• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hockle

Russian billionaire builds largest sailing yacht in world

464 posts in this topic

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102795873

Russian billionaire Andrey Melnichenko is building what is believed to be the largest sailing yacht ever built, at a length of more than 480 feet.

The boat has been shrouded in secrecy ever since work began in 2012. Yet new photos of the ship, called "White Pearl," have started to emerge on TheYachtPhoto.com and on SuperYachtTimes.com.

According to yacht workers in Germany familiar with the project, the ship will be around 147 meters, or 482 feet. That would easily surpass the 96-meter "Sea Cloud"— built in the 1930s—and the 289-foot "Maltese Falcon," built by Silicon Valley venture-capitalist Tom Perkins and launched in 2006.

Melnichenko, a Russian billionaire who made his fortune from banking, steel and fertilizer, couldn't be reached for comment.

"White Pearl" would be his second ground-breaking megayacht.Melnichenko also built the motor-yacht named "A"—a sleek, modernist 394-feet ship that has become one of the most photographed and popular in the world. Along with its widely copied knife-like hull, "A" has an interior filled with advanced technology and security systems, Baccarat crystal and gleaming white finishes.

Yet "White Pearl," being built by Nobiskrug shipyard in Kiel, Germany,is expected to be even more jaw-dropping. According to workers familiar with the project, the ship will have a soaring, open atrium that will rise to three stories. It will also have a massive swimming pool and a design scheme that, in some sections, will be reminiscent of "Pirates of the Caribbean."

The combined mass of the sails will be larger than a football field and the mast system, which appears to be made up of three masts, will be made of super lightweight, high-strength carbon fiber, these people said. It will have a crew of 66 people.

" 'White Pearl' will make 'A' look like a dinghy," one yacht worker said.

It's unclear how much the ship will cost. But since "A" cost more than $300 million, it's safe to say "White Pearl" will also be nine figures.

102796381-WhitePearlCarlGroll043r.530x29

Looks like it'll be pretty ungainly for a "sailing yacht." But then the Maltese Falcon didn't have classic sailing yacht good looks either.

147-metre-sailing-yacht-white-pearl-in-c

Looks like it'll be pretty ungainly for a "sailing yacht." But then the Maltese Falcon didn't have classic sailing yacht good looks either.

I dunno, I think setting aside the rig, Maltese Falcon is very proportional and pretty.

I dunno, I think setting aside the rig, Maltese Falcon is very proportional and pretty.

The 88m Maltese Falcon is better looking than White Pearl IF what I'd imagine from the pics turns out to be in the ballpark. I would think they could scale up something like the 70m Vertigo which still looks like a very good looking "sailing yacht" IMHO. Too each his/her own.

vertigo.jpg

The real interesting thing for me was the picture of the three masts on the barge. If I'm looking at it correctly they bend forwards (as in inverse to every other mast I've ever looked at).

Fixed

Just proof yet again, that money doesn't buy good taste.

Fixed

I was trying to be diplomatic, but I agree. It looks like a power yacht with masts as an afterthought?

The falcon looked like the Pierini shitter she was. Remember, that hull was a hand-me-down project, sitting bare for a long time before Perkins got interested. The rig was the interesting part of it, especially so when i learned the inside details from their long time 'sparmaster' and SA'er with the initials CT.

He is, incidentally, now running Perkins' current project, motoring to the world's great deep reefs and doing deep submarine videography.

Fixed

I was trying to be diplomatic, but I agree. It looks like an ugly power yacht with masts as an afterthought?

Fixed.

Yes Andrey yours will be the biggest but will it be able to sail in the Fourth Mode?

As well as being the biggest sailboat that will also demonstrate that he is the worlds biggest greedy, dickless asshole.

These days it appears that money does buy bad, vulgar taste. Almost makes one wish for the days of the British aristocracy and their understatement.

Almost.

Why so much hate among money.... lest's see final

" advanced technology and security systems" - because you know, the Banking, Steel & Fertilizer "business" is kinda rough...

Wonder if the security systems include some of those neat SAM missiles that can knock down airliners ?

Yeah, some just can't stand that somebody else has several semi trailers full of money. I don't have a problem with it. But if the guy's gonna spend one of those semi loads on a boat, I would prefer he bring something beautiful into the world, not a smallish cruise liner with masts in the place of funnels. It's his money though; so if he wants ugly, that's his perogative.

Life is too short to build ugly boats, especially if you are filthy rich!

He's just designing in an excuse to build the next one. "We might as well build a new one honey, this one just didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped."

Why so much hate among money.... lest's see final

Who hated on money? It's pretty ugly for a sailing yacht, that all...

I agree. I used to think it was fugly until I saw it a few times. I still prefer the 150ish foot custom sloop jobs, but it's not as bad as one would think.

Life is too short to build ugly boats, especially if you are filthy rich!

He's just designing in an excuse to build the next one. "We might as well build a new one honey, this one just didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped."

If it doesn't turn out as he hoped he can always rename it the "White Elephant". I'm thinking from the preliminary pictures that might be a better name for it.

I am not jealous about all of his money but if you are that rich and that clueless about how to spend your money then it is game on sucker.

I agree. I used to think it was fugly until I saw it a few times. I still prefer the 150ish foot custom sloop jobs, but it's not as bad as one would think.

Umm, were you drunk when you saw it?

" advanced technology and security systems" - because you know, the Banking, Steel & Fertilizer "business" is kinda rough...

Wonder if the security systems include some of those neat SAM missiles that can knock down airliners ?

Somebody needs to call Bond. James Bond.

Never, ever, underestimate the lengths rich people will go to please themselves.

Picture of said russian billionaire

directv-russian-with-mini-giraffe-commer

Nice clothes, very 1974 JC Penny.

The real interesting thing for me was the picture of the three masts on the barge. If I'm looking at it correctly they bend forwards (as in inverse to every other mast I've ever looked at).

I don't think so. I'm told that those hideous cones at the mast head point forward. You heard it here first.

modern junk - in every sense.

Someone had to say it...

What's it rate?

Someone had to say it...

What's it rate?

Third

Someone had to say it...

What's it rate?

What? If that thing's the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, I'm getting out right here...

The real question is whether It'll be called Asics or Adidas? The styling clues are obvious.

Bizzare, but his power yacht was arguably better looking.

2637451448_6a5826e1b6_z.jpg

Except for that damn radar/whatever tower up front I agree....

Just build me something that will house a tp52 (to have a place to stay in hawii DUH)..., a Melgis 32 (Europe calls) and a J70 (strictly because it is the biggest OD fleet around) and I will be happy... Maybe throw in a U20 to putz around in for the odd inland lregatta... Have a Raptor truck with a custom low slung camper on the back to drag said boats from big boat to said inland lakes and I will be happy as a clam.... Oh, need a tender that I can pull around to said inland lakes as well... Maybe camper converts to a rib........ :)

I was going to guess they are some kind of fancy, modern art, Olympic Torches bound for Brazil.

You know, living here we see quite a few mega-yachts, sail and power, come through our harbors. In fact, there's a mega-sailing yacht, Imagine, out my window right now. Paul Allen's Octopussy is here now and then. Larry Ellison had his yacht in Kewalo Basin for months. A was in my front window for months. These vessels tend to say for long periods of time, leave and then come back for several more months. While here, they are not doing refits, but they are washed, polished, and varnished every single day by staff in white polos and white shorts, with white socks and white shoes. You know what I never see? Passengers. Owners. Owners' wives du jour. I understand that super rich guys aren't going to sit around and look at the view in some industrial harbor. I also know that many of these super rich guys also have another mega-yacht somewhere else, say in the Med. This is not to mention the vila in Cannes, the Manor in Provence, the entire island of Lanai, and so on. Am I right that for Americans anyway, this is all a tax write off (Damn! Didn't get a $50,000 a day charter all year! McFly! Write it all off!)? Is it even possible that these guys use all of this stuff? I have 49% of a runabout and a 26' sailboat and I can't find enough time to use them. For for super rich guys is this just something they own because they can and we can't?

You know, living here we see quite a few mega-yachts, sail and power, come through our harbors. In fact, there's a mega-sailing yacht, Imagine, out my window right now. Paul Allen's Octopussy is here now and then. Larry Ellison had his yacht in Kewalo Basin for months. A was in my front window for months. These vessels tend to say for long periods of time, leave and then come back for several more months. While here, they are not doing refits, but they are washed, polished, and varnished every single day by staff in white polos and white shorts, with white socks and white shoes. You know what I never see? Passengers. Owners. Owners' wives du jour. I understand that super rich guys aren't going to sit around and look at the view in some industrial harbor. I also know that many of these super rich guys also have another mega-yacht somewhere else, say in the Med. This is not to mention the vila in Cannes, the Manor in Provence, the entire island of Lanai, and so on. Am I right that for Americans anyway, this is all a tax write off (Damn! Didn't get a $50,000 a day charter all year! McFly! Write it all off!)? Is it even possible that these guys use all of this stuff? I have 49% of a runabout and a 26' sailboat and I can't find enough time to use them. For for super rich guys is this just something they own because they can and we can't?

Acquiring a few million is hard work. Acquiring billions is a sickness, a need that will never be filled. The toys are just part of that. These people may be envied but I am pretty sure they aren't happy. If they were happy they would stop and enjoy their life and not need to keep getting more money and more toys. It may not look like it but I bet it sucks to be them.

I understanding wanting toys. But toys you never see or use? Is that simply to say that you own a big boat somewhere (you don't actually know where it is) and that it's really beautiful (as far as you can recall)? I dunno. It's kind of sad, really.

I understanding wanting toys. But toys you never see or use? Is that simply to say that you own a big boat somewhere (you don't actually know where it is) and that it's really beautiful (as far as you can recall)? I dunno. It's kind of sad, really.

You are right on with tax shelters. Rich folks and their lawyers (apologies and respect to those on SA) write the laws and rules. They make sure the deck is stacked in their best interest. Always.

You can feel about this however you like, if you would like to change it - best wishes.

What I care about is how they treat the crews. I had the chance to speak briefly with a few superyacht crew members last year and they seemed reasonably content.

Just don't tell me how your hobby is the only thing that makes my local economy viable. That pisses me off!!!!

I'm guessing most of them don't know how to sail (or power for that matter) and just own it because having your own boat, with your own captain is much better than chartering someone else's boat with someone else's captain. It's not in their blood like it is in ours, so they spend a day or two once every six months, maybe a week every other year on the boat. But with a captain and a crew to run the boat and take care of it, it is really just a mobile condo on the water for them. It's a nice place to be, and they get to say it's theirs. They probably have places in several high-end vacations spots throughout the world, and don't have much time to spend at any of them.

It is possible when the yacht was first commissioned, they and/or family members and friends spent a lot of time on it; but the new "cottage" in the Hamptons is currently foremost on their mind.

I knew a guy who was a pilot for a very rich man who owned so many new and vintage aircraft that he kept at his own private airport and other nearby airfields. The pilots job was to rotate out the collection at the home field with the far flung members of the fleet. They had a couple of A&P mechanics at the home base and they would do the maintenance and annuals while there. The big man rarely saw his collection but would send them to Warbird flyins all over the country and might show up in his biz jet to see them flown at the shows.

One day while flying the boss man in the bizjet, the company bean counter jumps on board at the last minute and tells the boss that there is something urgent they need to discuss. The pilot eavesdropped a bit to hear the accountant ask the man just how many planes he thought that he owned. He stammered a bit and said something like 'that is what I pay you to keep track of'. The accountant told him and the guy was a bit taken aback. I don't know the exact figure but then the accountant dropped the total cost of the planes, maintenance, taxes, insurance, fuel, hangar and landing fees and it must have been a shocking total. The accountant then told the owner of this underutilized fleet that if he didn't fly in a plane within a fiscal year then it would get sold and closed his attache case and got off the plane. My friend the pilot lost his job in the purge within a year.

It's a dick swinging contest, pure and simple.

Do you think Paul Allen needs two helipads on his toy boat? Is there so much chopper traffic to & fro? No - It's because all the other obsessively rich guys have one.

Aw C'mon SloopJonB - who here HASN'T had an uncomfortable situation with the girlfriend aboard and the wife inbound on short-final with a copter ?

Without that extra flight deck how CAN you get the 17-year-old 'au pair' and her friends the heck out of Dodge in time ?

Geeze, man. It's like you don't want anyone to have any fun at all.

But I will reinforce the sentiment expressed by many Mega-boat crews that " The Boss is very rarely here " - has been repeated to me several times.

Heck even a 'modest' big cruising boat has me thinking, "If that were mine, why would I BE anywhere else ? "

Do you think Paul Allen needs two helipads on his toy boat? Is there so much chopper traffic to & fro? No - It's because all the other obsessively rich guys have one.

Do you need the boat YOU have?

Please don't turn this into a rich bashing thread.

Anyone who tries to create anything beyond the same old shit that's out there is worthy of admiration, whether he succeeds or not....at least in my opinion.

Perhaps we should see the end result before judgement is rendered?

Actually, I heard them say "I wish I had that much money."

Well, except for the "designer". He was dissing another designer's work. That was pretty funny, the difference is the contract.

Actually, I heard them say "I wish I had that much money."

You would.

Aw C'mon SloopJonB - who here HASN'T had an uncomfortable situation with the girlfriend aboard and the wife inbound on short-final with a copter ?

Without that extra flight deck how CAN you get the 17-year-old 'au pair' and her friends the heck out of Dodge in time ?

Geeze, man. It's like you don't want anyone to have any fun at all.

But I will reinforce the sentiment expressed by many Mega-boat crews that " The Boss is very rarely here " - has been repeated to me several times.

Heck even a 'modest' big cruising boat has me thinking, "If that were mine, why would I BE anywhere else ? "

I worked with a guy whose friend was a yacht captain on a large (for me) classic yawl. Maybe 65' IIRC. The owner was having one of the new mega sloops built. My coworker had a sailplan of the mega yacht on his wall. Anyway, he would join his friend occaisonally for delivery trips on the yawl. The owner would tell the captain to have the boat at say Puerto Vallarta by such and so date. The delivery crew would have a great time cruising the boat through various ports in Baja, all the time keeping the boat immaculate, of course. Once in the designated port, the crew would wait for the owner's family to arrive. Once on the boat, they would go out for a daysail, and afterward the owner would say something like, "have it in Victoria by June 20", and the sequence would repeat itself. I wonder if the owner considered the 65' yawl too small to overnight in, hence the new mega yacht being built?

I am all for capitalism- don't tell anyone, but it actually works. And I am certainly not bashing rich guys. I am question super rich guys that have mega-yachts in various places around the world and wonder if day to day they even know where the vessel is. Or mega-yachts that traverse the world without the owner being on board for more than an annual inspection or a day sail here and there. Mr. and Mrs. Google had their mega-yacht here awhile back. In an interview, Ms. Google said that while many of their peers had fancy yachts they rarely use, they decided to build theirs and fund it to do ocean/marine research. They have their own Calypso program and probably get the first non-scientist look at underwater thingies via Google something or other.

Now I get that. If I could go into my home theater and tune into a live feed from the submarine from my yacht, with narrative by my scientist, I would certainly do it.

A giant yacht that took years to build, that you visited once or twice and then sold in order to build a newer/bigger one? To me, that's just folks making money faster than they can spend it. If that's their problem, they should give me a call; I can help with that.

directv-russian-with-mini-giraffe-commer

Does anyone here seriously believe that he earned $billions legitimately in Russian banking, steel & fertilizer by that age?

Or do you suppose that just maybe he got it by being a friend of Putin, bribing, cheating, extorting and possibly murdering?

It's not like he made it suddenly with a tech startup or IPO.

I am all for capitalism- don't tell anyone, but it actually works. And I am certainly not bashing rich guys. I am question super rich guys that have mega-yachts in various places around the world and wonder if day to day they even know where the vessel is. Or mega-yachts that traverse the world without the owner being on board for more than an annual inspection or a day sail here and there. Mr. and Mrs. Google had their mega-yacht here awhile back. In an interview, Ms. Google said that while many of their peers had fancy yachts they rarely use, they decided to build theirs and fund it to do ocean/marine research. They have their own Calypso program and probably get the first non-scientist look at underwater thingies via Google something or other.

Now I get that. If I could go into my home theater and tune into a live feed from the submarine from my yacht, with narrative by my scientist, I would certainly do it.

A giant yacht that took years to build, that you visited once or twice and then sold in order to build a newer/bigger one? To me, that's just folks making money faster than they can spend it. If that's their problem, they should give me a call; I can help with that.

No, they should give scads of dough to charities....

To the original topic, (I know, I know), what's the difference between a large sailing yacht and a sailing ship? Is it just that a yacht is for pleasure?

I bet he can't single hand this boat.

Oh, maybe he hires some one to single hand it for him.

He could hire rimas, I heard he was looking for something to do next....

I wonder how Maltese Falcon is travelling these days. Its new owner is Greek.

I agree with the concept of capitalism. I have done OK. But clearly, things are out of whack.

Smoking some weed and drinking a fine scotch, I came up with this idea:

What if you had to pay if you did destructive stuff, and you got paid for doing good things for the Earth, the ecology, and people.

It is just a game, after all. There is no natural law of money or economics. The rules are changed all the time.

Maybe we should motivate people to do good, instead of just accumulating junk.

Is it shallow enough draft for the lagoon at Venice? The goal is to block more of the view and cast a much bigger shadow than Abramovich did, right?

There are some owners who sail the shit out of their megayachts, and Perkins was one. The implementation of the Falcon's rig and software was done by square rig sailors and Perkins himself for ease of use over all else, and they sailed that monster nearly 90% of all her prodigious hours at sea. One guy can sail the boat.

There are some owners who sail the shit out of their megayachts, and Perkins was one. The implementation of the Falcon's rig and software was done by square rig sailors and Perkins himself for ease of use over all else, and they sailed that monster nearly 90% of all her prodigious hours at sea. One guy can sail the boat.

The book about the construction was pretty good too. It was of course titled "Mine's Bigger".

They "listen" to this the same way we "listen" to people who criticize us for sailing.

I wonder how Maltese Falcon is travelling these days. Its new owner is Greek.

o

You can guarantee that the holding company that owns the boat, bank accounts etc are all registered somewhere else.

Which flag of convenience is it sailing under?

Um, well, yes actually. That's how you get back and forth to the shops and restaurants in Mocaco.

I agree with the concept of capitalism. I have done OK. But clearly, things are out of whack.

Smoking some weed and drinking a fine scotch, I came up with this idea:

What if you had to pay if you did destructive stuff, and you got paid for doing good things for the Earth, the ecology, and people.

It is just a game, after all. There is no natural law of money or economics. The rules are changed all the time.

Maybe we should motivate people to do good, instead of just accumulating junk.

I suggest you do more weed and less Scotch and post more deep thoughts for our edumacation and entertainment............

No, they should give scads of dough to charities....

I totally agree. Bill and Melinda Gates are trying their best to get rid of their money through their foundation, but damn it, the stuff keeps pouring in faster than they can dole it out.

Gates Foundation is doing lots of good works, for sure!! And Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are also doing lots of good stuff. The Shrub - GWB, OTOH is sitting around paintint purty pictures!!!

I know, take it to Political Anarchy! LOL!! :P

But what I really want to know....

Is it any more fun than this?

fbb8204a928dd7bb1fa6356568119bdf.jpg

Awesome pic; rumfustian!! Thanks! :D

Reading through this thread i again wonder if many here would argue that burger king is great and why pay heaps for fancy crap just to show off at an eating place. In the game of life and for the collectorsthat may choose cars and the many pennies invested in auto stuff hidden in a garage." The owner never takes out that 1955 stang to go shopping or drop the kids off...tsk tsk... i drive my pontiac all the time..., can not understand how that rich clown leaves his 300SL to rot and not commute in it". At least car collections can be hidden away. Seagoing mega fauna not so much, unless you count blending into an isalnd somewhere or among a heap of others in the Med somewhere, at least the bigger is better lets them see where they (it was) parked it (for them). Side view it will be a lovely nod to a classic Asian trade vessel. At least it will stand out from the converted small coaster thang or not look like an overgrown pregnant Wally with cruise ship upper decks. :)

Burger King ain't great, it's hardly even edible. Eating good food is hardly "showing off" unless you require a corner table at the latest trendy spot and that's not about the food.

Are you really unable to see a difference between owning a 300SL or even a number of collectible cars and spending most of a $Billion on a cruise ship sized toy boat?

Really?

That depends, rather obviously, on your definition of the word "fun".

And it appears to me, judging by the outcome, that Paul Allen has a different definition of the word than you do.

Are you really unable to see a difference between owning a 300SL or even a number of collectible cars and spending most of a $Billion on a cruise ship sized toy boat?

Really?

There are two differences: price and choice.

Oh, and Paul Allen can afford the choice, and apparently you can't.

one thing i really like about the rich like this guy, is they are using their money and circulating it, keeping folks employed rather than bank vaults full. LE is a prime example , here in malibu i think he has a few hundred employees between his estate build , the pier, the restaurants, and property grabbing on the water. different strokes for different folks. i got nothing when it comes to the decisions of the mega rich.

All the philosophical wealth-redistributing to one side, it looks like some coked-up N.A.'s vision of a 400' modern Portugese Galleon with that stepped stern.

Arrr.... Whar be's them gunports, Lads?

That depends, rather obviously, on your definition of the word "fun".

And it appears to me, judging by the outcome, that Paul Allen has a different definition of the word than you do.

Really?

There are two differences: price and choice.

Oh, and Paul Allen can afford the choice, and apparently you can't.

That wasn't really necessary Jammer - we all know you are completely clueless.

If I had that much money, the boat I'd buy would look completely different.

ok, good for you, but the more importent question : will it be bigger?

The owner has another thing over us all. When he is on board he won't be able to stand back and look at it. It will I am sure only be ugly from the outside - he doesn't care about that!

Judging by the furniture in that pic of him it will be even uglier onboard.

It's a miniature giraffe. If you've never heard of them, I guess you can't afford one. ;)

And he seems to make exclusively bad ones when it comes to matters of taste.

You do understand that is a screenshot from a commercial... right?

You do understand that is a screenshot from a commercial... right?

I'm betting on "no".

Jammer, congrats - you finally got something right. ;)

So cute! So what do we call this herd of the lil' guys?

If I had that kind of money, my yacht would probably look like this:

Klipper-STAD%20AMSTERDAM.jpg

Some of you critics really don't understand how capitalism works. Every penny that he spent on this toy goes towards giving some guy a job. Every penny. From the miners in South Africa who dug the rocks for his diamond encrusted toilet paper roller to the ranchers in Russia who raised the sable for his toilet seat covers. These workers owe their job to him and people like him. So if he spends $100 million on the yacht, that's $100 million in jobs that have been created. That's a heck of a lot better than keeping it in the bank.

With regards to being tax deductible, do you think the IRS is stupid? There is nothing they would love more than to catch some rich guy cheating on this. I don't know the situation in Russia, but here in North America they would audit the expenses very carefully. He would have to prove that the boat is truly being used for business purposes. And they would only allow a deduction for the percentage of time that it was actually being used that way.