• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2016

Beau Geste with an amazing start, really used the East End of the harbor to their advantage.

Scallywag can't unfurl the spinaker, overtaken by WO XI

They had it cleared and refueled. Now it is royally twisted. Oops.

Loyal first out. Beau Geste second at first Mark. . SWag third. WOXI had a terrible start, had to sail through the V70s, 4th at 1st Mark, 3rd at outer Mark. . Loyal and SWag had trouble unfurling spinnakers. Good set on WOXI.

BG is still smoking up to weather, but a frac kite?

CQS back upright or did it fall out of the environment?

I believe it is the first boat of the bunch in the gap behind Giacomo. There is one that looks to be larger than Maserati so it fits the description.

Brief footage of CQS after start showed them heeled way over and going real slow. They're well back.

sWag was sailing heeled over a lot also...water ballast empty?

Things settling down outside. Loyal still leading. WOXI up to second. SWag finally with spin unfurled, but struggling with jib.

CQS to be fair was forced into a tack only to be pointed STRAIGHT at a caridnal mark, hence layover. Beau Geste crushed it! Second out to the turning mark!

Nothing has changed on Scallywag they should not be making those sort of sail handling mistakes. CQS were not sailed well at all either. Oats gaining on Loyal but the real winner so far is Beau Geste.

SW almost abeam of Oats. Loyal extending.

I had some free time today, so I created tracker for Sydney Hobart also.

Not sure if it is going to work properly, but will see after start.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

https://gis.ee/sh/

You're awesome.

Hey forss, any chance of being able to zoom in a little closer ??

Select navionics button at the button.

Then it is possible to zoom in more closer.

I had some free time today, so I created tracker for Sydney Hobart also.

Not sure if it is going to work properly, but will see after start.

Thank you, again, Forss.

VMC running? Watch Oats catch Loyal if so.

Looks like a tighter angle. Oats took down their staysail.

Is Maserati really next to BG?

Loyal great start but need to enjoy their lead while they can...The skinny lighter WOXI will roll her on the inside by Botany Bay putting aside Loyal being forced offshore by the angle. Scallywag crew work must be driving DW off his rocker. The CQSDuck looks more like a Pidgeon. Keep an eye on Alive the light skinny RP66 versus the VO70's not just boat speed but their respective naviguessers approach to the transition zone tomorrow morning ...will be interesting. A queintisential Sydney Boxing Day day...Love it.

Forss's tracker shows Maserati ahead of WOXI and nearly up to Loyal.

Live TV pictures tell a different story.
it's probably BG. IDK why it's mixed up.

CQS staring to stretch the legs, 17kts now

Is she still behind the VO70's?

Blackjack is just staying in touch / dropping off SW

Footage onboard showed quite a lot of swerving onboard CQS - me thinks they still trying to learn to use the foils

All sitting on 18kts, must be into some current of more wind

Live stream ended. 7 did a good job. Camerawork aboard the big boats was awesome.

I didn't realise the camera guys jumped off outside the heads & go picked up - I thought it was Go Pro coverage!

pretty much the same thing happens for the starts in the volvo. extra media aboard jumps off at the end of the inport portion.

Forss's tracker shows Maserati ahead of WOXI and nearly up to Loyal.

Live TV pictures tell a different story.
it's probably BG. IDK why it's mixed up.

Looks okay now:

post-26739-0-28498100-1482721927_thumb.png

That was pretty sloppy other than PL and BG. BG came out of no where to slip into second and is holding her own with the 100 footers. That could pay off in the end.

Really disappointed by CQS, getting knocked down in the harbor did not look good, Scallywag with the sloppy mark rounding and un-furl gave a lot away to WOXI. Not sure why they rounded-up when they were on top of Oats.

And way to the south is the ghost of Comanche, streaking away at 20+ knots!

No, thats sitting under shrinkwrap.

Live stream ended. 7 did a good job. Camerawork aboard the big boats was awesome.

I didn't realise the camera guys jumped off outside the heads & go picked up - I thought it was Go Pro coverage!

pretty much the same thing happens for the starts in the volvo. extra media aboard jumps off at the end of the inport portion.

wow-never thought about it before!

What a bunch of jokers on CQS. Bunch of muppets.

The Channal 7 feed outside AUS was greatttt!!!!! They saved us most of the commercials and only showed 7 ones. brilliant. Spectacular. Who do I send a note to?

interesting start by WOXI. I figure they were counting on having the whole fleet tightly overlapped so that when they sailed straight at the spectator boats, they could scream for room and force the entire fleet to tack. Whoever was the next boat, though, was bright enough to hold a big enough gap to be able to say "nah, you have plenty of room to tack and duck me, and then feel free to duck the entire rest of the fleet".

CQS is 1-2 kn slower than the VO70s, just staying ahead of Varuna. I would think this would be their most competitive point of sail.

MR makes himself look like a dick when he starts with the shouting and countermanding his own calls....he's got some serious talent around him (Harmo, Mothie et al) yet feels the need to tell them how to do their job instead of concentrating on doing his....ya gotta wonder if its all for the cameras.....and that start was not a percentage game...

Seriously dopey tactics on CQS. After deliberately stalling on the line absolutely forever they commenced sailing too late, drifted over at the start and had to duck back down to restart. That's what happens when the tide is going out. Then they tacked but didn't bother resetting the keel. No wonder the boat staggered.

Because they can't have been confident of slick crew work they would have been better off leaving the keel centered for the first 5 minutes of the race.

Mr Hintze might have done rather a lot of dough here. Does anyone know whether he bought or chartered the boat ? You could imagine him wanting to hand the boat back to Ingvall in Hobart and wave bye bye.

Maybe the secret to improved coverage is having WOXI screw up the start so the cameras and commentary are forced to report on other boats? Just saying...

Oats in 1st place, Scallywag closing to 0.5nm....... going to be an interesting next hour !

Loyal dropping back in terms of DTF because they're heading more out to sea, to set up for the gybe I guess. Won't really know who's leading until they've all gybed.

VO70s starting to run down BG. Bummer.

I have to say that I'm really glad that they finally got their shit together and that the live youtube stream is finally where it should have been years ago.

No problem watching it from canada.