Sign in to follow this  
Mark 53

J130

I'm looking at a 1994 J130. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm concerned there may be known (and perhaps major) issues and it is a 20+ year old boat. Any insights/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

To my knowledge there is only one possible issue with a J/130. There could be a keel sump issue. Several models (J/109, J/120, J/80, probably more) have had keel sump issues on a few boats. I'm not aware of a wide spread issue in any model that wasn't fixed by the factory under warranty (J/109?). I don't have any knowledge of the J/130 specifically being affected, but it has happened sporadically on similar models, so it worth a careful inspection. My sense is that a 20 year old hull would have either had a problem by now or won't have a problem ever.

I own a 1998 J/120 FWIW and after doing the research I bought the boat and have sailed 10k nm in the ocean.

Aside from that unlikely issue, great boat. Super fast for a cruiser, fast enough and rates well enough to race. Nice layout. Actually designed to sail and sail well, not sit at the dock as a condo. What is your intended usage?

Don't yet know the hull number. Use will be occasional weekday night races and short weekend causing to the Channel Islands off the SoCal coast. I've looked at 120s too...they seem to be more expensive which I've (perhaps naively) attributed to their being in an actual racing class and there are more of them. Thanks for the input. Its very helpful. Mark

Don't yet know the hull number. Use will be occasional weekday night races and short weekend causing to the Channel Islands off the SoCal coast. I've looked at 120s too...they seem to be more expensive which I've (perhaps naively) attributed to their being in an actual racing class and there are more of them. Thanks for the input. Its very helpful. Mark

family owned one .

We had one problem , moisture caught in the deck near the shrouds. Was fixed by jboats.

Boat is a blast , its friggin fast. We cruised on it as well.

hi - we had a 1994 J/130 for many years - fantastic yacht for both racing & cruising. Agree re due diligence required over keel sump issues and main bulkhead tabbing - ours had been strengthened a couple of years after build. All other caveats apply re a 20 year old yacht which was built down to a price - quality of finish in places is just "ok" and we installed proper backing plates for most deck fittings incl re-drill all holes in deck and epoxy soak to prevent long term balsa damage.

The one important thing if you are going offshore (or even coastal) is to seal off the aft lazarette from the rudder stock/transom bulkhead; easily done with a 1/2" sheet of marine ply cut to shape and bolted to the aft bulkhead. We had a lower rudder bearing come loose and although not unique to J/boats, if we'd ever lost our rudder with hull damage at the shaft she would have sunk very fast without that panel in place.

The J/130 has very elegant lines with a subtle spring to the sheerline and the extra 3 feet is very useful over the J/120 - not so cramped. We were often moored up near a J/120 and it was quite obvious which was the better resolved hull shape. IIRC the J/130 was designed first but quite expensive to build (just under 40 produced). J/boats saw a commercial opportunity for a one design 40 footer so squashed the J/130 lines down to that size and had good commercial/fleet racing success on both sides of the Atlantic.

We had the deep keel version which was still well powered over 20 kts.

Thanks to all. I guess the next step is a survey and some diligence in the sump/keel issue. I floated a verbal offer and was told to make it formal and it would be submitted. So maybe. Thanks again, and any further thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome. Mark

My 130 is a 1997, owned her since new. Great boat, easy to sail with two and a hoot in a breeze. Rudder bearings are a very common problem but really easily fixed with an update to Jefa bearings (likely already done on 1994). Keel sump was retrofit strengthened on hulls prior to #18 and then standard on 18-42. We've had no structural issues or backing plate issues, but we are hull 36 and fresh water so no corrosion.

The boat will sail very well in light air if you keep the boat light and for cruising with 2 couples you can bring anything you want, plenty of storage, water, battery capacity and fridge space.

The 130 is significantly more powerful than a 120 so they were also more $$$ that put the boat into a scarce clientele. The SA/D is 25 on the 130 and 20 on the 120. 130 rewards good mainsail handling with high speeds and great ride. She will punch through chop and has plenty of rudder to set the bow down gently. Going 17 knots with your family and a full water tanks down the face of a wave or blast reaching at 13 to get ahead of a storm and taking a hot shower when anchor, that's what a 130 is all about. I'm keeping mine.

Mark, I just sent you a PM about another J/130 in SoCal.

Responding to an old post. Would that have been "Scirocco"? If so, it's been on the market a long time. Is that price right, you think?

One won Southern Straits and Bob Seager owned one, eh?

Won this year? That was a J/120. Maybe you meant a previous year?

Thanx, Jimsair. That's amazing! All the photos on Yachtworld must be ten years old 'cuz the boat looked so pristine I keep asking about her. Price is really up there then. I've noticed brokers seem to have no shame about posting old photos completely misrepresenting the actual condition of their offerings. You try that in the real estate business here in SoCal you get blackballed with a bad rep that lasts for years.

Don't know what Jimsair is talking about. I am the co-owner (wife) of the J/130 Sirocco. No one that I recall named Jim has looked at Sirocco. The boat is pristine. It most definitely has not been "rode hard". My husband and I have owned her for 8 years and are the second owners. Hubby is over 70 now and the boat is too much for us to handle. Both the previous owner and us raced her some some but mostly cruised. Sirocco is meticulously maintained--just ask anyone in the Oceanside area. I took those listing photos myself and believe me they are less than a year old.

Jimsair, please don't bash boats that you know nothing about.

Kidardly, PM me if you want more information.

Mark, I just sent you a PM about another J/130 in SoCal.

Responding to an old post. Would that have been "Scirocco"? If so, it's been on the market a long time. Is that price right, you think?

I looked at Scirocco about a year ago. It's been rode hard. The boat was a mess when I looked at it. You would think a seller and broker would put a little effort into tidying up before showing it to buyers. Other than being a mess, it just looked well used and not cared for.

Jimsair,

Interesting that Sirocco was not listed with a broker a year ago. If you are the broker that just lost the listing and are posing as someone who looked at the boat....shame on you!

I was looking at the Oceanside J130 before I joined a group and bought the SC50. It's a really nice boat, and seems owned by nice folks. If you want a 130, do your due diligence, but this one seemed worth a look.

To all, I am a buyer not a broker. Well, I'm a prospective buyer, with a budget, looking for something fast that my wife and I can feel comfortable spending a week or two at Catalina. Unfortunately it's that old conundrum: Speed, Comfort , Price. Pick any two. Sweetsailor, I keep looking at your boat because it hits the first two beautifully but I haven't talked myself up to that price point yet.

Good luck with it.

I guess the best way to see her is

www.yachtworld.com

Filter with "Beauty" and "J130".

She's there.

I guess the best way to see her is

www.yachtworld.com

Filter with "Beauty" and "J130".

She's there.

I'm biased but there is a gorgeous J130 just listed in Santa Barbara, Calif. Arr4ws bought her new and loved her for about 6 years as (Jet Lag). We were blessed to have her for about 11 years (as Braveheart), and the current owner for about 6 (as Beauty). What we had in common is each of us cared deeply about taking care of her. I was driving through last weekend and saw the listing so we stopped to see her. She has a new paint job, new sails and is still immaculate. Take a look at the listing photos and you'll get a feeling for her (Google "J130 and Beauty"). Great boat and meticulously maintained.

If the slip can be flogged separately for about $85 grand I could afford it. :D Seriously, though, it's wonderful to see so much care taken.

A friend and I are building a 43' Dick Newick designed trimaran, and would like to build a spinnaker pole similar to the j105 or similar,, and I have a few questions on the construction.

1- the pole cannon ? is completely water tight inside the cabin, correct?...

2- How is the pole sealed off and how are the control lines deployed?.

3- Photos of the interior construction and pole would really help us, we are building the boat in Colorado and do not have boats of this size to look at locally

Thanks

On 6/4/2016 at 11:34 AM, BraveheartJ130 said:

I'm biased but there is a gorgeous J130 just listed in Santa Barbara, Calif. Arr4ws bought her new and loved her for about 6 years as (Jet Lag). We were blessed to have her for about 11 years (as Braveheart), and the current owner for about 6 (as Beauty). What we had in common is each of us cared deeply about taking care of her. I was driving through last weekend and saw the listing so we stopped to see her. She has a new paint job, new sails and is still immaculate. Take a look at the listing photos and you'll get a feeling for her (Google "J130 and Beauty"). Great boat and meticulously maintained.

The commodore and I are in the next year or so looking to upgrade.  This boat is right up our alley. Cruiser, but able to do Oregon Offshore, RTC, Swiftsure, Vic Maui.   Why has this boat been for sale for so long.  Seems like its been on yachtworld for a while.  

On 4/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, J28 said:

If I were younger and in the market for a ~ 40’er, the 130 in the ad linked below would be near the top of my list.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/J-Boats-J-130-3114177/Channel-Islands-Harbor/CA/United-States?refSource=browse listing#.WspdGyQpCf0

thats the one i am asking about.  it seems like a great boat, but i swear it has been for sale for two years.  Why?  is that the J130 that had some delamination and water in the hull?

The J130 for sale in Channel Islands, Beauty, is the former Braveheart from Dana Point.  We sailed on her a couple of times and she was meticulously maintained.  We enjoyed Braveheart so much we purchased our own J130, Sirocco.    Both Beauty (formerly Braveheart) and Sirocco are unique J130s in that they have beautiful cherry wood interiors and a full aft cabin.  Most J130s have the Herreshoff style and more racing oriented interior.   We had to go all the way to Maine to find Sirocco but was well worth it.  She is beautiful on the water with a black hull that shows off her sheer like Beauty.   We both cruise (two cruises to Mexico and back) and do local racing around San Diego/Oceanside/Dana Point.  We had Sirocco for sale a couple of years ago when we thought we were getting a little old to handle the powerful sailplan but came to our senses (thank God!) and upgraded to power winches and a new cruising headsail.  We cruised Sirocco back down to Mexico last fall and are now enjoying the great sailing conditions on Banderas Bay.  We've even gotten a little racing in--took second in the Banderas Bay Regatta last month with a totally pickup crew.  It would be hard to find a better boat that can do it all-- offshore racing, buoy racing, and cruising--and has beautiful lines to boot! 

Below is a shot of me and my all female crew several years ago.  With the sprit setup and a spinnaker sock, my hubby and I can handle a chute with just the two of us. As aar4Ws said above, "WHAT AN AWESOME BOAT"! 

5ad4e1d5cb5c9_Siroccoupwind.thumb.JPG.5136adb7676e67901163e3f16c11912e.JPG  5ad4e650b32a9_CharityRegattaBigYellow3.thumb.jpg.3ed1497c41426b5388bfd0336a02331a.jpg