Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrpelicano

2015 Tour de France a la Voile (TdFV) Kicking Off

Hey Cats and Kittens -

The 2015 Tour de France a la Voile (TdFV) kicks off this Friday (July 3rd) and you don't want to miss this year's edition, the first to be contested in the Diam 24 multihulls. 30 teams are competing, including some of the rock stars of the French and global sailing scene, like Frank Cammas, Jeremie Beyou, Kito de Pavant, Bernard Stamm, Vincent Riou, just to name a few.

Those of you, like me, who have followed this event for many years, will no doubt recall the awesome highlight reels of Mumm 30 downwind carnage during the golden years of the TdFV. The interlude with the M34s proved rather disappointing, but the choice of the Diam 24 tris promises to elevate the competition and excitement to an entirely new level.

If you haven't yet seen the Diam 24's in action, head straight to YouTube and do yourself a favor. Amazing OD boats, and remarkably affordable - i.e., why don't we have fleets of these springing up all over North America?

Ordinarily I'd say that Groupama is going to be the team to beat, but there's so much talent, including some pretty hot shot F18 skippers, that I predict Frank Cammas and crew will have to work hard for the overall victory.

Hope Clean and SA devote some attention to this event, despite the absence of American participation (there is a single Australian team, however).

So, allons-y!

Cool move on the part of event organizers, but that boat looks very bow down to me. It's begging for some C boards and/or t rudders if you ask me. Every shot the boat looks moments away from catastrophe. Nevertheless, glad to see it catch on.

Cool move on the part of event organizers, but that boat looks very bow down to me. It's begging for some C boards and/or t rudders if you ask me. Every shot the boat looks moments away from catastrophe. Nevertheless, glad to see it catch on.

I agree with you, the boat needs at least some c boards, I believe the crews could push it much harder downwind and not pitchpole (which is the main reason of capsize in the class at this point I believe, have a look at Jérémie Beyou and his MaitreCoQ diam24 pitchpoling at the end of this video ;)

Right now the boat is like a mini mod70 without its c boards, it sails well but slower than it could.

the more you guys post, the more i can put up on the front page. just warming up to this, and headed to france on Sunday, hopefully will have some time to see them.

anyone have a link to the schedule/calendar?

Here you go, Clean: http://www.tourvoile.fr/fr/la-course/parcours

Agree with the previous commenters about the Diam 24 stability. Some curved foils in the floats and t-rudders would help alleviate the tendency to bury the leeward float under speed, but so would increased volume in the forward part of the floats themselves. Would be really interesting to hear from VPLP about the design brief that lead to the present configuration. It's not like those guys don't know a few things about fast multihull design. Not sure if the intent was to make them a bit more difficult to sail but I doubt it. Again, would love to know what the trade-offs were.

Be sure to follow the event on FB. Last year most of the really good stuff was on FB and not on the event site, for some reason, including videos, interviews, etc. This is a huge event in France, and would possible by even bigger if it didn't have to compete with some bicycle race.

the more you guys post, the more i can put up on the front page. just warming up to this, and headed to france on Sunday, hopefully will have some time to see them.

anyone have a link to the schedule/calendar?

post-6361-0-37351100-1435841691_thumb.jpg

This is a great video that illustrates quite well the points made above about the Diam 24's nose-diving proclivities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=120&v=HZiv7zTHcc0

Best viewed in full-screen mode. It's a touch ironic to see the kite foiler come by a few times during the video, as if underscoring the fact that the Diam 24 needs to have some kind of foiling solution, even if not a full-blown one.

MrPelicano

Do you know if there is going to be any Anglais content on the FB page. It's nice to look at the pics but there's an Aussie team competing and I wouldn't want to miss out on the news.

Even given my limited French, the event wesite looks pretty lacking in content at the moment. Also keen to follow the Aussie team, hopefully they will bring a D24 back with them.

If you want to follow the race, you should follow their twitter, it's full of race news.

The 1st "raid", in Dunkerque is currently underway.

Met the builder, toured the factory and sailed one for an afternoon last fall when we were in France for the start of Rhute de Rhum. Build quality is fantastic. At the time he had a healthy backlog of Euro orders and no US distribution arm. Boat was lively and fun to sail. Sails were tired and coming apart and the breeze was really up and down so it was hard to really dial in and go. For a one design with a price point sensitivity I can understand no foils. Its not just the foils but the structural changes that have to go with it. The boat is glass, not carbon. We talked about foils and I don't specifically recall the magnitude of changes that would have to be made, but it pretty clearly wasn't a priority at the time.

Hey Cats and Kittens -

The 2015 Tour de France a la Voile (TdFV) kicks off this Friday (July 3rd) and you don't want to miss this year's edition, the first to be contested in the Diam 24 multihulls. 30 teams are competing, including some of the rock stars of the French and global sailing scene, like Frank Cammas, Jeremie Beyou, Kito de Pavant, Bernard Stamm, Vincent Riou, just to name a few.

Those of you, like me, who have followed this event for many years, will no doubt recall the awesome highlight reels of Mumm 30 downwind carnage during the golden years of the TdFV. The interlude with the M34s proved rather disappointing, but the choice of the Diam 24 tris promises to elevate the competition and excitement to an entirely new level.

If you haven't yet seen the Diam 24's in action, head straight to YouTube and do yourself a favor. Amazing OD boats, and remarkably affordable - i.e., why don't we have fleets of these springing up all over North America?

Ordinarily I'd say that Groupama is going to be the team to beat, but there's so much talent, including some pretty hot shot F18 skippers, that I predict Frank Cammas and crew will have to work hard for the overall victory.

Hope Clean and SA devote some attention to this event, despite the absence of American participation (there is a single Australian team, however).

So, allons-y!

Yes the Mumm 30s were awesome (even in a multi-oriented forum we can admit that) and I doubt the Diams with the lack of offshore component will bring back that level of awesomeness. The smaller teams, lack of offshore carnage and cheaper boat should make for lower cost campaigning but the race is fundamentally different now and not necessarily in a good way.

55K Euros is a lot of dosh for a sorta not so fast boat (for a multi) you can't poop or fornicate on i.e. explaining why we don't have fleets of them here in the USA. A Nacra 20 or something similar would probably be just as interesting.

And yes it's nosy...

Oops

Damn, you beat me too it.

Groupama doesn't have this race wrapped up by any stretch. Looked like they might walk away at one point, but the competition is tough and they're going to have to earn it. Big surprise, for me, is how poorly Bernard Stamm has done. I know he's not a multihull guy but his team spent a lot of time training in the boat, starting nearly a year ago. Expected better from the man who knows how to put pedal to the metal in IMOCA.

Oops

Damn, you beat me too it.

Oh putain!

So its a duck, bear away, looks like either the S got a big header and/or the P didnt bear away enough. I guess that the jib could have been held in longer to help the nose down and the main eased more, otherwise she just didnt answer to the helm?

Or the skipper screwed up very badly...not much time to decide, I grant...rights are clear.

If you don't easy enough main sheet, the rudders will load up and not respond as well to the bear away.

No doubt, but seems to me the goof should have known...not disagreeing, but if you have ever been wrong-sided on the water and then wrong-sided by a local protest committee, you will get my drift.