• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
QBF

Mike Plant - Project Coyote the Movie

I just learned about this project today, a documentry about Mike Plant is being filmed.

"Project Coyote is a documentary film that traces the daring path of American single-handed skipper, Mike Plant. When Plant went missing mid-Atlantic in 1992, the sailing world held its breath. After only five years of single-handed sailing, Plant logged over 100,000 miles at sea, twice set the American record for the fastest solo circumnavigation and was recognized as one of five skippers in history to complete three solo trips around the world."

Project Coyote website
http://www.projectcoyotemovie.com

Project Coyote Facebok page

Thrilled to announce cameras begin rolling this week on the eastern seaboard as we embark on the journey to share Mike's story with you. Humbled by the support we have received to get here.. inspired as we cross the starting line.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PROJECT-COYOTE/1026041180755830

Wow, can't wait to see more of this. Obviously Mike Plant was an inspiration to me, although I really didn't know all that much about him when I first thought of attempting the Vendee Globe. Of course I'd heard of his races on Airco, Duracell, and the sad story of him being lost at sea on Coyote.

Brad Van Liew filled me in with more details as he had been familiar with Mike. However where I really felt Mike Plant's presence the most was when I arrived in Les Sables d'Olonne on OceanPlanet. I began to meet locals who were eager to tell me they had met him, perhaps helped him in some small way, or that he had hung out at their restaurant. Posters of Coyote signed by Mike were proudly displayed at several eateries and bars...all for the American who in the end didn't officially finish. He DID make it back to Les Sables as an unofficial finisher, and was expected to return to complete the dream. He never did, lost at sea on the final trip to the next Vendee four years later.

The goodwill that was offered to me, in the hope that I would make it...and be the first American to officially finish the Vendee...was overwhelming. I could really feel the hope from so many people, that I would make it. For sure Mike Plant helped create much of that force of goodwill that was offered to me. Although I never met him, I have to feel grateful for laying the foundation that certainly helped me to follow in his footsteps.

Bruce

Some background information on Mike Plant for those who might not know...

A short bio on Mike Plant by Rickard Konkolski who raced against Mike in Class II during the 1982/83 BOC race.
http://www.sevenoceans.com/SoloAroundTheWorld/ShipMail/Plant.htm

An Excerpt by Marlin Bree's "The Passion of Mike Plant: America’s greatest solo sailing hero takes his final ride in Coyote."
http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_Breezes_Current/Articles/Aug05/brokenseas5.htm

Wayzata Sailing club memorial on Mike Plant
http://www.wayzatasailing.org/about_mike_plant/

The hull of the capsized Coyote was found on the day the second Vendée Globe started.
http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/historic/1992-1993.html

p14-193.jpg

1993%2001%20VV%20Plant.jpg

There is a special Pre-Release preview of the movie "Coyote" next month. I was invited but cannot make it.

Here is the email I received. If your interested in atending, you should contact
https://www.newportfilm.com/film-events/films/coyote-mike-plant-story

We're excited to announce a special Friends & Family screening of COYOTE on July 13th in Newport, Rhode Island! As the birthplace of Mike Plant's legacy in professional sailing, Newport is a fitting backdrop for this unique event hosted by NewportFILM. 

More than a festival, NewportFILM brings year-round programming that features established and emerging filmmakers and their current films, curated from film festivals around the world. Please join us as we celebrate Mike Plant's inspiring story on the big screen next to Newport Harbor!

Coyote Movie - website

Coyote Movie - Facebook

Coyote - the Mike Plant Movie.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, QBF said:

There is a special Pre-Release preview of the movie "Coyote" next month. I was invited but cannot make it.

Here is the email I received. If your interested in atending, you should contact
https://www.newportfilm.com/film-events/films/coyote-mike-plant-story

We're excited to announce a special Friends & Family screening of COYOTE on July 13th in Newport, Rhode Island! As the birthplace of Mike Plant's legacy in professional sailing, Newport is a fitting backdrop for this unique event hosted by NewportFILM. 

More than a festival, NewportFILM brings year-round programming that features established and emerging filmmakers and their current films, curated from film festivals around the world. Please join us as we celebrate Mike Plant's inspiring story on the big screen next to Newport Harbor!

Coyote Movie - website

Coyote Movie - Facebook

Coyote - the Mike Plant Movie.jpg

I will try to make this...have to sort out schedules but is something I really want to see.

COYOTE has been selected in core competition for the 2017 Napa Valley Film Festival! NVFF lights up the picturesque towns of Napa, Yountville and St. Helena during the most colorful time of year, featuring over 120 new independent films, studio sneak previews and Q&A's in gorgeous winery venues and historic theaters across the Valley.

COYOTE will be one of nine select feature documentaries in core competition vying for a jury-awarded Best Documentary Feature and cash prize of $10,000.

2017 Napa Valley Film Festival

2017 Napa Valley Film Festival.jpg

Mike Plant & Coyote.2.jpg

Just an update on future screenings. I'll finally be able see this documentary.

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

59b7ddf12711a_LunenburgNovaScotia.png.0dd735e9b45bcb6a7fbaa091f5f55664.png

Twin-Cities, Minnesota

Twin-Cities.png.f2b9f0ede8c817b65e6391e81f329cda.png

Really hoping I get to see this, and that it gets wider release.

For those near the Twin-Cities, Coyote is being shown on October 21st at 9:45am.

I know I'll be there...

Note: Except for notifying vjm in Florida of showing, this will be my last notice on film dates. If you are interested in seeing it, check Coyote's Facebook page as linked to in the first post.

Twin-Cities Film Fest.png

Edited by QBF
update

Tom has been working hard on this one. Looking forward to seeing it myself! We've been working on getting a second showing (hopefully and evening) while the film is in MN for TCFF. Sounds like it will have a wider release eventually, but not sure what that means for theaters/dvd/netflix.

I really can't wait. The footage is supposed to be incredible, open, and a lot of things we haven't seen before.

Pre-order tickets are supposed to go on sale today, but I've not been able to find the "Buy Now" link to purchase one. It might be a Linux issue. I'll give the theater a call later today.

Here is a new trailer for Mike's movie.

Coyote, the Trailer

5 hours ago, QBF said:

Pre-order tickets are supposed to go on sale today, but I've not been able to find the "Buy Now" link to purchase one. It might be a Linux issue. I'll give the theater a call later today.

Here is a new trailer for Mike's movie.

Coyote, the Trailer

Sounds like it sold out in the first hour. :/ 

Hopefully that means another showing?

16 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

Sounds like it sold out in the first hour. :/ 

Hopefully that means another showing?

I did managed to purchase a ticket about 10:00am, but there were not many seats left.

BTW: The problem I had buying a ticket was not because of Linux, but a very confusing web page design. See the attached screen shot of where to click to order a ticket.

COYOTE.png

On 9/29/2017 at 11:45 AM, QBF said:

For those near the Twin-Cities, Coyote is being shown on October 21st at 9:45am.

I know I'll be there...

Note: Except for notifying vjm in Florida of showing, this will be my last notice on film dates.

Why?

49 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Why?

Why?

Because people get lazy and expect others to do their work for them. I wanted to let people know about this documentary, and I've done that, but I'm not going to post about each city that shows it.

I am in no way involved in this movie in any way at all. However, Mike Plant, Shamrock V, and myself (Ranger 30) used to regularly sail together in Narragansett Bay.

I posted the image for Roller Skates as the website in Minnesota used to purchase a ticket is not user friendly at all. I came close to not getting a ticket myself.

Alright Skates, here is another screening.

Sunday, October 22 at 7:30 pm.

RE: Mr. Clean, thanks for putting Mike Plant's movie on the Front Page. It was a nice write up.

Coyote - Additional Screening.png

On 10/3/2017 at 9:31 AM, QBF said:

Why?

Because people get lazy and expect others to do their work for them. I wanted to let people know about this documentary, and I've done that, but I'm not going to post about each city that shows it.

I am in no way involved in this movie in any way at all. However, Mike Plant, Shamrock V, and myself (Ranger 30) used to regularly sail together in Narragansett Bay.

I posted the image for Roller Skates as the website in Minnesota used to purchase a ticket is not user friendly at all. I came close to not getting a ticket myself.

Ah ok, understood.  Continue with your mission of making people less lazy and good luck. 

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Any of you useless pricks out there know if and when the rest of the world can experience the joy of watching this on a big screen??

I'm speaking to the producer and will try to get him on the podcast to talk about the whole thing.  My understanding is that the screenings are paying some bills and getting the word out while they try to sell the movie to a distributor.  Generally if they cannot get what they want for it, they'll figure out a way to release it that will at least pay some of the bills.  Otherwise, we'll see it on the big screen, though it would be far better to see someone like Amazon pick it up!

Sometimes living in Minnesnowta pays off; I live a block from the ICON theater in the West End. If anyone going to the 2nd showing wants to pre-game and get a drink beforehand, drop a line.

Yesterday, I saw the documentary of Coyote, the film about Mike Plant. The film is really, really good. I've emailed Mr. Clean my review of the film.

The film director suggested that people join their email list to receive upcoming film dates, possibly in their area.  

This is the link to the Coyote Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/coyotemovie

Here is a video interview of Thomas Simmons the director filmed at the theater.

I remember seeing Coyote at Concordia, first time i saw a 55 gallon drum of West System epoxy.

For those who are waiting to see this documentary...

COYOTE just received the **AUDIENCE AWARD** in the Feature Documentary category at the 2017 Twin-Cities Film Festival. Also a FINALIST for **BEST DOCUMENTARY** .. what a week! The first film in TCFF history to warrant a 4th screening and all 4 SOLD OUT!

Audience Award.png

19 hours ago, samc99us said:

Has this been picked up by a distributor yet? If not please let me know as I can assist in that matter.

You can contact the film people at this email address

CoyoteDocumentary@gmail.com

Those in Minnesota have a second chance to see this documentary, and help raise funds for the new Mike Plant Center.

From the Coyote Facebook page: We're coming back on November 18th for a special event with Wayzata Community Sailing Center. TWO SCREENINGS of COYOTE at Excelsior Dock Cinema - all proceeds going to support the new Mike Plant Center on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. Please consider coming out to see the film, all for a great cause - one that is near and dear to the spirit of our efforts in sharing Mike's story. Tickets can be accessed below!

Join us Saturday 11/18 for two showings of the epic COYOTE Movie hosted by the Dock Cinema! All proceeds help us Launch a Legacy with the new Mike Plant Center.