QBF

Mike Plant - Project Coyote the Movie

The Vendée Globe remembers Mike Plant, the only American entry in the 1st edition in 1989 and the man who the French affectionately called "Top Gun." Mike loved everything about this great race.. a challenge that encompassed his thirst for adventure and passion for the sea. Man on a mission in this picture! Thanks for sharing Vendée Globe!

https://www.facebook.com/VendeeGlobe/

934158400_MikePlant.thumb.jpg.ac4e40600b2d9468494b992a78157c3c.jpg

North Sails posted a tribute to Mike Plant, and Coyote: The Mike Plant Story

TRUE FILM ‘COYOTE’ CUTS TO THE CORE OF CHANGING LIFE TO CHASE A DREAM
Life of Legendary Sailor Mike Plant Made for a Movie Screen

A quarter century after American offshore racer Mike Plant vanished, a feature documentary film about his adventurous life has been released to wide acclaim. Plant splashed on to the international offshore scene after winning the 1986-87 BOC Challenge – a singlehanded race around the world – in a boat he built with his own hands on a bootstrapped budget. He went on to become a legend in the sport, twice setting the American record for the fastest singlehanded circumnavigation and recognized as one of five skippers in history to complete three solo laps of the planet at the time of his disappearance in 1992. “He was a game-changer,” North Sails President, Ken Read, says of Plant. “For a young guy like me he was a huge influence… toughest guy I’ve ever met.”

To read the rest of this article, click the following link
https://northsails.com/sailing/en/2018/11/coyote-the-mike-plant-story

1941283408_MikePlant.png.5749ee3d786c46c86adeded103cf953c.png

1 hour ago, QBF said:

“He was a game-changer,” North Sails President, Ken Read, says of Plant. For a young guy like me he was a huge influence… toughest guy I’ve ever met.”

Ken is quoted in the movie and where he spoke into the camera maybe a year ago or more? So Ken as President of North Sails only just doing this tribute via his website. Rip Van Winkle moment maybe?

Better late than never Ken but give yourself an uppercut for taking so long. I'm not surprised about lack of corporate awareness in sailing US. For instance let's not dwell on the family connection but Newport Volvo stopover this year a total fucking fail. Despite stuff like that Newport somehow conjured up taking the crown away from Anapolis as centre of US sailing. How does that work?

Little wonder sailing in the US is fucked, the current leaders there struggle remembering their hero's like Plant and argue over their foundations. Their flag carrying AC team is predominantly made up of foreigners from the CEO, skipper down.

The US the largest economy in the world does essentialy zip towards building sailing in all forms other than via North's providing a wardrobe and nothing else. Bit like the Chinese supply Smartphones, LCD TV's etc but not much else.  Can't wait for your next sailing sermon from the mount Ken...not.

Signed.. Underwhelmed and hoping Mike Plant is not rolling in his grave.

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ken is quoted in the movie and where he spoke into the camera maybe a year ago or more? So Ken as President of North Sails only just doing this tribute via his website. Rip Van Winkle moment maybe?

Better late than never Ken but give yourself an uppercut for taking so long. I'm not surprised about lack of corporate awareness in sailing US. For instance let's not dwell on the family connection but Newport Volvo stopover this year a total fucking fail. Despite stuff like that Newport somehow conjured up taking the crown away from Anapolis as centre of US sailing. How does that work?

Little wonder sailing in the US is fucked, the current leaders there struggle remembering their hero's like Plant and argue over their foundations.

The US the largest economy in the world does essentialy zip towards building sailing in all forms other than via North's providing a wardrobe and nothing else. Bit like the Chinese supply Smartphones, LCD TV's etc but not much else.  Can't wait for your next sermon from the mount Ken.

Signed.. Underwhelmed.

Everyone out of sync with the sailing world, apart from Jack. 

16 minutes ago, mad said:

Everyone out of sync with the sailing world, apart from Jack. 

Mad a cheap one line quip not befitting your knowledge, but the reality is the US is not pulling their weight and everyone is suffering for that. I don't mind being challenged by anyone thinking that is not the case.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad a cheap one line quip not befitting your knowledge, but the reality is the US is not pulling their weight and everyone is suffering for that. I don't mind being challenged by anyone thinking that is not the case.

It may well be the case, but is there really any onus on any country to pull their weight as you say? 

Its a voluntary sport and pastime, not mandatory. 

19 minutes ago, mad said:

It may well be the case, but is there really any onus on any country to pull their weight as you say? 

Its a voluntary sport and pastime, not mandatory. 

Mad it goes way beyond just individual participation which in the US is heading to the basement. On the building, manufacturer and technology front the US has literally disappeared off the map. Be it a Navtec, Hall Spars etc the list of dissapearing pioneers many 4 and 5 decades old has been growing for years. The offshore world in particular is now Euro centric both technological and participation. It now won't grow without the US waking from the dead.

As I said Plant who flew the US flag with pride would be rolling in his grave.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad it goes way beyond just individual participation which in the US is heading to the basement. On the building, manufacturer and technology front the US has literally disappeared off the map. Be it a Navtec, Hall Spars etc the list of dissapearing pioneers many 4 and 5 decades old has been growing for years. The offshore world in particular is now Euro centric both technological and participation. It now won't grow without the US waking from the dead.

As I said Plant who flew the US flag with pride would be rolling in his grave.

Maybe it’s time to realise and accept that sailing is going to dwindle? People don’t have the time or cash that they used to and will move to other options that suit them. 

57 minutes ago, mad said:

Maybe it’s time to realise and accept that sailing is going to dwindle? People don’t have the time or cash that they used to and will move to other options that suit them. 

Mad sailing is not dwindling. Some countries it is going gangbusters. In the US as with some others it is not dwindling, it is already on fuckin life support. Using your words of "time and cash" availability the US is arguably at the top of the tree is it not?

Yet hypothetically say pick a Mike Plant favourite event to watch if he was around today like Class 40's in the RdR just finished and numbering 50 or so at the start. I think just @Rail Meat and one other American? RM's finish placing BTW for a old, fat, balding guy with motivation to burn was probably one of the most inspirational things I have watched in sailing for a long time.

If only Trump liked sailing like the Kennedy's, invited RM to the White House (hopefully not RM making it obvious he was perving on the First Lady's blow up tits) and POTUS pinned some medal on him like they do in France, then all would be solved in the US Sailing scene. :-)

Until US sailing reinvents itself, finds some heros and prospers, the world sailing scene will be the loser is my opinion. The US are currently a world wide sailing handbrake and Plant would be pissed.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Until US sailing reinvents itself, finds some heros and prospers, the world sailing scene will be the loser is my opinion. The US are currently a world wide sailing handbrake and Plant would be pissed.

i don't see it happening. when sailing was strong here in the 70's, 80's , thru mid 90's there were no action sports of any significance unless you include surfing ,skateboarding and skiing and none of those had the #'s like they do now. now , we had multiple generations growing up surfing , skating, snowboarding , motocross , all of those have grown leaps and bounds here , along with the typical football , basketball , baseball. kids just arent introduced to it unless they have an active parent, and even then , if their friends aren't doing it, they probably wont either. kids ( at least here in socal ) don't sail. i grew up here sailing and i was always the only kid in school that sailed , and i grew up near the coast my entire life. out buoy racing and in the yacht club i was almost always one of a few kids there. the junior programs in long beach and marina del rey were weak when i raced sabots and lasers. not sure thats perfectly accurate to the rest of the country , but that's my experience .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigrpowr said:

i don't see it happening. when sailing was strong here in the 70's, 80's , thru mid 90's there were no action sports of any significance ..

Big but those wider recreational choices competing with sailing for people's leisure time generally applies world wide and as you say is certainly a big factor. Howevet the US seems to have to have slumped further than anyone else when theoretically you would expect that with the excellent sailing infrastucture, good economy etc to be one of the last to fall. Anyway it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Big but those wider recreational choices competing with sailing for people's leisure time generally applies world wide and as you say is certainly a big factor. Howevet the US seems to have to have slumped further than anyone else when theoretically you would expect that with the excellent sailing infrastucture, good economy etc to be one of the last to fall. Anyway it is what it is.

agreed, but ... i think the X Games killed any chance. it's just too niche here. it will be really dead in 20 years .

US Corporate advertising dollars is there, but there is little to no interest in corporation to spend it on sailing or other ventures that the general population that has little interest in the sport.

Sailing in the US has a passing public interest, while in other countries sailing is a major public event.

France had/has Eric Taberly, and now Francis Joyon, Thomas Coville, François Gabart, Armel Le Cléac’h, etc...

The UK had/has Sir Francis Chichester, Alec Rose, Robin Knox Johnston, Sam Davis, Alex Thomson, etc...

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:40 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Mad sailing is not dwindling. Some countries it is going gangbusters. In the US as with some others it is not dwindling, it is already on fuckin life support. Using your words of "time and cash" availability the US is arguably at the top of the tree is it not?

Yet hypothetically say pick a Mike Plant favourite event to watch if he was around today like Class 40's in the RdR just finished and numbering 50 or so at the start. I think just @Rail Meat and one other American? RM's finish placing BTW for a old, fat, balding guy with motivation to burn was probably one of the most inspirational things I have watched in sailing for a long time.

If only Trump liked sailing like the Kennedy's, invited RM to the White House (hopefully not RM making it obvious he was perving on the First Lady's blow up tits) and POTUS pinned some medal on him like they do in France, then all would be solved in the US Sailing scene. :-)

Does it really matter??

At the end of the day,  Its just a sport and a fairly elitist one at that.  Nothing lasts forever. 

• Like 1

One thing that forever changed US Sailing was cheap, simple Lasers.   New England was on fire for racing thru ‘70’s into ‘90’s.   We spread out into other boats and Laser training/technique won races.

Everything changes, the rest catch up and the buzz of Lasers dimmed a bit.   And cheap hulls.   The $500 boat left on the side of some grandma’s house & won districts - they were all bought up.

I was a typical New England grinder, 3000 races in ten seasons.   And that’s what pretty much everyone else was doing...the Ed Adams and the rest of the Newport#413 fleet all hammering year round.  Lasers, Stars , Solings, J-24’s.

You get the family & business going and say goodbye to year round campaigning.   Or you burnout (me) and move to a warm climate (SoCal) and relax....and gasp at the price of new boats and the amount of travel involved in campaigning out West.

Looking back I think New England is a special place for developing sailing skills and there’s a lot of pros around to inspire the young ones.   That will never change,  I think the rest of the country went elsewhere with their time & money - save for a couple obvious exceptions.

I tell young guys to get the hell down to Dago, New England or Oz and up your game to compete agst the best . You gotta go where the action is or your wasting time.  This may change around here - we need winners in new classes to fire the young guys up.  We’re behind but it only takes one guy with some big wins and overnite there will a bunch of guys building fleets around “that guy” and his go-fast buddies.   Bound to happen - there’s 300 million of us!   

During the 1980's and 1990's Rhode Island was one of the mecca's of singlehanded long distance racing. Not just in the USA, but in all the world.

Solo sailers during that period that lived in Rhode Island included:

* Mike Plant

* Richard Konkolski

* Guy Bernadin

* Jean Pierre Mouligne

Mike Plant and Guy Bernadin are dead, and I've lost contact with Richard Konkolski during the past 7/8-years or so... I do not know if Jean Pierre Mouligne still resides in RI, but he was there in 2011 and provided help to Francis Joyon when he moored his last tri during a hurricane after it capsized, was re-righted and was on it's way back to France.