• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

Many dealerships get right over that whole 'treason' sort of thinking when it comes to the Bottom Line and not having a full product range - sure there are some smaller shops that only sell H-D and nothing but, but most motorsports dealers NEED a ATV, offroad utility, Personal watercraft, and performance bike lines to be competitive.

KTM and Kawasaki are often complimentary lines - even though Kawasaki does sell a 'Metric cruiser' range - Harley and their Police Specials were a natural when police departments bought all those KZ1100s like they rode on 'ChiPs'.

My Electra Glide Ultra never vibrated the mirrors, ever. I used it for some Iron Butt rides and it took very good care of me.

Every other year a few guys enter Evo Harley's in the Iron Butt. I think one might have finished, but most drop out or blow up. They used to have bad oiling problems in the lower rod bearings, so you could never run them long & hard.

But being Harley's that Hardley ever came up...

:)

I've done an SS1000 on a Sportster - and put 100K miles on the original engine (after hopping it up a bit when the warranty ran out). I'm still riding it - while I rebuild the original engine, with a bit more displacement. "Used to have bad oiling problems"? Tell me what ya mean - I'm not aware of that.

How many entrants on the k1200s and GWs drop out?

The real IronButt would be great fun, but, it'll haveta wait 'til I quit swapping hours for $$.

No, really. His step uncle's neighbors baby sitter heard...

Buell ran into the same problem when he was still messing with Harley twins that was amongst his many Thunderstorm engine tweaks, highway patrols still using Harleys blew them up all the time, but the "Death Wobble" got most of the press. Either way like clockwork, on Day 5 or 6 of an Iron Butt the one or two Big Twin Evo's would cook a bearing. 12k in two weeks doing 80mph+ at 12 hour stretches finds the reliability holes on retail bikes. If nothing else the Iron Butt is a decent abuse test tube, and another reason why I'll never own a Harley. Or BMW.

I had a longtime love/hate flirtation with Buell's, but in the end a lot of his solutions were gimmicky answers to questions nobody asked. Worked on paper, but not necessarily realized in the real world, his perimeter brakes for one. On paper one disk with a six pad caliper should work better...but they never did. The build quality & reliability were never up to par either. Even at $6k for a new 1125 when they were blowing them out at the end I couldn't pull the trigger.

Guest Dabnis

Many dealerships get right over that whole 'treason' sort of thinking when it comes to the Bottom Line and not having a full product range - sure there are some smaller shops that only sell H-D and nothing but, but most motorsports dealers NEED a ATV, offroad utility, Personal watercraft, and performance bike lines to be competitive.

KTM and Kawasaki are often complimentary lines - even though Kawasaki does sell a 'Metric cruiser' range - Harley and their Police Specials were a natural when police departments bought all those KZ1100s like they rode on 'ChiPs'.

In about 1970 I went into Dudley Perkins Harley dealership before I bought my first serious dirt bike, a 360cc AJS Stormer.

IIRC, it was in a really old building near Market & Van Ness streets in San Francisco. I think it had wooden floors, old & splintery,

& oily. Saw Mert Lawill in there.

From their website, they have moved to South San Francisco & have been in business since 1914. I didn't see any other kind of bike

on their website except Harley's. They must be a "Traditionalist" kind of Harley dealer?

http://www.dpchd.com/default.asp

Paul T

So, just had a group of bikes roll down the road, revving with the clutches in, just to make noise. Set off many car alarms. Are thier dicks really that small? They have to garner attention by making obnoxious noise? Making thier presence known by making noise? What The Fuck?!

Guest Dabnis

So, just had a group of bikes roll down the road, revving with the clutches in, just to make noise. Set off many car alarms. Are thier dicks really that small? They have to garner attention by making obnoxious noise? Making thier presence known by making noise? What The Fuck?!

I have noticed some of them dress rather differently, & that perhaps their personal hygiene may not be the best.

Dress & loud pipes? perhaps a "Look at me" thing? Or the loud pipes, an "In your face" thing. "Don't like my loud pipes?

what are you going to do about it? punk"

Paul T

Loud pipes save lives--

That's their mantra. Roaring 68hp 900lb parade floats adorned with village people wannabes slathered in MoCo garb being individuals. Chrome dipped shitbombs rattling apart peace, quiet and themselves being ridden by renegade dentists and accountants pretending they're Sons of Anarchy reeking havoc and mayhem on their way to Dairy Queen.

Guest Dabnis

300 hp, 206 mph

Still not as loud as a 68hp tractor

Oh my, oh my, sweaty palms. I used to watch some of the World Rally car events, trees always win. In my opinion the Isle of Mann is the

closest thing to jumping out of an airplane without a chute on. So many sharp, very hard things to run into, makes a bullfighter look like

child's play.

Anyway, pretty soon we will have about 50,000 Harley "Enthusiasts" coming through our town:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+street+vibrations&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDQQ7AlqFQoTCP6MiPCz0ccCFUcpiAodjl4FNA

We live about 2 airline miles away from the I-80 Freeway & can hear the bikes all day long.

"Colorful" folks

Paul T

Every year the "Toys for Tots" ride makes me embarrassed to BE a motorcyclist - hundreds of adults on shiny expensive toys making a deafening racket over how great they are for buying some $ 20 trinkets for underprivledged kids.

Hey - you want to help someone out, I'm all for it but 'charity' given to wide-spread coverage is just PR and when the toys the adults are on often exceed the value of the family car it's a bit of an ask to be impressed that you sacked up of a football and then feel vindicated to rattle windows and scare children for miles around.

As for the whole "Loud pipes save lives" bullshit - take a GOOD hard look at the guys saying that - are they wearing proper protective gear ? Rarely - so , that 'safety' they are after is fine when it comes at a cost to other's hearing, but not important enough to wear the stuff we KNOW actually saves lives - never mind actually RIDING safely, and sober, or the FACT that most hazards are in FRONT of you - so those folks can't hear your stupid exhaust noise anyway.

Look, if you want to be perfectly 'safe' just drive your truck with the Harley stickers on it already.

If you feel the need to make nuisance-level noise in order to feel 'safe' on your motorcycle then you aren't up to the risks of riding.

But..... FREEDOM !

In other awesome Motorcycle news, Rossi took the win at Silverstone in the rain - his teammate Lorenzo equal on points going in finished behind 2 Ducs to net The Doctor a 12-point lead headed to Misano.

At 37 next to nobody thought Valentino was likely to be fighting for his 10th championship this year - but I'm sure MotoGP attendance is up for it. Can the "old man' do it again ? Honda-mounted phenom Marquez pretty much finished his chances at repeating with a crash in the English rain (unhurt) but the battle-royal in the Yamaha team will likely go down to the wire. Jorge isn't a kid anymore so don't expect dumb mistakes.

• 69-year-old motocross rider is young at heart
dirt-bike-rider00000000-938x535.jpg

Sports 69-year-old motocross rider is young at heart
Frances-Morgan-150x150.jpgMorgan Frances

News Reporters

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. – Motocross is a sport that attracts a younger crowd, but one man says it’s for those who are young at heart.

A man just shy of 70 years old rides dirt bikes like a kid and competes in about 40 races a year.

The sport is definitely for the adrenaline junkies, and Barry Mayo is without a doubt one of them, but he’s also 69 years old!

“I’m thinking, ‘This guy? I better watch him. He might get hurt or something.'” said Mayo’s friend, Kurt Traulsen. “Then he gets out there and he’s faster than me!”

Mayo has been racing bikes in some form his whole life; he just never quit.

“The guys in my class are no competition.,” Mayo said, “I hate to say that but people over 60s usually don’t do this and when they do, they just kind of put around the track.”

So he often races with the youngins, sometimes 50 years his junior.

“They just think I’m crazy, how do I do it?” Mayo said with a laugh.

Once he hops on his bike, however, everyone realizes just how good he is. And yes, an orthopedic surgeon is his number one fan.

“Tons of injuries,” Mayo said, “all kinds of broken bones and pins and nuts and bolts.”

Doctors say he’s healthy as a horse! Mayo has kids, grand kids and one great-grandchild.

“I’m in better shape than all of them,” Mayo said, “I’m in better shape than all of my kids. It’s, like, ridiculous.”

His fellow riders agree.

“He’s inspired me,” said Kurt Traulsen, another older rider, “I didn’t know how much longer I could ride. I figured I have to hold the candle at least as long as he does.”

We did verify Barry Mayo’s age by looking at his driver’s license, born on December 14, 1945. We also verified that motocross isn’t as easy as it looks!

Mayo said he has a very strict diet. He doesn’t eat processed food; he said he’s essentially a strict vegan, which could be the secret to his young-looking physique.

Follow Morgan Frances on Facebook or Twitter.

• Like 1

Guest Dabnis

• 69-year-old motocross rider is young at heart
dirt-bike-rider00000000-938x535.jpg

Sports 69-year-old motocross rider is young at heart
Frances-Morgan-150x150.jpgMorgan Frances

News Reporters

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. – Motocross is a sport that attracts a younger crowd, but one man says it’s for those who are young at heart.

A man just shy of 70 years old rides dirt bikes like a kid and competes in about 40 races a year.

The sport is definitely for the adrenaline junkies, and Barry Mayo is without a doubt one of them, but he’s also 69 years old!

“I’m thinking, ‘This guy? I better watch him. He might get hurt or something.'” said Mayo’s friend, Kurt Traulsen. “Then he gets out there and he’s faster than me!”

Mayo has been racing bikes in some form his whole life; he just never quit.

“The guys in my class are no competition.,” Mayo said, “I hate to say that but people over 60s usually don’t do this and when they do, they just kind of put around the track.”

So he often races with the youngins, sometimes 50 years his junior.

“They just think I’m crazy, how do I do it?” Mayo said with a laugh.

Once he hops on his bike, however, everyone realizes just how good he is. And yes, an orthopedic surgeon is his number one fan.

“Tons of injuries,” Mayo said, “all kinds of broken bones and pins and nuts and bolts.”

Doctors say he’s healthy as a horse! Mayo has kids, grand kids and one great-grandchild.

“I’m in better shape than all of them,” Mayo said, “I’m in better shape than all of my kids. It’s, like, ridiculous.”

His fellow riders agree.

“He’s inspired me,” said Kurt Traulsen, another older rider, “I didn’t know how much longer I could ride. I figured I have to hold the candle at least as long as he does.”

We did verify Barry Mayo’s age by looking at his driver’s license, born on December 14, 1945. We also verified that motocross isn’t as easy as it looks!

Mayo said he has a very strict diet. He doesn’t eat processed food; he said he’s essentially a strict vegan, which could be the secret to his young-looking physique.

Follow Morgan Frances on Facebook or Twitter.

Oh my, I rode & raced in the dirt for 30 years, quit when I was 65. I can see now why I failed, I ate meat all my life. :D

Loud pipes save lives--

That's their mantra. Roaring 68hp 900lb parade floats adorned with village people wannabes slathered in MoCo garb being individuals. Chrome dipped shitbombs rattling apart peace, quiet and themselves being ridden by renegade dentists and accountants pretending they're Sons of Anarchy reeking havoc and mayhem on their way to Dairy Queen.

+1

Guest Dabnis

Loud Pipes make Loud Assholes!

Oh, Bob, be careful. A 300 pound Gorilla, dressed up like a Harley rider:

" Yeah, asshole, my pipes are loud, what are you going to do about it, huh?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+Harley+riders&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDIQ7AlqFQoTCKvaud732McCFUaViAodqHEJIQ#imgrc=qeYp1ai-lEq9xM%3A

Paul T

Very large groups of 'adults' all attired in a VERY similar manner to express their individuality...yeah - don't expect a lot of critical thinking there.

Never mind the guys spending a hundred grand or two for a custom chopper so they can play badass 'Outlaw'.

Guest Dabnis

Very large groups of 'adults' all attired in a VERY similar manner to express their individuality...yeah - don't expect a lot of critical thinking there.

Never mind the guys spending a hundred grand or two for a custom chopper so they can play badass 'Outlaw'.

Well, some are "Badass". IIRC, about 4 years ago, during the "Street Vibrations event in Reno, there was a shooting at the Nugget

Hotel, in Sparks. One "Bad guy" dead, others injured..

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hells-angels-leader-jeffrey-jethro-pettigrew-dead-injured/story?id=14601542

Paul T

Oh - for sure, there are DEFINATELY some 'real' outlaw bikers out there. No argument from me on that. I've had occasion to encounter Pagans, Warlocks & Jesters on the road - these are NOT t-shirt buying, Jesse James-watching, part-time real estate agent/posers. Those folks are seriously hard-living, hard-riding bikers.

Much like every dingbat flying a pirate flag with no concept of what privateers were or the scourge of society they represented, the casual dentist-playing-badass and the construction guy with the stickers all over his truck and 1,000 miles a year on his Road King may very well idolize the IDEA of not being accountable to daily life's hurdles - but these folks are typically not up to anything worse than some expired milk in the fridge - they just try to make up for it by producing an ungodly racket because...FREEDOM !

It's a Free country and all, but consideration for others USED to be an American value.

My personal favorites - I built a custom bike for my better half. Kawasaki 900, she took it to a show sponsored by a Harley dealer. guy showed her where to park. I showed up a little later and asked her why she was parked with the Harleys. Guy told me to park here. go ask guy (he is an employee of said Harley shop) where should she park. he replies right fucking there, where I put her. I laughed my ass off when his boss read off the first place harley --- a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I mentioned to the boss he should teach his employees what harleys look like.

love people who "only ride Harleys" - oh so you're not a biker, rider etc you just like to follow the crowd with what's popular?

we pulled in to a popular spot and parked our mixed bag of bikes near some harleys. apparently the all dressed the same in the latest crap the harley catalog had to offer RUBS thought their bikes may catch something as they came out and moved their bikes.

last one, we did the Harley anniv here. I was on a buell and my son was riding my CBR600. My son started riding dirt at 4, he was 17 at the time. pull up to a light and the guy next to me start cracking about the punk on the crotch rocket behind him (my son). watch me dust that kid....LOL didn't quite go as he planned. LOL

I rode Harleys back when they weren't the popular bike to have and I ride them today. I had gone to other brands for many years, not because of the bikes but because I can't stand the current crop of Harley riders. put on a leather jacket and suddenly I'm a bad ass mother...

Yes I do have a leather jacket, I wear it for road rash protection, cold weather and crap.

I have owned and ridden almost all of the brands of bikes. my last bike will be a BMW so beautiful and smooth, and before than I will ride one of those "so sexy they make me want to do bad things" Italian girls.

my definitlion of bikers is easy, it's the guy who doesn't care what the tank says. it's got two wheels and wind I'm gonna ride that bitch.

Funny my now wiife of 25 years and I had a conversation about 2 weeks after we met. I mentioned to her how women like to do the "it's the bike or me" thing. I told her if she decided to try that, please make sure to have your bags packed. now days she rides street and dirt with me. didn't take long for her to figure out if she wanted to spend time with me it would probably involve a helmet.

oh and no Paul most current bikes do not leak oil.

Guest Dabnis

My personal favorites - I built a custom bike for my better half. Kawasaki 900, she took it to a show sponsored by a Harley dealer. guy showed her where to park. I showed up a little later and asked her why she was parked with the Harleys. Guy told me to park here. go ask guy (he is an employee of said Harley shop) where should she park. he replies right fucking there, where I put her. I laughed my ass off when his boss read off the first place harley --- a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I mentioned to the boss he should teach his employees what harleys look like.

love people who "only ride Harleys" - oh so you're not a biker, rider etc you just like to follow the crowd with what's popular?

we pulled in to a popular spot and parked our mixed bag of bikes near some harleys. apparently the all dressed the same in the latest crap the harley catalog had to offer RUBS thought their bikes may catch something as they came out and moved their bikes.

last one, we did the Harley anniv here. I was on a buell and my son was riding my CBR600. My son started riding dirt at 4, he was 17 at the time. pull up to a light and the guy next to me start cracking about the punk on the crotch rocket behind him (my son). watch me dust that kid....LOL didn't quite go as he planned. LOL

I rode Harleys back when they weren't the popular bike to have and I ride them today. I had gone to other brands for many years, not because of the bikes but because I can't stand the current crop of Harley riders. put on a leather jacket and suddenly I'm a bad ass mother...

Yes I do have a leather jacket, I wear it for road rash protection, cold weather and crap.

I have owned and ridden almost all of the brands of bikes. my last bike will be a BMW so beautiful and smooth, and before than I will ride one of those "so sexy they make me want to do bad things" Italian girls.

my definitlion of bikers is easy, it's the guy who doesn't care what the tank says. it's got two wheels and wind I'm gonna ride that bitch.

Funny my now wiife of 25 years and I had a conversation about 2 weeks after we met. I mentioned to her how women like to do the "it's the bike or me" thing. I told her if she decided to try that, please make sure to have your bags packed. now days she rides street and dirt with me. didn't take long for her to figure out if she wanted to spend time with me it would probably involve a helmet.

Ah, life is good, wish you both many more miles.

oh and no Paul most current bikes do not leak oil.

That is a good thing, except for the maker of Greasesweep.

Paul T

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Indeed so.

Even the guy who drives a new Cayman will turn his head when a lumpy idling, flamed paint '57 Chevy Bel Air drives by.

Goodness! All this talk about Harleys and loud pipes.....

What are you all trying to do, attract Swan back into the fold?

Guest Dabnis

Great pics of the bikes in the snow. But, they are going to make a mark on the snow, how terrible, the Cross Country skiers

won't like that. The bikes must be banned.

Paul T

just got home from a trip to scotland where we drove all over the friggin place. Lots of bikes on the roads, saw a few Harleys. mostly Euro and Jap tourers. what impressed me was the absence of loud bikes. Not one. You fuckwits with the loud pipes get over yourselves and quit waking me up from across the river.

South Park gets another one right LOL

Guest Dabnis

just got home from a trip to scotland where we drove all over the friggin place. Lots of bikes on the roads, saw a few Harleys. mostly Euro and Jap tourers. what impressed me was the absence of loud bikes. Not one. You fuckwits with the loud pipes get over yourselves and quit waking me up from across the river.

We made several trips to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Northern France & Northern Italy. Lots & lots of bikes, mostly sport bikes.

On the weekends the big deal was man & lady, riding two up, dressed in matching colorful leathers, riding on double kill., amazing,

& a bit scary to watch. I can't remember ever hearing a loud bike, or seeing a Harley.

Paul T

Subsequently, when in the Dolomites you see little signs on hotels that say "Motorad Welcomen" as opposed to the ones you see at campgrounds across the US that say "No Motorcycles".

Checking in to a hotel in downtown Verona, in the rain - traffic & parking beyond dense, Ferrari and Benz drop-tops parked in front and the doorman says "You can put the bike inside" and points me to the tiny garage...I'm thinking: "A guy could get used to this..."

Guest Dabnis

Subsequently, when in the Dolomites you see little signs on hotels that say "Motorad Welcomen" as opposed to the ones you see at campgrounds across the US that say "No Motorcycles".

Checking in to a hotel in downtown Verona, in the rain - traffic & parking beyond dense, Ferrari and Benz drop-tops parked in front and the doorman says "You can put the bike inside" and points me to the tiny garage...I'm thinking: "A guy could get used to this..."

One of my dirt bike riding partners was also into street riding big time. he did a lot of bike racing at Sears Point in the70's & 80's,

Almost every year, he & his wife used to rent bikes & "Do Europe", two up, mostly in Germany. His wife loved it, said she loved

riding "On kill"

Unfortunately, in the later years, they did a big time get off, both landing in the hospital with serious injuries. When we were there bike touring,

which was just basically unorganized racing, was a huge deal.

Paul T

you guys Quit dragging yer Fenders under way & what's with you having a sailboat and Just Burning the Diesel to runaround when there is plenty of wind !

stereotyping just like you ;)

• Like 1

Guest Dabnis

After a bit of boating, one does want a good bike and gracious woman.

Oh my, nice video. Looks & sounds like how my friends in my post #242 used to describe their rides, "Quickly",

IIRC he had a BMW, maybe 3 cylinder in line?, I know it was red.

Paul T

They got everything right except for the harley shop in BV. We have a great motorcycle shop but there isn't a single harley or similarly annoying bike in there.

Well in MotoGP they ride Aragon this weekend, one of 3 Spanish rounds. The Yamahas of Lorenzo, Rossi and Smith are 1,2,3 in the afternoon practice - qualifying is tomorrow. Rossi leads the championship by 23 points with 5 races left - so Lorenzo only needs to win every race and he's still got a chance - which he could honestly do, but anything can happen. One thing is sure - there will be nothing short of mania at the track. The Spaniards like their motorcycle racing ! -- Many top riders in all the classes are Spanish, Rossi's rivals being Lorenzo, Marquez, Pedrosa - all likely winners on Sunday.

In other Moto-news, American riding great Doug Chandler is 50 ! (do you feel old now ?? )

Some great vintage pics at:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image/archive/15archive/dc10/

The rarefied 'Grand Slam' club they talk about ( Chandler, with just Dick Mann, Bubba Shobert and Kenny Roberts - all Greats of the Sport) - is AMA championships on long and short dirt tracks and Superbike roadracing - serious riding, that.

Also photos from Aragon today on that site (go back to news) - the shot of Lorenzo with his elbow down is sobering view on just how hard that guy wants to win.

Marquez found his mojo and put the Honda on pole, with a track record. Lorenzo second and Andrea IIonne put his Duc on the front row ! (he's hurt and his teammate, the veteran Dovioso is back at 13th) Pedrosa put his Honda on the second row between the Yamahas of Espargo and Rossi. The old man has his work cut out for him is he is to preserve his lead - no coasting in this game - this season could come down to the last corner.

As for the Distinguished Gentleman's Rides - yeah, how DARE those guys go have fun wearing ties and riding motorcycles ? The nerve !

Dabnis,

Before Harley stupidly killed off/squandered the Buell brand that they had spent a lot of money acquiring, the dealers were largely unwilling to support the line with any consistency - I don't know if it was a 'lifestyle' thing or what, but a lot of shops considered them 'weird' and just didn't promote or service them very well at all. While there were some quality-control issues, it's hardly like those were unknown in Harley products and most Harley dealers already had a supplemental line like Kawasaki for dirtbikes and such - so having an American 'sportbike' option really was a good niche-filler.

But no, H-D went out and bought 10, then 40, then 98% of Buell, THEN went and bought MV Agusta ( ostensibly to access their crap European dealer network, = stupid) and then about a half-hour later turned around and dumped MV at a significant loss and instead of selling Buell to Polaris or somebody, just took them out back with a shotgun like ol' Yeller. Really wasteful and asinine.

^^^^^ Amen. I think that the dealerships just couldn't bring themselves to consider the needs of the customer base that the Buells intended to serve. Shoot - they've got the VROD - if they made a sport-touring bike based on that engine - I'd get off my cheap ass and buy one today! That's saying somethin' for me - I'm so cheap that the last new bike I bought was in 1998. (disclaimer, I've only bought 7 bikes in the interim period)

The vrod I rode was technically very nice. The engine started immediately and was frankly like a modern fuel injected close loop car engine with a killer brain. Ran great cold or hot and with sweet intuitive throttle response. Hauled ass. The only issue I had with the bike was the riding position and weight of the thing. Hit the throttle and you better be ready or that bike is going to ride out from under your ass. In city traffic I felt like I was more asking the bike to manuever and hoping versus being in total control like my bmw f650. Very different style of bike though. I mainly just didnt like having to hold the bars so hard during acceleration but I suppose you learn to lean forward before opening it up.

Guest Dabnis

Dabnis,

Before Harley stupidly killed off/squandered the Buell brand that they had spent a lot of money acquiring, the dealers were largely unwilling to support the line with any consistency - I don't know if it was a 'lifestyle' thing or what, but a lot of shops considered them 'weird' and just didn't promote or service them very well at all. While there were some quality-control issues, it's hardly like those were unknown in Harley products and most Harley dealers already had a supplemental line like Kawasaki for dirtbikes and such - so having an American 'sportbike' option really was a good niche-filler.

But no, H-D went out and bought 10, then 40, then 98% of Buell, THEN went and bought MV Agusta ( ostensibly to access their crap European dealer network, = stupid) and then about a half-hour later turned around and dumped MV at a significant loss and instead of selling Buell to Polaris or somebody, just took them out back with a shotgun like ol' Yeller. Really wasteful and asinine.

^^^^^ Amen. I think that the dealerships just couldn't bring themselves to consider the needs of the customer base that the Buells intended to serve. Shoot - they've got the VROD - if they made a sport-touring bike based on that engine - I'd get off my cheap ass and buy one today! That's saying somethin' for me - I'm so cheap that the last new bike I bought was in 1998. (disclaimer, I've only bought 7 bikes in the interim period)

The vrod I rode was technically very nice. The engine started immediately and was frankly like a modern fuel injected close loop car engine with a killer brain. Ran great cold or hot and with sweet intuitive throttle response. Hauled ass. The only issue I had with the bike was the riding position and weight of the thing. Hit the throttle and you better be ready or that bike is going to ride out from under your ass. In city traffic I felt like I was more asking the bike to manuever and hoping versus being in total control like my bmw f650. Very different style of bike though. I mainly just didnt like having to hold the bars so hard during acceleration but I suppose you learn to lean forward before opening it up.

"Hold on"? I remember that. Had a 1975, or so 400cc KTM 2 stroke, which was on the pipey side. With me at about 155 pounds, the front

wheel spent a lot of time in the air, not always as planned. After a long day in rough terrain my hands didn't work very well, spelled "Cramps"

However, as I remember, lots of power was great fun. Used to sneak it out on some of the back roads. Even with knobbies, it was "instant wheelies".

Paul T

Yeah - the V-Rod, and now the new "Street" things ? I don't know what The Motor Company is thinking sometimes. They repeatedly double-down on their core values and disregard them alternatively - they sell the heck out of those machines with all the collateral marketing and imagery, and make it all very real in modern large-displacement air-cooled V-Twins for the high-end and super-premium markets - they've experimented with co-branding ( the italian imports and AMF association) before and SAW it only 'dilluted' the brand - but what company DOESN'T want to be all things to thier markets, and thier dealers keep reporting all these people called "riders" that want lightweight bikes, or MX, or a sportbike, or a scooter.

So what do they do ? Buy floundering Cannondale and make an American Moto-Cross dynasty ? Nope.

Nurture American innovation by supporting young Eric Buell ? - Sure, right up until they had him mock and crush his very own Buell Blast! into a cube for an internet video - how insulting to anyone that took a risk on THAT product, huh ? Than a month or so later H-D axes the whole shebang. - All while they had the V-Rod collaboration going on with Porsche for that engine design - an interesting motor and all, but the thing is HUGE. Never cared for cruiser-seating myself - don't like the feel at all at speed and I don't need a low seat - I learned to put my feet up a long time ago.

But nevermind that - H-D had the big-buck investment in the V-Rod platform and a LOT of bad consumer debt from financing a lot of full-loaded Heritage Specials to guys that really couldn't afford it and they own the vast majority of Buell, what do you do ?

They went and bought MV Agusta for cash - only to sell it less than a year later for a loss and pull the plug on Buell entirely - only to launch an entirely separate "Street" imported line built in India, not 5 years later.

For a complany that has been around for over a hundred years they sure don't act like it.

Tomorrow when I show up at the station it will be with the rumble of loud bikes rolling into town.

12-15k of them for the annual Oyster Run.

On a Full,Supermoon with an eclipse!

Going to be a long damn day of scraping people off the asphalt!

WL

Hardley Abelson was at a crossroad during the AMF years. Contrary to Willie G's nostalgia Harley's were never the bikes the cool kids rode, The Wild One was all Triumphs & Norton's.

So in the 80's Harley had a choice, make a real bike or double down on the "lifestyle "

But Harley did build a V4 watercooled beast that if fixed & tweaked could beat Japan's best. But Willie G killed it, and Hardley has been a doo rag peddling company ever since.

All hail Project Nova, father of the Vrod and harbinger of all that needs mocking about Harley's.

http://big-diesel.blogspot.ca/2007/09/nova-harley-davidson-which-was-never.html?m=1

hdnova.jpg

Guest Dabnis

Tomorrow when I show up at the station it will be with the rumble of loud bikes rolling into town.

12-15k of them for the annual Oyster Run.

On a Full,Supermoon with an eclipse!

Going to be a long damn day of scraping people off the asphalt!

WL

We have this going on as we speak:

http://www.roadshowsreno.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=street+vibrations+2009+pictures&biw=1088&bih=521&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDMQ7AlqFQoTCJ6f-4C6l8gCFQc7iAodcgUBlw&dpr=1.25

50,000 some odd Harley "Enthusiasts", oh my!!

Paul T

Lorenzo with the holeshot and then checked out like Matt Mladin used to do - "See Ya !" Marquez binned it 2 laps in chasing him. Perdrosa held off The Doc for second so Rossi gave 9 points back to Jorge...with 4 races left - anybody's ballgame now. The factory Ducatis 4 & 5th - a pretty good showing.

At least Harleys don't sound like up bloviated animal Eh Woodie. 😆

Guest Dabnis

Still faster more powerful and better looking than a Harley

Must not be too many Harley riders here?

Paul T

You know what they say about opinions and assholes and you have one of each or is that are one of each. 😝

Dood, that's from 1997.

Oh wait, Hardley rider, that's recent history for y'all.

<SNIP>

Try finding parts for your metric bike if it makes it past 15 years of age.... USA's collection excepted, many good bikes seem to be prematurely regaled to the parts heap because some critical component hasn't been made fro 5 years, and can't be readily found. Not a bust, really, on the metric stuff, more of a lament, because there's some damn cool old bikes that oughta still be going at 50 yrs of age.

Dood, that's from 1997.

Oh wait, Hardley rider, that's recent history for y'all.

<SNIP>

Try finding parts for your metric bike if it makes it past 15 years of age.... USA's collection excepted, many good bikes seem to be prematurely regaled to the parts heap because some critical component hasn't been made fro 5 years, and can't be readily found. Not a bust, really, on the metric stuff, more of a lament, because there's some damn cool old bikes that oughta still be going at 50 yrs of age.

Thats the problem I'm having with my 99 Honda Aero. I'm trying to keep it up because I have it for sale but parts are harder to find.

The one thing I have to ask to those with Harleyenvyitis is why do the Harleys hold their value while the metrics become virtually worthless over time?

My vmax is almost 20 years old-

It's got parts from Hondas, various yanahas, triumph, a ton of custom parts and even a dodge neon tail light-

Just because it doesn't say "aero" doesn't mean it won't fit-

And trust me- I've never once envied a Harley- they're overpriced underpowered pieces of antiquated shit marketed to boomers who want a last gasp at being cool before its time to head to shady acres-

It's got parts from Hondas, various yanahas, triumph, a ton of custom parts and even a dodge neon tail light-

And trust me- I've never once envied a Harley- they're overpriced underpowered pieces of antiquated shit marketed to boomers who want a last gasp at being cool before its time to head to shady acres-

I like your Vmax - and I liked my V65 Sabre, and I like my old HDs, and old BMWs, Ducatis, and Guzzis as well. Your generalizations are wrong, as are those who'd say that your Vmax wouldn't run past 5 years old because Yamaha had shitty ignition electronics.

I helped put together and have ridden a Sportster that I suspect is faster than your Vmax - and as fast as the R1 is stock. This, from an engine not too far derived from an old John Deere model A tractor. Piss off with the "all HD riders are idiot lemmings" bullshit - it's tired.

Most*

Happy?

No sportster can do 0-100 in under 3 seconds- even if tossed out of a plane-

But whatever- I think Harley's suck giant dripping donkey balls- sue me

Most*

Happy?

Why sue ya? you're allowed to think whatever you like. I'll still be smiling enjoying mine.

Our sportster did a run in excess of 170mph, timed w/lights accurate to 1/1000th of a second. Your Vmax won't do that, and (it's been a few years now) IIRC, your R1 stock would top out somewhere around the same. I wouldn't want to ride that bike across the country any more than I'd want to take your R1 any farther than a tank of gas.

Horse for courses, and all that.

First off I not talking about after market parts. It's harder to find carb kits, ignition parts, and forget trying to get engine internals.

Secondly, you don't know shit about Harley's product line so study up. If I based your logic on the metric bikes I would say all they offer is Harley wannabes at half the horsepower and value, but I know better.

And finally, so fucken what if there are a bunch of folks that enjoy riding cruisers. From my angle you sound like a jealous hater and we don't give a rats ass about what you think. Peace out brother...

I know a shit ton about hardleys lineup- I don't like them, they're shit wrapped in marketing hype-

if I never rode another Harley again, I could die happily- they just suck, they're heavy, long, slow, loud, vibrating shitbombs-

But if that's what you like- good on ya-

I'm entitled to my opinion- weather or not you agree is not my problem-

Most*

Happy?

Why sue ya? you're allowed to think whatever you like. I'll still be smiling enjoying mine.

Our sportster did a run in excess of 170mph, timed w/lights accurate to 1/1000th of a second. Your Vmax won't do that, and (it's been a few years now) IIRC, your R1 stock would top out somewhere around the same. I wouldn't want to ride that bike across the country any more than I'd want to take your R1 any farther than a tank of gas.

I rode my r1 900miles in just under 48hrs-

The first 100 miles were sick- the subsequent 800 were a test in pain management- but I knew that going in- it was still a great ride-

Top speed on gps on my r1 is 186 and change- you need over 200hp to break 200mph and I truly don't care about top speeds, it's how fast you come out of corners that gets me amped- leaving black arcs of molten Michelin as you twist on the power is almost better than sex...

Most*

Happy?

I rode my r1 900miles in just under 48hrs-

The first 100 miles were sick- the subsequent 800 were a test in pain management- but I knew that going in- it was still a great ride-

Top speed on gps on my r1 is 186 and change- you need over 200hp to break 200mph and I truly don't care about top speeds, it's how fast you come out of corners that gets me amped- leaving black arcs of molten Michelin as you twist on the power is almost better than sex...

I get that but, enjoy it in a more subdued fashion - torquey motors pulling hard outta corners without downshifting 3 gears is fun too. My older bones (turnin' 50 this year) reminded me after a knockoff last summer that they don't like crashing anymore...

We saw a best run naked of 174 w/about 165HP at the back tire - given our bike's frontal area and C/D, I calculated that I'd need another usable 65 HP to get over 200 running naked.

What part of "subdued" is a purpose-built drag bike ? Don't tell ME anyone can take a Sportster to that speed without a massive build making it ill-suited for daily use. ( stock Sportster 1200 makes less than 70 hp. - which is good for about 112 in the quarter-mile, but they really aren't much fun to ride above 80 or so as the handling goes seriously wonky)

And - bragging on your top speed on the internet ? Really ? reminds me of: " I'm so much cooler online "

then there are some who just ride their bike everyday everywhere the go less they need to tow something

• Like 1

What part of "subdued" is a purpose-built drag bike ? Don't tell ME anyone can take a Sportster to that speed without a massive build making it ill-suited for daily use. ( stock Sportster 1200 makes less than 70 hp. - which is good for about 112 in the quarter-mile, but they really aren't much fun to ride above 80 or so as the handling goes seriously wonky)

And - bragging on your top speed on the internet ? Really ? reminds me of: " I'm so much cooler online "

Sure I'm boasting - it took an awful lot of time, money and busted parts to get the bike to make that run (At Bonneville, BTW, not on the street). The point was a counter to the "all HDs are slow chrome barges, and their riders are wannabe rebels" meme that's often tossed around here, and a friendly jab at USA19 somethin' or another.

Getting a 'Busa to that speed? Pipes/airbox/rejet, and find someplace safe to do it. It took an awful lot to get our XL built to the point that it'd run like that, and yeah, I'm damn proud of what a buncha know-nothin' hacks like us pulled off.

As to the handling - my newest street XL (1998) is fine at the speeds I'm comfortable riding it, but, it's not stock either. My old Ironhead? That one is stock, slow, and uncomfortable above 75MPH. It still makes me smile when I ride it, and that's why I have it.

MOTEGI !!!!!

The MotoGP circus is in Japan this weekend. Lorenzo has won here past two contests - the track is noted for REALLY HARD Braking sections however, so his recent hand injury could become a factor (when you hit the brakes as race speeds your hands/wrists/arms get a workout ).

14 points separate the Yamaha teammates at the top of the standings, 3 races to go.

Tell ya what Bob, come up to Ventura, we'll do some sailing, maybe some flying, and then we'll hang out at the corner of North Ventura Ave and El Mineto Street... I am sure of few of these gentleman would love to hear your opinion about loud pipes and loud assholes… :D

50706085.jpg?w=340

But, I do agree... with the Yuppie Scum bonding with their machine cursing down road screaming it as loud as they can….. ASSHOLES

Tell ya what Bob, come up to Ventura, we'll do some sailing, maybe some flying, and then we'll hang out at the corner of North Ventura Ave and El Mineto Street... I am sure of few of these gentleman would love to hear your opinion about loud pipes and loud assholes… :D

50706085.jpg?w=340

But, I do agree... with the Yuppie Scum bonding with their machine cursing down road screaming it as loud as they can….. ASSHOLES

81 are not Bad people if they like you

They are just sensitive and have feelings

• Like 1

Peter Egan and I are in complete agreement on the subject of the best sports touring motorcycle.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/09/23/bmw-r90s-motorcycle-that-invented-sport-touring-by-peter-egan/

Frankly most riders have no clue what makes a great bike which can stretch out a great ride even if it a thousand tic tic tics off the close blocks to one's favorite mid morning latte. It boils down to the simple elements of how you feel when you are the pilot, where you are going on your bike and stepping back for a moment to admire the two wheels and motor when it just standing still. I know I am flying when at the speed limit and that am not taxed when i drift above 85. I get a nearly always get nod and a free pass from the cops instead of a warning or a ticket. I have owned the bike for nearly 30 years and received only one moving violation on it (running a yellow/red light in a unknown town). I further got nothing to prove with my ageless style and balanced by superb engineering and trusted craftmanship. I can and have done cross country rides in 5 days. I can still do an iron butt tomorrow on my original stock seat. This bike and I are partners in our shared journey. I won't pass her on once i am too old to ride her as it will still give me hope to my next adventure. To me and now Peter, our bikes are the closest to motorcycle perfection ever done. All other bikes you may own and ride are just practice for a BMW R90s or a more civil R100S - I have found you might just be fooling yourself to think you need to be riding something else on the two lane tarmac.

BMW_Kawasaki_Laverda_Klassiker_Big_Bikes

I was greatly relieved when an old decrepit R 90 S that sat in the back of my pal's shop for a decade FINALLY sold to a guy that has refurbished it to clean original spec - the owner finally priced it where it made sense (it needed a LOT of love) and the new owner had to promise not to chop it into some faddish abomination.

They are great bikes - but not necessarily for everyone. One thing for sure - they were premium-priced when new but still manage to be more than competent machines, which would belie the notion they were 'over-priced' now that 30+ years on they are so sought-after.

Egan is a favorite writer of mine and to be sure there are a LOT of riders out there who burn out on the sport because they just bought the wrong bike for whatever reason - peer pressure, trend, availability.

Its sad to me that so many "buy the Kool-aid" and get a cruiser and never really learn to ride well, or buy a Race replica and splat because they are SO FAR behind the machine - or just stop riding because either of the afore-mentioned types just aren't very practical for life's actual applications of transportation technology.

To a large majority of riders a motorcycle is just a Toy - not unlike a boat, to many - and just like those less-than-casual boaters, they never get good enough at it to really ever know the difference.

Well, Lorenzo's injured shoulder didn't stop him from setting a blistering pace atop the charts at first & second practice - but Sunday's race is expected to be wet. If that happens then Rossi's (currently) 8th place in the lap times become much less of a factor.

Sole American rider Nicky Hayden ( 2006 champion) announced his move to World Superbike aboard the Ten Kate Honda - so we'll see if anyone can touch Rea and Sykes on those Kawasakis next year.

Nicky will be missed - and it's been a very long time since there were NO Americans on the grid - how far we have fallen since the golden years when we OWNED the top of the standings - thanks to King Kenny, Fast Freddie, Lawson, Schwantz and Rainey.

Guest Dabnis

"To a large majority of riders a motorcycle is just a Toy - not unlike a boat, to many - and just like those less-than-casual boaters, they never get good enough at it to really ever know the difference."

In the 30 years I rode, going through 10, maybe more bikes, I did learn to appreciate the difference. My favorite of all times, a 400cc 2 stroke

Husqvarna Enduro bike. Pulled like a tractor, nice calm handling, rode it hard for about 8 years & never had the head off:

http://s641.photobucket.com/user/ptnt11085/media/Motorcycles/scan00012_zps4b11959b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Even snuck it out on the back country roads a few times, oh my. Lucky to still be alive.

Paul T

You know what they say about opinions and assholes and you have one of each or is that are one of each.

In his case, he just recycles everyone else's opinions and tries to convince himself that they're his own. Sorta the way an asshole can make a log of shit out of a perfectly delicious burger.

You know what they say about opinions and assholes and you have one of each or is that are one of each.

In his case, he just recycles everyone else's opinions and tries to convince himself that they're his own. Sorta the way an asshole can make a log of shit out of a perfectly delicious burger.

Says the one that has constantly copy and pasted here comments and opinions of others through out the internet in an attempt to make himself look intelligent.

Lorenzo just pipped Rossi for the pole - the heat is on though. De Angelis had a BIG off in FP4, is lucky to just be badly injured.

Watch it Live - http://www.motogp.com/en/live

• Like 1

Race turned out wet as predicted, with the Hondas of Pedrosa and Marquez bracketing the Yamaha factory bikes - the order was Dani, Valentino, Jorge and Marc - so a 4-point gain for the Doc - now they head to Phillip Island, then Sepang and the wrap up in Valencia. Pedrosa's first win in quite awhile - must be tough to be the expected champ for so long only to be eclipsed by the young gun. Jorge looks like he just pushed too hard to clear off and cooked his front tire when the track dried and fell into the clutches of the chasing Pedrosa and Rossi.

Not much time left this riding season, maybe a few days in Utah still to come. Here's a few from the summer riding.

The crew:

DSCF0321-L.jpg

DSCF1034-L.jpg

100_5908-L.jpg

DSCF1068-L.jpg

DSCF0310-L.jpg

OK so not a motorcycle but this is my wife's new ride.

IMG_3653-L.jpg

etyjteyh-L.jpg

Sunset beers on the trail

IMG_3657-L.jpg

This was the turn around, it was way dark when we got back to the truck:

IMG_3659-L.jpg