• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hockle

Russian billionaire builds largest sailing yacht in world

464 posts in this topic

You're both wrong - it's well established that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

What's really shocking is that the first world has only 5% of the spots, but uses 95% of the statistics.

One half of one percent of all human beings ever born are still alive.

Therefore, I have a one half of one percent chance of living forever.

Has anyone seen any pics of this thing actually sailing?

I think the sailing trials are scheduled for 2024, depending on breakdowns.

Per article

This new photo shows Sailing Yacht A has been repainted with a grey hull, bringing her closer to completion for her estimated 2017 delivery date.

The upside is pretty much every member of SA will have a job for life as crew on that thing.

Has anyone got the underwater profile of this monster?

It seems so un balanced even before the sails are set.

The upside is pretty much every member of SA will have a job for life as crew on that thing.

I ain't workin' for no Rooskie!

Per article

This new photo shows Sailing Yacht A has been repainted with a grey hull, bringing her closer to completion for her estimated 2017 delivery date.

By sailing, I mean by wind propulsion not by propellers.

i'm all for "it's your cash, do what you like", but fuck me this is pushing the friendship...

there really are some tremendously wealthy people out there.

It will be impressive to see it under sail in some decent wind. It's very tall, as you see from the front on pictures, the draft must be significant. Both this boat and the yacht "A" are skirting around the design of Captain Nemo's Nautilus in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but not quite getting there. This was a real missed opportunity to build something extraordinary. As opposed to something extraordinarily odd.

Have to agree with you there.

I think this owner and his designer were in the 'la-la land' of 'mine's bigger', and were trying to upstage the fabulous Maltese Falcon project. Boy did they miss that goal, this thing is STUPID.

even people in the humanitarian aid business have said that years of just giving stuff to impoverished people does harm as well as good by making it impossible for local producers of whatever is being given away to run a successful business.

there is nothing wrong with providing work to working people.

But I wonder how many good craftsmen he is going to put out of work when he sues the boatyard??

I am all for capitalism- don't tell anyone, but it actually works. And I am certainly not bashing rich guys. I am question super rich guys that have mega-yachts in various places around the world and wonder if day to day they even know where the vessel is. Or mega-yachts that traverse the world without the owner being on board for more than an annual inspection or a day sail here and there. Mr. and Mrs. Google had their mega-yacht here awhile back. In an interview, Ms. Google said that while many of their peers had fancy yachts they rarely use, they decided to build theirs and fund it to do ocean/marine research. They have their own Calypso program and probably get the first non-scientist look at underwater thingies via Google something or other.

Now I get that. If I could go into my home theater and tune into a live feed from the submarine from my yacht, with narrative by my scientist, I would certainly do it.

A giant yacht that took years to build, that you visited once or twice and then sold in order to build a newer/bigger one? To me, that's just folks making money faster than they can spend it. If that's their problem, they should give me a call; I can help with that.

I tried selling such a program for a number of years, with a number of private letters,...without success...

quote from a portion of my website....

Sole Owner, Foundation Placement. There exist an alternative to the private use or charter scenarios mentioned above. It would require an owner/investor(s) who could take advantage of certain tax deductions presented under such a plan. One scenario would have the owner donate his/her/their vessel to a nonprofit, scholastic foundation whose purpose would be to make the vessel available to a consortium of colleges involved in ocean research projects. I'm sure the patriarchal donor would always be welcomed back aboard in between scholastic projects. For longer excursions I'm sure the foundation could arrange very favorable charter rates.

Having always had a keen interest in oceanography myself, I can't think of a better scenario for one of our gamefishing cats to alternatively be involved in fisheries research. I would personally make all efforts to see this project happen.

So I've copied a portion of a proposal intro letter I wrote to address some of these concerns. I've written to quite a number of well-healed persons that might be able to take advantage of some tax incentives to see such a project through.....so far, no takers. ______________________________

Lee-Kahn Foundation

Subject: Grant Request, Submission of Initial Letter of Inquiry

Per the home page of your website and one of your foundation’s most basic goals, "may our children and our children’s children experience the magic of Dolphins playing with the ocean waves".

We are currently at a real risk of this not happening!!…..we are on the brink of an environmental disaster that may very soon be inflicted upon our oceans, and by our own Navy! Refer to the article, "A Texas Size Kill Zone" of dolphins, whales, big-game fish, and unknown other species. http://www.bigmarinefish.com/sonar_notice.html I spent some time working with the nuclear submarines. This is happening. If we permit our oceans to become a cemetery, we may damage its alter ego the atmosphere and ultimately our planet itself.

Our oceans are a precious resource, even beyond our own imagination. We need more qualified academics in pure oceanography, in contrast to those drawn away into military weapons development or searching/developing oil resources in our seas. We need to get more kids excited about ocean studies… …initiate and perpetuate their interest. There are no Jacques Cousteau programs as there were in my youth. We need some training & introductory vessels for these students , and I think a few of them require a romantic image in order to lure some of these young people aboard. SAILing vessel is one answer.

I have over the past couple of years been in search of a client to build a very unique sail-powered, world- capable, gamefishing vessel. In reality I would much rather see such a vessel utilized as a fisheries research vessel , per the brief references on my website and a number of letter/proposals I have generated in search of that patriarchal owner/donor. Copies of these letters are available. And please visit my website http://www.RunningTideYachts.com , owner/charter section.

In my letter to Netscape's Jim Clark I suggest that the creation of this vessel should be an exceptionally fun & exciting project. And then most rewarding, the placement of this vessel into a foundation organization for the use of a consortium of schools with ocean programs. I specified 'consortium' such that any one school is not over burdened with the whole of the expenses nor the demands of operating their own vessel, such as might occur when a private vessel is donated to a specific school.

Mr. Kahn should find this sailing project very interesting; both on the innovative merits of the sailing design itself, as well as the vessel's utilization in the education of our youth in the oceanographic disciplines. Like an old Zen saying, "the journey is the reward." He might also find my letter to Katie Couric of interest, wherein I quote his ship’s log entry from the Trans Pacific Race 2001, "taking my son Shark along was one of the best things I did for the both of us. Priceless!"

The goal is to provide at least one vessel, or several such vessels as hinted at in my letter to Bill Ford Jr. This vessel(s) would be operated by a non-profit foundation….either a newly created one, or assimilated into several already existing foundations.

The new vessel design should be given a minimum of 1 year in development and construction time. The cost should range between 1.2 to1.5M. I have also identified two existing vessels (one fully operational, and the other 90% complete) that could become similar candidates for this work, and could begin work while the new design was in build. These two are available at bargain prices of 250K & 390K respectively. The grant is required to purchase the vessel(s) and put the project in motion. The operating expenses of both the vessels & foundation would come from a selection of worldwide businesses that seek out association with 'green projects' such as this, and from premium (charitable) charter donations from individuals & businesses seeking to entertain a social or business function onboard. The schools would be asked to share a portion of the expenses to their capabilities.

There are some owners who sail the shit out of their megayachts, and Perkins was one. The implementation of the Falcon's rig and software was done by square rig sailors and Perkins himself for ease of use over all else, and they sailed that monster nearly 90% of all her prodigious hours at sea. One guy can sail the boat.

Perkins and his design/development crew put a LOT of research into the creation of that vessel Maltese Falcon. It is a phenomenon. It inspired me so much I decided to see if i could create a multihull version, a Dynarig MotorSailer

I believe this Russian guy and his designer were trying to create a 'mine's bigger' craft, but they totally failed to live up to Tom Perkin's efforts, intelligence, legacy.

Some of you critics really don't understand how capitalism works. Every penny that he spent on this toy goes towards giving some guy a job. Every penny. From the miners in South Africa who dug the rocks for his diamond encrusted toilet paper roller to the ranchers in Russia who raised the sable for his toilet seat covers. These workers owe their job to him and people like him. So if he spends $100 million on the yacht, that's $100 million in jobs that have been created. That's a heck of a lot better than keeping it in the bank.

With regards to being tax deductible, do you think the IRS is stupid? There is nothing they would love more than to catch some rich guy cheating on this. I don't know the situation in Russia, but here in North America they would audit the expenses very carefully. He would have to prove that the boat is truly being used for business purposes. And they would only allow a deduction for the percentage of time that it was actually being used that way.

Ahhh, one of those trickle down idiots. Take it to PA or serfdom anarchy would ya?

Ha...ha...ha...well said

Actually spending money on gold-plated faucets creates no more jobs than spending it on a basic chrome one. Spending it on art creates no jobs at all (except security system guys). In fact spending on expensive stuff is essentially not much better for the economy than burying the money in a mattress.

That is the flaw in assuming billionaire spending creates jobs faster than the lowly middle class spending the same dollar amount. It doesn't. Middle class spending far outstrips billionaire spending for job creation on a dollar for dollar basis.

Trickle down is one of the great lies of the neo-con economists.

I think that has been shown to be true in several of our administrations now.

Again... Skip the trickle down nonsense. The boat owner in question employed an ENTIRE SHIPYARD! Those are real jobs.

But what happens to those (likely career) workers and boatyard when that owner decides to sue them for non-timely completion of a flawed design??

Henry Ford had it right. Duesenburg had it wrong.

I think you got it right.

7 degrees of heel will not only slop the lime out of the guests' cocktails, but will produce serious pucker factor way up there on the bridge.

Stick a fork in this thing. It's done.

This thing is just wrong. http://goo.gl/XX6fYb

Good point. a lot of the sportfish guys know this feeling when way up in those 'tuna towers'. (and they are NOWHERE near this far off the water !!)

Some of you critics really don't understand how capitalism works. Every penny that he spent on this toy goes towards giving some guy a job. Every penny. From the miners in South Africa who dug the rocks for his diamond encrusted toilet paper roller to the ranchers in Russia who raised the sable for his toilet seat covers. These workers owe their job to him and people like him. So if he spends $100 million on the yacht, that's $100 million in jobs that have been created. That's a heck of a lot better than keeping it in the bank.

With regards to being tax deductible, do you think the IRS is stupid? There is nothing they would love more than to catch some rich guy cheating on this. I don't know the situation in Russia, but here in North America they would audit the expenses very carefully. He would have to prove that the boat is truly being used for business purposes. And they would only allow a deduction for the percentage of time that it was actually being used that way.

Ahhh, one of those trickle down idiots. Take it to PA or serfdom anarchy would ya?

Ha...ha...ha...well said

post-95343-0-53445200-1472831690_thumb.jpg

This is like a naked fat chick, you instantly regret that you can't un-see her.

My eyes hurt. I want to Un-see her in the worst way.

ROFLMASO,...I don't know this new age abbreviation so I just improvised...

'rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off' :lol: :lol:

Ha...ha...ha...well said

I still like this thing, if only it had two hulls & two rutters

How about something like this instead

http://megayachtnews.com/2016/08/spectrum-61-sailing-catamaransedlmayer-associates/

Spectrum-61-profile.jpg

Spectrum-61-aft.jpg

Where are the helipads?

How ya gonna keep those chopper crews employed?

The OP in this chain has a well chosen handle.

Matt Lauer even made the comment, 'If you have a yacht that big, then you must have a really small dinghy...'

Another great laugh this morning !! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Where are the helipads? How ya gonna keep those chopper crews employed?

Spectrum-61-aft.jpg

Perhaps you could make provisions for that aft boom to be rotated out of the way to make room for a helopad, or equip it with a wishbone boom like I did on my gamefishing cat, so it could be rotated up out of the way?
http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/gamefishing-for-sail-under-sail-and-power

post-14383-0-67652400-1472836127_thumb.gif

That's a very good looking cat.

I, myself, personally would prefer it with a more conventional rig though.

That's a very good looking cat.

I, myself, personally would prefer it with a more conventional rig though.

Well it is a little 'radical', but not nearly so much as this Russian yacht :rolleyes::P ...and mine would actually sail,...and be a LOT cheaper.

I've made this challenge before:

All the more reason to have an 'instantly deployable' sailing rig,...all 3 sails on my 'single-masted ketch' roller furl.

I can still imagine sailing a big 65-foot catamaran with this rig right off the mooring, and back to the mooring, without the engine, by myself, with so little effort that I might take it out having only a few spare hours to kill, or for a simple daysail.

I would like a 65 foot cat to take sailing that might even be easier and less time consuming than rigging up a trailerable beach cat.

So here's a challenge Xperson:..... Le Mans start. I'll be out sailing before you get the covers off your mainsail, and when we return for the day, I'll be at the bar with a margarita watching you put away your vessel for the day.

Now I get why they nicknamed it the White Pearl: pics

Newer article pulled:

Russian billionaire's megayacht 'may never leave the Baltic Sea ...
Daily Mail-9 hours ago
There was worldwide publicity last week after billionaire Andrey Melnichenko's stupendous 468 foot Yacht A went on sea trials for the first time ...

Article pulled

I'm still looking for JUST ONE photo of her with sails up. Hell I haven't even seen a dwg of her sail plan????

Oh look, the exhausts no longer blow directly back onto the base of the third mast. Guess they were tired of that sickening crunching noise carbon makes when breaking.

You have to admit, that the scale is impressive. Judging by the size of the guys standing on the end of the boom, their sails battens are probably thicker than my mast.

Paul

I was thinking a bit of luffing would launch those guys into the next county... probably what they do with the captured .00X agents.

Expensive for a 0.5k sb :)

That is because your dick is probably thicker than the owner's forearm.

Nah, I suspect he has an unnaturally over-developed right forearm...

You have to admit, that the scale is impressive. Judging by the size of the guys standing on the end of the boom, their sails battens are probably thicker than my mast.

Paul

BFD.

I suppose that situation is classic: bigger boat longer stay at marinas. Owner will come there for a couple of weeks a year. And of course it will no be wind at this period. All the other time it will be staying at the bay.

For such people motor yachts are much more suitable. But this mystery of big money will keep its secret somewhere deep at the mind of the owner.

Still not under sail yet, but on the move again.

There may be method in this aesthetic. With the fuel tanks topped off, he will be able to cruise the planet

for more than 1000 days. The large stern will permit him to broad reach under storm sails.

He will only need fuel for electricity and maneuvering in port.

There may be method in this aesthetic. With the fuel tanks topped off, he will be able to cruise the planet

for more than 1000 days. The large stern will permit him to broad reach under storm sails.

He will only need fuel for electricity and maneuvering in port.

Plenty of deck space to grow sprouts and herd goats to make cheese.

Tragic

so ugly and unfortunate.

a group of drunk monkeys could design a better boat.

You could buy a whole fleet of M32 or C&C 30's, upgrade a tanker and have your own one design shit show to take all over the world with that much coin.

plenty of hookers and blow for everyone AND money left over for beer.

Exactly, White pearl is now on the font page with claimed debt

of 16,2 mln on a total buiding cost of 450 mln.

So it may take a while before Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko sets sail.

But with 13,4 mld/bld as total capital this will be a small issue for Andrey I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Melnichenko

On the move again, this time including docking. It's ungainly to be kind, but whether you'll admit it or not - we're all curious to finally see it under full sail.

I've seen people run out of paint halfway through a job before, but never on a scale like this! :huh:

lol.... It always looks like its trying to sink itself, bow first....... :lol:

On 5/31/2017 at 7:11 AM, JayBee said:

IMG_1392.JPG

yup... slot that ugly ass A in this photo behind the other two....

sailing_65_and_26_large.jpg

On 5/31/2017 at 5:11 AM, JayBee said:

IMG_1392.JPG

Ya - there is a vid of it like that it sailing on Wastebook. Doesn't get any prettier out on the water does it?

Ugh, that's just too much.  How do you get to enjoy the fun and challenge of sailing  on that monstrosity?  Maybe he's just trying to save money on diesel.....

its kind of cool if you appreciate that its a modern sculpture, it just aint a boat Jim like we know it.

31 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

At least it sail downhill.

That whole thing was downhill from the first pencil stroke.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:35 PM, Gutterblack said:

its kind of cool if you appreciate that its a modern sculpture, it just aint a boat Jim like we know it.

I don't see any appeal as a modern sculpture, much less a sailing vessel.  

Sometimes you just have to tell them the baby is ugly.

Not much to see, I guess I should have known, but this appears to show A under sail. Some here have said it's only sail assisted, versus actually sailing without engine propulsion? Next...

The crew needs to slide forward and Hike more....  Sheesh...

A couple of weeks back Panthalassa, a rather classy Perini was anchored not far from us at Taormina, Sicily....

And therein lies the problem… for million$ of less dosh he could have something Italian… that when it pulls up alongside his cubist tin can… its shows it for the modernist turd it is.

I know which I would rather be on having a sundowner of an evening…

1 hour ago, Marinatrix447 said:

A couple of weeks back Panthalassa, a rather classy Perini was anchored not far from us at Taormina, Sicily....

And therein lies the problem… for million$ of less dosh he could have something Italian… that when it pulls up alongside his cubist tin can… its shows it for the modernist turd it is.

I know which I would rather be on having a sundowner of an evening…

No offense but that Italian job reminds me a bit of this:

side_dark_large.jpg