so that's what they would have been handicapped for, carrying a trap is a lot different to sailing with people sitting on the gunwhale

When we wrote the original SI's for the OLD (One Lap Dash) we asked participants to nominate whether Traps were to be used however they were outlawed for 24'hour competitors purely from a safety perspective, we have since included a 12 hour.

When I first started the HCW Magic 25's were racing.

You realise who was calling tactics, so you know that isn't a factor :ph34r:

Must have been the driving then.

The original October Long Weekend schedule was something I could do, and the one November event was even better for me, but unfortunately I was running an ocean regatta in Miami this year on HCW weekend, so couldn't manage a trip to the other side of the globe this time.

I'll be watching the 2017 work calendar, and if I get an open week next year, I'll see if I can pull off a trip back to OZ. :D

The original October Long Weekend schedule was something I could do, and the one November event was even better for me, but unfortunately I was running an ocean regatta in Miami this year on HCW weekend, so couldn't manage a trip to the other side of the globe this time.

I'll be watching the 2017 work calendar, and if I get an open week next year, I'll see if I can pull off a trip back to OZ. :D

We should sail!

Hey Tedrules,

How do you think you would have ended up in the ASBA Nat's with correct declaration. ( Now no Bullshitting ) looks like a habit.

He would have been 3rd maxx, from what I've heard he has been asked to do the right thing but has declined and still reckons he won.

Launching LR.jpg

Ha ha ha the old im the fastest cause i have a known 5knots fast reading vx speedo!!!

Would anyone really trust this guy?

Hey Tedrules,

How do you think you would have ended up in the ASBA Nat's with correct declaration. ( Now no Bullshitting ) looks like a habit.

This will be good, love a good Sportsmans like honist answer!!!!

Hey Tedrules

3 Times out, No Truth here!! ASBA regatta 9 races for a start. Looks like Glossing a pig!!!!

Well done to all that participated in this years HCW, OLD, 12 hour and 24 hour. Ultimately we raised $38 k for the NSW Cancer Council and Marine Rescue.

Awesome stufff....HCW.

Entries so far

BOAT NAME DESIGN STATE Long One Lap Dash 12 HR Race 24 Hr Race
2XCESS
Mumm Farr 30 NSW Y Y Y
AUSTRAL
Sydney 38 NSW Y Y Y
EAT DESSERT FIRST
Sprint 750 NSW Y Y
EXCAPADE
Northshore Nxs 38 NSW Y
LADY CHAOS
Jeanneau 36i NSW Y Y Y
PLAN B
Hanse 375 NSW Y
SLINGSHOT
Leech 650 QLD Y
STAMPEDE
Inglis 39 NSW Y Y
VOILA
Jeanneau So349 NSW Y

Anyone need crew for the 24hr race??

Keen to do this race, and have a leave pass!!!!

Looked at Toronto Yacht Club on the weekend but couldn't see anything about crew needed.

what you all missed ...

but doesn't show the lightning strikes and fun rides in 15-20 knots and pitch black!

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎25 at 4:56 AM, Heaven can wait said:

Sorry Rumpig, it doesn't help when some of the boats have black sails and me being a few K's away, sorry.

Honest....I'm not sure when X Rated was launched however when the big Sonata was first launched it was built by Sonata Yachts and called a Sonata 8. It wasn't until David Rose purchased the moulds did it become a Sonata 26. Same boat, just different builder.

Like MASRM 720's, Sonatas were very few in a fixed keel version.

It was launched in 1988 in Melbourne and was sold in 1995. I was the original owner. We called it X-Rated as my partner was a radiographer.

We also added an extra 70 Kg of lead in the keel for extra stability as we were avid 2 handed sailors......a little bit of history.

On 03/10/2017 at 8:07 PM, Kiwi Sailor in Europe said:

It was launched in 1988 in Melbourne and was sold in 1995. I was the original owner. We called it X-Rated as my partner was a radiographer.

We also added an extra 70 Kg of lead in the keel for extra stability as we were avid 2 handed sailors......a little bit of history.

The Masrm 30 X-Rated ex RMYS? If so she was previously owned at Sandringham by Johnny Lindholm and I brokered the sale to you guys for Johnny. I well remember the delivery from SYC up to RMYS after Johnny said there was plenty of diesel and we ran out off Brighton in no wind. Long sail after that. Prior to Johnny she was owned in Melbourne by the Mollison family and raced as "Mossimo" to replace their previous ill fated Inglis 30 Wedgetail that was wrecked on the RMYS breakwater. The Masrm 30 was originally sailed out of RPAYC on Pittwater where she was raced with alloy racks mounted in 2 tubes each side of the hull. Cant remember her original name but I do have a photo of the boat at RPAYC with the original racks around here somewhere. 

Edit: Spunspar Special was her original name!

Brain Fade Alert!

All the above history re the Masrm 30 refers to the boat now called X-It Strategy previously Mossimo and Spunspar Special, not X Rated. I had not been aware of another Masrm 30 in Melbourne at any time.

3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Brain Fade Alert!

All the above history re the Masrm 30 refers to the boat now called X-It Strategy previously Mossimo and Spunspar Special, not X Rated. I had not been aware of another Masrm 30 in Melbourne at any time.

Name history was Spunspar Special, Mossimo, Dr Unc (for J Lindholm), then X-It Strategy back at RMYS.