Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shootist Jeff

The Charleston shooting gun control thread

The good people of South Carolina get to pay for Mr. Roof's mental screening, now. If he had to pay for it before he chose to kill nine people in their church, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

To answer the first question, I'd want to ask someone like soak-ed whether those in his business can really "screen" for crazy. If they can, I'd say such people shouldn't be allowed to vote or own guns. We don't want psychopaths choosing our leaders, do we?

There's a whole thread devoted to answering your second question about the costs of gun violence. In typically classy fashion, they call suicides "gun violence" to inflate the numbers. I think that's a buncha malarkey.

Yes you can but there are a lot of factors involved. "Fucking nuts" is easy. If people are hearing voices, talking to aliens and getting answers, have grandiose, totally unrealistic plans and things like that, it isn't hard to figure out something is wrong. For more quiet crazy people the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) is the gold standard. It is quite long, more than 500 questions and requires a trained person to administer it and a trained psychologist to interpret the results but it can fairly accurately reveal a lot of psycho-pathologies that aren't always obvious. But nobody is going to use that to screen large numbers of people. The other problem is, insane is usually easy to identify but personality disorders are not. People who are insane by definition are not in contact with reality full time and cannot tell right from wrong. People with personality disorders can be quite rational but quite disturbed. Your classic antisocial (in the extreme-psychopaths) types like Ted Bundy are usually quite charming, great liars and don't have an ounce of concern or compassion for other people. Many serial killers have this type of psycho-pathology. Often you don't know how bad they are until they are caught because they are so charming. Other types of personality disorders are sometimes equally hard to detect. It is difficult to lock people up involuntarily for evaluation, they have to be clearly a danger to themselves or others. Often this is only apparent after they have done something. Somebody mentioned privacy issues, that is a major concern too. So the answer is mental health screening sounds nice but is almost impossible to do effectively and cheaply.

My guess is the Charleston shooter is a bit delusional, somewhat antisocial, has strong feelings of inadequacy and probably a loner. What made him that way, who knows. I think he definitely is not insane.

So what does your guess tell us about Sol's hypothetical above? If the "damned gunowner" as jocal refers to us had to pay for his mental health screening, do you think we would have had a different outcome?

For purposes of answering that question, assume the damn gunowner has no trouble paying for it, so the exam requirement would not mean regressive effects on the exercise of the right to purchase guns by poor people. But that does bring up a related question. How much do you think the damn gunowner would be paying for each such screening? And how long would it be "good" for?

You are a racist for suggesting that poor black people have to pay for their own mental health screenings. Its just another ploy by the man to keep guns out of the negro's hands lest they rise up against whitey.

Come to think of it..... that pretty much makes specious ed and jocal rabid racists as well.

I'm not sure Stormy Reb was crazy. I think he was evil, but not nuts. Lanza was nuts. Holmes is nuts. But this reb is just your typical right wing racist. I don't think typical right wing racists should be allowed to buy guns.

We need to keep guns out of the hands of the nuts. My approach will do that.

What approach is that? I asked you to specifically outline how this happens and how it's paid for. I anxiously await your non-cunt non-troll response.

I know you already know, and only ask because you are being an ignorant cunt.

Its my three legged stool plan.

Universal background checks.

Mental Health screening to qualify for ownership, alternately maintain a no-buy list.

Registration of all weapons.

My plan will solve the problem, and maintain your second amendment rights. You already agree with two points of it.

I do? Which two?

And furthermore I asked you to specifically tell me how it works and how its paid for. Simply listing talking points tells me nothing about how they actually work. For instance, at the beginning of this thread I specifically asked you how your scheme prevents to the charleston shooting. UBGCs? Nope. Registration? Nope. Mental health screening? Maybe, so tell me how your plan implements that?

If you need to google the definition of "specifically", I'll wait......

I'm not sure Stormy Reb was crazy. I think he was evil, but not nuts. Lanza was nuts. Holmes is nuts. But this reb is just your typical right wing racist. I don't think typical right wing racists should be allowed to buy guns.

How about other racists? Are they safe?

We had a method to identify a dangerous racist and put him on a list, wouldn't have been able to buy his weapon because of a universal background check, the seller of which being forced to be responsible due to the gun being registered to him.

We do? Pray tell, what method was that?

And let me help you out since you seem a bit confused..... he already passed a BGC. That didn't stop him from buying his weapon. And he didn't buy from a private seller, so the "U" part of your BGC would have been irrelevant. I realize the facts of this case are inconvenient to your narrative, but you can't keep parroting the same shit and expected folks not to call you on it.

You want UBC. You want mental health screenings. You just can't come to terms with the key element to make it all work, registration.

Part of a meaningful background check would be to eliminate any candidate who has been arrested and is waiting for trial. Stormy was waiting to face the court on a drug violation. Yet he passed his background check. There are a plethora of personal events that should flag a NO when doing the background check.

We had a method to identify a dangerous racist and put him on a list, wouldn't have been able to buy his weapon because of a universal background check, the seller of which being forced to be responsible due to the gun being registered to him.

And let me help you out since you seem a bit confused..... he already passed a BGC. That didn't stop him from buying his weapon. And he didn't buy from a private seller, so the "U" part of your BGC would have been irrelevant. I realize the facts of this case are inconvenient to your narrative, but you can't keep parroting the same shit and expected folks not to call you on it.

The NSA has been recording the internet for years. It wouldn't take too much effort to data mine and flush out those who post things that can be determined dangerous. Like Stormy. You should hope they don't key on the word cunt.

You want UBC. You want mental health screenings. You just can't come to terms with the key element to make it all work, registration.

Part of a meaningful background check would be to eliminate any candidate who has been arrested and is waiting for trial. Stormy was waiting to face the court on a drug violation. Yet he passed his background check. There are a plethora of personal events that should flag a NO when doing the background check.

Are you talking to me? If so, where have I ever said I want mental health screenings? I'm pretty sure in the past I have said I would like "adjudicated dangerous mental health issues" to be included in BGC information.

Hey FHe - why do you hate the US Constitution so much? Just in this thread, you've not only trashed the 2A, but pretty much the rest of the BoRs as well. Sadly, I don't even think you realize it. If you weren't so stupid, your writings would almost qualify you as one of those "domestic enemies" many of us have taken oaths against. Just sayin.....

Racist, yes. But what makes you think he's right wing?

I'm not aware of any right wingers standing on an American flag. The only Americans I can think of are black racists like Islamist Eric Sheppard at Valdosta walking all over it and Weather Underground Marxist terrorist Bill Ayers standing on it.

They all wanted to kill people. And they all have manifestos. Ever read Ayers' Prairie Fire?

The NSA has been recording the internet for years. It wouldn't take too much effort to data mine and flush out those who post things that can be determined dangerous. Like Stormy. You should hope they don't key on the word cunt.

There's another one. Check. I'm pretty sure I'm not the one the NSA is worried about. Besides, I think they would pretty much agree with my assessment of you.....

Its my three legged stool plan.

Universal background checks.

Mental Health screening to qualify for ownership, alternately maintain a no-buy list.

Registration of all weapons.

My plan will solve the problem, and maintain your second amendment rights. You already agree with two points of it.

And furthermore I asked you to specifically tell me how it works and how its paid for. Simply listing talking points tells me nothing about how they actually work. For instance, at the beginning of this thread I specifically asked you how your scheme prevents to the charleston shooting. UBGCs? Nope. Registration? Nope. Mental health screening? Maybe, so tell me how your plan implements that?

If you need to google the definition of "specifically", I'll wait......

Why won't FHe answer this question? Here, maybe this will help.

Where did FHe go? He was just here a moment ago???

Where did FHe go? He was just here a moment ago???

Probably on a conference call with JokeAwf....

Are you talking to me? If so, where have I ever said I want mental health screenings? I'm pretty sure in the past I have said I would like "adjudicated dangerous mental health issues" to be included in BGC information.

Hey FHe - why do you hate the US Constitution so much? Just in this thread, you've not only trashed the 2A, but pretty much the rest of the BoRs as well. Sadly, I don't even think you realize it. If you weren't so stupid, your writings would almost qualify you as one of those "domestic enemies" many of us have taken oaths against. Just sayin.....

Do you think right wing racists should be able to get the guns they need to correct the errors of their countrymen?

Racist, yes. But what makes you think he's right wing?

I'm not aware of any right wingers standing on an American flag. The only Americans I can think of are black racists like Islamist Eric Sheppard at Valdosta walking all over it and Weather Underground Marxist terrorist Bill Ayers standing on it.

They all wanted to kill people. And they all have manifestos. Ever read Ayers' Prairie Fire?

He got his marching orders from the Council of Conservative Citizens.

Do you think right wing racists should be able to get the guns they need to correct the errors of their countrymen?

I believe in the Constitution.

Do you think domestic terrorists have constitutional rights?

Once they are tried and convicted of domestic terrorism - no. Up until that point, yes.

Why do you hate your country so much, FHe?

Once they are tried and convicted of domestic terrorism - no. Up until that point, yes.

So you don't want to stop domestic terrorism?

So you don't want to stop domestic terrorism?

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God

I thought you were agnostic. How do you swear to God and mean it?

Weak sauce diversion. So are you going to bother answering my question in post #103?

When taking that oath, the last sentence is optional. Have you never taken that oath?

When taking that oath, the last sentence is optional. Have you never taken that oath?

Given that FHe seemingly hates the Constitution, I'm betting not....

After reading SE's posts on stopping Americans that he doesn't like from getting their constitutionally protected arms. I now understand exactly why the second amendment was created

After reading SE's posts on stopping Americans that he doesn't like from getting their constitutionally protected arms. I now understand exactly why the second amendment was created

Yep, those old guys were pretty damn smart. And I have have no doubt that Adams, Jefferson and others had their own Joke-awfs and FHe's to deal with.

It just dawned on me.

It must have been all that airplane glue that messed up his mind.

It just dawned on me.

It must have been all that airplane glue that messed up his mind.

Hey.......I built a lot of plastic models while I was growing up and...............no wait.....never mind.

The good people of South Carolina get to pay for Mr. Roof's mental screening, now. If he had to pay for it before he chose to kill nine people in their church, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

To answer the first question, I'd want to ask someone like soak-ed whether those in his business can really "screen" for crazy. If they can, I'd say such people shouldn't be allowed to vote or own guns. We don't want psychopaths choosing our leaders, do we?

There's a whole thread devoted to answering your second question about the costs of gun violence. In typically classy fashion, they call suicides "gun violence" to inflate the numbers. I think that's a buncha malarkey.

Yes you can but there are a lot of factors involved. "Fucking nuts" is easy. If people are hearing voices, talking to aliens and getting answers, have grandiose, totally unrealistic plans and things like that, it isn't hard to figure out something is wrong. For more quiet crazy people the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) is the gold standard. It is quite long, more than 500 questions and requires a trained person to administer it and a trained psychologist to interpret the results but it can fairly accurately reveal a lot of psycho-pathologies that aren't always obvious. But nobody is going to use that to screen large numbers of people. The other problem is, insane is usually easy to identify but personality disorders are not. People who are insane by definition are not in contact with reality full time and cannot tell right from wrong. People with personality disorders can be quite rational but quite disturbed. Your classic antisocial (in the extreme-psychopaths) types like Ted Bundy are usually quite charming, great liars and don't have an ounce of concern or compassion for other people. Many serial killers have this type of psycho-pathology. Often you don't know how bad they are until they are caught because they are so charming. Other types of personality disorders are sometimes equally hard to detect. It is difficult to lock people up involuntarily for evaluation, they have to be clearly a danger to themselves or others. Often this is only apparent after they have done something. Somebody mentioned privacy issues, that is a major concern too. So the answer is mental health screening sounds nice but is almost impossible to do effectively and cheaply.

My guess is the Charleston shooter is a bit delusional, somewhat antisocial, has strong feelings of inadequacy and probably a loner. What made him that way, who knows. I think he definitely is not insane.

So what does your guess tell us about Sol's hypothetical above? If the "damned gunowner" as jocal refers to us had to pay for his mental health screening, do you think we would have had a different outcome?

For purposes of answering that question, assume the damn gunowner has no trouble paying for it, so the exam requirement would not mean regressive effects on the exercise of the right to purchase guns by poor people. But that does bring up a related question. How much do you think the damn gunowner would be paying for each such screening? And how long would it be "good" for?

You are a racist for suggesting that poor black people have to pay for their own mental health screenings. Its just another ploy by the man to keep guns out of the negro's hands lest they rise up against whitey.

Well, maybe it would be less racist of government paid for the screenings. We're probably only talking a billion or so per year.

I guess to avoid being racist, the government should also provide transportation to and from the screening sessions. Can't be more than a few hundred million per year at most.

Paying people back for the time they must spend off work in order to secure their rights is a tougher question and would probably be a much larger amount of money.

I thought you had me on ignore?

And don't you want to keep guns out of the hands of Americans like Lanza and Stormy? Or are you ok with them exercising their 2nd amendment rights!

I thought you had me on ignore?

And don't you want to keep guns out of the hands of Americans like Lanza and Stormy? Or are you ok with them exercising their 2nd amendment rights!

Is this guy like Lanza and Stormy?

Modern thinking says it's okay for black people to incite race war and kill white people.

Someone tell Eddie that he is on ignore, but when his posts are copied.... His stupidity is on display for all.

There's another thread that's hilarious. I can only see a couple of the people posting. Disappointed when one of those quotes.

Yes indeed, because neither of those things are disqualifying factors, any more than being a member of the Black Panthers would be. You're getting real close to thought police territory here Specious.

Alright, show of hands here.

How many of you guys are slave masters ?

My car has a master cylinder and 4 slave cylinders. What does that make me?

Yes indeed, because neither of those things are disqualifying factors, any more than being a member of the Black Panthers would be. You're getting real close to thought police territory here Specious.

Yes, Guy, he is. (I've been wanting this overall mental evaluation subject discussed for some time.)

Spatial Ed: Do you think right wing racists should be able to get the guns they need to correct the errors of their countrymen?

The Southern Poverty Law Center found seven right-wing incidents per year, over a period of seventeen years.

The stunning details of these 112 documented incidents were something like this:

Tom Ray, on 23 May 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

The line about my poor nation-building ability made my day.

Didn't think I'd ever get a compliment from Jocal. I doubt he realizes I take it that way.

aa%20insurrection%20philosophy_zpsoaijzh

A guy with no disc brakes.

112 cases in 17 YEARS??

Those southern folks need to look into Detroit and Chicago.

Master Cylinder? .....

Yes, Guy, he is. (I've been wanting this overall mental evaluation subject discussed for some time.)

Spatial Ed: Do you think right wing racists should be able to get the guns they need to correct the errors of their countrymen?

The Southern Poverty Law Center found seven right-wing incidents per year, over a period of seventeen years.

The stunning details of these 112 documented incidents were something like this:

Tom Ray, on 23 May 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

The line about my poor nation-building ability made my day.

Didn't think I'd ever get a compliment from Jocal. I doubt he realizes I take it that way.

aa%20insurrection%20philosophy_zpsoaijzh

Utlimate irony. Individual rights dependant on a device used to take away all the rights of others.

This thread needs Jeffie pics.

(#3 of 7)robert-yager-la-gang-gun-baby_zpsw6wtfa7

<SNIP>

Utlimate irony. Individual rights dependant on a device used to take away all the rights of others.

Irony? Not at all. That you see it as such positively identifies you as an individual who is unwilling to accept self determination, and the responsibility to properly exercise that self determination. That's OK if you enjoy being a subject - most of us here? We kinda like to figure things out for ourselves.

Except when everyone falls into lock step behind some liars to kill innocent people in other countries ... no questions asked. Years fucking later, all these people who supposedly think for them selves ask, Why the fuck did we do that?

Yeah right, I get what you are saying, sort of.

Yep, those old guys were pretty damn smart. And I have have no doubt that Adams, Jefferson and others had their own Joke-awfs and FHe's to deal with.

Such second amendment arguments (constitutionally protected arms) are a modern fantasy, since emphasis on them is absent from pertinent historical record. Real constitutional scholars and real historians didn't agree with Ashcroft, or Scalia.

Diversity was in play in the 1880's, too. Hamilton had his Tom Rays to deal with, and lamented them in Federalist 29:

There is a striking incoherence in the objections which have appeared, and sometimes even from the same quarter, not much calculated to inspire a very favorable opinion of the sincerity or fair dealing of their authors. The same persons who tell us in one breath, that the powers of the federal government will be despotic and unlimited, inform us in the next, that it has not authority sufficient even to call out the POSSE COMITATUS. The latter, fortunately, is as much short of the truth as the former exceeds it...What reason could there be to infer, that force was intended to be the sole instrument of authority, merely because there is a power to make use of it when necessary? What shall we think of the motives which could induce men of sense to reason in this manner?

Just shut the fuck up already and go deal with the criminal thug fuks in Oakland, Detroit, Chicago and D.C.....

A caliper technically contains a slave cylinder.

Not on a Lincoln . . .

Not on a Lincoln . . .

Cable operated?

In automotive engineering, the master cylinder is a control device that converts non-hydraulic pressure (commonly from a driver's foot) into hydraulic pressure. This device controls slave cylinders located at the other end of the hydraulic system.

I didn't want to hijack Sol's Charleston shooting thread with more gun vs anti-gun BS out of respect for the victims. ...

But what if respect for the victims demands that their deaths be used to advance gun control?

If discussing gun tragedies after they happen is poor form, when should they be discussed?

Tom, you in particular, are deaf to the tragedy in between mass shootings.

You become glib, almost giddy, as the REAL damage, the daily damage occurs.

You use silly arguments and distractions, while dancing about to dodge the issues.

It's not like you and your gun buddies are aware during gun crises, either.

Within a week after Sandy Hook, you were promising your stream DGU links.

Shameless shit, all over the place.

Mr. Kelly is correct, IMO, because you need your pointed ears pinned back in ALL timeframes.

I didn't want to hijack Sol's Charleston shooting thread with more gun vs anti-gun BS out of respect for the victims. ...

But what if respect for the victims demands that their deaths be used to advance gun control?

If discussing gun tragedies after they happen is poor form, when should they be discussed?

You use silly arguments and distractions, while dancing about to dodge the issues.

Mr. Kelly is correct, IMO, because you need your pointed ears pinned back in ALL timeframes.

So when are we going sailing with your mom?

So when are we going sailing with your mom?

Wow. You would be SO invited. She would be proud of me in these discussions...except for any blue-collar cuss words. She is long gone, Tom, DTS. And we seven siblings will bury our pop today.

He had your elk and Wyatt Earp pegged fifty years ago...he once suggested I get to know a gun believer like you, said I wouldn't believe the values in play. He was correct. May he RIP.

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.....

Bottom line. This week we learned that neither the laws written by Congress nor the Constitution mean shit to 5 black-robed priests. They've nullified the 10th, and I am pretty sure that the 2A will be next.

Bottom line. This week we learned that neither the laws written by Congress nor the Constitution mean shit to 5 black-robed priests. They've nullified the 10th, and I am pretty sure that the 2A will be next.

It's really only four on the left. Odd that the question of how those four will vote on anything is rarely, if ever, in doubt.

Registration, background checks and mental health screenings. The three legged stool approach would have prevented this.

Exactly how would a mental health screening have prevented this? What would constitute not passing?

Bugger off, Rick.

Bugger off, Rick.

I thought you lived in the states jocal.

Bugger off, Rick.

Why? Everyone here but your two boy friends Down Under know that you're fuking nut-fuck fuking crazy, and that it's just a matter of time before that gun that you own is gonna make you snap one day and start shooting people. So it's really time that you see what we see and seek some professional help asap. Before you self murderate yourself----or kill your wife....

Bugger off, Rick.

Why? Everyone here but your two boy friends Down Under know that you're fuking nut-fuck fuking crazy, and that it's just a matter of time before that gun that you own is gonna make you snap one day and start shooting people. So it's really time that you see what we see and seek some professional help asap. Before you self murderate yourself----or kill your wife....

I fully support jocal's right to self-murderation.... preferably before he kills someone else.

It's ok Booze, you can come out now. I always suspected that your abusive bravado was a cover for something, just wasn't sure what. Now it's all coming into focus. NTTAWWT.

52.jpg

Getting back to the civil rights under discussion in this thread...

The Washington Post Corporation $peak$

This article is titled as "The Post's View" and "By Editorial Board" so it's certainly nothing to do with freedom of the pre$$. That's a right protected for natural persons by our first amendment, not something we should just give to evil for-profit corporations. Or so I've heard.

Ummm, back once again to the actual thread topic:

IN A chilling photo on a Web site, accused murderer and racist Dylann Roof stares into the camera while holding a Confederate flag. Since he allegedly shot nine African American worshipers to death at a historic Charleston, S.C., church, the country has been wrapped in debate about what the old battle flag symbolizes and whether it should be displayed anywhere outside a museum.

Yet Mr. Roof has something in his other hand that the country should be more focused on: a handgun.

“At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency,” President Obama said.

That point should be now.

Before jumping to that point, it might be a good idea to read the thread debunking that particular lie by Obama.

...Mass shootings draw attention to the nation’s relationship with guns. They should spur us to action because they demonstrate the easy, efficient horror that guns are capable of inflicting, and they make us wonder about permissive gun policies. But Mr. Roof is not the real face of gun violence in the United States. Gun violence is an everyday problem that has many faces: Abusive husbands who fly off the handle; kids who accidentally shoot their friends — or themselves — while playing with their parents’ weapons; criminals who find it too easy to get illegal guns.

Public policy can’t prevent every gun death. But it can do a lot more than it is now: make it harder for the mentally ill, family abusers or criminals to obtain and keep firearms; crack down on gun trafficking; require proper gun storage; and reconsider laws that seem to encourage people to use guns in situations they consider threatening....

Most of the violence seems to take the form of self-murders.

As for the last part, the mentally ill seem to be even harder to identify than the pre$$ but they are right about that final bit. SYG laws are wrong for the same reason the death penalty is wrong: you should not kill if there is another option.

Bugger off, Rick.

Why? Because it is 100% ad hominem.

A person whom you insist is a nut case can present dozens of evidence-based arguments showing the benefits of gun control, and the negatives of weak gun laws. And all you and your friends can do is claim the person is crazy, suicidal, abusive to his wife, plays bad music, etc.

As the years roll on, your base of cruelty and invective become self-apparent.

Dude, you are the most dumbed-down in your crowd of not-so-bright gun lovers.