PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

:o Those lil scooters can scoot!!!

puffyjman, on 17 Dec 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:snapback.png

:o Those lil scooters can scoot!!!

They are not impressive taking off

But they Fucking RIP around the roads with the mentality of a bicycle rider (No Fucks to give for Anyone's Life)

I would sure hate to be headed for a nice drive with a fine Lady, or on vacation And get 1 or 2 of them stuck in the Grill

I'll bet it's been Years cince they have got a ticket as I don't see them realizing a need to pull over

All That Said "Who The Fuck" was on their Ass shooting the Video ???

Going into those shaded corners from the bright sunlight gets pretty sporty at speed.....

Y'all are crazy but more fun to follow than the beemers that go through that road. I know they can go 200 and all that but in the canyons I'll take FWD and a small footprint. The more interesting part of that vid starts at 3:00 when there's a solo and more advanced rider. Interesting to, well, me anyway!

An interesting video of an interview of Nicky Haydens father about Nicky.

video snipped

what kind of car?

2012 golf with a few bolt ons and good tires (intake, lightweight pulley, sway bars, michelin)

thread appropriate, here's Paul Newman in Great Notion.

_35.jpg

Fortunately the human iris is quicker than that digital one, but yeah - I've beheld sun-dappled road conditions under a tree-canopy that went from bright sunshine to full shadow and back, repeatedly and it can definitely be a challenge - the sort of thing that makes those riders with a strong self-preservation instinct back off a bit.

I used to run up to the Rock Store (Mulholland Highway?) 6 times a year or so. Running just like that, the dark shadows are intimidating in early to mid morning!!

Freddie Spencer is 55 today.

(Boom ! you're old.)

Met him once when I sold him a car. I expected someone a little bigger, guessing you had to be more muscular to horse those bikes around, but he was jockey size.

Spend a couple hundred grand developing a Superbike and put some fat-ass on it ? No way. A quick look at any grid better than some club outing will yield very few extra pounds on the operator (and let's face it, one-piece racing leathers aren't very slimming) - I mean, those guys are nearly ALL freakin' rails, and most on the smaller side too. Nicky Hayden is about 5'9" and MAYBE 150.

as for the linked video - pretty funny how nobody is going all safety-nutty about there ( some other country, didn't bother seeing where) - heck they buzz that Policia car and it's pretty clear what's going on - two machines flat-out right on the center-stripe and clearly working the racing line - as a traveling companion once said to me:

" You must understand, here in Italy nobody holds the other guy's insanity against him." -- ( about my remarking how in sketchy situations Italian drivers just use the horn and never even touch the brakes) Hey, it works for them.

15871845_1845233069079845_19878421980408

Voodrrow;

You need sell still peace off sheet Hardly Ableson,

DA!

Ural better, not fall you over,,

, work better sidecar with drive when pavement nyet.

?? , , somebody need 'splain poor Voodrrow white stuff on ground ??

B)

Mike that is a horrible Russian accent..... :P

"Look at the top of the hill, get over the bars & stay on the gas" "Momentum is your friend"

It's amazing how many riders never figure out to lean way over the bars when they try to climb a steep hill. I can't count the number of people I watched trying to hillclimb while they sat on the seat.

I figured it out right away and never once went over backwards - even on some pretty extreme slopes.

Guest Dabnis

"Look at the top of the hill, get over the bars & stay on the gas" "Momentum is your friend"

It's amazing how many riders never figure out to lean way over the bars when they try to climb a steep hill. I can't count the number of people I watched trying to hillclimb while they sat on the seat.

I figured it out right away and never once went over backwards - even on some pretty extreme slopes.

How true, I should have said: "Up on the pegs, look at the top, get over the bars, & stay on the gas"

I used to like climbing, my 400 cc Husky Enduro 2 stroke was the best bike for it, long wheelbase, stable, good suspension,& lots of

low end torque. It would pull just about any hill in second gear. All I had to do was keep it going somewhat straight. Uphill was fun,

nasty, long, steep, gnarly down hills, not so much.

Best dirt bike I had over 30 years:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00012_zps4b11959b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Keep head up - look out for drivers with their head up their Ass & Bee extra carful around Lights

giphy.gif

Guest Dabnis

Man - it was his time!

One should always be in a "Heads up" mode.

Would have been better if the dude was wearing a coyote outfit

And the car was a rode runner !!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/polaris-shuts-down-the-victory-brand?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts|tpfn&utm_content=common-tread-news&utm_term=polaris-shuts-down-the-victory-brand-post-010917-|tpfn

POLARIS SHUTS DOWN THE VICTORY BRAND
victory_top.jpg

Polaris Industries is shutting down the Victory brand after 18 years and is putting all its motorcycle chips behind the Indian brand.

"This was an incredibly difficult decision for me, my team and the Polaris Board of Directors," said Polaris Industries Chairman and CEO Scott Wine in a news release announcing the change. "Over the past 18 years, we have invested not only resources, but our hearts and souls, into forging the Victory Motorcycles brand, and we are exceptionally proud of what our team has accomplished."

The news release stated that the company sees greater potential and strength with the Indian brand it acquired. "This decision will improve the profitability of Polaris and our global motorcycle business, and will materially improve our competitive stance in the industry," said Wine.

Polaris said the company will help dealers liquidate existing inventory and will provide parts support for 10 years.

Polaris has been hit by several blows lately. The company suffered expensive recalls for its RZR off-road vehicles (owners were told not to ride them because of fire hazard) and the on-road Slingshot. Sales of snowmobiles and ATVs have also been declining. While motorcycles have been a relative bright spot for the company, they still account for a small share of revenue.

Obviously, Polaris feels it has a better shot at hitting critical mass in the market with the Indian brand than with Victory.

I don't have to tell you what this means if you're one of those who have commented on our previous stories about how you're hoping Victory will be the American company that finally produces a high-performance sport standard or ADV bike. Indian is investing in flat-track racing, but other than that, it's hard to see how this will lead to any performance bikes. Instead, it looks like a retreat to the traditional position of big cruisers forever for the U.S. market.

Lemmy will be along soon with a deeper analysis of the news.

One had to wonder just how many heavy-weight 'cruiser' style bikes they'd sell year-after-year. They made some interesting-looking bikes (if you are into that sort of thing) with the help of some excellent styling, but...heck, even H-D struggles periodically when the market contracts and fewer people buy $ 20,000 "Toys" - which, for the most-part in the US, is what motorcycles are.

I thought Polaris might be over-extended in the segment with both Victory AND Indian - now I just hope one of them survives - it'd be nice to have an alternate in the places where the local H-D shop is run by the Loud-Pipe, bar-hopper crowd.

Too bad, but even with the deep Polaris pockets this wasn't entirely a surprise.

Wow !

I liked the V's more than HD's

But that whole market has a foot in the grave.

E-bikes = future

15871763_10154315305832106_8444351893059

I don't know how to react to the news that Victory is getting dropped. I had ridden a few of their models over the years but was not that impressed. I think what they should do is drop the Slingshot line. I tear rode it and decided if I were in the market for a two seater for over $20 grand I would buy a used Boxter or M3.

I don't know how to react to the news that Victory is getting dropped. I had ridden a few of their models over the years but was not that impressed. I think what they should do is drop the Slingshot line. I tear rode it and decided if I were in the market for a two seater for over $20 grand I would buy a used Boxter or M3.

I've seen a couple of them around here and it struck me that they serve much the same niche as a Super 7.

Can't see how they could sell more than a couple or three K of them.

375106_366308173410117_907832011_n.jpg?o

15977652_1849497128653439_92048139592839

Missed him by that much.... :o

Has anyone been to the Isle of Mann TT race? The lady and i are planning on going this year. Looks like the only accommodations left are camping, sounds fun!

The single most insane event on the planet.

Makes BASE jumping look measured and rational.

As long as you wear the masks during Mardis Gras you should not have to worry about being arrested. Unless you,ve been hiiting the bottle too much....

funny_tubby_cat_photoshop_1.png

12548923_918177631623465_455070362417159

The Elephant Rally, or Elefantentreffen, is a winter motorcycle rally, which usually takes place on the first weekend in February. It is organized by the Federal Association of Motorcycle Riders in Germany. Since 1989 it has taken place in the Bavarian forest. near the Czech border, where snow is guaranteed. Each year between 5,000 and 10,000 riders from all over Europe participate, some bringing modified motorcycles and special designs. Photo from 2015.

16107550_153760848451238_114880896807882

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-guy-webster-profile-20170120-story.html

I feel like Meli posting here without being a rider but oh well. This is an interesting story about one of your people. Between the lines is the reminder that it's nice to be born well, but the guy seems like a cool cat. Longtime hollywood/music photographer who collected italian motorcycles but is letting them go since he can no longer ride them.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-guy-webster-profile-20170120-story.html

I feel like Meli posting here without being a rider but oh well. This is an interesting story about one of your people. Between the lines is the reminder that it's nice to be born well, but the guy seems like a cool cat. Longtime hollywood/music photographer who collected italian motorcycles but is letting them go since he can no longer ride them.

Thanks for posting. I often thought if I had more money I would collect bikes and boats like that. Maybe someday....

After all the issues we've had with our 08 S550 I would never own a Mercedes again. It was nice when it was new but now with all the electronics issues it has been in the shop since October. POS! 😡

After all the issues we've had with our 08 S550 I would never own a Mercedes again. It was nice when it was new but now with all the electronics issues it has been in the shop since October. POS!

One of the things I like about Harley LowRider & SuperGlide Custom

Is that they are quite simple

And don't have a body of plastic in casing everything so you can't get to it

And almost every part is made custom by at least 3 other aftermarket Co's

Plus the "Used" market value Reguardless of millage or condition

allows one to put 30K miles on and just about all yer $$ back

That's one reason I'm hanging on to my 96 Evo Fatboy. I just rebuilt the carb, it was $60 in parts from the stealership and a couple hours. Also, although you can do this on virtually do this on any ride, I did a gel pad insert as my 21 year old saddle was getting stiff. Easy peasy....

That's one reason I'm hanging on to my 96 Evo Fatboy. I just rebuilt the carb, it was $60 in parts from the stealership and a couple hours. Also, although you can do this on virtually do this on any ride, I did a gel pad insert as my 21 year old saddle was getting stiff. Easy peasy....

You likely could sell that (not in a hurry) and pickup a 2006 FI model for about $1K difference or less

my last upgrade was for a bike w 25K less miles, 4 years newer, 8cube" bigger motor & an extra gear for $100. difference

Thank You Everyone Buying NEW and not accepting anything cheaper !!

After all the issues we've had with our 08 S550 I would never own a Mercedes again. It was nice when it was new but now with all the electronics issues it has been in the shop since October. POS!

In my neighbourhood I see more Benz's and BMW's at the side of the road, waiting for the hook than any other brand.

Mechanics I have known said they should be leased or sold prior to the warranty ending. Apparently the electronics are a nightmare.

I learned my lesson with that car it was the boss lady's. I'm a truck guy anyway. We bought a 2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid so she can still get around. I'll have to say as a commuter it's a pretty good little investment as we're averaging 39 miles to the gallon.

Had a great ride to St George Is yesterday. Ate at Harry Ts and grabbed a Hooter Brown fresh from the Oyster City Brewing Company in Apalachacola. If we have 6 more weeks of this weather I'm not gonna bitch.

16427727_10154478470056799_5606194904829

16602923_10154478710261799_1190540184643

16195575_10154478470051799_7680294444521

The last shot was taken in Mexico Beach.

Heres a bio of a lady that could out man most of us here.

http://www.hdforums.com/articles/bessie-stringfield-legendary-harley-davidson-owner/

Racing is BACK !!!! Whew.

World SuperBikes at Phillip Island this weekend in Oz. Nicky and the Honda squad have a new whip, hopefully one that can be competitive this year - he's already in the Super Pole group (top 8 times, I think) - which is a nice sign.

Wonder how many gulls will get squashed this year ? - While one of the most scenic tracks on the planet, they always seem to get a couple bird-strikes there.

Now back to your regular fare of woody posting Facebook links like a 13 year old girl.

World Super Bike seems to have picked up about where we left off last year - it looks like Christmas up front with so much Green (Kawasaki) and Red (Ducati) Nicky brought home a 11th and a DNF. Not a great start for him, and with still no Americans in MotoGP, he is the only Yank in the top classes of the sport, internationally. SAD. The President needs to DO something.

Maybe send a strongly-worded tweet.

As for me, I've fixed my bashed Wee-Strom and I'm enjoying it as the commuter hack that it is, a fine design really - the best part is you can't really ugly it up much with baggage, as it's not very handsome to start with.

Tested a (used) Tiger 800 (liked it, but not the deal, didn't proceed) and a 2015 V-Strom 1000 ( the gen 2 bike ) - also a nice mount (especially for the money) but not quite the next-step I was looking for.
Looked at a (allegedly) nice R1150RS that was crap, pass...keep moving, nothing to see here...

One reality of Oahu riding is that it really is - (for me, anyway) a driving-alternative. It's not recreational riding here, (for me anyway, I recreate offshore mostly) - the roads are crap, crowded and I know where they all go, anyway - but rather more a matter of not getting in the car everyday to get around - - and for that, the (bent, but un-bowed) DL 650 is just fine. Perfect for parking out in the sun at the yacht club all this past weekend (Opening day here)

But I have an eye out, just in case...

I'm selling both of my bikes

Highly modified 97 Yamaha vmax

Tastefully modded 04 Yamaha r1

I know. Buy an ad.

( )( )

While both are interesting mounts, I literally have no interest in owning either one of those, even if they were here and going for cheap. Race-replicas (even the 04 R1 - unless it was the limited-edition bumblebee model !) - just don't do it for me as a daily-rider and I never really liked cruisers, even power-cruisers (of which the V-Max was Lord for about 20 years until the Diavel came around) - I like practical bikes - just my personal take, and power-cruisers just seem cartoony to me.

While both are interesting mounts, I literally have no interest in owning either one of those, even if they were here and going for cheap. Race-replicas (even the 04 R1 - unless it was the limited-edition bumblebee model !) - just don't do it for me as a daily-rider and I never really liked cruisers, even power-cruisers (of which the V-Max was Lord for about 20 years until the Diavel came around) - I like practical bikes - just my personal take, and power-cruisers just seem cartoony to me.

My vmax is about as practical as swatting a fly with a sledgehammer..... its more of a novelty ride than a daily driver...

Just picked up an '82 CB650 for of all things, a promotional bike for trade shows. My Rep that happens to live nearby won't let me use it as a promotional only tool so his job is to get it running while I give it the look I want. Cafe tail in the mail from Dime City Cycles. Next is to weld that on and make my own custom carbon seat/tail. Looking at more cafe' style tanks and ordering better handlebars shortly.

Oh goody, another decent old Japanese bike turned into a hipster-café ride. How novel.

Extra points for leaving black electrical tape on the headlight and riding it around half-finished. That one pictured will be a lot of fun to ride in a light rain - no rear fender and the spray headed at the open-mouth carb bells.

Come now, a Hipster, riding a fashion accessory in the rain...... what are the chances????

It's possible for a hipster to get caught in a downpour on the way back to his moms house from Starbucks.

Hey, my 71 Norton Commando had open velocity stacks on the AMALs and rain didn't really affect it.

There were a whole host of reasons it wouldn't run reliably.

It's possible for a hipster to get caught in a downpour on the way back to his moms house from Starbucks.

Yeah, possible, but in attempt to keep Mac Book Dry, within obligatory manbag, the bike would also remain dry.....

Hey, my 71 Norton Commando had open velocity stacks on the AMALs and rain didn't really affect it.

Nice bicke!!!

pictes?

I had an 850 Nortonand changed manafold & ran a single Mikuni Carb

That was the Smoothest Purring Bike there ever was

Never get 2 Carbs adjusted as well as a single Carb (for very long)

I had an 850 Nortonand changed manafold & ran a single Mikuni Carb

That was the Smoothest Purring Bike there ever was

Never get 2 Carbs adjusted as well as a single Carb (for very long)

Want fun? Try it with 4 that link together at 6000 rpms

Somthinge morre licke thisse?

honda-cb650_ugly-motor-bikes-620x330.jpg

Yup...it will look a lot like that when done except a little more modern with a carbon fiber seat/tail and carbon fenders.

A bike like that is really just a more modern rendition of what the original choppers were - strip and cut off everything that isn't essential to going fast.

Doing it to a CB750 is going to give you a lot more performance than a '37 Knucklehead Harley though. :D

It always makes a cool bike - a true hot rod.

Thanks SloopJonB. It's a fun project. Ironically as GRS pointed out, while I'm not a hipster, my Rep in this region is a hipster and he has the bike at his house as he wants to ride it. However, he's putting in more of the work so far. When I use it to show at the annual ski show in Denver I was going to fit it with studded tires.

Who gives a shit if some hipsters are riding anything similar - unlikely they built theirs and they'll be on to something new in 15 minutes anyway.

Cool is cool even if some dildos are into it for a while.

Can't wait to see pictures of it "cafed" out WCB. I'm done with work this week and tomorrow the weather looks perfect for a ride so I'm hitting the rack early so I can get going early. My go to Enterprise Al for breakfast.

Who gives a shit if some hipsters are riding anything similar - unlikely they built theirs and they'll be on to something new in 15 minutes anyway.

Cool is cool even if some dildos are into it for a while.

Too funny...love it. Glad you think the same as I do.

Can't wait to see pictures of it "cafed" out WCB. I'm done with work this week and tomorrow the weather looks perfect for a ride so I'm hitting the rack early so I can get going early. My go to Enterprise Al for breakfast.

Puffy,

I'll get some pics of the process up soon. I've had it for three days and it's been stripped down to just about a frame and motor. We'll weld on the hoop for the tail next week and then get to work on the seat pan/tail and saddle. Parts have been rolling in the door.

Nice bicke!!!

pictes?

Nope. Taking pictures of my life in the early and mid-70s just wasn't on the radar.

Dang, that thing was maintenance intensive but oh, so easy to work on. Damn you, Darth Lucas, Lord of Darkness.

Just keep some cheap sunglasses or a couple packs of Native Spirit cigarettes on hand to distract them should you fall into a heavy concentration of tight-pant wearing PBR drinkers.

Nice bicke!!!

pictes?

Nope. Taking pictures of my life in the early and mid-70s just wasn't on the radar.

Dang, that thing was maintenance intensive but oh, so easy to work on. Damn you, Darth Lucas, Lord of Darkness.

Yup I hate Darth Lucas. I once owned a Jaguar.