dachopper

Sydney to Hobart 2016

2 years in a row for Oats at $1.40 a lot of people would have backed her that's a failure they wouldn't have expected. Perhaps time for some changes Loyal deserves a win big time imo

Going to hurt the Oatleys with probable unbeatable race record to Loyal - unless they invite multihulls. Two DNF in a row going to be interesting what happens to the program now

What a bummer as Loyal had a legit chance of beating Oats on the water.

They are beating Oats on the water. Oats is heading north because they broke, Loyal is charging south at 20 knots.

In order to win, first you must finish..

+1

bummer for the Oats crew,maybe Loyal was a safe bet...........don't know what witty is doing

Going to hurt the Oatleys with probable unbeatable race record to Loyal - unless they invite multihulls. Two DNF in a row going to be interesting what happens to the program now

New boat time... This one is worn out

Be surprised if we see a new supermaxi from this program.

Loyal was reeling in WOXI in those reaching conditions even before they broke. Looks like another 6 hours + of reaching. Loyal would have been several miles ahead before the wind kicked back aft to favor the skinny butt WOXI. I was hoping for a good head to head battle. Oh well. Loyal is in catbird seat for line honors, and has a real good shot at the record.

+1 will be double the pain..! Loyal quite a way ahead of race record. Ricco would be swearing the whole way home.

Be surprised if we see a new supermaxi from this program.

New backpacker ride in Airlie?

Koa at sub 5 kts for over half an hour...

Retired with steering damage.

Thanks for confirming. How did you hear? I thought I had every possible channel covered? 😜

Glamour!

The crowd on the headland actually screamed when this happened!

And then some really deep thinker in the throng added this pearl ... "once they put up the big sails, they will go faster"...

What's with you guys ? It's really very simple.

CQS tacked the hull and didn't tack the keel.

Keel motor stalled out and died.

And Oats would probably have been faster power reaching with the DSS

What DSS...? Loyal would have smoked them power reaching. They'd already eaten 4 miles in the medium air reaching, they would have been past Oats at this stage in the stronger stuff.

What DSS...? Loyal would have smoked them power reaching. They'd already eaten 4 miles in the medium air reaching, they would have been past Oats at this stage in the stronger stuff.

The one they took off the boat a couple of months ago

probably, maybe , if

Doh! One day people will listen to DL.

18 months ago? after the last cut n shunt.

Well should be an interesting finish now can Loyal hang on to the lead, can Scallywag get her skates on and can Giacomo win handicap...

More like 2-3 months ago

Ah I thought you were insinuating that they had DSS and would have been faster than Loyal. Carry on.

More like 2-3 months ago

Was done for last year's S2H, no?

A lot of people forgot you can't beat fat bottomed girls in those reaching conditions. Not a lot of boats to threaten Loyal now Scallywag bad as usual and CQS way slow. The Volvo's are about it and they run our of waterline eventually against 100's. Hope Loyal gets this.

So race record predictions? I reckon could be 4 hrs++ off!

Looking realistic. 230 miles to go with plenty of breeze. Only 'problem' is that it will come behind them approaching the turn towards Hobart but then it gives them a great angle to the finish.

Dare say we will be watching the finish at news time on this side of the rock

Looking realistic. 230 miles to go with plenty of breeze. Only 'problem' is that it will come behind them approaching the turn towards Hobart but then it gives them a great angle to the finish.

11 to 12 hours to Tasman Island?

Well should be an interesting finish now can Loyal hang on to the lead, can Scallywag get her skates on and can Giacomo win handicap...

SW coming in quick, but a little too late.

Doh! One day people will listen to DL.

Yeah too many big teams shunning his talent and paying the price.

Beau Geste seems to have come back to life some too, right there with Maserati and Black Jack. SW too far back, even with the speed she is showing now.

Owner of UBOX's name is Bin Wang - anyone wanna guess his nickname.

Hey, Scallywag has almost caught BG and one of the 70's. Awe-some...

Varuna or Giacomo for the corrected win?

11 to 12 hours to Tasman Island?

230 odd miles to go and ~160 miles of that reaching/ running in 15-20 knots then turn the corner and reach all until the final 10-15 miles where they harden up and make the finish in one tack

CQS seams to cap out around the 17 - 18kts mark ...

The water brakes must be hitting something...

I believe they've not yet perfected operating in 4th mode, after all it's all brand new

Loyal has Flinders on the beam. Looks to be holding beam wind for another 3 hours. After that the breeze starts going aft. Will have to start VMG angles at about 6 hour, jibe to stbd about 8 hours. Hobart about 12 hours from now?

Varuna is over a knot faster at the moment. Only 56'...

SCANAS, you are obviously an uneducated Assie redneck.

UBox owner is called Wang Bin - get it right and get used to it.

If you can't think anything better to say than attempting to make racist jokes about an owner deserving just as much respect as anyone else involved with the race then it is better that you say nothing.

He happens to be a friend of mine.

SS

Hang on, getting the popcorn!!!

Breeze going soft for the boats behind Varuna? Did Varuna make the break, or will they get swallowed?

Breeze going soft for the boats behind Varuna? Did Varuna make the break, or will they get swallowed?

still doing big numbers so so far so good

Varuna just over 20 knots. CQS just a few miles in front of them, doing 18.8.

Varuna is over a knot faster at the moment. Only 56'...

Varuna going 19.9 knots now - staying pace with the leaders....

Go Jens!!!

Can Scallywag run down the Volvo's.? Listening to David Witt's pre-race speech to the crew it was like he was speaking to school kids. I'm positive their crew work and overall strategy need to improve. Loyal has done well this year because they have finally gotten serious with their program. Scallywag should be very fast in these conditions but they let themselves down and end up playing catch up all the time.

If you can't think anything better to say than attempting to make racist jokes about an owner deserving just as much respect as anyone else involved with the race then it is better that you say nothing.

SS

Being called Big Wang is a compliment. Obviously did not intend to cause offence otherwise I would have posted something really offensive.

I reckon if Jens decides to do a Soldini & leave Varuna here, someone's going to have a new weapon that'll wreak havoc on the local scene...

Primitive Cool joining the Vendee Globe?

Can Scallywag run down the Volvo's.? Listening to David Witt's pre-race speech to the crew it was like he was speaking to school kids. I'm positive their crew work and overall strategy need to improve. Loyal has done well this year because they have finally gotten serious with their program. Scallywag should be very fast in these conditions but they let themselves down and end up playing catch up all the time.

SWag caught and passed BJ and BG. Closing gap quickly on Maserati...only 4.5 miles back. They're really hauling the mail. Too far back to catch Giacomo and Loyal, though.

I reckon if Jens decides to do a Soldini & leave Varuna here, someone's going to have a new weapon that'll wreak havoc on the local scene...

You can not go wrong buying a boat that Jens previously owned.... they do a fantastic job with the program and their boats...

Varuna, Ichi Ban, and Ubox all shown good speed for relatively 'small' boats.

Varuna, Ichi Ban, and Ubox all shown good speed for relatively 'small' boats.

Very impressive that Ubox has hung on this well to Ichi Ban in primarily downwind conditions..conditions that theoretically would be far in the TP's favor.

Ichi Ban's not a TP.

CQS is obliterating Wild Oats and Comanche. Props for showing up with something new and capable. More props to come of they can get it up to speed.

DRC

Varuna is less than a knot slower than Loyal and SWag at the moment. Faster than all the rest.

Ichi Ban's not a TP.

Try again.. Matt Allen owns Ichi Ban the Carkeek 60 and Ichi Ban the TP52(JV design). He took the TP this year..

Wild Oats? Never heard of them. Did they used to be good at sailing?

Wheels have fallen off that program since old Bob passed.

Ricko's start would have drawn criticism at Tackers level!

Time for some personnel changes/upgrades?

Ichi Ban's not a TP.

Try again.. Matt Allen owns Ichi Ban the Carkeek 60 and Ichi Ban the TP52(JV design). He took the TP this year..

He's technically correct, whilst built as a TP52 the JV52 has had substantial modifications so it depends how much of a pedant you want to be, I'd class it as an aussie TP though :)

Ichi Ban's not a TP.

He's technically correct, whilst built as a TP52 the JV52 has had substantial modifications so it depends how much of a pedant you want to be, I'd class it as an aussie TP though :)

Yes yes, I'm just assuming Roleur is talking about the Carkeek 60 not the 52..could be wrong though!

SS

Lighten up Jackie!!!!!

Your not in Kansas anymore!!!!!!

So wil there be a park up on the east coast?

Certainly looks like it from the forss.

Turkey Slapper & Scanas - maybe I am being a little over sensitive but I don't think so.

I am sure neither of you would appreciate being called a dick on a public forum like this which is, of course, the inference in SCANAS's post - but then again - if the cap fits, wear it.

And be careful who you upset as Wang is a pretty common Family Name in China.

"Face" is very important in China plus being called, in English, a 'dick' or 'prick' or 'wang' - large or small - is offensive however you wrap it up.

Anyway, rant over - back to the tracker where I notice Wang Bin's boat is doing rather better than any of the Queensland entries ;-) Mmm!

Cheers

SS

Varuna just over 20 knots. CQS just a few miles in front of them, doing 18.8.

Go!!!!!!!!!

#notbiased

Thanks mate x

"My commentary from the start (radio only as I was warned not to stream on Facebook or be sued),"

What a load of bullshit, why would they be worried jo punter will watch the TV coverage and the rest of us will have the TV on and watch your coverage on the computer. Just shows how far behind the time mainstream media is.

Was fantastic coverage by you and enjoyed the interviews, keep it up

CQS is obliterating Wild Oats and Comanche. Props for showing up with something new and capable. More props to come of they can get it up to speed.

DRC

can i have what you're smoking ?

although irrelevant, comanche would be 50 miles ahead of loyal if she were there. too bad they didn't show !

SS

You obviously don't get Australian humour

DRC

can i have what you're smoking ?

although irrelevant, comanche would be 50 miles ahead of loyal if she were there. too bad they didn't show !

Commanche maybe more than 50 miles ahead. CQS is struggling to stay ahead of a 56'er.

SS

You obviously don't get Australian humour

In other great examples of ozzy humor, the main STH site has a bunch of video interviews calling this run down the coast "the Everest of sailing".

I've been watching this race my whole life. But you ozzy fuckers need to talk to some French fuckers to get sorted on what the Everest of sailing looks like.

Turkey Slapper & Scanas - maybe I am being a little over sensitive but I don't think so.

I am sure neither of you would appreciate being called a dick on a public forum like this which is, of course, the inference in SCANAS's post - but then again - if the cap fits, wear it.

And be careful who you upset as Wang is a pretty common Family Name in China.

"Face" is very important in China plus being called, in English, a 'dick' or 'prick' or 'wang' - large or small - is offensive however you wrap it up.

Anyway, rant over - back to the tracker where I notice Wang Bin's boat is doing rather better than any of the Queensland entries ;-) Mmm!

Cheers

SS

;-) Mmm!! BLACKJACK?

Just sayin"

Stay by the phone mate. Word on he street is they are looking for an anonymous Internet know all who can't get a hobart ride to beef up the team. Keep in touch.

I've been watching this race my whole life. But you ozzy fuckers need to talk to some French fuckers to get sorted on what the Everest of sailing looks like.

Don't worry, we find that stuff just as cringeworthy as you do. It forms part of the backdrop of Aussie sports commentating that we all grow up with and loath. We used to joke about it, but it is past being a joke. One just accepts that the commentary will come from idiots whose brief is to talk up whatever sport they are put in front of, even if they can't tell the pointy end from the blunt end.

Stay by the phone mate. Word on he street is they are looking for an anonymous Internet know all who can't get a hobart ride to beef up the team. Keep in touch.

Yet again that vapid obsequious and self important internet know all LB decries any opinion other than his own. FYI I do know a few of and greatly respect all of those in the Oats program and also know that LB is not worthy to pass the piss bottle to any of them.

Seriously, its plain to see that their program is in dire need of organisational change. Two race-ending failures in two years for a high budget yacht that only races a few times a year and is set specifically for this race and the conditions expected to be encountered, speaks volumes.

Their omnipresent publicity machine prattles on about how the ever changing WOX1 has remained at the technological forefront since being launched but the cold hard facts are that technology has got the better of them. It could just be organisational complacency or perhaps they're actually starting to believe Mundle themselves.

Seriously, they are in dire need of organisational change. Two failures in two years for a yacht that only races a few times a year speaks volumes.

Sandy should have taken the 5 mill ... and run.

Some oligarch might offer them 1 mill after the latest soiree.