• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swimsailor

J/11s - Nothin'?

33 posts in this topic

J/111 made for shorthanded sailing. With a tiller and a aluminum mast.

And twin rudders - looks nice.

1.05 would be quite a nice rating for that boat - typical 111 is ~1.095

Aluminum mast might account for a little of the difference, but where does the rest come from?

To twin rudders get a huge credit under IRC?

from the pics it looks like a pole & symmetrical spi boat too

I think the mast is shorter, so less sail area.

Upper IRC limit for Transquadra is 1.051 so got to get under that.

Also, not really sure of how big the benefit is with twin rudders on a narrow boat? Without much stability you have to keep it flat downwind anyways, and upwind the boat balances beautiful with one rudder.

I still like the "turbo version". Our rating came in at 1.110 :-)

What did you turbo?

OD main (IRC have smaller roach), max luff jibs without the furler, 157 m2 "whomper". Lot's of small thing to make the boat go in Scandinavian summer conditions. Locally we're also using a 50% code 0 but that doesn't measure in IRC.

Not the ideal Fastnet setup, but who knows...

It will be interesting to see how it does pitted against the JPK 10.80 and Sunfast 36, also designed for Transquadra (next edition in 2017)

JPK 10.80 is cleaning the RORC this year.

What did you turbo?

OD main (IRC have smaller roach), max luff jibs without the furler, 157 m2 "whomper". Lot's of small thing to make the boat go in Scandinavian summer conditions. Locally we're also using a 50% code 0 but that doesn't measure in IRC.

Not the ideal Fastnet setup, but who knows...

Great and love it!!!!! You should maximize a boat for fun, not for rating!

The idea behind this boat is to take the challenge to the jeanneau and jpk and generally the marked for short handed bias boats. New custom MC34 Patton won the St malo race recently, another boat that the 11s will have to face up against, in my opinion the boat still lacks the beam to be competitive in reaching races and see days the wider boats are going upwind better all the time, J are entering into one of the most competitive IRC sub markets

The idea behind this boat is to take the challenge to the jeanneau and jpk and generally the marked for short handed bias boats. New custom MC34 Patton won the St malo race recently, another boat that the 11s will have to face up against, in my opinion the boat still lacks the beam to be competitive in reaching races and see days the wider boats are going upwind better all the time, J are entering into one of the most competitive IRC sub markets

I sailed against the Jeanneau Sunfasts and JPK 1010 on a J97 and the wide boats were slower upwind unless it was really blowing. Reaching is a different story, but upwind I would pick a narrow J in most conditions.

Many of these boats are built to do well under handicap. That does not necessarily mean they are fun to sail or sail well in absolute sense.

Not exactly my cup of tea but obviously the share of people liking this approach is large enough to be of interest for boat yards to target with rating optimized boats.

Many of these boats are built to do well under handicap. That does not necessarily mean they are fun to sail or sail well in absolute sense.

Not exactly my cup of tea but obviously the share of people liking this approach is large enough to be of interest for boat yards to target with rating optimized boats.

In this case it's interesting to see the Euro market for J Boats vs. the US market. Rating boats have never done well in the US for the brand but Europe is a different story.

The problem with "rating boats" is that they can do well as long as there is no better rule cheater on the market. After that they often lose interest because they don't sail well, offer insufficient accommodation to also allow for some cruising, are ugly etc etc.

from the pics it looks like a pole & symmetrical spi boat too

dual rudders, tiller, pole and track, alloy rig, winch placement, a couple other things. Was really well done, and should crush existing 40-ish footer shorthanders in the right conditions, which would be anything upwind, anything really light air, and anything deep downwind. Smart move from J Composites France, and 100% their idea. We got some shots of it during our live coverage of the J/70 Worlds day 1 and 2, if you sit through it!

Boat is in Hamble post the September show. Has an ugly retro fit prodder. Seems odd it wasn't specced with a sprit as it suggests it will be raced with a symmetric kite

The prodder is functional, owner wanted a bow roller incorporated with it so it has that

Should clean the bottom before a video shoot. Nice looking set-up, wonder if you could order a 111 carbon rig?

Should clean the bottom before a video shoot. Nice looking set-up, wonder if you could order a 111 carbon rig?

The whole idea is to get the rating down, so I don't see the point. Just order a J/111 and put a symmetric chute on her :-)

Seems they needed to do all sorts of crazy things to slow a nice J/111 down enough for a 1.05 rating. Maybe next time just drop an anchor.

This crazy rating world..,.

The boat feels nicely powered up with just 2/3 on board, I've sailed that boat a couple of times and it doesn't underpowered. With a crew of 7/8 it might feel sluggish in the light stuff was my only thought but otherwise it sails really well. The jib used on the boat is cut for a forestay foil and not the furler installed which is why it looks so high off the deck. My overall impression is that it's a very forgiving boat to sail and provides a good start to get into short handed sailing. We'll wait and see if it has the outright pace to be competitive in all wind strengths in all directions against the jpk's and 3600 but first impressions are promising.

What happened to Sleeper 11 in the RORC 600?

Not sure if I'm feeling a boat that big for shorthanded racing but I guess it underscores the big hole (for J-boats) between a 97 and the 111. Seems like a J100 with the class jib and sym kites would rate nicely but still be fully powered up. The tiller is a nice swap but the twin rudders are laughable. I found UK J105s with wheels to be hilarious.

J/100 is a far less seaworthy boat than the 11s. Freeboard and living spaces are the main differences.

Not sure if I'm feeling a boat that big for shorthanded racing but I guess it underscores the big hole (for J-boats) between a 97 and the 111. Seems like a J100 with the class jib and sym kites would rate nicely but still be fully powered up. The tiller is a nice swap but the twin rudders are laughable. I found UK J105s with wheels to be hilarious.

The rig is shorter than you'd think, large foretriangle but shorter at the top. The twin rudders look odd but they do make a difference, the boat behaves better on the pilot

The J11s Jataka is having a crack at the transquadra this year, so far putting in a respectable performance.

Still 18.5 out. Being paced by a 10.10, J105/9 and Arcona 370. All 2H.

From what I gather they had some small issues regarding some fishing gear

wtf? It's a race! Can't be very fast following your fish finder around.