• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

Guest Dabnis

"Dust & mud" ? Oh how true, towards the end of many an event I would be asking myself: "Self, why are you doing this?" :D

My response to my uncle; who was an orthopedic surgeon, “show me another way to run two marathons a day while wresting with a 230 lb machine that can go from 0 to 60 in two seconds, over terrain that mountain goat with think twice about… and I’ll do it”

His follow up response was “motorcycles… good for business.”

I will say when I was racing, I was in pretty damm good shape

Then you have the Tevis Cup...

cougar_traci.jpg

elevation_sm.pngClick for larger version

100mi, 24 hours...

No, I'm not that crazy, but I've been on training rides where you think nfw are we going to make that... no mountain goats in that pic. No bridle either, for that matter. :blink:

Oh yes, the Tevis cup . We used to legally ride many sections of it & the Western States Trail on our motorcycles. That shot

may be on the Red Star Ridge section? Very gnarly, indeed. From time to time we would meet horse riders, which we

always stopped for & shut off the motor, so as not to spook the horses.

Many of the horse riders wanted to know what we were doing on "their" trail.

Paul T

I've never had any issue with motorcyclists I've come across on the trail, you can hear them coming, they invariably kill the motor when they get close, they understand the trail rules. Mountain bikers on the other hand can be a crapshoot. :rolleyes:

We always tried to be courteous to horse riders & hikers. It just takes a minute to pull over & kill it, good excuse for a rest. :D

The last time I rode the Western States Trail was in 1997, described in my post # 35. Mountain bikes were just becoming popular

& we saw very few of them. However, when we were hiking in the Golden Gate National Seashore, they were a real menace

many screaming "On your right" as they blasted past, within inches of you.

As mentioned, many of the horse riders & hikers didn't want us on "Their trail".

Paul T

Mountain bikers on the other hand can be a crapshoot. :rolleyes:

I have come accross some real assholes.... bet these are probally the same ones that dress up for the Tour de France everytime the get on thier bike, ride down the middle of the road even when there is an 8 foot bike lane, and then tell you to go phuck yourself when you honk at them because they are holding up about 20 cars.

I will say when I was racing, I was in pretty damm good shape

I raced motocross on a quad. That was the best shape I was ever in. I was also busting my ass like a madman in a cabinet shop seventy hours a week.

I wish I could say I was getting paid to stay in shape.... but then again, the gym was a target rich enviroment..

Guest Dabnis

Mountain bikers on the other hand can be a crapshoot. :rolleyes:

I have come accross some real assholes.... bet these are probally the same ones that dress up for the Tour de France everytime the get on thier bike, ride down the middle of the road even when there is an 8 foot bike lane, and then tell you to go phuck yourself when you honk at them because they are holding up about 20 cars.

Yes, in addition to some rude mountain bike riders, you have the "Lance Armstrong wannabees" on the road. Near us, we have a

15 mile two lane section of highway 89 that runs from Truckee to Tahoe city. It carries a huge amount of traffic. A dedicated, paved, two

lane separate bike trail/path, running for about half of it, was built, costing millions, I think. The separate bike path appears to get a

lot of use, which is good as it gets some of the bikes off the road.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33155-d117239-r219581349-Tahoe_City_South_North_Trailheads-Tahoe_City_Lake_Tahoe_California_California.html

However, there are the "Lance Armstrong wannabees" that insist on riding, two or three abreast, out on the road, creating a huge

safety hazard. I have seen them give cars that have passed them the finger, as if they own the road. Too bad they pay nothing to go out

& "Play in the traffic" . Had I done that on my dirt bike or road racing Kart, I would have been promptly arrested.

Paul T

Some people just hate bikes. They hate hearing the sound of bikes in their backyard, and they really REALLY hate bikes slicing through rush hour traffic.

Bikes are an emotional instrument, on a certain % of people it brings out the wrong emotions. For those I have a velcro'd can of bear spray on the bird cage and a ziptied magnet with a few old spark plugs on the triple.

So all this talk of bikes has brought back some fond memories... the only problem I have is many of my photos for my golden age of Moto - X were destroyed by a fire... what I have is what some friends have given to me..

With that, I have been looking through Craigs list for some of the old scooters I use to have and HO LEE SHIT... I can't beleieve some of the prices they are asking.. Oh well, considering what the new bikes are costing guess it is still a deal... or a steal, or .........

Guest Dabnis

One of my riding partners, about 65 now, & not in the best shape, still rides in vintage Moto cross races. We went to one

a few years ago where he rode a 1970's AJS, just like the one I had in 1970. Tons of old Maicos, Bultacos,& other European bikes,

even some Rickman framed 4 strokes, along with a handful of Japanese bikes.Some looked like they were

brand new. So, they are still out there.

Like outboards, I don't know if you can even buy a new 2 stroke bike anymore?

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

Be careful out there.

Went back & watched the video again, oh my!!.

My wife & I have been happily married going on 56 years. She is one of the kindest & loving persons I have ever known.

However, on occasion, she will come back from shopping & say " God damn it !!!, some asshole tailgated me all the way down

Northwoods in his 10 foot high pickup with the tires sticking out the sides. I was going to flip him off. "

I never tell her "what to do", but at times, I do make a "suggestion" , one of which was not to do that because there are a lot

of loose cannons out there just looking for trouble.

IIRC, "lane splitting" is legal in California, if done "In a safe manner", or something like that. The only street riding I did was on back

country roads, never in heavy traffic. I don't think lane splitting is good, as it appears to be very dangerous. And although it doesn't bother me,

unless they put a dent in my car, I could see why it can irritate others, like the bald guy in the video.

Paul T

Be careful out there.

My wife & I have been happily married going on 56 years. She is one of the kindest & loving persons I have ever known.

However, on occasion, she will come back from shopping & say " God damn it !!!, some asshole tailgated me all the way down

Northwoods in his 10 foot high pickup with the tires sticking out the sides. I was going to flip him off. "

I never tell her "what to do", but at times, I do make a "suggestion" , one of which was not to do that because there are a lot

IIRC, "lane splitting" is legal in California, if done "In a safe manner", or something like that. The only street riding I did was on back

country roads, never in heavy traffic. I don't think lane splitting is good, as it appears to be very dangerous. And although it doesn't bother me,

unless they put a dent in my car, I could see why it can irritate others, like the bald guy in the video.

Paul T

Lane splitting is illegal in Arizona where this happened. I would have liked to have seen video for a couple of minutes prior to this incident. The motorcyclist knew that the driver was upset(he had his head turned toward the driver as he approached). There must have been some honking or yelling. I think the motorcyclist handled it well considering. But the smartest thing may have been for him to just ride on.

Guest Dabnis

Be careful out there.

Paul T

Lane splitting is illegal in Arizona where this happened. I would have liked to have seen video for a couple of minutes prior to this incident. The motorcyclist knew that the driver was upset(he had his head turned toward the driver as he approached). There must have been some honking or yelling. I think the motorcyclist handled it well considering. But the smartest thing may have been for him to just ride on.

At the end of the video, I thought the old bald guy was going to vapor lock, which would have complicated things. Whether

the bike rider was right or wrong, the old guy's actions were over the top, talk about a loose cannon.

Paul T

Be careful out there.

Paul T

At the end of the video, I thought the old bald guy was going to vapor lock, which would have complicated things. Whether

the bike rider was right or wrong, the old guy's actions were over the top, talk about a loose cannon.

Paul T

Anyone else see the resemblance?

gollum11_lrg.jpg

I don't think I would have handled that as well, push my wife and bad things happen...

Guest Dabnis

Be careful out there.

Paul T

Paul T

Anyone else see the resemblance?

gollum11_lrg.jpg

I don't think I would have handled that as well, push my wife and bad things happen...

My mother in law once told my wife she was "outspoken". Oh my. not good :(

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Hunting/scan0001_zpsd812f17d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Or, as my poor mother used to say, "Oh dear"

Paul T

The cager was very very lucky he doesn't require reconstructive dental and sinus surgery. Kudos to the rider for having a cool head. One thing I have learned from riding on the street is to never get mad, or you'll end up dead.

Yeah, that scene from the original Mad Max where the bikers trash and crash the fleeing hot rod ? That's the movies...

Cross pollination from the Police Perspective th'd, but a bunch of off duty cops went to town on an X5 that cut them off. Then the BMW driver simply ran over one guy and a few bikes.

Got into a discussion tonight with another riding sailor about the connection between bikes & boats. We settled on the emotional irrational appeal for both being about equal. Somebody that would race a J35 or refurb an old C&C is likely to also own two wheels for the same reason they don't have a Seadoo or Trojan.

The elemental experience is profoundly different between a bike and an Escalade, even if the destination is the same.

Same with a sailboat.

Be careful out there.

I believe that is called assault.

Not allowed to put your hands on someone else.

Did the Curly get charged yet as the cops have the video?

Good way to get your ass kicked too.

You never know who is coming from behind on another scoot and how they will react.

Was coming back from Louden NH races on Father's day (end of motorcycle week) years ago.

Had the pickup as I had logistic's (carry everyone's tents, sleeping bags, lawn chairs, tarps etc. as 15 of us spent the weekends at the track)

2 lanes out of town for thousands of bikers.

Lots of bikes cutting between the stopped traffic.

Finally some idiot in the old ford pickup next to me gets out and yelling into the the face of the biker who just pulled in front of him.

About 5 bikers dismount and get ready to beat the guy to a pulp, but some other bikers said to lay off, so everyone returned to their bikes after the pickup was reparked on the side of the road (not sure if the keys were still in it).

That could have gotten ugly before the driver knew he had just written a check his ass could not cash.

Just got done rebuilding the starter on my 35 yo GS1000 Saturday

Kicked over on the 2nd hit of the starter button after sitting for over a year.

Still pulls like freight train.

Now back to my original quandry

Do I go for a ride or go for a sail? :<)

Be careful out there.

You never know who is coming from behind on another scoot and how they will react.

Was coming back from Louden NH races on Father's day (end of motorcycle week) years ago.

Had the pickup as I had logistic's (carry everyone's tents, sleeping bags, lawn chairs, tarps etc. as 15 of us spent the weekends at the track)

Finally some idiot in the old ford pickup next to me gets out and yelling into the the face of the biker who just pulled in front of him.

About 5 bikers dismount and get ready to beat the guy to a pulp, but some other bikers said to lay off, so everyone returned to their bikes after the pickup was reparked on the side of the road (not sure if the keys were still in it).

That could have gotten ugly before the driver knew he had just written a check his ass could not cash.

Take your bike to get to the boat...

Just installed and broke in a Rekluse clutch in the 350. First real ride is Friday. Can't wait.

Yieks!!!!!

The cost of those kits are what I usully spent on a bike... What makes them so much better?

Guest Dabnis

Just installed and broke in a Rekluse clutch in the 350. First real ride is Friday. Can't wait.

Yieks!!!!!

The cost of those kits are what I usully spent on a bike... What makes them so much better?

"Clutch", what is a clutch? Oh, maybe that thing on the left side to squeeze in when you stop? :D

Paul T

Be careful out there.

Boat is 200 yards from house. That short ride will rust the mufflers out.. 1st world problem I guess.. :<)

By the way, that video is now on the home page of CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/17/biker-road-rage-moos-pkg-erin.cnn/video/playlists/wacky-world-of-jeanne-moos/

Curly is going to be seen by EVERYONE who knows him as the basic tool he is.

and he is facing DWI charges

Don't you just love when Karma smacks these tools silly...

Be careful out there.

Boat is 200 yards from house. That short ride will rust the mufflers out.. 1st world problem I guess.. :<)

By the way, that video is now on the home page of CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/07/17/biker-road-rage-moos-pkg-erin.cnn/video/playlists/wacky-world-of-jeanne-moos/

Curly is going to be seen by EVERYONE who knows him as the basic tool he is.

and he is facing DWI charges

Don't you just love when Karma smacks these tools silly...

200 yds? Sounds lovely - I'd forego the ride too - not enough time to get the oil warmed up.

Wow, that biker showed amazing restraint- I would have ruined that guy-- he would have received a carbon/Kevlar head butt that his grandkids woulda felt- followed by a carbon knuckled beat down that would make Reginald Denny wince...

Marty Feldman is lucky he's not living his life through a straw-

Yieks!!!!!

Not that much, it's basically an auto clutch. Handy on tight rocky trails, which is the norm out here.

People generally need to lighten up and slow the fuck down. All parties. Just pretend you are trying to be a nice person. We all share the road so share. Look up the word in the dictionary if you need to. I ride an mc and I think illegal loud vehicles from mc to idiot diesel pickup are operated by self important ignorant selfish fucks. I ride bikes and mtbs and though bad citizens on both are just that the old lady in my rural neighborhood who honks at bikes and buzzed me and mu family because her entitled ownership ofmthe road made her unable to wait the 10 seconds neede for me to look in my mirror and get right can rot in hell while the devilmtrys to pull her saggy vajay up over her head and suffocate her. Beijg inconvenienced for a minute or two while waiting for a safe passing zone for a ped or bike does not give you the right to assault someone with your substitute penis/ovary/horn/spit/c8ffee/water/piss/words/hamburgers....you become the lowest form of human excrement. There is no excuze for offensive aggressive behavior against a defenseless user of the public byways. None.

I'll pretend I'm a nice person, till I'm no longer interested in being nice-

If someone assaults me, then my girl, all niceties are suspended until further notice-

Life is too short to be a dick, conversely, being a dick can and may shorten your life abruptly-

It's pretty rare I let a traffic incident bother me, on a bike I expect to be cut off, pulled out in front of, pinched, block passed, you name it, but if you lay hands on me, your day is going to be a memorable one...

Don't have issues like those discussed above where I normally ride.

Such as Rainbow Trail, single track, Salida down below and some of the Collegiate peaks in the distance.

%3Blermf-XL.jpg

A little cool off somewhere down the trail.

IMG_3654-XL.jpg

Rode in to work this AM - first time in DC traffic on a bike since I got my back broken in a wreck last summer. Not sure I'll be able to keep doin' this, the way some of these brain dead people drive scares me in my Subaru, much less on my old bike.

Guest Dabnis

Such as Rainbow Trail, single track, Salida down below and some of the Collegiate peaks in the distance.

%3Blermf-XL.jpg

IMG_3654-XL.jpg

That is nice, wish I was there, :)

Sure miss my old 400 Husky 2 stroke, it pulled like a tractor:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00012_zps4b11959b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Paul T

If I recall, lane splitting is not illegal (not explicitly legal either) in California because there is no law against two vehicles sharing the same lane, as told to me by a CHIP during a riding safety course years back. They will still get you for any one of a half dozen other things instead if you make them mad, the easy one being lane change with no signal.

It is not well understood by people in cars, or even a lot of riders, and scares the s4!t out of a lot of them. From the bikers perspective, it just looks like a wide open lane does to a person in a car, and if done correctly is relatively safe. One side effect is riding up on a lot of accidents because the rest of traffic has stopped, I saw probably dozens just after they happened when I commuted there.

In Cali, as I understand it, you're also looking at absolute liability in case of a wreck too. So if that chucklehead that deliberately opens his door to bag you causes you to go down...it's automatically your fault as far as charges & ins are concerned.

Still...even though it is not just legal, but MANDATORY to learn how to filter through traffic on a bike in most of the civilized world, I embrace Cali's rare commonsense approach to cars & bikes sharing the same urban concrete jungle...

LaneSplitBitches2.jpg

I have strict rules of engagement and dont split until freewy traffic is below 25 mph and I dont go more than 35. I will likely survive any fall in proper gear at 35. People who split and weave through tight traffic thats going 50 plus are definitely assholes. Its safer on an mc to filter to the front of lights and have clear road than to wait in line to get rear ended.

I view filtering as one of the few perks on top of a pile of con's for riding a bike in urban traffic.

I'm sorry, nobody made you & everybody's cousin buy a 4 ton jacked Brodozer Escalade SUV as a commuter vehicle. I chose the option with 8 less cupholders, and 6 less airbags.

I have noticed raging against bikes is noticeably less in areas where entitlements are not viewed as a right.

Quebec & PN are great places to ride. ON & NY, not so much.

Guest Dabnis

"Lane splitting", Never having done it, I would think there may be two aspects:

1. Risky business from a physical standpoint, really close quarters. Kind of like going 30 MPH in your garage?

2. Car driver's wrath. They may feel it is the same as breaking into the cashiers line at the super market & do something "Not nice", on purpose

Perhaps going down the side of a wide shoulder where they can't come in contact with you? Not sure if that is legal?

Or just wait, like everybody else?

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

Yes.

Yes.

Passing on the right is illegal, and the shoulder can be a treacherous place for a bike.

Waiting in a line of cages for hours at a time would be an exercise in frustration, and may cause discomfort, greatly diminishing a bikes usefulness as a commute vehicle.

Food for thought: When was the last time you changed lanes into another car next to you? Maybe never? One of the important techniques of splitting is to pass between cars (beware of gaps where cars are likely to try to change lanes), sort of counterintuitive for car drivers. While the driver may not be aware of you coming, despite the high beams, it's a good bet they are aware of the vehicle next to them

In the 30 years I rode, the small amount of asphalt riding I did was on small back country roads, so I have no experiences with

lane splitting, just contacting trees, rocks & the dirt, ouch!!

As a car driver, I have no problem with it, except that it looks extremely dangerous. Every time I see it done, I think:

"Oh be careful, be careful, you are dead a long time" Is your time worth your life?

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

Wife has asked me not to ride anymore. Happy wife = happy life, probably longer too. :)

I quit when I was 65, about 15 years ago. I think my wife said something like " I don't mean to tell you what to do, but, would you

like to be able to use your shoulders in your later life?" As always, she was right. As I am typing this my right shoulder is in

a lot of pain, time for another codeine pill.

Having done just a very little street riding, I can see where your odds of getting killed are very high. I also had a problem with

throttle control, it always had the bad habit of being in the full on position, bad throttle. :D

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

My wife used to ride with me in the dirt, until one day, she got it crossed up & went down, pretty hard, left a big imprint in the dirt,

made her cry, got her clothes dirty, end of dirt riding for her, her call.

I don't remember seeing too many women riding, on the street, or in the dirt. I think they may be smarter than men? :D

Paul T

My wife used to ride with me in the dirt, until one day, she got it crossed up & went down, pretty hard, left a big imprint in the dirt,

I don't remember seeing too many women riding, on the street, or in the dirt. I think they may be smarter than men? :D

Paul T

There's a couple I ride with here in the valley, she kicks ass. Makes me look like a dork on my bike.

Paul T

There's a couple I ride with here in the valley, she kicks ass. Makes me look like a dork on my bike.

My sister in law rides...she got airlifted out of Hungry Valley with a compound fracture a couple of months ago, started riding again last week. :rolleyes:

Wife has asked me not to ride anymore. Happy wife = happy life, probably longer too.:)

Somewhere I have a pic from 2008 of me & my riding buddies laughing our asses off, pulling a Busa out of a ditch. Out of the 8 guys in the pic, I'm the only one that still isn't dead/wrecked/SUV hood ornament...

I decided to rekindle my yen for sailing last year. I still use the bike to commute to work, and hoon the odd weekend, but I'm down to 10k a year from 30k.

The Ex hated the bike, never rode bitch once. She just bitched :)

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

I didn't mean that women can't ride. In our club, one of the member's wife used to ride with "The guys"

She weighed about 100 pounds, rode a 175cc Yamaha Enduro bike & never held anyone up, like me.

She virtually never made a mistake, rode smooth & smart. I was embarrassed for myself every time

I rode with her. She is at 2:00 & 2:27 in the video

When I was road racing Karts, there were a couple of women that always ran up front.

Paul T

%3Blermf-XL.jpg

IMG_3654-XL.jpg

AWESOME.... you're very lucky...

Paul T

I didn't mean that women can't ride. In our club, one of the member's wife used to ride with "The guys"

She weighed about 100 pounds, rode a 175cc Yamaha Enduro bike & never held anyone up, like me.

She virtually never made a mistake, rode smooth & smart. I was embarrassed for myself every time

When I was road racing Karts, there were a couple of women that always ran up front.

Paul T

Good friend of mine married a woman who rode for Susuki, in 1973. I stopped riding after I opened my own business. No workie, no money. Dabnis, any pics of the trails up here above Georgetown?

On another note, was at breakfast last Saturday and some old dude pulls up out front on a bike. I was thinking old Besser, turned out to be a Panther. Never heard of them.

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Paul T

Good friend of mine married a woman who rode for Susuki, in 1973. I stopped riding after I opened my own business. No workie, no money. Dabnis, any pics of the trails up here above Georgetown?

Most of my riding in that area was out of Foresthill, Western States Trail, Mumford Bar, before they closed it, & so on. Rode the Mace

Mill Rd areas in some Enduros & some trail riding "down" in that area. I will dig through my old photos, which are mostly of desert races.

"Panther"? British, I thought:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phelon_%26_Moore

Paul T

On another note, was at breakfast last Saturday and some old dude pulls up out front on a bike. I was thinking old Besser, turned out to be a Panther. Never heard of them.

was he black ??

• Like 1

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Paul T

Took about 2 hours going through all of our pictures. My goodness, do we have a lot of them, been a lot places, done a lot of things,

lucky to still be upright & know my name. :)

We used to ride the Rubicon quite often, had some pictures, but can't find them. Did find this one, however, my loving wife of 55 years,

some time back in my Kart. She is the trooper of all troopers, putting up with all the crap I have put her through. Despite having her back

beaten to a pulp after 50 years of ocean salmon fishing, she said this morning, "Lets go fishing on Monday". Nobody luckier than me .

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/Nancy%20amp%20the%20Kart_zpsu74bgvyf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

This was her biggest:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Sports%20Fishing/Hakai_zps9lrfbebt.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Paul T

"Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf. "— Peter Egan

Guest Dabnis

"Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf. "— Peter Egan

Do Harley's come stock with all those fringes? & floorboards? :D

Paul T

No way - that's where the MONEY is in H-D dealerships - selling the 'Get-Back' whips, Gremlin bells and Screaming Chicken "performance" kits - because, you know when you buy an overweight cruiser with relatively low hp you have to modify the heck out of it to be a 'serious' rider - God forbid anybody be able to hear anymore when you've been by.

Guest Dabnis

No way - that's where the MONEY is in H-D dealerships - selling the 'Get-Back' whips, Gremlin bells and Screaming Chicken "performance" kits - because, you know when you buy an overweight cruiser with relatively low hp you have to modify the heck out of it to be a 'serious' rider - God forbid anybody be able to hear anymore when you've been by.

Well, Harley riders seem to be very enthusiastic about their bikes. Do Harley's leak oil, like some American made cars & trucks?

It appears some Harley riders are not very tolerant of Japanese bikes, I think they call them "Rice burners"?

Paul T

F'ing moron RUBs need to be a bit more polite on the freeway, <_< flipping off a guy in a primered 75 dually could be a life altering event... Yeah, I lost track of him while passing the slow moving semi to the left while he was pacing it in the right lane so I couldn't duck behind, but seriously, I was maybe a foot into the lane with him 20' back but accelerating when I spotted him and immediately moved back as he roared past with his finger in the air. How could he tell that I was on my way to the yacht club and not a vato loco from the hood with anger issues on a three day meth binge?

Guest Dabnis

F'ing moron RUBs need to be a bit more polite on the freeway, <_< flipping off a guy in a primered 75 dually could be a life altering event... Yeah, I lost track of him while passing the slow moving semi to the left while he was pacing it in the right lane so I couldn't duck behind, but seriously, I was maybe a foot into the lane with him 20' back but accelerating when I spotted him and immediately moved back as he roared past with his finger in the air. How could he tell that I was on my way to the yacht club and not a vato loco from the hood with anger issues on a three day meth binge?

If I am reading this correctly, it appears you were riding a motorcycle, or maybe driving the dually? If on the bike, I am surprised

the Yacht Club would allow you to be a member? Maybe even if you were in the dually? :D

I would think not many Yacht Clubs would allow either?

Paul T

If I am reading this correctly, it appears you were riding a motorcycle, or maybe driving the dually? If on the bike, I am surprised

the Yacht Club would allow you to be a member? Maybe even if you were in the dually? :D

Paul T

Driving the dually, last time I parked it in the guest lot at CYC overnight for a weekend regatta, the dockmaster threatened to have it towed. :P Right now the Porsche is a Push, freshening up the heads. :(

Funny thing is, I never heard his loud pipes until after he passed...

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Driving the dually, last time I parked it in the guest lot at CYC overnight for a weekend regatta, the dockmaster threatened to have it towed. :P Right now the Porsche is a Push, freshening up the heads. :(

Funny thing is, I never heard his loud pipes until after he passed...

You were lucky it was still there, "Duallys", very unsophisticated, Porches, not bad, maybe acceotable?

Every year, there is an event called "Street Vibrations" in our area, almost exclusively Harleys. We hear "Rolling Thunder" for

4 days:

http://www.roadshowsreno.com/sv_fall.php

50,000 "Enthusiasts" The event is a bit poorly named, however. Should be "Street thunder". You can't believe the constant noise.

All 10, or so, off road motorcycles I owned had mufflers on them, all but 2 were 2 strokes. The mufflers actually worked.

When riding Enduros in the National Forests, we had to pass a Forest Service sound test. I doubt that the "Average" Harley

would even come close to passing, many are very loud.

Paul T

Well, Harley riders seem to be very enthusiastic about their bikes. Do Harley's leak oil, like some American made cars & trucks?

It appears some Harley riders are not very tolerant of Japanese bikes, I think they call them "Rice burners"?

Paul T

It's the other way around Paul. I first acquired a 99Honda 1100 that was a nice looking bike that seemed to be well maintained. It leaked oil, water, and fuel. And as member of the Honda Shadow forums they were pretty constantly starting threads that bashed Harley's. And BTW I have been towed twice with the Honda.

I recently acquired a 96 FLSTF and that bike in my opinion is a step above the Honda. It rides better, it's more powerful, get better fuel mileage, and has better resale. I've been a member of the Harley site for awhile and so far no rice burner bashing threads.

Now I'm probably not a typical Harley rider as I have no fringe or get back whip and my pipes aren't very loud. 😎

I'm thinking "the fuque is a get back whip?" Google to the rescue.

girl-bike.jpg

Gotcha :lol:

But really, you gotta be some kind of idiot to swing something like that at a guy in a 6000lb truck.

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

It's the other way around Paul. I first acquired a 99Honda 1100 that was a nice looking bike that seemed to be well maintained. It leaked oil, water, and fuel. And as member of the Honda Shadow forums they were pretty constantly starting threads that bashed Harley's. And BTW I have been towed twice with the Honda.

I recently acquired a 96 FLSTF and that bike in my opinion is a step above the Honda. It rides better, it's more powerful, get better fuel mileage, and has better resale. I've been a member of the Harley site for awhile and so far no rice burner bashing threads.

Now I'm probably not a typical Harley rider as I have no fringe or get back whip and my pipes aren't very loud.

Well, I am just teasing Harley riders. Being American made, I just assumed they leaked oil. My apologies. I had 6 Japanese & 4 European

motorcycles. The only one that leaked oil was my British made AJS, & leak, it did. I have owned 7 Honda & 1 Nissan cars, & maintained 3

other Honda cars, in addition to a Honda snow blower, generator & outboard, all which worked perfectly right out of the box, & none

of which leaked anything.

Every American made car I owned, plus my Dad's, for a total of 7, leaked oil, from the rear main bearing.

"They all do that, it is not a problem"

Surprised to hear about your Honda leaking. A friend recently bought an older Gold Wing,

with over 100,000 miles on it, IIRC, & said it runs perfectly, & doesn't leak oil.

Paul T

We kid the Harley guys.

Anything with liquid inside can leak - I've had personally had a Ducati & Suzuki that 'marked their territory' ( one easily remedied, the other not so much...)

Anybody can be a noise-pollution asshole - metric bike, big domestic, tuner car or lifted truck. All of them should be subject to hearing their own vehicle non-stop for a week. btw, ever notice how the loud-truck guys seem to always have THEIR windows up ? - Sure they want US to hear that shit, but not subject themselves to it...but never mind that

As for the ST1100 - that is a pretty complex touring machine - get one that wasn't looked after and that IS going to be a headache - sort of like buying a used BMW 750il for cheap...suspicious...

And what machines do you REALLY see in "the middle of nowhere, USA" ? Road Kings and Gold Wings - so ride what makes you happy - just remember that the bigger the road, the worse the food and never get between a Gold Wing rider and a Buffet line.

Guest Dabnis

We kid the Harley guys.

Anything with liquid inside can leak - I've had personally had a Ducati & Suzuki that 'marked their territory' ( one easily remedied, the other not so much...)

Anybody can be a noise-pollution asshole - metric bike, big domestic, tuner car or lifted truck. All of them should be subject to hearing their own vehicle non-stop for a week. btw, ever notice how the loud-truck guys seem to always have THEIR windows up ? - Sure they want US to hear that shit, but not subject themselves to it...but never mind that

As for the ST1100 - that is a pretty complex touring machine - get one that wasn't looked after and that IS going to be a headache - sort of like buying a used BMW 750il for cheap...suspicious...

And what machines do you REALLY see in "the middle of nowhere, USA" ? Road Kings and Gold Wings - so ride what makes you happy - just remember that the bigger the road, the worse the food and never get between a Gold Wing rider and a Buffet line.

"Buffet line"? Interesting you would mention that. My friend with the Gold Wing is a big guy. When we have them over for dinner, there

are seldom any left overs. "Fred, would you like some more?" Fred: "Why not, that is good stuff" :D

Could be that a motor that has been "Opened up", for whatever reason, is more susceptible to oil leaks?

Paul T

most of the men and women i see on harleys look like the brake for buffets...every buffet they see it would seem.

We kid the Harley guys.

"Buffet line"? Interesting you would mention that. My friend with the Gold Wing is a big guy. When we have them over for dinner, there

are seldom any left overs. "Fred, would you like some more?" Fred: "Why not, that is good stuff" :D

Could be that a motor that has been "Opened up", for whatever reason, is more susceptible to oil leaks?

Paul T

Guest Dabnis

You know what the front brake caliper on a Harley is for ?

That's where they keep the spare brake pads for the rear brake.

Oh Shark, you are in dangerous waters, come about Lad, you are dead a long time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+hells+angels&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ7AlqFQoTCPzi1az8g8cCFQiWiAodF7sKaA#imgrc=PKkJ77j6zwdDuM%3A

I don't see any "Rice burners" in those pictures?

We had a very liberal, intellectual woman neighbor who used to refer to the construction workers in our area as "No neckers" kind of like the above.

I understand many Harley owners have fierce brand loyalty. I wonder if they like the "Twisties"? Good to know Harley's don't leak oil.

Paul T

I had my ST4 called a 'Rice Burner' once by a guy without a motorcycle asking why I didn't get a 'Real' motorcycle ?
( as if there were anything more real in motorcycling than that 4-valve 916cc L-Twin on the boil - "Look ma, no redline !" )

So much stupid out there...and besides, they grow a lot of rice in Italy - what, nobody watches "Bitter Rice" anymore ?

btw, ever notice how the loud-truck guys seem to always have THEIR windows up ?

I've got pretty much the loudest motherfucking diesel pickup in history. If my windows are up, it's for environmental reasons. As in, it's too hot/cold or raining. I love listening to that big bitch echo off the trailer under full throttle with the beer window open.

But, I'm pretty redneck. :)

If you want to see some real crazy offroad bike shite, look up what Eurotrash call "rodeos".

Racing stupid overpowered bikes through worked out open pit mines, great stuff. Erlenburg Rodeo is the Sturgis for these guys. Crazy 150hp+ off road bikes.

R1dirt.jpg

Paul T

Now I'm probably not a typical Harley rider as I have no fringe or get back whip and my pipes aren't very loud.

Well, I am just teasing Harley riders. Being American made, I just assumed they leaked oil. My apologies. I had 6 Japanese & 4 European

motorcycles. The only one that leaked oil was my British made AJS, & leak, it did. I have owned 7 Honda & 1 Nissan cars, & maintained 3

other Honda cars, in addition to a Honda snow blower, generator & outboard, all which worked perfectly right out of the box, & none

Every American made car I owned, plus my Dad's, for a total of 7, leaked oil, from the rear main bearing.

Surprised to hear about your Honda leaking. A friend recently bought an older Gold Wing,

with over 100,000 miles on it, IIRC, & said it runs perfectly, & doesn't leak oil.

Paul T

If there isn't oil under it there isn't oil in it

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Paul T

If there isn't oil under it there isn't oil in it

Curious to know which bike you are referring to? But I can guess. I went into a Reno Harley dealer to buy a friend, & Harley owner, a cup,

or something like that, with a Harley logo on it, & noticed many of the bikes on the floor had drip pans under them.

Paul T

Well I must have gotten really lucky to get a leaky Honda. Also my GFs 2013 250hp Honda 4 stroker outboard has been through 2 Honda key switches, one neutral safety switch, and a rectifier. The Honda God hates me and based on that I will never own another Honda product again.

YMMV

Guest Dabnis

Well I must have gotten really lucky to get a leaky Honda. Also my GFs 2013 250hp Honda 4 stroker outboard has been through 2 Honda key switches, one neutral safety switch, and a rectifier. The Honda God hates me and based on that I will never own another Honda product again.

YMMV

250 hp outboard? My, that is a big one, looks like a victim of the electrical gremlins. Although I have been very fortunate not to have any

Honda problems, I am sure anything mechanical / electrical is subject to failures, some worse than others.

One of the fishing lodges we used to go to, in BC, used to run Honda 50hp 4 strokes which ran perfectly, except for one which had its flywheel

come apart. Luckily, the cowl confined all the pieces. I don't know if it had been worked on prior to the failure or not, or if it was just wear & tear.

Paul T

Tony Lara, a commercial fishing ship captain who appeared on Discovery's reality show "Deadliest Catch," died Saturday while attending the annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. He was 50.

Meade County Sheriff Ron Merwin said Lara died early Saturday morning in a private home in Sturgis, the Associated Press reported Monday. Autopsy results were not yet available to determine the cause of death.

As of Friday, the 55th annual rally in Sturgis had claimed 12 lives in motorcycle crashes -- making this year's event the deadliest in its history, according to ABC station KOTA from Rapid City, S.D.

Yeah - the big mega-rallies - Sturgis, Daytona and Laconia, ALL record a number of fatalities every year - each one significantly more dangerous than competing in the Isle of Man TT races.

Surely alcohol & helmet-less riding couldn't have anything to do with that...

Doing a solo cross-country ride in '08, my transit timing had me crossing the west about the time that Sturgis was going on, and I had quite a few people ask:

" So, you headed to South Dakota, then ? "

"Heck No."

"Why not ?"

"Well, let's see: I hate crowds, can't stand bad riding, don't like obnoxious drunks, am not a Harley sycophant, not in the market for bad tattoos or meth, would rather ride than drink and polish a toy, and I think loud pipes are for selfish jerks."

Aside from the outlaws, drunks, crashers, posers, cops & profiteers I'm sure it's a lot of fun.

Riding solo is one on the great joys - you don't have to wait around for anybody, you can stop when you want, & camp where you please.

These bike conversations are alternately entertaining and predictable.

I've owned more than my share of bikes, foreign and domestic, trail, motocross, street and touring.

It is amazing how long lived some stereotypes can be.

My last Honda, a mid sized street bike, leaked oil. My first Harley, an old Ironhead Sportster, leaked a little though not nearly as much. None of my other Harleys leaked.

My Electra Glide Ultra never vibrated the mirrors, ever. I used it for some Iron Butt rides and it took very good care of me.

Guest Dabnis

Well, that makes two Honda's that leaked oil. Never had a street bike, much less a Harley. A good friend had a Harley, seat about

18" off the ground, bars about 48" off the ground, always wondered about that? His Harley leaked oil, I used to tease him about it.

Harley riders are fun to tease, they react fiercely. He & his wife used to ride all over the country. He was a colorful fellow,

big guy with the big full Harley beard, bald head, bandanna, & little wire rim dark glasses. He looked like many other Harley riders.

He used to call my Japanese dirt bikes "God damn "Rice burners" :D

Paul T

Can't stand slammed Harleys. They don't have enough cornering clearance as it is.

And yes, there are a lot of poseurs attracted to them. I went to a HOG meeting about 10 years ago just to see what the local chapter was like. The place was packed. Only one seat was left at a small table with a big ugly pirate sitting at the other stool. I sit down and 'Ol Ugly says "So you wanna sit with the bad boy, eh?" Yeah, whatever.

The meeting breaks up and as I walk out the door there's 'Ol Ugly squeezing into an old rusty Subaru! :wacko::lol:

I didn't go back.

My Electra Glide Ultra never vibrated the mirrors, ever. I used it for some Iron Butt rides and it took very good care of me.

Every other year a few guys enter Evo Harley's in the Iron Butt. I think one might have finished, but most drop out or blow up. They used to have bad oiling problems in the lower rod bearings, so you could never run them long & hard.

But being Harley's that Hardley ever came up...

:)

Guest Dabnis

Every other year a few guys enter Evo Harley's in the Iron Butt. I think one might have finished, but most drop out or blow up. They used to have bad oiling problems in the lower rod bearings, so you could never run them long & hard.

My Evo Road King Didn't get taken on long, hard rides and I've never heard of the oiling issue. They were replaced by the Twin Cam in 2000 on the Softtails and 1998 on the other large chassis.

Do you have personal experience with the Evo?

I do know the Twin Cam can take it.

I've done an SS1000 on a Sportster - and put 100K miles on the original engine (after hopping it up a bit when the warranty ran out). I'm still riding it - while I rebuild the original engine, with a bit more displacement. "Used to have bad oiling problems"? Tell me what ya mean - I'm not aware of that.

How many entrants on the k1200s and GWs drop out?

The real IronButt would be great fun, but, it'll haveta wait 'til I quit swapping hours for $$.

"Harley riders are fun to tease, they react fiercely" - yep

I always just have a chuckle at the crowd of guys all dressed alike while expounding on expressing their individuality !

The funniest bit is the Fan-boys - so unthinkingly dedicated as to be blind to the reality of form over function, noise over skill and rhetoric over riding. I can't TELL you how many times I've been asked: "Why don't you get a REAL bike ? " when riding something that I've put a lot of miles on just fine - I ALWAYS ask what THEY are riding and half the time it's something like: "Oh, ah....I gonna get me a Harley..." - so somebody with a H-D sticker on his Ford truck without a bike is lecturing ME about machinery ? Please. or the clown that called my ST4 a 'Rice burner' - because in his little mind anything not labeled H-D must be Japanese, right ??? ( nevermind all those other countries out there making fine machinery)

My favorite was riding the Aprilia or KTM - just TRY explaining where those come from !

But, the bikes themselves ? They mostly work just fine these days - though I can remember a time when you had to give yourself a year or so to sort out your new H-D - not unlike buying a Ford in the late '70s.

But hey, MotoGP just wrapped at Indy and the Doc is still a few points out front of his teammate for the time-being, so it's all good.