PuffyJman

Motorcycle Threads

Met up with a cousin I hadn't seen in a long time. Old photos came out including this one.

npiiunininjn-XL.jpg

Honda Trail 90, Yellow? My first bike in 1968. My Dad almost killed himself on it, jumping berms, got it wrong, said he had a headache for days,

put a big gash in his helmet. :(

Paul T

Red.

Check out the skinny jeans I was wearing!

Guest Dabnis

Met up with a cousin I hadn't seen in a long time. Old photos came out including this one.

npiiunininjn-XL.jpg

Honda Trail 90, Yellow? My first bike in 1968. My Dad almost killed himself on it, jumping berms, got it wrong, said he had a headache for days,

put a big gash in his helmet. :(

Paul T

Red.

Check out the skinny jeans I was wearing!

Oh yes, they did make some red ones, IIRC. How did you get them on, zippers in the back?

That little motor was bullet proof,, God, how I thrashed it, poor little thing. My Dad & I used to ride it double out

to the duck blind,, carrying our guns, ammo, & everything else. Got it out there one nasty muddy day, the tires packed up with adobe,

basically had to carry it the half mile back to the car. Sold it to a friend when moving up to a Kawasaki 120 trail bike. He had a fire,

burned it up. :(

Paul T

I don't park my Harley in a Garage during the Winter very often

But when I do I park it in the hanger while we're Flyin

12087253_896225010433503_169014424843883

• Like 1

They're gonna make you clean up all your oil drips Woodrow - shoulda put a pan under it.... ;-)

You are livin the life! :)

Ya gutta do what ya kan to pass the time when ya live in a place that Sucks the same All Year Around B)

12091363_896226807099990_768169481475990

12095222_896230063766331_681853687735825

Guest Dabnis

Health, motorcycles, airplanes, life appears to be good? :)

Paul T

Health, motorcycles, airplanes, life appears to be good? :)

Paul T

no airplanes, I like to take it low & just hang out to check it out sometimes

we roll about 115mph or loiter & mostly inland or up and down the coast

I DO NOT shoot any racing from the Chopper (either one)

12106762_896225847100086_452231441230862

Guest Dabnis

Ah, helicopters, sounds tricky. A friend, who is due here for dinner, flew helicopters from an aircraft carrier & later for a large

southern police force, for 10 years. Said he was getting concerned about his luck "running out".

Paul T

Phillip Island was a simply fantastic race - watch it if you can, the last lap is a " YOU have GOT to be KIDDING ME !!!" moment that lasts the whole circuit.

Rossi still 11 points up, 2 races left - when Marquez went through Rossi had to be praying he'd catch Lorenzo too ( he did ) but that darn Ducati snuck in there to finish third - hardly a good time for the Ducs to find pace !! -- so it was a Spaniard that helped Rossi against his Spanish teammate and a fellow Italian put the hurt on him !

That's racing. Next stop: Sepang

I wonder if it has the storage to hold both your riding gear and swimming gear.

I hope this idiot never drives again... For his own safety.

dabnis - I don't know a thing about it - but it does have a vague speed-way bike look to it, so...it's a little amusing.

A death-trap, sure - but amusing meanwhile....

Guest Dabnis

dabnis - I don't know a thing about it - but it does have a vague speed-way bike look to it, so...it's a little amusing.

I like the delicate little front brake disc. It probably took some time & effort to build, nice attention to detail. As I asked, "Why"?

I suppose the answer is because he wanted to. It does look like it is built on the "Light" side. :D

Are you old enough to remember "Erector sets"?

Paul T

Sure - I recall those tetanus-shot requiring 'toys' of my youth - what is more fun than a bunch of nuts, bolts and beams ? As for a 'spindly' front brake - that would be a significant upgrade for most Speedway trackers...go search for images of Speedway motorcycles and tell me how many front brakes you see.

Anyway... don't be a Mr. Crum, folks. That guy really should have had his forehead creased by the camera operator - I mean, if the car can mete out 'justice' for passing, surely a citizen can deliver justice for attempted murder.

9bea784550ba7d34ac105e9a41a0207f.jpg

That's cool! Completely useless, and I'm sure horrid to ride, but I like it.

I hope this idiot never drives again... For his own safety.

Rat bastard pulled a tony stewart. Used a large vehicle to try and scare someone and got it wrong and hurt someone instead. Thank jeebus those folks had helmets on...the pillion had massive road rash. Wear your gear folks.

9bea784550ba7d34ac105e9a41a0207f.jpg

That's cool! Completely useless, and I'm sure horrid to ride, but I like it.

Motorized bicycles are becoming common here.

http://www.gasbike.net/

Seems those nice disc brakes are getting common on higher end bikes now.

I have been kinda leaning in this direction lately, price seems fair!

https://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/5264590993.html

00H0H_26ltsWO8XbL_600x450.jpg

neat bike - I think that he's slightly optimistic in his pricing.

01010_1FnZ1wywVjK_600x450.jpg

Another in the area1 $2300.

Optimistic in pricing? I get that XS 650s generally go around $2k. Is that what you mean. If I want a bike and it is close to reasonable I feel it is worth it to move on it rather than wait or travel further.

I have been kinda leaning in this direction lately, price seems fair!

https://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/5264590993.html

00H0H_26ltsWO8XbL_600x450.jpg

neat bike - I think that he's slightly optimistic in his pricing.

01010_1FnZ1wywVjK_600x450.jpg

Another in the area1 $2300.

Optimistic in pricing? I get that XS 650s generally go around $2k. Is that what you mean. If I want a bike and it is close to reasonable I feel it is worth it to move on it rather than wait or travel further.

$2K for a 30 yr old XS 650? Prices are higher in your area, then. Around here, running, stock, would go for $750-$1K. I like the cafe/bobber bikes, and the XS 650 engine's a lot smoother more reliable and CHEAPER than the Triumph/BSA design it emulates. I think they'd be fun bikes, as would the big thumper SV650 Suzuki.

Frejole1.jpg

I've got one like that in my garage. I still chase kids around the yard on their bikes with it.

I have wondered (like on last New Years Eve when I rode the Harley home with Ice on everything)

If it's Fucking Kold and you need to go say 20 miles

Is it better to Haul Ass and get inside in 15 min or go slower and be out in the Kold for 1/2 hour

In My case to get from where we park the LimoBus to home it takes me 2 1/2 min so I'm Still Warm when I get home regardless

But if ya had to go say 50 -100 miles ......................................................... :o

12118971_1010140855716530_23257564478447

I think it depends on the bike- if I mom my vmax I freeze if I'm on my r1 I'm toasty so long as I stay behind the windscreen-

If it's really cold- go lightly as your tires will be hard and there's much less grip-

Guest Dabnis

In the winter, I used to put studs in the rear tire of my 400 Husky. Worked pretty well, but was a little hard on tree roots. I used to

worry about getting under the rear tire in a get off. Finally decided I had pressed my luck far enough & quit using the studded tire.

Studs are stronger than skin, oh, ouch!! :(

Paul T

I like the delicate little front brake disc. It probably took some time & effort to build, nice attention to detail. As I asked, "Why"?

I suppose the answer is because he wanted to. It does look like it is built on the "Light" side. :D

Paul T

That front brake is nothing special. Looks like standard bicycle componentry. Same with the rear brake. A lot of contemarary mountain bikes and some road bikes use disc brakes.

Harley's new Livewire in action.

https://youtu.be/QBUbrPxo6jw

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

That front brake is nothing special. Looks like standard bicycle componentry. Same with the rear brake. A lot of contemarary mountain bikes and some road bikes use disc brakes.

Hadn't thought of that. One of my riding partners, who was a really good, & fearless off road motorcycle rider, got

into mountain bikes. He sustained some serious injuries, said steep downhills were "Challenging".

Paul T

Paul T

Hadn't thought of that. One of my riding partners, who was a really good, & fearless off road motorcycle rider, got

into mountain bikes. He sustained some serious injuries, said steep downhills were "Challenging".

Paul T

Down-Hill / Fast is No Fun !!

If You fuck-Up you go Faster

if you Really Fuck-Up you stop instantly, Or there is the Endless Sliding Before +/or After any of the above

Steep Up Hill is Better as you Should slowly come to a Stop giving a moment to Grab hold of something Before ......................

Guest Dabnis

Paul T

Paul T

Down-Hill / Fast is No Fun !!

If You fuck-Up you go Faster

if you Really Fuck-Up you stop instantly, Or there is the Endless Sliding Before +/or After any of the above

Steep Up Hill is Better as you Should slowly come to a Stop giving a moment to Grab hold of something Before ......................

Sounds dangerous. Probably the hardest fall I ever took was when going down a very steep, very cobby downhill, compression release

on, on my 360 AJS, it kicked out of first gear, & took off like a rocket. Unfortunately, I tried to save it, very very bad decision, should

have just bailed.

It takes a long time to grow new skin. :(

Paul T

Well Sepang was a clusterfuck for Rossi. Practice went to plan and he qualified well, but in the press conferences he was being particularly accusatory toward Marc Marquez - the kid that won damn-near everything last year and clearly is a major player in the sport. Dani Pedrosa took pole, and Rossi put his Yamaha on the front row with MM between them and Lorenzo next back.

But the race...aw fuck.... Dani hole-shot and hid way out front ( pulled a Mladin ) and Lorenzo passed Rossi early on leaving Marquez and Rossi to dice for a couple laps with multiple passes and pass-backs...when - for God Knows what reason, Rossi seemed to try to stuff Marquez wide - right off the racing line and the bikes came together and Rossi got a leg out.(for reasons unclear) ...and Marquez went down in the gravel.

Rossi managed a decent finish - still losing some points but ahead..until... race direction called his move unsporting and dinged him 4 more points AND THAT means his next race ( Valencia, the final of the year ) will be started from the back row.

So... - well, that pretty much puts an end to the hope of him winning another championship - this year or maybe ever, and the sports # 1 figure has just been shown to be a bit of a twat - AND he blew his own chance at being champ a 10th time by just riding like a dumb kid ! You DON'T do something costly/risky/dumb at this point in the season - and he KNOWS this - you ride clean and fast and don't make mistakes and hope the OTHER guy fucks up - if you can't win from the front you sure don't penalize yourself into deep shit. No, at this point in the season you need to ride smart and that means you DON'T knock down Spain's golden boy going into Valencia ! More importantly you needed to ride your own race.

Ah, Valentino - we know you are a media animal, and nobody is as good as their press, but you REALLY put your foot in it this time and only a miracle or maybe a chunk of Skylab hitting Jorge on the grid can save your season now - welcome to a second place result on the year - you fuckin' earned it.

Well Sepang was a clusterfuck for Rossi. Practice went to plan and he qualified well, but in the press conferences he was being particularly accusatory toward Marc Marquez - the kid that won damn-near everything last year and clearly is a major player in the sport. Dani Pedrosa took pole, and Rossi put his Yamaha on the front row with MM between them and Lorenzo next back.

But the race...aw fuck.... Dani hole-shot and hid way out front ( pulled a Mladin ) and Lorenzo passed Rossi early on leaving Marquez and Rossi to dice for a couple laps with multiple passes and pass-backs...when - for God Knows what reason, Rossi seemed to try to stuff Marquez wide - right off the racing line and the bikes came together and Rossi got a leg out.(for reasons unclear) ...and Marquez went down in the gravel.

Rossi managed a decent finish - still losing some points but ahead..until... race direction called his move unsporting and dinged him 4 more points AND THAT means his next race ( Valencia, the final of the year ) will be started from the back row.

So... - well, that pretty much puts an end to the hope of him winning another championship - this year or maybe ever, and the sports # 1 figure has just been shown to be a bit of a twat - AND he blew his own chance at being champ a 10th time by just riding like a dumb kid ! You DON'T do something costly/risky/dumb at this point in the season - and he KNOWS this - you ride clean and fast and don't make mistakes and hope the OTHER guy fucks up - if you can't win from the front you sure don't penalize yourself into deep shit. No, at this point in the season you need to ride smart and that means you DON'T knock down Spain's golden boy going into Valencia ! More importantly you needed to ride your own race.

Ah, Valentino - we know you are a media animal, and nobody is as good as their press, but you REALLY put your foot in it this time and only a miracle or maybe a chunk of Skylab hitting Jorge on the grid can save your season now - welcome to a second place result on the year - you fuckin' earned it.

Well that's one take on it and you seem pretty sure that you are RIGHT..

Rossi arrived. In Sepang saying that MM tried to affect the WC in Philip island and had some evidence to prove it, and hoped that he would not do the same in this race.

Dani and Lorenzo checked out, and MM backed up to Rossi and proceeded to race him, why did he do that if he wanted to stay out of the WC? Rossi reacted, some would say quite rightly as here was someone fucking with him while he's trying to win a WC, and who is to say that MM couldn't have raced to the win on the last lap like he did on the island..

I not just a Rossi fan, I love to see the aliens fight it out, but I would have been happy to see VR win maybe his last WC, something which seems impossible now.

Rossi claims there is heli footage which shows the crash occurring before the 'kick'..

You seem to see it as black and white, not orange, yellow, blue with some red mist! and you also seem to think they can race at this level without emotion, dani is happy because he won, Lorenzo is happy dani won and that MM fucked up Rossi, MM doesn't care because he couldn't win the championship and he made sure Rossi couldn't either.

MotoGP had better hope that Rossi doesn't pull the plug on going to Valencia....

1) the assertion that MM was trolling Rossi at PI are kinda moot since he WON the damn race. If he had finished BETWEEN Rossi and Lorenzo, then there might be something to talk about.

2) Like it or not, if he couldn't stay in front of the guy, then that is his own problem - this is racing.

3) What you DON'T do, with 1 race left and a handful of points to spare is do anything really stupid - like get yourself a big ol' penalty.

I'm as much (or more) of a Rossi fan as anyone - I just think he really stepped in it this time. It would be AWESOME to see him charge through the grid in Valencia to finish with Lorenzo either right ahead or even behind - but this would seem unlikely.

The question is: Is MM interfering with Rossi to give his fellow countryman Lorenzo a crack at winning the world championship?

Rossi seems to think so.

Still very bad form on Rossi's part.

Holy Hell, not liking where this is going.

I have wondered (like on last New Years Eve when I rode the Harley home with Ice on everything)

If it's Fucking Kold and you need to go say 20 miles

Is it better to Haul Ass and get inside in 15 min or go slower and be out in the Kold for 1/2 hour

In My case to get from where we park the LimoBus to home it takes me 2 1/2 min so I'm Still Warm when I get home regardless

But if ya had to go say 50 -100 miles ......................................................... :o

12118971_1010140855716530_23257564478447

Interesting - once it hits 90, it gets hotter the faster you go!

Friction from moving through the air. I actually experienced it a couple times.

I watched phillip island and sepang. In sepang MM was fucking with rossi no doubt. He would go balls out to pass rossi and then lay back and work him. I watched the su9er slow mo many times and Mm tries to turn into rossi from behind like cavendish in a sprint and causes his own wreck. Rossi put his knee out in defense. The fim will reverse the 3 point fine if they have any objectivity. If they dont I am done watching for the year. Pity because it was shaping up to be the best top level motor racing of the year.

FIM won't budge - they have too much pride, and besides the last race is in Valencia (practice starts today) The penalty is ostensibly for purposefully running MM out to the track's edge and not "racing" like he was expected to. That MM dumped it just then put the nail in Rossi's season - the organizers are loathe to have riders purposefully 'crashing out' competitors, - "kick' not withstanding - it was the 'look' and the run well out past the racing line that probably got him penalized -- but I think the kid may actually have taken a bit of a dive there and done the dramatic 'soccer flop' like an NFL kicker being brushed and folding like a card table to draw the penalty.

Too bad really - if Lorenzo wins the season everyone will remember the penalty played a big role - and probably be more of a story than the actual winning of the Championship - while he has be quite fast and consistent, I don't think Lorenzo has actually led the points tally yet this season, so a win with Rossi starting from Portugal will be a bit tainted to fans everywhere.

It'd serve FIM right if ROSSI announced his retirement from MotoGP at the end of the weekend... - there goes 30% + of attendance next year.

FIM won't budge - they have too much pride, and besides the last race is in Valencia (practice starts today) The penalty is ostensibly for purposefully running MM out to the track's edge and not "racing" like he was expected to. That MM dumped it just then put the nail in Rossi's season - the organizers are loathe to have riders purposefully 'crashing out' competitors, - "kick' not withstanding - it was the 'look' and the run well out past the racing line that probably got him penalized -- but I think the kid may actually have taken a bit of a dive there and done the dramatic 'soccer flop' like an NFL kicker being brushed and folding like a card table to draw the penalty.

Too bad really - if Lorenzo wins the season everyone will remember the penalty played a big role - and probably be more of a story than the actual winning of the Championship - while he has be quite fast and consistent, I don't think Lorenzo has actually led the points tally yet this season, so a win with Rossi starting from Portugal will be a bit tainted to fans everywhere.

It'd serve FIM right if ROSSI announced his retirement from MotoGP at the end of the weekend... - there goes 30% + of attendance next year.

I dont know about the dive part. I think mm is young and got punked just like in the wet race a few back at silverstone where rossi led him really hot into a turn and mm washed out the front and went down.I like your take on the deal but hope the fim play fair. Between the white lines you get to go where you want to. If you are clear ahead then all the better. To another posters point though if rossi was quickest it wouldnt be happening. He hasnt been the last two races though in sepang lorenzo didnt burn up his tires and was just fast all the way. Mm messing with rossi we didnt get to see if rossi was saving his tires again as the gap was too big by the time rossi finally rid himself of Marquez.

Really dude you are all over the map..

Earlier this week Rossi was an idiot, should not have put himself In a position of getting pissed at MM for backing him up, and anyone who didn't run with your story was an idiot as well...

Now you are saying MM took a dive! Totally bogus stuff from you! It was off the racing line but still within the track, Rossi had showed his displeasure at the way MM was racing him for several laps prior but it's still Rossi who's at fault..and MM says it was the kick that caused the crash but the heli shot shows that he was crashing before VR's foot came off the pegs, which means Marquez lied!

If there is any justice in the Motogp Rossi will start from the position he qualifies, and I think the arbitration board will see that..

Rossi was dumb to make the comment, and to have tried to 'stuff' MM waaaay off the racing line. Silly mistakes are not how you win a season and he knows this - see Jeremy Burgess' comments.

As for MM's role in all this - hard to say he was fuckiin' with Rossi when he went to the front at Phillip Island - he COULD have finished between the Yamaha riders and THAT would have really put an end to happy hour. As for his crash - the telemetry from his bike shows a big ol' front brake input in there - so something hit that lever - whether it was Rossi or something else we might not ever really know.

Who is right ? hard to say - my only point was that should Lorenzo take the championship ( entirely likely ) then most race fans will very understandably wonder - ' what if ? '

I haven't watched MotoGP in forever. Since Rossi first started winning.

I miss the two strokes, the bat shit crazy power band, and the lack of electronics. Watching Garry McCoy skating through the corners was poetry.

If your brand of poetry included cartwheeling bikes shedding large parts into the air and the rider leaving the track in an ambulance. When he was on it was an amusing sight, but he was NEVER more of a consistent tail-slider than a bike dismantler.

Scary Gary was about right - that guy might have been a contender if he wasn't such a prolific crasher.

12187929_1162581383769698_16860770467468

Wet roads are scary enough for me. Can't imagine snow.

Dutch and German Biker Gangs Arrive in Kobani to Fight ISIS

German-biker-gang-against-ISIS-Facebook.

by Frances Martel22 Oct 20143,638

Last week, the Netherlands legalized the choice of some members of No Surrender, a biker gang, to travel to Syria and Iraq and fight alongside Kurdish forces against the Islamic State. They are no longer the only European biker gang to enter the fray, as German group Median Empire also announces its presence in Kobani, Syria.

An extensive report highlighting the war against the Islamic State from the perspective of European biker gangs in Spanish newspaper ABC notes that Median Empire, a group named after a Mesopotamian civilization, has chosen to showcase those who leave the comfort of Europe to protect minorities in Iraq and Syria from the jihadist scourge. Unlike No Surrender, a group comprised mostly of various European ethnicities, Median Empire boasts a largely Kurdish membership, so for these bikers, the fight is personal.

The group announced on Facebook that they had a presence in Kobani, currently the scene of an arduous battle for control between Kurdish forces and the Islamic State and have posted photos as proof.

German “Median Empire” bikers and Dutch “No Surrender” bikers join #Kurds against #ISIL http://t.co/SLmc6wxiY4 pic.twitter.com/eZCuvfhye2

– Jeffrey Guterman PhD (@JeffreyGuterman) October 17, 2014

“Our youths were in Kobani today,” the post reads, “and have told me that they have been shot at but nothing has happened to them. They are fine.” The post concludes, “While others prattle on, our boys are on the front lines, fighting the Islamic State.”

The fight for Kobani has become particularly important in the quest to stop the spread of the Islamic State. Kobani rests on the border between Syria and Turkey. If the Islamic State gains control of it, it would have almost unchallenged passage between Turkey and Syria. While initially appearing to be successfully conquering the town, Kurdish forces have managed to keep the jihadists at bay as brutal fighting continues in the town.

The ABC article quotes one of the Median Empire bikers currently voyaging to the front lines. Azad, as he requested to be called, explained that, since emigrating from Kurdish territories when he was nine years old, his life is comfortable. “We are in Europe now, everyone is fine, we have jobs, money, a warm place, and enough food,” he explained. “I see a bunch of people who have forgotten where they come from.”

Meanwhile, No Surrender, which does not boast a particularly Kurdish membership, announced this week that at least three more members have begun traveling to Syria from Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Breda. The No Surrender fighters are on their way to Mosul, Iraq–a city under the full control of the Islamic State.

Read More Stories About:

National Security, Twitter, Syria, ISIS

Clearly they lipsynced the whole thing, I give it a 2....

So. Marquez wins the championship for lorenzo. Kind of a dick move. If I were honda I w8uld fire him. Spend all that dough f8r your team leader to sandbag two races and then keep your other rider from winning as well. I said I woulnt watch but I did and saw rossi ride like it was win or crash. Amazing riding.

OK he's BADASS !!!!!

385915_2063636042693_401463854_n.jpg?oh=

Not under any illusion of winning the gp, Dakar, trail riding and global exploring... Didn't like the original 9t but this variation is quite interesting. A basic motorcycle to chase sunsets, a fire road or scuff up some boots. The balance and handling might prove better after the add ons.

Looking for some intelligent (?) input from you bike nerds:

There are a couple of mid-90's Honda ST1100's for sale in the area for (what seems to me) reasonable money, between $2100 & $3000. Anyone got one? Pro's & con's of the machine? Everything I've read so far has been pretty positive (reliable, fairly good mileage, plenty of power, etc.) with the only real negatives being they are "boring" (whatever that means). Most of the one's I've seen for sale anywhere seem to be relatively high mileage (the one's I'm considering have 62,000 & 83,000 miles respectively).

Thoughts? I'm not looking for a full-on sport bike or a full-on cruiser (had both in another life). Just want something I can spend time on while having a good time and use occasionally for commuting.

Disclaimer: I've been riding since I was 14. Haven't owned my own bike in about 5 years, and looking to get back out there...

TT

Not under any illusion of winning the gp, Dakar, trail riding and global exploring... Didn't like the original 9t but this variation is quite interesting. A basic motorcycle to chase sunsets, a fire road or scuff up some boots. The balance and handling might prove better after the add ons.

R90s 1/4 fairing and tapered,upsets might look nice.

There are a couple of mid-90's Honda ST1100's for sale in the area for (what seems to me) reasonable money, between $2100 & $3000. Anyone got one? Pro's & con's of the machine? Everything I've read so far has been pretty positive (reliable, fairly good mileage, plenty of power, etc.) with the only real negatives being they are "boring" (whatever that means). Most of the one's I've seen for sale anywhere seem to be relatively high mileage (the one's I'm considering have 62,000 & 83,000 miles respectively).

Thoughts? I'm not looking for a full-on sport bike or a full-on cruiser (had both in another life). Just want something I can spend time on while having a good time and use occasionally for commuting.

Disclaimer: I've been riding since I was 14. Haven't owned my own bike in about 5 years, and looking to get back out there...

TT

They are solid, well performing general purpose bikes. As long as you don't get more than about 90% of the way to "the edge" - you'll have fun doin' most anything you can on two wheels with 'em. Honda reliability, but, chasin' parts for any 20+ yr old metric bike can be a challenge. They're a bit tall, slightly top heavy, and if you crank hard on the throttle coming outta corners, it can take a few times to get used to the "shaft jack".

I averaged about 40MPG in normal riding on the one I owned, moved from a V65 Sabre to it, the Sabre was quicker, but, the ST was much more comfortable and easier to work on.

If you like UJMs (Universal Japanese Motorcycles), and don't need all the plastic, another very solid and comfortable bike that's available cheap is the Suzuki Bandit. The 1200 was built upon a de-tuned GSXR1100 engine, it pulled REAL hard without having to drop 4 gears coming out of the corner, was comfortable, and you could ride it 300 miles to the drag strip, run 11s, and drive it home w/no worries.

TT

They are solid, well performing general purpose bikes. As long as you don't get more than about 90% of the way to "the edge" - you'll have fun doin' most anything you can on two wheels with 'em. Honda reliability, but, chasin' parts for any 20+ yr old metric bike can be a challenge. They're a bit tall, slightly top heavy, and if you crank hard on the throttle coming outta corners, it can take a few times to get used to the "shaft jack".

I averaged about 40MPG in normal riding on the one I owned, moved from a V65 Sabre to it, the Sabre was quicker, but, the ST was much more comfortable and easier to work on.

If you like UJMs (Universal Japanese Motorcycles), and don't need all the plastic, another very solid and comfortable bike that's available cheap is the Suzuki Bandit. The 1200 was built upon a de-tuned GSXR1100 engine, it pulled REAL hard without having to drop 4 gears coming out of the corner, was comfortable, and you could ride it 300 miles to the drag strip, run 11s, and drive it home w/no worries.

Thanks for the input.

I'm familiar with the "shaft jack" as you put it, I had a 900 Custom for a lot of years, but this is a bigger bike w/ more torque available. I do appreciate the heads-up on it.

I've had a soft spot for the UJM forever it seems, and I don't mind the plastic. I like the way they look, and the comfort factor is way high for me. Thanks again for the insight, I think I'm just gonna have to pull the trigger on one of these...

TT

<SNIP>

Thanks for the input.

I'm familiar with the "shaft jack" as you put it, I had a 900 Custom for a lot of years, but this is a bigger bike w/ more torque available. I do appreciate the heads-up on it.

I've had a soft spot for the UJM forever it seems, and I don't mind the plastic. I like the way they look, and the comfort factor is way high for me. Thanks again for the insight, I think I'm just gonna have to pull the trigger on one of these...

TT

Pics or it never happened.... ;-)

ST 1100s are well-regarded mile-munching distance bikes - great if you do a fair bit of long-ish riding, not so slick if you like to just commute, pop down to the grocery store and run quick errands.

Kinda heavy & ponderous but well-balanced and with very good stability if you ride in bad weather. I looked at several myself when searching for a mainland touring mount and found a lot of high-mile bikes as well. Nearly bought a very clean ST 1300 ( the follow-up bike) - that linear-mounted V-four is a sweet motor. Wound up with a low-mile FJR1300 ( let's hear it for UJMs! ) and never felt it was a bad call - although I DO wish it had a bit more leg room.

If you aren't large or into touring, I might go a bit smaller - you can SAY you'll go easy on the throttle, but bigger bikes just cost more to run - heavier, or instance, they are just tougher on tires etc. But if you DO like to cross a state now & then, or take a passenger along frequently then it's not a bid move at all.

Motorcycle news : General news
You are looking at: Home : Motorcycle news : General news
Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car

Finally, a leading insurer’s data shows what we’ve all know for years – we are safer behind the wheel than non-motorcyclists

pinit.png
71081.jpg
Posted: 12 November 2013
by Steve Farrell

63230.jpg
How many ride bikes too? Evidence suggests we'd be safer if more did

MOTORCYCLISTS are 23% safer behind the wheel of a car than non-motorcyclists, according to a leading insurer.

Equity Red Star compared car drivers to car users who also have an insured motorcycle, and found the latter 23% less likely on average to make a claim on their car policy.

The firm also adjusted the figures to take into account the different typical ages of car drivers and motorcyclists, and still found the riders to be 21% better behind the wheel. The results showed motorcyclists were 20% less likely to make a bodily injury claim on their car policy.

The insurer examined 200 million policies between 2007 and 2012.

Rob Clark, Equity Red Star’s Head of Retail Motor, said: “A motorcyclist could, behind the wheel of a car, be said to be 23% better.”

Clark presented the data yesterday at a conference organised by the Motorcycle Industry Association to examine evidence that increasing the number of motorcyclists on the road could actually improve safety.

The conference was held in the offices of the Department for Transport in London.

https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/mcy/5322164977.html

Just found this. Am I foolish to pursue it?

35 year old Ducati with a bad gearbox and by the looks electrics someone has been playing games with... Don't walk, sprint in opposite direction...

Thanks Jim. I get the"project itch" now and agian. Maybe not that big a project though. Neighbor does have an H2 he 'LL part with.

The consummate UJM there Warbird - the bike that put the nail in the British motorcycle industry's coffin.

Let's see - for twice the money you could get a Norton Commando that was considerably slower, far less reliable and didn't have the power to run the lights properly, nevermind an electric start - Gee, wonder why so many folks bought Hondas ?

CBs and the yamaha 650 XS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650 . not only was the yammie a better motorcycle but it was essentially a direct riff on triumph, bsa and norton with the vertical twin. i had a 1977.

The consummate UJM there Warbird - the bike that put the nail in the British motorcycle industry's coffin.

Let's see - for twice the money you could get a Norton Commando that was considerably slower, far less reliable and didn't have the power to run the lights properly, nevermind an electric start - Gee, wonder why so many folks bought Hondas ?

The XS 650 a better bike than the CB 750 ?

Hardly.

Aside from the vast disparity of sales figures, the Honda was a more reliable mount and handled a good deal better - I've ridden both from that era - heck, I owned a 1972 Suzuki GT 380 when I was in High School - I LIVED those bikes ! The Yamaha had mediocre (at best) brakes, valve-timing-chain issues, gasket issues, and electrical issues - never mind a crappy riding position and no feel at all for the front end. The CB 750 spawned the CB 350, 400F, 500, 600, 650, and 900 models over the next 20 years. The XS platform...not so much -yeah they made a few variants but they never moved a quarter of the sales the Honda had.

Nope - Honda's knock-off of the MV Agusta race bikes was the clearly superior machine of the day - hands down, sorry.

I had an 850 Commando that I converted to a single carb (with a kit)

It then purred like a kitten

650 triumph was quicker but I liked the ride, unloaded it when the clutch was failing

Wish I had kept it, but then I should have kept many bikes I had

And not bought others I had - But that's the Only way to know

Bikes today are closer to being perfected

it was Good times riding the un-tamed beasts of my youth

Wouldn't trade those daz for anything !!

I didn't say the xs was better, i said that between the cb's and the xs's they killed the british bikes

Hardly.

Aside from the vast disparity of sales figures, the Honda was a more reliable mount and handled a good deal better - I've ridden both from that era - heck, I owned a 1972 Suzuki GT 380 when I was in High School - I LIVED those bikes ! The Yamaha had mediocre (at best) brakes, valve-timing-chain issues, gasket issues, and electrical issues - never mind a crappy riding position and no feel at all for the front end. The CB 750 spawned the CB 350, 400F, 500, 600, 650, and 900 models over the next 20 years. The XS platform...not so much -yeah they made a few variants but they never moved a quarter of the sales the Honda had.

Nope - Honda's knock-off of the MV Agusta race bikes was the clearly superior machine of the day - hands down, sorry.

I didn't say the xs was better, i said that between the cb's and the xs's they killed the british bikes

Hardly.

The XS and the CB are from opposite side of the spectrum. Hondas had evolved from the 305s, 350s and 450s. Honda was always primarily a four stroke company. The 750 was a logical extension of the company entering the "big" motorcycle market while leveraging the four stroke expertise and easy revving of many small cylinders. The XS was yamaha's first step into 4 stroke (mostly) technology and they stepped into the tried and true vertical twin configuration. The XS was a "safe" step for the company that had given us RDs,TZs, YZs and DTs to that point. The CB got freshend in about 1980 and again some years later. The XS was a seller largely unchanged for almost 2 decades.

"Not only was the XS better"

followed by

"I didn't say the XS was better"

Thanks for clearing that up !

Poor Yamaha - I really like their line-up now, but Good Lord did they make some serious dogs over the years - the Radian, Maxims, Viragos, Voyagers, and the Secas - just a suck-fest of disposable, forgettable Nipper bikes.

I really like my FJR1300 and the new FZ09 is a wonderful mount, but the 70s and 80s line-ups were rather regrettable in my opinion. Had a bud with a bad RD 400 habit - those things were fun but...well - not what the average American rider was really looking.

"Not only was the XS better"

followed by

"I didn't say the XS was better"

Thanks for clearing that up !

Poor Yamaha - I really like their line-up now, but Good Lord did they make some serious dogs over the years - the Radian, Maxims, Viragos, Voyagers, and the Secas - just a suck-fest of disposable, forgettable Nipper bikes.

I really like my FJR1300 and the new FZ09 is a wonderful mount, but the 70s and 80s line-ups were rather regrettable in my opinion. Had a bud with a bad RD 400 habit - those things were fun but...well - not what the average American rider was really looking.

In the UJM world of the 80s I think the Seca 650 was a little better than "regrettable " in some aspects. It was quick, except Honda delivered the Night Hawk 650 (quicker still ) with in a year. It was a decent handler and it had legs. It was the first bike I really "pushed" the front tire at speed in the hills, Angeles Crest and the Sierra s. 45k miles later I bought a CB1 and the 650 Seca seemed solid but truckish!