PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

12 hours ago, Laurent said:

There is the Moto GP in the US next week end. In the Circuit of the Americas, near Austin TX.

I have never been to a moto GP and this is one is 3 hours drive from my home. I am thinking of going... Does someone who knows the circuit have any recommendation on which preferred Grandstand to book? I do not need a 3 days pass; is there a way to buy a ticket for Sunday only?

Thanks!

If it's anything like the World Superbike was here at Miller Motorsports Park was, you can buy a single, double, or triple day tickets.  It shouldn't be a problem.  All I can say is buy as high up in the stands as you can. It's opposite from what you think, so you can see more of the track from your seats.

Really - amazing that someone that stupid could develop that level of skill.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Really - amazing that someone that stupid could develop that level of skill.

I think it is called idiot savant 

I've done Laguna Seca a few times. I don't know how that venue compares to the Texas track. First time I did it we paid a bunch for primo tickets in the best grandstand on the start/finish straight. It was fun, and the deafening roar of all those bikes starting was memorable, but we found we spent more time looking at the Jumbotron to see the action than looking down on the track. Next couple years we got the cheapest tickets and spent the whole time wandering around all parts of the track to see the action up close and personal from all perspectives.

If your goal is to closely follow particular riders and stats, I suppose the grandstand/Jumbotron is the way to go. But if you want to get the overall MotoGP experience, go cheap and bring your hiking shoes and binoculars.

A hat, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes, access to water and a foam seat... walk the around the track before it gets too hot.  you will be able to pick your perch for the big race.

Remember Stoner and the Doctor at Laguna... 2006. Even Nicky was in the mix for a while but couldn't keep up the pace. a great motorcycle memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA

Is there anywhere else to view Laguna Seca than from the bottom of the corkscrew?

Probably the single most spectacular bit of race track anywhere.

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

Remember Stoner and the Doctor at Laguna... 2006. Even Nicky was in the mix for a while but couldn't keep up the pace. a great motorcycle memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9mrKR5SkA

I was THERE for that one! That was my second visit to Laguna Seca. First visit was the previous year when Hayden won. 4 buddies and I all rode our crotch rockets down from Seattle for that one. Absolutely memorable!

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Is there anywhere else to view Laguna Seca than from the bottom of the corkscrew?

Yup, that's the best spot. Top of the corkscrew is pretty cool too, watching them all brake so hard their rear tires lift off.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Watched Rainey 500 triple(?) chase Roberts 690 four in 84(?) GP was 500, US was 750 in those days. Rainey rides a tank slapper through the corner after the corkscrew. Shakes so bad Wayne get tossed over the bars, helmet on the fender, balls on the fork triple tree as the bike goes into the grass. Wayne slows, gathers himself side saddle, adjusts his nuts a little as he taps a couple of gears, remounts to continue and loses only one spot.

5 hours ago, wristwister said:

I was THERE for that one! That was my second visit to Laguna Seca. First visit was the previous year when Hayden won. 4 buddies and I all rode our crotch rockets down from Seattle for that one. Absolutely memorable!

Yup, that's the best spot. Top of the corkscrew is pretty cool too, watching them all brake so hard their rear tires lift off.

The progression through the corkscrew, left unloaded, right loaded up leaves the bikes pretty insettled.

22 hours ago, bmiller said:

Did you post this in your popcorn thread. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

Did you post this in your popcorn thread. :rolleyes:

no didn't want to plagiarize sew posted another

it was however the inspiration B)

Both my nephews are racing at Virginia City next weekend, anyone here?

Multiple motorcyclists asked me about the longevity of Honda’s new front suspension after seeing a video by Max McAllister, president of Traxxion Dynamics, an aftermarket suspension outfit. You might want to watch if you’re interested in reading this article and going full nerd on their new fork for a few minutes. Take a peek:

McAllister has clearly had ample time with a 2018 Honda Gold Wing. At the time of this writing, he has about 30 videos uploaded to his YouTube channel dealing with the front end specific to this bike. If you’re unfamiliar with the 2018 version of the Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour, you should know that Honda completely redesigned the fork, using a Hossack-style front end that they call a “double-wishbone,” a huge departure from the previous generation’s conventional telescopic unit.

Honda, unsurprisingly, touts the benefits of its new system. McAllister thinks there are some flaws with Honda’s execution of the new design. That difference of opinion got me interested enough to investigate on my own.

Obviously, both parties have some skin in this game: Honda wants to move units of their flagship bike, which has been plagued lately by flagging sales. McAllister, of course, is in the business of selling suspension components, and a customer who has both the budget and interest level in motorcycling to purchase a Gold Wing is probably a likely candidate to spend additional money to improve his mount.

McAllister’s video is titled “2018 Honda Gold Wing front shock sags onto bumper! It's sad…” He continues to effectively describe how the suspension setup works: When the bike is loaded with a rider, the shock absorber is a few millimeters away from beginning to compress what he calls the bumper, and that compression occurs all the way until the shock reaches its maximum front wheel travel, as given by Honda.

Suspension down Honda created this demonstration so the suspension action is visible. Note that the spring is removed for visibility. Here is the shock at rest. Photo by Kevin Wing.

McAllister sees this as a design flaw, so I approached Jon Seidel and Colin Miller of American Honda to get their explanation of the front suspension action.

“The bumper is designed to be a working part of the suspension, much like a damper. Unlike a traditional shock design, where the bumper is used near the end of shock travel, the Gold Wing shock has a damper/bumper that is active during normal use. This design, unique to the Gold Wing’s double wishbone front suspension, allows for a more progressive approach to the end of shock travel,” they responded in a written statement.

In essence, the bumper is not the traditional bump stop intended to reduce the sudden jolt (and clang!) that a bottomed shock delivers to a rider. Instead, it’s an integral part of the suspension designed to add progressivity to the spring by offering greater resistance as the shock approaches its maximum travel.

Suspension up ...and here is the same shock with the wheel in the position it would be compressed. Keep in mind there is no weight on this chassis, but also note the relative lack of deformity of the bumper. Photo by Kevin Wing.

I asked McAllister how he felt the new Gold Wing rode. “The stock suspension on the new Gold Wing follows a consistent philosophy as has been applied to the bike for decades," he said. "It is extremely undersprung and underdamped for the intended use of the motorcycle."

McAllister also doesn't think it's a good idea to use the bumper as an active part of the suspension. “Honda could choose to simply design a mechanical spring that has the progressive rate they are achieving with a spring and a bumper,” said McAllister. “Past that, modern springs hold their rate and don’t degrade over time. Elastomers do not last, especially if they are being pounded constantly. They degrade from environmental conditions as well.”

Miller had addressed this very topic in a separate email to me. “As one would expect, we tested the shock with a higher-rate coil spring and higher damping force during the prototype development stage, but we decided not to adopt those settings because they had too many negative effects. The handling felt uneasy as the behavior of the chassis became too reactive, the stability performance decreased for the same reason and, most importantly, riding comfort suffered on normal roads as the rider felt small bumps through the handlebars more, resulting in decreased overall ride comfort.”

McAllister shows the shock operation in the video, but the demonstration has potential to be misinterpreted, due simply to the fact that front wheel travel is not a 1:1 ratio with travel at the shock shaft. The suspension, acting as a lever, moves the front wheel quite a bit more than the shock shaft travels.

“The ratio of vertical front wheel travel to shock piston travel is approximately 2:1, at 110 mm and 57.2 mm respectively,” according to Honda’s written explanation. McAllister himself agrees with those numbers, with only a tiny variance.

“I believe that the front bumper will not survive the high mileage Gold Wing owners will subject it to. I believe this will be a problem for Honda,” McAllister stated. I asked him about his video title, which seemed a bit incendiary, to which he replied, “The front suspension bottoms very easily. The mechanical spring is extremely soft. The bumper comes into use at 40 percent wheel travel. Most shock bumpers come into play around 70 percent wheel travel.

“It is obvious that Honda did this intentionally, but I find it sad that there is a piece of foam that cost Honda less than $1 acting as an actual spring on an 800-pound motorcycle that will have 500-700 pounds of riders and gear on it typically.

“The bumper will spend virtually all of the time the motorcycle is moving with a load on it, and it will be cycled to 100 percent travel (bottomed) constantly. The only time the bumper will not be under pressure will be under hard acceleration or when the wheel dips down into a low spot or pothole in the pavement.”

Honda’s Miller emphasized that the compound the bumper is made of is a proprietary urethane blend. “Of course we produce and sell motorcycles and expect to make a profit, but we will not do so at the expense of our customers’ satisfaction," he wrote. "Nor do we build motorcycles with the intention of just getting through the warranty period. That is not how Honda has built its brand reputation.”

I pinged my buddy, Evan Aamodt, who’s a mechanical engineer, to see if he could give me any more info that might not be evident to a layman. “There's a notched section about a third of the distance from the end of the bumper that tells me it's intended to compress in that area relatively easily. As for the durability of the bumper, that really comes down to the properties of the material and how hard it's being worked. There are plenty of examples of polymers holding up over high cyclic loading, like the boots over the CV joints in your car's axles, or the boot around the stick on a manual transmission car. In both cases, there are folds in the rubber that allow it to move easily under light loading. The notched section in the bumper is likely doing something similar.”

Bumper damage Traxxion Dynamics' president believes that the wear seen here will be detrimental to the life of this bumper. See the ring at the top of the urethane bumper? Photo by Max McAllister.

McAllister says that the shock shaft’s dust cover is compounding this issue. “The gap in the dust cap around the shock bumper cuts into the bumper constantly. Eventually, it will continue to cut core samples from the bumper, and the foam will fill up under the dust cap, and begin to damage the seal.” The photos of a bumper you're looking at came from a motorcycle with allegedly very limited use (375 miles). McAllister claims the damage stems from the shocks body's dust seal, which appears to be made of sheet metal.

Shock body Here is the shock body itself. The sheet metal at the end of the body is evidently what's impacting the bumper and wearing in what appears to be an unconventional manner. Photo by Max McAllister.

McAllister had one final problem. “Given that the entire weight carrying capacity of the new Gold Wing is 423 pounds, Honda didn’t just miss the mark, they didn’t even enter the ballpark. After 43 years of Gold Wings, the engineers at Honda clearly refuse to build a bike for the typical people that ride it. The typical male rider of a Gold Wing in the United States is 250 pounds, and a typical wife is 180 pounds. Together, they weigh 430 pounds, and have exceeded the GVW of the new Gold Wing. That is before they put on a helmet!”

Honda’s Miller had a rebuttal to that. “We usually don’t list the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) in the traditional sense but we do give curb weight (wet weight) and max weight capacity (load capacity). These two values combine to yield the GVWR. Most bikes in the touring area have a weight capacity in the 400-pound range, so we are not out of the norm on our weight capacity. The GL1800 GVWR can be a little deceiving. It appears to be lower when comparing other models from previous years and that is due to the lower wet weight of the motorcycle. It’s important to note that the 2018 Gold Wing has a higher load capacity than the ’17 year model, by 34 pounds.”

For reference, a 2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide has a weight capacity of 471 pounds, a 2005 BMW K1200LT has a weight capacity of 470 pounds, and a 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 rings in with a 476-pound capacity. Honda is low, but not crazy-low — and the reality is that many bikes are regularly overloaded. This problem is not isolated to Honda.

Lem’s take

I’ll take a moment to inject my own opinion, because it’s the very thing that got me interested in researching the article. I rode this bike. I’ve told you what I thought about it in our review: The suspension rides nicely! The brake dive is reduced. (Though BMW’s implementation of this system is, to me, better.)

I do think McAllister has made a few good points, though. The front of the new Wingy is definitely undersprung for a man of my portly stature, and loading (and overloading) these bikes makes it worse. Naked Lem (yick!) and naked Mrs. Lem (whoo!) ring in at basically the Wing’s load capacity. Since we make a habit of riding dressed (and bringing additional items along on our little adventures), we were overloading this bike slightly every time we took it for a ride.

To me, the best evidence Honda’s system works is… that it works. This new Gold Wing is a vast improvement over the previous-gen Wingy I reviewed back in 2015. But that doesn’t negate McAllister’s experience — he’s been around the block before, and this isn’t the first fork he’s ever pulled apart.

Bumper again Here is another angle of the irregular wear pattern shown on that 345-mile bumper. Photo by Max McAllister.

Relying on a little squishy rubber piece rather than simply installing a progressive spring from the get-go seems maybe a bit chintzy. The dust cover on the shock does seem to be beating that urethane bumper up prematurely, and that could be detrimental to the service life of the bumper in question.

My suspicion is that Honda’s main goal differs a bit from that of Traxxion Dynamics. Honda wants to make money, and they can do that by using inexpensive suspension pieces that are engineered to work very well, which I think they did. They operate under the assumption that no pieces need to last indefinitely, and that suspension component replacement is a reasonable expectation for a customer who intends to ride the bike for a significant period of time.

Traxxion Dynamics also wants to make some coin, but they are doing that by producing excellent suspension components. Given that most people would find an increase in price on such a costly bike rather objectionable, McAllister is simply catering to customers with higher budgets and higher expectations.

I think the Honda solution works fine and will make it through the warranty period no sweat. I also feel that since rebuilding this shock isn’t likely to be financially prudent, replacement with a superior aftermarket offering makes sense if the customer finds value in such an upgrade. It’s almost a non-issue for many people, because the bumper is part of the shock assembly; it’s not offered separately nor is it meant to be replaced.

Most riders who are truly interested in the best ride comfort for their particular payload will respring and revalve this bike anyway, so it’s a moot point for them. Once a heavier spring is fitted, even if the stock shock is retained, the beating the bumper takes will be greatly lessened. (Though it would likely prove too progressive, so a shock and spring swap at the same time would probably the more intelligent way to to approach a fork upgrade.) Me? If I bought one of these, I’d probably leave it alone. It worked brilliantly for Mrs. Lem and I. Could it be improved? Sure. Did I have that high on my list of needs? Nah.

Long story short: Honda's arrangement will probably work (and work well) for a reasonable time period, but as McAllister shows, there are other, better (and more expensive) ways to skin a cat. Of course, Honda may simply update or improve the part — if it proves to fail prematurely, which we have yet to see. OEMs are generally good about refining designs, especially on important models with long model runs… just like the venerable Gold Wing. If they don’t, odds are good Traxxion Dynamics will have an alternative on their shelves.

Looks like an updated version of a 30's girder fork.

Well just like Harley, Honda has left a “deficiency” for the aftermarket to remedy. 

Keeps folks gainfully employed. 

Time to accept reality and buy a car.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Total Darwin candidate.

This guy was faster and stupider.

Looked like he was wearing shorts. What a moron.

Total Darwin candidate.

This guy was faster and stupider.

Don't know why the vid didn't take before.

9 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hey Woody - do me a favor, please - stop polluting the thread with the video selfies of self-important whiners...  

are you implying that was/is off topic ??

14 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

are you implying that was/is off topic ??

I think he is implying that you post all that is lame and moronic about motorcycling instead of posting the good stuff

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

I think he is implying that you post all that is lame and moronic about motorcycling instead of posting the good stuff

Exactly!

should we pad up and wear leathers, helmet, boots and branding to post in this proper (all of a sudden) thread

I had a thread intended to be for Harley riders to spare others the indignites

But it was Riddled with BS Trolling to the point it was just killed

posts about MC's in the MC thread are on topic, skip on past the ones you're not interested in

this is not filtered thought forum it's ANARCHY and as such Others may Not share your personal preferences NNTIATWWT

I just don't understand your interest in self-important whiners, and there's no way to tell whether or not what you've shared is going to be that, or something worth spending a couple minutes watching until I've spent the time to watch.   Anarchy also means that I get to tell you when I think that what you're doing is fucking stupid.  
The only thing motorcycle related about the last 2 vids you posted was that the whiners were riding motorcycles.  

Carry on - I asked, you refused, no worries.  I just know now to avoid wasting time on anything you post, and that's a shame, 'cause you do provide many enjoyable contributions. 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I just don't understand your interest in self-important whiners, and there's no way to tell whether or not what you've shared is going to be that, or something worth spending a couple minutes watching until I've spent the time to watch.   Anarchy also means that I get to tell you when I think that what you're doing is fucking stupid.  
The only thing motorcycle related about the last 2 vids you posted was that the whiners were riding motorcycles.  

Carry on - I asked, you refused, no worries.  I just know now to avoid wasting time on anything you post, and that's a shame, 'cause you do provide many enjoyable contributions. 

I watched the videos but didn't listen to them

I am amazed at what idiots people can be like doing 140 in traffic mph or Km

I live in a world of Traffic, most of the time as a MC but sometimes as a 45' Box

we all have different interests 

Thank Gawd !!

On 5/10/2018 at 1:33 AM, DA-WOODY said:

should we pad up and wear leathers, helmet, boots and branding to post in this proper (all of a sudden) thread

posts about MC's in the MC thread are on topic, skip on past the ones you're not interested in

this is not filtered thought forum it's ANARCHY and as such Others may Not share your personal preferences NNTIATWWT

"....Harley's not a bike....it's a cult"..... RIP Pico rider in the Sky...Bro

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 12:33 PM, DA-WOODY said:

There will always be Harley haters Woodrow, I just shake my head and laugh at their ignorance. Harley builds nice cruisers and tourers at the moment and have that market cornered. I really like my Electraglide for my currant riding style, however thing are going to change for me soon as I will be doing alot of traveling in the future via RV. I'm looking at different ways to bring a bike with me. Right now Kelly wants to get a motorhome, and tow a car. I want to get a 5th wheel toy hauler and tow with my F250. If we go the motorhome route I have seen motorcycle haulers that attach to a hitch. However they are limited to a 600lbs max rating so I'm keeping my eye on a few different models of adventure tourers. I want something that handles well on the pavement and gravel, sand roads that can handle two up at times, that is also under 600#. I wonder if there is such a unicorn. 

• Like 1

Sportsters are to heavy by about 100#. Suzuki, Honda, and Yamaha make a dual sport that might fit the bill they are around the 750cc range, however I just learned of the Ducati 950 Multistrad that comes in at around 450#. that looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

There will always be Harley haters Woodrow, I just shake my head and laugh at their ignorance. Harley builds nice cruisers and tourers at the moment and have that market cornered. I really like my Electraglide for my currant riding style, however thing are going to change for me soon as I will be doing alot of traveling in the future via RV. I'm looking at different ways to bring a bike with me. Right now Kelly wants to get a motorhome, and tow a car. I want to get a 5th wheel toy hauler and tow with my F250. If we go the motorhome route I have seen motorcycle haulers that attach to a hitch. However they are limited to a 600lbs max rating so I'm keeping my eye on a few different models of adventure tourers. I want something that handles well on the pavement and gravel, sand roads that can handle two up at times, that is also under 600#. I wonder if there is such a unicorn. 

It's for sale.

What's it gonna take to have you drive this home today ?

DSC_2444.JPG

11 minutes ago, Dorado said:

It's for sale.

DSC_2444.JPG

Lol! What’s that beemer weigh? Where is it located? 

I have put 3K+ miles on me REBEL 250

It's just too small for anything other than short trips/solo

that said neighbor had a '05 REBEL 250 and asked me to look at it after sitting 5 years

his old batt would go to 11V in no time BUT No Amps (Only Fooling him) would Not power anything

I put a jumper on it and it Lit=Up and spun over

he got gas in it and Nothing

I tried on Reserve and got it to start w Choke on but only @ Idle

he took the Carb apart years ago and thought he Fixed it = Gas was pouring out around carb

I suggested he buy a New Carb ($250) and Batt (<$100)

he asked me If I wanted to buy it Sew I asked how much = $350

Sold on the spot he rolled it to my warehouse, I made a phone-call, nextdoor neighbor came and rolled it home for $750  

I owned it 20 min and never touched it = Happy Ending

I'm looking for my Next HD But also now looking for the same thing you are looking for (surely Not same bike but same idea)

I want something Easy to lug around But that will get me Arse around when I stop somewhere

I would like to have something that can go on a trail yet take a detour of 60 miles down the road & back

and able to haul a Large Breasted Cougar back from a Country/Hick-Town Bar

Next to sell me '08 SuperGlide Custom & '08 REBEL 250

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Buell had a Duall Sport variant called the Ulysses that was a decent street bike, and a fair-middling fire-road traveller, but, it was too heavy to be considered for any serious off road work, IMHO.  Picking that thing up on a steep hill would be a serious PITA. 

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Best to check Cycle Guide, Motorcyclist, Cycle etc.... which ever survives to see what independent testers actually weighed one up at. Manifactures literature are notoriously optomistic.

6 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

Lol! What’s that beemer weigh? Where is it located? 

461 dry weight, 110 hp

Calaveras County, CA

You're just in time for the frog jumping contest.  Some of the best mountain pass riding in the world starts at my driveway .

What a deal  !  B)

19 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/DR650SE/2018/DR650S.aspx   - these are good bikes, but a little "buzzy" at highway speeds. 

This one might scratch the itch,  weighs around 460lbs, and is drop dead sexy
https://scramblerducati.com/en/bike/desert-sled

I do have my eye on the Scrambler. We will be in Charlotte in two weeks to pick up the grand kids. There is a BMW/Ducati/ MotoGuzzi Dealer there. I have plans to test ride a few models that may fit my needs. 

13 hours ago, Dorado said:

461 dry weight, 110 hp

Calaveras County, CA

You're just in time for the frog jumping contest.  Some of the best mountain pass riding in the world starts at my driveway .

What a deal  !  B)

I can fly in and ride it home. I don’t know if I would be up to a frog jumping contest on a bike I just threw my leg over for the first time though. 

2 hours ago, PuffyJman said:

I can fly in and ride it home. I don’t know if I would be up to a frog jumping contest on a bike I just threw my leg over for the first time though. 

Ok

What's your flight #  ?

9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Ok

What's your flight #  ?

Lol. We haven’t discussed prices. And BTW does that include a full tank of gas?

:o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting, motorcycle and outdoor

Lokks like you were always a dapper dresser Woodrow....:lol:

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, Dorado said:

It's for sale.

DSC_2444.JPG

A harder working wife. With a bike like that - I won't have time to work.

Shoot - just realized a previous reply didn't make it - Woodrow - thanks for the kid vids - gave me something to smile about, remembering teaching MY kids how to ride when they were younger.  My now 25 yr old son's 1st time out on his Honda 50 (he was 5) he ran it right into the deck steps.  We picked him up, settled him down, and 15 minutes later, he rode it up a pine tree out back.  By the end of the week, he was asking me to build him a ramp.   

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 12:18 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/DR650SE/2018/DR650S.aspx   - these are good bikes, but a little "buzzy" at highway speeds. 

This one might scratch the itch,  weighs around 460lbs, and is drop dead sexy
https://scramblerducati.com/en/bike/desert-sled

Love that Scrambler. Saw one at the local Duc shop while checking out the Panigale V4 the other day

15 minutes ago, WCB said:

Love that Scrambler. Saw one at the local Duc shop while checking out the Panigale V4 the other day

I'd be tickled to add ANY of the Ducati lineup to my collection.  The Diavel is hot, the Monster just begs you to sharpen its footpegs.  I don't have anything like the Scrambler, and where I live in the northern Shenandoah Valley? it'd be a practical addition. 

39 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I'd be tickled to add ANY of the Ducati lineup to my collection.  The Diavel is hot, the Monster just begs you to sharpen its footpegs.  I don't have anything like the Scrambler, and where I live in the northern Shenandoah Valley? it'd be a practical addition. 

There is something about them.  They "finish" the bike better than japanese companies and they are so much more pleasing to look at.  

I had a 1098 from the first year that they came out and I loved it but it was a lemon so I sold it in 2010.  I've been thinking about another Duc since then.  That Scrambler Desert Sled would be fun for around town here in Park City including some of the canyons.

Great late afternoon ride yesterday, a couple friends and no one else on the single track sections. No vehicles in the staging area. In fact the only evidence of other human activity was a little dust cloud off in the distance. 

We have miles of two track and 50" or less but not a ton of motorized single track, at least the so called "designated" routes. FS is opening up a few more miles but still not even close to what this area could support. The forest managers around here believe the best access is no access. 

All in all still a great place to live and recreate. 

APE

JUAN Lucky MoFo proving when it Ain't yer time it Ain't yer time

29 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

APE

That is very probably the single stupidest motorcycle I have ever seen.

And that includes things like this.

image.png.4251a86df32cf52a2c41bb2612fb3a7f.pngimage.png.96be18ae577109fda11d6d9fd4252f21.png

16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That is very probably the single stupidest motorcycle I have ever seen.

And that includes things like this.

image.png.4251a86df32cf52a2c41bb2612fb3a7f.pngimage.png.96be18ae577109fda11d6d9fd4252f21.png

in the mid 70'z there were XXXXL solid fork tubes with 1/2 leaf springs welded to the end

as Far from having a fork brace as you can get

DANGEROUS !!!

oh ya No ft brake too