Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorado

Trevor Moore: MIA

This doesn't sound good.

(CNN)An Olympic sailor is missing after his boat was found Thursday night near a Miami marina.

The U.S. Coast Guard was called Thursday after Olympian Trevor Moore's unmanned dinghy drifted into the Dinner Key Marina.

Officials are certain Moore was on board before encountering some type of distress, Lt. Cmdr. Gabe Somma of the Coast Guard's 7th District told CNN.

"We know Moore was on the dinghy from personal items we found on board."

Agencies are scouring the area by boat and helicopter to find the sailor, Somma said.

Moore finished 15th in the 2012 Olympic Games in the 49er class event -- a two-person team race in a high-performance dinghy similar to a small sailboat.

He graduated from New York's Hobart and William Smith Colleges in 2007, according to his Team USA profile.

Moore splits his time living in North Pomfret, Vermont, and Naples, Florida, the site said.

150626144401-trevor-moore-exlarge-169.jp

this does not sound good at all. we will include Trevor in our prayers from this end. the best we can do from here.

damn, we have followed trevor for many years as we have a house in Florida near where he's from. sounds like a long shot, but i sure hope they find him soon. thoughts and prayers

Trevor, we're coming buddy! Please meet tomorrow at 7:30 am at pier 5 at dinner key marina in coconut grove to help in the search and rescue effort for our missing friend. We need boats and eyeballs. Also bring sunscreen, hats, binoculars, VHF radios and cell phones with full batteries. Backup phone batteries are a plus. Today was 14 hours on the water, prepare accordingly.

https://www.facebook.com/rynne?fref=ts

Prayers for you , and i'm not the praying type.

This does not sound good, but here's hoping and praying (which is a rarity for me) that there's a happy outcome

I learned to sail in CG and sailed there for 40 years.

I afraid this won't have a happy ending.

I learned to sail in CG and sailed there for 40 years.

I afraid this won't have a happy ending.

Thanks for contributing.

Any reports/updates from today?

If I were within striking distance I'd be down there, unfortunately all I can do from here is hope and pray that this all ends well.

All the most positive and best thoughts from the Canadian 49er fleet.

Trevor, we love you, please don't leave us now. We know that you're a fighter and survivor. Don't give up buddy.

Clean please keep us up to date.

Thoughts for him, family and friends.

I've known Trevor since he was a kid growing up on Cape Cod @ H.Y.C. Trevor's from a family of sailors If anyone could make it out of the water that would be him. So I'm guessing he needs the help of anyone available around the area of Dinner Key Miami.Godspeed!

Considering the high water temp and trevor's fitness level, no reason to lose hope for a good ending yet

On Thursday, Moore, a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic sailing team, was reported missing when security personnel at Dinner Key Marina, Miami, found his unmanned 16-foot boat at the marina just before 6 p.m. The boats engine was running and Moores personal belongs were found

OK, so....

ALWAYS WEAR THE FUCKING KILL CORD.

I know that especially in the Olympic coaching fraternity, they're a bit too cool for school for mundanities like that, but it's incredibly fucking stupid not to.

The point of my earlier post was there are a lot of places around that area where you can just wade to shore.

Strange, there are spoil islands around there but I'm sure they have been searched.

This is pretty heart wrenching, I wish I could do something about it.

The point of my earlier post was there are a lot of places around that area where you can just wade to shore.

Strange, there are spoil islands around there but I'm sure they have been searched.

I read somewhere that the gps they found in the boat showed the track going from the sailing center out near Soldier Key in a pretty straight shot, then zig-zagging back toward the Grove. Lots of ground to cover there, but with an onshore breeze and good conditions, there should be a sign somewhere. Gut wrenching indeed.

Sol,

Do you know what the weather was like at the time he went missing?

Afternoon thunderstorm are real likely in June on Biscayne Bay. I always set out the June BBYRA race as we almost always got blasted by one.

The bay should be real clear, this time of year.

The whole community is in shock down here, very tragic loss.

I was on the water on Thursday 9 am- 7:30 pm and had to get towed in doing a lesson. Breeze was about 6-8 all day until 6 and then it simply died. Nothing, bay was glass. Didn't rain here until yesterday. Bay was completely flat.

Prayers are with his Fiancee and family. Godspeed Trevor.

plenty of searching still going on...head to Coconut Grove YC if you're remotely close to assist with the search.

He's not MIA.

So what is he then??

Missing.

MIA = Missing In Action

Seriously? A post about a sailor possibly perishing isn't above SA crap about acronyms? Some respect please.

I'm confused by differing media reports:

"Security at Dinner Key in Coconut Grove found his 16-foot boat at the marina just before 6 p.m. The boat's engine was running and Moore's belongings were onboard."

"The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is leading the investigation into Moore's disappearance.

"At some point during his journey something must have happened because the boat came back to the marina, was found kind of tied up in some mooring lines without anyone on board," Liz Barraco of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission."

And one site implies this was the boat he was on without accreditation:

post-452-0-01863400-1435613678_thumb.jpg

Note the LEO at the bow of the boat. I bring this up because I hope the searchers have looked in all the possible places; including in and around the marina where the dinghy (major RIB?) was found. It scares me because years ago a marina acquaintance went out in his dinghy and disappeared with the dinghy back at the dock at night, poorly tied up with the engine idling. Turns out he had a major diabetic coma event, got back to shore in a crazed state and crawled under some bushes a mile away. S&R found him two days later, barely saved his life.

Seriously? A post about a sailor possibly perishing isn't above SA crap about acronyms? Some respect please.

You're talking about Jammer so good luck.

He's not MIA.

So what is he then??

Missing.

MIA = Missing In Action

Yes, that was precisely my point.

He's not MIA.

No disrespect meant towards anyone, but if he's not MIA, then WTF is he???

We surely hope he is found safe somewhere nearby. We have lost more than a few good friends to mishaps like this and feel deeply for the family and friends.....

Jammer is the village idiot. It's as simple as that. He has never posted anything relative to sailing.

The last thing we need in this post at this time is sarcastic humor.

He's not MIA.

Now we're going backwards. Go back to post 27.

Beginning to think that Bob is right, you are nothing more than a troll.....................

He's not MIA.

Beginning to think that Bob is right, you are nothing more than a troll.....................

Jammer is being a _____ (fill in the blank however) in making the distinction between the military definition of MIA and just plain missing. But he refuses to spell it out and instead is being a distraction in a topic about a fellow sailor who is missing.

He's not MIA.

You wonder why nobody will let you into their yacht club, fuckstick. Fuck you.

Has anyone heard any updates? Not trying to gawk, just a concerned sailor hoping for the best.

Thoughts go out to Trevor's family and friends

We'd have a much better chance of that if you'd fuck off - permanently.

We'd have a much better chance of that if you'd fuck off - permanently.

I second your motion; and I call the question, for a vote on the floor!

Something happened to me, many years ago, in the same area where they believe Trevor went missing.

I was snorkeling near Soldier Key and lost track of where skiff was. The current, on the outgoing tide, just ribs through that area. Before I realized it, I was 200 yards down current, from the boat and being sweep out of the bay. No way to swim against the current.

Lucky for me there was someone in the boat and they picked me up.

bump for trevor.

I am slightly confused. Was the boat found floating or tied up at the dock?

If it is the latter, the search would seem to be a land search as well.

I am slightly confused. Was the boat found floating or tied up at the dock?

If it is the latter, the search would seem to be a land search as well.

The reports aren't completely clear but I think that RIB may have (presumably without Trevor aboard) slowly drifted or motored back to shore and got tangled in another boats mooring or dock lines, that the RIB got caught up in the lines rather than deliberately tied up.

Maybe it's just me mr shoes but could you use a sock puppet for this thread??

I know you mean no evil but ....

Well ... It's just wrong somehow

Words can not describe the sympathy for those who knew him well. I only met him a handful of times, but as a young and wide-eyed aspiring skiff sailor he was an inspiration and help. I still like to watch the video of he and Erik powering upwind in the Melbourne ISAF world cup regatta - leading the racer right up until the rudder pin sheared. In any event, watching him work the living shit out of the main in concert with the helm is just great fun to watch. I met him for the first time at 29er/49er worlds in the Bahamas and he helped my skipper and I out tremendously with tips and letting us borrow tools that we didnt bring with us. He will be sorely missed in the sailing community.

https://youtu.be/r2az1xMu10g?t=29m13s

This doesn't really matter, but I take this thread extremely seriously. Everyone posting has hundreds and more have thousands of posts, I would like to assure you that I am no bodies "sock puppet" if you are referring to me. If not, sorry for the mistake.

This doesn't really matter, but I take this thread extremely seriously. Everyone posting has hundreds and more have thousands of posts, I would like to assure you that I am no bodies "sock puppet" if you are referring to me. If not, sorry for the mistake.

He was talking to Cement Shoes. Pay attention.

He was talking to Cement Shoes. Pay attention.

I know. I was looking at the number of posts on everyone else's accounts and couldn't conceive someone using a burner account with that many posts. I assumed that I was considered the puppet with my newbie 12 posts. Just want to keep it clear.