• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Speng

New cruising multis

Fell down this rabbit hole recently. I must say the new Bavaria Open 40 looks pretty nice for a "standard" condomaran. The interior is pretty nice I like the euro styling. Not sure if I'm convinced about the helm location but I'm not convinced about any helm location on a cat.

Next is the TS42 from the same designer as the latest Outremers and built by Marsaudon. Has been described as a Classe 40 catamaran. Pretty stripped-out 21st century inside and the interior layout has some interesting features but quick and not so pricey... Nice combo. Kinda what the Outremers once were before they went uprange $$ wise

http://interestingsailboats.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-pogo-cat-ts-42.html

Maybe it's time to take a charter...

I was blown away by how slow the TS50's are. Painful to watch actually. I don't know about the TS42's though.

That's only relative.

If you're a guest on a Gunboat the Neel trimaran looks slow.

Wow, that's white. Is the table from Costco?

I did think that table was way out of place.

Yes the boat is stripped out hence the Classe 40 comparison but at the same time it's quite cheap compared to most other more cushy similar sized boats. I reckon even with all the carbon options you could actually buy an OD fleet of these things for the price of a GB 60whatever.

I really like the idea of boat interiors that don't look like a Victorian gentleman's club's smoking room. This one may look a bit more Ikea than Manhattan loft but that's OK, we aren't all 1% of 1%ers

Nice clean cats indeed. If you want to add better helm location (wheel cants inside or outside), dagger boards (/rudders combo), rotating masts and not pay more for all that the Harryproa cruiser 60 slotted for build in Peru sure is attractive.

post-61675-0-55275700-1438112320_thumb.png

agree speng

that boat is really really really very affordable .. built by Bavaria I think ...I hope they sell a bunch .... might be in the market a couple years down the road if my tri gets too sporty ...lol

Nothing wrong with Ikea .... I like functional rather than manhattan loft :-)

Sorry lucdec .. there is nothing attractive on any Proa whatsoever, but different strokes for different folks....

thor

I admire proas from an engineering standpoint, but they are such ugly bloody things.

Proas are one of the rare examples of a unique engineering solution that clashes with the innate expectation of our paleolithic mind that moving things have a head and a tail. It is much like the sci-fi movies adding sound to spaceships zipping through empty space. It makes no physical sense but only nerds would watch movies without that "special effect". It also goes to show that homo sapiens did not evolve while sailing and is genetically a newbie to that form of locomotion. Another hundred thousand of years of Darwinian selection and everybody will sail proas. Those with a HP60 have a head start ;-)

There is an instinctual human bias towards symmetry being beautiful, so an assymetric boat will always look funny unless it becomes common for other reasons. A proa is a good answer to a specific question, light fast simple offshore, but it is not for most sailors.

Bavaria is building the Nautitech 40. The TS42 is built by Marsaudon in Lorient.

agree speng

that boat is really really really very affordable .. built by Bavaria I think ...I hope they sell a bunch .... might be in the market a couple years down the road if my tri gets too sporty ...lol

Sorry lucdec .. there is nothing attractive on any Proa whatsoever, but different strokes for different folks....

thor

Bavaria is building the Nautitech 40. The TS42 is built by Marsaudon in Lorient.

agree speng

thor

Yeah the Nautitech is more Manhattan loft while the TS42 is more Ikea. I like both interior-wise.

I disagree with the proa haters - the new Harryproa is really nice looking and there's some interesting construction features. It's good that Rob got a design professional to work on the layout and aesthetics. I reckon it'll turn out to be cheap for it's size. OTOH the harryproas have all had a disadvantage that while being generally light for their length the amount of accommodation for the total space (length and beam) they take up is poor although with dedicated sleeping for 6 the new 60 is better in this regard. It'll be cool to see the boat. I reckon something new in the 40 foot range might be very interesting.

On the lookout for soemthing in the sub 35 size. Dazcat has his 10m cruiser but that's just the 10R with a bridgedeck cabin and looks a bit weird IMO.

Not a fan of that helm location on the nautitech. Totally exposed with no dodger or bimini, hard or otherwise. Just because I like actually helming my yacht, doesn't mean that I should be endlessly subjected to the Caribbean sun and UV rays :P

THe T42 looks intriguing but that front "beam" bridge deck looks like a slap-factory in big seas. Whats the headroom in the salon?

Thunder,

Good point about the exposure at the helm, especially in the Caribbean.

I designed a 50' fast cruising/dive expedition cat for a client from Colorado. It had a central raised 'chariot' helm which was great for visibility and centralized sail handling but you were left sitting out getting baked and/or wet. I had designed a nice little folding tubing, canvas and Isinglass dodge that was much like the hood on a baby pram. It sat in a track on the deck around all the winches and stoppers and could be rotated to weather for nice protection from the elements. The owner thought it was the sillyest thing he ever saw and wouldn't let me have it built. He being a cowboy rancher said, "That's what hats are for, I spend half my working day on a horse with nothing more that a hat on my head!"

I really like the idea of boat interiors that don't look like a Victorian gentleman's club's smoking room. This one may look a bit more Ikea than Manhattan loft but that's OK, we aren't all 1% of 1%ers

Agreed. IMO - I'd prefer there not be much or any wood anywhere on my boat. All composite or corrosion resistant metal. Take a cue from a modern airstream: AIRMKT-Serenity-Oyster-531899-B2F-Retouc

Agreed. IMO - I'd prefer there not be much or any wood anywhere on my boat. All composite or corrosion resistant metal. Take a cue from a modern airstream:

I could totally live with that interior on any multi I buy. I've had to deal with teak, mahogany & varnish on both interior and exterior surfaces on the family Tofinou 12. Not for me.

I was blown away by how slow the TS50's are. Painful to watch actually. I don't know about the TS42's though.

Has anyone seen/sailed the TS 42?

I am seriously in the market for something in the 40' area. I do want a good performer and the TS 42 numbers seem to indicate it would perform better than an Open 40. I also have reservations about the 'open' aspect of the boat for use on the lower Chesapeake.

Any thoughts on it?

For me I would need to see the cabins a bit. I'm not sure what you mean by 'open'. Is it the layout of the bridgedeck saloon? It should be fast in light air but i would go for the daggerboards as the shoal friendly option for the Bay. TBH, for knocking about the Chesapeake a full offshore capable boat is too much... In a 35 footer you can still easily sleep 4-6 and keep it reasonably light. But the TS42 should mix performance and cruisability fairly well. I doubt and Open 40 could come close as a cruiser.

Not at all in the same price range (A$1mm) but a very interesting concept based on her big sister TAG 60, the TAG 50 looks super hot.

post-103921-0-49460900-1440340411_thumb.jpgpost-103921-0-49460900-1440340411_thumb.jpg

"I couldn't get either of your pics to load so went to their web site - what a beast!"

I thought some of you might like it :P

"I couldn't get either of your pics to load so went to their web site - what a beast!"

I thought some of you might like it :P

I didn't say I like it. The interior headroom on the bridge deck is seven feet (2.15 meters); with one meter of clearance underneath (claimed) and another ~1.5 meter up to the boom, the mainsail doesn't start until ~4.5 meters (~15 feet) off the water! They don't mention displacement. A beast. Doesn't look right to my eye at all.

Looks like the got the 3d modellers and animators that did Dire Straits "I Want My MTV" music video. Real cutting edge stuff!

Yeah Proa, something is not quite right about the scale of that beast as you so well put it. Unless the crew are all Lilliutians! Here is a 50' cat that I designed about 5 years ago, BEFORE the reverse bow became all the rage.

o8dzcEZ.jpg

I just don't think that you could squeeze that much cat into 50' LOA that the Young boat does. The renders on the website look much better though.

Not at all in the same price range (A$1mm) but a very interesting concept based on her big sister TAG 60, the TAG 50 looks super hot.

attachicon.gifTAG50-11.jpgattachicon.gifTAG50-11.jpg

There are a number of interesting ideas in the layout, specifically the owner's cabin layout would make for a really nice living area when alone but I am not sure how it would work if you stared to keep the door shut. The cabin looks pretty tall and the freeboard pretty high but the cabin is also quite narrow so that skews the perception. I don't mind the overall look too much

There are also a number of things that I am not convinced by:

- That massive window up front is really cool but I would want to know what it has been designed to handle in terms of loads and the details of how it latches/seals!

- The description shows that the generator, watermaker and workshop/storage areas are in the bows which doesn't sound like the best place to put these. Especially considering they mention "large engine rooms" and "concentrating the weight in the center to improve performance/seakeeping"

- It looks like you would have very poor visibility from the nav station (especially with the bedroom door closed!)

- The structural loads on the "bimini" must be interesting when you let the traveler down with the mainsheet tight, that can't be light to build!

- It also looks like you would have a huge blind spot from the helm as you can't see above the cabin and I don't think you would see through much of it.

Most of the Greg Young cats have really lousy all around visibility from a helm station. Collectively, both helms allow great visibility but only of a limited portion of the total fwd visibility. No singlehanding on these boats...

The TS 42 is quite " big" when you see one - the hulls are very "modern" big boxy and hard lines. Not sure what the adverse comments on Easy Tiger were about in previous post ~16 - her owners like her and she goes pretty quick and having been on her I think Multimarine did a pretty good job on the conversion. But then I have both seen her and raced against her?

It is really good that someone like Bavaria is entering the market as there is a huge shortage of boats in this category. Hopefully see one at La Rochele

I have fairly recently purchased a 40' cat. These are considerations I had when searching. YMMV.

Latter-designed boats almost across the board have very open cockpits. Get pooped, life sucks.

Latter designs almost all have engine access via a hatch aft. If shit is gonna break, it'll do so in filthy weather. You wanna drop thru a hatch in bad weather?

Latter designs run halyards and lines under inaccessible panels or thru coamings. When this shit breaks, and it will, oh boy, that'll be a barrel of monkeys

Latter designs have these huge-assed flat/vertical forward salon windows. How'd that work out for the RAINMAKER, for instance?

Forward cockpit, to me, = a lot of weight in a bad place if you take a bad one

post-60990-0-25736800-1440788193_thumb.jpg

Engine access under beds - small windows.... Bare Necessities on right has clocked 23 knots Suenos on left has done 2 round britain and ireland races and we were both enjoying Fowey in Cornwall

Latter designs run halyards and lines under inaccessible panels or thru coamings. When this shit breaks, and it will, oh boy, that'll be a barrel of monkeys

Seriously wondering how the lines are run to the winches on the TAG 50.

The TS 42 is quite " big" when you see one - the hulls are very "modern" big boxy and hard lines. Not sure what the adverse comments on Easy Tiger were about in previous post ~16 - her owners like her and she goes pretty quick and having been on her I think Multimarine did a pretty good job on the conversion. But then I have both seen her and raced against her?

It is really good that someone like Bavaria is entering the market as there is a huge shortage of boats in this category. Hopefully see one at La Rochele

Yeah that's why I think that there's potential for smaller boats than even the typical 11m/37footer for the private owner/coastal sailor. Who needs Category A for puttering across the Channel or Chesapeake Bay...

Generally I like Daz's boat boats but the pics on the webpage make Easy Tiger look like too much coachroof for too little hull which I suppose you might expect given the original was a open bridgedeck racing cat or maybe the pics are bad.

Bring back pictures from la Rochelle...

I have fairly recently purchased a 40' cat. These are considerations I had when searching. YMMV.

Latter-designed boats almost across the board have very open cockpits. Get pooped, life sucks.

Yeah especially if your hull hatches aren't properly water tight. I have been saying since the SIG45 that multi designers are having a laugh with water ingress protection. Rainmaker was the proof of that.

Latter designs almost all have engine access via a hatch aft. If shit is gonna break, it'll do so in filthy weather. You wanna drop thru a hatch in bad weather?

True dat... but it does allow for excellent sound deadening but I'd much rather have a hatch from inside the boat.

That is some stupid $#!+ from the mono world not to mention those little fiddly details are super-expensive to make. I've seen a few neat and simple setups for line tunnels etc but there are always compromises

Latter designs have these huge-assed flat/vertical forward salon windows. How'd that work out for the RAINMAKER, for instance?

Forward cockpit, to me, = a lot of weight in a bad place if you take a bad one

Probably not as bad as taking one up the chuff. I haven't sailed in a GB or Atlantic but all the experienced say it's not an issue. Of course there are fwd cockpits and there are super big "forward lounging area".

Speng,

The basic problem with trying to make any bridgedeck catamaran under about 38' is that there is a major compromise to be had between the coachroof height and the bridgedeck height.Push the bridgedeck down to lower the coach roof you get wave slap....push the coachroof up to get clearance and it gets ugly.

The only real answer is to have dwarf owners and then you can have it all in a 33' boat.

No What I meant was that Easy Tiger's hulls were smaller than they otherwise would've been if they'd been designed as a cruiser in the first place. To me it wasn't that the coach roof looked too big it was that the hull looked too small. Given that Daz has designed good looking 10m cruisers before I know he has the capability to get the aesthetics right.

Did Easy Tiger's owner change their mind about wanting a race boat? That had the been the only 10R sold right? Given English weather I'd rather a bridgedeck to retire to as well. You Poms are more hardy than the typical Usanian - I always thought the guys who did the Royal Southampton's winter series on some fast wet boats were a bit mental.

On the topic of cruising multi's and new one's in particular, the Bali 4.0 will debut next week at the Cannes Yacht Festival. She's a right chubster but ofr someone looking for a condomaran that performs a bit better than Logoon's, Leopards, etc in the same size range she could be interesting.post-103921-0-94972200-1441388272_thumb.jpg

post-103921-0-94972200-1441388272_thumb.jpg

Speng "pictures from La Rochele -- is that tits ... aah "shucks" that would be St Tropez and Wombat, I always knew there was reason we got DQ - "proud to be a near dwarf"!!

ET was always different to the orginal 10m - Wombat can fill in the details I am sure -- her MOCRA TCF is splendidly quick and she has some really nice features.

If you ever get this side of the pond you would be welcome to come and have a sail on our boat as long as you are buying the beer..

On the topic of cruising multi's and new one's in particular, the Bali 4.0 will debut next week at the Cannes Yacht Festival. She's a right chubster but ofr someone looking for a condomaran that performs a bit better than Logoon's, Leopards, etc in the same size range she could be interesting.attachicon.gifBali 40.jpg

attachicon.gifBali 40.jpg

Wow, the height of that boom is criminal, has it got a full standing headroom flybridge?

On the topic of cruising multi's and new one's in particular, the Bali 4.0 will debut next week at the Cannes Yacht Festival. She's a right chubster but ofr someone looking for a condomaran that performs a bit better than Logoon's, Leopards, etc in the same size range she could be interesting.attachicon.gifBali 40.jpg

attachicon.gifBali 40.jpg

I'm not sure I'd associate performance with the Bali 4.0---even relative to a Lagoon or Leopard. Why would you assume this?

Well, okay, I see where you're coming from. I looked at the Bali vs a Lagoon 400. The 400 is a ton or so heavier but when you're talking 19,000# vs 22,000 and a few square feet of sail area difference, they're still heavy cruisers with mini-keels and the numbers are close enough that depending on how much crap one puts on their boat, there is precious little REAL difference. Waterlines and windage are similar also--much too close to make a noticeable difference other than bragging rights.

I had a 41' cat with daggerboards and that was 'technically' lighter, probably went to weather better and still wasn't what I'd call a performance boat. Hey, it was as fast as and more comfortable than a monohull (cruising) of similar loa but it wasn't going to make ya lose your balance with the speed and acceleration, if ya know what I mean.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether the Mainecat 38, which has similar sail area as the above mentioned boats but less than half the displacement, can make its chops as a 'performance' cruiser. By the numbers, it should be notably faster....

From photo's the ludicrous boom height is to fit a double sun baking bed on the cockpit roof, which it needs since it has precious little hull in front of the house and no tramps...

Bleah !

I find it hard to imagine that being faster than a Leopard 40...

178_0_5475cd2d8a8a6_139c43322e439e60225e

Well, okay, I see where you're coming from. I looked at the Bali vs a Lagoon 400. The 400 is a ton or so heavier but when you're talking 19,000# vs 22,000 and a few square feet of sail area difference, they're still heavy cruisers with mini-keels and the numbers are close enough that depending on how much crap one puts on their boat, there is precious little REAL difference. Waterlines and windage are similar also--much too close to make a noticeable difference other than bragging rights.

I had a 41' cat with daggerboards and that was 'technically' lighter, probably went to weather better and still wasn't what I'd call a performance boat. Hey, it was as fast as and more comfortable than a monohull (cruising) of similar loa but it wasn't going to make ya lose your balance with the speed and acceleration, if ya know what I mean.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether the Mainecat 38, which has similar sail area as the above mentioned boats but less than half the displacement, can make its chops as a 'performance' cruiser. By the numbers, it should be notably faster....

http://www.mecat.com/boats/maine-cat-38

The Main Cat 38 is an interesting boat. Similar to a Shuttleworth 35 (now Shuttleworth 37), but with a covered bridge deck.

Lightship: 8,100 lbs. - DWL Displacement: 12,400 lbs.

High Fineness ratio – length to beam ratio close to 12:1 when kept light.

High speeds – Under sail or power our goal is averaging 10 knots

The nicely radiused chine and “shoulders” we designed provides almost 6 feet at the maximum beam of each hull, yet the waterline maximum beam is only 38” when she is fully loaded to 12,400 lbs. Our chine is over 12 inches above the DWL and will provide very little resistance or interference for our racer owners and huge additional buoyancy for our loaded-up live aboard cruisers in large seas.

Maine Cat is pleased to announce that the new exciting Maine Cat 38 will be entering our bareboat charter fleet this winter.

http://www.mecat.com/maine-catamaran-news/85

MCC38SCOutboardProfile_06_12_15001_15061MCC38SCBowQuarterIso_06_12_15001_150617_

Really people?

Couple of new big ones from my good friend Roger Hill: (www.powercatsnz.com)

CF20mCFoiler.jpgfoiler.jpg

Both full carbon, with rotating masts and C foils. First one (20m) due out of the factory in the next couple of months.

Really people?

Couple of new big ones from my good friend Roger Hill: (www.powercatsnz.com)

CF20mCFoiler.jpgfoiler.jpg

Both full carbon, with rotating masts and C foils. First one (20m) due out of the factory in the next couple of months.

Well, yes. There's always a 7+ figure option....

On the lookout for soemthing in the sub 35 size. Dazcat has his 10m cruiser but that's just the 10R with a bridgedeck cabin and looks a bit weird IMO.

These Dazcat boats look pretty good to me:

Dazcat 1195 Cruiser Racer, US$ 478,921 - 12 m, 39', 4250 kgs Dry Load

http://www.dazcat.com/d1195.html

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2015/Dazcat-1195-Cruiser-Racer-2315083/Millbrook/United-Kingdom

3280784_0_20110224075909_2_0.jpg

Dazcat 1495, US$ 742,099 - 15 m (49 feet), 6500 kgs Dry, 8500 kg (18,740 lbs.) "wet", 22kns

http://www.dazcat.com/d1495.html

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2016/Dazcat-1495-catamaran-2315084/Millbrook/United-Kingdom

The D1495 has been designed as a high performance cruising catamaran capable of 22kns - no slouch, and capable of holding her own in any racing fleet and making fast ocean crossings for blue water global cruising. Nominated for European Yacht of the Year 2016

3280787_20140707080932354_1_XLARGE.jpg

proa sailor,

Thought you might like a picture instead of a rendering for the Dazcat 1495.

11822308_1172698446080565_69568629303649

Yeah, I think I saw this in the other thread? (edit: nope, new pic, thanks!) Looking good!! Nice shapes. Best boat speed vs. wind speed in those conditions? (P.P.S. Or full polars would be cool?)

Unfortunately there are no polars for the boat.However on the Fastnet the other week we had a top speed of 22.7 kts in about 25kts of breeze( 1 reef in the main A2, at about 120TWA). Averaged about 17kts for the 170 miles back from the rock to the scillies,it was pretty full on.

Oh,and its a palace and really only needs 4 people to sail it effectively offshore.

Unfortunately there are no polars for the boat.However on the Fastnet the other week we had a top speed of 22.7 kts in about 25kts of breeze( 1 reef in the main A2, at about 120TWA). Averaged about 17kts for the 170 miles back from the rock to the scillies,it was pretty full on.

Oh,and its a palace and really only needs 4 people to sail it effectively offshore.

Excellent! Fun, fun!!

Is there somehwhere in the world people can sail these 10 tonne plus boats with sub 100 sqm up wind sailplans and consistently average 10 knots?

I suppose I should qualify that with an outside of a lot of wind.......

Rapido 60 coming soon ! Launching November 30 if all goes well !

www.rapidotrimarans.com

All it takes is about $1.2mm to have it

I wonder if the pricetags of the new Bavaria Open 40 or TS 42 ( that started this thread ) are much different from the Dazcat 1495 or the new F-45 from http://www.multihullsdirect.com/2015-f-4545r.html

Some of the boats mentioned above are 60ft+. That is not really comparing apples to apples.

The Open 40 and the TS42 are fairly cheap relative to the Dazcat 1495 but very different size boats... I believe the F45 would be around similar dosh to the the first two. The multihulls direct guys are cost effective.

TS42 and new Dazcat did good in this years Fastnet. Didn't seem like a race for fast boats though looking at the other classes.

Is there a layout drawing for the Dazcat anywhere? I can see how its laid out in some of the interior pictures, but I'm seeing a pretty spartan, uncomfortable looking double berth in the photos and I'm hoping and praying that's not the "owner's suite".

Is there a layout drawing for the Dazcat anywhere? I can see how its laid out in some of the interior pictures, but I'm seeing a pretty spartan, uncomfortable looking double berth in the photos and I'm hoping and praying that's not the "owner's suite".

You movin' on up, Thunder Muffin? If so, I'll bring the rum.

I was browsing around can came across the Alibi 54' the other day.

It looks like a pretty cool boat. Also you can configure one just the way you like it and see the price "live", which is pretty cool (if not depressing).

http://www.alibi-catamarans.com/spec/

I wonder how that compares to a Gunboat in terms of performance, they seem pretty light (and have the following statement too:

• Your Alibi's weight is contractual and associated with a financial penalty of 100€ per Kg if the total weight exceeds a +/- 3% tolerance.

Anyone know more about these?

BTW, I spec'ed out an Alibi 54 with a/c, North 3Di sails, 46% carbon and a few other goodies for a total of € 1.374.800. Better looking and cheaper than the notorious Beiker 53 in my opinion but I guess I should don sack cloth and ashes and buy a Weta 4.4 or at most a Pulse 600 instead.

hi proa its not a folding tri, my understanding is that its demounteble for transport

Rapido 60 coming soon ! Launching November 30 if all goes well !

www.rapidotrimarans.com

Well, well. That is new. A 60' folding trimaran! Vessel design: Morrelli & Melvin
Displacement (light) 8.9t, Displacement (max load) 10.6t

http://www.rapidotrimarans.com/

BTW, I spec'ed out an Alibi 54 with a/c, North 3Di sails, 46% carbon and a few other goodies for a total of € 1.374.800. Better looking and cheaper than the notorious Beiker 53 in my opinion but I guess I should don sack cloth and ashes and buy a Weta 4.4 or at most a Pulse 600 instead.

Thing is with the Alibis everything on the surface looks very nice and they have some very hi-tech, "eco-friendly" options but to some extent it smells like a gilded pig. Maybe it's just a dodgy webpage (needs better translation) and a lack of a real review anywhere... I do like the online configurator.

Yeah, that's the reason I asked in the first place because they look really good on paper.

The website with the full configurator that includes cost and weight is pretty impressive and shows some serious commitment (especially if there is a penalty for being over the quoted weight as stated on there).

The few youtube vids look good too, it seems odd that you don't hear more about them. Then again maybe they have enough order backlog and aren't trying to push the marketing side so we will see what happens in the next couple of years.

It's not like I can afford anything like this anyway (or have any concrete reason to believe I ever will for that matter)...

Looked at it in Cannes last week and had a chat with the designer / builder.
Very nice boat, and looks properly executed.

Love the canting wheel.

Not sure if having the dinghy under the forward nets is really a brilliant idea, though.

interesting that Phil Stegall has put in with his comment on the trade only page

can see the need for him to be cautious with the knowledge in his head

he was doing a homebuild for himself a few years back anyone got an update?

Looks like the got the 3d modellers and animators that did Dire Straits "I Want My MTV" music video. Real cutting edge stuff!

Yeah Proa, something is not quite right about the scale of that beast as you so well put it. Unless the crew are all Lilliutians! Here is a 50' cat that I designed about 5 years ago, BEFORE the reverse bow became all the rage.

o8dzcEZ.jpg

I just don't think that you could squeeze that much cat into 50' LOA that the Young boat does. The renders on the website look much better though.

Your 50' design is a nice looking boat. What would designed displacement be? I know there would be a lot of variation based on materials and build location, but what do you think it would cost to get one built?

That design was a very simple clean hull form and in foam/S-glass with just some local carbon at the 'hard points' should be pretty reasonable to build. I've got a builder with a panel mold that could produce panels for a 'fold up' similar to Kelsalls system that might be applicable. Let me do a bit of homework.

er... maybe this needs it's own thread?

Love the canting wheel.

Not sure if having the dinghy under the forward nets is really a brilliant idea, though.

Any chance of some pictures?

er... maybe this needs it's own thread?

Love the canting wheel.

Any chance of some pictures?

Loic Goepfert, the designer / builder showed us around the boat. He seemed like a guy I would trust building a boat for me (quite frankly, not too many in the industry give me that feeling...)

Sorry, no pictures. We had already decided on another (2nd hand) cruising cat a few months before the show...

Not at all, SL - we started with the Opne 40 and TS 42 and with help from me and others drifted through Bali, Dazcat and several others before setlling back with Ablibi. I just wanted to make sure I was on track.

Only a few a factory built however spin echo.

Some times, a one off, of a very good design, built by a quality builder, is far superior to factory built.......

Some times, a one off, of a very good design, built by a quality builder, is far superior to factory built.......

True Keith, but since I have neither the time nor desire to oversee a project like the GF 1500 or even the Arrow 1200 I'll pass on them

True Keith, but since I have neither the time nor desire to oversee a project like the GF 1500 or even the Arrow 1200 I'll pass on them

Of course having a boat built, is the most expensive way too go, theres always great second hand boats around, and for good value in this economy, you just need too do some hunting..

Good luck.

IMO the Schionnings have unreasonably low payloads. If you buy a cruising boat you should be able to carry the people the thing has bunks for without overloading it at the very least but IIRC that is not the case for some of these boats. Been discussed before here or in CA. Use the search. But yes they are sexy.

For most of us, "sometimes" is not good enough to spend a few hundred thousand $$$ and lots of time and love on...