PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

What happened to em?

What happened to em?

Well the Harley thread just fell apart and the sport bike thread took off at 200mph-

Or more likely, woody is having a tantrum and deleting threads in which he cannot control who posts what-

Fuck motorcycles.

You have an unusual fetish...😒

NTTAWWT

Or more likely, woody is having a tantrum and deleting threads in which he cannot control who posts what-

I dointe thick cane do that, threades heare our licke herpees or house in dodgey side of towne.

Why don't we just have guns and bikes thread, then you can all stay there and bitch fight?

Hell! Get Woody involved with a few cougars and raccoons with a touch of Wofsey to cap it off and you're good to go.

shouldnt you be out taking badly shot pictures of shitty parts you slapped on your paint shaker? Or are the weather reports taking up too much time, you vapid insignificant little cunt?

Why don't we just have guns and bikes thread, then you can all stay there and bitch fight?

Hell! Get Woody involved with a few cougars and raccoons with a touch of Wofsey to cap it off and you're good to go.

wille driive some to drick morre.

wille driive some to drick morre.

I'm building up to a return to the PUI thread. What more can I say?

Do guns come with conchos, studded chaps and fringed vests and free waffles?

I fucking hope not, otherwise I'm gonna have to give up shooting.

Don't quit, just pick new targets! Like conchos, studded chaps and fringed vests.

Don't quit, just pick new targets! Like conchos, studded chaps and fringed vests.
That sounds like the next gun incident.

"Mass shooting at gay biker festival"

Edit

Or are you just reminiscing about a swingers night?

Id take pictures if I were a swinger- post em here in the Latex n leather anarchy for those who "ride" so everyone here could tell me how awesome I am for participating.

The guys played a practical joke on me the other day. I've got a Honda 305 which was my very first bike from very long ago, had to keep it at others places because if my Mom found out...well...it is unlikely I would be around to talk about this at all.

For whatever reason I've never been able to sell it. Keep it in tippity top shape as some kind of talisman, I guess. Had lots of dirt bikes and a couple road bikes but the first love is always the best. Anywho I ride it to work once every couple months because it can't be in tippity top shape unless it is ridden at least a bit. "Somebody" had taken note of my fetish for the thing and took some slightly used oil and carefully dribbled it from the case to a form a small puddle on the ground under it. I noticed enough giggling to indicate several people, at least, were in on it.

This means war...

I was disappointed in the motorcycle threads. I was expecting a three ring shit show, and it was more like a playground shoving match.

The guys played a practical joke on me the other day. I've got a Honda 305 which was my very first bike from very long ago, had to keep it at others places because if my Mom found out...well...it is unlikely I would be around to talk about this at all.

For whatever reason I've never been able to sell it. Keep it in tippity top shape as some kind of talisman, I guess. Had lots of dirt bikes and a couple road bikes but the first love is always the best. Anywho I ride it to work once every couple months because it can't be in tippity top shape unless it is ridden at least a bit. "Somebody" had taken note of my fetish for the thing and took some slightly used oil and carefully dribbled it from the case to a form a small puddle on the ground under it. I noticed enough giggling to indicate several people, at least, were in on it.

This means war...

Heh- that's good- even dropped it on the case to give you a trail to follow... Evil...

I unwittingly did that to myself once- I had just finished the complete rebuild of my vmax and was riding it from my home to Johnstown pa where there's a yearly gathering of a hundred or so vmax every year- so I'm about 5hrs into my ride, it's about 90° and I'm in full leather gear- I stopped to get fuel and some liquids and cool off a bit- I fill the bike then buy a Gatorade, a purple Gatorade- I slam 2/3rds of the bottle, light a smoke, lay bottle across my seat and like any good ADHD afflicted person would, I became distracted by the shiny bits on my bike and eventually forgot my Gatorade and walked into the rest area to piss-

I return to find a puddle of purple liquid dripping off the bottom of my motor- I had just recently flushed the cooling system and replaced it with a purple coolant so my first and only thought was oh fuck!! And oh fuck it was, I traced the leak up to the middle of the 'v' in my motor and found a small pool in an indent that was directly adjacent to the head gasket, which were also apart during the refit... Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck... I'm now pacing and trying to think of who I can call, what I can fix with what I have, I'm sweating, I'm right on the verge of a full meltdown when I pick up the Gatorade to finish it and realize it's mostly empty...wtf? The cap was cross threaded...

I knelt down, stuck my finger in the liquid and tasted it- twice, cause there's not much difference between the two, I realized it was Gatorade... I had successfully punked myself...

I can feel the chest tightening, gut dropping feeling you had when you saw that puddle.. Kudos to your coworkers! Well done!

I was disappointed in the motorcycle threads. I was expecting a three ring shit show, and it was more like a playground shoving match.

like all playground shoving matches, it ended with someone taking their ball and going home to pout.

This means war...

Heh- that's good- even dropped it on the case to give you a trail to follow... Evil...

I unwittingly did that to myself once- I had just finished the complete rebuild of my vmax and was riding it from my home to Johnstown pa where there's a yearly gathering of a hundred or so vmax every year- so I'm about 5hrs into my ride, it's about 90° and I'm in full leather gear- I stopped to get fuel and some liquids and cool off a bit- I fill the bike then buy a Gatorade, a purple Gatorade- I slam 2/3rds of the bottle, light a smoke, lay bottle across my seat and like any good ADHD afflicted person would, I became distracted by the shiny bits on my bike and eventually forgot my Gatorade and walked into the rest area to piss-

I return to find a puddle of purple liquid dripping off the bottom of my motor- I had just recently flushed the cooling system and replaced it with a purple coolant so my first and only thought was oh fuck!! And oh fuck it was, I traced the leak up to the middle of the 'v' in my motor and found a small pool in an indent that was directly adjacent to the head gasket, which were also apart during the refit... Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck... I'm now pacing and trying to think of who I can call, what I can fix with what I have, I'm sweating, I'm right on the verge of a full meltdown when I pick up the Gatorade to finish it and realize it's mostly empty...wtf? The cap was cross threaded...

I knelt down, stuck my finger in the liquid and tasted it- twice, cause there's not much difference between the two, I realized it was Gatorade... I had successfully punked myself...

I can feel the chest tightening, gut dropping feeling you had when you saw that puddle.. Kudos to your coworkers! Well done!

Ha Ha.... self inflicted wounds are the ones that hurt the worse.

The V-Max would be in my dream bike garage if I had more money then sense.

They can be had pretty reasonably but the trick is finding unmolested ones or ones with a documented past- theyre out there though-

My problem is I never have money and sense at the same time-

Sense is a lazy fuck who always shows up late and says stupid shit like " Uh yeah, you probably shouldn't have bought that".

There's an opposite side to that too. Sense shows up and says "what the fuck were you thinking buying that lump of shite?"

What happened to em?

Well the Harley thread just fell apart and the sport bike thread took off at 200mph-

Might have been my fault, I threatened to post this 204511e89c158af348dd8ea6b392b050.jpgin his Harley thread...

Almost tagged an idiot passing on the right on a donorcycle last night...slow lane, right signal on, offramp coming up, he's going like a bat out of hell, I don't have a mirror on the right side...first I heard of his obnoxiously loud pipes was after he swerved into the shoulder to go around.

Guest Dabnis

Dirt bikes:

"Play now, pay later"

After riding & racing for 30 years, I am now in the "Paying" stage. It was great fun however, , when I "Got it right" :D

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/library/Motorcycles?sort=3&page=1

Paul T

Nice.... How badly did you hurt that rock?

"Trail riding", Western States Trail, El Dorado National Forest. Rock may have a slight scratch. I had broken arm, thigh

torn open to the bone, about a foot long scar remains, & helicopter ride out from Deadwood canyon to the Grass valley hospital.

Hit a rock I didn't see on the trail, went off the side of a steep ravine, "rag dolled" about 100 feet down until stopped by a downed tree,

lucky it was there. Had I been riding alone I would have died. It took my riding partners a long time to find me.

Not good to ride off road alone.

Paul T

What happened to em?

My original intent was to get people who ride to share their experiences in the SA Forum

Motorcycles "Love Em or Hate Em" Are now a Topic of interest/Posts on SA

My work is done ^_^

• Like 1

This means war...

The old Honda Dream from the late 60s? I'd like to see pics of that, Mark - if ya wouldn't mind sharing, they were great old bikes.

Guest Dabnis

Ah, KTM's ? I had a 1975 KTM, 400cc 2 stroke "Gelendasport", or something like that. with me at 155 lbs, it was a "Handful"

Rode a few desert races with it & decided I might die if I kept it,

Sold it to one of my riding partners who was 15 years younger & much stronger than me, He was much more experienced than me,

rode flat track & road raced.First ride out on it he promptly augured his head into the ground, said it was the most evil

bike he had ever ridden, even worse than Bultacos. He promptly sold it, & bought a 450cc Maico square barrel moto cross bike.

He let me ride it, great low end power, long wheelbase, super stable, low seat, great for drifting long sweepers. It did, however,

bite back a bit when starting it if you didn't kick it as hard as you could, great motorcycle. My 400 Husky was very similar.

Paul T

Ah, KTM's ? I had a 1975 KTM, 400cc 2 stroke "Gelendasport", or something like that. with me at 155 lbs, it was a "Handful"

Sold it to one of my riding partners who was 15 years younger & much stronger than me, He was much more experienced than me,

rode flat track & road raced.First ride out on it he promptly augured his head into the ground, said it was the most evil

bike he had ever ridden, even worse than Bultacos. He promptly sold it, & bought a 450cc Maico square barrel moto cross bike.

He let me ride it, great low end power, long wheelbase, super stable, low seat, great for drifting long sweepers. It did, however,

bite back a bit when starting it if you didn't kick it as hard as you could, great motorcycle. My 400 Husky was very similar.

Paul T

Had a Maico 400 Sand Spider... with the 4 speed box

I use to say that bike was built for the Hollister Gran Prix track.. only used 2nd and 3rd gears the whole race... that dam thing could dig trenches and pulled that hill like it had a disel engine and an automatic tranny....

You're bringing back some memoies... I got to dig some of my old pics out....

B. MIller... nice choice of bike... I had a KTM 250MX... even schleped it back to Unadilla one year.... Yeah what they say about that track it true.... it does kick you ass..

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Had a Maico 400 Sand Spider... with the 4 speed box

I use to say that bike was built for the Hollister Gran Prix track.. only used 2nd and 3rd gears the whole race... that dam thing could dig trenches and pulled that hill like it had a disel engine and an automatic tranny....

You're bringing back some memoies... I got to dig some of my old pics out....

B. MIller... nice choice of bike... I had a KTM 250MX... even schleped it back to Unadilla one year.... Yeah what they say about that track it true.... it does kick you ass..

I rode Hollister once, climbed some of the steepest climbs I can remember, on my AJS 360 2 stroke. Going back down used to scare me,

Remember compression releases?

Used to ride lots of Enduros, but the hardest race I ran, three times, in the early 70's Was the Virginia City, Nevada Grand Prix. At that time we went

5 hours, one or two stops for gas, lot of rocks.

http://www.vcgp.com/ Well worth the 5 minutes.

Was lucky enough to finish, about half way up in my class. As you can see, I ate a lot of dust. Looking back,

I have no idea why I did that. :D

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00022_zpsdff95bd9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Paul T

I rode Hollister once, climbed some of the steepest climbs I can remember, on my AJS 360 2 stroke. Going back down used to scare me,

Yeah…. I remember those things…

Never did any of the Grand Prix out here... they were pretty much akin to what we called Hare-Scrambles on the east coast... I did the Kennedy Meadows Enduro once on a stock KDX 200… that was a blast. But not like the ones we had through the woods of central Pennsylvania.. Trail… what trail… just follow the arrows… or one of the Penton brothers if you can keep up with them

The Grand Prix track at Hollister was used for the AMA and FIM 500CC MX Grand Prix races.... Was over there just about every other weekend burning up five gallons of 100LL and Yamalube when I lived Morgan Hill... Got hooked up with Brad Lackey once when I was out there…. It was pretty cool to go riding with the guys that were your heroes at one time.

Guest Dabnis

Yeah…. I remember those things…

Never did any of the Grand Prix out here... they were pretty much akin to what we called Hare-Scrambles on the east coast... I did the Kennedy Meadows Enduro once on a stock KDX 200… that was a blast. But not like the ones we had through the woods of central Pennsylvania.. Trail… what trail… just follow the arrows… or one of the Penton brothers if you can keep up with them

The Grand Prix track at Hollister was used for the AMA and FIM 500CC MX Grand Prix races.... Was over there just about every other weekend burning up five gallons of 100LL and Yamalube when I lived Morgan Hill... Got hooked up with Brad Lackey once when I was out there…. It was pretty cool to go riding with the guys that were your heroes at one time.

"The old days" ? in about 1969 I went into the Dudley Perkins Harley Davidson shop in San Francisco to look at Harley's "Dirt bike",

an "Aramacchi" ,or something like that? A group of about 6 people came in. In the middle was this little guy, even smaller than me, his arms

were all scrapped up. Anyway, he was definitely the "King pin" of attention. Later on I found out it was Mert Lawill.

I can't remember how many Enduros I ran, mostly in the Mendocino & Tahoe National Forests. Cowbell, Sawmill, Jack Hammer , 49er,

& the list goes on. They used to run,"rain or shine" in the early 70's, lots of snow, ice, & high river crossings. In the 69 or 70 Cow bell,

which luckily I didn't ride, many riders, hundreds, I think, got stuck in the Eel River canyon, took a week or two to helicopter many of them out.

Some waited until they could get back in there & brought their bikes out in pieces: One of my riding partners made the climb out & finished

in the top 10, he was a really good rider. :

https://www.google.com/search?q=cowbell+enduro,+1969&start=10&sa=N&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&imgil=lT_ehPV2-7tEdM%253A%253BI0Hfu3S7zd9EnM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.sfvintagecycle.com%25252Fblog%25252Fcowbell-enduro-1970&source=iu&pf=m&fir=lT_ehPV2-7tEdM%253A%252CI0Hfu3S7zd9EnM%252C_&dpr=1.25&usg=__ygfpuG6sXKQ7rN_YVwkjiPl9VtA%3D&ved=0CDAQyjc4Cg&ei=RAKfVeO4HsWXyASQ16SoBQ#imgrc=lT_ehPV2-7tEdM%3A&usg=__ygfpuG6sXKQ7rN_YVwkjiPl9VtA%3D

Most Enduros I rode required me to ride flat out just to keep from houring out. I can't remember ever burning a check point. To the

best of my knowledge, they can't/don't run in those conditions anymore? Most of the courses had lots of slippery single track

much of which your bars just barely fit through. That was before "Bark busters", always fun to have your clutch hand flattened to the bar

& loose your drive up a steep hill. :D

Anyway, it was fun at the time.

Paul T

11391459_749562508496754_896211650092565

The Fatboys badass Fatboy. B)

Its a 96 with mild jetting and the baffels taken out. Will post the new mods as I install them. Love this ride.

11391459_749562508496754_896211650092565

The Fatboys badass Fatboy. B)

Its a 96 with mild jetting and the baffels taken out. Will post the new mods as I install them. Love this ride.

You need to fire your gardener - your lawn looks terrible. :-)

Trailer could probably use a little air in the tires as well... B)

Hey! This isn't lawn critique anarchy. 😒

It's a motorcycle thread.

Besides you can't fire yourself can you?

Hey! This isn't lawn critique anarchy.

Nothing wrong with redneck lawncare, water the dirt, mow what comes up. At least I have an excuse, the megadrought here in SoCal. B)

Dabs...

Here ya go

Maico 250.... my last east coast bike

Maico.jpg

CZ 250 Falta Replica... you remember these? Cost me $520 someting brand new!!!! A lot of lawm mowing and car washing to get this

CZ.jpg

One of my last races @ Hangtown

Hangtown.jpg

And of couse the Hollister Drop Off

Hollister.jpg

Hey! This isn't lawn critique anarchy.

Nothing wrong with redneck lawncare, water the dirt, mow what comes up. At least I have an excuse, the megadrought here in SoCal. B)

Can slaves be fired, I thought they could just be sold!

Well in my defense that's the back 40 where I store equipment and other crap. My land is so high and dry the rest of the panhandle could be flooded by hurricane and there's no standing water here.

Theres a perfectly good tractor sitting right there!!!!

Your right... The Honda is just out of fhe frame. But it leaks oil and coolent and I don't want to kill my weeds. 😆

Guest Dabnis

Dabs...

Here ya go

Maico 250.... my last east coast bike

Maico.jpg

CZ 250 Falta Replica... you remember these? Cost me $520 someting brand new!!!! A lot of lawm mowing and car washing to get this

CZ.jpg

One of my last races @ Hangtown

Hangtown.jpg

And of couse the Hollister Drop Off

Hollister.jpg

Looking back on it, I should have bought a Maico instead of my AJS. I think Maicos cost more at the time? IIRC, the new 1970 AJS cost

about $1,000 at the time. Almost bought a 360 cc Bultaco Dandido:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bultaco+bandido+motorcycles+models&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&imgil=-Q5ijw-9--5u0M%253A%253Bg0hWpRgGYPasHM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.earlyyearsofmx.com%25252Fbultacoelbandito.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=-Q5ijw-9--5u0M%253A%252Cg0hWpRgGYPasHM%252C_&usg=__AJtyRqBXChAI3yhkoOaadpyO7wY%3D&ved=0CCkQyjc&ei=niCgVZA5xt6gBL7PmIAC#imgrc=-Q5ijw-9--5u0M%3A&usg=__AJtyRqBXChAI3yhkoOaadpyO7wY%3D

But after riding one, it scared me. :(

Thanks for the pictures, back when vans were a big deal. One of my riding partners had one, tricky to load, "Keep your head down"

He had a Husky with the shiny steel chrome tank.

"Drop offs" ? I liked to climb but hated steep, rutty downhills. Took probably my hardest fall on one at Cow Mountain, in

Mendocino county, bike kicked out of gear, instant acceleration, tried to 'ride it out", big mistake, big crash at the bottom. :wacko:

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

Incredible!! the guy got up & walked off the road, unbelievable. I did very little street riding, I knew I would die if I continued.

It didn't dawn on me that the throttle was adjustable.

During the 70's I belonged to the Marin County Motorcycle Association. We leased riding rights from a cattle rancher in western Marin

County in northern California on about 2,000 acres, about 20 minutes from my house in Petaluma, lots of tight technical terrain:

They still ride there, but no longer when it is wet:

http://www.mcmadirt.com/about.html

Paul T

Kewl! I grew up riding dirt bikes in the piney woods and "clay Pitts" of central Fla. Yamahahas and Kawasakis were our rides.

Guest Dabnis

Kewl! I grew up riding dirt bikes in the piney woods and "clay Pitts" of central Fla. Yamahahas and Kawasakis were our rides.

Started riding at age 33, way too late, on a Honda trail 90, then a 120 Kawasaki "Trail" bike, then I got serious

with a 360 AJS Moto Cross bike, & the list goes on. :D Quit riding when I was about 65. I can remember

when the European bikes, Husky, Maico, Bultaco, Ossa, Montessa, a few AJS' & Greeves, Pentons, which

were KTM's, I think, DKW's & the rest, were starting to make inroads on the Japanese bikes.

Mufflers? What were those? With all the push from environmentalists against off road vehicle use, I am

surprised there is any riding allowed anywhere anymore, let alone organized events like Enduros

& Hare & Hounds. We used to do a fair amount of 4 wheeling, but not so much anymore. Little by

little, open riding areas have been shut down or reduced.

Paul T

Little by little, open riding areas have been shut down or reduced.

Paul T

It wasn't beauty the killed the beast, it was the airplanes!!!!! In this case the lawyers...

We had a few areas here that were shut down when someone got hurt and sued the land owner... Hell we had Honda Land over here in Simi Valley where they use to test and developed the CRs along with the team training area… We got in there a few times due to a buddy of mine that was involved with Stunts Unlimited and knew Johnny O'Mera.. That got shut down due to some idiots going in there one day riding with out permission and one guy getting airlifted out.. Of course the parents sued the land owner.

Same went for Indian Dunes, the owner had one law suite to many and shut it down… they kept filming stuff there, now it is just an open field..

Guest Dabnis

Little by little, open riding areas have been shut down or reduced.

Paul T

It wasn't beauty the killed the beast, it was the airplanes!!!!! In this case the lawyers...

We had a few areas here that were shut down when someone got hurt and sued the land owner... Hell we had Honda Land over here in Simi Valley where they use to test and developed the CRs along with the team training area… We got in there a few times due to a buddy of mine that was involved with Stunts Unlimited and knew Johnny O'Mera.. That got shut down due to some idiots going in there one day riding with out permission and one guy getting airlifted out.. Of course the parents sued the land owner.

Same went for Indian Dunes, the owner had one law suite to many and shut it down… they kept filming stuff there, now it is just an open field..

Oh yes, "Deep pockets", the liability lawyer's motto: "Find the money & go after it", or something like that. I should have been more

specific, I was referring more to public lands, Forest Service, BLM, & State. I remember reading about privately owned riding areas in

Southern California, as you mentioned, thing of the past, I presume?

The only private riding area in Northern California that I knew of was the club I belonged to in the 70's, the Marin County Motorcycle

Association, that I posted links on in my post #59. Even though it was private property, some of the Marin County Board of Supervisors

wanted us out of there because we "didn't fit in with what Marin County represents"

They tried to get Fish & Game to get us out as Salmon Creek ran through the property. Long story short, we performed a

huge list of "Mitigating factors" & were "allowed" to stay. The club still operates today, but are only allowed to ride when it

is dry. I believe a lot of the desert riding areas "down south" have been closed?

Paul T

This is my ride all dressed up. I just bought highway bars off craigslist and will install em this week. Other then that I will keep her just like this.1908150_765616256891379_8529145455723496

Guest Dabnis

This is my ride all dressed up. I just bought highway bars off craigslist and will install em this week. Other then that I will keep her just like this.1908150_765616256891379_8529145455723496

Ah, interesting. What are highway bars? Is there any form of rear suspension besides your butt? Are those mufflers, & if so, do they

muffle much? The sound of Harley's reminds me of the sound of the big thumping Pratt &n Whitney radial aircraft engines in the

De Havilland float planes we used to take in when salmon fishing in British Columbia"

https://www.google.com/search?q=De+Havilland+float+planes&sa=X&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&imgil=9yNppSs76vBeTM%253A%253BULkDZFkvZStu2M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fdheroux.wordpress.com%25252F2011%25252F07%25252F02%25252Fnorthern-saskatchewan-plane-crash-kills-five%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9yNppSs76vBeTM%253A%252CULkDZFkvZStu2M%252C_&usg=__EfiJjoqQpxj9LhxDkSnGUg7S_D4%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=0VyhVfbVLsK3oQTwtJiQAQ#imgrc=9yNppSs76vBeTM%3A&usg=__EfiJjoqQpxj9LhxDkSnGUg7S_D4%3D

Lumpy idle, "Rumpty, rumpty" :D Neat sounds.

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

Just remembered this one, a casual "trail ride" :D

A lot of the Western States Trail, that we rode a lot, was just like in the video.

"Don't kill it", You will always fall off the down side.

Paul T

Ah, interesting. What are highway bars? Is there any form of rear suspension besides your butt? Are those mufflers, & if so, do they

muffle much? The sound of Harley's reminds me of the sound of the big thumping Pratt &n Whitney radial aircraft engines in the

De Havilland float planes we used to take in when salmon fishing in British Columbia"

https://www.google.com/search?q=De+Havilland+float+planes&sa=X&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&imgil=9yNppSs76vBeTM%253A%253BULkDZFkvZStu2M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fdheroux.wordpress.com%25252F2011%25252F07%25252F02%25252Fnorthern-saskatchewan-plane-crash-kills-five%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9yNppSs76vBeTM%253A%252CULkDZFkvZStu2M%252C_&usg=__EfiJjoqQpxj9LhxDkSnGUg7S_D4%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=0VyhVfbVLsK3oQTwtJiQAQ#imgrc=9yNppSs76vBeTM%3A&usg=__EfiJjoqQpxj9LhxDkSnGUg7S_D4%3D

Paul T

Highway bars attached to the frame in front of the floorboards so that you can put your feet up and get more comfortable during long rides. There are two shocks hidden in the frame they work perfectly fine. Since I don't like aloud bike I still have the baffles in the mufflers .

What gives Harley that sound is it is a single pin motor meaning the Pistons go up and down together.

My Honda had a similar single pin set up but didn't quite sound like this Harley does.

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Highway bars attached to the frame in front of the floorboards so that you can put your feet up and get more comfortable during long rides. There are two shocks hidden in the frame they work perfectly fine. Since I don't like aloud bike I still have the baffles in the mufflers .

What gives Harley that sound is it is a single pin motor meaning the Pistons go up and down together.

My Honda had a similar single pin set up but didn't quite sound like this Harley does.

Yes, I am familiar with the "Master, "slave" rod concept. The big radial aircraft engines are like a 7 or 9 cylinder Harley.

I Have heard the Japanese V Twins, not quite the same sound as a Harley? Do Harley's leak oil? :D

Every year in September there is an event called "Street Vibrations", held in Reno, Nevada, about 40 miles east of us.

This site says about 50,000 "Enthusiasts" participate. Interstate 80, a main east west freeway, runs right through Truckee.

http://www.motorcyclemonster.com/events/street-vibrations-fall-rally-2015-09-23-Reno-NV.html

For about 4 days we hear "Rolling Thunder" from our house, about 4 miles from the freeway.

During that time, Truckee ifs full of participants, many appear to be very "Colorful characters".

Paul T

Honda can make a bike that can run & sound as bad as a Hardley. Only Hardley sued them for copyright infringement, they've copyrighted the sound of their outdated inefficient 45 degree one pin motor.

After all, that's all they have to offer.

Guest Dabnis

Honda can make a bike that can run & sound as bad as a Hardley. Only Hardley sued them for copyright infringement, they've copyrighted the sound of their outdated inefficient 45 degree one pin motor.

"Copyright a sound"? That is interesting. Do Harley's leak oil? The only British bike I had, a new 1970 AJS, leaked oil before it had

10 minutes on it. The dealer said "They all do that, it is not a problem" :D

Paul T

"Copyright a sound"? That is interesting. Do Harley's leak oil? The only British bike I had, a new 1970 AJS, leaked oil before it had

10 minutes on it. The dealer said "They all do that, it is not a problem" :D

Paul T

Could be worse, you might have one of 1200 BMW's with the non-serviceable "lifetime" shaft final drives. "Lifetime" meaning when it does blow up and your 5yr-Platinum warranty doesn't cover it, that's the lifetime of that bike.

r1200gs_final_drive_fire-L.jpg

First of all kiss my ass secondly they sued Honda because the Aero looked too close to the soft tail Fatboy and Classic. Get your facts straight idiot .

First of all kiss my ass secondly they sued Honda because the Aero looked too close to the soft tail Fatboy and Classic. Get your facts straight idiot .

Puff....

Harley also sued Honda and Yamaha over the sound, the Honda case is the larger of the two because they (Honda) fought it... Honda tried to duplicate the sound using both an engine design as well as an electronic thingy and modified exhaust.

In the end Harley gave up as they saw they were losing. And I believe has since got a copywrite on the sound…

Regarding Honda stealing designs... wouldn’t be the first time... rumor has it Honda walked into a motorcycle showroom in Southern California, bought four or five Maicos and Husqvarnas still in the crates, shipped them to Japan, and came back a year later with the motocross bike line… Honda was the last of the Japanese companies to jump into this market.. but when they did!!!!!

Guest Dabnis

Oh my, interesting ad, likely to ruffle a few Harley feathers. It appears many Harley owners are quite loyal to their brand

& somewhat outspoken, I wonder if they leak oil? The bikes, that is.

IIRC, sometime in the 80s or so, Harley wasn't doing too well & got the "Government " to slap a big "Duty tax" or something like that,

on large Japanese imported bikes. I don't know much about road bike sales, but I think Honda sales weren't hurt that much?

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/04/02/business/us-raises-tariff-for-motorcycles.html

Paul T

I like this..

The action was exceptional for protecting a single American company, the Harley-Davidson Motor Company of Milwaukee, the sole surviving American maker of motorcycles.

The problem is HD are no longer 100% american made.... The frames and the engines are, but everyting else is imported to York, PA where they are assembeled...

Guest Dabnis

I like this..

The action was exceptional for protecting a single American company, the Harley-Davidson Motor Company of Milwaukee, the sole surviving American maker of motorcycles.

The problem is HD are no longer 100% american made.... The frames and the engines are, but everyting else is imported to York, PA where they are assembeled...

That may not matter? Seems like there are a whole lot of them on the road, not sure how many are "New"? Often times, you can

hear them before you see them.

A friend, a bit older than me, now dead, used to ride a "stripped down" Harley in the Cowbell Enduro in the late 40's Pictures he showed me were

similar to this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+old+Harley+enduro+motorcycles&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9ZGiVZGnDIngoAS2iLCgDQ&ved=0CDIQ7Ak#imgrc=MbCAj5fACJwvYM%3A

I can't believe anyone could ride something like that, no doubt well over 300 lbs, in muddy, rough conditions, but he was a big strong guy,

IIRC, he even trophied, back when "Men were men" :D Can't imagine trying to re-start a hot, 1,000cc Harley on a steep muddy climb.

Now the bikes have suspension, some with electric starters, too easy, not enough pain.

Paul T

Anyone else do these rides?

BBG-PATCH.jpgMILEEATER-PATCH.jpg

Sounds painful :D

Paul T

There used to be a Blackfly Rally up here for awhile, that was fun. And painful.

I had the Iron Butt on my bucket list, but it takes so much cash & prep time to be even close to competitive that I don't think I'll bother. Unless its something stupid like trying to win the Hopeless Class on a Honda Ruckus.

For those who haven't heard of it, the Iron Butt Rally is a biannual cross country scavenger hunt, 11000 miles in 11 days.

For mere mortals there's the Iron Butt Assoc recognized rides. 1000 miles in 24hrs, 1500 miles, ride around the Great Lakes, there's a bunch.

"11,000 miles"? Oh my, I thought 5 hours up on the pegs, through the rocks, was a long way.

Why would anybody want to do that?, the 11,000 miles, that is :D

Paul T

It is a competition...of course I say that about dirt riding. Why would anybody want to play in the dust & mud all day? :D

11,000 miles is just the minimum to finish, the top guys are doing 12k-14k, doing epic marathon rides like St.Louis to Prudhoe Bay Alaska to San Francisco. In 3 1/2 days.

A top rally attempt is half Cannonball Run, half chess match, optimum route plotting, with top bikes outfitted with enough electronics to power the Space Shuttle and extra fuel tanks to punch the range out to 1000 miles between fill ups.

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/iron-butt-2007/

Most take it a little less seriously, there was a couple from Montreal that would compete every rally,2up, on a ZX12 Ninja. They just loved riding together.

Guest Dabnis

"11,000 miles"? Oh my, I thought 5 hours up on the pegs, through the rocks, was a long way.

Why would anybody want to do that?, the 11,000 miles, that is :D

Paul T

It is a competition...of course I say that about dirt riding. Why would anybody want to play in the dust & mud all day? :D

11,000 miles is just the minimum to finish, the top guys are doing 12k-14k, doing epic marathon rides like St.Louis to Prudhoe Bay Alaska to San Francisco. In 3 1/2 days.

A top rally attempt is half Cannonball Run, half chess match, optimum route plotting, with top bikes outfitted with enough electronics to power the Space Shuttle and extra fuel tanks to punch the range out to 1000 miles between fill ups.

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/iron-butt-2007/

Most take it a little less seriously, there was a couple from Montreal that would compete every rally,2up, on a ZX12 Ninja. They just loved riding together.

"Dust & mud" ? Oh how true, towards the end of many an event I would be asking myself: "Self, why are you doing this?" :D

I didn't see how they track the bikes in the article?

Paul T

"Dust & mud" ? Oh how true, towards the end of many an event I would be asking myself: "Self, why are you doing this?" :D

My response to my uncle; who was an orthopedic surgeon, “show me another way to run two marathons a day while wresting with a 230 lb machine that can go from 0 to 60 in two seconds, over terrain that mountain goat with think twice about… and I’ll do it”

His follow up response was “motorcycles… good for business.”

I will say when I was racing, I was in pretty damm good shape

My response to my uncle; who was an orthopedic surgeon, “show me another way to run two marathons a day while wresting with a 230 lb machine that can go from 0 to 60 in two seconds, over terrain that mountain goat with think twice about… and I’ll do it”

Yeah, I worked in a trauma center. I would love to have a street bike but after what I have seen, I will never get on any motorcycle.

I raced motocross on a quad. That was the best shape I was ever in. I was also busting my ass like a madman in a cabinet shop seventy hours a week.

Then you have the Tevis Cup...

cougar_traci.jpg

elevation_sm.pngClick for larger version

100mi, 24 hours...

No, I'm not that crazy, but I've been on training rides where you think nfw are we going to make that... no mountain goats in that pic. No bridle either, for that matter. :blink:

<